PDA

View Full Version : 'Matrix Reloaded' Banned In Egypt

Muck
06-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Talk about taking something to seriously..... And bigoted!!

Associated Press
Jun. 11, 2003 12:15 PM

CARIO, Egypt - Egypt has banned "The Matrix Reloaded." The country's censorship board says it's too religious and too violent.

The 15-member committee is made up of film critics, professors, writers and psychologists. The group says the film's storyline, about the search for the creator and control of the human race, may cause "crises," and that screening the movie may cause "troubles and harm social peace."

The first Matrix film was shown in Egypt but was criticized by some Islamic newspapers as promoting Jewish beliefs.

iceblizzard69
06-11-2003, 03:49 PM
:lol:

I don't know why I think that is funny, but I do.

Prime Time
06-11-2003, 10:10 PM
:lol: How did it support Jewish beliefs :lol:

Muck
06-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Maybe it's because the city is named "Zion"?? Who knows. :rolleyes:

Cranx
06-12-2003, 02:47 AM
The reason they believe that is due to the fact that the whole story is centered around a "Christ figure" in Neo. As in Judaism, everyone is waiting for the messiah (Neo in this case) to come and face the devil (The Matrix) in order to bring liberation and peace.

Basically, the whole story is loosly based upon the Bible.

That having been said however, this is completely ridiculous and outright stupid. Maybe the governing film critics are just trying to save their nation from a really disappointing sequel! :lol:

Jaydog57
06-12-2003, 02:48 AM
There are several Bibilical references in the film. I can't remember any off hand, but I was at a friends house reading the week of May 12 issue of Time magazine, and they showed them. If anybody has the article they'll see what I mean. It's the Time cover with 'Matrix' on it.:cool:

Jaydog57
06-12-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Expo88
The reason they believe that is due to the fact that the whole story is centered around a "Christ figure" in Neo. As in Judaism, everyone is waiting for the messiah (Neo in this case) to come and face the devil (The Matrix) in order to bring liberation and peace.

That having been said however, this is completely ridiculous and outright stupid. Maybe the governing film critics are just trying to save their nation from a really disappointing sequel! :lol: Just missed your post while writing my own, that's what the article was stating. thanks Expo:cool:

Cranx
06-12-2003, 02:52 AM
N/P ;)

I would be interested in reading that article though, it sounds interesting. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Muck
06-12-2003, 12:03 PM
But wouldn't Islam be roughly the same thing?? Like Christ, you have the great prophet in Muhammad. Do they not believe that he is returning (I'm unsure of the ideology in this instance)?? Or is it because Muhammad has already come and gone and the Matrix takes place in the now/future??

Does the Koran not prophecize Muhammad's existence and instead recognizes him after the fact?? Again, I'm simply ignorant to what the correct ideology is.

And correct me if I'm wrong (again...wouldn't that be a shock), but Judaism doesn't believe in there being a hell. Is that right?? If there is no hell, do they still believe in the devil??

Somebody shed some light on this post. :)

Cranx
06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Muck
But wouldn't Islam be roughly the same thing?? Like Christ, you have the great prophet in Muhammad. Do they not believe that he is returning (I'm unsure of the ideology in this instance)?? Or is it because Muhammad has already come and gone and the Matrix takes place in the now/future??

Does the Koran not prophecize Muhammad's existence and instead recognizes him after the fact?? Again, I'm simply ignorant to what the correct ideology is.

And correct me if I'm wrong (again...wouldn't that be a shock), but Judaism doesn't believe in there being a hell. Is that right?? If there is no hell, do they still believe in the devil??

Somebody shed some light on this post. :)

It's actually quite different bro. Islam- based upon my understanding- does not believe in an Armeggedon (Sp?), end of the world battle between good and evil (Heaven and Hell) nor do they believe that there will be a second coming (or first in the case of Judaism) of any type of messiah. Actually, they do not believe that there is a messiah who will be sent to save everyone (Christians believe Jesus is the messiah, Jews believe the messiah is yet to come) as is portrayed in the form of Neo in the Matrix.

In Islam, the prophet Mohammed was just that, a prophet. Granted, in their eyes, he was the greatest prophet to ever live but, nonetheless, he was a prohet all the same and a prophets only purpose is to act as a messenger of coming events for a higher power. When all is said and done the Prophet Mohammed was just a messenger- even in the eyes of Muslims.

As far as the idea that there is no Hell in the Jewish religion that's not true. Judaism is the firm belief in the Bible without the New Testament. The Old Testament in the Bible clearly teaches that there is a Heaven and a Hell and that both are available to everyone. Where you may have gotten the notion that they don't believe that there is a Hell may be due to the fact that they (This is a Christian belief as well) don't believe that anyone is actually in Hell at this time. Essentially, there is a waiting area (there are different views on how this works) where those that will be cast into Hell are now. It is not until the final battle of Armeggedon and the casting down of Satan that he gates of Hell are actually opened and all the people in the "waiting area" (maybe that is Hell: an eternal waiting room! :lol: ) are cast in with Satan.

Those are the Reader's Digest version answers to your questions. I hope that helped out a bit.

~Po

Muck
06-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks. :)

Barbarian
06-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Expo88

Yeah, I love that part of the Bible where Jesus walks through the metal detector and kills all those guards with the flips and everything. ;)