02-02-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/02/phil.shadow.ap/index.html

Bucking a trend, Punxsutawney Phil doesn't see shadow
POSTED: 10:57 a.m. EST, February 2, 2007

Story Highlights
• According to German folklore, folks can now expect an early spring
• 15,000 people celebrated in Punxsutawney, a town of about 6,100 people
• Since 1886, Phil has seen his shadow 96 times, hasn't seen it 15 times

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A new pair of hands pulled Punxsutawney Phil from his stump this year, so it was only fitting that the groundhog offered a new prediction.

Phil did not see his shadow on Friday, which, according to German folklore, means folks can expect an early spring instead of six more weeks of winter.

I could have swore I posted this yesterday on Friday.

Anyway early spring hooray!

UltraDol-Fan
02-02-2007, 05:19 PM
how do they know if he sees his shadow?

Chavez Ravine
02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
this is THE stupidest tradition we have in America

Eshlemon
02-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Blame the Germans...or German-Americans.

The Germans believed that if a hibernating animal cast a shadow February 2 -- the Christian holiday of Candlemas -- winter would last another six weeks. If no shadow was seen, legend said spring would come early.

Noodle Arm
02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Blame the Germans.

I always do. :D

Colorado Dolfan
02-02-2007, 07:58 PM
I could have swore I posted this yesterday on Friday.

Boo, hiss!! :wink:

You know... I'm not sure which is more sad: The fact you actually typed that or the fact that I actually laughed at it... :(

Roman529
02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
how do they know if he sees his shadow?

Well if you can't see the groundhog's shadow then neither can he. :wink: I sure hope it is an early Spring. We have had one of the coldest, snowiest winters here in Colorado. :mad:

MNFINFAN
02-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Well if you can't see the groundhog's shadow then neither can he. :wink: I sure hope it is an early Spring. We have had one of the coldest, snowiest winters here in Colorado. :mad:

its colder than **** right now in Minne, woke up to -6 and with the wind it felt like -20, tomorrow its supposed to be more like -40, brr, and you bloody coloradons have taken all the damn snow, we have barely an inch out side it sucks to go sledding or skiing.