rd 1 Laron Landry S
rd 2 Ryan Harris OT
rd 3 Zak Deossie ILB
rd 4 David Ball WR
rd 6 Quincy Black OLB
rd 7 Lyle Sedlein C

Elliott 1
02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
If we don't trade our second day draft picks to move up in the draft we will have made a huge mistake. We have plenty of players returning healthy to our team next year we really don't need any more mediocre players trying to get the last few places on the roster. We need some, actually 3 or 4 might be enough, playmakers who make an immediate impact on our team. And maybe a young QB if it works out.

rickysdreads
02-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Lyle goes way before 7th round

kwansolo
02-02-2007, 02:32 PM
If we don't trade our second day draft picks to move up in the draft we will have made a huge mistake. We have plenty of players returning healthy to our team next year we really don't need any more mediocre players trying to get the last few places on the roster. We need some, actually 3 or 4 might be enough, playmakers who make an immediate impact on our team. And maybe a young QB if it works out.

So you dont see 4 out of 6 playing next season?

Alex44
02-02-2007, 02:42 PM
The first four in my sig.

Rounds 6 and 7 are almost blind luck most the time......so I didnt really include those.

phinphanforever
02-02-2007, 02:48 PM
There are no guarantees in the draft. How did you arrive at the conclusion that we will be able to move up in the draft by getting rid of our second day picks? You can't move up that far in the draft using second day picks.

I think we should be doing the opposite of what you suggest. I would rather see our team accumulate picks by trading down in the draft. Second day picks can be vaulable. Every NFL team needs to hit on a few of their second day picks if they want to have success.

Trading away picks makes no sense to me. This isn't Madden.

Finfanforever
02-02-2007, 02:49 PM
rd 1 Laron Landry S
rd 2 Ryan Harris OT
rd 3 Zak Deossie ILB
rd 4 David Ball WR
rd 6 Quincy Black OLB
rd 7 Lyle Sedlein C

I thought you said it was an "A+" draft...don't see it...looks to be a C+ to me. :shakeno:

VT Dolphan
02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
rd 1 Laron Landry S
rd 2 Ryan Harris OT
rd 3 Zak Deossie ILB
rd 4 David Ball WR
rd 6 Quincy Black OLB
rd 7 Lyle Sedlein C

No offense, but I think that draft is far from an A+. Landry wouldn't be a bad pick, but I don't want to see us draft a safety two years in a row (and yes, I know that Allen could get moved to corner). I think early second round is a little high for Ryan Harris, there should be a much better talent available. I don't know a whole lot about Deossie, Black or Sedlein so its hard for me to judge them. Ball could be a decent pick in the fourth.

JEgol71
02-02-2007, 02:59 PM
A+ Draft? Here we go:

R1. Calvin Johnson
R2. Joe Thomas
R3. Adrian Peterson
R4. LaRon Landry
R6. Adam Carriker
R7. Jamarcus Russell

Any takers? :lol:

IluvJuMiami
02-02-2007, 03:17 PM

You may have made the most correct statement in the entire forum. We are in a great position to move up and aquire our future, our franchise QB. Who knows when we'll have another opportunity like this.

I know there are a plethora of folk in here skeptical about Brady Quinn, but word is he might be the smartest QB to come out of the draft since Peyton.

We can make, brake, or fall back in this draft but I hope we create our future rather than sit and hope it falls to us.

kwansolo
02-02-2007, 03:25 PM
No offense, but I think that draft is far from an A+. Landry wouldn't be a bad pick, but I don't want to see us draft a safety two years in a row (and yes, I know that Allen could get moved to corner). I think early second round is a little high for Ryan Harris, there should be a much better talent available. I don't know a whole lot about Deossie, Black or Sedlein so its hard for me to judge them. Ball could be a decent pick in the fourth.

What's the problem drafting a Safety two years in a row. You're talkin like Allen made a impact in the secondary last season. I think NOT!! We need a ballhawk someone that could lay the wood (if you know what i mean).If not Landry, please give us Reggie Nelson. This is an area that needs immediate help along with depth.

kwansolo
02-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I thought you said it was an "A+" draft...don't see it...looks to be a C+ to me. :shakeno:

OK, What would your picks look like?

Bpk
02-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Fully agreed.

VT Dolphan
02-02-2007, 03:37 PM
What's the problem drafting a Safety two years in a row. You're talkin like Allen made a impact in the secondary last season. I think NOT!! We need a ballhawk someone that could lay the wood (if you know what i mean).If not Landry, please give us Reggie Nelson. This is an area that needs immediate help along with depth.

Maybe Jason Allen would have played well if he was EVER ON THE FIELD! I did not like that pick at the time, and I still don't like it. But you simply cannot give up on a first round pick that fast. It seems like Yeremiah Bell is a lock at one of the saftey positions. I would at least like to see what Allen could do if given the opportunity to play safety.

Also, you have to remember that safety is NOT a premium position. It is one of the least important positions on defense. A good safety is a luxury, not a necessity as long as your corners are good (and I know, ours are far from good, but still). Quarterback, any o-line or d-line position are all more important than drafting another safety.

Once again, I have nothing against Landry or Nelson. I just think that picking a safety in the first round two years in a row, is a waste. See if Allen can play before you start shifting him around the secondary.

Crowder52
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Second day picks are next to worthless in terms of trade value. You will not be moving up significantly by getting rid of them.

kwansolo
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe Jason Allen would have played well if he was EVER ON THE FIELD! I did not like that pick at the time, and I still don't like it. But you simply cannot give up on a first round pick that fast. It seems like Yeremiah Bell is a lock at one of the saftey positions. I would at least like to see what Allen could do if given the opportunity to play safety.

Also, you have to remember that safety is NOT a premium position. It is one of the least important positions on defense. A good safety is a luxury, not a necessity as long as your corners are good (and I know, ours are far from good, but still). Quarterback, any o-line or d-line position are all more important than drafting another safety.

Once again, I have nothing against Landry or Nelson. I just think that picking a safety in the first round two years in a row, is a waste. See if Allen can play before you start shifting him around the secondary.

OK, i'm going to start off stating that all 11 positions on the field are very important. Now, if you have the right personel in the right position. We strongly in need of a strong safety. It's a big difference if you have a safety that a WR would have to think about twice running a post route or a seem.

If you played Football, you should know what i mean. Pop warner, High School, College, Arena

mf52dolphin
02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
rd 1 Laron Landry S
rd 2 Ryan Harris OT
rd 3 Zak Deossie ILB
rd 4 David Ball WR
rd 6 Quincy Black OLB
rd 7 Lyle Sedlein C

Ah to me that draft would be lucky to get a C-:eek:

Harris is a lousy tackle(see Quinn, Brady, on his back, often). A 1st day pick of him would be a mistake on the ineptitude level as the Wade Smith and Taylor Whitney picks were.

VT Dolphan
02-02-2007, 05:24 PM
OK, i'm going to start off stating that all 11 positions on the field are very important. Now, if you have the right personel in the right position. We strongly in need of a strong safety. It's a big difference if you have a safety that a WR would have to think about twice running a post route or a seem.

If you played Football, you should know what i mean. Pop warner, High School, College, Arena

There is a reason left tackles get paid more than right guards. There is a reason why quarterbacks get paid more than tight ends. There is a reason why cornerbacks get paid more than safeties. Some positions are just more important than others. Ask anyone who knows anything about football and they will tell you that saftey is not a premium position. Drafting another safety would mean that you are basically giving up on Jason Allen already. I know that he was Sabans guy, and Cam has nothing to do with him, but you don't give up on a first round pick after one year.

Using a first round pick on a safety is a good move for a team that has very few holes, and needs help at the position. We have a lot of holes to address. We need help at QB, LT, C, CB, S, and youth for the front seven. And IMO safety is not the most important of those needs, thats all I'm saying.

DolphanD
02-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Safety may be an unglorified position but who wouldn't trade a 1,000 yard back or receiver for a guy like Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Rodney Harrison in his prime, or John Lynch in his prime. Those kind of safeties don't come along every draft and with LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson, and even Brandon Meriweather and Michael Griffin you could have something in the secondary that could make WRs leery and QBs uncomfortable throwing to their side of the field. Especially with so many teams playing their safeties over the top and even all the teams who blitz their safeties. If you can get the total package safety like Ed Reed who can knock your lights out and cover the entire field with better ball skills and hands than most WRs, you've got yourself a rare breed of player who changes the opposing offense's style of play. LaRon Landry reminds me most of that.

Crowder52
02-02-2007, 05:32 PM
There is a reason left tackles get paid more than right guards. There is a reason why quarterbacks get paid more than tight ends. There is a reason why cornerbacks get paid more than safeties. Some positions are just more important than others. Ask anyone who knows anything about football and they will tell you that saftey is not a premium position. Drafting another safety would mean that you are basically giving up on Jason Allen already. I know that he was Sabans guy, and Cam has nothing to do with him, but you don't give up on a first round pick after one year.

Using a first round pick on a safety is a good move for a team that has very few holes, and needs help at the position. We have a lot of holes to address. We need help at QB, LT, C, CB, S, and youth for the front seven. And IMO safety is not the most important of those needs, thats all I'm saying.

I agree with your assessment of importance, but I disagree that drafting a safety means giving up on Allen. There are obviously two safety positions, so Allen paired with another youngster could make for a dominating pair of safeties for years to come.

Now, whether safety is our biggest need or not is a different discussion. But if Landry or Nelson is on the board and is our highest rated player, I see nothing wrong with taking one of them if we don't see value at QB, C, LT, or CB for example (which seems very possible).

That being said, I have always thought and still think that Allen should be played at CB. That was his primary position in college, and I feel like we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by using him at safety.

DolphanD
02-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Now with that post (#19) I'm not saying we should select Landry. I'm sure there will be a player who could serve this team better and at another position, but he would have to be a very special skill-player or a future Pro Bowler if he's a lineman, a pass-rusher or a linebacker at #9. LaRon looks like a can't miss but he would seem to be a luxury pick seeing how Bell is solid at SS and Jason Allen is entering his 2nd year and still learning FS. And with Renaldo Hill being a suitable player if Allen still isn't better next season. It would be great though if our defensive coaches found JAllen was better suited to play CB and Jason started and played solid there for the next 6 years! Then we wouldn't have to resort to starting nickel and dime corners anymore if we sign a veteran and draft a CB on the 1st day. JAllen starting at CB would be like icing on the secondary cake!

DolphanD
02-02-2007, 05:58 PM
rd 1 Laron Landry S
rd 2 Ryan Harris OT
rd 3 Zak Deossie ILB
rd 4 David Ball WR
rd 6 Quincy Black OLB
rd 7 Lyle Sedlein C

EDIT1. Brady Quinn 2. Dwayne Bowe 3. Aaron Ross 4. LaMarr Woodley 5. Ryan Harris 6. Kareem Brownn 7. Aaron Rouse That's dreaming but it's an A+ IMO!

phins3454
02-02-2007, 06:01 PM
A+ Draft? Here we go:

R1. Calvin Johnson
R2. Joe Thomas
R3. Adrian Peterson
R4. LaRon Landry
R6. Adam Carriker
R7. Jamarcus Russell

Nah...thats more of an A- draft:chuckle:

COMEBACKRICKY
02-02-2007, 06:24 PM
A+ Draft? Here we go:

R1. Calvin Johnson
R2. Joe Thomas
R3. Adrian Peterson
R4. LaRon Landry
R6. Adam Carriker
R7. Jamarcus Russell

haha i just skeeted in my pants

Ronski_doodle
02-02-2007, 06:33 PM
How about the 7 Best Players Available. I say 3 BPA over 300#s, And 2 BPA that run 4.4s, 2 BPA tackling machines, and All 7 with the heart of Zach.

MrEd
02-02-2007, 07:12 PM

A team usually only does this when they dont like any other players available the rest of the draft. Or as you've stated...they only need a few specific players that they are targeting at certain positions.

May see us trade up in the second day by using our 6th or 7th round pick and a player we are looking to cut...like Harrington or Booker. That's why it is smart to keep these two players on our roster until draft day.

I would only cut James and Carter before 3/1...and that's it. Then I'd wait for draft day to use Booker and/or Harrington in moving up in a round or two.

If nothing happens...cut them "after" June 1st. Simple really.