PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Price cut being considered

Majpain
02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Not good for sony http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165103.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Why? They don't make their money on the systems they make it off of everything else. I don't think people realize that.

theghost
02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Maybe the will just scrap the PS3 and move on to the next next gen system, kinda like sega:sidelol:

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:22 PM
:woot: I would be happy with the 20% cut that Japan had.

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Maybe the will just scrap the PS3 and move on to the next next gen system, kinda like sega:sidelol:

:hmmm:

mor911
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Why? They don't make their money on the systems they make it off of everything else. I don't think people realize that.
because they're already losing money. The more you lose, the harder it is to recoupe from everything else. It's only been 2.5 months since the PS3 launched and they already can't sell them. That is never good.

theghost
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
The price was pretty much the deciding factor for me to by the 360 instead of the PS3.

Dolfan984
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
because they're already losing money. The more you lose, the harder it is to recoupe from everything else. It's only been 2.5 months since the PS3 launched and they already can't sell them. That is never good.

I want one it's just soooooooooo expensive.

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
They need more games than anything. Games sell systems. They would have been better off holding out for a Spring 2007 launch to let the game production catch up.

Desides
02-01-2007, 02:41 PM
The price was pretty much the deciding factor for me to by the 360 instead of the PS3.

As opposed to the games?

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
As opposed to the games?

:sidelol:

srsly?

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:51 PM

srsly?

:chuckle: Some people plan for the future. :lol:

Desides
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

srsly?

Yes, seriously. Let's be honest, the PS3 is getting quite a few games, big-name or not. Quite a few of these games will not be made available on the 360. To use price as a deciding factor over a comparison of each console's lineup, both present and future, is kind of silly.

Motion
02-01-2007, 02:53 PM
:jt0323: Here we go..............

Desides
02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
:jt0323: Here we go..............

Might as well put the popcorn down, because I'm not going to let myself be dragged into a console war. I'm one of those "buy all three consoles and just play the damn games" guys.

theghost
02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
As opposed to the games?

I said DECIDING FACTOR, not ONLY FACTOR.

tucker
02-01-2007, 02:59 PM
i didnt buy b/c of the price....

Desides
02-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I said DECIDING FACTOR, not ONLY FACTOR.

I'm saying the games should be the deciding factor. Price is a factor, but it shouldn't make or break a purchase. If anything, if you opt for the cheaper option, it should be with the caveat that you're going to buy the more expensive console at a later date as well.

That's just how I approach gaming, anyway.

Motion
02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Might as well put the popcorn down, because I'm not going to let myself be dragged into a console war. I'm one of those "buy all three consoles and just play the damn games" guys.

That makes two of us. :hi5:

Slappy8800
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm saying the games should be the deciding factor. Price is a factor, but it shouldn't make or break a purchase. If anything, if you opt for the cheaper option, it should be with the caveat that you're going to buy the more expensive console at a later date as well.

if u cant afford the system you cant play the games....price is the #1 deciding factor for the general public and thats who the companies have to sell to. the hard core guys will buy no matter what.

UltraDol-Fan
02-01-2007, 03:39 PM

I got sucked in. Price is the make or break factor of EVERY purchase you make. If you can't afford it, you can't buy it. It's not like someone is going to take out a loan to buy one of these systems.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I got sucked in. Price is the make or break factor of EVERY purchase you make. If you can't afford it, you can't buy it. It's not like someone is going to take out a loan to buy one of these systems.

I disagree. I would be suprised if over 40% of the purchases were not on a "loan".

Also known as a credit card.

Desides
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
if u cant afford the system you cant play the games....price is the #1 deciding factor for the general public and thats who the companies have to sell to. the hard core guys will buy no matter what.

You two make it sound like a console is a big investment. It's not. If you can't afford one, save up until you can. You don't HAVE to buy the thing the second it comes out. I still don't have a 360, PS3, or a Wii.

Prime Time
02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Price is the deciding factor. I was going to buy my Bro (and myself) a Xbox 360 for Christmas but decided not too. I won't buy a Ps3 until the price drops.

CharlestonPhan
02-01-2007, 05:45 PM

i noticed that the 360 had a 40 buck price drop in a local best buy ad this past weekend, and wondered why, since they are already well below PS3. i figured that the opposite must be happening and PS3 was selling like crazy and forcing the lowered price on a 360.

i guess they are moving fast to cut prices in order to bury sony and grab more market share.

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 05:46 PM

Didn't they already have a better launch then the 360 and haven't even globally released yet? There is no reason to buy it right now is the problem due to games and most people just bought a 360.

FinsNCanes
02-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Bleh..

I'm tired of hearing about the ps3 being so expensive. Buy the 360 and the HDDVD and it's the same price, not to mention if you wanna play on XBL which is something like 50 bucks. So in reality you're paying an extra $150 for a more powerful console and a blu ray player.

I don't own either so I can't be biased ;)

Phin-o-rama
02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
45 bucks for xbl...

its up to you man (obviously)...I'll own a ps3 in a few years when the price drops....do you really need/want hd-dvd OR bluray?

If you are gonna throw that in about XBL I'm gonna throw in the 'not hd out of the box' and the story has yet to be debunked about the guys warranty being denied for not buying the 99 dollar hdmi cable.....so 700 for ps3....no rumble in the controllers....lack of games...losing exclusives....and the fact that sony is full of **** will keep me from that console for a while......

tucker
02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
i'm not gonna pay 700 for a damn game console..that is why i didnt buy..which was the deciding factor

Scatman
02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
go get yourself a ds and be happy

Pagan
02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
You two make it sound like a console is a big investment. It's not. If you can't afford one, save up until you can. You don't HAVE to buy the thing the second it comes out. I still don't have a 360, PS3, or a Wii.
Sorry to disagree with you Mr. Trump, but some people on this planet think that $600-$700 for a videogame system is a little steep.

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
if your ps3 breaks, you better tell them you are using that 99 dollar hdmi....

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony/using-nonlicensed-third-party-products-does-void-ps3-warranty-229487.php

mor911
02-02-2007, 02:10 PM
yeah... $600 + Tax is expensive... unless you're rich. I work for my loot, and that's alot of loot.

TrueDolFan
02-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Yes, seriously. Let's be honest, the PS3 is getting quite a few games, big-name or not. Quite a few of these games will not be made available on the 360.

:confused:
I've heard nothing but the opposite. I've been hearing that most games originally intended to be PS3 exclusives are now going to appear on the 360. It's what happens when nobody buys a system, nobody makes exclusives for it.

Nearly all of PS3 exclusive games will be games made by Sony. Like I said time and time again, Sony isn't Nintendo. They don't have the ability to support a console almost entirely on the strength of their first-party games.

This console generation is going to be UGLY for Sony.

TrueDolFan
02-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I think a lot of younger guys who still live at home, and have almost zero responsibility have a hard time comprehending what it's like for those of us who have a mortgage and a family to support.

I'm not blaming them, I know I did when I had no responsibilities. But the "real world" has a way of teaching you lessons you could never learn unless you're in it.

Desides
02-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I've heard nothing but the opposite. I've been hearing that most games originally intended to be PS3 exclusives are now going to appear on the 360. It's what happens when nobody buys a system, nobody makes exclusives for it.

There have actually only been a handful of PS3 games to lose their exclusivity: Assassin's Creed (which was supposedly never exclusive in the first place), Armored Core 4 (in the US and Europe; Japan only gets the game on the PS3), and POSSIBLY Unreal Tournament 3. (GTA4 doesn't count: it was never announced as a PS3 exclusive title in the first place.)

Current PS3 exclusives include (but not limited to, and off the top of my head):
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4
Resistance
Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII
Tekken series
Ace Combat series
Daxter series
Eight Days
Motorstorm

Games projected, not confirmed, to be PS3 exclusives:
Soul Calibur IV
Suikoden VI
Zone of the Enders 3
Gradius VI
Nippon Ichi Software's various titles (Disgaea, etc)

Major cross-platform titles:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Unreal Tournament 3
Splinter Cell series
Ninja Gaiden (see NG Sigma on PS3)
Resident Evil 5
Madden series
Call of Duty series

360 games that lost exclusivity:
Oblivion
Saints Row

360 exclusives:
Halo 3
Gears of War series
Too Human (if it ever comes out)
Dead or Alive (could change; see Ninja Gaiden Sigma)
Dead Rising
Lost Planet

I don't see where people are getting the idea that the 360 is stealing all of the PS3's games, unless you're simply getting that impression from the occasional "360 version of Game X" announced. The PS3's lineup looks pretty good to me. I'm not saying the 360 is lagging behind, but the idea that you can pass on the PS3 because its games are going to the 360 is ludicrous.

Motion
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
There have actually only been a handful of PS3 games to lose their exclusivity: Assassin's Creed (which was supposedly never exclusive in the first place), Armored Core 4 (in the US and Europe; Japan only gets the game on the PS3), and POSSIBLY Unreal Tournament 3. (GTA4 doesn't count: it was never announced as a PS3 exclusive title in the first place.)

Current PS3 exclusives include (but not limited to, and off the top of my head):
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4
Resistance
Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII
Tekken series
Ace Combat series
Daxter series
Eight Days
Motorstorm

Games projected, not confirmed, to be PS3 exclusives:
Soul Calibur IV
Suikoden VI
Zone of the Enders 3
Gradius VI
Nippon Ichi Software's various titles (Disgaea, etc)

Major cross-platform titles:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Unreal Tournament 3
Splinter Cell series
Ninja Gaiden (see NG Sigma on PS3)
Resident Evil 5
Madden series
Call of Duty series

Oblivion
Saints Row

360 exclusives:
Halo 3
Gears of War series
Too Human (if it ever comes out)
Dead or Alive (could change; see Ninja Gaiden Sigma)
Dead Rising
Lost Planet

I don't see where people are getting the idea that the 360 is stealing all of the PS3's games, unless you're simply getting that impression from the occasional "360 version of Game X" announced. The PS3's lineup looks pretty good to me. I'm not saying the 360 is lagging behind, but the idea that you can pass on the PS3 because its games are going to the 360 is ludicrous.
Don't forget Forza Motorsports :drool:

Desides
02-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Don't forget Forza Motorsports :drool:

Alright, 360 gains Forza, the PS3 gains Gran Turismo 5. The lists still look the same.

Megatron
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I own a PS3 and I sell them. They are impossible to keep on the shelves. Now I have an XBOX360 that has been there for weeks. The price isn't as prohibitive as you would be lead to believe, if people need the money they find a way. Now the Nintendo Wii is a console I'm considering picking up just for kicks because of it's low price and the fact I'm jonsing for new PS3 content. The PS3 is the most powerful gaming console ever made and it will be a cornerstone of gaming for it's life cycle, probably about 5 years. The games that come out next year for this system will blow the lid off gaming, the thing is just so damn powerful, look at the specs.

xDOLPHINSx
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry to disagree with you Mr. Trump, but some people on this planet think that $600-$700 for a videogame system is a little steep.
I second this. How can you say that price isnt the main deciding factor without a doubt? Price is a big deal. In terms of opportunity cost, PS3 = Xbox 360 + $200 or so. For a lot of casual gamers this is a deciding factor.

Motion
02-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Alright, 360 gains Forza, the PS3 gains Gran Turismo 5. The lists still look the same.

Actually your missing alot of exclusives on both ends. Exclusive as of now anyway.

PS3:
God of War
Socom
Getaway
Killzone
Killing Day
Tekken
Warhawk

360:
Crackdown
Fable
Huxley
Oufit
Project Gotham Racing

Just to name a few.

IMO people exaggerate the "losing exclusives" issue.

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I own a PS3 and I sell them. They are impossible to keep on the shelves. Now I have an XBOX360 that has been there for weeks. The price isn't as prohibitive as you would be lead to believe, if people need the money they find a way. Now the Nintendo Wii is a console I'm considering picking up just for kicks because of it's low price and the fact I'm jonsing for new PS3 content. The PS3 is the most powerful gaming console ever made and it will be a cornerstone of gaming for it's life cycle, probably about 5 years. The games that come out next year for this system will blow the lid off gaming, the thing is just so damn powerful, look at the specs.

where do you work? cuz i could walk into CC, best buy or ebgames right now and buy a ps3....

and the xbox 1 WAS the most powerful gaming console ever made too....the ps3's advantage is their processor...maybe...if it can be utilized correctly...the gpu is a wash, and the ram is in favor of the 360 as it can be assigned as needed....plus the ps3 OS uses more memory than the 360 OS....ps3 is a powerful machine, i do agree....and when they blow the lid off gaming, I'll get one...hope they cut the price though

SpurzN703
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I want one it's just soooooooooo expensive.

Hell yeah it was. I threw down 400 for XBox and even that's a little steep for a putz like me. But I used my tax refund to buy it :wink:

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
mass effect is another for 360

oh and oblivion was a pc game first...does that really count as a lost exclusive?

Desides
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Actually your missing alot of exclusives on both ends. Exclusive as of now anyway.

Like I said, it was off the top of my head. I wrote up the lists to prove a point, that the PS3 isn't really losing exclusives. (I'm glad you agree with me on that, by the way. Thank you!) Both systems have exclusives games that are worth playing, both have a coupe of titles that will inevitably be released on the other system, and both share a large library of titles.

I realize that. What I'm saying is that's not an excuse to blow the system off altogether. You have plenty of options: one, wait for a price cut. Two, save up. Three, go to a friend's and play his. Four, pick one up used from eBay or the local EB/Gamestop.

And please lay off the insults. What exactly did I say to deserve your sarcasm, beyond advocating that people judge console acquisitions based on games over price, not games instead of price?

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
if i were to buy a system today for the games...i would buy a 360....in 2-3 years...it might be a ps3

if i were to buy a system today for the price...i would buy a 360....in 2-3 years...it might be a ps3

Majpain
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Umm who turned this into a Console war debate?

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 03:57 PM
prolly me

KingCrowder
02-02-2007, 04:05 PM
I still want one and i was waiting for the price to drop so, i se this as great news

Dolfan5000
02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
prolly me
as always

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
as always

:newera:

Stitches
02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I think a lot of younger guys who still live at home, and have almost zero responsibility have a hard time comprehending what it's like for those of us who have a mortgage and a family to support.

I'm not blaming them, I know I did when I had no responsibilities. But the "real world" has a way of teaching you lessons you could never learn unless you're in it.

I pay my own rent, and tuition, and car payment, and groceries, utilities, etc. I don't think $600 is that steep considering what you are getting, I mean it is a lot of scratch, but it isn't going to stop me from buying it if I want one.

Motion
02-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Umm who turned this into a Console war debate?

Did you forget what forum you were in? Every thread is a console war. :fire:

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Even with a price drop on the PS3, the issue of price versus value remains. I'd bet that a PS3 price drop means the 360 gets THE SAME price drop. So you can spend that extra $200 on a HD-DVD, or since your buying a GAME console... spend it on 3-4 great games instead!

The closer you get to that $200 price point, the more casual and cheap gamers will start to buy.

How long will it take for the PS3 to reach a $200 price?

Megatron
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
where do you work? cuz i could walk into CC, best buy or ebgames right now and buy a ps3....

and the xbox 1 WAS the most powerful gaming console ever made too....the ps3's advantage is their processor...maybe...if it can be utilized correctly...the gpu is a wash, and the ram is in favor of the 360 as it can be assigned as needed....plus the ps3 OS uses more memory than the 360 OS....ps3 is a powerful machine, i do agree....and when they blow the lid off gaming, I'll get one...hope they cut the price thoughIn Canada they are hard to get, that's where I am. PS3 processing power is greater than the XBOX360, that's without a doubt. Cel processing is where it's at, you got to recognize.:wink:

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 10:05 PM
k cuz i sure as hell don't see any evidence of that (yet)...all the ps3 launch titles look WORSE than the 360 launch titles ...how is that possible....an extra year, an extra 200 dollars, and a dominant processor....

ill believe it when i see it...and i will purchase it when it warrants it thx

Bruzer
02-02-2007, 10:26 PM
why does every thread get turned into a console war its getting ridiculous...

Megatron
02-02-2007, 10:43 PM
k cuz i sure as hell don't see any evidence of that (yet)...all the ps3 launch titles look WORSE than the 360 launch titles ...how is that possible....an extra year, an extra 200 dollars, and a dominant processor....

ill believe it when i see it...and i will purchase it when it warrants it thxAn extra year of development. XBOX360 titles should look better at this stage. But long term XBOX 360 will be maxed out shortly and PS3 will keep advancing.......ah superiority sweet sweet PS3.:wink:

Phin-o-rama
02-02-2007, 11:00 PM
im talking launch titles

xDOLPHINSx
02-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Like I said, it was off the top of my head. I wrote up the lists to prove a point, that the PS3 isn't really losing exclusives. (I'm glad you agree with me on that, by the way. Thank you!) Both systems have exclusives games that are worth playing, both have a coupe of titles that will inevitably be released on the other system, and both share a large library of titles.

I realize that. What I'm saying is that's not an excuse to blow the system off altogether. You have plenty of options: one, wait for a price cut. Two, save up. Three, go to a friend's and play his. Four, pick one up used from eBay or the local EB/Gamestop.

And please lay off the insults. What exactly did I say to deserve your sarcasm, beyond advocating that people judge console acquisitions based on games over price, not games instead of price?
five, buy a cheaper system and have just as much fun with it. :wink:

Pagan
02-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Dude, chill out. Who insulted you? Grow some thicker skin, my friend...it was meant as humor.

If I called you a douchebag, that's an insult.

I called you Mr. Trump insinuating that you must have lots of money to think $600 isn't a nice chunk of coin...not to insult you.

Desides
02-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Dude, chill out. Who insulted you? Grow some thicker skin, my friend...it was meant as humor.

If I called you a douchebag, that's an insult.

I called you Mr. Trump insinuating that you must have lots of money to think $600 isn't a nice chunk of coin...not to insult you.

My apologies, then.

And no, I can't afford a PS3. I can't even afford a Wii right now. I don't own any of the next-gen systems right now. But simultaneously, I don't resent Sony for pricing the PS3 at $500/$600, nor Microsoft for pricing the 360 at $300/$400. I'll buy the things when I can afford them, because they both have games I want to play. In the meantime, I'm not going to complain about it, as people on the Internet tend to do. (GameFAQs has been unreadable for years, I swear.)

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-03-2007, 07:43 PM
As a guy from Bungie once said:

"The internet is fueled by rage, happy people are the weird exception."

So true. Visit the main forum after a Dolphin loss... or even a win! :tantrum:

FinsNCanes
02-03-2007, 08:55 PM

ill believe it when i see it...and i will purchase it when it warrants it thx

Reistance is actually better then any other 360 launch title and if you actually look what's coming out this year imo the ps3 has better games on the horizon.

Fresh
02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
$600 is nothing, really. It's well worth it.

VanDolPhan
02-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Oblivion
Saints Row

Well when you put the rose colored glasses on I can see how. You dismiss all the ones that the PS3 has lost while at one time or another were exclusive but are now coming out at the exact same time, but at the same time you state the 360 loses titles when your 2 examples were of ones that came out on the PC at the same time or come to PS3 much later. Meanwhile the ones the PS3 are losing are coming out at the same time as the PS3 versions. By the way add Devil May Cry 4 to that list of possibles. Lot of heavy rumor going around right now. Square might be jumping on that bandwagon to with their recent licensing of the Unreal 3 engine. It isn't to a point where PS3 people should be worried yet, but it is a bit unsettling to see the current whispers and some of the games that have switched out of the blue even if they are smaller titles.

PhinSoldia
02-04-2007, 12:04 AM
$600 is nothing, really. It's well worth it.

im sure it is i just dont have that kind of money-IM sure that most of consumers are just like me in waiting for a price drop-or till i get that kind of money to spend without it burning a hole in my pockets

Megatron
02-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Well when you put the rose colored glasses on I can see how. You dismiss all the ones that the PS3 has lost while at one time or another were exclusive but are now coming out at the exact same time, but at the same time you state the 360 loses titles when your 2 examples were of ones that came out on the PC at the same time or come to PS3 much later. Meanwhile the ones the PS3 are losing are coming out at the same time as the PS3 versions. By the way add Devil May Cry 4 to that list of possibles. Lot of heavy rumor going around right now. Square might be jumping on that bandwagon to with their recent licensing of the Unreal 3 engine. It isn't to a point where PS3 people should be worried yet, but it is a bit unsettling to see the current whispers and some of the games that have switched out of the blue even if they are smaller titles.You're just choked you still caan't get one. It's classic XBOX360 owner denial, I see it alot at work.:wink:

Desides
02-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Well when you put the rose colored glasses on I can see how. You dismiss all the ones that the PS3 has lost while at one time or another were exclusive but are now coming out at the exact same time, but at the same time you state the 360 loses titles when your 2 examples were of ones that came out on the PC at the same time or come to PS3 much later.

I can barely make sense of this, but I think what you're saying is that my list was somehow biased because the titles the 360 "lost" were already on PC.

The problem is that you presume the availability of a title on the PC means anything with regards to the PS3 and the 360. It doesn't. If a game is available on the 360 and PC, but not on the PS3, then it's considered a 360 exclusive for purposes of the console wars. If a title is on the PS3 alone, or PS3 and PC, then it's a PS3 exclusive for purposes of the console wars. This is how exclusives have always been judged; the PC version is immaterial in a dicussion about console versions.

But, alright, I'll give you a shot: please name these games I've supposedly left out.

By the way add Devil May Cry 4 to that list of possibles. Lot of heavy rumor going around right now.Rumors are totally meaningless. Furthermore, Capcom has killed the rumors. (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/capcom/capcom-smashes-devil-may-cry-4-xbox-360-rumors-232730.php) Quote: "Devil May Cry 4 is exclusive to PS3."

Square might be jumping on that bandwagon to with their recent licensing of the Unreal 3 engine.Most likely explanation: Final Fantasy XI-2. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9422) Or a brand-new MMO. Regardless, the probability of it being Square-Enix's previously disclosed and unnamed MMO is very, very high, given that Unreal Engine 3 runs on PS3, 360, and PC. Which platforms did Final Fantasy XI run on? PS2, Xbox, and PC. Hmmmmmmmm.