PDA

View Full Version : Clobber College?

King Nate
01-30-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm writing a story on the fact that my college will be hosting a mixed martial arts competition (like UFC) at its arena in February. The angle will be if an institute of higher learning is really the appropriate place for a competition where contestants knock the crap out of each other.

Obviously I won't be using any information from this thread in my article but I thought it would be a cool topic of debate for us. Well, what do you guys think? Should a college have a UFC-like fight on its campus?

TokyoFishFan
01-30-2007, 06:12 AM
They already have football, rugby, field hockey, lacrosse, and ice hockey where folks knock the **** out of each other.

Of course, we're not actually allowed to have an actual war where we're fighting for a cause. That would spark protests on a college campus. Strangely hypocritical, isn't it?

What difference does it make? It's just another sport. It's "controlled" violence. :D :lol:

They could also use it for a class assignment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

UltraDol-Fan
01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
eh, I would say no... but with college what it is these days most kids don't go for an education anyway.

NJPHIN34
01-30-2007, 08:08 PM
It's mixed martial arts. It's a lot more than barbaric fighting like it use to be. There are rules now a days, unlike how it used to be. The guys that fight are some of the best athletes you will ever find. They are in top shape and skilled in jiu jitsu, boxing, wrestling, muay thai, judo, etc. It certainly is a sport albeit not a team one. But it is no different than wrestling or boxing which would for some reason be much more acceptable to people. People still are carrying around the thought of things like the UFC when it first came out. Back then it was completely out of shape guys just bashing each others face; really no skill at all. I'm a huge UFC fan, but honestly I find the older stuff like that hard to watch. But people still have those thoughts in their heads instead of what the sport has evolved into.

DonShula84
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
I dont see why not.

Sethdaddy8
01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Right now MMA is in a great place. It is far superior to boxing in terms of action, safety, excitment, and legitmacy. Its a wonferful but misunderstood sport, and because there is not much money in it for the athletes, there are not too many great ambassadors, some of which think boneheaded trash talk and just violence sell (ala Tim Sylvia). Consequently, its not really a corrupt sport like boxing or horse racing is, due to the lack of interest in money. But its a real, legit, terrific sport, and a college giving it support would be wonderful to legitimze it.

HysterikiLL
01-30-2007, 09:30 PM
The UFC at UCF?

King Nate
01-31-2007, 07:22 PM
The UFC at UCF?

LOL! OMG WTF!?! THE UFC AT UCF?!?111

That was my first line in my article. I sure hope my professor sees the humor in it...