PDA

View Full Version : Expect an Offensive Draft

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm a defensive first guy and panicked when I heard that Jason Taylor was thinking about retirement. Taking him out of the defensive lineup would cause a huge void and I'd like to see the Dolphins draft his replacement. A player like Gaines Adams or Jarvis Moss would be nice. I also love Amobi Okoye and Alan Branch. But, I also realize that Cameron was hired to turn the offense around and that is a huge task. I believe most of the first day picks will be spent on offense and that the Dolphins will hope their young defensive guys can step up. Anyway, I expect Cameron's draft to go something like this.

1. Levi Brown - LT Penn State
The last time Miami picked a LT at #9 it was none other than Richmond Webb. Brown would be a solid pick and a player the Dolphins could build the line around. He is similar to Tarek Glenn who came into the league with questions as to whether his feet were quick enough to play LT.

2. Brian Leonard - FB Rutgers
Cameron would love his versatility and find ways to get him the ball. Leonard can catch the ball out of the backfield, move the pile and is a decent blocker. He could spell Brown as the featured back on occasion and signal the end of the Ricky Williams era.

3. Trent Edwards - QB Stanford
A Chad Pennington with a better arm. Not a franchise qb, but a smart player who will put his team in the right situations. Really accurate with short to medium range passes and can move a little.

4. Kyle Young - C Fresno State
Another huge lineman who is versatile enough to play center or guard. Cameron continues to build the offensive line.

6. Brian Smith - DE/OLB Missouri
A hip injury moves him down, but could be picked in the 4th-5th range. A nice pass rusher who could develop as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

7. Marcus Thomas - DT Florida
A top 20 talent who free falls due to character concerns. Worth the risk at #7.

Patbchln
02-01-2007, 12:09 AM
I dont see us using our 2nd on a fb

Patbchln
02-01-2007, 12:10 AM
o btw #1 is ginn jr

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 12:13 AM
o btw #1 is ginn jr

I think Ginn is a huge gamble at #9, although I do like his upside. I just think he has a lot of developing to do as a wr and probably would only help the team on special teams to begin with.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 12:15 AM

I think that would be a little odd as well, but Leonard does so much well that I could see it happening. Would prefer Brandon Meriweather at #2, but he might have put himself back into the first round with his senior bowl performance.

Patbchln
02-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I like the meriweather pick that would be awesome

Pocoloco
02-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I've been moving guys in and out of my draft. But I had Kyle Young and Marcus Thomas in there at one point. I think Trent Edwards has the potential to be better than you think, after all, you say he's like a starting QB with a better arm? That sounds like a starter to me.

The second rounder is really the point of debate. It depends what Cam and Muellar think Eckel brings to the table (I thought he was supposed to be really good).

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 12:25 AM
I've been moving guys in and out of my draft. But I had Kyle Young and Marcus Thomas in there at one point. I think Trent Edwards has the potential to be better than you think, after all, you say he's like a starting QB with a better arm? That sounds like a starter to me.

The second rounder is really the point of debate. It depends what Cam and Muellar think Eckel brings to the table (I thought he was supposed to be really good).

I do think Trent Edward can be a starter, but more in the neighborhood of Chad Pennington/Brian Griese. Good point on Eckel. I forgot about him. The second round will offer a lot of options. It will be interesting to see when the run on receivers begins. If it happens near the end of the first round, there could be a lot of quality linebackers available when Miami picks. We need a serious upgrade at linebacker for the 3-4 to get even better.

305finforlife
02-01-2007, 12:55 AM
I don't think we go with LEvi that high up, if we trade down a little I see that your scenerio panning out a little better. #2 Merriweather #3 is fine #4 Marcus Thomas (he wont last till the 7th round i know personally he wont) 6 Durant (may go 5th round though) & 7th BPA

Crunkcore
02-01-2007, 01:14 AM

:yeahthat:

bakedmatt
02-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Even ROB KONRAD said you shouldn't use a 1st day pick on a FB.

Elliott 1
02-01-2007, 01:20 AM
We draft Ginn at the #9, Levi Brown is projected a second rounder by a lot of pundits.
I really love the Bryan Leonard pick. I think he is going to catch a lot of passes in the NFL. He looks to be the quintessential third down back. I really hope he is a Dolphin next year. If we could get Ginn,Poluzny, and Leonard somehow someway, we would be on our way to bigger and better things.
And I think Samson Satele is a winner anywhere on the offensive line, gotta love that versitility.

Finsfan79
02-01-2007, 01:31 AM
o btw #1 is ginn jr

everything has been said to be building from within outwards according to cameron and our GM so I dont see that happening that is counter to everything plus he is not a top 10 talent.

trade back to around 14-16)
1st Levi Brown
2nd Ben Grubbs
2nd Brandon Meriweather
3rd Drew Stanton
4th Brian Smith (most likely already gone, Datish would be interesting)
6th BPA
7th BPA

twg76
02-01-2007, 01:35 AM
I just think he has a lot of developing to do as a wr and probably would only help the team on special teams to begin with.

Exactly. Ginn Jr. would get many chances to return kicks, which would lighten that load off of Welker. That would allow Welker to focus more on his slot receiver role while also giving Miami a special teams guy with breakaway speed.

There's no way Ginn Jr. passes by Miami if he is there at #9.

Crowder52
02-01-2007, 02:25 AM
o btw #1 is ginn jr

Thanks, Randy.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-01-2007, 03:28 AM
I don't expect an offensive draft because odds are the BPA at #9 will be a defensive player

Kyndig
02-01-2007, 05:58 AM
We draft Ginn at the #9, Levi Brown is projected a second rounder by a lot of pundits.
I really love the Bryan Leonard pick. I think he is going to catch a lot of passes in the NFL. He looks to be the quintessential third down back. I really hope he is a Dolphin next year. If we could get Ginn,Poluzny, and Leonard somehow someway, we would be on our way to bigger and better things.
And I think Samson Satele is a winner anywhere on the offensive line, gotta love that versitility.

the comparison on the draft boards is to lorenzo neal of the chargers who is quite critical to lt's success...i'd love to see us get this guy, not to spell ronnie but as another quality blocker who could also catch a few passess

SR 7
02-01-2007, 06:38 AM
hihgly doubt that.

zonk4ever
02-01-2007, 06:46 AM
we have been trying to solve our LT position for how long? last year at this time, the dolphins were cutting Mcintosh loose as a UFA. nobody signs him = no interest anywhere else and "poof" he's back starting for us because Shelton was even worse. Ourlad's has us taking Brown @ 9. All the drafts I've seen show Brown going between 10-20. I seen one having the Texans taking him @ 8. The problem is: there ain't many of these LT guys around and I don't think it's a reach to take him @ 9. After Brown the dropoff is deep. (Ugoh, Staley are projects) WR's with kick return abilities and unpolished receiving skills should be obtainable later in the draft. Maybe Brown's a "reach" for some but I want a guy @ 9 that you can plug-in, play and start from day 1!

Elliott 1
02-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I don't think you guys who keep projecting Drew Stanton in the third are in touch with reality. I think he has potential. I would like to see him in a Dolphins uniform but he isn't going to be there at 71. He may not even be there at 40.

jim1
02-01-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm a defensive first guy and panicked when I heard that Jason Taylor was thinking about retirement. Taking him out of the defensive lineup would cause a huge void and I'd like to see the Dolphins draft his replacement. A player like Gaines Adams or Jarvis Moss would be nice. I also love Amobi Okoye and Alan Branch. But, I also realize that Cameron was hired to turn the offense around and that is a huge task. I believe most of the first day picks will be spent on offense and that the Dolphins will hope their young defensive guys can step up. Anyway, I expect Cameron's draft to go something like this.

1. Levi Brown - LT Penn State
The last time Miami picked a LT at #9 it was none other than Richmond Webb. Brown would be a solid pick and a player the Dolphins could build the line around. He is similar to Tarek Glenn who came into the league with questions as to whether his feet were quick enough to play LT.

2. Brian Leonard - FB Rutgers
Cameron would love his versatility and find ways to get him the ball. Leonard can catch the ball out of the backfield, move the pile and is a decent blocker. He could spell Brown as the featured back on occasion and signal the end of the Ricky Williams era.

3. Trent Edwards - QB Stanford
A Chad Pennington with a better arm. Not a franchise qb, but a smart player who will put his team in the right situations. Really accurate with short to medium range passes and can move a little.

4. Kyle Young - C Fresno State
Another huge lineman who is versatile enough to play center or guard. Cameron continues to build the offensive line.

6. Brian Smith - DE/OLB Missouri
A hip injury moves him down, but could be picked in the 4th-5th range. A nice pass rusher who could develop as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

7. Marcus Thomas - DT Florida
A top 20 talent who free falls due to character concerns. Worth the risk at #7.

I like your mock, but I don't think that Marcus Thomas will last nearly that long. I'd rather have a stud WR at #2 or an OL like Staley or Kalil, but Leonard is intriguing. Just too much of a luxury for my taste, though. I'd rather see what RW has left and address it next year. The other picks are solid- love brian Smith and Kyle Yound picks, Trent Edwards could be a steal. Good job.

Stitches
02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I expect that no here knows what we should expect. We have 30 FA's people! How do we know who we're gonna keep? Speculation is fun, but speaking as fact? Not so much. :D

What are you talking about, we're drafting Ginn Jr. at #9. It's a guaranteed, lock because he's so fast. :rolleyes2

jim1
02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I think Ginn is a huge gamble at #9, although I do like his upside. I just think he has a lot of developing to do as a wr and probably would only help the team on special teams to begin with.

He might be a great CB if he doesn't fully pan out at WR. I think that he was a CB in college and the best CB in the country in high school.

jim1
02-01-2007, 10:28 AM
the comparison on the draft boards is to lorenzo neal of the chargers who is quite critical to lt's success...i'd love to see us get this guy, not to spell ronnie but as another quality blocker who could also catch a few passess

I don't see the comparison- Lorenzo Neal is a pure blocking full back. Leonard is about 6'2 225 lbs. and more of an all-around threat, not a sledge hammer.

Motion
02-01-2007, 10:32 AM
He might be a great CB if he doesn't fully pan out at WR. I think that he was a CB in college and the best CB in the country in high school.

No, he was a CB in high school and that is supposedly is his first love. However you have to wonder why they converted him to WR at OSU? The guy hasn't played CB in well over 2 years, you really wanna take on that kind of project with a top 10 pick? That'd be very foolish IMO.

oldfinfan
02-01-2007, 10:39 AM

Yes....look at what Hester did this year with the Bears...

Phantom
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Even ROB KONRAD said you shouldn't use a 1st day pick on a FB.
Yea, but next year is the year Konrad finally breaks out !!!!!!!!!

clbrazee
02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Replace the FB with Dwayne Jarrett WR, and the best RB in the seventh round.

Spartiate
02-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Once free agency starts and teams start filling voids, then and only then will many be able to start getting a little more accurate with their mocks.

Anything can happen then. Hell maybe Oakland or Cleveland pick up Jake Plummer and continue to groom some of those younger guys they have their at QB. Maybe even Tampa picks up Randy Moss and has no need for Calvin Johnson anymore. Alot can happen that will shake up the top ten. The only thing that I can remotely see as a lock is Houston drafting Adrian Peterson if he's still on the board when they pick.

MrEd
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
o btw #1 is ginn jr

Amen!!!

kwansolo
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't expect an offensive draft because odds are the BPA at #9 will be a defensive player

I agree 100%

MrEd
02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Once free agency starts and teams start filling voids, then and only then will many be able to start getting a little more accurate with their mocks.

Anything can happen then. Hell maybe Oakland or Cleveland pick up Jake Plummer and continue to groom some of those younger guys they have their at QB. Maybe even Tampa picks up Randy Moss and has no need for Calvin Johnson anymore. Alot can happen that will shake up the top ten. The only thing that I can remotely see as a lock is Houston drafting Adrian Peterson if he's still on the board when they pick.

And even 'that' isnt a lock.

MrEd
02-01-2007, 11:53 AM

:confused:

MrEd
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't see the comparison- Lorenzo Neal is a pure blocking full back. Leonard is about 6'2 225 lbs. and more of an all-around threat, not a sledge hammer.

This is true. Plus, he is ignoring the fact that MIA has voiced interest in re-signing Darian Barnes as posted on kffl.com

MrEd
02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
we have been trying to solve our LT position for how long? last year at this time, the dolphins were cutting Mcintosh loose as a UFA. nobody signs him = no interest anywhere else and "poof" he's back starting for us because Shelton was even worse. Ourlad's has us taking Brown @ 9. All the drafts I've seen show Brown going between 10-20. I seen one having the Texans taking him @ 8. The problem is: there ain't many of these LT guys around and I don't think it's a reach to take him @ 9. After Brown the dropoff is deep. (Ugoh, Staley are projects) WR's with kick return abilities and unpolished receiving skills should be obtainable later in the draft. Maybe Brown's a "reach" for some but I want a guy @ 9 that you can plug-in, play and start from day 1!

How many times do we have to reiterate this? Shelton was NOT moved because he was struggling...DMac was the one struggling at RG and Shelton was moved inside to replace DMac at RG because Shelton is a much better RUN BLOCKER.

Saban even stated it in the Press Conference after the game he made the switch. He stated, and Shelton also stated it in an interview, that Shelton replaced DMac because DMac was no good at runblocking.

DMac did a fine job at LT in 2005 so Saban wanted to "try it out" and put the better runblocker, who was doing "a fine job" at LT to RG to see if the OLine's woes would be fixed.

The woes were on the RIGHT SIDE of the OLine, not the LEFT SIDE.

This is what some like yourself are missing. :wink:

MrEd
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Exactly. Ginn Jr. would get many chances to return kicks, which would lighten that load off of Welker. That would allow Welker to focus more on his slot receiver role while also giving Miami a special teams guy with breakaway speed.

I agree with the Ginn Jr pick. But if we get Ginn Jr, Welker isnt the slot WR anymore: Chambers is. If we get Ginn Jr, Welker falls to #4 WR.

With Ginn Jr becoming the #3 WR who comes in as the deep threat with Chambers sliding to the slot, where he showed he can be a Pro Bowler at. :wink:

Motion
02-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't expect an Offensive draft at all.

kwansolo
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Can anyone see Trent Edwards available in the 6th rd?

xDOLPHINSx
02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree with the Ginn Jr pick. But if we get Ginn Jr, Welker isnt the slot WR anymore: Chambers is. If we get Ginn Jr, Welker falls to #4 WR.

With Ginn Jr becoming the #3 WR who comes in as the deep threat with Chambers sliding to the slot, where he showed he can be a Pro Bowler at. :wink:
If we get Ginn, im thinking Welker should just be let go or traded. Chambers, Booker, Hagan, and Ginn. Maybe Booker leaves instead, but thats if Hagan can fill his role. If we take Ginn, someones going to have to leave, and its not going to be Chambers or Hagan. It would be pointless to keep all 5 of these guys on the roster. IMO, Welkers gone if Ginn comes to MIA.

xDOLPHINSx
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't expect an Offensive draft at all.
Even with Cam at the helm? idk, i think hes going to influence Mueller to get the guys he needs for his offense. but thats just my opinion. I could honestly see both sides of the spectrum tho. Its going to be about whos available in rounds 2,3, and 4. The 1st pick is still up for debate also, theres guys like Landry, Adams, and Branch for D, and then theres Ginn, Brown, and a possibility that one of the QB's drops. the QB scenario is pretty unlikely, but its all there. Gotta love the unpredictability of the draft.

Motion
02-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Even with Cam at the helm? idk, i think hes going to influence Mueller to get the guys he needs for his offense. but thats just my opinion. I could honestly see both sides of the spectrum tho. Its going to be about whos available in rounds 2,3, and 4. The 1st pick is still up for debate also, theres guys like Landry, Adams, and Branch for D, and then theres Ginn, Brown, and a possibility that one of the QB's drops. the QB scenario is pretty unlikely, but its all there. Gotta love the unpredictability of the draft.

Yes, I highly doubt we use our top 4 picks on offense. Hopefully Mueller's status is settled soon so we know who will be calling the shots for the draft.

Mr772
02-01-2007, 01:12 PM

My thoughts exactly it's waaay to early to be sloting guys before free agency opens up and the combine gets underway. Every year there is at least one or two workout warriors that come out of the blue and rises to the top of the draft on pure athletic performance.

GatorsFins23
02-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Overall I like it, Brown is the best LT besides Joe Thomas (and it would take something more than a miracle for him to be sitting there at 9, no way he drops past 5 IMO) and Leonard would be a pretty versatile piece for our offense (though if Jarvis Moss is on the board at that pick, I'd prefer him).

The one issue I have is Marcus Thomas in the 7th. He wont last that long, he was arguably the best interior lineman in college last year before he was booted off the team....he wont last past the early 4th even despite his character issues, IMO.

Bumpus
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM

So ... we're going to spend the #9 pick on a special teamer, thus allowing our #3 WR to stay fresher???

Is that really the message that you wanted to portray?

Motion
02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
So ... we're going to spend the #9 pick on a special teamer, thus allowing our #3 WR to stay fresher???

Is that really the message that you wanted to portray?

I sure hope not.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:42 PM

I don't see Brown falling too much and really feel he's solidified himself as a top 15 pick. Paul Poluzny (sp) would be a great 2nd round pick. That is what I'm hoping for as Miami really needs to upgrade at linebacker and he reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas. Meriweather would be another nice pick in the 2nd. The Dolphins will have a lot of interesting options in round 2.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:44 PM
everything has been said to be building from within outwards according to cameron and our GM so I dont see that happening that is counter to everything plus he is not a top 10 talent.

trade back to around 14-16)
1st Levi Brown
2nd Ben Grubbs
2nd Brandon Meriweather
3rd Drew Stanton
4th Brian Smith (most likely already gone, Datish would be interesting)
6th BPA
7th BPA

It would be nice to get Grubbs and Meriweather in the second or Poz and Meriweather. I'm just not sure Miami can trade down much and still get Brown, but who knows.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:47 PM

I do agree that the best player available will be a defensive player, but with the offense really in shambles Cameron is going to focus on that side of the ball. Honestly, I think the best option is to go the free agent route on offense and draft defense. We have a lot of young players starting on offense so depending on what free agents are available this could make sense. On defense, Miami has mostly veteran starters so getting younger there is a priority. I hope the team doesn't forget about the defense because there are some real holes there.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:49 PM

That is so true, which is why I think Brown is very likely. Tarek Glenn is the comparison that comes to mind for me as he faced the same doubts from scouts as to whether he had quick enough feet.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I like your mock, but I don't think that Marcus Thomas will last nearly that long. I'd rather have a stud WR at #2 or an OL like Staley or Kalil, but Leonard is intriguing. Just too much of a luxury for my taste, though. I'd rather see what RW has left and address it next year. The other picks are solid- love brian Smith and Kyle Yound picks, Trent Edwards could be a steal. Good job.

Thanks. I'd honestly prefer a more defensive draft, but one similar to this would definitely jumpstart the offense. Not sure how I feel about Leonard either, but kind of basing that pick on what Cameron said about building a team.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:52 PM

Do you really think Jarrett will fall to round 2? I think he might go in the 20-25 range.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:54 PM

Very true. If Miami signs a big-time receiver, for example, that would take care of one need and definitely change what the Dolphins would look for in the draft.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Can anyone see Trent Edwards available in the 6th rd?

No. If anything, I think he will move up after the combines.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Overall I like it, Brown is the best LT besides Joe Thomas (and it would take something more than a miracle for him to be sitting there at 9, no way he drops past 5 IMO) and Leonard would be a pretty versatile piece for our offense (though if Jarvis Moss is on the board at that pick, I'd prefer him).

The one issue I have is Marcus Thomas in the 7th. He wont last that long, he was arguably the best interior lineman in college last year before he was booted off the team....he wont last past the early 4th even despite his character issues, IMO.

I think 4th round for Thomas might be more on track. I like Moss a lot as well, but I think he could go top 20.

xDOLPHINSx
02-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Yes, I highly doubt we use our top 4 picks on offense. Hopefully Mueller's status is settled soon so we know who will be calling the shots for the draft.
O jeez, i would be very dissapointed if we took 4 offensive players with our first 4 picks. I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 of the first 4, but definetly not all of them. Rumors have that Muellers stickin around.

xDOLPHINSx
02-02-2007, 12:38 AM
I think 4th round for Thomas might be more on track. I like Moss a lot as well, but I think he could go top 20.
I know one team for sure that wont even have him on there radar.:D