PDA

View Full Version : Trade up for the #2 pick of the draft

Allaboutthefins
02-01-2007, 11:46 AM
What do you think it would take to trade up to #2?
At #2 we would either get Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson.
Joe Thomas is 6' 8'' and is has the frame to put on more weight and muscle and Calvin Johnson is a freak that would be our #1 reciever for years to come. I wouldn't mind giving up our 1st 2nd and 2nd round next year and maybe even more. What do you think?

BLITZKRIEG
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
If we trade up that high, we should be targeting a QB in my opinion....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Allaboutthefins
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I think a left tackel is much more important right now. We already have 2 good quarterbacks in DC and Cleo.

retired opfinistic
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Joe Thomas is 6' 8'' and is has the frame to put on more weight and muscle and Calvin Johnson is a freak that would be our #1 reciever for years to come. I wouldn't mind giving up our 1st 2nd and 2nd round next year and maybe even more. What do you think?
Giving up picks is a risky business my friend. I'd hate to see three day 1 picks go to pick up a single player. Didn't we already trade away this year's 2nd for Joey?

DolfanCole
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I think we would package too many picks to move up that far. I don't have the handy-dandy value chart, but to get to #2 would seem far too great of a jump.

Giving up picks is a risky business my friend. I'd hate to see three day 1 picks go to pick up a single player. Didn't we already trade away this year's 2nd for Joey?
No, we gave our 5th. It would only be a 2nd for somebody like Feeley. :D

Allaboutthefins
02-01-2007, 11:54 AM
If you could have potentialy one of the best players in the league it might be worth it.

retired opfinistic
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I think we would package too many picks to move up that far. I don't have the handy-dandy value chart, but to get to #2 would seem far too great of a jump.

No, we gave our 5th. It would only be a 2nd for somebody like Feeley. :D
That's right. Living in the past, I'm afraid. Too bad there was no-one of Feeley's Caliber available to give up a 2nd rounder for. :lol:

RenoFinFan
02-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Getting Calvin Johnson would by the ideal pick for Miami this year. Not only is he the best player coming out he would fill Miami's most biggest need at WR.

However, trading up to #2 is unrealistic. Most teams go by a draft pick value chart (creation of Jimmy Johnson I believe) and our 1st and two 2nds wouldn't even cut it. The #2 pick according to the charts is equivalent to the number #9 and #11 (which we don't have) picks. Considering this team does not have the luxury to spend a couple of #1 pics on "one" player it is not likely to happen.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

nick1
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM

PHINZ RULE!!!

definitely, if you trade up your going after Quinn. only QBs are worth the value it is going to cost to trade up that far

Retnuhrace
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I'd love to trade up to get either Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas, but it won't happen. I do think that we need to try to trade down because at #9, we are just out of reach of those surefire "elite" players.

nick1
02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
with that said it would cost way too much to trade up that far, we won't do it

retired opfinistic
02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
If you could have potentialy one of the best players in the league it might be worth it.
Pontentially is a dangerous word. The Giants gave up quite a bit for Eli's potential, and that has yet to pay them dividends.

Allaboutthefins
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Pontentially is a dangerous word. The Giants gave up quite a bit for Eli's potential, and that has yet to pay them dividends.

Come on now, Eli is no Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson.
But you guys are right it would probably cost to much to trade up.

FINSFAN2781
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
If you trade up to #2, it definitely has to be Calvin Johnson. OL can be addressed in FA. This is the best player in the draft by far, and noone should pass this guy up. If we traded to #2, we could draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jersey54
02-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Trade what? We've given up enough draft picks over the last few years. If anything we trade down a little and accumulate picks.

retired opfinistic
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
:lol: True, but boy was his last name great!

Motion
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Extremely foolish idea IMO. We'd have to give up the farm to do so and its not worth it for one player. Not when we need to fill multiple holes.

#2 pick = 2600 pts.
#9 pick = 1350 pts.

rothshunger
02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
there is no telling if calvin will even be there at #2 anyway why not just trade up to #1 if we are gonna trade up at all

xDOLPHINSx
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
If you trade up to #2, it definitely has to be Calvin Johnson. OL can be addressed in FA. This is the best player in the draft by far, and noone should pass this guy up. If we traded to #2, we could draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.
If we trade up, these will most definetly be gone, unless we package a good player in the deal. There's no way we could do this, we have positions to fill and we need to do it via the draft.

Motion
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM

And what exactly do you expect to use as collateral to trade up to #2 with? Lets get real here people, the price would be too steep.

nick1
02-01-2007, 12:27 PM
And what exactly do you expect to use as collateral to trade up to #2 with? Lets get real here people, the price would be too steep.

they are hoping that the Lions will accept Chambers for the #2 straight up :lol: just what they need in Detriot, another underacheiving WR :sidelol:

PyroDOLFAN
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Giving up picks is not a good thing for this team at this time. we need the players and we need some rookies to step up and help the veterens we do have returning. Some great playrers come in the later rounds that bloom after showing themselves like Colston for the Saints. Giving up picks is a bad ideal for a team that needs players.

xDOLPHINSx
02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
they are hoping that the Lions will accept Chambers for the #2 straight up :lol: just what they need in Detriot, another underacheiving WR :sidelol:
cmon now, you cant give up on him yet. I mean seriously, JOEY HARRINGTON, need i say more. Maybe thats why all those 1st round WR's in Detroit failed. Probably not, just puttin it out there. A lot of phin fans have already gave up on the one year removed probowler. But i guess thats the business, what have you done for me lately. (BTW, I wasnt directing this at you) :D

LJK825
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
That's right. Living in the past, I'm afraid. Too bad there was no-one of Feeley's Caliber available to give up a 2nd rounder for. :lol:

There are days when I wake up in the morning and I feel perplexed. Then the whole Feeley deal comes to mind and I go back to sleep hoping to wake up again with no memory of that.

FinsFan4eva13
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM

a 5th round pick for joey

Motion
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM

It would take ALOT more than that.

retired opfinistic
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
It would take ALOT more than that.
Case settled. Next!

MoTown Finman
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Why trade up for 1 player? Are we 1 player away? No...there will be a good player at 9. Someone always drops...always. It may be Brady Quinn or Alan Branch or even maybe Calvin Johnson. Look at how many teams passed on Randy Moss. We will get 2-3 good to great players (starters) in this draft!

JFoxx
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
The only reason we should ever trade up is to get an "elite" talent that would be a career potential player. While I think it would take a #2 spot to get Thomas (and I think the Lions like him enough that we'd have to give up more than what you're proposing), I think we can get CJ at #4. TB seems most likely (as of now) to grab him. I know that could change and he could go #1 by draft day, but if not, then #4 makes most sense right now. I think Tampa has enough needs right now that they might consider a deal to move down. The real question though is do we have too many holes to give up picks for one player? I'm thinking we do and those holes probably won't get filled via F/A because of the $$$. I would love to get CJ, he's the only "elite" WR (in my opinion) on the board and has all the skills to dominate for many years. But I'd hate to sell most of my draft to get that one player when we're far from one player away from success.

O'townPhinFan
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Would have to give up too much to go that high.

VT Dolphan
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Trading up would be a pretty stupid decision. This is one of the older teams in the league, we need all the young talent that we could possibly get. I'd rather try my luck and see if Brady Quinn or Gaines Adams slides to us. Although if we did trade up that far, the pick would definitely be between Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas.

phins3454
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM

I dont think that will happen but, we would have a lot more options and better players to look at

Joe Thomas
Brady Quinn
Calvin Johnson

FINSFAN2781
02-01-2007, 02:05 PM

I never said we are going to trade up to #2. I know it aint happening. That statement was a response to an earlier question. I said if Miami was to trade up to #2, this is the reason.

Finsfan79
02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
number 2 pick 2600 points

number 9 pick 1350 points
number 8 (2nd) 500 points
number 1 Next year 700 points

Yeah because giving up all of that our 1st, 1st next year and a 2nd doesnt even equal the value of the number 2 pick this year. Yeah, that is smart to do.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

rvicious
02-01-2007, 02:46 PM

:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

tmny99
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM

Trading up is a horrible idea because we'll lose too much just for one player. I'm not sure what the point totals are but I'm sure #2 pick is worth at least our #1 coupled with another high pick or two. Great teams are built through the draft not the teams the sacrifice drafts for single players. Look at what happened to the Saints when they sold the house for Ricky. And even better example now is the Giants trade with the Chargers. The Chargers parlayed that trade into Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding.

Motion
02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Trading up is a horrible idea because we'll lose too much just for one player. I'm not sure what the point totals are but I'm sure #2 pick is worth at least our #1 coupled with another high pick or two. Great teams are built through the draft not the teams the sacrifice drafts for single players. Look at what happened to the Saints when they sold the house for Ricky. And even better example now is the Giants trade with the Chargers. The Chargers parlayed that trade into Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding.

And even that isn't a good example because that was basically only going from #4 to #1.

Alex44
02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
God I hate when people drag out that stupid draft value chart.

It's only meant to be used as a guidline first off.

Second off a picks value is judged by what players are there when you trade it. The number 9 pick doesnt have a stagnant value, if Brady Quinn is there it's worth more. If a star player slips it's worth more. If the draft isnt deep it's worth less.

The only time the draft pick value chart should be brought out is if your trading picks for picks midseason which will NEVER happen. Maybe in a trade like....your backup running back, 6th, 7th. for their 4th and 5th I guess. But thats it.

Anyway back on subject.

I LOVE Calvin Johnson, but I dont think trading up is a very smart idea. We have needs that need to be adressed and trading up may fill one of them nicely but it leaves the others as glaring holes.

phunwin
02-01-2007, 03:24 PM
*IF* we were to trade up (and I seriously doubt we will, but setting that aside), it would almost have to be a situation where Thomas or Johnson falls a couple spots. A move to 2, as others have pointed out, is cost-prohibitive.

Thomas is probably going #2 to Detroit, and Johnson could go #1 or to whoever wins the Browns/Bucs coin flip at 3. We know there's no way (barring injury or a SERIOUS skeleton in the closet) that Thomas falls past 5 (the Cardinals have a crying need on OL that limits what they can get from their impressive skill position talent), or Johnson falls past 4 (there's no way the Bucs and Browns BOTH pass on him, given that both are woefully short on offensive firepower).

If one of those two were on the board at 4 (and personally, I doubt it), a trade up might be more possible. Moving up from 9 to 4 requires only 450 points of value, according to the all-powerful draft pick value chart. Our second round pick would theoretically get that done.

Motion
02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
God I hate when people drag out that stupid draft value chart.

It's only meant to be used as a guidline first off.

Second off a picks value is judged by what players are there when you trade it. The number 9 pick doesnt have a stagnant value, if Brady Quinn is there it's worth more. If a star player slips it's worth more. If the draft isnt deep it's worth less.

The only time the draft pick value chart should be brought out is if your trading picks for picks midseason which will NEVER happen. Maybe in a trade like....your backup running back, 6th, 7th. for their 4th and 5th I guess. But thats it.

Anyway back on subject.

I LOVE Calvin Johnson, but I dont think trading up is a very smart idea. We have needs that need to be adressed and trading up may fill one of them nicely but it leaves the others as glaring holes.

How would you know any of that? You know what the NFL GM's go by? I'm not saying the chart is the gospel but it was made for a reason. If the draft wasn't deep, the picks would be worth much more at the top. Common sense.

Static387
02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Na i want to take someones picks...

Alex44
02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
How would you know any of that? You know what the NFL GM's go by? If the draft wasn't deep, the picks would be worth much more at the top. Common sense.

That's exactly what I just said.

The picks value is based on whats available not a dumb chart that has a stagnant value

Motion
02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
That's exactly what I just said.

The picks value is based on whats available not a dumb chart that has a stagnant value

Really?

If the draft isnt deep it's worth less.

Alex44
02-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Really?

[/b]

Typo I guess, from writing really fast. Nice catch though.

EDIT: Actually no, in the context I wrote it then it's right. ( I worded it funny I guess but heres what I meant)

I was talking about the number 9 overall pick not any other picks first off. I meant that if the draft isnt deep and there is no-one projected to be available as a stud in that spot the pick loses value. If there is a player worth trading up for it gains value.

In general though what you said is right, the worse the draft the more value at the top.

jim1
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM

I would trade the #9 pick and Chris Chambers in a heart beat to get Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas.

tay0365
02-01-2007, 04:31 PM
PHINZ RULE!!!

:yes:

tay0365
02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I think a left tackel is much more important right now. We already have 2 good quarterbacks in DC and Cleo.

No! :shakeno:

Crunkcore
02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Trading up would cost too much.
Picking at 9 or if we can trade down would be better options for us IMO.

tay0365
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM

If Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, and Brady Quinn all reached their potentiel, which do you think would do more to help this team become great?

Our O-line was nowhere close to being considered good last year, but they were solid more times then not as a Line, and not many games can be said were lost because of them.

Our WRs did not perform as we expected, and did drop a good amount of balls, but they did also make a good amount of plays, and again, not many games can be said were lost because of our WRs.

At QB the word most used was inconsistant, and that was better then some of the other words used. IF we have had a better QB this pasr year, we would have been in the playoffs at the very least. We will not get a chance like this again to maybe pickup a franchise QB.

ASUFinFan
02-01-2007, 05:20 PM
*IF* we were to trade up (and I seriously doubt we will, but setting that aside), it would almost have to be a situation where Thomas or Johnson falls a couple spots. A move to 2, as others have pointed out, is cost-prohibitive.

Thomas is probably going #2 to Detroit, and Johnson could go #1 or to whoever wins the Browns/Bucs coin flip at 3. We know there's no way (barring injury or a SERIOUS skeleton in the closet) that Thomas falls past 5 (the Cardinals have a crying need on OL that limits what they can get from their impressive skill position talent), or Johnson falls past 4 (there's no way the Bucs and Browns BOTH pass on him, given that both are woefully short on offensive firepower).

If one of those two were on the board at 4 (and personally, I doubt it), a trade up might be more possible. Moving up from 9 to 4 requires only 450 points of value, according to the all-powerful draft pick value chart. Our second round pick would theoretically get that done.

Great post, and I agree with it all. Instead of saying, nope wont happen...look deeper and maybe there is a possibility. I could see Calvin dropping to 4, and if that was the case I would give up our 1st and 2nd for him in a heartbeat.

Crowda
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
It always make me laugh inside when i see people talk about scenarios to trade up. People thinking Joey Harrington + our pick is worth the #2...you realize we spent a 5th round pick for him.
If you're going to comment at least understand a players value. In Joey's case...he's bad. People don't take bad players off your hands and give you high draft picks, regardless if you include your own #9.

Motion
02-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Great post, and I agree with it all. Instead of saying, nope wont happen...look deeper and maybe there is a possibility. I could see Calvin dropping to 4, and if that was the case I would give up our 1st and 2nd for him in a heartbeat.

Now that is much more possible.

ASUFinFan
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
If Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, and Brady Quinn all reached their potentiel, which do you think would do more to help this team become great?

Our O-line was nowhere close to being considered good last year, but they were solid more times then not as a Line, and not many games can be said were lost because of them.

Our WRs did not perform as we expected, and did drop a good amount of balls, but they did also make a good amount of plays, and again, not many games can be said were lost because of our WRs.

At QB the word most used was inconsistant, and that was better then some of the other words used. IF we have had a better QB this pasr year, we would have been in the playoffs at the very least. We will not get a chance like this again to maybe pickup a franchise QB.

I agree, but at the same time, maybe Cam sees somthing in Cleo or DC and desides that Joe Thomas is who we need to get RB and the RW train going. Maybe then Joe Thomas is who we need to reach our teams potential. Or maybe we pick up Dielman, and we decide that we are ok with the line, few tweaks here and there, but that we need WR help. then we go after CJ. I dont know, but theres alot of options and I like this time of year.

ASUFinFan
02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Now that is much more possible.

yah it is, and I am getting kind of excited about the possibility maybe. If he dropped to four I would be pushing for us to trade up for him. Maybe Chambers would see that as a slap in the face, ala brees situation with rivers, and step us his play. great situation I believe if possible. So much can happen before draft day, that all this talk now is really meaningless. three days before the draft we will all have a better idea.

Motion
02-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree, but at the same time, maybe Cam sees somthing in Cleo or DC and desides that Joe Thomas is who we need to get RB and the RW train going. Maybe then Joe Thomas is who we need to reach our teams potential. Or maybe we pick up Dielman, and we decide that we are ok with the line, few tweaks here and there, but that we need WR help. then we go after CJ. I dont know, but theres alot of options and I like this time of year.

Couldn't agree more. We have huge potential with our running game if we can solidify our Oline.

Motion
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
yah it is, and I am getting kind of excited about the possibility maybe. If he dropped to four I would be pushing for us to trade up for him. Maybe Chambers would see that as a slap in the face, ala brees situation with rivers, and step us his play. great situation I believe if possible. So much can happen before draft day, that all this talk now is really meaningless. three days before the draft we will all have a better idea.

Absolutely, Free Agency will change everyone's mocks and outlook on the draft.

ASUFinFan
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Couldn't agree more. We have huge potential with our running game if we can solidify our Oline.

I think we are on the same page Motion.

ASUFinFan
02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Absolutely, Free Agency will change everyone's mocks and outlook on the draft.

Exactly, and thats why I like reading about all this draft stuff then. In reality, we really need to be talking about FA's right now. That is the next step for this team. Then we should talk about the draft. Because it is really hard for me to figure out what we really need, and what position this team is in until after Free agency is over.

Aqua and Orange
02-01-2007, 05:57 PM

PHINZ RULE!!!

I agree. I think that we can get some quality O lineman at our spot and have a good chance of getting Ginn at 9. I think the only reason we'd move up that high is for Quinn.

phinphan896
02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
id be tempted to do it for Calvin Johnson. He looks like on of those once in a very long time type of players. He could be a very special player.

DonShula84
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM

No thanks.

twg76
02-01-2007, 06:30 PM
There is no way you trade up for an OL. That is crazy. It would cost entirely too much.

And as far as Johnson, I'm sure he will be a great player. But I can't see Miami trading their 2nd round pick this year and next year's 2nd round pick for him. The price will be too high.

Kadiddlehopper
02-01-2007, 06:55 PM
trade down, not up!

XXXSURTAINXXX
02-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing C. Johnson in a dolphins uni

Jaj
02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
You can trade up but not that FAR. Trade up for Johnson or Thomas at the 4th overall pick. That takes a 2nd rounder and we should get a 5th back. Combine that with cutting a deal with a team interested in Wes Welker maybe for a late 3rd or 4th and it's possible.

For Calvin Johnson I'd give that up without a doubt. In fact I'd be stupid not to have that possible WR core.

SpencerFS
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
i would like trading up for CJ But i think its just gonna take to much. Even though i believe he will be a very good player but theres that chance he wont so its a gamble and they are dangerous

Sean
02-01-2007, 09:04 PM

it would probally take us our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and chambers... not worth it

Sean
02-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing C. Johnson in a dolphins uni

i wouldn't mind it either.. but it will just take to much in draft pick/ stock/ player IMO

phinphan896
02-01-2007, 09:10 PM
i dont want an olinemen

Regan21286
02-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Joe Thomas may be the best LT in this year's draft, but compared to others in previous drafts, he's not as good. Definitely not as elite a prospect like say D'Brickashaw Ferguson. So I don't consider him deserving enough to trade up unless it's a real bargain. The talent dropoff for other guys isn't that far off and we can try to put a flier on one of those or wait another year. And a similar no to Calvin Johnson.

unifiedtheory
02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
C.J. might be a special talent...

That said, trading your entire first day and maybe a first day pick in '08 for a reciever is totaly insane in my opinion.

The only time in my opinion, you trade up a bunch, giving away a good deal of your future is if you are getting a truly special/once in a generation type talent.

Sean
02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Extremely foolish idea IMO. We'd have to give up the farm to do so and its not worth it for one player. Not when we need to fill multiple holes.

#2 pick = 2600 pts.
#9 pick = 1350 pts.

exactly correct.

PublixSubsRule
02-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I would Not be upset...does anyone know the point value?

PublixSubsRule
02-02-2007, 09:08 AM
if we did trade up i hope we get Calvin Johnson or a QB, Our o-line coach has done a good enough job that we are at least ok ok the line, if we want to improve our line we should go after someone like McNiel like the Chargers did last year in round 2

Motion
02-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I would Not be upset...does anyone know the point value?

Look at the post right before yours.