PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2007 Boston Red Sox Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Official 2007 Boston Red Sox baseball thread!

Yes thank god it’s that time of the year. February is tomorrow which means pitchers and catchers report to Fort Myers, Florida on the 15th, while the whole team reports 20th. Baseball season is just around the corner so since it’s been quite an off season for the Sox so let’s break it down, a little.

Key New Players:

-Daisuke Matsuzaka RHP- possibly the best free agent pitcher on the market and possibly ever from Japan. Could be an ace in the making, will probably be the 3rd starter. Throws at least 6 pitches, with good control and location.

-J.D. Drew RF- Yes #7 will be playing RF for the Sox this year and yes #7 will probably be on the DL this year too. However when in the line up Drew is clearly an upgrade on Nixon in every aspect except maybe heart, which has been questioned. Drew will be the team’s #5 hitter hitting behind Ortiz and Manny so he could drive in over 100 RBIs.

-Julio Lugo SS- Seems like the Red Sox have had a new SS every year and this year is no different. Lugo will hit at the top of the order giving the Sox more speed and a good bat. Lugo has hit very well in Fenway in the past and hopefully his best friend Big Papi will be driving him in a lot this year. Expect over 100 runs scored. Defense is a question mainly because the Sox had Alex Gonzalez last year. Lugo is not Gonzalez with the glove (then again who is?) and Lugo is also not Gonzalez with the bat, which is a good thing.

-Joel Pineiro RHP, J.C. Romero LHP, Brendan Donnelly RHP, Hideki Okajima LHP- The pen was been terrible the past two years. The Sox have added Japanese lefty Okajima if nothing else to give Dice-K someone to talk to but his numbers in Japan are pretty good and he’s a lefty so what’s there to lose? J.C. Romero pitched bad last year but could it possibly be because of the WBC? We’ll see. If he’s on, he’s one of the better lefty relievers in the game, hopefully this year he’s on. Brendan Donnelly is a good pick up. The guy has been a horse in the pen for the Angels the past 4 or 5 years. His numbers have dropped a bit but that could possibly be due to him not pitching as much as he had in the past due to Scot Shields taking over his role. Look for Donnelly to be the main set up guy after Timlin coughs it up early this year. Joel Pineiro is a wild card. His rookie year he showed a lot of promise and then he just died. A move to the pen last year showed he could possibly be an asset. His contract has an option that kicks in if he saves 35 games or more so the closer’s role is his to lose. This move could turn out to be a good one.

Key losses:

-Trot Nixon- Yes the guy was always hurt but when he played he played hard. He’s the definition of dirtdog. He had been with the team the longest and obviously was positive in the clubhouse however he was never healthy the past three years and it was clearly time to move on. Thanks for the memories Trot, you’ll get your standing ‘O’ when Cleveland comes to town.

-Mark Loretta- This one could come back to haunt the Sox. The Sox passed up on Loretta and handed the job over to youngster Dustin Pedroia. The big question is is Dustin ready? Loretta would have come cheap for the Sox considering he signed with Houston as a utility player. I do wonder if letting Loretta walk was a mistake, especially considering the Sox could have had him back for one more year for minimum money.

-Alex Gonzalez- Only for his glove and the fact that Rocky Raccoon hated him.

-Keith Foulke- Not really a key loss because Keith didn’t really do much since being unstoppable in the 2004 playoffs. Again thanks for the memories Keith but not even 20 million a season would have gotten him to resign with Boston.

The Line Up:

Julio Lugo- SS
Kevin Youkilis- 1B
David Ortiz- DH
Manny Ramirez- LF
J.D. Drew- RF
Mike Lowell- 3B
Coco Crisp- CF
Jason Varitek- C
Dustin Pedroia- 2B

Bench:
Doug Mirabelli- C
Eric Hinkse- 1B/3B/Corner OF
Wily Mo Pena- OF/1B
Alex Cora- INF

Well we know what David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez are going to do so let’s skip them. Expect the same production from Kevin Youkilis, what you see is what you get from him. I expect Lowell to decline. I think Coco is going to have a good year, he started ST and the first week of the season RED hot but a finger injury that never healed killed his season. I except production similar to his 2005 season with Cleveland. Jason Varitek will bounce back as well. He hurt himself in the WBC and never recovered as well. He’s not as bad as he played last year. Pedroia is going to bring a good glove but his bat I’m on the fence with. I think he’ll be an Adam Kennedy type hitter which is fine in this line up as long as he plays excellent D. Wily Mo is going to get 400 at bats between all 3 outfield positions and possibly 1st base. He’s still very raw and a work in progress but if his bat happens to hit the ball watch out.

The Pitching Staff:

Rotation:
Curt Schilling
Josh Beckett
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Jonathan Papelbon
Tim Wakefield
Jon Lester (6th starter- will start in Triple A)

If Schilling is breathing you know he’ll give you everything he has. Add the fact that he’s now pitching for a contract extension and possibly the Hall of Fame, anything less than 16 to 18 wins would be a major disappointment. Plus Schilling will be looked upon to help the young guns. Beckett had a rough year in the AL and with the long ball. But on the plus side he stayed healthy all year won 16 games and at times looked dominate. Yes his ERA was over 5 but the 16 games he won he played extremely well, giving up no more than 3 runs I believe in all of them. But it’s the games he lost he got pounded. Hopefully Beckett works on being a PITCHER instead of a thrower. I except Beckett to win 17 games this year with around 4 ERA, he’s still a work in progress. Dice-K, mentioned above. Papelbon was a tough call should he stay on as closer or start? Well I think the Sox are making the right move. Papelbon has 5 pitches to get hitters out and his body is built like Clemens and Schilling and it doesn’t hurt being compared to them in terms of mental toughness. I except 15 wins, about 4.00 ERA, he’ll have his rough moments but I think Papelbon is going to show everyone why he belongs in the rotation. Wakefield, you know what you’ll get out of him. Lester should start the season in Triple A and once he proves he’s healthy enough and has the stamina he should be back with the club to help in long relief and spot starter unless someone gets hurt. In a perfect world he’ll land a pen role and excel in it after the All Star break. He’ll be in the rotation for sure in 2008.

Bullpen:
Mike Timlin
Joel Pineiro
Manny Delcarmen
Craig Hansen
Craig Breslow
Brendan Donnelly
J.C. Romero
Hideki Okajima
Devern Hansack
Julian Tavarez

New pitching coach John Farrell has his work cut out for him so here we go: Let’s get a bunch of names and throw them against the wall and see who sticks. That’s the Red Sox bullpen this year. No we don’t have a true closer but we have a lot of options. Tavarez could surprise a lot of people. He pitched very well as a starter last year and has a track recorded in the pen. Plus he’s a nut ball, it’s always good to have at least one of these types on your team in case of a brawl or a random sucker punch in ST. Hansen, Delcarmen and Breslow are works in progress. The Sox hope either Hansen or Delcarmen can take the ball and run with it but they have been rushed way to fast to the majors due to injuries and other guys just being bad. If these guys can start the season in Triple A to get their game back and come in around the All Star break and someone take the spot it would be great. Hansack is another sleeper. He pitched well with the Sox last year in his short time with the team and he’s rumored to be a front runner behind Pineiro for the closer’s role. Timlin, he’s declining and old but he tries every time he pitches which is the best you can say about him. Hopefully his knowledge and experience will help keep the rookies and young guys awake during those long innings this year. Basically the closer’s job is going to be won in ST and the Sox hope they can find the next Papelbon then.

Things to look forward to in 2007:

-The return of Jon Lester- Yes, Lester should be with the big club sometime this year and when he first steps on that mound Fenway is going to explode. The kid has thankfully beaten cancer and now it’s time to beat the other 29 MLB teams. This could possibly be one of the best moments in Red Sox history just out of sheer emotion, not even talking about the kid’s talent.

-David Ortiz- Who doesn’t like watching this guy hit?

-Manny Ramirez- See above. Hopefully no one was shocked Manny is still on the team.

-Dice-K-Mania- All eyes will be on this guy. A lot of pressure but I’m looking forward to seeing the “Japanese Pedro”

-J.D. Drew injury watch. The Vegas over/under is May 25th I believe.

-The debut of Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Bucholtz, Michael Bowden and Bryce Cox- Cox has the best chance to make it to the big leagues this year and many experts are saying he’ll be the closer by the end of the year ala Bobby Jenks in 05 and Adam Wainwright in 06. Ellsbury is the future CFer so he could get a nice look in September. Bucholtz and Bowden are long shots so if they don’t appear in 07 that’s probably a good thing but these kids are the top ranked starting pitching prospects in the farm.

-Fenway Park- one of the greatest ballparks ever. Seeing Fenway means it’s baseball for the next 7 months.

Outcome:

I don't like predicting things because I usually jinx myself but I really like this team. On paper the starting pitching has the potential to be one of the best in baseball. The pen is a ? mark but if some of the kids can step up with some of the vets the pen could be surprising. The line up is stronger than last year so adding all that together I'm banking on a playoff spot this year and hopefully more!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I welcome anyone and everyone to come here and discuss the Red Sox. Whether it’s positive or negative things, all is welcomed and encouraged. So kick back and get ready for another fun year of talking Red Sox baseball. Hopefully 2007 will be the year for the Red Sox once again!!!!

Alex44
01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Key losses:

-Trot Nixon- Yes the guy was always hard but when he played he played hard. He’s the definition of dirtdog. He had been with the team the longest and obviously was positive in the clubhouse however he was never healthy the past three years and it was clearly time to move on. Thanks for the memories Trot, you’ll get your standing ‘O’ when Cleveland comes to town.

That made me crack up. :lol: I think you meant 'hurt'

Anyway good luck, the only team I like other than my Marlins are the Sox so I hope you guys have a good season....and kill the Yankees.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 08:30 PM

Anyway good luck, the only team I like other than my Marlins are the Sox so I hope you guys have a good season....and kill the Yankees.

Nope, I meant hard.....

:lol:

Good pick up. I fixed it. Good luck with the Marlins too man.

Rocky Raccoon
01-31-2007, 08:32 PM

:sidelol:

wow I didn't catch that when I read it over. Nice to see how much you REALLY care about him.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 08:35 PM

wow I didn't catch that when I read it over. Nice to see how much you REALLY care about him.

The people that know me personally know my true feelings for Mr. Nixon and believe me there's nothing nice about it.

Phins28
01-31-2007, 08:42 PM
IMO Jason Varitek needs to stay healthy, he's the heart and soul of the Red Sox, the Sox went downhill after his injury last season. Also Josh Beckett needs to get back to his old form (2003) he was mediocre last season.

Vertical Limit
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure what Curt Schilling has left, I could see him move down to the bullpen by mid-season. Jon Lester IMO has been pretty good, and has potential to be a starter. So you can see him move back in if Curt struggles.

Anyways good luck Boston. I'm a closet Red Sox fan, just because I will always be fans of Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell. :D I hope they have a good year.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure what Curt Schilling has left, I could see him move down to the bullpen by mid-season. Jon Lester IMO has been pretty good, and has potential to be a starter. So you can see him move back in if Curt struggles.

Anyways good luck Boston. I'm a closet Red Sox fan, just because I will always be fans of Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell. :D I hope they have a good year.

Well Schilling did win 15 games in 204 innings pitched with a 3.97 ERA in the AL. So he still has something left in the tank.

If anything I want to see Lester take over Wakefield's spot. I feel that Wake really handicaps the Sox with his knuckleball. And to think without him the Sox would still have Meredith and Bard instead of Mirabelli :shakeno:

And there's no shame in being a closet Sox fan. The more the merrier!

DonShula84
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
I like your team quite a bit if the bullpen steps up and the pitching holds up and the question marks (Matsuzaka and Papelbon) play up to their potential. Offense obviously isnt much of a concern. I always love when Boston comes to town so hopefully I can get tickets in August to see Matsuzaka and Ortiz live.

unifiedtheory
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow...you guys are starting early this year eh? LOL!

I'm just gonna wait for one of the resident Angels fans to start their thread, it's usually my in season baseball home, until they kick me out one day...

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow...you guys are starting early this year eh? LOL!

I'm just gonna wait for one of the resident Angels fans to start their thread, it's usually my in season baseball home, until they kick me out one day...

Actually this was started late compared to last year. But hey this is the worst time to be a baseball fan, it's all dead time until ST games start. All the big names have been signed, the only ones left are a few bench players etc. so teams aren't going to change much until the end of ST towards the beginning of the year.

Can't wait for the season to start though, should be another great year for baseball with a lot of close races especially in the AL East, Central and West.

Rocky Raccoon
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Actually this was started late compared to last year. But hey this is the worst time to be a baseball fan, it's all dead time until ST games start. All the big names have been signed, the only ones left are a few bench players etc. so teams aren't going to change much until the end of ST towards the beginning of the year.

Can't wait for the season to start though, should be another great year for baseball with a lot of close races especially in the AL East, Central and West.

I still think the Orioles will be much improved this year.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I still think the Orioles will be much improved this year.

Yeah they can't be much worse than they have been the past couple of years. They do have nice arms though and a decent line up. But still they're a 4th place team.

Nothing will change until they get rid of their current owner.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Jon Lester arrived at Ft. Myers today!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

The report says he looks good and put back the 15 pounds he lost. He admits he isn't 100% but says he'll be ready for the season in whatever role the Sox want.

GreenMonster
01-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Jon Lester arrived at Ft. Myers today!

The report says he looks good and put back the 15 pounds he lost. He admits he isn't 100% but says he'll be ready for the season in whatever role the Sox want.

GreenMonster checking in..

Lester looked great last year, he has great stuff. Hopefully this didn't take to much out of him because he could be a great addition at some point. I couldn't be more happy about our rotation this year.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2007, 11:55 PM
GreenMonster checking in..

Lester looked great last year, he has great stuff. Hopefully this didn't take to much out of him because he could be a great addition at some point. I couldn't be more happy about our rotation this year.

I agree. The thing about Lester that really impressed me was how well he pitched with runners on base (granted he put them on the bases because he was wild at times) but the pressure didn't seem to bother him much.

I hope Lester is healthy for his own sake first, but I think he'll be helping the team out in June. I think the Sox will go slow with him and should for the few couple of months.

Ray Finkle
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Dice-K commericals anyone?

I love seeing him drinking the beer like it's water:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5gkn4bAdHx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a29JkRjvnHw&NR

King Felix
02-02-2007, 02:07 AM
joel pinerio sucks :lol:

i wish mariners really tried to trade for manny

FaninPatsyLand
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
AHHHHH.. it's (one of) the most wonderful times of the year.. Red Sox baseball is right around the corner.

I haven't been posting much lately on the website, but hopefully that will change as the Sox season gets started.

Here's to a hell of a run in 2007 fellow Sox fans. Also, let's hope we get the real Coco Crisp (the guy we all know he's capable of being as he showed in Cleveland) this year.

I can't wait to see Daisuke's first start at Fenway.

And the lineup.. Ortiz, Ramirez and Drew is the best 3-4-5 combination in baseball.. and it's not even close.

Go Sox..

Ray Finkle
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Good article on Mr. Papelbon in today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/02/04/for_any_role_hes_on_call/

Call me crazy but I think Paps is going to win 15 games, he's got that Roger Clemens' edge and mindset to him. Hopefully he can stay healthy because I think he's going to be something special no matter what role he fills.

FIN-IN-RI
02-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Ahhh.. the bullpen scares me.. The line up is great, the rotation is great the bullpen is below average. Guys need to step up this year and show why we drafted them. We should throw Hansen into the closing role. Make it his job to lose.

Ray Finkle
02-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Ahhh.. the bullpen scares me.. The line up is great, the rotation is great the bullpen is below average. Guys need to step up this year and show why we drafted them. We should throw Hansen into the closing role. Make it his job to lose.

Ah I think someone in ST will have to earn the spot by pitching well. After now the Top 4 guys to get the role are Pineiro, Timlin, Donnelly and Taveras. I'd like to see Pineiro take it because he has at least 3 pitches to use to get hitters out, although I wouldn't be surprised if Taveras takes the job as he pitched very well down the stretch. I'm sure the Sox will give Hansen and Delcarmen a few chances to earn the spot but I don't think Hansen is quite ready for the major leagues right now. He was rushed up too soon and it really hurt his progress. The one positive is at least he realizes that (from the quotes and articles I read about him) so it's nothing like lost confidence like a Foulke or Kim situation which is good. Hansen is still considered to be the closer of the future, along with perhaps Bryce Cox.

King Felix
02-11-2007, 03:02 AM
i know this doesnt have much to do with red soxs, but i cant wait for michael garciaparra's mlb debut!!!

Ray Finkle
02-11-2007, 03:18 AM
i know this doesnt have much to do with red soxs, but i cant wait for michael garciaparra's mlb debut!!!

Me 2 man. Is he still playing 2nd base? And when is he scheduled to come up?

King Felix
02-11-2007, 03:33 AM
Me 2 man. Is he still playing 2nd base? And when is he scheduled to come up?he played 2nd base in triple-a, i havent read anything saying he is going to change....on seattlemariners.com they have him on the active roster....hopefully he has a strong spring training and makes opening day roster

Ray Finkle
02-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Good article on the Sox and their rotation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=2760117

Also: Lester, Papelbon and Beckett are in camp as of today throwing. Thank god its almost April.

GreenMonster
02-13-2007, 10:41 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=2760117

Also: Lester, Papelbon and Beckett are in camp as of today throwing. Thank god its almost April.

Great article that stressed we could be lights out or down and out. I am pretty sure that our rotation will be a great strength this year, especially if Lester can come back healthy, he was great last year and will add a lefty arm to the staff of righties.

Matsuzaka arrived at spring training today, I honestly can't wait to watch this guy pitch.

UCFinfan86
02-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Jason Stark from ESPN just reported on Sportscenter that Daisuke throws 6 different pitches, however their is no gyro ball

Ray Finkle
02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Jason Stark from ESPN just reported on Sportscenter that Daisuke throws 6 different pitches, however their is no gyro ball

Gyro ball or no gyro ball no one will care as long as he wins baseball games. I can't wait until his first MLB start.

FIN-IN-RI
02-16-2007, 04:49 PM

It's all about the bullpen...

Ray Finkle
02-16-2007, 06:40 PM
It's all about the bullpen...

I agree. Should be interesting if anyone steps up or if the pen will be a disaster like he has been the past few years.

PressCoverage
02-17-2007, 12:37 AM
So Foulkey is calling it a career, huh? Wow...

Ray Finkle
02-17-2007, 12:44 AM

Yup, he was obviously burnt out from it due to injuries and his personal life. He hinted at retirement a lot last year saying he lost his passion for the sport and money didn't matter to him. Maybe someday he'll return as he's still young but either way I hope he comes back to Boston so he could get the proper send off and also to heal the old wounds from the "Johnny From Burger King" comments.

FaninPatsyLand
02-17-2007, 01:13 AM

I wish the relationship between him and the organization ended on a more positive note.

That man almost singlehandedly won the WS for us in 2004. I hope his accomplishments during that postseason aren't tainted because of the way things ended.

He was without a doubt the MVP of that team.

Ray Finkle
02-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Some news:

According to Julian Taveras, Manny is going to be showing up to camp on March 1st (1 week late) due to his mother having surgery or something. Manny usually comes to camp on March 1st anyway so this is no big deal.

Also Schilling is in talks with Theo on a contract extension and thinks it will get done soon.

Red Sox are sporting new ST hats which are all red with the red B. They look ugly as hell, but just another way to make a few bucks as some fans will buy anything these days.

Full work outs start tomorrow.

Rocky Raccoon
02-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Papelbon to be closer after all?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/02/the_closer.html

Ray Finkle
02-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Papelbon to be closer after all?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/02/the_closer.html

This should clear up the above link (maybe):

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/02/setting_the_rec.html

DonShula84
02-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Got my tickets today for August 7th when the Sox come to Anaheim. Hoping that luck is on my side and Matsuzaka pitches. Either way it is always a great game when the Red Sox come to town.

GreenMonster
02-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Got my tickets today for August 7th when the Sox come to Anaheim. Hoping that luck is on my side and Matsuzaka pitches. Either way it is always a great game when the Red Sox come to town.

I miss Sox games a ton.. I live in Atlanta so I can get my fill of NL teams, ya..

I can't wait for some games to see who all the guys in the bullpen are pitching.. Who wins the closer role will be interesting all the way to the end, since there are so many guys that could win the role..

Ray Finkle
02-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Good stuff! I always try to catch an Angels/Sox game at Fenway at least once a year myself.

Anyway even if Dice-K doesn't pitch that game and assuming every one is healthy you'll still see a pretty good game with either Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Wakefield or Lester going. Come to think of it, these Red Sox/Angel games have potential to be pretty good games based on the potential of each team's starting pitching. Maybe you should get tickets for the other 2 games as well, maybe buy one for me and Green Monster and we'll meet you there :wink:

UCFinfan86
02-20-2007, 06:22 PM
I am going to 2 games when Boston plays at Tampa during the summer(July i believe)

DonShula84
02-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Good stuff! I always try to catch an Angels/Sox game at Fenway at least once a year myself.

Anyway even if Dice-K doesn't pitch that game and assuming every one is healthy you'll still see a pretty good game with either Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Wakefield or Lester going. Come to think of it, these Red Sox/Angel games have potential to be pretty good games based on the potential of each team's starting pitching. Maybe you should get tickets for the other 2 games as well, maybe buy one for me and Green Monster and we'll meet you there :wink:

Yeah, should be some good matchups. I'd like to see Dice-K but a lot of good possibilities. Nothing like seeing Vlad connect on the knuckle ball :wink:

Forget about you coming to LA, I want to see Fenway!

Ray Finkle
02-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, should be some good matchups. I'd like to see Dice-K but a lot of good possibilities. Nothing like seeing Vlad connect on the knuckle ball :wink:

Forget about you coming to LA, I want to see Fenway!

I've said it a million times but every baseball fan has to see Fenway, Wrigley and Yankee Stadium at least once. But Fenway and Wrigley are by far my favorite stadiums.

Ray Finkle
02-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Manny reported early (for him that is) to camp, as he came today. So now that everyone is there it's time to get back to business.

First game is Thursday I believe against Northeastern and Daisuke is pitching Friday night vs. BC which will be on NESN (until he comes out of the game).

GreenMonster
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Schilling looked good last night, and Lester is throwing today. Our pitching staff has a real chance to throw out a quality arm every night, ala the 05' White Sox. Injuries will add up I am sure, but atleast this year I feel we have a little depth if Lester is ready too.

GreenMonster
03-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Just caught the highlights of Matsuzaka. 3 K's in 2 innings. I can see him maybe getting a few moon shots hit of him, his K's were all high in the zone. Fine for Boston College, not good for AL East play.

Ray Finkle
03-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Just caught the highlights of Matsuzaka. 3 K's in 2 innings. I can see him maybe getting a few moon shots hit of him, his K's were all high in the zone. Fine for Boston College, not good for AL East play.

It's just great to see baseball back. But I agree he's got to keep the ball down in the zone, unless he's setting up the hitters. It is hard to really put stock into these ST games anyway so it'll be hard to really judge him until the season starts.

Clark Kent
03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Clark Kent finally checking in. Can't wait for the season to get under way.

FIN-IN-RI
03-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Mats' first pitch strikes are impressive.

Looks like Timilin will be the de facto closer heading into the season but don't count out on a deal to be made for a closer at the end of ST.

UCFinfan86
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
so far i dont feel comfortable with any of these closers. What do the nationals want for Cordero? he seems like logical choice

Ray Finkle
03-08-2007, 07:30 PM
so far i dont feel comfortable with any of these closers. What do the nationals want for Cordero? he seems like logical choice

Last I heard they wanted any three out of Wily Mo, Bucholtz, Hansen, Bowden, Delcarmen and Ellsbury. So after the 5 seconds of laughter from the Red Sox FO the next thing the Nats GM Jim Bowden heard was the phone slam down. Plus I'm not sure Cordero would be a good fit with the Sox, there are questions about his mental toughness as well as the decreasing MPH on his fastball etc.

Yes the pen hasn't been very good but it is still March, although I admit I'm not confident in most of those guys in the pen. I'm hoping this Bryce Cox can continue to impress in the minors and come up and dominate the way Jenks, K-Rod and Wainwright did as rookies. The season is still very very young.

Ray Finkle
03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Clark Kent finally checking in. Can't wait for the season to get under way.

About freakin' time man, it only took you over a month!!! Just kidding glad to have you aboard for hopefully a great Sox year.

GreenMonster
03-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Last I heard they wanted any three out of Wily Mo, Bucholtz, Hansen, Bowden, Delcarmen and Ellsbury. So after the 5 seconds of laughter from the Red Sox FO the next thing the Nats GM Jim Bowden heard was the phone slam down. Plus I'm not sure Cordero would be a good fit with the Sox, there are questions about his mental toughness as well as the decreasing MPH on his fastball etc.

Yes the pen hasn't been very good but it is still March, although I admit I'm not confident in most of those guys in the pen. I'm hoping this Bryce Cox can continue to impress in the minors and come up and dominate the way Jenks, K-Rod and Wainwright did as rookies. The season is still very very young.

Bryce Cox didn't even get an invite to spring training this year. From everything I have read, they want to bring him along slowely, so it's unlikely to see him pitching for the Sox this year, unless our bullpen is that bad, and he is lighting up AA and AAA.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Bryce Cox didn't even get an invite to spring training this year. From everything I have read, they want to bring him along slowely, so it's unlikely to see him pitching for the Sox this year, unless our bullpen is that bad, and he is lighting up AA and AAA.

Well I think the reason why he wasn't invited was like you said they want to bring him along slowly and also not to put any pressure on him right now. Yeah he's a wild card and long shot but if he keeps dominating in the minor leagues it'll be hard not to call him up. Of course I know the Sox dropped the ball with rushing Hansen so that makes me nervous too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up in August though.

GreenMonster
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM
With all the Dice-K hoopla, has anyone been checking out Papelbon. He has been mowing hitters down so far. When his arm is healthy, he can be one of the best pitchers in the league. I hope he can go the whole season as a starter.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2007, 10:25 AM
With all the Dice-K hoopla, has anyone been checking out Papelbon. He has been mowing hitters down so far. When his arm is healthy, he can be one of the best pitchers in the league. I hope he can go the whole season as a starter.

What about Beckett and Schilling too? Hell even Wake has been doing well so far. This pitching staff can be scary good if healthy,

Clark Kent
03-10-2007, 12:58 AM

I prefer him as a closer... Sorry, but this whole rotating closer **** never, never works.

Papelbon should start ONLY when he can be replaced, not before (even if he wants to start).

FIN-IN-RI
03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Dice had a shakey outing yesterday after it had the makings to be a very good outing.. I love how he attacks batters regardless of count but he has to lower his fastball and his breaking ball a bit.. Too high in the zone.

FIN-IN-RI
03-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I prefer him as a closer... Sorry, but this whole rotating closer **** never, never works.

Papelbon should start ONLY when he can be replaced, not before (even if he wants to start).

You're right, it never does work. I don't think that it will be a closer by committe type deal though. Spring training isn't over yet and deals can still be made. If not, it will be Timlin's job to lose.

Paps still needs to be the starter regardless. 100-120 pitches every 5 days. Being a closer will shorten his shelf-life.. Too much inconsistency on his arm.. A guy like Pap needs regimine.

Ray Finkle
03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Dice had a shakey outing yesterday after it had the makings to be a very good outing.. I love how he attacks batters regardless of count but he has to lower his fastball and his breaking ball a bit.. Too high in the zone.

Agreed. He looked good early on. Of course if he doesn't make that throwing error in the 4th the outcome would probably have been a whole lot different. But its better to struggle in March than in April thur October.

Ray Finkle
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
You're right, it never does work. I don't think that it will be a closer by committe type deal though. Spring training isn't over yet and deals can still be made. If not, it will be Timlin's job to lose.

Paps still needs to be the starter regardless. 100-120 pitches every 5 days. Being a closer will shorten his shelf-life.. Too much inconsistency on his arm.. A guy like Pap needs regimine.

With Timlin being out for this long, I think the job will go to Piniero who has been pitching well lately.

This rumor should make for some interesting talk radio according to the SF paper the Sox called about Benitez over the weekend. Let me be the first to say I'd rather have a closer by committe than Benitez who is terrible in big spots and hasn't been good for awhile.

FaninPatsyLand
03-12-2007, 12:53 PM
BEAT NY, BEAT NY, BEAT NY.. :lol:

Seriously this whole spring training thing is getting old very fast, is it almost opening day?

GreenMonster
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Seriously this whole spring training thing is getting old very fast, is it almost opening day?

I can't wait. Being a Bucks fan I haven't watched much NBA, and Uconn didn't even make the NIT this year, missing the a postseason tourney for the 1st time since 1990. I can't wait for Opening Day.

Ray Finkle
03-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Good article on Jacoby Ellsbury:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/03/11/ellsbury_a_rare_talent/

The article mentions that scouts project Ellsbury to be like Johnny Damon with the bat and a future gold glover in CF. I must say if Ellsbury is anywhere near Damon with the bat I'd be very happy.

Also good article on Matsuzaka and his 'bad' game yesterday:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/03/12/pitcher_the_picture_of_calm/

P.S. Patsy I was wrong Pavano IS making the start tonight.

Rocky Raccoon
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM

3 weeks from today :)

PressCoverage
03-15-2007, 05:37 AM
yeah, ummmm 2 whole days and not a single update here? what do you think i pay you guys for?

is anyone even DOWN THERE in Ft. Myers? how RUDE!!!! is this thing ON!?...

:cool:

Ray Finkle
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM
yeah, ummmm 2 whole days and not a single update here? what do you think i pay you guys for?

is anyone even DOWN THERE in Ft. Myers? how RUDE!!!! is this thing ON!?...

:cool:

Sorry Press, I take full responsibility for the lack of updates, however sometimes no news is good news.

But just for you here's a few updates:

-Timlin might begin the year on the DL (maybe the best thing for the club and him).

-Kyle Synder has been pitching very well and will either make the team as a long man/spot starter or even talk of him being a 'dark horse' for the closer's role. He also looks a lot like Bronson Arroyo and actually reminds me of him a lot. Also he does have some trade value too.

-Theo came out and said the team will probably not trade for a closer before Opening Day.

-Best news of all: a Red Sox official came out and said the Red Sox have no talked to the Giants about Benitez at all.

So there you good, keep checking back for more updates Press! Sorry to have let you down.

FIN-IN-RI
03-17-2007, 10:57 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_spring_training/post/Red-Sox-exploring-closer-options?urn=mlb,26791

By Tim Brown

PHOENIX, Ariz. - Keep an eye on the Boston Red Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bos/), who suddenly are getting very active in their search for a closer.

Al Nipper on Friday afternoon scouted Milwaukee Brewers (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/mil/) right-hander Derrick Turnbow (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6420/), who pitched well against the Los Angeles Angels (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/laa/), and on Friday night scouted Arizona Diamondbacks (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/ari/) right-hander Jorge Julio (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6709/), who was so-so against the Oakland A's.

The San Francisco Giants (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/sfo/) would love to dress up Armando Benitez (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5290/) over the next week or so, making him attractive to the Red Sox. Benitez touched 93 mph on Saturday against the Colorado Rockies (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/col/), and the Giants believe he'll be at 95 by next week.
I've also heard scuttlebutt RE: Brad Lidge...

Ray Finkle
03-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I'd take a chance with Lidle and possibly even Turnbow but Jorge Julio and Benitez will just be a complete disaster in Boston.

Ray Finkle
03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Timlin is going to start the season on the DL so either Pineiro (who has been pitching very well lately) or Julian Taveraz will get the closer's job to start the season. Which in my opinion is for the best because I doubt Timlin could stay healthy and good through the whole season.

GreenMonster
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Got to watch Dice-K on ESPN today and he looked very good dialing it upto 96 and throwing some wicked breaking balls. He had pretty good location of his pitches and at one time sat down 10 straight.

Nappy Roots
03-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Got to watch Dice-K on ESPN today and he looked very good dialing it upto 96 and throwing some wicked breaking balls. He had pretty good location of his pitches and at one time sat down 10 straight.

yea, he looked good. also, anyone notice the game was in bradenton? bradenton represent! :cooldude:

but for real, dicek looks good. cant imagine what he will do to the devil rays. :mad:

UCFinfan86
03-21-2007, 07:25 PM
i seen the sportscenter highlight of his game, he looked dominate

UCFinfan86
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Papelbon will return to closers run. Don't have a link yet, saw it on espn's bottom line

GreenMonster
03-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Papelbon will return to closers run. Don't have a link yet, saw it on espn's bottom line

I am watching the game. Got to love this news, our bullpen is still subpar, but Papelbon is a rock as the closer. If our rotation stays healthy we are gonna be a very tough team this year. I would think Kyle Snyder would probably be the 5th starter till Lester is ready. He has looked pretty good this spring.

UCFinfan86
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
I am watching the game. Got to love this news, our bullpen is still subpar, but Papelbon is a rock as the closer. If our rotation stays healthy we are gonna be a very tough team this year. I would think Kyle Snyder would probably be the 5th starter till Lester is ready. He has looked pretty good this spring.

Snyder over Gabbard??

Also when is Lester suppose to come back?

GreenMonster
03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Snyder over Gabbard??

Also when is Lester suppose to come back?

I think Snyder would get the nod over Gabbard at this point but I could be wrong. Lester won't be back and pitching with the big league squad till around the All-Star break. He has looked pretty good but remember he is still a rookie, so they want to have him strong for the 2nd half of the season, so they said he will pitch a bunch of minor league starts before he comes back up.

Ray Finkle
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't like this move one bit, if true. Starting pitching is more important than a closer. With Papelbon in the rotation the Sox would have one of the best, if not the best rotation, based on pure talent however with Papelbon out of it, the rotation isn't as strong.

I think the Sox are making a mistake. Let's see what Pineiro or Julian can do before we go nuts. Yes I know a closer is important but every year some unknown guy comes in and is lights out, why can't that guy be a Pineiro or Julian. Especially considering guys with less talent like Todd Jones and Joe Bowoski can get the job done fairly well.

Again I don't like this move at all and hopefully it is just a rumor. Don't get me wrong I loved Papelbon as closer last year but he's more value in starting than relief.

Ray Finkle
03-22-2007, 02:46 PM
And yes Kyle Synder would probably be the 5th starter with Taveras next in line then Gabbard at the start of the season until Lester gets healthy.

UCFinfan86
03-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't like this move one bit, if true. Starting pitching is more important than a closer. With Papelbon in the rotation the Sox would have one of the best, if not the best rotation, based on pure talent however with Papelbon out of it, the rotation isn't as strong.

I think the Sox are making a mistake. Let's see what Pineiro or Julian can do before we go nuts. Yes I know a closer is important but every year some unknown guy comes in and is lights out, why can't that guy be a Pineiro or Julian. Especially considering guys with less talent like Todd Jones and Joe Bowoski can get the job done fairly well.

Again I don't like this move at all and hopefully it is just a rumor. Don't get me wrong I loved Papelbon as closer last year but he's more value in starting than relief.

i dont like it either, but hes comin hes warming up now and their in the 7th inning of the game. The announcers said the Redsox haven't confirmed it but they bleieve they will as soon as this afternoon

UCFinfan86
03-22-2007, 02:54 PM
And yes Kyle Synder would probably be the 5th starter with Taveras next in line then Gabbard at the start of the season until Lester gets healthy.

Why Taveras before Gabbard?? Gabbard has pitched just as good as Snyder this spring

Clark Kent
03-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Again I don't like this move at all and hopefully it is just a rumor. Don't get me wrong I loved Papelbon as closer last year but he's more value in starting than relief.couldn't disagree more. Starting pitching isn't as important when your pen sucks like ours does.

Ray Finkle
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Why Taveras before Gabbard?? Gabbard has pitched just as good as Snyder this spring

Because Taveras did well last year as a starter and if he feels important he'll do a good job. As for Gabbard, you can't get too excited about what guys do in March. The coaches admitted Gabbard needed work on his breaking pitches. Plus I think Gabbard would be a better lefty reliever. Basically I wouldn't screw with Gabbard's confidence by bring him up when he's not ready like they did with Hansen and Delcarmen.

Ray Finkle
03-22-2007, 03:00 PM
couldn't disagree more. Starting pitching isn't as important when your pen sucks like ours does.

True but if your starting pitcher can't get out of the 3rd inning the bullpen is a non factor too. Bottom line it's easy to find a decent closer than a good starter, that's the way I'm looking at it.

Ray Finkle
03-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Well it's official:

I still don't like it but if this is something Papelbon really wants to do, then alright I guess I can live with it because I know he'll put in his best effort.

EDIT: Francona named Taveras the 5th starter. Bad move I would have let Synder take it due to his strong spring and more of an upside. No matter whatever has the job is keeping it warm for Lester to make his huge return.

FaninPatsyLand
03-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Gotta love this move.. Tavarez closing games out for us would have been a disaster, this move brings some stability into the pen. The bullpen on the whole still looks like it sucks, but this move is a giant step towards mediocrity in that area.

And for everyone going nuts about how this affects our starting pitching, Tavarez is going to be our 5th starter... WHO CARES? 5th starters in this league don't win 15 games, just keep us in the game. When it comes right down to it, our offense should be able to win us a game every 5th day or the lineup isn't earning it's collective paycheck.

PressCoverage
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Sorry Press, I take full responsibility for the lack of updates, however sometimes no news is good news.

But just for you here's a few updates:

-Timlin might begin the year on the DL (maybe the best thing for the club and him).

-Kyle Synder has been pitching very well and will either make the team as a long man/spot starter or even talk of him being a 'dark horse' for the closer's role. He also looks a lot like Bronson Arroyo and actually reminds me of him a lot. Also he does have some trade value too.

-Theo came out and said the team will probably not trade for a closer before Opening Day.

-Best news of all: a Red Sox official came out and said the Red Sox have no talked to the Giants about Benitez at all.

So there you good, keep checking back for more updates Press! Sorry to have let you down.

good work... we'll keep you around for another season... :cooldude:

by the way, over in Yankee land, they're putting on the brave face over Wang... "no big worry" is the latest spin... i love them...

Ray Finkle
03-25-2007, 11:28 AM
good work... we'll keep you around for another season... :cooldude:

by the way, over in Yankee land, they're putting on the brave face over Wang... "no big worry" is the latest spin... i love them...

Thanks man! I intended to stick around anyway.

As for the Yankees (we're allowed to talk about them right?) they're looking at Carl Pavano starting opening day. Yup Carl Pavano. I'll just let the jokes take care of themselves.

The Red Sox have to jump out of the gate early.

FinsNYanksFan13
03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks man! I intended to stick around anyway.

As for the Yankees (we're allowed to talk about them right?) they're looking at Carl Pavano starting opening day. Yup Carl Pavano. I'll just let the jokes take care of themselves.

The Red Sox have to jump out of the gate early.

I see your gearing up for the Red Sox usual April/May/June division championship. They seem to win the division every year in those months! :sidelol:

Ray Finkle
03-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I see your gearing up for the Red Sox usual April/May/June division championship. They seem to win the division every year in those months! :sidelol:

:sleep:

GreenMonster
03-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Beckett looked very good today in his final spring start. I have high hopes for him this year, he must be better than last year for us to go deep in the playoffs. Overall I am very happy with our starting pitching, Schilling is in decline but still had a sub 4 era in the AL East. Blisters Beckett threw 200+ innings last year and seems to have figured out the blisters thing. Dice-K has been nothing short of great so far, I am very confident he wins 12-15 if not more. He has great command and can throw breaking balls for strikes. Wakefield is a solid 4th starter that will give you innings every year and give the pen a rest. Tavaraz was pretty good last year as a starter, and as our 5th starter as long as he gives us a chance with our lineup, he should do fine.

Ray Finkle
03-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Beckett looked very good today in his final spring start. I have high hopes for him this year, he must be better than last year for us to go deep in the playoffs. Overall I am very happy with our starting pitching, Schilling is in decline but still had a sub 4 era in the AL East. Blisters Beckett threw 200+ innings last year and seems to have figured out the blisters thing. Dice-K has been nothing short of great so far, I am very confident he wins 12-15 if not more. He has great command and can throw breaking balls for strikes. Wakefield is a solid 4th starter that will give you innings every year and give the pen a rest. Tavaraz was pretty good last year as a starter, and as our 5th starter as long as he gives us a chance with our lineup, he should do fine.

Here's the thing with Beckett. People look at him and see he had a 5.01 ERA and gave up over 30 home runs which I admit is very bad. However he won 16 games (on a 3rd place team which people like to point out all the time). Those 16 games he won, I believe only once did he give up more then 3 runs. The 16 games he won he pitched very very well. It was those 11 games he lost that he sucked and got killed in (giving up 6, 7, 8 runs). I too expect big things from him, especially since he admitted he needed time to get use to the AL and also he needed to trsut Varitek more with calling pitches etc. I think Beckett will surprise a lot of his haters this year.

GreenMonster
03-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Here's the thing with Beckett. People look at him and see he had a 5.01 ERA and gave up over 30 home runs which I admit is very bad. However he won 16 games (on a 3rd place team which people like to point out all the time). Those 16 games he won, I believe only once did he give up more then 3 runs. The 16 games he won he pitched very very well. It was those 11 games he lost that he sucked and got killed in (giving up 6, 7, 8 runs). I too expect big things from him, especially since he admitted he needed time to get use to the AL and also he needed to trsut Varitek more with calling pitches etc. I think Beckett will surprise a lot of his haters this year.

I agree, people forget he is only 26 he is still learning to pitch. He was bombed in some starts and looked to have zero focus which lead to some huge innings and lots of long balls. I think his biggest problem is not having confindence throwing his other pitches for strikes. He must listen to Varitek and grow as a pitcher, your fastball loses a ton when people know its coming.

Ray Finkle
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
This is one of the reasons why I love Beckett:

Here's the link

Here's the part I love about him:

Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis was clipped in the lower leg by baserunner Alejandro De Aza on the final out of the fourth inning. Youkilis stayed in the game. Three innings later, Beckett hit De Aza in the ribs with a pitch and there was a little tension when De Aza stared out to the mound and Beckett starting walking toward the Marlins centerfielder.

He's got stones and knows how to protect his teammates, that's a guy I want on my team, someone who's not afraid. I remember when he got into a beef with Ryan Howard in last year's spring training game. Beckett has that fire Clemens and Pedro had/has only he doesn't throw at people's heads (which I never thought was right on Clemens or Pedro's part).

FIN-IN-RI
03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
yea, he looked good. also, anyone notice the game was in bradenton? bradenton represent! :cooldude:

but for real, dicek looks good. cant imagine what he will do to the devil rays. :mad:

I immediately thought of you when I saw that.

FIN-IN-RI
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Regarding the whole Closer v. Starter thing, there is really no wrong move here. Both positions on the team are equally important, especially come Playoff time in pressure-cooker situations when you need a Closer with stones in close, late-inning matchups. Unless you are one that believes that it isn't in Papelbon's best medical interest to be a Closer and that his arm will fair better as a Starter, we're talking about a win-win situation here.

FaninPatsyLand
03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Ok, this spring training thing is getting really old..

but even with Papelbon in the pen, I'm still concerned about it on the whole.. although I think JC Romero is going to have a nice bounce back year.

PressCoverage
03-30-2007, 02:35 AM
3 days of nothing... you guys are fined... ;)

i'll be in Vegas for opening day.... Sox at 4, NCAA title game that night, at the MGM... aaaaaah...

DonShula84
03-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Ok, this spring training thing is getting really old..

but even with Papelbon in the pen, I'm still concerned about it on the whole.. although I think JC Romero is going to have a nice bounce back year.

Guy was a train wreck in Anaheim. I like him though so hopefully he works out better for you guys. Though I'd love to see GA take him deep when you come to town in August :)

FaninPatsyLand
03-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Guy was a train wreck in Anaheim. I like him though so hopefully he works out better for you guys. Though I'd love to see GA take him deep when you come to town in August :)

You mean the artist formerly known as Garrett Anderson? :wink:

Seriously, I think Romero's horrendous year in LA was more of an abberation than anything else. The guy has been a solid reliever for a long time, especially for that stretch being the primary setup man in Minnesota where he was nails.

DonShula84
03-31-2007, 10:20 PM
You mean the artist formerly known as Garrett Anderson? :wink:

Seriously, I think Romero's horrendous year in LA was more of an abberation than anything else. The guy has been a solid reliever for a long time, especially for that stretch being the primary setup man in Minnesota where he was nails.

I agree Romero is much better than he showed last year. I was excited when the Angels got him, and I liked him w/ the Twins, so hopefully he does better for you guys.

And GA is supposedly healthy finally. He may not be the GA of old, but hopefully he can do more than he did the last year or two. I hope anyway :(

Ray Finkle
04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Man Schilling looks bad today. I know KC sucks but the Sox NEVER play well there ever (same with playing in Texas and Seattle).

Down 5 to 1. Hopefully the bats wake up because right now they're making Dayton Moore look like a genius signing Meche to all that money.

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Coco Crisp pisses me off.

King Felix
04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
wow....first mlb pitch is hit for a homerun

Ray Finkle
04-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Terrible opening day. Team played pretty flat.

FaninPatsyLand
04-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Crisp and Varitek suck... just complete liabilities at the plate.

GreenMonster
04-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Terrible opening day. Team played pretty flat.

Pretty tough to watch I agree. Varitek is done as a good hitter, he needs to be dropped in the order, watching him bat now is brutal.

Ray Finkle
04-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Pretty tough to watch I agree. Varitek is done as a good hitter, he needs to be dropped in the order, watching him bat now is brutal.

I agree but the problem is that bottom of the order around Drew is actually pretty weak. I would love to get a nice young power hitting 3rd baseman or 1st baseman at the trading deadline or even next year during the winter (yes I know I'm getting wayyyyy ahead of myself but the Sox haven't had a big bat at 1st since Mo and 3rd since..... well I can't even remember that far back).

The Sox aren't going to out slug teams in the past, they can't match up head to head with the Yankees or Blue Jays in their division so they're going to have to rely on their arms. Schilling looked really bad today but it was the 1st game of the season. I'm very interested in seeing the next two games coming up with Beckett and Matsuzaka.

FaninPatsyLand
04-03-2007, 01:44 AM
For as much money as the front office is dumping into this team, it's shocking that the bottom half of the lineup could be this atrocious. After Drew.. Lowell, Varitek, Crisp and Pedroia looks like a weak hitting NL lineup.

Pedroia had some good ABs today and hit the ball pretty hard, I think he might be the best hitter we have in our 6 through 9 holes.

Ray Finkle
04-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Big start tonight for Beckett. He had a good spring and needs to trust Varitek more. Using his off speed pitches more and keep the hitters off balance.

Ray Finkle
04-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Good win tonight. Beckett threw a lot of pitches but did a good job mixing up his pitches. Drew has been playing very well the past 2 games, if he continues like this he'll win a lot of fans over very quickly and make everyone forget about Nixon. Pedroia is also hitting the ball well the first two games.

I can't wait to get out of KC, those games are hard to sit through as they're always boring.

GreenMonster
04-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Good win tonight. Beckett threw a lot of pitches but did a good job mixing up his pitches. Drew has been playing very well the past 2 games, if he continues like this he'll win a lot of fans over very quickly and make everyone forget about Nixon. Pedroia is also hitting the ball well the first two games.

I can't wait to get out of KC, those games are hard to sit through as they're always boring.

Beckett starting strong would be nice this year. He looked pretty good tonight, now if he can just get his walks down. If Drew plays he will be great, nobody really questions his tools, its ability to stay on the field. The guy can flat-out hit, and once he learns right field at Fenway, should be a defensive stud out there.

PressCoverage
04-05-2007, 06:56 AM

not ready to concede this bottom-of-the-order, panic sentiment yet at all... :cooldude:

Coco Crisp is a mere 20 months removed from completely carrying the Cleveland offense down the stretch in '05... Pedroia seems like he could develop some nice pop... and Varitek, at his age, could benefit from two days off per week, at LEAST... the Sox need to develop a young catcher, or sign a capable veteran, and SOON and keep V fresh... last year's stupid WBC crushed him and it showed...

most of the league will be doing far, far worse in their 7, 8, 9 spots, trust me... and you win in this league with pitching, and I'll match our rotation/closer combo with anyone in the AL right now... provided Schilling cuts out the carbs...

on a side note, did i hear the former Marlins' radio guy doing the Sox last night for WEEI? he's the new guy? interesting...

also, did anyone notice Beckett REALLY relying on that curve last night like we all hoped? it was nasty, and effective... look the F out!!!...

FaninPatsyLand
04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
and Varitek, at his age, could benefit from two days off per week, at LEAST... the Sox need to develop a young catcher, or sign a capable veteran, and SOON and keep V fresh... last year's stupid WBC crushed him and it showed...

I agree completely Press, but who? The pickins are slim in the catcher department. Mirabelli hasn't proven that he's productive enough at the plate to justify giving him more duties other than handling Wakefield every 5th day. We landed a young catching prospect, George Kotteras, in the Wells to San Diego deal last year, but I'm not sure anyone knows what we have with him yet.

Varitek can't handle the workload that he's being asked to for the entire year. You just know that in July-August, he's going to go into a month long slump where he's 0 for the century. Our lineup isn't as strong this year as it has been the past few, I'm not so sure the rest of the lineup can handle that dead weight.

On a side note, no one's going to be laughing at that contract we gave Drew this year if he stays on the field. The guy is super talented, and there's no doubt we have the best 3-4-5 combination in the league.

Mainge
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Is Lowell really that bad?

FaninPatsyLand
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Is Lowell really that bad?

It's not that Lowell is that bad, it's more like I don't think the Red Sox can count on him to be productive for an entire year. For example, last year he was quite good pre-all star break, then his bat and numbers fell off the face of the earth in the 2nd half. He's been a notorious half of season player, and suffers from what we Red Sox fans like to call Johnny Damon-itis.

FIN-IN-RI
04-05-2007, 04:52 PM
also, did anyone notice Beckett REALLY relying on that curve last night like we all hoped? it was nasty, and effective... look the F out!!!...

I noticed that he was struggeling with it early on and instead of giving up on it, he stuck with it and started getting it over the plate - it's what I call a REALLY good sign.

Pedroia has impressed me with his contact hitting, spreading the ball around.

Mats' start today was very impressive in the way he painted the corners with his fastball - 10 k's in his first ML start, not too shabby. His control was damn good today, he really only missed on one pitch.

Totally agree on the Catcher situation. V-tek needs to be spelled one more time in the rotation and he needs to do something to get his batspeed up. You can't say that his hitting is suffering because of fatigue this early in the season.

I also think that the bullpen we have now, when Timlin is healthy, is as good as '04. Romero, Timlin, Donnely, Lopez, Papelbon and you can throw Tavares in the mix when Lester comes back. Q: Which reliever had the best ERA post All-star break last season? A: Javy Lopez.

FIN-IN-RI
04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
It's not that Lowell is that bad, it's more like I don't think the Red Sox can count on him to be productive for an entire year. For example, last year he was quite good pre-all star break, then his bat and numbers fell off the face of the earth in the 2nd half. He's been a notorious half of season player, and suffers from what we Red Sox fans like to call Johnny Damon-itis.

Agreed. What will take the pain away from Lowell falling off is if Crisp starts seeing the ball better, Drew stays healthy and Pedroia stays consistant. I think that there is a very good probability that at least 2 of those 3 scenarios will happen.

Ray Finkle
04-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka winning a baseball game and Jonathan Papelbon closing it out for him..... get use to it!

Rocky Raccoon
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
very impressive debut for Dice-K.

GreenMonster
04-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Agreed. What will take the pain away from Lowell falling off is if Crisp starts seeing the ball better, Drew stays healthy and Pedroia stays consistant. I think that there is a very good probability that at least 2 of those 3 scenarios will happen.

I also agree. I wouldn't feel that bad for Lowell if he was hitting 7th or 8th but its gonna be brutal to watch this guy come up 6th all year with Manny and Drew on base and do nothing. Todd Helton would have been perfect there.

Mainge
04-06-2007, 12:47 AM
I also agree. I wouldn't feel that bad for Lowell if he was hitting 7th or 8th but its gonna be brutal to watch this guy come up 6th all year with Manny and Drew on base and do nothing. Todd Helton would have been perfect there.

You know..prior to '05 (his big slump year) he was good all-year long with us.

Maybe last year was just a one year thing?

Ray Finkle
04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm just happy that we're out of KC. The Sox never play well there for whatever reason. I'll take 2 out of 3 any time no matter how bad of a team KC is.

Beckett pitched well on Wednesday although I think he threw too many pitches, it might have had something to do with the cold weather as he had trouble getting his curve over for strikes. But I liked his game plan, hopefully he sticks with it.

Daisuke reminds me of Pedro, bottom line. Personality wise, the way he just stands on the mound, how he can get all his off speed stuff for strikes. I can't wait to see this guy pitch next. He threw 1 bad pitch all day but man he was impressive.

I like how both Drew and Pedroia are hitting the ball well and playing good D. Coming into the season I felt that these were the two guys that needed to have fast starts or the fans would be calling for their heads. If Pedroia can hit .280 all year I'd do a back flip and if Drew can play 150 games I won't doubt he'd be very very productive. Also the knock on J.D. has been he'd rather take a walk than swing the bat but I believe he has 3 fast pitch hits so far this year, including a big first inning RBI double in last nights game. I think he's going to have a big year hitting behind Ortiz and Manny.

Ray Finkle
04-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Ah I just think Lowell is getting up there in age and just isn't the same hitter he was a few years ago.

Ray Finkle
04-06-2007, 01:04 AM
And I know it's only been 3 games and they have been against KC, but I really do think the foursome of Papelbon, Romero, Donnelly and the wild card Pineiro are going to be pretty good this year. Papelbon is obvious but I really like the way Romero is throwing the ball so far. And Donnelly is a gamer. I don't think the Sox will have the best pen by any means but I don't think they'll be as bad as people think.

GreenMonster
04-06-2007, 04:16 PM
We are being dominated by the Rangers 4th starter, what the heck is going on. Man our lineup looks stale, the only one hitting is J.D Drew. A great effort by Wakefield will be wasted unless we put up some runs in the 9th. At this point I would just take a 3rd hit.

Ray Finkle
04-06-2007, 04:49 PM
We are being dominated by the Rangers 4th starter, what the heck is going on. Man our lineup looks stale, the only one hitting is J.D Drew. A great effort by Wakefield will be wasted unless we put up some runs in the 9th. At this point I would just take a 3rd hit.

That's baseball for you, I mean Gil Meche and Tejeda shut down the Sox. Ortiz needs to start it up soon, he's struggling big time right now.

Ray Finkle
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Is Lester ready yet?

Another bad game but at least V-tek finally got a hit. Boy that bottom of the order is weak hitting. Maybe the Sox should explore that Helton deal now or anyone deal towards the deadline, possibly Texierria?

PressCoverage
04-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Is Lester ready yet?

Another bad game but at least V-tek finally got a hit. Boy that bottom of the order is weak hitting. Maybe the Sox should explore that Helton deal now or anyone deal towards the deadline, possibly Texierria?

simmer down now...

let's wait til we get home and things warm up a bit, both temperature and play ...

coming out of spring on the road and cold is never a good way to start the campaign... i'm confident this team is going to put a hurtin' on the AL slate this summer...

i like this team...

as for Tavarez, i thought he pitched... 'OK"... for a No. 5, we can live with him ... if we can ever consistently put up 5 runs... at least he's not gone mental the past year or so... he does have good stuff...

FIN-IN-RI
04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Is Lester ready yet?

Knowing that you have Lester waiting in the wings makes seeing Tavarez out there a little bit more bearable. It could be worse. We could be throwing out crap 1 thru 5 like the Yankees are. MY MAIN concern is Schill. I hope to see a nice bounce back game tonight.

Ray Finkle
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Knowing that you have Lester waiting in the wings makes seeing Tavarez out there a little bit more bearable. It could be worse. We could be throwing out crap 1 thru 5 like the Yankees are. MY MAIN concern is Schill. I hope to see a nice bounce back game tonight.

I agree this is a big start for Curt. He needs to be lights out tonight so the Sox can head into Fenway on a high note.

FIN-IN-RI
04-08-2007, 05:40 PM

I hope so. It could be age catching up to him as well.

FIN-IN-RI
04-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I agree this is a big start for Curt. He needs to be lights out tonight so the Sox can head into Fenway on a high note.

I just wish it would hurry up and get warm around here.

FaninPatsyLand
04-08-2007, 07:09 PM
JC Romero looked good last night.. haha, it's ok though cause I still believe by the end of the year we're going to look back on that signing as a great one.

I'm not concerned about the number 5 spot in the rotation for a couple of reasons. Tavarez isn't THAT bad... as long he keeps us in the game, it's the offenses job to win a game every 5th day or the lineup isn't earning it's collective paycheck. And also, like some of you mentioned before, he's just keeping the spot warm until Lester gets back to Boston.

Tonight is huge though, we gotta find a way to get this one. We can't get swept out of Texas before we head home for the opener at Fenway.

By the way, how do you spell Coco's middle name? L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y, the guy sucks.

FIN-IN-RI
04-08-2007, 07:25 PM
JC Romero looked good last night.. haha, it's ok though cause I still believe by the end of the year we're going to look back on that signing as a great one.

I'm not concerned about the number 5 spot in the rotation for a couple of reasons. Tavarez isn't THAT bad... as long he keeps us in the game, it's the offenses job to win a game every 5th day or the lineup isn't earning it's collective paycheck. And also, like some of you mentioned before, he's just keeping the spot warm until Lester gets back to Boston.

Tonight is huge though, we gotta find a way to get this one. We can't get swept out of Texas before we head home for the opener at Fenway.

By the way, how do you spell Coco's middle name? L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y, the guy sucks.

He has such a **ss* arm too.

You're right, Tavarez is not THAT bad but he gets rattled too easy. If not for Drew's 2 RBI error in the 3rd, we're talking a completely different ballgame. But yeah, the onus is on the offense every 5th day, no doubt.

Rocky Raccoon
04-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Papelbon is a BEAST

FaninPatsyLand
04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Papelbon is a BEAST

Dominating performance..

Ray Finkle
04-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Papelbon is nails. There's no closer in baseball not named Rivera and possibly K-Rod that I would hand the ball to every night with the game on the line. I admit I wanted Papelbon in the rotation very badly but tonight the decision to be closer has won me over. The guy was just dominate coming out of the pen and the Rangers had no chance.

Schilling looked good tonight so maybe his opening day start was just a one time deal with him. We need him along with Dice-K and Beckett.

Ortiz is back.

Ray Finkle
04-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Watching the pregame stuff on NESN right now makes me pretty jealous I can't be there on opening day. I hadn't missed a Red Sox opening day at Fenway from 1993 to 2004. Stinks now that it's almost impossible to get tickets.

Anyway there's nothing better than a game at Fenway (opening day, playoff game or not), walking on Yawkey Way before the game eating the sausage and peppers and taking in everything. Can't wait for my first trip at Fenway in '07.

Big start for Beckett today, hopefully he builds off his last start in KC. Interesting to see which player gets the biggest cheer. My guess is either Papi, Matsuzaka or Papelbon.

UCFinfan86
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Watching the pregame stuff on NESN right now makes me pretty jealous I can't be there on opening day. I hadn't missed a Red Sox opening day at Fenway from 1993 to 2004. Stinks now that it's almost impossible to get tickets.

Anyway there's nothing better than a game at Fenway (opening day, playoff game or not), walking on Yawkey Way before the game eating the sausage and peppers and taking in everything. Can't wait for my first trip at Fenway in '07.

Big start for Beckett today, hopefully he builds off his last start in KC. Interesting to see which player gets the biggest cheer. My guess is either Papi, Matsuzaka or Papelbon.

I would prolly say Matsuzaka, but i think Ortiz will be right up there

Ray Finkle
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Great seeing Johnny Pesky out there. Whata baseball guy. The Sox really should retire the guy's number. It's a crime they haven't yet they should bend their retired number rule just for him.

Rocky Raccoon
04-10-2007, 02:53 PM
what a great way to start the year at Fenway...5-0 Sox, bottom 2nd.

Ray Finkle
04-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Welcome to Fenway J.D. Drew.

GreenMonster
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
The bats coming alive is great, but Beckett may finally be putting it together. I am thrilled after seeing Beckett's 1st couple of starts.

Alex44
04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
The bats coming alive is great, but Beckett may finally be putting it together. I am thrilled after seeing Beckett's 1st couple of starts.

Not to take anything away from him but didn't he start very well last year also?

GreenMonster
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Not to take anything away from him but didn't he start very well last year also?

Yes he started off 3-0 last year with under 2.00 era, then got rocked in like 3 straight starts. This year is a little different, he is walking less people and throwing more breaking balls.

Ray Finkle
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Boy it's great to see Fenway again. Good win today, bats came alive and Beckett looked extremely good today. If he finally gets it together the Sox along with Schilling and Matsuzaka will be very very tough to beat.

P.S. Nice of Donnelly and Guillen to wake up the Fenway crowd a bit.

DonShula84
04-10-2007, 06:24 PM
hehe got to love Donnelly getting into it with Guillen :chuckle:

Ray Finkle
04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
hehe got to love Donnelly getting into it with Guillen :chuckle:

Yeah, Donnelly basically said it was because of Guillen calling out the entire 2004 Angels' pitching staff for not protecting him when he got hit.

Donnelly is a nut ball though and I love it.

DonShula84
04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Yeah, Donnelly basically said it was because of Guillen calling out the entire 2004 Angels' pitching staff for not protecting him when he got hit.

Donnelly is a nut ball though and I love it.

Yeah, Guillen hasnt had nice things to say about the Angels. He was the one who tipped off Robinson that Donnelly was using pine tar also.

King Felix
04-11-2007, 02:45 AM
i like guillen, nice little fire

didnt watch the game, not surprised by the final score. i mean it was jeff weaver, i could i expect any less?

Ray Finkle
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
i like guillen, nice little fire

didnt watch the game, not surprised by the final score. i mean it was jeff weaver, i could i expect any less?

I like Guillen too, I think when healthy he's a very good ball player. The problem is I think he lets his emotions get the best of him and he's his own worst enemy. I mean there's a reason why he's played for over 5 teams in 5 years.

Ray Finkle
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Matsuzaka time in Fenway in less than an hour, who else is excited? I wonder how much tickets are going for on the street today.

DonShula84
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Matsuzaka time in Fenway in less than an hour, who else is excited? I wonder how much tickets are going for on the street today.

I'm looking forward to seeing both Matsuzaka and King Felix, should be a good game.

On Sportscenter they said tickets were going for 5X the regular price I believe.

UCFinfan86
04-11-2007, 06:58 PM
This is gonna be a great game, can't wait for it to get started

FIN-IN-RI
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
The stadium was electric. What I would give to have been there for that first pitch.

What was the first pitch on ESPN? The world got to hear a snippet of the best baseball announcer duo. Lucky for them.

FIN-IN-RI
04-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Lester makes another strong start in minor league play

April 10, 2007

Jon Lester (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7790/) continued his rehab assignment for the Boston Red Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bos/) on Tuesday, throwing 51 pitches in four innings of play for the Class-A Greenville.

Lester retired the first eight batters he faced, striking out five in a 3-0 victory over the Columbus Catfish.
This was Lester's second rehab start for the Drive as he attempts to return to Boston's rotation after an offseason of cancer treatments. In his first start in Charleston on Thursday, Lester shut out the New York Yankees (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/nyy/)' affiliate, the Charleston RiverDogs, on two hits over four innings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-redsox-lester&prov=ap&type=lgns

UCFinfan86
04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
The stadium was electric. What I would give to have been there for that first pitch.

What was the first pitch on ESPN? The world got to hear a snippet of the best baseball announcer duo. Lucky for them.

I believe it was a curveball, it was deffintly an offspeed pitch

UCFinfan86
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Damn Dice K looked decent, but DAMN king felix is unhittable.

Ray Finkle
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Pathetic showing by the Sox line up. I know it's only been a few games but I'd bench Coco in favor of Wily Mo just to shake things up and add some pop to the bottom of the order which is automatic.

Matsuzaka didn't pitch bad at all. Giving up 3 runs in 7 innings should get you the W every day of the week. Daisuke's off speed stuff wasn't sharp tonight but he still looked good tonight. Wasn't dominate but was good.

When is King Felix a free agent? This kid might be finally coming into his own. 18 innings, 0 runs to start the season, giving up only 4 hits? Geez. Talk about a sleeper for Cy Young.

Tomorrow's game should be rained/snowed out based on the forecast.

Cool Calm Mike
04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
King Felix is dirty!

nyital571
04-11-2007, 10:23 PM
King Felix baby

AirMarino83
04-11-2007, 10:29 PM
felix hernandez is a ****in stud!

King Felix
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
strait dealin..........im going to change my name to king felix once culpepper or chambers get traded/cut or hurt for season again

In_Flames
04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
damn, Hernandez was straight up brutal tonight...:shakeno:

Ray Finkle
04-11-2007, 11:33 PM
damn, Hernandez was straight up brutal tonight...:shakeno:

So were the Sox offense, in a different type of brutal :wink:

FaninPatsyLand
04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I know it's only been a few games but I'd bench Coco in favor of Wily Mo just to shake things up and add some pop to the bottom of the order which is automatic.

Couldn't agree more.. Crisp has just been a disaster in Boston. Wily Mo could really spark this offense by bringing some pop to the bottom of the order. Also, Wily Mo played extremely well defensively in Centerfield last year.. it's not like we're going to miss much without Coco in the outfield.

GreenMonster
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Couldn't agree more.. Crisp has just been a disaster in Boston. Wily Mo could really spark this offense by bringing some pop to the bottom of the order. Also, Wily Mo played extremely well defensively in Centerfield last year.. it's not like we're going to miss much without Coco in the outfield.

Crisp isn't hitting, and I too would like to see Willy Mo get more AB's but as a team we are not hitting. We can't even get guys on to leave in scoring position like usually. The only guy we have swing the bat well in the lineup is Drew, we look pretty lost up there. Bring back "Papa Jack".

Ray Finkle
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Crisp isn't hitting, and I too would like to see Willy Mo get more AB's but as a team we are not hitting. We can't even get guys on to leave in scoring position like usually. The only guy we have swing the bat well in the lineup is Drew, we look pretty lost up there. Bring back "Papa Jack".

Actually both Manny and Ortiz have been swinging the bat very well too. They just have nothing to show for it. Ortiz is getting killed by that shift and Manny is hitting the ball hard just at people. Manny is going to have a huge game this weekend, I'm talking about a 2 HR, 4 RBI game to get going.

I think we all knew coming into the season that after Drew the line up was going to be a black hole, the FO has to do something about that.

In_Flames
04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
So were the Sox offense, in a different type of brutal :wink:
ain't that the truth...just pitiful yesterday :nono:

Ray Finkle
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
ain't that the truth...just pitiful yesterday :nono:

2 games this season (Wakefield's 1st start and Matsuzaka's 2nd) that the starters went 7 innings giving up 3 runs or less and still lost the game. Maybe it's the cold weather that's affecting the offense a little but they need to get hot soon.

DonShula84
04-13-2007, 03:03 AM
2 games this season (Wakefield's 1st start and Matsuzaka's 2nd) that the starters went 7 innings giving up 3 runs or less and still lost the game. Maybe it's the cold weather that's affecting the offense a little but they need to get hot soon.

Hopefully they stay cold for the next 4 days :wink:

Though you probably dont have to worry about the Angels offense scoring many runs if they keep hitting the way they have so 3 runs could be enough :(

Ray Finkle
04-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Hopefully they stay cold for the next 4 days :wink:

Though you probably dont have to worry about the Angels offense scoring many runs if they keep hitting the way they have so 3 runs could be enough :(

Should be a good series. I always look forward to playing the Angels. Hopefully OC (and maybe Shea) gets another huge standing O from the Fenway Faithful tonight.

I believe the Sox are throwing out Wakefield, Schilling, Beckett and Matsuzaka this weekend. Although I could be wrong due to the rain outs. I know Lackey is scheduled to pitched tonight, so that should be a good test to the Sox line up right off the bat. I heard Weaver is scheduled to start in Monday's game too.

P.S. Monday's game starts at 10:05 am eastern time, so you'll have to get up pretty early for that one Don :wink:

GreenMonster
04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Should be a good series. I always look forward to playing the Angels. Hopefully OC (and maybe Shea) gets another huge standing O from the Fenway Faithful tonight.

I believe the Sox are throwing out Wakefield, Schilling, Beckett and Matsuzaka this weekend. Although I could be wrong due to the rain outs. I know Lackey is scheduled to pitched tonight, so that should be a good test to the Sox line up right off the bat. I heard Weaver is scheduled to start in Monday's game too.

P.S. Monday's game starts at 10:05 am eastern time, so you'll have to get up pretty early for that one Don :wink:

Actually Julian Tavarez will pitch on Monday pushing Matsuzaka back to Tuesday. This also sets up Matsuzaka to pitch on Sunday night next week against the Yankees in the ESPN game. He'd then kick off the three-game series in the Bronx on April 27. Those will be great games to watch.

Can't wait for this weekends series, the bats need to wake up bigtime.

Ray Finkle
04-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Actually Julian Tavarez will pitch on Monday pushing Matsuzaka back to Tuesday. This also sets up Matsuzaka to pitch on Sunday night next week against the Yankees in the ESPN game. He'd then kick off the three-game series in the Bronx on April 27. Those will be great games to watch.

Sounds good to me, I'm trying to get tickets to that game in NY.

GreenMonster
04-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Sounds good to me, I'm trying to get tickets to that game in NY.

Ya that works out nicely almost. Gonna make it upto New Englad in July most likely, I will have to check out the schedule to see what games I can make. I will let you guys know, would be a great weekend. I am dying to get to the poker room at Foxwoods again.

Ray Finkle
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Ya that works out nicely almost. Gonna make it upto New Englad in July most likely, I will have to check out the schedule to see what games I can make. I will let you guys know, would be a great weekend. I am dying to get to the poker room at Foxwoods again.

Talk to Fin In RI he goes up to Foxwoods to play poker a lot I believe.

DonShula84
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM

I believe the Angels have Lackey, Escobar, Santana, Weaver going. Have to get up at 7 to see Weaver pitch :boohoo:

nm on Escobar I just saw the Angels placed him on the DL so Hector Carrasco will get the start.

FIN-IN-RI
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM

That's without anymore rainouts... Next week doesn't look so promising.

FIN-IN-RI
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Talk to Fin In RI he goes up to Foxwoods to play poker a lot I believe.

I usually go once every 2 weeks.

Ray Finkle
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Papelbon vs. Vlad tonight was a classic at bat. I hate how Francona keeps bringing him in in the 8th but I guess when he only has to throw 6 pitches, I can live with it.

Wakefield pitched good again tonight. A 4th starter going 7 innings and gives up less than 3 runs, I'll take that every single time. The Sox starters look good early this season so far.

EDIT: Nice to see the bats come alive and congrats to Timlin who pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the first time in what seems like 3 years.

Ray Finkle
04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Here's a pretty funny ESPN commerical with David Ortiz, Jorge Posada (yeah I know) and Wally The Green Monster. Check it out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnShow?showID=SRDA

GreenMonster
04-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Papelbon vs. Vlad tonight was a classic at bat. I hate how Francona keeps bringing him in in the 8th but I guess when he only has to throw 6 pitches, I can live with it.

Wakefield pitched good again tonight. A 4th starter going 7 innings and gives up less than 3 runs, I'll take that every single time. The Sox starters look good early this season so far.

EDIT: Nice to see the bats come alive and congrats to Timlin who pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the first time in what seems like 3 years.

Bringing in Papelbon last night in the 1st game of a 4 gamer with an early game Mon, was dumb with a 4-1 lead. If the game was 2-1 sure, but we have to trust these guys at some point, why not last night.

Wakefield has been great this year, hopefully he can continue this for a while.

Don't know if anyone has seen but Davern Hansack has been tearing it up in triple-A. John Lester had another good start the other day also.

FIN-IN-RI
04-14-2007, 10:25 AM
To Finkle and Monster:

When you have a weapon for a closer like that, you shouldn't let him watch the game get out of control in the 8th inning. I totally agree with Francona letting Paps come in with 1 out in the eighth when the game is on the line. That's what he's there for, to SAVE the game. I am ALL for trusting the other guys IF they can keep themselves out of jams late in close games! :2c:

Ray Finkle
04-14-2007, 11:56 AM
To Finkle and Monster:

When you have a weapon for a closer like that, you shouldn't let him watch the game get out of control in the 8th inning. I totally agree with Francona letting Paps come in with 1 out in the eighth when the game is on the line. That's what he's there for, to SAVE the game. I am ALL for trusting the other guys IF they can keep themselves out of jams late in close games! :2c:

I understand and agree with you however Francona burned Papelbon out last year by him doing this and when they moved Papelbon back into the closer's role they said they wouldn't be doing this crap to him. But hey maybe they know more about Papelbon then we do. Maybe he really did strengthen that shoulder a lot and can handle it. Maybe, but I'd rather watch Papelbon pitch in September and hopefully October. Monster is right, Francona needs to start trusting our other pitchers more. But the other pitchers need to step it up too.

FIN-IN-RI
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I understand and agree with you however Francona burned Papelbon out last year by him doing this and when they moved Papelbon back into the closer's role they said they wouldn't be doing this crap to him. But hey maybe they know more about Papelbon then we do. Maybe he really did strengthen that shoulder a lot and can handle it. Maybe, but I'd rather watch Papelbon pitch in September and hopefully October. Monster is right, Francona needs to start trusting our other pitchers more. But the other pitchers need to step it up too.

59 games and 68 innings pitched does not equate to overworking a closer. Don't forget that he was a rookie last season, a rookie closer at that.

GreenMonster
04-16-2007, 12:54 AM
What is the chance I am gonna get to watch this game in the morning. They said the marathon is going on rain or shine.

FaninPatsyLand
04-16-2007, 01:03 AM
What is the chance I am gonna get to watch this game in the morning. They said the marathon is going on rain or shine.

Not very good..

It's still pouring here and according to weather reports, isn't supposed to let up anytime soon. I guess the rain won't be as heavy tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure it's going to let up enough to get this game in..

DonShula84
04-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Not very good..

It's still pouring here and according to weather reports, isn't supposed to let up anytime soon. I guess the rain won't be as heavy tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure it's going to let up enough to get this game in..

For the Angels I'm thinking that's a good thing right now

Rocky Raccoon
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Sox game got pushed back because of the rain. And who knows if it will even stop.

Either way, that's not going to be good for business.

Ray Finkle
04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Sox game got pushed back because of the rain. And who knows if it will even stop.

Either way, that's not going to be good for business.

It's not going to be good for anyone.

I doubt the game will get in, the field just looks like a mess.

Rocky Raccoon
04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
It's not going to be good for anyone.

I doubt the game will get in, the field just looks like a mess.

:hi5:

FIN-IN-RI
04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
12:15 start time.

Ray Finkle
04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
MLB has to do something about these umps trying to take the game into their own hands with their ego/power trips. Beckett hits Vlad on a 0-2 pitch and both benches get warned? Stupid, it's not like he was trying to hit the guy, especially on an 0-2 pitch.

It takes the inside half away from both pitchers.

FIN-IN-RI
04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the game.

Did Beckett look shakey or what? 100 pitches in 6 innings?

nyital571
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Can't wait for the blisters on beckets hands to form.

Ray Finkle
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the game.

Did Beckett look shakey or what? 100 pitches in 6 innings?

No he looked good. Not quite as good as against the Mariners but still good.

Vertical Limit
04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
:shakeno: Shut up.

GreenMonster
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Are these the same blisters he had a problem with last year. 3 good outing's in a row now for Beckett, he maybe finally adjusting.

FaninPatsyLand
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM

And us Red Sox fans wouldn't trade a blistered Beckett for your entire rotation.. :lol:

The Yankees suck.. that is all.

FIN-IN-RI
04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
And us Red Sox fans wouldn't trade a blistered Beckett for your entire rotation.. :lol:

The Yankees suck.. that is all.

What was the +/- on Pavano going to the DL? 2 starts? Eh.. I took the under.

FaninPatsyLand
04-16-2007, 05:34 PM
What was the +/- on Pavano going to the DL? 2 starts? Eh.. I took the under.

To quote Gary Sheffield, the guy is a "walking disaster"..

What a phenomenal staff they have there in the toilet, it's really going to take them somewhere meaningful.

FIN-IN-RI
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
To quote Gary Sheffield, the guy is a "walking disaster"..

What a phenomenal staff they have there in the toilet, it's really going to take them somewhere meaningful.

Oh but don't worry because once they get the Great Chang Mang Wang back off of the DL, they'll be World Series bound. :rofl:

What a joke.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Interesting start for Daisuke tonight for a couple of reasons which were brought up by either Remy, Eck or Steve Phillips the other day.

1. He's finally pitching in a dome, which he's done in Japan.

2. This is the first time he's pitching against a team he didn't get to see play the day before. In his first start he got to see the KC hitters 2 days before he pitched and against Seattle he got to see them 1 day before he pitched. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not.

Should be a good game. Blue Jays seem to beat us up, it would be nice to go into Canada and send them a message early.

GreenMonster
04-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Interesting start for Daisuke tonight for a couple of reasons which were brought up by either Remy, Eck or Steve Phillips the other day.

1. He's finally pitching in a dome, which he's done in Japan.

2. This is the first time he's pitching against a team he didn't get to see play the day before. In his first start he got to see the KC hitters 2 days before he pitched and against Seattle he got to see them 1 day before he pitched. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not.

Should be a good game. Blue Jays seem to beat us up, it would be nice to go into Canada and send them a message early.

Well atleast the Jays can't throw Ted Lilly at us this year, that like 3-4 wins right there. This series with the Jays will be my 1st look at Adam Lind, Reed Johnson might lose a spot in the lineup if he plays upto his potential. The Jays are pretty beat up right now, we need to get atleast 2/3.

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Bottom 2nd- Pinpoint location by Dice. Tek's glove didn't move an inch from where he was set.

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Bottom 4th- The pitch was inside - ump made the right call.. Single by Wells(?) should have been scored an error on Lugo.. bull**** call..

Bottom line - Dice K got rattled. The game could have been blown WIDE open. Interesting to see how this plays out.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Bottom 4th- The pitch was inside - ump made the right call.. Single by Wells(?) should have been scored an error on Lugo.. bull**** call..

Bottom line - Dice K got rattled. The game could have been blown WIDE open. Interesting to see how this plays out.

Agreed. Dice-K was clearly rattled by that inning when he was cruising through the game looking very good. I guess it's good he got it out of his system in Canada instead of in a sold out crowd in Fenway or Yankee Stadium.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Good bounce back inning, striking out the side. 9 K's through 5 innings. Now let's get some runs so he can get a W.

nyital571
04-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Wang is better then any pitcher on your staff. Our vets will get healthy don't worry. And Pavano has pitched what less then 20 games for us cutting him down really has no affect on most yankee fans. We'l call up Phil hughes and Get Roger Clemens and you know we'll make a trade for an arm we'll be fine. And of course Beckets playin good right now HE'S A REDSOCK. All redsox play good in april and may your the world champions of april.While we turn it up in agust and sept like your supposed to. Remember the boston massacre last august?...... I thought so.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Wang is better then any pitcher on your staff. Our vets will get healthy don't worry. And Pavano has pitched what less then 20 games for us cutting him down really has no affect on most yankee fans. We'l call up Phil hughes and Get Roger Clemens and you know we'll make a trade for an arm we'll be fine. And of course Beckets playin good right now HE'S A REDSOCK. All redsox play good in april and may your the world champions of april.While we turn it up in agust and sept like your supposed to. Remember the boston massacre last august?...... I thought so.

Who cares IF Wang is better than anyone on our staff, even if that is true, which is extremely debatable. Go ahead and get Clemens, call up Hughes, make a trade for an arm, do it all.

Yup the Red Sox are the champions in April, we're all aware. Good for the Yankees turning it up in August and September but you forget that the team goes to sleep in October and our home by the time the ALCS starts.

Yes we remember the Boston Massacre last August, do you remember 2004? What's your point? That's all in the past, what matters is 2007 right now.

I sense extremely jealously right now that the Sox got Matsuzaka and the Yankees are stuck with Iwaga. As I have no idea why this little rant would be posted now.

nyital571
04-17-2007, 09:24 PM
haha Dice_k is unproven I really don't care theres no jealousy. Just reacting to some redsox fans chirping. I actually like your Dicek and jd drew signings. It makes you in the same boat as us as far as outragous spending and will take away one less argument when we win the division again.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
haha Dice_k is unproven I really don't care theres no jealousy. Just reacting to some redsox fans chirping. I actually like your Dicek and jd drew signings. It makes you in the same boat as us as far as outragous spending and will take away one less argument when we win the division again.

You're new here so I can assure you that last October when the Yankees won the division there were no Red Sox fans complaining about the Yankees' payroll as the Red Sox have always been 2 or 3 in spending in the MLB.

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Agreed, it would have been a lot easier to just do that.

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Ahh.. anemic on offense tonight. Leave it to Francona to shake up the line-up while the offense is hot.

See if Manny can bring us a little late game magic here.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Ahh.. anemic on offense tonight. Leave it to Francona to shake up the line-up while the offense is hot.

See if Manny can bring us a little late game magic here.

On the plus side, Coco and V-tek got hits tonight. I still think Wily Mo should be in the line up 5 times a week.

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
On the plus side, Coco and V-tek got hits tonight. I still think Wily Mo should be in the line up 5 times a week.

I think we'd be just as frustrated with him as we are with Crisp. Maybe even more considering Willy Mo's adventures in the Field.

Ellsbury will be up before we know it though. Next year hopefully. No more CF discussions for a LOOOOONG time once he arrives. :wink:

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Tough Loss tonight. Tough Loss for Matsuzaka. Don't tell me that he's going to be the new Wakefield RE: Run support.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Another poor offensive night tonight. Matsuzaka pitched very well and deserved the win tonight. A call one way or the other and a better bounce and this game could have been ours, but that's baseball. Matsuzaka hasn't gotten any offensive support the past two games and could easily be 3-0 with a very impressive ERA. Still though I'm glad he's on my team.

I think it showed a lot of character for Daisuke to bounce back from that rough inning and just sit down the Jays.

FIN-IN-RI
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Another poor offensive night tonight. Matsuzaka pitched very well and deserved the win tonight. A call one way or the other and a better bounce and this game could have been ours, but that's baseball. Matsuzaka hasn't gotten any offensive support the past two games and could easily be 3-0 with a very impressive ERA. Still though I'm glad he's on my team.

I think it showed a lot of character for Daisuke to bounce back from that rough inning and just sit down the Jays.

Even with that very poor (for Dice's standards) 4th inning, his pitching line still looks very good.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a frustrating season.

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Even with that very poor (for Dice's standards) 4th inning, his pitching line still looks very good.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a frustrating season.

Hitting wise, I'll agree, especially anyone after Drew in the order. Right now, the big 3 look very very good. The pen even looks decent too.

And yes any pitcher nowadays would kill for a line that reads: 6 IP, 3 hits, 3 BB, 10 K, 2 ER.

UCFinfan86
04-17-2007, 10:28 PM

You are very annoying, you basically repeat everything you hear from MikeO, but in an elementary way.

FaninPatsyLand
04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Wang is better then any pitcher on your staff. Our vets will get healthy don't worry.

Your vets will get healthy and what? Lose in the ALDS? Oh no, the rest of the American League is shaking in their boots...

FYI, if you'd take Wang over Schilling in a "big game", you're delusional.

FaninPatsyLand
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Is anyone surprised that our offense was stymied by Gustavo Chacin? The Blue Jays have our number, but it was good to see another very solid outing from Daisuke.

Our pitching thus far has been extremely encouraging and when the bats get rolling.. watch out.

FaninPatsyLand
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM

Ah yes, this is true.

To quote Bill Simmons, those signings basically eliminated the difference between the Red Sox and Yankees.. except, Red Sox fans have jobs.

nyital571
04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Actually right now I would take wang over schilling in a playof game. I'd feel much more comfortable pitching wang with over 200 innings under his belt over a season then Schilling at this point.

FaninPatsyLand
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Actually right now I would take wang over schilling in a playof game. I'd feel much more comfortable pitching wang with over 200 innings under his belt over a season then Schilling at this point.

This comment coming when its WANG on the DL as of today (who also happens to have major arm problems "under his belt").

Priceless... you're on a roll..

Ray Finkle
04-17-2007, 11:06 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/homersimpson5-1.jpg

Are you serious? That's the biggest homer statement I've heard in a long long time. Dude come on that's like someone saying they'd take J.J. Putz over Rivera in a playoff game, because Putz had a big year last year much like Wang did. Wang has had 1 big year so far, 1 year and hasn't proven much in the playoffs yet. Schilling was pitching and winning big games his whole career. Look up Schilling's playoff numbers first before you embarass yourself with statements like that. Schilling is only one of the biggest big game pitchers in the history of baseball. But by all means take Wang in a big game, because you'll be sitting on the couch with him watching the ALCS if you pick him over Schilling.

nyital571
04-17-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm not obviously basing this off past preformances in the playoffs. I'm basing this on I think Schilling is on the verge of being shot as a pitcher. Three years ago Schilling would be on my list of starting pitchers for a big game. # years ago yea. But today I think he's close to being shot. I think a whole season of pitching might send him over th edge. I bet Schilling will be getting dialed up in August. I'm not makin a homer statement I'd take Alotta guys over schilling I wouldn't have a couple years ago. And If you'd start him over Wang this postseason you'd be the one watching it from home after that game in my opinion.

Rocky Raccoon
04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm not obviously basing this off past preformances in the playoffs. I'm basing this on I think Schilling is on the verge of being shot as a pitcher. Three years ago Schilling would be on my list of starting pitchers for a big game. # years ago yea. But today I think he's close to being shot. I think a whole season of pitching might send him over th edge. I bet Schilling will be getting dialed up in August. I'm not makin a homer statement I'd take Alotta guys over schilling I wouldn't have a couple years ago. And If you'd start him over Wang this postseason you'd be the one watching it from home after that game in my opinion.

lets wait until Wang actually pitches this year before making a statement like that.

nyital571
04-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Alright Rocky thats a fair statement. But I still think Schilling is on his last legs as a pitcher.

Rocky Raccoon
04-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Alright Rocky thats a fair statement. But I still think Schilling is on his last legs as a pitcher.

he may be for sure, only time will tell :)

GreenMonster
04-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Man that was brutal last night. If our bats could get going we would be off because we are pitching great. Okajima has been great so far, he looks like he could be a great 7th inning guy, nobody has been hitting him hard yet.

FIN-IN-RI
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm basing this on I think Schilling is on the verge of being shot as a pitcher. .

:lol:

Sorry. All I can do is laugh at you.

Your basing something on something that you "think". WTF do you know? No one cares or believes what you think.

nyital571
04-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey Fin in RI I bet you 200 Phin Dollars that schilling doesn't win 13 games this year. Is it a deal?

FIN-IN-RI
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey Fin in RI I bet you 200 Phin Dollars that schilling doesn't win 13 games this year. Is it a deal?

What are you? 12 years old?

Make it 10,000. And yeah, it's a deal. :lol:

Ray Finkle
04-18-2007, 12:47 PM

That's a bad bet. At least set it to 15 or 16 games. You're selling him very low.

Rocky Raccoon
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
That's a bad bet. At least set it to 15 or 16 games. You're selling him very low.

shut it uppy Finkle, it's easy money for RI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Finkle
04-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Another impressive outing by Wakefield. Papelbon again was lights out striking out 3. Ortiz, Lowell, and Mirabelli go yard.

The only negative is the bats were quiet against Ohka the first half of the game when really they should have pounded him. The Sox are having trouble hitting away from Fenway.

Tomorrow should be dangerous with Taveraz pitching about Halladay. Too bad it can't rain in the Roger's Centre.

FaninPatsyLand
04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Outstanding job finding a way to win this game and this series. We wasted a very good performance from Daisuke on Tuesday, but we bounced back on Wednesday and then found a way to win today (something we had no business doing).

By the way, Alex Cora is such a good player. Whenever Tito gives him the chance to play, he always finds a way to impact the outcome of the game in a positive way.

GreenMonster
04-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Outstanding job finding a way to win this game and this series. We wasted a very good performance from Daisuke on Tuesday, but we bounced back on Wednesday and then found a way to win today (something we had no business doing).

By the way, Alex Cora is such a good player. Whenever Tito gives him the chance to play, he always finds a way to impact the outcome of the game in a positive way.

Cora is a beast of the bench. Did you see him turn that double play, that was the play of the game.

Ray Finkle
04-19-2007, 11:29 PM
The only thing that bothered me today was Francona giving the ball to Timlin in a tie game in the 8th inning. There's no reason for him getting it in that situation. He hasn't shown he can handle that role and nearly blew it. Donnelly has impressed so far, and I'm assuming he wasn't available today but in the future, he should get the ball until Timlin proves himself.

Anyway Lester is making his last A ball start today or tomorrow, then he'll pitch in Triple A on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hannsack has been pitching pretty well in Triple A so he's putting pressure on Taveraz, who pitched very well today.

The Big 3 go this weekend. I hope the bats, specially the bottom of the order, heat up. I am nervous about Friday and Sunday's games as lefties are going on the mound and the Sox have major problems with them. Hopefully the Sox can cool off NY's hot bats.

GreenMonster
04-19-2007, 11:53 PM
I totally agree about Timlin, please stop using him in tough spots, or anytime in the 8th or 9th inning. Donnelly so far looks decent enough to be a setup guy this year, we need to find someone quick so Tito isn't calling Papelbon's name in the 8th inning this year. In other news, Papelbon is just a beast out of the pen. Watching him just throw it by hitters is pure joy, and he is absolutley nails at the end of the game. He looks even better than last year if that is possible.

Ray Finkle
04-19-2007, 11:59 PM
I totally agree about Timlin, please stop using him in tough spots, or anytime in the 8th or 9th inning. Donnelly so far looks decent enough to be a setup guy this year, we need to find someone quick so Tito isn't calling Papelbon's name in the 8th inning this year. In other news, Papelbon is just a beast out of the pen. Watching him just throw it by hitters is pure joy, and he is absolutley nails at the end of the game. He looks even better than last year if that is possible.

It's scary watching Papelbon pitch. I mean the guy is just flat out dominate. The hitters can't even touch him. If he stays healthy there's no reason why he can't be a top 3 closer. The guy just has great stuff.

I wonder how Hansen and Delcarmen are doing in the minors.

GreenMonster
04-20-2007, 12:13 AM
It's scary watching Papelbon pitch. I mean the guy is just flat out dominate. The hitters can't even touch him. If he stays healthy there's no reason why he can't be a top 3 closer. The guy just has great stuff.

I wonder how Hansen and Delcarmen are doing in the minors.

Well here are some:

Hansack: 10.2 inn 1 ER 3 BB 20 K's

Delcarmen: 7.2 inn 2 ER 3 BB 11 K's

Hansen: 5.0 inn 1 ER 4 BB 6 K's

Some things that stand out are, WOW Hansack has been lighting folks up. Delcarmen seems to being doing well with only 3 BB and 11 K's. Hansen sadly doesn't have enough control yet to be effective. He will most likely be in the minors all year if Hansack keeps pitching the way he is. I hope Gagne stays healthy all year so we can have a shot at Otsuka.

FaninPatsyLand
04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Onto the Yankees.. Fenway is going to be electric for this weekend series. We know that Arod is going to be verbally abused during his stay in Boston, hopefully it rattles him a bit and he comes out of the comfort zone he's in. (Schilling buzzing him in his first AB would go a long way towards that as well.. ala Matsui in the 2004 ALCS)

If he gets off to a slow start tonight, it could potentially snowball into a rough series.

I'm still not buying this fast start he's off to right now, everyone already knew before this season that he was a GREAT regular season player, but lets see him do it when the chips are down. In a big situation, he's still the Yankee I want up at the plate.

Ray Finkle
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Should be a fun series this weekend (and next). Will be interesting to see how the Big 3 do against that juggernut line up the Yankees have. It's too bad that all of the Yankees Big 3 of Wang, Mussina and Pettite aren't going this weekend. I am however worried about the bats against Pettite and Chase Wright. The Sox NEVER hit lefties (especially ones they haven't seen before either). Hopefully Wily Mo is in the line up tonight and Sunday.

The key to this series (for both teams really) is getting to the Yankees starters out of the game early and getting into that bullpen. The Yanks bullpen has been pretty good, I believe their pen has the best ERA in the MLB so far but they also have thrown the most innings.

Ray Finkle
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Frustrating game so far. Bats are dead, rallies getting killed. Schilling didn't look right on the mound and was missing his spots etc. I'm shocked Coco didn't kill himself on that 2nd Arod homer.

GreenMonster
04-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Frustrating game so far. Bats are dead, rallies getting killed. Schilling didn't look right on the mound and was missing his spots etc. I'm shocked Coco didn't kill himself on that 2nd Arod homer.

What a game.. Sox looked dead till the 8th, then beat the heck out of Yankee relievers. Okjima has been nails so far, man he has looked good.