PDA

View Full Version : Kiper's 1/31 Big Board

motioncityhifi
01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
enjoy.....

Crowder52
01-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Reggie Nelson drops 5 spots and AP jumps Jamarcus Russell and Quinn for no apparent reason...

motioncityhifi
01-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Reggie Nelson drops 5 spots and AP jumps Jamarcus Russell and Quinn for no apparent reason...

well kiper could be looking over the film for the year....i wouldnt say he is dropping them because he felt the need.

HysterikiLL
01-31-2007, 08:36 PM
I really want Johnson. Badly.

Crowder52
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
well kiper could be looking over the film for the year....i wouldnt say he is dropping them because he felt the need.

I feel like he just shifts his board up so people feel the need to go back and check frequently. There is no way players could move that far, that fast unless they had a disastrous combine or Senior Bowl week.

PHAZINPHINZPHAN
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Trade down if Russell & Gaines are gone

jbyrd423
01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
mel kiper is a joke, theres no way these shifts can happen out of the blue... hes probly just tryin to make some publicity

VT Dolphan
01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Trade down if Russell & Gaines are gone

I can assure you Russell will be gone. I'm praying Adams or Quinn is still there though, I would be ecstatic if we could land one of those two.

Rubbin420
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I dont think people realize the amount of talent we have at the 9th pick. As much as I would like to see Russell or Quinn to fall into our lap, its unlikely.
If they are both gone, how about a Levi Brown or a Gaines Adams or Okoye (His weight is light for a 3-4, but they said the same thing about Zach and Taylor.)

Kyndig
01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
I feel like he just shifts his board up so people feel the need to go back and check frequently. There is no way players could move that far, that fast unless they had a disastrous combine or Senior Bowl week.

most of the movement does look like it was based off of the senior bowl, and why not? It will also move again after the combine...

twg76
01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
I think everyone needs to forget about Russell and Quinn. Don't waste your time. They will go before #9. Both could be franchise QBs for a team.

DUB
01-31-2007, 09:51 PM
I can assure you Russell will be gone. I'm praying Adams or Quinn is still there though, I would be ecstatic if we could land one of those two.

These two and jarrett are atop my list.

sports24/7
01-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Peterson hasn't jumped them for no apparent reason. For a couple of weeks now Kiper has said in his chats that Peterson's stock is rising and will probably continue to do so. He seems to think that he will probably be a top 5 pick and he may be the guy teams try and trade up to get. He is very high on him and apparently feels the injury is a non-issue.

DrewOldSchool
01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I've completely lost faith in Mel Kiper Jr. He had Tony Ugoh at 16 and the second highest OT in the draft not a month ago. Now Levi Brown is at 14 and Ugoh isn't even among the top 25. He should give up on the ESPN job and make waffles for a living.

SR 7
01-31-2007, 10:13 PM
adams for SOLB and save the money on an OLB in FA and spend it elsewehre.

SR 7
01-31-2007, 10:13 PM
I've completely lost faith in Mel Kiper Jr. He had Tony Ugoh at 16 and the second highest OT in the draft not a month ago. Now Levi Brown is at 14 and Ugoh isn't even among the top 25. He should give up on the ESPN job and make waffles for a living.

thats b/c Ugoh didnt live up to his potential at the SR bowl week. e vreyone has him dropping.

Joneal7
01-31-2007, 10:17 PM
can Gaines Adams actually play OLB in the 3-4 if thats what we are gonna use

IluvJuMiami
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
enjoy.....

Thanks for hookin up the insider info Motion. I really appreciate it brotha.

Patbchln
01-31-2007, 10:51 PM
johnson would be great but ginn is the realistic oppurtunity dont want to trade up to expensive probably

rickysdreads
01-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Jarrett = Mike Williams

Same abilities...same slowness....not just the same school

PASS!!!

motioncityhifi
01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Jarrett = Mike Williams

PASS!!!

actually they both went to usc.

motioncityhifi
01-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for hookin up the insider info Motion. I really appreciate it brotha.

anytime man......ill try to keep everyone up to date with the insider stuff as much as i can.

Mr772
01-31-2007, 11:39 PM

Ugoh was abused regularly during the seinor bowl and the practices leading up to it.

SR 7
02-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Jarrett = Mike Williams

PASS!!!

tahts what worries me a lot.

phinphanforever
02-01-2007, 12:09 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if the draft followed Mel's board. I'd be happy to see Okoye here. He has more upside than almost anybody in this draft. He could turn out to be a monster.

DolphanD
02-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Man I hope we do not switch to a permanent 3-4 under Dom Capers. The hybrid is good because it causes opposing offenses to gameplan for both defenses but if anyone saw the Texans attempt to put together a dominate 3-4 defense while in Houston, (or even a solid one while in Houston) would know that it is was a complete disastrous joke of a defense that is far-too complex for the defensive players and they constantly make mental errors. And then there's the lack of a pass-rush from the LBs...I could go on but now that Dan Quinn has been fired I think Wayne H. gave Dom a little too much power on the defensive side of the ball and this will cause an early retirement for JT(possibly why he has already mentioned retirement, because if we go 3-4 all the time he's outta here) and ZT, or atleast ZT will go to another team to finish his career. The 3-4 ran exclusively would suck in our case-(atleast with our personnel and if you look to Capers recent 3-4 defenses) And like I just stated we don't have the personnel at DL and especially not at LB to make the switch anytime soon. If we do switch to the 3-4 exclusively (and prematurely)then almost half of our picks will have to be on LBs, big ones for the middle (which we don't have), and DE/OLB types on the outside which helps explain why we signed a former Chargers DE/OLB in Akbar Gbaja-Biamila a few days ago. The switch is coming and when it does we can eventually say goodbye to the only positive thing we had going for us on this team. Well it had to come sooner or later but after watching the Texans here in Houston during the Dom Capers days, Phin Fans will not want to see this guy coaching all 3 years he is signed for. Well looks like we will be drafting guys like Adam Carriker and Alan Branch instead of Jamaal Anderson and Amobi Okoye on the DL.

Phinz4Life
02-01-2007, 12:53 AM
I would think Patrick Willis should be up there...

Crowder52
02-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Peterson hasn't jumped them for no apparent reason. For a couple of weeks now Kiper has said in his chats that Peterson's stock is rising and will probably continue to do so. He seems to think that he will probably be a top 5 pick and he may be the guy teams try and trade up to get. He is very high on him and apparently feels the injury is a non-issue.

Neither Peterson nor Quinn or Russell has played a down of football since his last Big Board update. Why would he jump them now? Makes no sense...

Crowder52
02-01-2007, 01:27 AM
most of the movement does look like it was based off of the senior bowl, and why not? It will also move again after the combine...

Again, no it is not based on the Senior Bowl for the instances I mentioned. Peterson hasn't done anything to warrant a jump, and players like Ginn and Landry jumped Nelson. None of them played in the Senior Bowl. He had Landry 5 spots behind Nelson on the last Big Board, and now he is in front of him. Looks nothing short of haphazard to me.

TampaFinsFan01
02-01-2007, 02:16 AM

Ugoh's stock dropped after the Senior Bowl. Brown was steady. I think thats a fair placement, Brown in the middle of rd one and Ugoh at the bottom of round one.

TampaFinsFan01
02-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Again, no it is not based on the Senior Bowl for the instances I mentioned. Peterson hasn't done anything to warrant a jump, and players like Ginn and Landry jumped Nelson. None of them played in the Senior Bowl. He had Landry 5 spots behind Nelson on the last Big Board, and now he is in front of him. Looks nothing short of haphazard to me.

There are alot of reasons for one or two players to jump. Maybe Kiper talked to alot scouts and they brought up issues he hadn't seen before. Maybe there are character issues or work-ethics, or something else. Just like after the Sugar Bowl, I think alot of people are looking at Quinn differently, and Russell's sheer athletic ability really leaped out.

The board will probably change a half dozen more times as guys go through workouts before the draft.

Roman529
02-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Seems like Mel and most of the "experts" are just guessing after the first 10 spots or so. It is strange how one game can move a guy up or down as much as you see guys moving on Mel's boards. I think Mel is just trying to cover all bases. :rolleyes:

Crowder52
02-01-2007, 02:23 AM
There are alot of reasons for one or two players to jump. Maybe Kiper talked to alot scouts and they brought up issues he hadn't seen before. Maybe there are character issues or work-ethics, or something else. Just like after the Sugar Bowl, I think alot of people are looking at Quinn differently, and Russell's sheer athletic ability really leaped out.

The board will probably change a half dozen more times as guys go through workouts before the draft.

Russell's athletic ability leaped out, so he dropped him behind Peterson? You must not have understood my original post.

Crowder52
02-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Seems like Mel and most of the "experts" are just guessing after the first 10 spots or so. It is strange how one game can move a guy up or down as much as you see guys moving on Mel's boards. I think Mel is just trying to cover all bases. :rolleyes:

:yes:

RenoFinFan
02-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Jarrett = Mike Williams

PASS!!!
Wrong! Two totally different players and situations. Mike Williams didn't get to play the year before being drafted, allowed himself to get out of shape during the year and then ended going to the most disorganized team in the NFL. I recall reading an ESPN article in which Michael Smith interviewed Matt Millen during Williams rookie year and asked Millen about Williams tardiness to meetings and Millen's response was something to the effect, "He's young, boys will be boys." How does an undisciplined kid succeed in a system like that? They don't! Jarrett has not shown any of the immaturity or lack of discipline that Williams has shown. A totally unfair comparison. Jarrett didn't look too slow against Texas in the Championship game two years ago against Huff and Gibson and he didn't look too slow in the Rose Bowl against Hall this year.

uga3406
02-01-2007, 02:48 AM
I dont think people realize the amount of talent we have at the 9th pick. As much as I would like to see Russell or Quinn to fall into our lap, its unlikely.
If they are both gone, how about a Levi Brown or a Gaines Adams or Okoye (His weight is light for a 3-4, but they said the same thing about Zach and Taylor.)

i would not be shocked to see quinn slide down to # 9..i have a gut feeling no this 1...

JAXDOLPHAN
02-01-2007, 09:21 AM

Tony Ugoh got schooled at the Senior Bowl and had a horrible Senior Bowl week. No surprise his stock has dropped.

Motion
02-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Blah......... No big deal. Boards will change daily for the next 3 months.

KyPhinfan13
02-01-2007, 09:38 AM
What some of you guys are forgetting is that Kiper is not posting a mock draft. Kiper's lists are what order he thinks players should be in based on their ability relative to all other positions--in other words, the players talent.

O'townPhinFan
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I really want Johnson. Badly.

SAme here but that is a huge pipe dream. No way he gets out of the top 5.

BKS11
02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Mel Kiper Jr is brilliant. Not because he has a clue what he is talking about, which we all think he doesn't, but because he has all of us saying his name. I would rearrange my list everyday just to pick people coming back.

The Confessor
02-01-2007, 10:35 AM
SAme here but that is a huge pipe dream. No way he gets out of the top 5.

Agreed and agreed. That being said, there is going to still be TONS of talent left at 9. Figure Quinn and Russell, Peterson, Landry, Johnson, Patrick Willis....tons of talent still at nine me things

Motion
02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Agreed and agreed. That being said, there is going to still be TONS of talent left at 9. Figure Quinn and Russell, Peterson, Landry, Johnson, Patrick Willis....tons of talent still at nine me things

:eek: I sure hope you don't think all those guys will be available at 9. Wow!

newlownorder
02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Ross shouldn't be on there at all

Phantom
02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
8. Ted Ginn Jr. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=156844)*, WR, OhioState (5-11, 175) | previous: 9
Takes a backseat to no one in the speed department, brings a big-play dimension to the wide receiver position and also the return game....... That sure sounds like a need for this offense and return game..............

FinaticalOne
02-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Ugoh deserves to drop down after his Senior Bowl week performance. He did nothing to help his stock.

Brown was the one of two (the other is Ryan Kalil) of the most dominant lineman in Mobile and deserves some recognition.

TampaFinsFan01
02-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Russell's athletic ability leaped out, so he dropped him behind Peterson? You must not have understood my original post.

I was giving an example of why people move or fall. In JR case, his performance in that game along with his freakish physical attributes make him jump to the top of boards that may have had him in the 10-15 range.

I can't argue with AP being on the top of the board, esp if hes got his weight down and his quickness up. I usually don't like measurables, but in APs case, we saw him as a freshman and soph go crazy. So we know he can play. If hes in shape, his future is as good as anyones.

Now if the Raiders take AP #1, thats going to change everyones draft board. I think without a doubt the Lions would take JR, even though they need a oline help and a JT would be available.

I cannot concieve a scenario where JR slips past the Browns. If nothing else, someone would move to the #3 spot to take him.

I still think JR goes to the Raiders, JT to the Lions, AP to the Browns and CJ to the Bucs.

TampaFinsFan01
02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Blah......... No big deal. Boards will change daily for the next 3 months.

Exactly...there is an entire profession of coaches who now get players ready for their "pro workouts" designed entirely to help their draft status. It is surely going to change as someone unexpectedly runs a fast/slow 40.

Crowder52
02-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I was giving an example of why people move or fall. In JR case, his performance in that game along with his freakish physical attributes make him jump to the top of boards that may have had him in the 10-15 range.

I can't argue with AP being on the top of the board, esp if hes got his weight down and his quickness up. I usually don't like measurables, but in APs case, we saw him as a freshman and soph go crazy. So we know he can play. If hes in shape, his future is as good as anyones.

Now if the Raiders take AP #1, thats going to change everyones draft board. I think without a doubt the Lions would take JR, even though they need a oline help and a JT would be available.

I cannot concieve a scenario where JR slips past the Browns. If nothing else, someone would move to the #3 spot to take him.

I still think JR goes to the Raiders, JT to the Lions, AP to the Browns and CJ to the Bucs.

You didn't even look at the Big Board, did you? Jamarcus Russell moved down, and you're giving me reasons why he should have moved up.

JFoxx
02-01-2007, 12:27 PM
We need to remember that this is his opinion as to where they rank at this time in talent/potential. It doesn't matter what team has what need or what makes sense for them to pick, it's strictly his opinion as to talent and current draft stock. I guarantee this list and the list every team have on their own will change 10 times before draft day. The combine and personal workout sessions usually have a pretty big affect on some of the guys stock. I still believe we are going to get at least one, if not two big name guys dropping to us at #9 that we didn't expect. The key question is, what will we do when/if that happens? Stay or try and trade down ?

caneaddict
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm just happy Okoye is moving up. We desperately need Tampa to fall in love with him and take him.

If they do there's a very good chance Calvin Johnson will slide to Arizona at #5. Obviously Arizona doesn't need him so we may be able to make a trade and move up from #9 to #5. It would be expensive but not devastatingly expensive.