PDA

View Full Version : RIP Barbaro

bullseyeguy
01-29-2007, 02:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_ylt=AnxleAErJAusQLSiw25o2Bw5nYcB?slug=ap-barbarodeath&prov=ap&type=lgns

The horse was euthanized this morning due to complications stemming from his broken leg....

Section126
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
That last series of surgeries had me scratching my head really.

it seemed as if they were trying to get his leg to 100%.

the only reason why that would have been necessary is if you wanted him to be able to carry alot of weight on it. Colts need to be able to hold themselves on their hind legs to mate.

Getting the picture?

Sad day...

bullseyeguy
01-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, its clear the only thing the owners were interested in was having a "stud" stud, after all its all about the benjamins right?

Section126
01-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, its clear the only thing the owners were interested in was having a "stud" stud, after all its all about the benjamins right?

Yeah..unfortunately.

PhinzN703
01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
:boohoo: Stupid a$$ "sport". Sure horses don't always get hurt racing, but when they do, the likelihood of them being put to sleep is great. What did Barbaro do to deserve this? He probably liked to just run around and be a regular old horse but of course us humans had to turn him into a race horse.

Ban horse racing :fire:

ac_lanham
01-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Yep, sad day if you're a horse racing fan. I cringed when he broke his leg on the track at the Preakness

Prime Time
01-29-2007, 03:25 PM
I just heard last night on ESPN that everything was good and that the owners would not put him to sleep unless he was in severe pain. RIP Barbaro.

cnc66
01-29-2007, 03:25 PM
elmers baby !

ac_lanham
01-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I just heard last night on ESPN that everything was good and that the owners would not put him to sleep unless he was in severe pain. RIP Barbaro.

According to Yahoo, he had a pretty rough night last night. I had a feeling it was coming though...sad indeed

Section126
01-29-2007, 03:38 PM
:boohoo: Stupid a$$ "sport". Sure horses don't always get hurt racing, but when they do, the likelihood of them being put to sleep is great. What did Barbaro do to deserve this? He probably liked to just run around and be a regular old horse but of course us humans had to turn him into a race horse.

Ban horse racing :fire:

that is going a little too far.

PhinzN703
01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
that is going a little too far.

To you sure, to me, no. A horse gets put to sleep for no reason other then human greed.

I hate that reality

finswin56
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
elmers baby !
You're so bad :lol:
I don't get why this had the whole country captivated. It's sad, but it's still just a horse.
Then again, I don't horse racing at all. Just seems like a way to use animals for profit. No real need being fulfilled, and competition between non-humans is just irrelevant IMO.

NJFINSFAN1
01-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Yep, he should have been put to sleep months ago.

Alex44
01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
To you sure, to me, no. A horse gets put to sleep for no reason other then human greed.

I hate that reality

Cows and Chickens get slaughtered at the expense of human hunger. Now you can say we all need to eat, but the animals in the wild are given a fighting chance. The ones we ear are born to die.

So unless your a vegetarian I dont see how you can say that.

Amars
01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
elmers baby !

:lol:

Sticks like a champ.

Section126
01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
You're so bad :lol:
I don't get why this had the whole country captivated. It's sad, but it's still just a horse.
Then again, I don't horse racing at all. Just seems like a way to use animals for profit. No real need being fulfilled, and competition between non-humans is just irrelevant IMO.

There are Jockeys on these horses...last time I checked they are still human.

BTW...the "elmers" comments are cute.

He will be burried on a farm somewhere in kentucky under a marked grave with a bronze statue marking his grave.

Far from the "elmers" treatment.

bullseyeguy
01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
I really don't get the glue comments, does someone need to make the same tired, unfunny joke every time a horse dies? Do people actually still laugh at the most unoriginal joke ever? The people that get humor out of an animal dying are probably the same people that kick their dogs, grow up...

finswin56
01-29-2007, 05:39 PM

He will be burried on a farm somewhere in kentucky under a marked grave with a bronze statue marking his grave.

The same jockeys whom are routinely treated far worse than their animal counter parts.
These horses are treated like trust fund babies, while the majority of jockeys around the world are treated like indentured servants. Even the "star" jockeys don't get it as good as the horses.

Yeah, the human element is held is really high regard :rolleyes:

ac_lanham
01-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Would be nice if they buried him on the infield of Churchill Downs

Section126
01-29-2007, 06:10 PM
The same jockeys whom are routinely treated far worse than their animal counter parts.
These horses are treated like trust fund babies, while the majority of jockeys around the world are treated like indentured servants. Even the "star" jockeys don't get it as good as the horses.

Yeah, the human element is held is really high regard :rolleyes:

Oh yeah...those "Star" jockeys that make around 2 to 4 million a year?

Oh yeah..they are abused.....:rolleyes:

BTW..Jerry Bailey and Frank Dettori routinely made around 7 to 10 million a year. So they were really treated like crap as well.

finswin56
01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh yeah...those "Star" jockeys that make around 2 to 4 million a year?

Oh yeah..they are abused.....:rolleyes:

BTW..Jerry Bailey and Frank Dettori routinely made around 7 to 10 million a year. So they were really treated like crap as well.
I didn't say the stars were treated like crap. What I said is they still don't have it as good as the horses.
And, you know I'm right about the other jockey's. The "star" jockeys are few and far between. The "others", that are treated like dirt, make up the vast majority of the jockey population around the world.

icephinfan
01-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I really don't get the glue comments, does someone need to make the same tired, unfunny joke every time a horse dies? Do people actually still laugh at the most unoriginal joke ever? The people that get humor out of an animal dying are probably the same people that kick their dogs, grow up...

Agreed.

Unreal about some of these jokes.:shakeno:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2007, 07:26 PM
:deadhorse

phinman1
01-29-2007, 07:40 PM

Lighten up Frances.

Mike13
01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
It was a sad story that such a talented animal died butI don't see why people are making such a big deal about this.

Amars
01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Its a freaking HORSE. I dont know why so many care. This shouldnt even be news. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of people who are feeling bad never met the horse, never touched, never talked, never seen the horse race, never knew of the horse even after he won the derby. The only people that should be sad were people who actually made money on the horse because they wont make anymore.

go_fins
01-30-2007, 12:12 AM
What a freaking disgrace! This horse should have been put to sleep long ago. I can't believe that there's Human children dying because they don't have enough to eat and some fat cat owner is paying thousands of $$$$ to save some stupid horse. He should have donated that money to AIDS or Cancer research and help save Human lives. The owner should be ashamed of himself!.:fire:

Section126
01-30-2007, 01:05 AM
What a freaking disgrace! This horse should have been put to sleep long ago. I can't believe that there's Human children dying because they don't have enough to eat and some fat cat owner is paying thousands of $$$$ to save some stupid horse. He should have donated that money to AIDS or Cancer research and help save Human lives. The owner should be ashamed of himself!.:fire:

Brilliant.

Race Horses are insured.

Some are insured for millions of dollars due to potential value as a stud. Such as barbaro.

The money used to try to save him was already paid in premiums.

Section126
01-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Its a freaking HORSE. I dont know why so many care. This shouldnt even be news. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of people who are feeling bad never met the horse, never touched, never talked, never seen the horse race, never knew of the horse even after he won the derby. The only people that should be sad were people who actually made money on the horse because they wont make anymore.

I met the Horse. he raced at Gulfstream months before the derby and won the Holly Bull Stakes. A friend of mine was working for a trainer friend of his and he let me into the paddock area to see him as there was a whole lot of buzz about him even that early on....

There is nothing wrong with feeling sorry for a noble animal that just gave and gave and never took.

Amars
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I met the Horse. he raced at Gulfstream months before the derby and won the Holly Bull Stakes. A friend of mine was working for a trainer friend of his and he let me into the paddock area to see him as there was a whole lot of buzz about him even that early on....

There is nothing wrong with feeling sorry for a noble animal that just gave and gave and never took.

Well you met the horse which is different. As for everyone else they never knew who he was until after he broke his hoof.

Vertical Limit
01-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Well you met the horse which is different. As for everyone else they never knew who he was until after he broke his hoof.
No, not really. I for one enjoy horse racing, especially the Kentucky Derby. I followed Barbaro in his racing career. Before the Kentucky, he was 6-0 undefeated. 4 weeks before the Kentucky Derby, I was thinking either Brother Derrick, Bluegrass Cat, or Barbaro would win the Kentucky. A few days later, I had Barbaro to win it and he did, made quite alot of money too, but the way Barbaro won it, after being behind 3/4's of the the field was incredible.

Barbaro had a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear in him. Think about it this way, Prado didn't even use the whip in the entire race. Barbaro was extremely smart and he knew when it was time to turn it on, and he had amazing speed plus the stamina to do it. Had he stayed healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he became the best horse to ever race in history.

It's a sad day for us horse racing fans. This horse really had me jumping up and down during the race. Rest in peace Barbaro. :boohoo:

One last look at his best, the video of the Kentucky Derby 2006:
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2006/derby_videos/index.html?videonumber=195&videotype=racing

PhinzN703
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Cows and Chickens get slaughtered at the expense of human hunger. Now you can say we all need to eat, but the animals in the wild are given a fighting chance. The ones we ear are born to die.

So unless your a vegetarian I dont see how you can say that.

Animals die or we starve vs Animals die b/c rich old people want to make money.

How is it the same?

PhinzN703
01-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Ok, well then you can go on not giving a damn while the ones who do, will. It's as simple as that

Amars
01-30-2007, 12:10 PM
it a shame that people give their sympathy for a horse they had no connection to while there are young kids in Iraq getting killed daily. I wonder how many sympathy cards their family received. As for you Vertical limit like I stated before their few who even knew the horse and the only one that should feel anything are people who follow and bet on horses which is very small minority. Which includes you and Section who has actually seen the horse in person and is a gambling person so he likes horse racing.

Enforcerfin33
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
it a shame that people give their sympathy for a horse they had no connection to while there are young kids in Iraq getting killed daily. I wonder how many sympathy cards their family received. As for you Vertical limit like I stated before their few who even knew the horse and the only one that should feel anything are people who follow and bet on horses which is very small minority. Which includes you and Section who has actually seen the horse in person and is a gambling person so he likes horse racing.
You have a real hatred for this horse...its ok..let it out...I'm here for ya buddy. Now he's Alpo...hes in a better place:sidelol:

Amars
01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
No hatred toward the horse but cmon its a freakin Horse.
Just look at this and its ridiculous.
Babaro (http://www.vet.upenn.edu/barbaro/messageboard.php)

bullseyeguy
01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
it a shame that people give their sympathy for a horse they had no connection to while there are young kids in Iraq getting killed daily. I wonder how many sympathy cards their family received. As for you Vertical limit like I stated before their few who even knew the horse and the only one that should feel anything are people who follow and bet on horses which is very small minority. Which includes you and Section who has actually seen the horse in person and is a gambling person so he likes horse racing.I just want to put my name in the hat, I knew who Barbaro was..

I dont think anyone has to care about him, I just think there is a time and a place for everything...Its a little disrespectful to come in, a few hours after he died, to a thread where people are mourning his passing and make tasteless jokes. Also to people like you who dont care, why would you even read the thread, and then feel compelled to tell people that they shouldnt care?

ac_lanham
01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Not to start a flaming war here but I knew who Barbaro was before, during, and after the Derby...I actually thought it would be Brother Derek who won the Derby (as did many others) because he was the hot hand and had all the hype. I follow some racing events outside the Triple Crown events but I love watching the Triple Crown events because I want to see a horse win all three (I'm no gambler or anything, just fun to me). For those of you who don't care, don't make distasteful comments and then come back and call us distasteful for caring...

spydertl79
01-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I heard they had a $20,000,000 insurance policy on him.

Amars
01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
I heard they had a $20,000,000 insurance policy on him.

the ins. co must be crying.

Enforcerfin33
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I just want to put my name in the hat, I knew who Barbaro was..

I dont think anyone has to care about him, I just think there is a time and a place for everything...Its a little disrespectful to come in, a few hours after he died, to a thread where people are mourning his passing and make tasteless jokes. Also to people like you who dont care, why would you even read the thread, and then feel compelled to tell people that they shouldnt care?
Dude seriously....it was a HORSE.

Enforcerfin33
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Not to start a flaming war here but I knew who Barbaro was before, during, and after the Derby...I actually thought it would be Brother Derek who won the Derby (as did many others) because he was the hot hand and had all the hype. I follow some racing events outside the Triple Crown events but I love watching the Triple Crown events because I want to see a horse win all three (I'm no gambler or anything, just fun to me). For those of you who don't care, don't make distasteful comments and then come back and call us distasteful for caring...
wow, deja va....cmon, it was a HORSE. Do you cry everytime you eat a hamburger, or a hotdog, or you hit a squirrel? If so...they have doctors for that.

PhinzN703
01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Dude seriously....it was a HORSE.

And again, this is your opinion. To you, it's just a horse. To others, it's something much more. What's the problem here? Some of us disagree with others. It's okay. Move on

PhinzN703
01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
wow, deja va....cmon, it was a HORSE. Do you cry everytime you eat a hamburger, or a hotdog, or you hit a squirrel? If so...they have doctors for that.

Again this is totally different. I personally WOULD cry if they showed me the pic of the cow who I just had a burger from. If they showed me the cow's face, and then showed me the knife cutting the cow open. To me that would be sad. That isn't how it works though. We get the finished product. And we buy these things to survive on.

Barbara was a horse. Sure, if he was bred to race, then he's a racehorse. But did he have any say in it? Course not, he's an animal. He was made to race w.o any horse consent (ridiculous to say of course).

Now he's dead. Nothing anyone can do about it. He died b/c of greed

DonShula84
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
No hatred toward the horse but cmon its a freakin Horse.
Just look at this and its ridiculous.
Babaro (http://www.vet.upenn.edu/barbaro/messageboard.php)

I agree it has gone a bit far. It was sad that this animal had to suffer so much pain and I can understand as an animal lover or a lover of the "sport" to be sad, but it got out of control imo. I'm still shocked that the family got over 1 mill in donations for the medical equipment that was keeping him alive. For some reason I think the family that owns race horse isnt exactly strapped for cash.

Motion
01-30-2007, 04:10 PM
This has gotten a bit out of hand. People act like its a National Tragedy. I still think the main reason they kept him alive as long as they did was to milk him for his ***** for breeding purposes.

trate121hb
01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
This has gotten a bit out of hand. People act like its a National Tragedy. I still think the main reason they kept him alive as long as they did was to milk him for his ***** for breeding purposes.

dude if u dont like horse racing u wont understand.....its sad.....keep ur opinions to urself if ur gonna complain about people grieving.....its a sad situation.....

Motion
01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
dude if u dont like horse racing u wont understand.....its sad.....keep ur opinions to urself if ur gonna complain about people grieving.....its a sad situation.....

I didn't say I didn't like horse racing, nor did I say it wasn't sad. Get a grip. I'm not complaining at all. I just think its getting blown out of porportion.

trate121hb
01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
ppl who dont care about horseracing shouldnt be on this thread......my family has a history in the horseracing business and i know how everything works...i love the sport and its sad and yes im grieving a bit......why is that wrong.....

trate121hb
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
in a few days the media will calm things down....but this horse captured the heart of the country as many do in the business

Motion
01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
ppl who dont care about horseracing shouldnt be on this thread......my family has a history in the horseracing business and i know how everything works...i love the sport and its sad and yes im grieving a bit......why is that wrong.....

Dude relax! No one is saying its wrong. I'm sure it does hit people in the business much harder. Don't take anything I said so personally, it wasn't meant that way at all.

bullseyeguy
01-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Dude relax! No one is saying its wrong. I'm sure it does hit people in the business much harder. Don't take anything I said so personally, it wasn't meant that way at all.What you said wasnt bad, just some people are trying to tell others that they shouldnt care about it because its just an animal...I dont really advocate trying to force your beliefs on others, so I take offense to someone telling me how I should or shouldnt feel....

Section126
01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
BTW..it is being reported that he may be buried on the grounds of Churchill Downs...

Enforcerfin33
01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Its a public thread bud, and if your grieving over a race horse thats you man, all I'm saying is there are so many bigger and better things to be spending all this media attention on than a horse, who BTW, is just one of many that get put down everyday, and most are not done as nicely as his. Honestly putting him under was a lot better then letting him live through all the pain he would have been facing in his future.

Enforcerfin33
01-30-2007, 04:42 PM
What you said wasnt bad, just some people are trying to tell others that they shouldnt care about it because its just an animal...I dont really advocate trying to force your beliefs on others, so I take offense to someone telling me how I should or shouldnt feel....
I'm sure some of this is pointed at me so, I'm not saying dont care bro, I'm just saying.....its a horse. If you are grieving over a horse, then it leads me to believe you have lived a sheltered life, IMO. I have lost so many loved ones personally and hundreds of people do everyday, but they dont make the news, so no, I dont see the need to grieve for a horse. I save my grieving for my loved ones.

PhinzN703
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm sure some of this is pointed at me so, I'm not saying dont care bro, I'm just saying.....its a horse. If you are grieving over a horse, then it leads me to believe you have lived a sheltered life, IMO. I have lost so many loved ones personally and hundreds of people do everyday, but they dont make the news, so no, I dont see the need to grieve for a horse. I save my grieving for my loved ones.

I for one are not grieving, but it does make me sad. I love animals to death, and whenever we are shown the animal on TV or in person, it affects b/c not only do we know the animal is real, we always SEE them.

It'll blow over eventually, that's how life is. Until then, we have one thing solved. You and a few other guys think it's stupid to give a damn about a horse.

Me and some others are the opposite.

Life moves ahead with or without us anyway

icephinfan
01-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Not really, I follow horse racing and go to Santa Anita Park often, I heard about Barbaro before he began racing. They said they had a horse who was in training and could be really special, and he was.

Motion
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) - For the last eight months, one of Dean Richardson's first stops on his morning rounds was Barbaro's ICU stall.

Richardson looked into the colt's bright eyes, made sure he was comfortable and formed an emotional bond with the Kentucky Derby winner that maybe only owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson equaled.

One day after Barbaro was euthanized, the morning rounds felt terribly empty.
"I'm still having trouble dealing with it," said Richardson, the chief of surgery for the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, his voice cracking. "I don't really want to talk about it. It's still hard to deal with."

Even so, Richardson had plenty to do Tuesday. Back in surgery, he popped out briefly in the New Bolton lobby to give one person a medical update on her horse, cracking a few jokes and putting the owner at ease about her stallion.

Just another day at the office.

"That's what I do," Richardson said.

But not everything was back to normal at New Bolton a day after Barbaro was euthanized after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's
Preakness. Staffers were subdued, and the floral deliveries arrived with sympathy cards attached instead of messages of hope:

"Barbaro, you fought the good fight. You will always be a champion. Love you!!!!!"
"In loving memory of Barbaro, champion of our hearts."

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/6425200

PhinzN703
01-31-2007, 12:03 PM
KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) - For the last eight months, one of Dean Richardson's first stops on his morning rounds was Barbaro's ICU stall.

Richardson looked into the colt's bright eyes, made sure he was comfortable and formed an emotional bond with the Kentucky Derby winner that maybe only owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson equaled.

One day after Barbaro was euthanized, the morning rounds felt terribly empty.
"I'm still having trouble dealing with it," said Richardson, the chief of surgery for the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, his voice cracking. "I don't really want to talk about it. It's still hard to deal with."

Even so, Richardson had plenty to do Tuesday. Back in surgery, he popped out briefly in the New Bolton lobby to give one person a medical update on her horse, cracking a few jokes and putting the owner at ease about her stallion.

Just another day at the office.

"That's what I do," Richardson said.

But not everything was back to normal at New Bolton a day after Barbaro was euthanized after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's
Preakness. Staffers were subdued, and the floral deliveries arrived with sympathy cards attached instead of messages of hope:

"Barbaro, you fought the good fight. You will always be a champion. Love you!!!!!"
"In loving memory of Barbaro, champion of our hearts."

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/6425200

R.I.P. Champ

adamprez2003
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I just want to put my name in the hat, I knew who Barbaro was..

Thank you. Needed to be said

adamprez2003
02-01-2007, 05:43 PM
great horse. One of the greatest ever. Such a shame