PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Scan, "HD Upconversion" DVD Players??

Fresh
02-01-2007, 12:33 AM
What exactly does this do? Does it enhance the quality/definition of regular DVD's?

I mean, I have a PS3 which plays Blu-Ray & an LCD/HDTV, so every new DVD I purchase is Blu-Ray.........but I don't feel like wasting money to go back and purchase everything all over again for about $10-20 more. So, do the progessive scab HD upconversion DVD players enhance the quality/definition of regular DVD's, or is it just a regular ol' DVD player with the same quality?

Example:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7678694&st=samsung&type=product&id=1134702980301

Thanks for the help, and if it doesn't enhance the definition, please suggest something that will. :D

Fresh
02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
this thread is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallin...........

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Start by not wasting your money on blu-ray. I've seen quite a few movies in blu-ray and then go and watch a DVD on my regular player and I don't see the big damn deal to be honest.

texasPHINSfan
02-01-2007, 01:34 AM
upconversion is a BS gimmicky technology. When the movie is filmed, the quality is limited to the quality the camera can record at.... THEN, when the movie is printed on the disc (say... DVD), it is limited by not only the camera but the size of the disc, which dictates how much the film must be compressed.

Standard movie DVDs are around 9 Gb, while the blu-ray are like 50 Gb (47?)
So the difference in quality is sizeable.

so what can an "upconverting" dvd player do? make a 9 Gb movie bigger than it is? no.

what it can try to do is clean up the picture or signal, but the difference would be negligible. Either go all-out and upgrade to Blu-ray/HD or don't bother getting the upconverting DVD Player.

personally, i'm going to wait on the HD/Blu-ray deal until there becomes a clear-cut leader and prices fall dramatically. Its still an early-adoption thing, only with two competing technologies. Brings back memories of VHS/Betamax...

Fresh
02-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks a lot for the posts........definitely helps.