PDA

View Full Version : Sony switching to 65nm processor

Phin-o-rama
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
so soon?

Sony Computer Entertainment has started production on the previously announced 65nm CELL processor. All PlayStation 3 units so far have a 90nm processor inside, but this will change soon. As it seems Sony has started the massproduction of the 65nm processor, and this will have a few advantages.

First of all, this will mean a price cut for Sony on every PlayStation 3 sold. This is because the 65nm CELL processor is cheaper than the 90nm processor.

And second, this means a heatreduction for the PlayStation 3.

Also this 'new' processor is not only for the PlayStation 3, it's will also be used for more Sony or Toshiba products.

Whether this new 65nm processor will be in all PlayStation 3 units at the European launch is unknown. We expect Sony to announce this in the coming months. Don't expect a price drop though, because Sony will still lose a lot of money with this 'new' processor.

http://www.psu.com/node/7409

Motion
01-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Cool :chuckle:

Dol-Fan Dupree
01-31-2007, 01:44 PM
so soon?

Dolfan5000
01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Cool? Heat isn't all too much of a problem anyway.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/J/JAPAN_SONY?SITE=FLSTU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Caps
02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Good thing I waited to buy mine. Looks like I'll be purchasing one right around the GTA4 launch.

Desides
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Not really a big deal. The cost savings won't carry over to the consumer, and the PS3 already runs cool and quiet. While it's nice to have the better technology, the console that really needs 65nm technology is the 360.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
quiet has nothing to do with the processor, its the dvd drive thats loud in the 360...also i haven't had an overheat problem yet...

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
When is this "new" 360 supposed to come out? I might just wait to buy mine. Although I'm gonna be extremely bored for a while.

Mike13
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
When is this "new" 360 supposed to come out? I might just wait to buy mine

I don't know.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
M$ can neither confirm nor deny the rumors!

just a side effect of being an early adopter.....if they release the new 360 part of me is a little upset because they probably won't offer a trade in program.....ps3 coming out with a smaller processor, 360 (if they do) with hdmi, and a larger hdd....ps2 was redisgned a few times....xbox1 redesigned....nintendo ds to ds lite....nintendo wii will come out with dvd functionality and different colors...

just the nature of the beast....

Sethdaddy8
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think this will make any difference as far as performance.

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think this will make any difference as far as performance.

You're probably right..

What are the HDMI ports/cables **** for though? If none of the **** coming out affects gaming then I won't worry about it.

I've been out of the gaming loop so long it's rather sad.

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
M$ can neither confirm nor deny the rumors!

just a side effect of being an early adopter.....if they release the new 360 part of me is a little upset because they probably won't offer a trade in program.....ps3 coming out with a smaller processor, 360 (if they do) with hdmi, and a larger hdd....ps2 was redisgned a few times....xbox1 redesigned....nintendo ds to ds lite....nintendo wii will come out with dvd functionality and different colors...

just the nature of the beast....

It was? Obviously the Slim version, what else did they redesign?

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
none of it will affect gaming performance whatsoever.....hdmi is a buzz word just like 1080p....720p is absolutely fine and awesome the difference is minimal if at all noticeable....lets not forget how many people dont even own hdtv's and how many of those that do have 1080p sets...

my directv hdtv box i used to run hdmi and now i switched to component and actually like it better....to my eyes it displays hdtv content with better color

Sethdaddy8
02-01-2007, 02:30 PM
You're probably right..

What are the HDMI ports/cables **** for though? If none of the **** coming out affects gaming then I won't worry about it.

I've been out of the gaming loop so long it's rather sad.

The only reason I like HDMI is because it is just one simple cable, and it provides and extra slot for HD compatible equipment. My DirecTv, PS3 and Xbox360 occupy them all...no room for anymore HD stuff.

*** hard to notice a significant difference between that and RGB cables IMO.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 02:35 PM
don't forget dvi....there is always hdmi to dvi converters and vice versa

Desides
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
quiet has nothing to do with the processor, its the dvd drive thats loud in the 360...also i haven't had an overheat problem yet...

Quietness has everything to do with the processor, which is arguably the busiest part of any computer system, especially in a game console. The 360 uses a Power PC-based CPU, and the PPC line is NOT known for its excellent thermal design. Hotter CPU = louder fans = louder console. Cooler CPU = quieter fans = quieter console.

When is this "new" 360 supposed to come out? I might just wait to buy mine. Although I'm gonna be extremely bored for a while.

65nm 360s were announced to hit manufacturing in Q1 of 2007 (as in, right now), but word is (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr/) that Microsoft is readying a brand-new version with the 65nm CPU, an HDMI port, and a 120GB hard drive all for release at Christmas of this year.

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Quietness has everything to do with the processor, which is arguably the busiest part of any computer system, especially in a game console. The 360 uses a Power PC-based CPU, and the PPC line is NOT known for its excellent thermal design. Hotter CPU = louder fans = louder console. Cooler CPU = quieter fans = quieter console.

65nm 360s were announced to hit manufacturing in Q1 of 2007 (as in, right now), but word is (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr/) that Microsoft is readying a brand-new version with the 65nm CPU, an HDMI port, and a 120GB hard drive all for release at Christmas of this year.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
personally i hear the dvd drive running more than anywhere else....

ChrisKo
02-01-2007, 04:08 PM
It was? Obviously the Slim version, what else did they redesign?

They had about 6 different motherboard designs and about 3 different DVD-Rom drives used throughout the life of the normal sized PS2.

Motion
02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
They had about 6 different motherboard designs and about 3 different DVD-Rom drives used throughout the life of the normal sized PS2.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. My launch day model is still going strong. :D

ChrisKo
02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. My launch day model is still going strong. :D

Actually, a quick check revealed even more revisions than I was aware of. 14 in total.

http://www.mod-chip.com/ps2version.htm

Motion
02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Actually, a quick check revealed even more revisions than I was aware of. 14 in total.

http://www.mod-chip.com/ps2version.htm

:eek: Damn

Desides
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Model revisions aren't really anything unique to the PS2. Every console manufacturer does it. They have to, if they intend to reduce the cost of manufacturing the thing as time moves on. And let's not forget that the PS2's been around for almost 7 years at this point...

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
not only manufacturing costs but ps2 was hit with faulty optical drives....they make the console better with the revisions....

ps3 uses more electricity than the other 2 next gen consoles...the new processor will also help with that probably....

Sethdaddy8
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Man, remember when video games were fun ?:mad:

ChrisKo
02-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Yep, I think the DC is the last console were I really felt like it was FUN!!! The Xbox, 360 and PS2 are nice (can't comment on PS3 as I sold my launch system), but there was just something about the DC and the systems before it that just seemed so much more fun.

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Honestly..I would probably buy a ps3 instead of 360 if it werent' for the fact that it seems XBL is superior (I'm talking stability) then what ps3 online offers. Although I didn't seem to have many problems with ps2 with Socom. I'm more worried about the games on ps3 online they won't bother patching, etc because it's the "You get what you pay for" mentality, therefore XBL would seem to "have" to patch things, etc because people are paying. I could be completely wrong though.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
if you want the best online play with a console get the 360....it simply craps all over ps3

Sethdaddy8
02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
if you want the best online play with a console get the 360....it simply craps all over ps3

turns me off that you gotta pay tho... PS3 and Wii are free. wii suprisingly has a cool online system.

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
turns me off that you gotta pay tho... PS3 and Wii are free. wii suprisingly has a cool online system.

they aren't comparable though....up to you but yeah....especially wii thats junk compared to xbl dude

Sethdaddy8
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
they aren't comparable though....up to you but yeah....especially wii thats junk compared to xbl dude

i guess depending on what your there for. i like Wii's downloadable content, you can get the classics on there and play on wii, nintendo classics, some genesis and turbo grafix 16 titles too. but their inter-player stuff isnt there yet. of course M$ has had a nice head start. stuff like Demos and trailers and movies is really cool too with xbl.

Desides
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM

They still are. I've been gaming since I played SMB on my friend's NES at age 3 (I jumped to hit the first question box, and collided with the Goomba, who then killed poor Mario), and I still love games now as much as I did then. If you're not having fun, you're playing the wrong games, IMO.

ChrisKo
02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
They still are. I've gaming since I played SMB on my friend's NES at age 3 (I jumped to hit the first question box, and collided with the Goomba, who then killed poor Mario), and I still love games now as much as I did then. If you're not having fun, you're playing the wrong games, IMO.

Bwahahahaha, that makes me feel so old now. I just realized that I was programming games before some of the NES generation was even born. Damn :boohoo:

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-01-2007, 09:24 PM

I can remember today pretty good. If I couldn't I would have to be very worried

Fresh
02-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I accidentally left mine on by mistake one morning and didn't come home until late night.

Even with that said, I've never had problems with my system..........

It's not like that terribly sounding Xbox 360 that can wake the whole damn house up.

Sethdaddy8
02-02-2007, 02:27 AM
They still are. I've been gaming since I played SMB on my friend's NES at age 3 (I jumped to hit the first question box, and collided with the Goomba, who then killed poor Mario), and I still love games now as much as I did then. If you're not having fun, you're playing the wrong games, IMO.

Nah, I love the games, but these systems get so complicated, and it seems like the consumers can get burned so easily.

Desides
02-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Nah, I love the games, but these systems get so complicated, and it seems like the consumers can get burned so easily.

Nah, not really. The people who get burned are early adopters, and that's nothing new. It's just more commonly reported in the era of blogging.

The best approach is to wait at least six months on a product, then make the decision as to whether you want to buy, wait more, or pass. It's always been like this with electronics, and it won't change anytime soon.