PDA

View Full Version : Drugmaker to test fat-fighting marijuana drug

BAMAPHIN 22
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
GW Pharmaceuticals says it has a cannabis-derived treatment to suppress hunger; company plans to start human trials.

Britain's GW Pharmaceuticals Plc said Tuesday it plans to start human trials of an experimental treatment for obesity derived from cannabis.

Cannabis is commonly associated with stimulating hunger. Several other companies, including Sanofi-Aventis with Acomplia, are working on new drugs that try to switch off the brain circuits that make people hungry when they smoke it.

GW Pharma, however, says it has derived a treatment from cannabis itself that could help suppress hunger.

"The cannabis plant has 70 different cannabinoids in it, and each has a different affect on the body," GW Managing Director Justin Gover told Reuters.

"Some can stimulate your appetite, and some in the same plant can suppress your appetite. It is amazing both scientifically and commercially," he said in a telephone interview.

GW said it plans to start clinical trials of the new drug in the second half of this year. Medicines have to pass three stages of tests in humans before being assessed by regulators in a process that takes many years.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/30/news/international/bc.gw.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

cnc66
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
"The cannabis plant has 70 different cannabinoids in it, and each has a different affect on the body," GW Managing Director Justin Gover told Reuters

that's why sometimes when you blended all your "leftovers" the aggregate was better than any one alone...

kids, I was a professional, do not try this at home.

Motion
01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Interesting.........

FinsNCanes
01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
All the weed I've ever smoked made me want to eat. I don't see this working :cooldude:

retired opfinistic
01-30-2007, 01:30 PM
where do I sign up???

Rafiki
01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Didn't the FDA allready declare that there was no medical use for the plant? What a bunch of bueraucratic hypocrites. They'd tell you cow **** had medicinal properties if the pharmacutical company paid them enough.

Marijuana is harmless as long as people use it responsibly. It just can't be controlled or taxed, so the government says it will never be legal.

bullseyeguy
01-30-2007, 01:49 PM
When I was a big pothead, I was ultra skinny...I wouldnt say it suppressed my hunger though, I was just too lazy to get off the couch and make some food...

FinsNCanes
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Didn't the FDA allready declare that there was no medical use for the plant? What a bunch of bueraucratic hypocrites. They'd tell you cow **** had medicinal properties if the pharmacutical company paid them enough.

Marijuana is harmless as long as people use it responsibly. It just can't be controlled or taxed, so the government says it will never be legal.

Of course it can be controlled and taxed, they just choose not to.

Look at alchohol and over the counter drugs.

Mike13
01-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I thought Pot gave you the munchies, thus giving you an urge to eat?

cnc66
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Of course it can be controlled and taxed, they just choose not to.

Look at alchohol and over the counter drugs.

that is exactly how they controlled it in the beggining... 1000 bucks an ounce tax

wazzy
01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
If they tried to tax people they would still grow it themselves! However people who are not drug educated might have to pay those tax dollars but I am not letting the government touch my money in that case!

Dolfan984
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
I've gained 35 pounds of muscle since I've started smoking weed. I was about 6'4" 150 back when I was 17. Now I'm the same height but closer to 190....I do go to the gym 6 days a week, but it's also helped me eat a lot more to gain that weight. I've never gotten less hungry, and I've always thought that one of your bodies defenses vs pot was to eat because when you eat, you lose a bit of your high.

retired opfinistic
01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I've gained 35 pounds of muscle since I've started smoking weed. I was about 6'4" 150 back when I was 17. Now I'm the same height but closer to 190....I do go to the gym 6 days a week, but it's also helped me eat a lot more to gain that weight. I've never gotten less hungry, and I've always thought that one of your bodies defenses vs pot was to eat because when you eat, you lose a bit of your high.
You can fool your defenses by eating pot brownies!

Ingredients: http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
1/2 cup pot-butter
3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large or 3 small eggs
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup walnuts

Directions:http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the chocolate. Mix until melted and set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl add the sugar and eggs. Beat until thoroughly mixed (electric mixer ok).
4) Add the chocolate mixture in with the eggs and mix well.
5) Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt while mixing.
6) Add the vanilla extract and mix.
7) Add walnuts.
8) Spread evenly into a well-greased 12 x 7 x 1-inch baking pan.
9) Bake at 350-degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
10) Cool and cut into 2-inch squares.
11) "The more you eat the better you feel. Let's have brownies at every meal."

Makes 20 (2-inch) squares