PDA

View Full Version : Homage to a friend

Jaydog57
02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Recently a friend of mine commited suicide, and I wrote a passage to his wife, who I'v'e never met, to let her know how much of a friend he was to me. If you know somebody this far down, please let them know that it's a permanent solution to a temporarly problem, and help them out, life is so much brighter.

It’s a distant shore, closer to the sun, and farther from my own world. I cast out the line, hoping for a catch, hoping for that connection. My friend is out there somewhere, in a sea of despair hoping for happiness. I just hope I can catch him before he goes out to sea and is lost . We had many good times together. Can’t forget the times we spent, going places and doing things we never thought we would. My friend Neal showed me things I never thought I’d see, good times I never knew. We shut down bars, we closed down clubs, we made people glad they existed. When you think about the good times you’ve had with a good friend, you know it was real, because after it’s gone you’re left with a smile and a recollection of great times that make you think about how you’ll be so happy to pass those memories on to others.
My line is out, hoping I’ll catch something, a bite perhaps, maybe my friend, I know he’s out there. If I catch him I hope he’ll share more stories with me, more things to pass on to my friends and family and make them smile, like his stories have done before, because that is what he does best.
My friend- Neal Hardy-a total friend in every sense of the word, somebody you want to be in your corner in the worst of times, I know, because he was in mine. You don’t meet people like Neal everyday, but when you do, it’s like looking at the sun, because a brighter spirit you couldn’t find.
I remember when he came home with the Corvette. His flight student, had the 1987 Indy Pace Car as his ride, his dad got it for him. His instructor (Neal) sarcastically asked if he could borrow the car to get lunch, and he said, “No problem”. Neal called the house and said, “I’m coming home, get ready to drive!”. When he pulled up, all three, me him and Mike, piled in the two seater convertible and embarked on a 45 minute journey of infinite high speed bliss. It was more fun than you could ask., which was the case with Neal most of the time. The first time I went flying in a small craft, he took me up, I’ll never forget it. We did a downward spiral, and the fire extinguisher shattered the back window. Of course we had to explain the accident, but I could never explain the good time we had.
They say you meet people for a reason, well now I do. I’m glad I got to know Neal Hardy, and I wish other people had as well. They might have been left with a look of bewilderment, but also a smile, by somebody who wanted to shock them, but also wanted to be their friend.
The suns’ over the horizon now, not sure if I’ll get a bite or not, but I know he’s out there somewhere. Neal’s like that, hard to find sometimes. I know if I fish long enough he’ll show up and I’ll reel him in. He’s got so many stories left to share, and tales to tell. I’m just glad I’m around to carry on with them. I hope they bring a smile to a face, and a laugh to a familiar person who remembers his laugh. Neal had a talent for bringing a smile to your face with a story from work, or life, that can’t be tested, I can testify to that. When I listen to songs like ‘You are so Beautiful’ by Joe Cocker, it’s people like Neal that remind me that songs like that are written. He will always be my friend and I will always miss him. But soon I’ll be happy to see him again in another world, in a higher place, where the boundaries of this life can’t bring him down. I’ll see him surrounded by his loved ones, his family, his wife Nikki, and everybody that makes him happy, and I’ll look forward to seeing his smile.
Tide’s rolling in, sun’s going down, not sure if I’ll catch my friend today, but I’m sure I will someday. He’s around somewhere, with stories to tell, and new adventures to begin with all that care to enjoy them with him. I hope you’ll join him for the ride, I know I will, I’ve got a !st class ticket. I miss you my friend, but I’ll see you soon, very soon.

“Some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright and when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice...but still, the place you
live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone” - Shawshank Redemption
:peace:

Roman529
02-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey Jay...I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Neal. :shakeno:

I think we all have times in life when things get pretty bad, and we often don't want to continue on. But when you end things it is not just an end to your life, but it also often puts an end to the lives of those who cared about you most. I think the best way to remember Neal is to think about the good times and keep on living.

LtDan
02-03-2007, 01:03 AM
seems like I just read this somewhere. Sorry again buddy! Stay strong

Sethdaddy8
02-03-2007, 01:11 AM
I'll have a thought for your friend.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Bro don't hang your head down in sadness, but lift it up, and smile of all the great times you and Neal had together:wink: Sorry to hear of the loss, sounds like he was a great person bro.

GreenMachine
02-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Bro don't hang your head down in sadness, but lift it up, and smile of all the great times you and Neal had together:wink: Sorry to hear of the loss, sounds like he was a great person bro.

Is FFCali the classiest guy on FH? I say yes.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the nice comments bro, but I like all my brothers and sisters here at Finheaven, as they are my family to me!:wink:

NaboCane
02-03-2007, 03:27 AM

There's no doubt in my mind.

I'm sorry about your friend, Jay. Remember him well, and he'll never really be gone. Rejoice in the good of his life. Someday, you'll see him again.

Jaydog57
02-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated :peace::dolphins: :peace:

Celtkin
02-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Damn, Jay. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

If there is anything we can do, let us know. Like Nabo said, you'll see your friend again...just don't make it too soon. :wink:

bullseyeguy
02-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Thats really a well written tribute, thanks for sharing...

CharlestonPhan
02-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Jaydog, that was a great tribute to your friend.

thank you so much for your words, and please take comfort in knowing your words meant a lot to me as well.

i just got home from the funeral of a friend that i have known since childhood, who died in his sleep at the age of 41.

he was a police officer, and a one of a kind person... he had a laugh that was like no one else's, a mischievous smirk that always told you a good natured but smart-*ss comment was on the way, and a twinkle in his eye like no one i have ever seen.

he was at times a K-9 officer (his dog Ajax and he were very well known in my area), and also a traffic officer and a beat cop during his 22 year law enforcement career. rest in peace Brian McEvers, City of Charleston police department.

i hope that you find comfort and peace in the days to come, and i pray for you, and the family and friends of your deceased friend. i am sorry for your loss.

Jaydog57
02-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Jaydog, that was a great tribute to your friend.

thank you so much for your words, and please take comfort in knowing your words meant a lot to me as well.

i just got home from the funeral of a friend that i have known since childhood, who died in his sleep at the age of 41.

he was a police officer, and a one of a kind person... he had a laugh that was like no one else's, a mischievous smirk that always told you a good natured but smart-*ss comment was on the way, and a twinkle in his eye like no one i have ever seen.

he was at times a K-9 officer (his dog Ajax and he were very well known in my area), and also a traffic officer and a beat cop during his 22 year law enforcement career. rest in peace Brian McEvers, City of Charleston police department.

i hope that you find comfort and peace in the days to come, and i pray for you, and the family and friends of your deceased friend. i am sorry for your loss.Thanks for the kind words man, I'm sorry about your friend, he sounds like a good man, and a real hero. :peace:

inFINSible
02-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Sorry about your loss, dog. Your friend sounds like one i've had and I'm sure we've all had. You know, that one guy that you never know what's going to happen when you get together but, it always ends up being one of those times that you never forget.

peace Bro, to you and your friend.