PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Alex44
01-31-2007, 07:54 PM
The off season is rapidly drawing to a close and were almost to spring training, almost time for some baseball :yes:

Couple little stories:

Young Marlins Well Armed For 07 (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070130&content_id=1789535&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

Sanchez, Johnson Easing Into Spring Training (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070128&content_id=1788638&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

The rotation should look something along these lines if everyone stays healthy:

1) Willis
2) Sanchez/Johnson
3) Olsen
4) Johnson/Sanchez
5) Nolasco

I like the idea of switching back and forth between lefty and righty pitchers to keep clubs honest, give them a different look every night. Sanchez is my personal front runner to be the number two guy, but I could also see it going to Johnson. Either way I'd say talent wise our top 4 is as good or better than any in the league, and Nolasco isn't a slouch. If Willis regains his form we could easily have four guys with 16 wins, and Nolasco with around 12. Olsen and Sanchez are by far my two favorite guys, they both have potential so high it just shoots through the roof. Both guys could grow into 20 game winners and All Stars at some point in their career and hopefully they are Marlins when we see that happen. Both guys have nasty stuff and can be unhittable at times (Sanchez showed that last year by actually throwing a no-no). Willis is a somewhat unknown, personally I think he pitched far better than his record last season. He got very little run support and could have won 4 or 5 more games than he did. That said he was wild at times and had his share of struggles. Josh Johnson doesn't have the best stuff but he really knows what to use and when to use it, I don't see the potential that Olsen and Sanchez have in him but even as it is I see him as a 15 to 16 game winner every year. I'm not a Nolasco fan as some of you know....I think he has great stuff for a span of a few innings but then he gets to easy to figure out. I'd love to have another starter step up and give Ricky the closer role.

As for the lineup

1) Hanley: SS
2) Uggla: 2B
3) Cabrera: 3B
4) Jacobs: 1B
5) Willingham: LF
6) Hermida: RF
7) Olivo:C
8) Alex Sanchez: CF (as of now I have him as our CF)
9) Pitcher

Hanley is going to be a stud, he really improved as the season went along his average and power numbers just kept climbing as he gained experience and confidence.

Uggla had an amazing year last season, and lots of people don't know if he can keep it up but I think he can. Even in the minors he could always hit pretty well, fielding is what kept him from being a Major League player and he has made huge strides in that area. Not to mention he has great protection behind him in Miggy.

Cabrera is going to do what he always has, if Jacobs can step up his game some and provide protection for Miggy then I expect Cabrera may have a career year.

Jacobs was really up and down, and I really hope he steps it up. We all know he had some injury problems last year (mainly the ankle) but he is going to be a key piece

Willingham is what he is. A very solid hitter who will struggle from time to time, but he plays hard and if he can be consistent he will be a huge piece for us.

Hermida struggled last year, was injured often and never found his form, but trust me he has great potential if he can stay healthy. I expect him to have a solid year and then take off with a great year in 08.

Olivo really improved his defense but he really needs to get more consistent at the plate. I doubt he will get as many first pitch fastballs this year and he needs to adjust.

Sanchez is a speedy guy, the kind of guy I love as my number 8 hitter. He can get a single, steal a base and have the pitcher bunt him over to third. He has the speed to make things happen.

Overall I think we have the pieces to make a push at the playoffs, and if everything comes together perfect then maybe even the division. We need to not make so many critical mistakes on defense to just give other teams runs. We aren't going to sit there and out slug teams every game so we need to be efficient. Hopefully last years run gave these guys the confidence to keep on rolling.

Here's to an injury free playoff year!

Mainge
01-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Still can't believe we couldn't do better than Alex Sanchez in CF. And I'm still holding out for K-Mart to recover and be our closer-of-the-future. I think Tank is too good to waste in the closer role.

Still think D-Train will be D-Train and have another solid year. 16+ wins and sub 3.3 ERA.

Definetly excited about Olsen and Sanchez. Nasty stuff. Johnson still is a question mark in my eyes, but you can't argue with production.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding Nolasco, as I think he screams middle relief. But, IMO, he probably gets to hold down the 5 spot for a few years until some of our studs in Jupiter are ready. But, we can do much worse than Nolasco as a 5.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Nice write up. I'll be rooting for the Marlins again this year. Hopefully my 'boys' Hanley and Anibal continue their success in their sophomore year.

Good luck!

ChambersWI
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
The Marlins worked out Shannon Stewart to see if he's healthy so he might be the starting CF.

DeathStar
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
ive already said it and ill say it again: WE WILL WIN THE DIVISION.

EDIT: we will win the wild card. we get the wild card and MLB might as well just hand us the trophy!:D

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 10:03 PM
The Marlins worked out Shannon Stewart to see if he's healthy so he might be the starting CF.

That would probably be a mistake. Stewart doesn't have the wheels anymore nor has he played CF in years. Plus he's always injuried. Maybe if they signed him to play LF or RF and move Hermida to CF it could work.

One name to look at who could be available is David Murphy from the Red Sox. A young lefty hitter that reportly gained 15 pounds of muscle in the off season.

Fresh
01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't follow baseball during the offseason at all, but I follow the Marlins and a few other teams during the actual season. Really, I don't get into baseball until the playoffs......season is too long and boooooring.

How are the Marlins looking for next year though?

Section126
01-31-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't follow baseball during the offseason at all, but I follow the Marlins and a few other teams during the actual season. Really, I don't get into baseball until the playoffs......season is too long and boooooring.

How are the Marlins looking for next year though?

They look like the 03-04 Heat.....young and full of potential.

They can easily make the playoffs...

Their pitching is key..if it stays healthy..they will carry them to 85 wins..
I think it will take 91 wins to make the playoffs...

It can Happen.

Mainge
01-31-2007, 11:50 PM
They look like the 03-04 Heat.....young and full of potential.

They can easily make the playoffs...

Their pitching is key..if it stays healthy..they will carry them to 85 wins..
I think it will take 91 wins to make the playoffs...

It can Happen.

91 wins will be difficult with our bullpen.

MikeO
02-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Nice write up. I'll be rooting for the Marlins again this year. Hopefully my 'boys' Hanley and Anibal continue their success in their sophomore year.

Good luck!

Why...Do you want to see Theo fired??!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Ray Finkle
02-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Why...Do you want to see Theo fired??!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Why would Theo get fired? He wasn't the GM at the time of the deal. :shakeno:

Alex44
02-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Why would Theo get fired? He wasn't the GM at the time of the deal. :shakeno:

:lol:

If thats true then.....OWNED!

Vertical Limit
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM

I was about to say the same thing. :lol:

Ray Finkle
02-01-2007, 03:30 PM

It is true. Theo quit the GM position with the Sox on 10/31/05. The Beckett deal was made in late Nov/early Dec 2005. Theo returned in Jan 2006.

Alex44
02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
It is true. Theo quit the GM position with the Sox on 10/31/05. The Beckett deal was made in late Nov/early Dec 2005. Theo returned in Jan 2006.

Be prepared, MikeO is going to say something along the lines of: 'Oh and you think Theo wasnt pulling the strings in those few months? That he would come back knowing deals he didnt want were made? He just took a vacation and came back, his fingerprints are all over it :shakeno:'

Prime Time
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I'll be rooting for My Marlins also. Cabrera should have another big All-Star year as should Dontrelle. I wish we could've signed one name or two this offseason...like Gagne...

Ray Finkle
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Be prepared, MikeO is going to say something along the lines of: 'Oh and you think Theo wasnt pulling the strings in those few months? That he would come back knowing deals he didnt want were made? He just took a vacation and came back, his fingerprints are all over it :shakeno:'

Add about 12 more :shakeno: and maybe two or three :sidelol: and you'd be dead on.

Prime Time
02-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Dontrelle is on Rome is Burning right now.

Alex44
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM

I just saw that, it was great talking about his windup

Jim Rome: Is it more about style or is that what you need to do to get it done?

Dontrelle: Im a messed up guy (laughing)

Jim Rome: Has anyone ever tried to change it?

Dontrelle (laughing again) No, its so unorthodox they dont know where to start

phinphan896
02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
The off season is rapidly drawing to a close and were almost to spring training, almost time for some baseball :yes:

Couple little stories:

Young Marlins Well Armed For 07 (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070130&content_id=1789535&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

Sanchez, Johnson Easing Into Spring Training (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070128&content_id=1788638&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

The rotation should look something along these lines if everyone stays healthy:

1) Willis
2) Sanchez/Johnson
3) Olsen
4) Johnson/Sanchez
5) Nolasco

I like the idea of switching back and forth between lefty and righty pitchers to keep clubs honest, give them a different look every night. Sanchez is my personal front runner to be the number two guy, but I could also see it going to Johnson. Either way I'd say talent wise our top 4 is as good or better than any in the league, and Nolasco isn't a slouch. If Willis regains his form we could easily have four guys with 16 wins, and Nolasco with around 12. Olsen and Sanchez are by far my two favorite guys, they both have potential so high it just shoots through the roof. Both guys could grow into 20 game winners and All Stars at some point in their career and hopefully they are Marlins when we see that happen. Both guys have nasty stuff and can be unhittable at times (Sanchez showed that last year by actually throwing a no-no). Willis is a somewhat unknown, personally I think he pitched far better than his record last season. He got very little run support and could have won 4 or 5 more games than he did. That said he was wild at times and had his share of struggles. Josh Johnson doesn't have the best stuff but he really knows what to use and when to use it, I don't see the potential that Olsen and Sanchez have in him but even as it is I see him as a 15 to 16 game winner every year. I'm not a Nolasco fan as some of you know....I think he has great stuff for a span of a few innings but then he gets to easy to figure out. I'd love to have another starter step up and give Ricky the closer role.

As for the lineup

1) Hanley: SS
2) Uggla: 2B
3) Cabrera: 3B
4) Jacobs: 1B
5) Willingham: LF
6) Hermida: RF
7) Olivo:C
8) Alex Sanchez: CF (as of now I have him as our CF)
9) Pitcher

Hanley is going to be a stud, he really improved as the season went along his average and power numbers just kept climbing as he gained experience and confidence.

Uggla had an amazing year last season, and lots of people don't know if he can keep it up but I think he can. Even in the minors he could always hit pretty well, fielding is what kept him from being a Major League player and he has made huge strides in that area. Not to mention he has great protection behind him in Miggy.

Cabrera is going to do what he always has, if Jacobs can step up his game some and provide protection for Miggy then I expect Cabrera may have a career year.

Jacobs was really up and down, and I really hope he steps it up. We all know he had some injury problems last year (mainly the ankle) but he is going to be a key piece

Willingham is what he is. A very solid hitter who will struggle from time to time, but he plays hard and if he can be consistent he will be a huge piece for us.

Hermida struggled last year, was injured often and never found his form, but trust me he has great potential if he can stay healthy. I expect him to have a solid year and then take off with a great year in 08.

Olivo really improved his defense but he really needs to get more consistent at the plate. I doubt he will get as many first pitch fastballs this year and he needs to adjust.

Sanchez is a speedy guy, the kind of guy I love as my number 8 hitter. He can get a single, steal a base and have the pitcher bunt him over to third. He has the speed to make things happen.

Overall I think we have the pieces to make a push at the playoffs, and if everything comes together perfect then maybe even the division. We need to not make so many critical mistakes on defense to just give other teams runs. We aren't going to sit there and out slug teams every game so we need to be efficient. Hopefully last years run gave these guys the confidence to keep on rolling.

Here's to an injury free playoff year!
im expecting big things from our fish this year even if our payroll is really small:cooldude:

Mainge
02-01-2007, 07:06 PM

I just saw that, it was great talking about his windup

Jim Rome: Is it more about style or is that what you need to do to get it done?

Dontrelle: Im a messed up guy (laughing)

Jim Rome: Has anyone ever tried to change it?

Dontrelle (laughing again) No, its so unorthodox they dont know where to start

Lol, that's funny. :lol:

I'm hoping D-Train stays a Marlin for life. He's the heart and Soul of this team, IMO.

RWhitney014
02-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Ben Cherington and Jed Hoyer...

Anyway, you all know how I feel about the Fish. I'll save my official, journalistic comments for whenever I get around to writing a season preview.

Get Up And Go
02-02-2007, 12:55 AM
16 more days till Spring Training.
:rawk:

Alex44
02-03-2007, 05:23 AM
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070202&content_id=1792364&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

Rick Vanden Hurk had a stellar season for the Waikiki BeachBoys in Hawaii Winter Baseball.

The 21-year-old right-hander went 2-2 with a 3.60 ERA and a league-leading 63 strikeouts. He held opponents to a .162 batting average, twice won Player of the Week honors and was named to the HWB All-Star team.
Vanden Hurk led Waikiki to a 2-0 blanking of the Honolulu Sharks in his final start of the season, allowing one hit and one walk with eight strikeouts over five innings.
In 2006, the 6-foot-5 righty from the Netherlands posted a 1.20 ERA in five starts with the Gulf Coast Marlins and had a 2.70 ERA in three starts for the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads. Here's how the rest of the Marlins prospects fared during Winter League action:

Bunch of different young guys in there.

RWhitney014
02-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Vanden Hurk has always been an interesting prospect but was never on the field enough to show his stuff. If he can stay healthy, he's a very good relief prospect. My concern, though, is how a guy with that many Ks managed an ERA of 3.60. If he walks a lot of guys, that's gotta stop, too, especially with his stuff.

Alex44
02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Vanden Hurk has always been an interesting prospect but was never on the field enough to show his stuff. If he can stay healthy, he's a very good relief prospect. My concern, though, is how a guy with that many Ks managed an ERA of 3.60. If he walks a lot of guys, that's gotta stop, too, especially with his stuff.

Sounds like he can really dominate by those numbers, the era confused me some though. He must have had some controll issues to pitch that well and still have a 3.60 era.

Renyel Pinto was pretty good too which is good news.

Postseason games: 1-0 with a 1.45 ERA and 24 k's. Allowed 6 runs (but only three earned) in 18 2/3 innings.

Regular season: 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA in six games (four starts)

Hopefully he can build off that success.

Mainge
02-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Sounds like he can really dominate by those numbers, the era confused me some though. He must have had some controll issues to pitch that well and still have a 3.60 era.

Renyel Pinto was pretty good too which is good news.

Postseason games: 1-0 with a 1.45 ERA and 24 k's. Allowed 6 runs (but only three earned) in 18 2/3 innings.

Regular season: 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA in six games (four starts)

Hopefully he can build off that success.

Man, if Loria wasn't such a tight-wad, we could pretty much have anyone in the league with out pitching prospects.

RWhitney014
02-04-2007, 03:21 AM
I'm excited about Pinto, to be honest. The guy's stuff is beyond nasty. The only thing he needs to do is cut down on his walks and he'd be a great fireman. With him and Tank, we could be set on the left-handed side of the pen for a long time.

We just need serious help from the right. In the long run, the hope is that Martinez and Kensing come back, Owens or someone like that graduates to closer, Vanden Hurk and Tucker make it, and on and on. There's no doubt we have tons of good arms in the system...by numbers, some have to become decent relievers.

Alex44
02-04-2007, 03:25 AM
I'm excited about Pinto, to be honest. The guy's stuff is beyond nasty. The only thing he needs to do is cut down on his walks and he'd be a great fireman. With him and Tank, we could be set on the left-handed side of the pen for a long time.

We just need serious help from the right. In the long run, the hope is that Martinez and Kensing come back, Owens or someone like that graduates to closer, Vanden Hurk and Tucker make it, and on and on. There's no doubt we have tons of good arms in the system...by numbers, some have to become decent relievers.

Who do you think will be the closer heading into the season? I'm not worried about middle relief so much because we have some very good young arms. I just wonder about who will be closing out games. That could really make or break us.

RWhitney014
02-05-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm still holding out hope that we make some kind of acquisition. If everyone's healthy, I could see them giving Nolasco a shot. If neither of those, Owens would probably be my first pick. Tank's too good to have closing, and I generally don't like having a lefty as a closer just because it limits who he can pitch to, matchups-wise.

Fresh
02-05-2007, 01:17 AM
I watched a lot of games last year........far more than I expected. This year, I plan on watching even more. I'm excited to watch guys like Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson progress. Can't forget about Anibal's no-hitter last year. I remember how pumped Cabrera was (fellow Venezuelan).

Go Marlins.

(as for the MLB in general, I won't watch any other games until the playoffs like always!)
..other than the Yanks & Red Sox, some Ryan Howard, some Mets games :wink:

Alex44
02-05-2007, 07:56 PM
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070203&content_id=1793646&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

What are the chances that Dan Uggla moves out of the No. 2 slot in the lineup? I really like the idea of putting a power hitter in the two slot, as it gives the lineup protection with the No. 3 slot -- in this case, Miguel Cabrera -- without moving Cabrera down to the four slot. That's much like Chris Duncan and Albert Pujols with the Cards. However, the "normal" lineup is having two very fast guys as your 1-2, and putting all power hitters in the middle of the lineup. So will Uggla stay at the two spot or will he move to the middle of the lineup?
Secondly, why didn't the Marlins go after Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 Draft? He has a lot of talent and could have possibly won the starting center-field spot.
-- John H., Gainesville, Fla.
I'll address the second question first. From what I've gathered, the Marlins indeed were leaning toward taking Hamilton in the Rule 5 Draft, but the former Tampa Bay prospect was taken third by the Cubs, who picked ahead of the Marlins in the draft order. Immediately, Chicago turned around and traded him to the Reds to complete a prearranged deal. As for Uggla hitting second, you may recall the All-Star second baseman paced the team in home runs with 27. Cabrera and Josh Willingham each had 26. So having Uggla batting ahead of Cabrera does provide a powerful 2-3 option. I like Uggla batting second because it seemed when he was asked to bat lower in the order, he tried to do too much, and lengthened his swing to be more of a power hitter. Batting ahead of Cabrera and behind Ramirez, he found a nice groove. The question I have with Uggla, and it's similar to the other rookies from a year ago, is how they will adjust to their second full season in the big leagues.

Mainge
02-05-2007, 08:39 PM
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070203&content_id=1793646&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

I think if Hermida begins to reach his stride, you stick him in the 2 slot. His patience is superb and I think he can be a .300+ hitter.

With Ramirez and Hermida, two high on-base guys, you can get more RBI opportunities for Cabrera and company.

Of course, this all depends on Hermida.

Alex44
02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
A couple different pieces of news. I'll do them in seperate posts to be easy.

FSN to televise 150 games this season.

FSN to televise 150 games (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070206&content_id=1796051&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

FSN Florida will televise 150 Marlins regular-season games, including 74 home and 76 road games.
The exclusive regional television home of the Marlins, FSN Florida once again will feature the broadcast team of Rich Waltz handling play-by-play and Tommy Hutton handling commentary.

Alex44
02-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Spring Training Quick Hits (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070203&content_id=1793824&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

It has the projected batting order and pitching rotation.

Alex44
02-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Marlins look to build on surprisng 06 (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070203&content_id=1793650&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

Closer and Centerfield to come from within (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070206&content_id=1796226&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

At the Marlins' annual media kickoff luncheon on Tuesday, much of the attention predictably centered around two positions -- center field and closer.
The Marlins, who won 78 games last season with help from the National League Rookie of the Year, shortstop Hanley Ramirez, and four rookie pitchers who each won at least 10 games, feel they are set everywhere else.

Alex44
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Last but not least.

Closer to be determined in Spring (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070206&content_id=1795574&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

Through creativity and craftiness, the Marlins' front office was able to put together a World Series championship club in 2003 and one of the most promising young squads in the league last season.
Yet, for all the clever moves and quality players brought in, one area of the club has repeatedly been the most frustrating to build: the bullpen.

Mainge
02-07-2007, 10:27 PM
This team and season are going to frustrate the hell out of me.

SOOO much talent, and yet, such GLARING weaknesses. Ohh, and the ERRORS!! :wall:

Can't wait. :D

Mike13
02-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Marlins have the most talented infield (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2757420)

Vertical Limit
02-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Marlins have the most talented infield (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2757420)
I'm still not settled with Mike Jacobs, his infield play is okay, but his bat is inconsistent, especially against lefties. He does do a good job though.

I would not be surprised if we send 4 Marlins to the All Star game this season, or even 5-6 [depending on how are young pitchers do].

But the 4 that have the best chance are: Miguel Cabrera [no brainer], Dontrelle Willis, Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla.

Vertical Limit
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I'll say this though, IF the Marlins start the season hot, expect the seats to fill up fast.

RWhitney014
02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm still not settled with Mike Jacobs, his infield play is okay, but his bat is inconsistent, especially against lefties. He does do a good job though.

I would not be surprised if we send 4 Marlins to the All Star game this season, or even 5-6 [depending on how are young pitchers do].

But the 4 that have the best chance are: Miguel Cabrera [no brainer], Dontrelle Willis, Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla.

Jake is not a franchise player. He's merely a pretty good 1B. But as far as last year is concerned, he was playing on a broken ankle for about 5 months. That injury healing up should help boost his numbers. He never had problems in the minors with hitting lefties, so a fresh psychological start with them could help, especially because there's no Wes Helms behind him to absolutely take the ABs if he doesn't do well. I could see him posting .270-27-85-.340 numbers with average-to-below-average defense this year, and if that's in the 5 hole, it's plenty acceptable.

Mainge
02-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Jake is not a franchise player. He's merely a pretty good 1B. But as far as last year is concerned, he was playing on a broken ankle for about 5 months. That injury healing up should help boost his numbers. He never had problems in the minors with hitting lefties, so a fresh psychological start with them could help, especially because there's no Wes Helms behind him to absolutely take the ABs if he doesn't do well. I could see him posting .270-27-85-.340 numbers with average-to-below-average defense this year, and if that's in the 5 hole, it's plenty acceptable.

Works for me. Can't wait for Gaby to get his shot.

Get Up And Go
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
6 days till pitchers and catchers report. AHHHH so slow.

BAMAPHIN 22
02-13-2007, 03:06 PM
The Marlins' dour prediction of continued low payrolls also is why pitcher Dontrelle Willis, the only other Marlin making big money, is sure to be the subject of trade rumors again. Anyone who doubts D-Train might be in another uniform before season's end hasn't been paying attention to the ardor with which the Jeffrey Loria ownership works to save a buck.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/02/13/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html

DeathStar
02-16-2007, 12:30 PM
its time to trade the d-train.

so we still dont have a catcher or center fielder...WTF was our front office doing this offseason???

UCFinfan86
02-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Whats wrong with Miguel Olivo at C?

Alex44
02-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Alex Sanchez will be the CF. Not a bad player....good speed and decent fielder. Should be our #8 hitter.

Ray Finkle
02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Alex Sanchez will be the CF. Not a bad player....good speed and decent fielder. Should be our #8 hitter.

Unless Willis is pitching.

Alex44
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Unless Willis is pitching.

Willis should be our #6 hitter :lol:

BAMAPHIN 22
02-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Marlins' Cabrera becomes first in '07 to win arbitration

Miguel Cabrera (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/7163) became the first player to win in arbitration this year when the Florida Marlins (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/marlins)' All-Star third baseman was awarded a $7.4 million salary on Saturday instead of the team's offer of $6.7 million.

Cabrera made $472,000 last year and was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He was second in the NL last season with a .339 batting average, and he had 26 homers and 114 RBIs.

The arbitration panel of Howard Block, Stephen Goldberg and Elliott Shriftman made the decision one day after hearing arguments in the case.

Cabrera received the third-highest salary in arbitration, trailing only the $10 million Alfonso Soriano (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6154) earned after losing to Washington last year and the $8.2 million Andruw Jones (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/5681) got when he defeated Atlanta in 2001.

Cabrera was ecstatic with the ruling, said his agent, Fernando Cuza.

"We were confident going in," Cuza said. "You never know how the arbitrator is actually going to rule, but we felt good about it."

Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said the team budgeted for the decision to go either way.

"You're talking about a guy who's up in the top of his class," Beinfest said. "We thought our filing number was indicative of that, and obviously the arbitrators thought otherwise. It was a lot of money either way for a great player."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/17/bc.bbn.marlins.cabrera.ap/index.html

Mainge
02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Marlins' Cabrera becomes first in '07 to win arbitration

Miguel Cabrera (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/7163) became the first player to win in arbitration this year when the Florida Marlins (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/marlins)' All-Star third baseman was awarded a $7.4 million salary on Saturday instead of the team's offer of $6.7 million.

Cabrera made $472,000 last year and was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He was second in the NL last season with a .339 batting average, and he had 26 homers and 114 RBIs.

The arbitration panel of Howard Block, Stephen Goldberg and Elliott Shriftman made the decision one day after hearing arguments in the case.

Cabrera received the third-highest salary in arbitration, trailing only the $10 million Alfonso Soriano (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6154) earned after losing to Washington last year and the $8.2 million Andruw Jones (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/5681) got when he defeated Atlanta in 2001.

Cabrera was ecstatic with the ruling, said his agent, Fernando Cuza.

"We were confident going in," Cuza said. "You never know how the arbitrator is actually going to rule, but we felt good about it."

Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said the team budgeted for the decision to go either way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/17/bc.bbn.marlins.cabrera.ap/index.html

700k difference? are you kidding me? The FO called him out over 700k?

Alex44
02-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Could End up as our closer

Lindstrom making push for closer role (http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070220&content_id=1808601&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla)

Playing in the Puerto Rican Winter League this offseason, his fastball was clocked at 102 mph.

An expression that has been tossed about in camp is: Lindstrom can throw a marshmallow through a battleship.

nick1
02-21-2007, 09:37 AM
gonna be a good year for the Marlins. I don't think anyone besides the Mets are any good in the divison so I expect a two horse race the whole year

Rocky Raccoon
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
gonna be a good year for the Marlins. I don't think anyone besides the Mets are any good in the divison so I expect a two horse race the whole year

then you'll be disappointed. The Braves are going to be better than they were last year after fixing their bullpen and the Phillies will also be there at the end. IMO it will be a 3 team race between the Mets, Braves, and Phillies with 2 of them making the playoffs.

nick1
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
then you'll be disappointed. The Braves are going to be better than they were last year after fixing their bullpen and the Phillies will also be there at the end. IMO it will be a 3 team race between the Mets, Braves, and Phillies with 2 of them making the playoffs.

now that seems biased, why wouldn't you have the Marlins in there? they were hot last year, they almost won the wild-card spot they were so hot. and the team is definitely going to be improved as they were all very young last year, Willis had an off year and he will be back on track this season. you can't dismiss this team

Ray Finkle
02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
now that seems biased, why wouldn't you have the Marlins in there? they were hot last year, they almost won the wild-card spot they were so hot. and the team is definitely going to be improved as they were all very young last year, Willis had an off year and he will be back on track this season. you can't dismiss this team

The general feeling is that every player on the team played hot (and most way over their head) at the same time. To repeat that again this year will be very tough as every team probably has a better scouting report on the players, not to mention the added stress and pressure of playing up to their magical 2006 season. Adding to the fact that the Marlins didn't do anything in the offseason to address their closer or CF problem and their biggest off season move was signing Aaron Boone.

The Marlins have some studs on their team: Miggy Cabrera, Hanley, Olsen, Willis, Johnson and possibly Anibal if he can stay healthy but it's going to be hard to compete with the Mets, Phillies and even Braves this year. Bottom line the Marlins don't have the line up the Mets or Phillies have, don't have the pen the Mets or Braves have and although their starters have a chance to be special you have to expect some regression (as its natural) plus a lot of those pitchers are starting to show effects of pitching so much last year (Anibal and Johnson so far).

UCFinfan86
02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I think its going to be
1. Mets
2. Phillies
3. Marlins
4. Braves
5. Nationals

The phillies upgraded their SP and have a pretty solid rotation (Myers, Hamels, Garcia, Moyer, Eaton) to go along with a very good Lineup. I believe their lineup can compete with the Mets this year. I think Victorino and Roward(contract year) will play great.

The Marlins can't afford any injuries to any of their hitters. If Cabrera or Hanley go down for any significant period of time they will be in big trouble.

Perfect23
02-21-2007, 11:18 AM
are they gonna start aroon boone at 3b

Ray Finkle
02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
are they gonna start aroon boone at 3b

No they have a guy named Miguel Cabrera that plays there. Boone will be a super utility guy for them filling in when someone needs a rest.

Rocky Raccoon
02-21-2007, 11:23 AM
now that seems biased, why wouldn't you have the Marlins in there? they were hot last year, they almost won the wild-card spot they were so hot. and the team is definitely going to be improved as they were all very young last year, Willis hawd an off year and he will be back on track this season. you can't dismiss this team

I'm not biased, I just don't think the Marlins will be as good as the Mets, Braves, and Phillies. I have nothing against them at all it's just how I feel. I also said last year that I'm not a Mets fan as much as I'm a David Wright and Jose Reyes fan, so if the Mets have holes I'm not gonna pretend they're not there. And I love Miguel Cabrera too, as well as Jeff Francoeur, so there's no bias.

Alex44
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm not biased, I just don't think the Marlins will be as good as the Mets, Braves, and Phillies. I have nothing against them at all it's just how I feel. I also said last year that I'm not a Mets fan as much as I'm a David Wright and Jose Reyes fan, so if the Mets have holes I'm not gonna pretend they're not there. And I love Miguel Cabrera too, as well as Jeff Francoeur, so there's no bias.

What do the Braves have at all that would make you think they will even finish ahead of Washington?

Seriously the Mets will be up there and possibly Philli but the Braves are mostly trash at this point IMO other than Chipper and Andrew it's a bunch of mediocre players.

Rocky Raccoon
02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
What do the Braves have at all that would make you think they will even finish ahead of Washington?

Seriously the Mets will be up there and possibly Philli but the Braves are mostly trash at this point IMO other than Chipper and Andrew it's a bunch of mediocre players.

The Braves biggest hole last year was bullpen. They fixed it in the offseason by making a few moves. The biggest probably signing Soriano. They have a good offense with guys like Andruw and Chipper Jones, Jeff Francoeur, Brian McCann, etc. Their starting pitching is so-so but I think they can get the job done.

Ray Finkle
02-21-2007, 11:50 AM

They have a good staff with Smoltz, Hudson, Hampton (assuming he comes back healthy), James, Davies. Good pen with Gonzo, Soriano and Wickman. And they have some good bats with the Joneses, Franny, Renteria and McCann (who's a top catcher). Don't forget they still have Bobby Cox and will be angry their streak ended last year.

I think they'll surprise a lot of people this year.

nick1
02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
The Braves biggest hole last year was bullpen. They fixed it in the offseason by making a few moves. The biggest probably signing Soriano. They have a good offense with guys like Andruw and Chipper Jones, Jeff Francoeur, Brian McCann, etc. Their starting pitching is so-so but I think they can get the job done.

I'd bet you anything the Marlins finish above the Braves, it's a lock

Rocky Raccoon
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM

I'll take that bet bro. I'll take that bet with any Marlins fan.

nick1
02-21-2007, 12:01 PM
I'll take that bet bro. I'll take that bet with any Marlins fan.

:ninja:

MikeO
02-21-2007, 12:56 PM

I'll take that bet too

miamikid92
02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
were is our center fielder..:boohoo:

RWhitney014
02-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Number one, Washington is last. They have literally no SP. They make the Mets look like the '01 D'Backs.

Two, the Phillies' acquisitions of Eaton and Garcia are worrisome, because both give up their share of fly balls, and in CBP, that's not good. Their offense is fantastic, but their rotation is a bunch of 3s with the possible exception of Hamels and their pen isn't special. The most complete team, really, is Atlanta. They have an okay offense, they have a pretty good starting staff, solid defense, and a suddenly fantastic bullpen, not to mention the managerial factor. I'd put the Marlins next, especially if a closer and a center fielder emerge, then the Mets because of their offense, then the Phillies, then the Nats. That's in terms of talent on the field. In terms of standings, I'll go 1) Mets, 2) Marlins, 3) Phillies, 4) Braves, 5) Nats, but those 1-4 are all .500+ teams in the 84-88 win range.

DeathStar
02-23-2007, 04:24 AM
why the hell is this thread 4 stars?

DeathStar
02-23-2007, 04:25 AM
were is our center fielder..:boohoo:

great question...apparanlty our manager is going to choose from one of 6 bums. :lol:

The Rev
02-23-2007, 08:14 AM
great question...apparanlty our manager is going to choose from one of 6 bums. :lol:

We have not addressed our need for a center fielder. There is no clear closer on the team. We have some decent set up man and our pitching staff (although studs) needs to sustain that high level for a whole year. Can Jacobs play the whole year even while there are lefties pitching. Other than that, we should be fine. :chuckle:

UCFinfan86
02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Number one, Washington is last. They have literally no SP. They make the Mets look like the '01 D'Backs.

Two, the Phillies' acquisitions of Eaton and Garcia are worrisome, because both give up their share of fly balls, and in CBP, that's not good. Their offense is fantastic, but their rotation is a bunch of 3s with the possible exception of Hamels and their pen isn't special. The most complete team, really, is Atlanta. They have an okay offense, they have a pretty good starting staff, solid defense, and a suddenly fantastic bullpen, not to mention the managerial factor. I'd put the Marlins next, especially if a closer and a center fielder emerge, then the Mets because of their offense, then the Phillies, then the Nats. That's in terms of talent on the field. In terms of standings, I'll go 1) Mets, 2) Marlins, 3) Phillies, 4) Braves, 5) Nats, but those 1-4 are all .500+ teams in the 84-88 win range.

I love how you point out Phillies flaws, but fails to mention any of Floridas flaws. What about how it seems almost all 2nd year starters regress? What about the fact that Uggla played way over his head? You still don't have a closer, no one knows if tankersley can hold down the job. You guys still need a 5th starter and a CF.

Now the phillies have problems also, but you think Hamels is the only one that isn't a number 3 in their rotation? What about Myers?

Alex44
02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I love how you point out all of Phillies flaws, but fails to mention any of Floridas flaws. What about how it seems almost all 2nd year starters regress? What about the fact that Uggla played way over his head? You still don't have a closer, no one knows if tankersley can hold down the job. You guys still need a 5th starter and a CF.

Now the phillies have problems also, but you think Hamels is the only one that isn't a number 3 in their rotation? What about Myers?

:confused: Nolasco is the fifth starter and he is a .500 or better pitcher. If you are banking on all our starters taking a step back and one flaw in the outfield for us to play poorly your going to be in for a rough season.

Alex Sanchez will be our centerfielder, not a big name but he has speed and will be a decent #8 hitter.

Ray Finkle
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
:confused: Nolasco is the fifth starter and he is a .500 or better pitcher. If you are banking on all our starters taking a step back and one flaw in the outfield for us to play poorly your going to be in for a rough season.

Alex Sanchez will be our centerfielder, not a big name but he has speed and will be a decent #8 hitter.

Well Sanchez has to make the team first. Anyway I'd be worried about him being the CFer considering he's a 30 year old journey man who hasn't been a full time starter since 2003 and didn't even play in the MLB last year. I think Marlin fans are counting on someone either might not even make the team or will probably be cut by June.

Bottom line: Marlins should trade for Rocco to play CF.

UCFinfan86
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM

Nolsaco is in the running for closer, since tankersley is lefthanded they might decide to use him as a specialist this year. And i didnt say all the starters are, but atleast 1 probably will. The Marlins are my 2nd favorite team, but marlins fans think they are going to be soo good this year, i look for them to take a step back and then contend next year. 2nd year SPs usually always regress, and then their 3rd year they bounce back.

Rocky Raccoon
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM

I think 2 teams from the division will make the playoffs this year. And IMO the Braves, Phillies and Mets are the 3 that will be fighting for it with the Braves and Phillies coming out in the end. I just don't think the Marlins will be able to hang with them all season long. But hey, they shocked me before, maybe they'll do it again.

MikeO
02-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I think 2 teams from the division will make the playoffs this year. And IMO the Braves, Phillies and Mets are the 3 that will be fighting for it with the Braves and Phillies coming out in the end. I just don't think the Marlins will be able to hang with them all season long. But hey, they shocked me before, maybe they'll do it again.

Philly's starting pitching is pretty damn good. Granted they play in a bad pitchers ballpark but they do get 81 games on the road and they will pitch good enough at home. With a big lineup, that team is no joke.

RWhitney014
02-24-2007, 03:03 AM
I love how you point out Phillies flaws, but fails to mention any of Floridas flaws. What about how it seems almost all 2nd year starters regress? What about the fact that Uggla played way over his head? You still don't have a closer, no one knows if tankersley can hold down the job. You guys still need a 5th starter and a CF.

Oh, no generalizations there. A lot of guys struggle in their second years, so all of Florida's starters will. There's a thing called talent and a thing called stuff, and every single guy Florida plans to trot out there on a daily basis has both of them. Who said Uggla played over his head last year? Just because he wasn't hailed as an unbelievable prospect doesn't mean he didn't have talent. No one had any idea who that big kid one year removed from Maple Woods Community College in St. Louis' camp in spring 2001 was until Albert Pujols started hitting and hitting and hitting.

As far as the bullpen, we had no set closer in 2005, when Todd Jones lit the world on fire. We had no set closer in 2006, when Joe Borowski had a very nice year until tanking in September. We have no set closer this year, either, but we still have a bunch of guys, again, with great arms and great talent, and I'm confident that one will step up from an educated baseball player analysis standpoint. Center field is a black hole. It doesn't even bear mentioning because there's no defense for it at the moment.

As for the Phillies' starters and Brett Myers, yeah, I think he's a third starter. He's going to give you 12-14 wins and 180-200 innings. He'll dominate a couple games, he'll get blown up a couple games, but mostly he'll give you a nice number of quality starts. Being a number 3 isn't an insult; very few teams have legit 2s and 3s. Most have an ace and a bunch of 4s and 5s. But there's no pitcher on that staff right now that makes me say, "oh, crap, we're going to lose tomorrow, [name] is pitching." Hamels could very well get there this year. But right now, he's in the same boat as the Marlins' young foursome: great stuff, great talent, great arm, but then again, he's in his second year now, so he, by rule, will suck.

Seriously, the Phillies have a nice team, but they always self-destruct, always find ways to blow it, always find excuses why they fall short. Every other team in the division with the exception of the Nationals/Expos has made the playoffs since 2003. The Phillies are the only "contender" who haven't. So let them get there, prove Jimmy Rollins right, and I'll give them their props. Until then, I won't pick them.

UCFinfan86
02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh, no generalizations there. A lot of guys struggle in their second years, so all of Florida's starters will. There's a thing called talent and a thing called stuff, and every single guy Florida plans to trot out there on a daily basis has both of them. Who said Uggla played over his head last year? Just because he wasn't hailed as an unbelievable prospect doesn't mean he didn't have talent. No one had any idea who that big kid one year removed from Maple Woods Community College in St. Louis' camp in spring 2001 was until Albert Pujols started hitting and hitting and hitting.

As far as the bullpen, we had no set closer in 2005, when Todd Jones lit the world on fire. We had no set closer in 2006, when Joe Borowski had a very nice year until tanking in September. We have no set closer this year, either, but we still have a bunch of guys, again, with great arms and great talent, and I'm confident that one will step up from an educated baseball player analysis standpoint. Center field is a black hole. It doesn't even bear mentioning because there's no defense for it at the moment.

As for the Phillies' starters and Brett Myers, yeah, I think he's a third starter. He's going to give you 12-14 wins and 180-200 innings. He'll dominate a couple games, he'll get blown up a couple games, but mostly he'll give you a nice number of quality starts. Being a number 3 isn't an insult; very few teams have legit 2s and 3s. Most have an ace and a bunch of 4s and 5s. But there's no pitcher on that staff right now that makes me say, "oh, crap, we're going to lose tomorrow, [name] is pitching." Hamels could very well get there this year. But right now, he's in the same boat as the Marlins' young foursome: great stuff, great talent, great arm, but then again, he's in his second year now, so he, by rule, will suck.

Seriously, the Phillies have a nice team, but they always self-destruct, always find ways to blow it, always find excuses why they fall short. Every other team in the division with the exception of the Nationals/Expos has made the playoffs since 2003. The Phillies are the only "contender" who haven't. So let them get there, prove Jimmy Rollins right, and I'll give them their props. Until then, I won't pick them.

I didn't say all of the marlins starters will regress, but some of them most likely will. Theres a thing called Talent? Felix Hernandez regressed last year, he has no talent? Theres a million guys who fail their 2nd year

The phillies might not have any guy who says, oh crap we have to go against him, but neither does Florida.

I just think your extremely biased, which is no problem im the same way with all my teams, Id rather have hope in my team.

RWhitney014
02-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I didn't say all of the marlins starters will regress, but some of them most likely will. Theres a thing called Talent? Felix Hernandez regressed last year, he has no talent? Theres a million guys who fail their 2nd year

The phillies might not have any guy who says, oh crap we have to go against him, but neither does Florida.

I just think your extremely biased, which is no problem im the same way with all my teams, Id rather have hope in my team.

Dontrelle Willis is better than any pitcher Philadelphia has in their farm system. His crappy year last year was equal to Myers' career best.

Go ask opposing hitters whom they would rather face between Olsen and Moyer, Garcia and Willis, Sanchez and Eaton, Johnson and Hamels, etc., and most will pick to hit against the Phillies.

And your point about Felix Hernandez is circular. You said guys in their second year fail. I said that's a generalization and can't be applied to all of Florida's pitchers. You responded by saying there are "a million guys who fail their 2nd year."

Am I biased? Sure. But it's also in looking at numbers, scouting reports, trends in 2006, and I'll take Florida's rotation over Philadelphia's.

Ray Finkle
02-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Before I go on my rant I just want to say that I think this is how the East will end up: Mets, Philly, Braves, Marlins, Nationals.

Here's what is confusing me a bit: Philly was 7 games better than FL was last year. In the off-season Philly upgraded their team by adding starting pitching depth in Freddy Garcia and Adam Eaton. Freddy is a solid #3 guy and Eaton (if healthy) is a pretty good #5 starter. So they upgraded in their pitching, 3rd base with Helms and catcher with Barajas. I realize 3rd and catcher aren't major upgrades but upgrades none the less. Phillies pen is still a mess and as much as I'm not a Tom Gordon fan, he gets the job done in the regular season. The Phillies have the bats to carry them into the playoffs, as their line up is almost as good as the Mets (who's pitching staff is a lot worse). I don't understand how people can write off the Phillies but not the Mets as everyone says that the Mets bats can carry them into the playoffs (which I believe they will) even if they have no pitching but why can't Philly, especially considering they have better starters? With the moves the Phillies made they're no reason to believe they can't win 85 games again this year especially with the upgrades to starting pitching and their powerful line up.

Florida hasn't done a thing to address their major problems: CF and closer, two very important positions. When you're biggest move in the winter was signing a back up infielder (Boone) that's a problem. The Marlins were extremely lucky to have their team be healthy basically the whole season and avoid major injuries to their players and now both Johnson and Sanchez have some red flags with their arms so that's something to watch. I think a lot of things went right for the team last year at the same time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is every team in the NL East improvement their teams but Florida and Washington and I just don't think this Marlins team will be better than 80 wins this year and really that's only good enough for 4th place in the NL East.

MikeO
02-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Before I go on my rant I just want to say that I think this is how the East will end up: Mets, Philly, Braves, Marlins, Nationals.

Here's what is confusing me a bit: Philly was 7 games better than FL was last year. In the off-season Philly upgraded their team by adding starting pitching depth in Freddy Garcia and Adam Eaton. Freddy is a solid #3 guy and Eaton (if healthy) is a pretty good #5 starter. So they upgraded in their pitching, 3rd base with Helms and catcher with Barajas. I realize 3rd and catcher aren't major upgrades but upgrades none the less. Phillies pen is still a mess and as much as I'm not a Tom Gordon fan, he gets the job done in the regular season. The Phillies have the bats to carry them into the playoffs, as their line up is almost as good as the Mets (who's pitching staff is a lot worse). I don't understand how people can write off the Phillies but not the Mets as everyone says that the Mets bats can carry them into the playoffs (which I believe they will) even if they have no pitching but why can't Philly, especially considering they have better starters? With the moves the Phillies made they're no reason to believe they can't win 85 games again this year especially with the upgrades to starting pitching and their powerful line up.

Florida hasn't done a thing to address their major problems: CF and closer, two very important positions. When you're biggest move in the winter was signing a back up infielder (Boone) that's a problem. The Marlins were extremely lucky to have their team be healthy basically the whole season and avoid major injuries to their players and now both Johnson and Sanchez have some red flags with their arms so that's something to watch. I think a lot of things went right for the team last year at the same time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is every team in the NL East improvement their teams but Florida and Washington and I just don't think this Marlins team will be better than 80 wins this year and really that's only good enough for 4th place in the NL East.
One thing you fail to mention is Loria in a stroke of brilliance felt the need to fire the NL manager of the year. That is a move that will haunt this team not only this year but for years to come. Those players played for Joe G.

UCFinfan86
02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Dontrelle Willis is better than any pitcher Philadelphia has in their farm system. His crappy year last year was equal to Myers' career best.

Go ask opposing hitters whom they would rather face between Olsen and Moyer, Garcia and Willis, Sanchez and Eaton, Johnson and Hamels, etc., and most will pick to hit against the Phillies.

And your point about Felix Hernandez is circular. You said guys in their second year fail. I said that's a generalization and can't be applied to all of Florida's pitchers. You responded by saying there are "a million guys who fail their 2nd year."

Am I biased? Sure. But it's also in looking at numbers, scouting reports, trends in 2006, and I'll take Florida's rotation over Philadelphia's.

Florida might have an edge in Starting Pitching, but Philly has a bigger lead in Offense

RWhitney014
02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Florida might have an edge in Starting Pitching, but Philly has a bigger lead in Offense

Granted, but pitching wins. The 2001 D'Backs won because of Johnson and Schilling, the 2003 Marlins won because of Beckett, Penny, Willis, and Pavano, the 2004 Red Sox won because of Pedro and Schilling and Lowe, the 2005 White Sox, well, nuff said, the 2006 Cards because of Carpenter.

And Mike, Joe Girardi?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/baseball/20070225-9999-1s25bbhorn.html

However nice the story of Jon Lieber's turnaround last year – the Phillies right-hander went from 4-8 with a 6.09 ERA on July 31 to 5-3, 3.38 in his final 11 starts – purists have to wonder about the source of his improvement. At his low point, Lieber gave up nine runs on 13 hits in only 4 2/3 innings against the Marlins, whereupon he got a phone call from Florida manager Joe Girardi.

“He just mentioned that the hitters said everything that was coming in was just very flat,” Lieber said, attributing his turnabout to that conversation. “Basically I was underneath the ball. I wasn't on top of the ball like I should have been. And that's why the ball doesn't have that crispness when it gets to the strike zone or that sharp break on my breaking ball. It just kind of stays right there for the hitters to lick their lips at.”

OK? Can we put it to rest?

MikeO
02-25-2007, 06:50 PM
put what to rest?? So a manager helped a player on another team. You think this was the first time this has ever happened?? Happens all the time. Not a big deal!

Girardi did a great job last year and you want to knock him. Unreal

Alex44
02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
put what to rest?? So a manager helped a player on another team. You think this was the first time this has ever happened?? Happens all the time. Not a big deal!

Girardi did a great job last year and you want to knock him. Unreal

I might be wrong but last year wasnt it you who said managing isnt a big deal at all and overrated?

phinphan896
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Well Sanchez has to make the team first. Anyway I'd be worried about him being the CFer considering he's a 30 year old journey man who hasn't been a full time starter since 2003 and didn't even play in the MLB last year. I think Marlin fans are counting on someone either might not even make the team or will probably be cut by June.

Bottom line: Marlins should trade for Rocco to play CF.
isnt sanchez hurt?

MikeO
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I might be wrong but last year wasnt it you who said managing isnt a big deal at all and overrated?

For the most part yes. Managers only are making at most 1 or 2 important decisions that will effect the outcome of a game. Some games none, it isn't the NBA or NFL!!!

But when you have a young team like Florida the manager becomes MORE important not from an X and O standpoint just from a leadership standpoint. Will be interesting to watch this year.

Ray Finkle
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
isnt sanchez hurt?

Anibal Sanchez is/was. I was talking about Alex Sanchez who's an outfielder.

RWhitney014
02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Sanchez is fine. He'll be starting the season in the rotation barring complications.

Joe Girardi is gone and never coming back. Forget about him.

MikeO
02-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Joe Girardi is gone and never coming back. Forget about him.

You posted the link! :rolleyes:

RWhitney014
02-26-2007, 02:09 AM
You posted the link! :rolleyes:

In response to your whining for the millionth time about something you clearly don't seem to understand. EVERYONE IN THE FRONT OFFICE HATED THE GUY! He managed to alienate the GM, the scouting department, the freaking owner, everyone! Did the players like him? Sure, seems like it, but just because they liked him doesn't mean they won't and don't like Fredi. I'm sure they all enjoy having their leashes loosened.

ChambersWI
02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I think you can make a case for any NL East team (minues the Nats) can in the division.

1.The Mets have quetions in their rotation, and maybe some PB questions.

2.Talking to several Philly fans they've got 3 concerns. 1)Can Ryan Howad conistently carry the team when they struggle. 2)Will Pat Burrell continue to be a locker room cancer. 3)Will the hillies have their annual first have struggles.

3.The Marlins main quetions are if the young players (and Olivo) can continue their success, CF, and closer. The BP is not set yet, but IMO the players who will make up this BP are better than last years (Felix Rodriguez could b the 4th vet in a row to make a huge comeback as closer in Florida).

4.Chipper is steadily declining, Francouer needs to start taking walks, and the starting pitching is questionable. Though I will not bet against Cox finding a way to win.

5.The Nats are the only team with no shot. Horrible defense, barely any pitching, almost no power, or speed.

I've got a really good feeling about this year (although JJ might miss the beginning of the season). I'd have liked to see an upgrade at CF, but all they have to do is put up better numbers than Abercrombie did last year, which should not be hard.

Alex44
02-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey guys I'd love for you to check out these two articles I wrote. One is an NL East prediction (my homerism shows :chuckle: and one is a 2007 marlins preview. (Note: I forgot to use spell check on the Marlins preview)

2007 NL East Prediction (http://www.helium.com/tm/186691/people-runaway-favorites-season)

2007 Florida Marlins Preview (http://www.helium.com/tm/185691/upstart-marlins-surprising-season)

Get Up And Go
02-28-2007, 01:34 AM
One thing you fail to mention is Loria in a stroke of brilliance felt the need to fire the NL manager of the year. That is a move that will haunt this team not only this year but for years to come. Those players played for Joe G.

Thank you Girardi for 06 but this team will play just as hard for Freddie.

Mainge
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
According to this thread on a Marlins Message Board, Taylor Tankersly has elbow tendinitus and could miss the first few week of April.

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71430

The poster has no link, but looks legit.

Get Up And Go
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Hard fought game today. Fish beat the O's 8-6 with the help of Jason Wood's walk off 2-run homer.

Alex44
03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Hard fought game today. Fish beat the O's 8-6 with the help of Jason Wood's walk off 2-run homer.

Man I cant wait for some REAL baseball. Regular season is so close....yet so far.

Mainge
03-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Well this could really suck...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2007/03/01/0301marlins.html

Alex44
03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Thats a huge loss if it is nerve damage but he should be back with 1 to 2 months as long as it's not to severe. I'm really interested to see that kid Chris Volstad though. He could end up great and it might not be all to bad. If Volstad is the one they call up and he has success we could possibly pencil him into the rotation and have Nolasco close.

DonShula84
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Johnson will miss atleast the first two months

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2789378

phinphan896
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
According to this thread on a Marlins Message Board, Taylor Tankersly has elbow tendinitus and could miss the first few week of April.

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71430

The poster has no link, but looks legit.
looks like nolasco might have to be our closers

Get Up And Go
03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I can't wait till they make some cuts and the starters play longer.
I want to see how the real team plays while in spring.

Alex44
03-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't pay attention to spring wins and losses at all. Last year we had one of the best spring records and look how we started the season.

Anyway it seems like Eric Reed may win the CF job. Going into last yesterdays game he was hitting .385 while the guy I had winning the spot Alex Sancez was only hitting .207

Both have really good speed and would be the #8 hitter.

Mainge
03-18-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't pay attention to spring wins and losses at all. Last year we had one of the best spring records and look how we started the season.

Anyway it seems like Eric Reed may win the CF job. Going into last yesterdays game he was hitting .385 while the guy I had winning the spot Alex Sancez was only hitting .207

Both have really good speed and would be the #8 hitter.

I'm thrilled! Anyone wanna take over/under bets on how many balls our CF will hit out of the infield this season? Over/under 7? I say under.

Alex44
03-19-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm thrilled! Anyone wanna take over/under bets on how many balls our CF will hit out of the infield this season? Over/under 7? I say under.

As long as the guy can play solid defense, get some singles and steal bases I'm fine.

Afterall how many balls do you remember Juan Pierre hitting out of the infield? :tongue:

Mainge
03-20-2007, 09:19 PM

As long as the guy can play solid defense, get some singles and steal bases I'm fine.

Afterall how many balls do you remember Juan Pierre hitting out of the infield? :tongue:

A great deal more than Sanchez and Reed! J. Pierre was a doubles/triples machine!

Besides, everything I read on Sanchez says his defense is bad. With Reed, we know the defense is there, but can he hit? And do you remember Reed trying to drop down a bunt last year? It was laughable.

When Willis and Mitre pitch, I'd honestly consider them batting 7th.

Alex44
03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
A great deal more than Sanchez and Reed! J. Pierre was a doubles/triples machine!

Besides, everything I read on Sanchez says his defense is bad. With Reed, we know the defense is there, but can he hit? And do you remember Reed trying to drop down a bunt last year? It was laughable.

When Willis and Mitre pitch, I'd honestly consider them batting 7th.

Reed isn't a bad player, he has potential. Last year he wasn't ready to be a big leaguer, and he will never be a star. As the #8 hitter you don't need to be a great hitter, most teams don't have a very good hitter at #8. As long as they can get singles and play defense they are doing their job. It's not a position we have a long term answer to but it's not a position that is going to kill us either. I'd be more worried about the bullpen and closer.

RWhitney014
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Reed isn't a bad player, he has potential. Last year he wasn't ready to be a big leaguer, and he will never be a star. As the #8 hitter you don't need to be a great hitter, most teams don't have a very good hitter at #8. As long as they can get singles and play defense they are doing their job. It's not a position we have a long term answer to but it's not a position that is going to kill us either. I'd be more worried about the bullpen and closer.

See, I disagree with that. For Reed to be a major leaguer, he needs to hit about .320, since his OBP and AVG are going to be nearly identical since he doesn't walk. His slugging percentage won't be much higher, either. I'd be shocked if, getting 500 ABs, he put up anything higher than a .650 OPS. He's a Rey Ordonez-level hitter, and though his glove is MLB-ready, it's not Torii Hunter's.

The pen has talent and guys that can throw gas. Someone will step up to close. It always happens.

Mainge
03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm ready to give Borchard a shot in CF. He's a decent hitter and has some pop. He just needs to cut down on his strikouts. And I don't know if he can handle Dophins Stadium everyday, defensively.

Mainge
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -The Arizona Diamondbacks acquired right-hander Yusmeiro Petit from the Florida Marlins for right-hander Jorge Julio and cash on Monday.

The 22-year-old Petit made his big league debut last year with Florida, going 1-1 with a 9.57 ERA in 15 games. He's been a starter throughout his minor league career.

The 28-year-old Julio went 2-4 with a 4.23 ERA in 62 appearances with the Diamondbacks and New York Mets last year. He was Arizona's closer for part of the season, recording 15 saves in 19 opportunities.

http://http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/03/26/2010.ap.bbn.diamondbacks.marlins.trade.0113/

Well put me on the WTF? Bandwagon. This guy has been bad over the last three years.

Ray Finkle
03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
http://http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/03/26/2010.ap.bbn.diamondbacks.marlins.trade.0113/

Well put me on the WTF? Bandwagon. This guy has been bad over the last three years.

Agreed. This is a bad move as Julio is a poor man's Benitez. If I were the Marlins I'd rather give Tankersly, Owens or Gregg the job for them to lose.

Mainge
03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Agreed. This is a bad move as Julio is a poor man's Benitez. If I were the Marlins I'd rather give Tankersly, Owens or Gregg the job for them to lose.

Yeah, especially Lindstrom or Owens. They've been impressive.

Alex44
03-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Odd deal. I'm not going to say I hate it though. He is a power pitcher, and we have a big ballpark where he shouldnt have to many balls knocked out and that will help him. It could end up a great deal or a horrible one. Who knows.

Just let everything play out.

ChambersWI
03-27-2007, 04:16 PM

last I checked, Tank was still hurt. I'm not shocked we got rid of Petit since he fell way down in terms of our pitchers. Plus, Beinfest has been trying to get Julio for the last 3 years.

Oh BTW, Chris Volstad,Brett Sinkbiel, and Sean West were named to baseball america's top 100 prospects list.

UCFinfan86
03-27-2007, 05:49 PM
not that i belive Florida is that bad, but here is a paragraph from gammons latest blog. I believe Gammons is the most knowledgeable baseball anaylsts at ESPN

It was an interesting chat, because touring spring training camps in Florida and Arizona, the most striking generalization is that every team is flawed. But in a non-salary cap sport, there may be only four of the 30 teams with little hope to finish .500: Washington, Tampa Bay, Florida (growing) and Kansas City. And even those teams have hope. The Devil Rays' have a roster stocked with NFL-caliber athletes, the Marlins are on the rise and the Royals are much improved.

DeathStar
03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Marlins name De Aza starting center fielder

The Marlins decided to take a gamble on a rookie, naming Alejandro De Aza as the team's Opening Day center fielder Wednesday.

De Aza, 22, came to spring training as an afterthought and will leave a starter, beating out Eric Reed and Alex Sanchez to become the biggest surprise of the spring.
[/URL]

De Aza will be making the jump from Double-A, where he played in 69 games last year, hitting .278. He missed more than two months with a wrist injury.

De Aza hit .351 this spring, with 13 hits in 37 at-bats.

Sanchez came into camp as the favorite, since he had four years of Major League experience. But the 30-year-old hit .163 in the spring.

[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-marcf032807,0,2593642.story?coll=sfla-sports-front (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/trb.sunsentinel/sports;tk=11382;tk=11587;ptype=s;slug=sfl-marcf032807;rg=ur;ref=sun-sentinelcom;sz=300x250;tile=3;ord=58246242?)

our new center fielder.

trate121hb
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
i hope gaby hernandez gets called up....dude went to belen jesuit my highschool......he's gonna be a good pitcher for us...like the julio trade

Alex44
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Marlins name De Aza starting center fielder

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-marcf032807,0,2593642.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

our new center fielder.

I hope he can play well. I mean he won the job and thats all you can ask for. Of course there wasn't great competition but thats besides the point. He seems to have some pop in his bat 4 of his 13 hits were doubles and 1 was a triple. I haven't actually seen him play so I can't say anything, but hopefully he will be a nice surprise for us this season.

Mainge
03-28-2007, 10:14 PM
:cpatch: :party: :dance: :drinkers: Hurray for De Aza!:cpatch: :party: :dance: :drinkers:

So, who the hell is De Aza?:confused:

Skeet84
03-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Hope all is well in Marlin Land! I hope we can match and even improve from last year.

verseau
03-29-2007, 02:27 PM
How 'bout them marlins !!?

Alex44
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
:cpatch: :party: :dance: :drinkers: Hurray for De Aza!:cpatch: :party: :dance: :drinkers:

So, who the hell is De Aza?:confused:

A 22 year old kid from the Dominican. He played 69 (I think?) games in Double A last year and played pretty decent but not amazing enough to make anyone think he would be a starter anytime soon. He lit it up this spring though and has potential it seems, I've never seen him play so I can't really say, but from his stats it looks like his bat has some pop (4 of his 13 hits were doubles, and 1 triple) and speed (4 stolen bases) he batted .353 I think and outplayed the other two guys and won the job.

I like the way (manager) Gonzales said it 'If we are counting on him to win games we are doing something wrong' 'we just want him to go out there and play his game then'

He will bat 8th, and seems like a boom or bust type player IMO. Let's hope he goes boom.

Mainge
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
A 22 year old kid from the Dominican. He played 69 (I think?) games in Double A last year and played pretty decent but not amazing enough to make anyone think he would be a starter anytime soon. He lit it up this spring though and has potential it seems, I've never seen him play so I can't really say, but from his stats it looks like his bat has some pop (4 of his 13 hits were doubles, and 1 triple) and speed (4 stolen bases) he batted .353 I think and outplayed the other two guys and won the job.

I like the way (manager) Gonzales said it 'If we are counting on him to win games we are doing something wrong' 'we just want him to go out there and play his game then'

He will bat 8th, and seems like a boom or bust type player IMO. Let's hope he goes boom.

Yeah, I know. I was just being a smart *** about it. Who really thought De Aza would win the starting job?

Alex44
03-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I know. I was just being a smart *** about it. Who really thought De Aza would win the starting job?

Yeah seriously. Even he didn't think he had a chance at it. I guess it shouldn't be to surprising though when you look at who the competition was.

Dubfire
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
SO far so good.

1-0 and we are stinging the ball.

I took this entire week off for this as I customarily do (Final Four, Baseball opening day, and The Masters).

Hanley is 2 for 2 so far. Let's see if Miggy gets something to hit this time.

Dubfire
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
3-0

Hanley is 2-2 with 2 SB's.:woot:

nick1
04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
going to be a great year

Prime Time
04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
What a monster Homerun by Miggy!!! Upper deck. Cabrera has gotten HUGEEEEEEEEE

Dubfire
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah Miggy just put one into orbit.

Lemme know when it lands. LOL.

6-0 marlins.

Fresh
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Very impressive opening day.

Dontrelle did his thing, giving up 2 runs.. Cabrera 3-3 and a 2 shot homer.. Uggla stepped up to the plate at 0-3, and nailed one into the upper deck.. Hanley was smoking 4-5.. hey, and that De Aza kid looks pretty good.

Let's see if we can keep it up. I'd like to sweep Washington.

Who's pitching tomorrow, Dirty Sanchez?

BAMAPHIN 22
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Very impressive opening day.

Dontrelle did his thing, giving up 2 runs.. Cabrera 3-3 and a 2 shot homer.. Uggla stepped up to the plate at 0-3, and nailed one into the upper deck.. Hanley was smoking 4-5.. hey, and that De Aza kid looks pretty good.

Let's see if we can keep it up. I'd like to sweep Washington.

Who's pitching tomorrow, Dirty Sanchez?

Marlins 9, Nationals 2

t's safe to say Florida's Fredi Gonzalez enjoyed his first game as a big league skipper far more than Washington's Manny Acta did.

Miguel Cabrera (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7163) homered into the upper deck and drove in four runs, and Hanley Ramirez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7488) collected four hits to back Dontrelle Willis (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7133) and lead the Marlins over the Nationals 9-2 Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270402120

ChambersWI
04-02-2007, 04:21 PM
if HanRam gets on base, th offense is tough.

IE, even in a in, I hate seeing Messenger pitch

Dubfire
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
if HanRam gets on base, th offense is tough.

IE, even in a in, I hate seeing Messenger pitch

I hear you. I still have nightmares from last season and because of him I had to call Directv and order 2 new remotes!:lol:

But he threw strikes today and now with Julio (as long as he settles down) closing, I think the BP shapes up a lot better than last year.

Get Up And Go
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Good start to the season. :rawk:

King Felix
04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
miguel cabrera! money for my fantasy team!!

nick1
04-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I need someone on my fantasy team who can steal bases, too bad I don't have Hanley Ramiez LOL

Alex44
04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Great game all around.

De Aza played well, he didn't really get tested in center though. He also made a good play getting to third on that ball in the dirt.

Scott Olsen starts tomorrow, against.....I don't know who is going for them. Really it doesn't matter, we could go with a 7 man rotation and have 7 guys better than their #1.

Fresh
04-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Scott Olsen vs. Shawn Hill, then Dirty Sanchez vs. Matt Chico.

Should be 3-0 when we come home for the Phillies.

ChambersWI
04-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I hear you. I still have nightmares from last season and because of him I had to call Directv and order 2 new remotes!:lol:

But he threw strikes today and now with Julio (as long as he settles down) closing, I think the BP shapes up a lot better than last year.

I'd much rather have Tank closing when he comes back. Julio could be a dominant closer, but I think he's better utilized as a set-up man. Of course, Tank might not be ready to close full time either.

nick1
04-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Scott Olsen is awesome, this guy is going to be a star. I remember his MLB debut, he pitched some nasty stuff and got the win as I recall.

miamikid92
04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
good game fish! lets keep it up, sweep em!

Mike13
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
What was teh score?

nick1
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
What was teh score?

we smoked them 9-2, Cabera hit a monster 2-run HR and Hanley Rameiz hit 4 out of 5 and stole 2 bases

Prime Time
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Scott Olsen vs. Shawn Hill, then Dirty Sanchez vs. Matt Chico.

Should be 3-0 when we come home for the Phillies.

Should is the key word...as you pointed out. Marlins just have to keep on performing. Cabrera better hit out at least another HR ;)

nick1
04-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Should is the key word...as you pointed out. Marlins just have to keep on performing. Cabrera better hit out at least another HR ;)

in that park I don't see how he wouldn't hit another HR. it's considerably smaller than Dolphins Stadium

Dubfire
04-03-2007, 12:00 PM
We should sweep this team. They really stink and are a far cry from last year.

Alex44
04-03-2007, 02:45 PM
One thing you have to love is the run support Willis got. Last year we didn't hit for him at all.

Look at opening day last year. Willis lost 1-0 and this year he wins 9-2. Great start to the season.

Olsen pitches tonight and IMO he has the most nasty stuff on the staff.

Vertical Limit
04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Scott Olsen did great today. He struggled just now and is being sat down, but that guy plays with a huge chip on his shoulder and a ton of fire.

Nice to see Dontrelle Willis reaching to Scott Olsen and calming him down. Scott was really mad about his last inning.

Alex44
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
9-3 :woot:

I really like De Aza. He gets a nice jump on the ball and really knows how to play the game. Hopefully he can keep getting better for us.

Anibal pitches tomorrow and we really should sweep Washington with the edge we have in pitching. Philli will be our first real test as a team IMO.

Mainge
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Great start to the season! Though, I'm only catously optimistic because it's Washington.

Cabrera is a beast. Pitching is good. De Aza is putting the ball in play.

Can't wait for Philly.

BAMAPHIN 22
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Marlins 9, Nationals 3

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Scott Olsen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7585) was as good at the plate as he was on the mound.

Olsen had a double, a single and an RBI, all while taking a two-hit shutout into the sixth inning Tuesday night and helping the Florida Marlins (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=fla) beat the Washington Nationals (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=was) 9-3 to improve to 2-0 for only the second time in their 15 seasons.

At least the Nationals can take solace from this: No one got hurt.

Before the game, Washington put two starters on the 15-day disabled list because they were injured during Monday's 9-2 loss to Florida -- center fielder Nook Logan (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7384) (left foot) and shortstop Cristian Guzman (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6186) (left hamstring).

So Washington called up Kory Casto, who never had played above Double-A, and started him in the outfield in his first major league game. Josh Wilson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7663) started at shortstop -- his first big league action since appearing in 11 games with Florida in 2005 -- and made one of the Nationals' two errors.

For five scoreless innings, Olsen (1-0) looked much better than he did during spring training, when he was 1-4 with a 4.63 ERA, or the last time games that counted, when he went 0-3 with a 4.03 ERA in his final five starts of 2006.

He wound up lasting 5 1-3 innings Tuesday, charged with two runs, two hits and five walks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270403120

Vertical Limit
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Cabrera needs to get in shape soon. I know he's playing well, but come on Miggy.

phinphan896
04-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Cabrera needs to get in shape soon. I know he's playing well, but come on Miggy.
miggy got huge, and i dont just mean fat wise.

Prime Time
04-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Yeah Miguel is big as ****. I said it on Opening Day....he looks like a Spanish Bonds out there...

nick1
04-04-2007, 08:27 AM
either Washington is that bad or we are that good. maybe a combination of both

PhinzN703
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
either Washington is that bad or we are that good. maybe a combination of both

The Nats are rebuilding man. It'll be a few years before they're a good team. Nats are starting from the ground up.

Florida is a good young team. I'd expect you guys to be around all year

nick1
04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
The Nats are rebuilding man. It'll be a few years before they're a good team. Nats are starting from the ground up.

Florida is a good young team. I'd expect you guys to be around all year

thanks for the kind words, it seems we win a world seris every 3 or 4 years. which would make the next one either next year or the following year :lol: if only we could find a good owner who will keep the team together, we could have a dynasty

trate121hb
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks for the kind words, it seems we win a world seris every 3 or 4 years. which would make the next one either next year or the following year :lol: if only we could find a good owner who will keep the team together, we could have a dynasty

THESE OWNERS AND LARRY BEINFEST HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB WITH THIS CLUB.....BLAME IT ON THEIR CRUMMY DEAL WITH HUIZENGA AND NOT HAVING ANY FANS THAT GO TO THE GAME.....

trate121hb
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
If We Didnt Have Them As Owners We'd Be The Nationals...its Incredible How Much Talent We've Gotten With The Deals We've Done.....only Thing Is You Dont Know These Names Until 1-2 Years Later....anyone Have The Trades We've Done The Last 3 Years??? That Would Be Nice To Look At

greatwade
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
THESE OWNERS AND LARRY BEINFEST HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB WITH THIS CLUB.....BLAME IT ON THEIR CRUMMY DEAL WITH HUIZENGA AND NOT HAVING ANY FANS THAT GO TO THE GAME.....

or the rain, I like to BLAME IT ON THE RAIN, yeah yeah.

seriously, excellent team. Pitching, hitting, & defense is STOUT.
The relief pitching is a bit scary, but that's the breaks.

Soooooo pissed my boss didn't renew his awesome seats.

nick1
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
I just assumed that the owners were being cheap and not paying up to keep good players. I guess they do need fans to show up in order to make that kind of money but here's the thing. when the team is doing well, fans show up. the owners keep pissing off the fans by getting rid of all of the good players and then the team has a couple of bad years so nobody shows up.

if I were the owner, I'd get a new stadium. than wait a year or two when the team is good and than keep that team together. the fans show up in large numbers when the team is good. just look at the Dolphins this past year, everybody showed up early when there was potential for a good year. but then when the team went down hill, nobody showed up

PhinzN703
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM

Win all the games you want, just get your own stadium so the Phins don't have to worry about playing on dirt all year :wink:

nick1
04-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Win all the games you want, just get your own stadium so the Phins don't have to worry about playing on dirt all year :wink:

thats a bad excuse, I'm sorry but thats no reason to be missing FGs or losing games. they only play 2 or 3 games with the dirt anyway. I'm as big of a Dolphin fan as anyone but thats a bad excuse

PhinzN703
04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
thats a bad excuse, I'm sorry but thats no reason to be missing FGs or losing games. they only play 2 or 3 games with the dirt anyway. I'm as big of a Dolphin fan as anyone but thats a bad excuse

I never said anything about FGs or losing games. I dont like the dirt b/c it might cause more injuries. No excuses about FGs or losing games

FinSinceBirth
04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I felt they should should have pulled Sanchez in the 6th after he gave up the two singles. You could see he was done, and if they had taken him out that home run wouldn't have happened. Altho I still don't think we'll lose this game.

PhinzN703
04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
So much for the sweep. Julio's on my fantasy team and he screws me out of a save. 2-1 isnt bad to start the year.

Good luck fellas

Alex44
04-04-2007, 04:47 PM
If Julio falls off the face of the Earth we would be oh so lucky.

2-1 isn't a bad way to start the year, but it SHOULD have been 3-0. We should have pulled Julio and stuck in Nolasco with the bases loaded, his arm was ready and it was obvious Julio wasn't going to get the job done.

Mainge
04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I hated the trade at the time and I hate it more now.

Someone please explain to me, with the bases loaded, how the hell do you reach back and try to throw 500mph and almost throw away TWO baseballs?? BASES LOADED, JULIO! TIE GAME!!!!

nick1
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
the relief pitching did well, the closer screwed it all up.

Mainge
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Phillies and Marlins tomorrow.

I hope we bring the bats. I think Mitre's going to get rocked.

Dubfire
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I just hate to lose games like that. Brings back last season way too damn fast for me.

I dont need to go through that again. We were blowing games like that 2-3 times a week the first month or so. Girardi would drive me nuts with his indecisiveness at times. It's a ***** on remote controls!!:lol:

Mainge
04-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I just hate to lose games like that. Brings back last season way too damn fast for me.

I dont need to go through that again. We were blowing games like that 2-3 times a week the first month or so. Girardi would drive me nuts with his indecisiveness at times. It's a ***** on remote controls!!:lol:

Yeah man. Just heart-breaking.

Hopefully Julio's on a short leash.

Get Up And Go
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah man. Just heart-breaking.

Hopefully Julio's on a short leash.

For being third game, It hurt a lot. :tantrum:

Dubfire
04-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Julio just needs to settle down. If you throw it 500mph and miss the plate by 40 feet, it does you no good.

Alex44
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Philli is 0-3 so they will be hungry for a win. Mitre needs to bring his A game because I think it could be a tough night for him.

Julio gets a couple games to make up for the last one, I don't want to judge him to early or anything.

Get Up And Go
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Philli is 0-3 so they will be hungry for a win. Mitre needs to bring his A game because I think it could be a tough night for him.

Julio gets a couple games to make up for the last one, I don't want to judge him to early or anything.

I would've of been nice if they took him out though.

Dubfire
04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Mitre has already given up 3 runs.

They refuse to pitch to Howard and Burrell is making us pay.

Alex44
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Mitre didn't really pitch badly. He only really made two bad pitches, the hard part to take is that those pitches came after errors.

Get Up And Go
04-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Mitre has already given up 3 runs.

They refuse to pitch to Howard and Burrell is making us pay.

Then when we payed when we pitched to them.:shakeno:

Mainge
04-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Mitre didn't really pitch badly. He only really made two bad pitches, the hard part to take is that those pitches came after errors.

I agree. Almost like he lost focus and couldn't move past the errors.

I was encouraged by Mitre and Jacobs, though. Mitre had good stuff and Jake is raking the lefties (and righties) and is begnning to prove himself to be the 1st-baseman of the future.

I'm also pleased with De Aza. He's making consistent contact and putting the ball in play, which is a far cry better than Reggie and Reed. And his defense has been great, thus far.

WoodStrock81
04-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Interesting game tomorrow:

Phillies send ace Brett Myers to face the Marlins ace Dontrelle Willis. Both are coming off pretty solid pitching performances. If the Phillies can win this game (because on sunday it's some guy who's never even pitched starting for the Phils) and leave Florida at a minimum of 2-4, thats a little bit of a relief, although we have to go to New York and face the AMAZING'S!

phinphan896
04-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Jorge Julio = Garbage

Alex44
04-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Game wasn't on TV so I listened in on radio. I tuned in just in time to hear Rollins get a three run inside the park HR.

Anyway it's a good win. Henry Owens should be the closer based on the first five games this season.

Mainge
04-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Game wasn't on TV so I listened in on radio. I tuned in just in time to hear Rollins get a three run inside the park HR.

Anyway it's a good win. Henry Owens should be the closer based on the first five games this season.

And all of spring training.

It kills me that Owens, Lindstrom, Gardener, and Messenger all work hard and have great springs, and Julio comes in and gets HANDED the closer job.

Vertical Limit
04-07-2007, 11:57 PM
That inside the parker was the most stressful highlight on Sports Center. I am glad we won the game, but wow, come the **** on.

Ray Finkle
04-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Julio isn't going to last long in FL, or anywhere else. I was very surprised when FL traded for him in the first place when some of their youngsters were throwing well in ST. I still think Tank will end up as closer before the year is over.

Mainge
04-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Julio isn't going to last long in FL, or anywhere else. I was very surprised when FL traded for him in the first place when some of their youngsters were throwing well in ST. I still think Tank will end up as closer before the year is over.

Meh. I dont know. Bienfest is in love with the guy.

PressCoverage
04-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Question:

In a 12-team rotisserie league, would you be "ok" with Olivo as your catcher? I guess, to put it another way, is Olivo a top-12 hitting catcher?

Alex44
04-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Question:

In a 12-team rotisserie league, would you be "ok" with Olivo as your catcher? I guess, to put it another way, is Olivo a top-12 hitting catcher?

Honestly I don't know.

He hit well about half of last year and really wore down towards the end. He should get you a few home runs and some doubles. He has great speed for a catcher also...not like it means much I guess.

Anyway I would look for some other options, but if there were no real guys you know will hit well I would definitely feel okay with him.

Alex44
04-08-2007, 03:14 AM

I love this quote from Willingham for some odd reason.

On his chance to hit for the cycle in the 7th (he struck out)

"I did not know that. If I had known that, I would have done it," Willingham quipped

Oh and one last thing. I love De Aza. He misplayed a line drive tonight (the Rollins inside the park HR) but it was a case of being over aggressive and trying to make a play. I'll take that over playing scared any night of the week. He has had some really good at bats too. I'm not only talking about the hits, a lot of the outs he made were still good AB's. On defense with the ground he can cover it's hard not to think of Juan Pierre.....with a better arm. If he continues to develope and grow as a player he could be a long term solution out there. If not he can at least hold his own untill we get someone.

In a perfect world next year I would love this lineup (assuming no new big time signings)

1) De Aza
2) Hanley
3) Cabrera
4) Jacobs/Willingham (lefty/righty matchups)
5) Willingham/Jacobs
6) Uggla
7) Hermida
8) Olivo

Thats of course a best case scenario where De Aza truely becomes a key part of this team. As much as I love Hanley leading off he has the pop in his bat to put up better numbers as a #2 or even #3 hitter.

Ray Finkle
04-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Question:

No, he's probably the 14th or 15th hitting catcher.

Mauer, Martinez, McCann, Ramon Hernandez, Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, Mike Piazza, Kenji Johjima, Pierzynski, Barrett, Russell Martin, Paul Lo Duca I think are all better choices (some more obvious than others). But I'd probably pick Bengie Molina and Johnny Estrada over Olivo.

ChambersWI
04-08-2007, 04:24 PM
after watching the game today, I don't understand why we traded Petit for Julio. Petit wsa going to be traded eventually, but we could've gotten someone a lot less...wild.

No matter what team I see Julio play for I have the same opinion; if he's going to get a major role from the BP he needs to be a set-up man, or a specialist. Gardner really saved Julio today.

Tank can not come back soon enough.

DeathStar
04-08-2007, 04:28 PM
julio ****ing sucks.

that is all.

Dubfire
04-08-2007, 05:07 PM
:yeahthat:

Fresh
04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
4-2.

Alex44
04-08-2007, 06:30 PM
No, he's probably the 14th or 15th hitting catcher.

Mauer, Martinez, McCann, Ramon Hernandez, Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, Mike Piazza, Kenji Johjima, Pierzynski, Barrett, Russell Martin, Paul Lo Duca I think are all better choices (some more obvious than others). But I'd probably pick Bengie Molina and Johnny Estrada over Olivo.

I don't agree with those two.

And you named 11 others :tongue: which if those are the only ones, makes him #12

Anyway Julio really gets into trouble, he has great stuff but he can't find the plate. To his credit the Howard hit wasn't really his fault, if the outfield is playing normal depth it's a routine out. De Aza was way to far back to have a chance on it.

I think even Tommy Hutton doesn't like Julio, anyone else hear the way he said 'Thats what happens when you throw strikes!' and then later he talked about Julio getting his role changed if he continues to struggle.

Oh good news on Hanely. Seems like he will miss one game at most.

"I'm going to give [Ramirez] one day," Gonzalez said. "He chased me all the way to the office, he wants to play tomorrow. Again, it's the seventh game of the season. We'll see tomorrow. We'll let our medical people take care of that."

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070408&content_id=1886446&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

Retnuhrace
04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Lee Gardner for closer! :lol:

BAMAPHIN 22
04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/phillies_65-1.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/phillies/)4 (1-5) http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/marlins_65-1.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/marlins/)6 (4-2)

WP: S. Olsen (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/7585/) (2-0)

LP: Z. Segovia (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/8004/) (0-1)

SP: L. Gardner (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6934/) (1)

MIAMI (AP) -The seventh inning summed up the Philadelphia Phillies (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/phillies/index.html) ' futility: They walked four times and scored only one run.

Eleven bases on balls weren't enough to jump-start the struggling Phils, who stranded 14 runners and lost to the Florida Marlins (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/marlins/index.html) 6-4 Sunday.
Touted as title contenders in the NL East, the Phillies are 1-5 for the third time in four seasons and the second year in a row.

''It's a concern. You can't say that it's not,'' said third baseman Wes Helms (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6080/index.html) , a newcomer. ''It is only six games, but if you go 1-5 in the middle of the season, you don't look at it as much as when you are 1-5 at the beginning. We want to correct this quick. We don't want to get so far down that we have to climb and climb.''

The feeble Phillies went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position, dropping their season average in those situations to .200.

Their final squandered opportunity came in the ninth. New Florida closer Jorge Julio (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6709/index.html) struggled for the third appearance in a row, loading the bases with one out. Lee Gardner (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6934/index.html) came on to earn his first career save by retiring Carlos Ruiz (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/7757/index.html) on a foul popup and striking out Michael Bourn (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/7828/index.html) looking.

''We couldn't get a big hit,'' Phils manager Charlie Manuel (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/40774/index.html) said. ''We will get them. When? That's the big question. We will get them. It's just a matter of time before we get them.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/recaps/2007/04/08/16740_recap.html

ChambersWI
04-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't agree with those two.

And you named 11 others :tongue: which if those are the only ones, makes him #12

Anyway Julio really gets into trouble, he has great stuff but he can't find the plate. To his credit the Howard hit wasn't really his fault, if the outfield is playing normal depth it's a routine out. De Aza was way to far back to have a chance on it.

I think even Tommy Hutton doesn't like Julio, anyone else hear the way he said 'Thats what happens when you throw strikes!' and then later he talked about Julio getting his role changed if he continues to struggle.

Oh good news on Hanely. Seems like he will miss one game at most.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070408&content_id=1886446&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

When the trade was made I thought it was to A)Get a guy who has closed before to fill in while Tank is hurt B)Be a set up man and C)Because Beinfest has tried trading for him every year since 2004. I'm shocked that he was even getting consideration to be our every day closer.

Pinto might get demoted when Tank is healthy. I like him, but his confidence isn't there right now, and he really struggled. Got to give props to Messenger today for getting out of Pinto's mess.

We're really lucky that the Phils line-up, despite what so many people might say, really isn't that good. As a guy who has the (mis)fortune of watching them on a consistent basis, Rollins and Utley are the only two guys that consistently get on base, and Howard/Utley are the only two that produce RBIs. The fact that they consider Wes Helms (a guy whose made a career of being a bench player) and Rod Barajas (a guy that the Texans have been begging to get DFA's for three years, and Blue Jay fans are happy they didn't sign) upgrades over what they had tells you how bad their line-up has been.

nick1
04-08-2007, 10:03 PM
the team looks good, especially the hitting

Mainge
04-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Julio's a bum. How can you confidently give him the 9th?

Kudos to Messy and Gardener for cleaning up those bases-loaded mess's.

Alex44
04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
When the trade was made I thought it was to A)Get a guy who has closed before to fill in while Tank is hurt B)Be a set up man and C)Because Beinfest has tried trading for him every year since 2004. I'm shocked that he was even getting consideration to be our every day closer.

Pinto might get demoted when Tank is healthy. I like him, but his confidence isn't there right now, and he really struggled. Got to give props to Messenger today for getting out of Pinto's mess.

We're really lucky that the Phils line-up, despite what so many people might say, really isn't that good. As a guy who has the (mis)fortune of watching them on a consistent basis, Rollins and Utley are the only two guys that consistently get on base, and Howard/Utley are the only two that produce RBIs. The fact that they consider Wes Helms (a guy whose made a career of being a bench player) and Rod Barajas (a guy that the Texans have been begging to get DFA's for three years, and Blue Jay fans are happy they didn't sign) upgrades over what they had tells you how bad their line-up has been.

I agree with that. I mean they are solid but very overrated.

Utley and Howard and both very good/great hitters but will they put up numbers like last year again? Rollins is pretty solid also but not spectacular. They won't play great defense, and after Howard the team is a bunch of guys who are either unproven or proven to be average players.

I like Wes Helms though, he is at least a solid everyday player. Again though average.

I'd love to see Owens get a shot to be the closer. I like Tank but something about a left handed closer just spooks me. Dont ask why.

ChambersWI
04-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I agree with that. I mean they are solid but very overrated.

Utley and Howard and both very good/great hitters but will they put up numbers like last year again? Rollins is pretty solid also but not spectacular. They won't play great defense, and after Howard the team is a bunch of guys who are either unproven or proven to be average players.

I like Wes Helms though, he is at least a solid everyday player. Again though average.

I'd love to see Owens get a shot to be the closer. I like Tank but something about a left handed closer just spooks me. Dont ask why.

JRol is overhyped because of the hit streak he had. If you loo at his numbers, they are not very impressive. And the defense is horrible. Helms is a nice player, but you want your thirdbasemen to either produce RBIs, play great defense, or both. Helms is none of that.

Oh and nothing wrong with being scared of a lefty closer. Unless you've got serious heat ala Billy Wagner, lefties are better suited in other roles. Pero I think Tank will be a great closer.

In other news, Ricky Nolasco was placed on the 15 day DL with a sore shoulder and Rick Vanduren was called up from Double A to start against the Brew Crew in RiNo's place. Emergency start, but I'd have rather seen us recall someone who was more ready.

I also heard a rumor that the team is considering calling up Brett Sinkbiel and making him the closer. He'd be an interesting choice/

Mainge
04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
JRol is overhyped because of the hit streak he had. If you loo at his numbers, they are not very impressive. And the defense is horrible. Helms is a nice player, but you want your thirdbasemen to either produce RBIs, play great defense, or both. Helms is none of that.

Oh and nothing wrong with being scared of a lefty closer. Unless you've got serious heat ala Billy Wagner, lefties are better suited in other roles. Pero I think Tank will be a great closer.

In other news, Ricky Nolasco was placed on the 15 day DL with a sore shoulder and Rick Vanduren was called up from Double A to start against the Brew Crew in RiNo's place. Emergency start, but I'd have rather seen us recall someone who was more ready.

I also heard a rumor that the team is considering calling up Brett Sinkbiel and making him the closer. He'd be an interesting choice/

Rick Vandenhurk. :wink:

No thanks to Brett Sinkbiel. He has far more value as a starter than a closer, IMO. And he's pretty green. He hasn't even pitched in pro baseball for a year.

I think a number of our 'pen arms would excel in a closer role. Gardener, Owens, Lindstrom, or even Gregg.

Fresh
04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Alejandro De Aza.. that is now a hit in all 7 games so far.

Keep it up!

shanem40
04-09-2007, 09:51 PM
another win 5-3....we are 5-2 great start

Mike13
04-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Lets keep up the *** kicking.

Alex44
04-09-2007, 11:14 PM
another win 5-3....we are 5-2 great start

If Julio didn't suck so bad we would be 6-1 though.

Anyway Tank could be a good closer, but I like him even more as a setup man or a guy to get tough lefties out in tough spots. Out of all the active guys I like Owens as the closer because he has good stuff and is mentally tough.

De Aza :yes: 7 game hit streak to start his career, and none of them were cheap. Stupid ball had to bounce over the wall though, with his speed thats most likely a triple if it stays in the yard.

Last things :lol: this pic pretty much sums up Julio

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/images/2007/03/29/yDrCutXt.jpg

Prime Time
04-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Yep...De Aza has started out quite nicely...

nick1
04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
the hitting is amazing, we have scored at least 5 runs every game pretty much

Get Up And Go
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Anybody ever sit in the Fish Tank? I'll probably sit there for the Mets series.

Alex44
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Anybody ever sit in the Fish Tank? I'll probably sit there for the Mets series.

Never. I always sit in dead center for some reason or on occasion near the first base foul line. I sat behind home plate once and hated it.

The reason I always sit in dead center is because when Preston Wilson played for us he would always throw be balls between innings, and he was my favorite player so it was a great experience. I wish I could go to more games now but no-one has a schedule where they can take me, and I'm the only baseball fan in my house anyway so no-one is interested in taking me either.

Anyway Vanden Hurk makes his major league debut tonight, personally I was hoping we would call up Voldstad (I think thats how it's spelled) but it should be fun to see what this kid has. I'm not happy with Nolasco as the 5th starter I really think we can do better, and I'm not sold on Mitre as the 5th starter when Johnson comes back either. So it would be great if he could step up and pitch well for us.

Mainge
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Never. I always sit in dead center for some reason or on occasion near the first base foul line. I sat behind home plate once and hated it.

The reason I always sit in dead center is because when Preston Wilson played for us he would always throw be balls between innings, and he was my favorite player so it was a great experience. I wish I could go to more games now but no-one has a schedule where they can take me, and I'm the only baseball fan in my house anyway so no-one is interested in taking me either.

Anyway Vanden Hurk makes his major league debut tonight, personally I was hoping we would call up Voldstad (I think thats how it's spelled) but it should be fun to see what this kid has. I'm not happy with Nolasco as the 5th starter I really think we can do better, and I'm not sold on Mitre as the 5th starter when Johnson comes back either. So it would be great if he could step up and pitch well for us.

I think Volstad would have been a mstake, IMO. Still too green.

To be honest, if Rick can keep the Brewers at 5 runs and go 5 innings, it would be a successful start, IMO. Remember, he has yet to pitch above high A ball, and even then, it was only 25 innings.

Interesting to see how his stuff compares to MLB hitters, this early in his development.

ChambersWI
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Vanden Hurk was not the first choice, pero he is the only one that hasn't had a start recently.

Something I was reading on another board in regard to Olsen and Sanchez. Both are still very raw. Everybody was projecting Olsen to be a full time starter this year but expected him to be demoted last year. Sandchez is still very raw, and everybody was projecting him in the rotation next year at the earliest.

Nolasco and Mitre will be traded at some point to make room for Volstad next year (or Nolasco will move to closer).

I definatly can not wait for Johnson to get back. He's the power pitcher our rotation needs right now.

Mainge
04-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Vanden Hurk was not the first choice, pero he is the only one that hasn't had a start recently.

Something I was reading on another board in regard to Olsen and Sanchez. Both are still very raw. Everybody was projecting Olsen to be a full time starter this year but expected him to be demoted last year. Sandchez is still very raw, and everybody was projecting him in the rotation next year at the earliest.

Nolasco and Mitre will be traded at some point to make room for Volstad next year (or Nolasco will move to closer).

I definatly can not wait for Johnson to get back. He's the power pitcher our rotation needs right now.

No way Volstad gets a rotation spot next year. He's just getting into High A ball. No need to rush him. Maybe he's a September call-up. But '09 or '10 is his time.

Alex44
04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
No way Volstad gets a rotation spot next year. He's just getting into High A ball. No need to rush him. Maybe he's a September call-up. But '09 or '10 is his time.

There has been talk of Volstad getting called up later this year to start if we need him. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the 5th spot next year and Nolasco and/or Mitre get traded.

It's a shame there is a rain delay, because as far as debuts go I don't think you could ask for any better.

Retnuhrace
04-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Uh oh... strap your seatbelts on tight because it's about to be...

JORGE JULIO TIME!!!!!!!!

Retnuhrace
04-10-2007, 11:09 PM
*sigh* ....................

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:10 PM
julio f****** sucks

WSE
04-10-2007, 11:16 PM
the turd blew another one

cut that fool already

Retnuhrace
04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
One of the few poor personell decisions that Beinfest and co. have made... trading a good young arm who showed potential in Yusmero Petit for Julio...

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
this would be reallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy bad loss

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
I gave Julio time to prove he was a good player to have, when we first traded for him I really thought he could be good for us. Well I was wrong, and I'm admitting that right now.

I'm almost glad we didn't score in the bottom of the 9th, Julio doesn't deserve the win for pitching that poorly AGAIN.

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
One of the few poor personell decisions that Beinfest and co. have made... trading a good young arm who showed potential in Yusmero Petit for Julio...
we needed a closer and we have alot of good young arms nobodythought he would pitch this bad

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:27 PM
we needed a closer and we have alot of good young arms nobodythought he would pitch this bad

Actually a few people here thought it was a horrible move. I said he might be able to turn it around and I was wrong. It doesn't really matter though, we traded trash for trash and got some cash. Well that wasn't supposed to rhyme but it did....

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
they need to get this in no matter what

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:33 PM
they need to get this in no matter what

It should be over already....Julio messed it up again. He hasn't had one good appearance yet. If they stop it the game will be resumed tomorrow in the top of the 11th because of that new rule the announcers were talking about.

It's going to stop raining there I think....I'm not far from the stadium and it just stopped raining here. They might just call it off for tonight though.

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:35 PM
It should be over already....Julio messed it up again. He hasn't had one good appearance yet. If they stop it the game will be resumed tomorrow in the top of the 11th because of that new rule the announcers were talking about.

It's going to stop raining there I think....I'm not far from the stadium and it just stopped raining here. They might just call it off for tonight though.they are so far into the the game they just need to scrap thorugh this one

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
they are so far into the the game they just need to scrap thorugh this one

I wish they would, it seems odd to start a game in the 11th the next day. You just hope no-one gets hurt though if they do continue on the bad field.

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
they cant have them play two or three innings tommrow then play another game

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:39 PM
well im willing to stick out this next rain delay

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
they cant have them play two or three innings tommrow then play another game

Well they would probably restart the first game at either one or four tomorrow. It wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to finish most likely unless it went on for a long long time. It's better than having to play the whole thing over I think, then we would have to make a bunch of roster moves to get a starting pitcher for tomorrow and have them fly in and pitch that day.

It's just a rain delay though, I hope we get to finish. If not I blame Julio.

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:43 PM
i dont know what these umps are doing make up your mind

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
i dont know what thses umps are doing make up your mind

I was thinking that.

First we come out onto the field and they send us back. Then they walk away. Then 5 minutes later they come back, leave again. A couple more minutes go by and they put the tarp back on. Crazy stuff, we better come out with the win.

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:51 PM
i cant have a heat marlins and heat loss on the same night

Mike13
04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Its still raining over here.

So much for this dry season bull****.

Alex44
04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Its still raining over here.

So much for this dry season bull****.

It just stopped for the most part here. I'm about....15 minutes from the stadium. It's been raining here right before it gets there every time, so it should stop there soon.

shanem40
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
It just stopped for the most part here. I'm about....15 minutes from the stadium. It's been raining here right before it gets there every time, so it should stop there soon. im looking at the radar and i dont thin its going to stop
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/map/interactive/33073?from=36hour_map_large&zoom=7&interactiveMapLayer=radar

Alex44
04-11-2007, 12:01 AM
im looking at the radar and i dont thin its going to stop
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/map/interactive/33073?from=36hour_map_large&zoom=7&interactiveMapLayer=radar

It won't stop for long but it will for a little bit, just like it has all night. They might get another inning or two in if they hurry...then it will pour again.

EDIT: Well they called the game, will resume tomorrow.

Dubfire
04-11-2007, 05:56 AM
The Jorge Julio experiment must end now.

He needs to get sent to the minors for a week or so to get his confidence back and we'll do with what we have.

He is awful right now.

nick1
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
man if Julio had just been able to close out that game it would have been over. but since it went to extra innings it was suspended. I looked at our salaries and he is one of just four Marlins to be making over a million dollars. So he needs to play better

Alex44
04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
The Jorge Julio experiment must end now.

He needs to get sent to the minors for a week or so to get his confidence back and we'll do with what we have.

He is awful right now.

If I'm someone who makes decisions I send Julio down to the minors to close games until he gets his stuff straight. On the plus side that was the first game he actually got three outs I think.

Anyway if we lose this game because of him I will be angry. We should already be 6-1 so if he loses us another game....wow.

Mainge
04-11-2007, 03:49 PM

I hate to be right on this, but I hated this move from the get go. He's getting 2.5 million from us to blow games. I swear, the Mermaids should shoot him with there T-shirt cannon.

There has been talk of Volstad getting called up later this year to start if we need him. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the 5th spot next year and Nolasco and/or Mitre get traded.

It's a shame there is a rain delay, because as far as debuts go I don't think you could ask for any better.

I definetly see him getting called up in September, but I still think it would be a mistake to give him a rotation spot without more seasoning in the minors. No need to rush a great prospect and hurt his development and confidence. Remember, he'd be a 5th starter. Ricky Nolasco and Sergio Mitre are among the best 5th starters in the NL. And are still young to boot! I'm sure we can live with them for a few more seasons.

Now, with that said, give Volstad this year in Jupiter. If his progress merits it, give him a call up. Then give him two months in AA Carolina. If he dominates, then give him his call-up.

(It's so awesome to say my brother played with Chris and Jarred Saltamachia in little league)

Great debut for Vanden Hurk A.K.A. The Dutch Destroyer.

Alex44
04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I hate to be right on this, but I hated this move from the get go. He's getting 2.5 million from us to blow games. I swear, the Mermaids should shoot him with there T-shirt cannon.

I definetly see him getting called up in September, but I still think it would be a mistake to give him a rotation spot without more seasoning in the minors. No need to rush a great prospect and hurt his development and confidence. Remember, he'd be a 5th starter. Ricky Nolasco and Sergio Mitre are among the best 5th starters in the NL. And are still young to boot! I'm sure we can live with them for a few more seasons.

Now, with that said, give Volstad this year in Jupiter. If his progress merits it, give him a call up. Then give him two months in AA Carolina. If he dominates, then give him his call-up.

(It's so awesome to say my brother played with Chris and Jarred Saltamachia in little league)

Great debut for Vanden Hurk A.K.A. The Dutch Destroyer.

I wouldn't give Volstad the spot, but if he can earn it next spring training I think he should get it. Most prospects like him get called up and become the #2 guy right away on a staff. He would be the #5 guy. That means more often than not he would be facing the other staffs 4 or 5 guy also. Thats a huge plus because you don't need to pitch quite as well.Thats what this franchise is all about, giving the spot to someone who deserves it.

Mitre looks bad *** with his hair this year :lol: if only he pitches as dominating as he looks.

Alex44
04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Good News.

It's been cloudy all day but the sun just peaked out and it could be a great night for baseball. Keep your fingers crossed.

Mainge
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't give Volstad the spot, but if he can earn it next spring training I think he should get it. Most prospects like him get called up and become the #2 guy right away on a staff. He would be the #5 guy. That means more often than not he would be facing the other staffs 4 or 5 guy also. Thats a huge plus because you don't need to pitch quite as well.Thats what this franchise is all about, giving the spot to someone who deserves it.

Mitre looks bad *** with his hair this year :lol: if only he pitches as dominating as he looks.

LMAO. I agree. Mitre's hair is awesome this year. And his stuff was very good.

shanem40
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
marlins loes first game tonight ..you thank julio for that one lets hope for game 3