PDA

View Full Version : Singer Brandy could be charged with manslaughter

SA_BUTTA
01-29-2007, 05:44 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Police recommended on Monday that singer-actress Brandy be charged with a single misdemeanor charge of vehicular manslaughter for a fatal four-car crash triggered when her vehicle struck another car from behind.

The California Highway Patrol found that the 27-year-old performer, whose full name is Brandy Norwood, was at fault in the December 30 accident for failing to prevent her Land Rover from hitting the car in front of her when freeway traffic suddenly slowed, CHP spokesman Leland Tang said.

The driver whose car Brandy rear-ended, Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, a married mother of one, was killed when her vehicle slammed into a third car, careened into the freeway's center divider and was hit broad-side by a fourth automobile.

Tang said the Highway Patrol referred the case to the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office for further review with the recommendation that the former star of the TV comedy "Moesha" be cited with a misdemeanor charge of vehicular manslaughter.

A misdemeanor offense, which carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, is less serious than a felony charge and means that prosecutors determine that the death did not result from gross negligence, a spokesman for the city attorney said.

Prosecutors could decide to charge Brandy as recommended, suggest that the District Attorney's Office file a more serious charge or dismiss the matter altogether.

Investigators have ruled out alcohol and drugs as factors in the crash and there was no evidence that Brandy was using a cell phone or was otherwise distracted at the time of the crash. She was in her car alone, Tang said.

Brandy told police at the scene she was driving about 65 mph (104 kph) just before the crash, which Tang said was at or below the posted speed limit.

Brandy's publicist, who issued a statement last week on the singer's behalf expressing condolences to the victim's family, was not immediately available to comment on Monday's referral of the case to prosecutors.

Brandy burst on the recording scene with her self-tilted debut album in 1994, launching such hits as "I Wanna Be Down," "Baby" and "Brokenhearted." Her fourth album, "Afrodisiac," was released in 2004. Last year, she served on the panel of judges for NBC's summer television show "America's Got Talent."

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...rtainmentNews-2 (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2007-01-29T211859Z_01_N29207985_RTRUKOC_0_US-BRANDY-ACCIDENT.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-entertainmentNews-2)

Roman529
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Is Brandy still married to that NBA player? Sounds like an accident....she wasn't going drunk, or talking on a cell phone and was doing the legal limit....how can that be manslaughter? :confused:

FinsNCanes
01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Is Brandy still married to that NBA player? Sounds like an accident....she was going drunk, or talking on a cell phone and was doing the legal limit....how can that be manslaughter? :confused:

Vehicular manslaughter.

HysterikiLL
01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Hasn't she had like a very serious car crash before? Maybe I'm thinking of the same thing but sheesh. Manslaughter sounds a little harsh, but it seems there may be more to the story.

FinsNCanes
01-29-2007, 06:14 PM
If I killed your mom with my vehicle would you charge me with manslaughter? Seems only fair..

Colorado Dolfan
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Hasn't she had like a very serious car crash before? Maybe I'm thinking of the same thing but sheesh. Manslaughter sounds a little harsh, but it seems there may be more to the story.

It's misdemeanor manslaughter, rather than felony manslaughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter

That gives a general overview...

Sad situation indeed...

PrepDogg
01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Lock her up

jtown777
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
It's manslaughter because it's vehicle negligence that resulted in the death of another individual. Accident, of course, but nonetheless negligent. Good thing there was no alcohol involved. She be up the creek. Just the fact of having to know you've killed someone seems like punishment enough, but law is law.
I have a friend that hit 2 people in a crosswalk a couple months ago and the 1died at the scene and the other is still in the hospital. He too will be charged with involuntary vehicular manslaughter and will be sued no doubt. The guy doesn't have much, other than a job, but it sure messed him up mentally. The thing is he did have a green light, but he was driving in the right lane and the lane was clear at the intersection, however in the left 2 lanes cars were still stopped because the light had just turned green. He was actually rolling up and never really had to stop cause he was approaching as it turned green. He was blinded of the people in the walk because of the cars that were stopped. So he never even saw them. The girl was only 19 that was killed. I feel horrible for all who were involved. Clearly a horrible tragedy.

BTW, not that it matters, but Brandy was my neighbor when I lived in Norwalk, CA. She lived with her cousins for awhile. Not sure why. Norwalk is a small city outside L.A. Funny thing, we had quite a few singers/rappers within 2 blocks of my house. Tiffany, Steve Real, Poncho Sanchez, and fellas from NWA (Eazy-E, Yella, and Ren).

BAMAPHIN 22
01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Brandy sued for $50M in deadly car crash

Singer-actress Brandy was sued for $50 million Tuesday by the family of a woman killed in a four-car freeway crash which police have blamed on the 27-year-old performer.
The wrongful death lawsuit by the parents of Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court a day after police recommended that prosecutors charge Brandy with a misdemeanor count of vehicular manslaughter.

The California Highway Patrol found that the entertainer, whose full name is Brandy Norwood, was at fault in the December 30 accident for failing to prevent her Land Rover from hitting the car in front of her when traffic suddenly slowed, CHP spokesman Leland Tang said this week.

Aboudihaj was killed when her vehicle slammed into a third car, careened into the freeway's center divider and was hit broad-side by a fourth automobile, police said.

The lawsuit, filed as a three-page form complaint, says her death was caused by "reckless driving" by Brandy. It seeks $50 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/30/brandy.lawsuit.reut/index.html

dreday
01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Brandy sued for $50M in deadly car crash

Singer-actress Brandy was sued for $50 million Tuesday by the family of a woman killed in a four-car freeway crash which police have blamed on the 27-year-old performer.
The wrongful death lawsuit by the parents of Awatef Aboudihaj, 38, was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court a day after police recommended that prosecutors charge Brandy with a misdemeanor count of vehicular manslaughter.

The California Highway Patrol found that the entertainer, whose full name is Brandy Norwood, was at fault in the December 30 accident for failing to prevent her Land Rover from hitting the car in front of her when traffic suddenly slowed, CHP spokesman Leland Tang said this week.

Aboudihaj was killed when her vehicle slammed into a third car, careened into the freeway's center divider and was hit broad-side by a fourth automobile, police said.

The lawsuit, filed as a three-page form complaint, says her death was caused by "reckless driving" by Brandy. It seeks $50 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/30/brandy.lawsuit.reut/index.html

Crazy sad unfortunate situation.Thats why they always tell you,"keep your eyes on the road".I wonder if Brandy is even worth 50 million.

vmarcilfan75
01-31-2007, 01:24 PM
BTW, not that it matters, but Brandy was my neighbor when I lived in Norwalk, CA. She lived with her cousins for awhile. Not sure why. Norwalk is a small city outside L.A. Funny thing, we had quite a few singers/rappers within 2 blocks of my house. Tiffany, Steve Real, Poncho Sanchez, and fellas from NWA (Eazy-E, Yella, and Ren).

Wow thanks for the info that where i live :lol:

jtown777
01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow thanks for the info that where i live :lol:

You live in Norwalk? I graduated NHS 1989. I remember a party where singer "Tiffany" was drunk off her arse, rolling on the floor singing "I think we're alone now". Then threw up everywhere! It was funny as hell. NOw she's got some big guns!!! She was a trip!

vmarcilfan75
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
You live in Norwalk? I graduated NHS 1989. I remember a party where singer "Tiffany" was drunk off her arse, rolling on the floor singing "I think we're alone now". Then threw up everywhere! It was funny as hell. NOw she's got some big guns!!! She was a trip!

yeah but i grew up next door in Downey. I remember hearing about Tiffany back in the day. :lol:

BAMAPHIN 22
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Brandy Unfairly Targeted, Civil Rights Group Claims

TMZ reports that Black civil rights leaders in Los Angeles are laying claim that the California Highway Patrol (CHP) have made Brandy "a political trophy," and is unfairly targeting her.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/01/30/black-leaders-cry-foul-on-brandy-manslaughter-charges/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmz.com%2F2007%2F01%2F30%2Fbrandy-unfairly-targeted-civil-rights-group-claims%2F&frame=true

jtown777
01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
yeah but i grew up next door in Downey. I remember hearing about Tiffany back in the day. :lol:

Downey cops had a bad rep. We used to go around Downey. The only reason to be in that city was to go to court!:lol:

Mike13
01-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Brandy Unfairly Targeted, Civil Rights Group Claims

TMZ reports that Black civil rights leaders in Los Angeles are laying claim that the California Highway Patrol (CHP) have made Brandy "a political trophy," and is unfairly targeting her.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/01/30/black-leaders-cry-foul-on-brandy-manslaughter-charges/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmz.com%2F2007%2F01%2F30%2Fbrandy-unfairly-targeted-civil-rights-group-claims%2F&frame=true

Oh get the **** out of here.

Just the fact of having to know you've killed someone seems like punishment enough, but law is law.

Yeah I'm sure thats bothering the hell out of her.

FinsNCanes
01-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I think I'll use this if I ever get pulled over for another DUI.

Bull****..