PDA

View Full Version : Orlando vacation

bullseyeguy
01-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Im taking the kids to Orlando in a few weeks, for a vacation. We're gonna do the regular Disney thing, and probably Sea World...I was just wondering if there is anything cool I should go do or see while Im there, that might not be on a hotel brochure...

NJFINSFAN1
01-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Just make sure you go to epcot and have a beer in every country. And do that on your second day at Disney, because you need it by then!

PS

Third day should be mellow, you will have a hang over!

HysterikiLL
01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Just make sure you go to epcot and have a beer in every country. And do that on your second day at Disney, because you need it by then!

PS

Third day should be mellow, you will have a hang over!

:lol: NJ, you're such a soccer mom!:tongue:

Roman529
01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
On International Drive they have one of the biggest McDonalds I have ever been too....and all kinds of games to play. I went there a lot with my ex and her kids when I lived there.

King Nate
01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
There's this guy named King Nate who kinda runs that city so you should probably swing by and drink with him. He's kind of a big deal.

FinsNCanes
01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Go to Ripleys and depending on the kids age go to (can't think of it right now) but it's like a 3 story arcade in City Walk.

King Nate
01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Go to Ripleys and depending on the kids age go to (can't think of it right now) but it's like a 3 story arcade in City Walk.

You're thinking of Wonderworks. There's also DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney too that's kinda similar.

FinsNCanes
01-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah..DisneyQuest.

That place rocks.

MelbournePhin
01-31-2007, 08:18 PM
dont plan on going to any strip clubs. they suck around here :)

King Nate
01-31-2007, 09:54 PM

There's Rachels. As my good friend Troy once said, "You can eat some steak and see some *******."

spydertl79
01-31-2007, 10:19 PM
If you golf then check out Champions Gate, Bay Hill, Celebration, and Mystic Dunes.

King Nate
01-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Another cool thing to check out would be the Pirates dinner show on I-Drive.

Roman529
02-01-2007, 12:48 AM

I miss the South Orange Blossom Trail. :boohoo:

TokyoFishFan
02-01-2007, 06:08 AM
If you're there during spring training you can catch of lot of the major leaguers in the smaller, friendlier Class A stadiums. There was a team in Kissimee I believe.

There's a new stadium in Brevard county as well I think. Not sure how much there is to see at the Kennedy Space Center--been a long time since I've been in town.

There's also the beaches of course and

Rosie O'Grady's Goodtime Emporium: Church Street Station, downtown Orlando; open nightly with Dixieland revue featuring the Goodtime Jazz Band, Ruth Crews and Bill White; (407) 422-2434.
From: http://www.2000orlando-florida.com/entertainment.htm

I forget which football team he used to play for. Not sure if it's any good or not, but I heard they were at one time.

Green Ranger
02-01-2007, 04:58 PM
alot of good mini golf on 92....great gift shops...and of course old town, i think every friday and saturday they have a awesome car show, downtown disney is awesome as well the lego store is great, the kids love it...have a blast man!!

GreenMachine
02-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Both of those closed years ago...

The arcade is now Bubba Gumps.

GreenMachine
02-01-2007, 06:44 PM
If you're there during spring training you can catch of lot of the major leaguers in the smaller, friendlier Class A stadiums. There was a team in Kissimee I believe.

There's a new stadium in Brevard county as well I think. Not sure how much there is to see at the Kennedy Space Center--been a long time since I've been in town.

There's also the beaches of course and

Rosie O'Grady's Goodtime Emporium: Church Street Station, downtown Orlando; open nightly with Dixieland revue featuring the Goodtime Jazz Band, Ruth Crews and Bill White; (407) 422-2434.
From: http://www.2000orlando-florida.com/entertainment.htm

I forget which football team he used to play for. Not sure if it's any good or not, but I heard they were at one time.

Rosie OGradys closed 5 years ago. Downtown Orlando is not a place to bring children.

As for Spring training, it does not start until late Feb.

Disney has the Braves, Kissimmee has the Astros, Lakeland has the Tigers, Winter haven has the indians, and Melbourne has the nationals.

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Both of those closed years ago...

The arcade is now Bubba Gumps.

Huh..

Interesting..

MelbournePhin
02-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I miss the South Orange Blossom Trail. :boohoo:

hookers and strip clubs galore :)

Jaydog57
02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
hookers and strip clubs galore :)
Yeah, unfortunately they changed the 'format', Club Juana is now gone:boohoo:, as I'm sure Rachel's will soon be too.:( But hey man, check out Downtown Disney, or City Walk, cool stuff for the whole family on there for ya :peace:

Coral Reefer
02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Im taking the kids to Orlando in a few weeks, for a vacation. We're gonna do the regular Disney thing, and probably Sea World...I was just wondering if there is anything cool I should go do or see while Im there, that might not be on a hotel brochure...

Once you see Disney and Sea World there isn't much left of Orlando.

My advice, get out of Orlando for the rest of your trip.
Head over to Cocoa beach. Visit the Space Center and spend a couple of nights on the beach. The beaches are what Florida is all about in the first place.

bullseyeguy
02-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone been to Gatorland? Also, is there a nice place to maybe see the outdoors, renting a small boat or just walking trail?

Jaydog57
02-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone been to Gatorland? Also, is there a nice place to maybe see the outdoors, renting a small boat or just walking trail? Gatorland's kinda cheesy, not worth admission. As far as outdoors, you might try Wekiwa Springs State Park, lots of stuff there.

Wekiwa Springs State Park
1800 Wekiwa Circle
Apopka, FL 32712
407-884-2008

or the Disney Wildlife Preserve

The Nature Conservancy's Disney Wilderness Preserve
2700 Scrub Jay Trail
Kissimmee, FL 34759
407-935-0002

Have a great time in O'town man, :peace:

King Nate
02-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Gatorland's kinda cheesy, not worth admission. As far as outdoors, you might try Wekiwa Springs State Park, lots of stuff there.

Wekiwa Springs State Park
1800 Wekiwa Circle
Apopka, FL 32712
407-884-2008

or the Disney Wildlife Preserve

The Nature Conservancy's Disney Wilderness Preserve
2700 Scrub Jay Trail
Kissimmee, FL 34759
407-935-0002

Have a great time in O'town man, :peace:

You COULD go to Wekiwa Springs but they have to close down sometimes because of too much bacteria, aka people crapping in the water.

That alone kinda turns me away from it. Plus, it's kinda cold here.

Besides the theme parks, the only family friendly stuff I can think of is the space coast, all the shopping centers, and some stuff previously mentioned.

Jaydog57
02-02-2007, 01:39 AM
You COULD go to Wekiwa Springs but they have to close down sometimes because of too much bacteria, aka people crapping in the water.

Besides the theme parks, the only family friendly stuff I can think of is the space coast, all the shopping centers, and some stuff previously mentioned. Ok, then disregard that, I don't know **** living here 35 years. Space Coast is cool too, good stuff, learn about space and stuff. :peace:

bullseyeguy
02-02-2007, 02:44 AM

Besides the theme parks, the only family friendly stuff I can think of is the space coast, all the shopping centers, and some stuff previously mentioned.:sidelol: Its -9 here as we speak, and that doesnt include wind chill....

dolfanattic5
02-02-2007, 03:20 AM
There is an awesome place called skyventures. It's like a big cylinder type building that you float because of an high powered fan and it feels like your skydiving. All four of my brothers and I loved it we thought it was awesome

TokyoFishFan
02-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Anyone been to Gatorland? Also, is there a nice place to maybe see the outdoors, renting a small boat or just walking trail?

http://www.local6.com/news/10248992/detail.html

I hadn't realized about Rosie O'Grady's being closed (been a way a really long time), but I do know that Gatorland burned down in November (see link above).

I'm not sure if they're starting fixing it back up or not, but figure since it was so recent, they probably haven't gotten back up yet. Anyone local know for sure?

TokyoFishFan
02-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Rosie OGradys closed 5 years ago. Downtown Orlando is not a place to bring children.

As for Spring training, it does not start until late Feb.

Disney has the Braves, Kissimmee has the Astros, Lakeland has the Tigers, Winter haven has the indians, and Melbourne has the nationals.

He didn't say exactly when he was coming, so I figured Spinr training might be a good idea. Hadn't realize about the other--been away for a long time.

When I was a kid there was Parrot Jungle, Mokey Jungle, the Miami Serpentarium, Bush Gardens, Weeki Wachi, Cypress Gardens, and a bunch of other places, but I know some have closed, some are too far south, and so on.

Most of the other places are well advertised in the hotels (Fort Liberty, the Medieval dinner place, etc, etc...).

CharlestonPhan
02-02-2007, 10:39 AM
just got back from WDW a few weeks ago; i dont know how old your kids are, but here are a few must sees while there;

Epcot: ride "Soaring,'' it is a hang glider ride in an IMAX theatre that is very cool, and kid friendly.

also check out "Crush," the turtle where the "Finding Nemo" ride is. very funny, even for us grown ups. its interactive and the kids get to ask the animated Crush questions, which he answers.

Mission Space is a must do, and they now have the regular ride and a "tame" version without the G Forces.

EPCOT's fireworks and light show (Illuminations) is pretty cool to at 9pm.

Animal Kingdom: check out the new roller coaster, Expedition Everest, it may be my favortite ride at WDW currently. great storyline incorporated into it and just a fun ride.

also, see the Lion King show. i am not much into seeing shows, but they do a great job with thois one.

do the Kilimanjaro Safari, but unless it is really warm, avoid the Kali River Rapids, you will get soaked and be miserable if it is cool.

in Dinosaur Land, they do a trampoline show near the dinoasaur kiddie coaster, if you are around when they are doing it, check it out. it is pretty good up close.

MGM gotta do the Rockin' Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror... found the 50's diner at MGM was a pretty good place to grab some chow, and they have a bar in there too. you can make reservations there.

also, if you get the park hopper passes, there is a boat that runs from Great Britain in EPCOT to MGM, instead of taking other transport options which take more time.

at MAGIC KINGDOM just see as much as you can,there is just so much to try to do.

the Pirates of the Carribean ride has been updated to include Captain Jack Sparrow, which is cool.

and you have to go see Mickey's PhilharMagic. it is 3-D IMAX movie that is just incredible, and it gives you a chance to sit down and rest your feet in a cushy theatre seat for a few minutes.

the parade and fireworks around 8-9pm are incredible. Mainstreet USA is a great place to see them, near Cinderella's Castle.

we just got back after new years, and i am already getting the urge to return! i talked to someone yesterday who just went, and said the crowds are really small right now, and wait times for rides were no longer than 20 minutes. incredible.

GreenMachine
02-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Besides the theme parks, there is alot to do. Try renting an airboat and see the "real" Florida. There is a great Zoo in Tampa called Lowery Park Zoo. Into sports? Go catch a Magic game. Want touristy stuff? Go to Old Town.

There are also many Horseback riding places.

There are hundreds of mini golf courses.

Green Ranger
02-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Besides the theme parks, there is alot to do. Try renting an airboat and see the "real" Florida. There is a great Zoo in Tampa called Lowery Park Zoo. Into sports? Go catch a Magic game. Want touristy stuff? Go to Old Town.

There are also many Horseback riding places.

There are hundreds of mini golf courses.

you an orlando tour guide?? :wink:

GreenMachine
02-02-2007, 01:11 PM
you an orlando tour guide?? :wink:

I work for the Mouse...:wink:

Noodle Arm
02-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I work for the Mouse...:wink:

Wow...scary...just last year I was living in Clermont. (I'm back in Miami now though) Never thought I'd see somebody else on these boards from that area...especially a Jets fan booooooo! :tongue: