PDA

View Full Version : Asante Samuel, how much would it cost to sign him and would you do it?

phinphan896
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Asante Samuel just had an amazing year and hes an unrestricted free agent this year. Do we have the cap space to sign him and would you do it? It would make us stronger while making the patriots weaker.

elite14eva
01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
he'll cost too much for us.

VT Dolphan
01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
He'll cost a lot of money, but I wouldn't mind giving it to him. I rather pay top dollar for a cornerback than sign an outside linebacker like most people want to. If his demands are way too much, then I'd say pass on him. But if you can pay him what he is worth, then do it.

phish729
01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
this is the one player we need to make a serious move for. if u want quiality players in todays league you have to expect to compensate them well. he will be worth the money

kegman
01-28-2007, 01:32 PM
I would sign him if we have the cap space. ( i thouhgt i read somewhere that we have like 20 mil in space). I will admit to not watching too many pats games but he looked great in the play offs and taking from a rival is always best.:dolphins:

dominizzo
01-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Id like him at the right price

CitizenSnips
01-28-2007, 01:46 PM
he'll cost too much. Every FA corner who hits the market seems to get 10 million gauranteed every year. Or better. In short answer, he'll cost too much. I dont want him.

01-28-2007, 01:47 PM
You bet we should try to get this guy. Unfortunately, he will be wanting major $$$. He had a great season, and someone will show him the money.

Dolfan954
01-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Even worse, the Pats might end up franchising him, which means we'd have to give up a 1st round pick. If that's the case, Mueller will probably pass unless he intends to take a CB with the first pick. If that's the case, I'm all for it. Pay the man. He's 25 and will continue to be a stud for years to come.

MrEd
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Asante Samuel just had an amazing year and hes an unrestricted free agent this year. Do we have the cap space to sign him and would you do it? It would make us stronger while making the patriots weaker.

No, I wouldnt do it. Not that we cant afford him, but that I would spend the money elsewhere.

I really believe that we dont need to use top money or a 1st day pick to upgrade our secondary.

Im of the belief that the reason Mueller hasnt even mentioned DB as an area of priority in the offseason is because he thinks of Jason Allen as a budding star.

He's only mentioned a rushing OLB as an area of priority on the Defense.

I personally think that if we can add say an (Adalius Thomas) to the pass rush...and move Jason Allen to CB and Travis Daniels to S...we can improve our secondary.

CB: Allen
NB: Goodman

FS: Daniels
SS: Bell
S/DB: Hill

Then I would add a DB in say the 4th round for added depth as well as bring Mitchell up from the practice squad to fill out the last roster spot.

MGMBDF
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
If we only sign one free agent this year and it is him than I would be extremely happy.He would make this secondary a whole lot better immediately. He will probably get franchised,but you never know with the patriots.

Finfanforever
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
I believe that he has a tatoo that says "money" on his arm. That pretty much some it up...we have no chance. Also according to the media, he and the Pats are so far apart on neg. that the Pats may have to slap the "franchise" tag on him to prevent him from leaving. That type of news doesn't bode well for a cap-poor-many-needs-team like the Fins.:shakeno:

Popshark86
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Sign him what ever it takes

we need a CB that can cover a star receiver

Both Allens and Daniels are not able to do that kind of work ( they choke)

CitizenSnips
01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
No, I wouldnt do it. Not that we cant afford him, but that I would spend the money elsewhere.

I really believe that we dont need to use top money or a 1st day pick to upgrade our secondary.

Im of the belief that the reason Mueller hasnt even mentioned DB as an area of priority in the offseason is because he thinks of Jason Allen as a budding star.

I personally think that if we can add say an (Adalius Thomas) to the pass rush...and move Jason Allen to CB and Travis Daniels to S...we can improve our secondary.

Then I would add a DB in say the 4th round for added depth as well as bring Mitchell up from the practice squad to fill out the last roster spot.

put down madden...step away from the controller.

Desides
01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
In short... too much, and no.

3Ply Stagliano
01-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Should any team really sign someone after they have a big big year? Surely his cost is going to be huge and he would gobble up cap space? Wouldn't it make more sense to try to get someone a bit cheaper and leave more cash for other priority positions? I'm not saying that's definitely right, just asking. I can understand the desire for a top notch CB. It would help considerably.

Popshark86
01-28-2007, 02:12 PM

lol

I was going to say the same thing

PyroDOLFAN
01-28-2007, 02:26 PM

He is worth it though. The dolphins will have plenty of cap room for him with all the free agents we have this year. We have yet to have an outstanding Corner for a while since Surtain.

CitizenSnips
01-28-2007, 02:27 PM
He is worth it though. The dolphins will have plenty of cap room for him with all the free agents we have this year. We have yet to have an outstanding Corner for a while since Surtain.
No we wont...we have 17 mill man...and over 40 free agents. Samual would cost somewhere in between a qtr to a whole half of that money. He is not worth that.

Now the SF Niners, they have over 40 mill in FA money. THEY have the money to throw around for him.

djphinfan
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
He's a punk,,i don't want our team anywhere near him and his, I HAVE A BIG YEAR IN MY CONTRACT YEAR,,I BEAT MY OWN CHEST WHEN I MAKE A GOOD PLAY IN A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND I GET A TATOO OF GET PAID ON MY ARM, I'am sorry if i disagree with most,,real men don't act like that,let someone else have him.

elite14eva
01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
he'll sign elsewhere...we never land big free agents.

MGMBDF
01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe we can land Fred Thomas from the saints. He should come pretty cheap.

Rytackle22
01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I wish we'd have to pay him 15 mil at the VERY least and we need to save room to sighn our draft picks.

CitizenSnips
01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Mueller did draft him originally...

But god no, he sucks so bad. :lol:

miami_fins13
01-28-2007, 02:53 PM
:shakeno:

23_Phins_84
01-28-2007, 03:05 PM
He's a punk,,i don't want our team anywhere near him and his, I HAVE A BIG YEAR IN MY CONTRACT YEAR,,I BEAT MY OWN CHEST WHEN I MAKE A GOOD PLAY IN A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND I GET A TATOO OF GET PAID ON MY ARM, I'am sorry if i disagree with most,,real men don't act like that,let someone else have him.

So, youre content with a Defensive lineman catching as many ints as our two starting CBs combined? And yes, let someone else have him. That way Culpepper can throw him an INT that way you have another thing to put him down for.

anzsom
01-28-2007, 04:26 PM

:lol:...:sidelol:

dolphan98
01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
:shakeno:

He was being sarcastic. There's a good chance that Fred Thomas won't even be in the NFL next year. He was absolutely pathetic in the playoffs.

dolphan98
01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
No we wont...we have 17 mill man...and over 40 free agents. Samual would cost somewhere in between a qtr to a whole half of that money. He is not worth that.

Now the SF Niners, they have over 40 mill in FA money. THEY have the money to throw around for him.

Yeah but guys are going to be cut and some contracts will be restructured. I think we'll have the cap space to pick up one elite free agent but you have to ask yourself if that one guy is worth more than two solid free agents.

PJack
01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Champ Bailey signed for 63mm for 7 years in 2005. Samuel is no Champ Bailey, but I suspect he will sign for somewhere in that ballpark given so many teams have a ton of cap room. In our situation, I think it's putting too many eggs in one basket. This is an excellent DB draft class so we should be able to get some help on the first day.

phinphan896
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
He'll cost a lot of money, but I wouldn't mind giving it to him. I rather pay top dollar for a cornerback than sign an outside linebacker like most people want to. If his demands are way too much, then I'd say pass on him. But if you can pay him what he is worth, then do it.
id be willing to pay him close to champ bailey because he is an elite corner. last year he had the most interceptions along with champ bailey (they both had 10). If you play like the best then you deserve to get paid like the best.
we really need a corner too.

MrEd
01-28-2007, 07:44 PM

:confused:

MrEd
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
lol

:confused:

MrEd
01-28-2007, 07:47 PM

This is not true. We will have close to $30mil after 6 cuts and 2 or 3 restructures...

MrEd
01-28-2007, 07:50 PM

:confused: Im still waiting for your explanation :rolleyes2

MrEd
01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
lol

:rolleyes2 ...and still waiting for yours...sherlock :rolleyes2

Ark139954
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
this is the one player we need to make a serious move for. if u want quiality players in todays league you have to expect to compensate them well. he will be worth the moneycouldnt agree more...i think we should get this guy at all costs

23_Phins_84
01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
The only person I would not give up for Samuel is the guy in the above posters sig

slyfox13
01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Asante Samuel just had an amazing year and hes an unrestricted free agent this year. Do we have the cap space to sign him and would you do it? It would make us stronger while making the patriots weaker. no i wouldn't sign him. we wont have to worry about weakening the patsys cause they aren't gonna sign him either for what he wants.:wink:

JGray20
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Samuels was nothing coming out of UCF. Let's just find our own Asante, and develop them. Maybe have a coach who knows something about DBs. A kid like David Irons would be perfect for us to draft.

CitizenSnips
01-28-2007, 09:16 PM
:confused: Im still waiting for your explanation :rolleyes2

Ok. Signing Adelius Thomas? Hes probably going to be the most wanted defensive player in free agency this year, if hes not tagged by baltimore of course. We dont have the money for him.

Secondly, You cant just move a safety to cornerback, and then move a cornerback to safety. You can, however, do that in madden pretty easily.

tdmiami
01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
spend all the money, his an awsum cb, one of the best + his only 25

CitizenSnips
01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
This is not true. We will have close to $30mil after 6 cuts and 2 or 3 restructures...
Whoa can i see this crystal ball of yours that shows whose going to be cut, and who were going to be able to restructure? How can you assume we're going to free up 13 million?

please explain this? Who are we going to cut? Whose going to restructure?

phinphan896
01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
my only worry is that the patsies slap the franchise tag on him but i dont think their willing to guarantee hamp bailey money to him so we should have a shot.

footballer
01-28-2007, 10:30 PM

true.

but so so so worth it..
man i wouldve never guessed i would have missed sam and pat so much..

altough travis is coming along, we had the best ssecondary in the league for 4 or 5 years straight...
and now its almost pityful...
we need defensive help.
he would help.
although not at champ bailey money..

phinphan896
01-28-2007, 10:38 PM
true.

but so so so worth it..
man i wouldve never guessed i would have missed sam and pat so much..

altough travis is coming along, we had the best ssecondary in the league for 4 or 5 years straight...
and now its almost pityful...
we need defensive help.
he would help.
although not at champ bailey money..
to get him wed gave to pay champ bailey money

dolpns13
01-28-2007, 11:03 PM
well he did get a tatoo that says pay day, or pay me so the pats can keep his "all for the cash A**" I just lost all respect for this joker

spydertl79
01-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I think he'll want 5-6 million per year

dolpns13
01-28-2007, 11:42 PM
id be willing to pay him close to champ bailey because he is an elite corner. last year he had the most interceptions along with champ bailey (they both had 10). If you play like the best then you deserve to get paid like the best.
we really need a corner too.

What are you talking about? Last year as in 2005? If thats what you are talking about then you are WAAAAY off. In 2005 Bailey had 8 picks, Samuel had 3. Samuel isn't a pro bowler and isnt a elite corner in this league. Now he may turn out to be an elite corner but as it stands now, just because you have 1 good season in terms of interceptions, doesnt make you elite. Being a good corner year in and year out consistently make you an elite corner and Samuel hasnt proven that yet. He doesnt deserve Champ Bailey money.

Elliott 1
01-28-2007, 11:49 PM
It's as tough of a decision as any can be. I would have to know everything about the off season progress of Poole and Mitchell. If there was any real chance that either one of these guys has total recovery from knee surgery and could possibly develope into a great corner, I'd say no too expensive. But if we are looking at Eddie Jackson and Michael Lehan; maybe we do have to make a radical move and pray the dude doesn't get hurt.

satz
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Just .2 cents in their .... about asante game style.His interception on most have been with safety help.Unlike champ bailey you cannot put him on a island with a WR.You give him safety help and he gets good as if he blows the safety is giving support.
Also,some are balls thrown wrongly i have not seen him go get his hand and fight for a ball ever.

phinphan896
01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Just .2 cents in their .... about asante game style.His interception on most have been with safety help.Unlike champ bailey you cannot put him on a island with a WR.You give him safety help and he gets good as if he blows the safety is giving support.
Also,some are balls thrown wrongly i have not seen him go get his hand and fight for a ball ever.
to get double digit interceptions in a season cant just be pure luck or safety help. He had to be doing something right.

satz
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
to get double digit interceptions in a season cant just be pure luck or safety help. He had to be doing something right.
I am not discrediting him .But saying just because he make a big check does not mean you can throw him in a new system and except him to play the same .
I actually think he will have similar success with the jets as they run the same back field defence.

Huscroft6
01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
No, not worth the money he'll make. Had a big cntract year, made alot of mistakes because he gambled to make a lot of INT's, saw alot of him living uo here. NO WAY worth the money, let get OLine help instead.

satz
02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Cap room 18 million
Top 9 pick - assume signs a contract with a signing bonus of 5 million and salary for 2007.
Now cap reduced to 13 million and roster spot open 11 for starters and then you need money for the 80 players for training camp start.All require some sort of money which eats the cap number too.

Asanta is going to get 9 million signing bonus at the minimum so that will drop the cap to 4-5 million.

Is 5 million enought to field 28 players for training camp and sign 11 starters at the end of cut off date?I have seen threads where people are talking about cutting 6 players for a gain of 9 million .which means they will have 14 million to get 28 players and 17 starters now.

Straztheman
02-05-2007, 09:38 AM

I dont see t-dan as a corner

MustangFinFan
02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
sometimes its worth overpaying someone...ok i know that sounds stupid. but we desperately need a shutdown corner who can cover fast receivers...obviously Will Allen, Travis Daniels, Andre Goodman have troubles doing that...who else is available as a CB in the free agency? If Asante Samuel is too much, like absurdly too much...im sure there are others we could sign. i hope Wayne can convince our players to take a generous paycut, restructure some contracts....bring in Adalius Thomas, Kris Dielman, Dante Stallworth. perhaps we could then DRAFT a CB...draft Leon Hall in the 2nd since he is apparently falling, or draft a CB with our 1st pick...there, we have 2 shutdown corners right there....Jason Allen and Yeremiah Bell at Safety...so our DB unit is one of the youngest and fastest in the NFL...we could then part ways with Will Allen and Renaldo Hill...save some money. unless ud rather move Jason Allen to CB and draft Laron Landry to put at FS. but i think Jason is better suited for FS.

in all...if Asante Samuel is gonna be like Lavar Arrington and want a ridiculous amount of money...hey as long as he isnt with the Patsies anymore, let him go elsewhere. But if one of our experts can convince him to come cheaper over here.....id take him anyday.

nick1
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
we should get this guy, he is among the best corners in the league. #1 corners are rare and well worth the money. we can get a good OLB in the draft like Gaines Adams in the 1st or Earl Everett in the 3rd or even Jon Beason in the 5th. #1 corners are rare, when you can get one you should

Sethdaddy8
02-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Now that Nate Clements wants 9 mil a year, I'm sure Asante's price tag has gone up as well. I originally wanted one of these 2 guys, but it may not make sense for us.

DeDolfan
02-17-2007, 03:58 PM

May as well forget him now. He just got the tag.

miamiron
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm shocked New England is going to pay him that kind of money
but then again they have so much cap space they could sign a few more
studs

satz
02-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm shocked New England is going to pay him that kind of money
but then again they have so much cap space they could sign a few more
studs

His market rate is around 12-14 million signing bonus with a 30 million dollar contract.
franchise tag 7.7 million.... i look as this as a bargain .

WindyCityDolfan
03-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Cap room 18 million
Top 9 pick - assume signs a contract with a signing bonus of 5 million and salary for 2007.
Now cap reduced to 13 million and roster spot open 11 for starters and then you need money for the 80 players for training camp start.All require some sort of money which eats the cap number too.

Asanta is going to get 9 million signing bonus at the minimum so that will drop the cap to 4-5 million.

Is 5 million enought to field 28 players for training camp and sign 11 starters at the end of cut off date?I have seen threads where people are talking about cutting 6 players for a gain of 9 million .which means they will have 14 million to get 28 players and 17 starters now.

That is not how the cap works....if someone gets a signing bonus of 10 million on a 5 year contract it only count for 2 million against the cap each year.

banzaitrey
03-07-2007, 03:15 AM
I would have liked to have gotten him...I think he is a little overrated but still a good player