PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Holly Fans/Music?

SKing29
02-03-2007, 05:51 AM
Okay, well recently I have been introduced to Buddy Holly and his music and I was just wondering if anybody else on here are fans of his and could give me some information about where to find some of the best cd's of his. Now I've been looking around and there are tons of compelations and such but I want to know which ones are the best and where I can find them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:D

King Nate
02-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Um...I like the song "Buddy Holly" by Weezer. Does that count?

SKing29
02-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah of course....Well, I like the song anyway.

Noodle Arm
02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow...it's great to see a young person interested in other music besides what's currently on the radio. Expanding your musical horizons is a great thing, there's so much great music out there that many people haven't heard of or don't want to listen to because it's "old".

To answer your question, well I'm not sure your local Best Buy will have a massive Buddy Holly collection, so your best bet will to go through Amazon. This is a recent compilation that seems to have everything you'll need.
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:c9ec97ygkrat
NO that's not Conan O' Brien on the cover :tongue:

SKing29
02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Wow...it's great to see a young person interested in other music besides what's currently on the radio. Expanding your musical horizons is a great thing, there's so much great music out there that many people haven't heard of or don't want to listen to because it's "old".

To answer your question, well I'm not sure your local Best Buy will have a massive Buddy Holly collection, so your best bet will to go through Amazon. This is a recent compilation that seems to have everything you'll need.
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:c9ec97ygkrat
NO that's not Conan O' Brien on the cover :tongue:

Thanks for the site, I was actually looking on Amazon.com last night and was looking athe the definitive collection and was on the fence about it, but the site you game me referred me to the gold collection which has 2 discs with 25 songs each, and although that is not the entire collection but very good. So please anyone that has any recommendations please give me a heads up.

Jaydog57
02-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Buddy Holly was a pioneer of rock music, got some great stuff. You might want to check out 'The Buddy Holly Story' from 1978. It's pretty accurate, and can give you some more insight to his life and music. :peace:

Roman529
02-03-2007, 05:55 PM
I was a teaching assistant for a year at Texas Tech University in Lubbock...they have a statue of Buddy Holly in Lubbock, they place he was from. I think he would have been remembered just like Elvis....he was an incredibly talented song writer and singer. He died with Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper,,,,the day the music died......Waylon Jennings would have died on the plane as well, but he gave up his seat. There was a good movie about his life in which Gary Busey played him.

They all died 48 years ago today....Feb. 3, 1959. :(

SKing29
02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
It was actually watching the Buddy Holly Movie with Gary Busey that got me interested in the music (although I believe it may have been Busey singing in the movie, not sure because I'm still new to the music). I find it interesting that he died on this date in 1959, its weird how the true greats can gain fans over a half century after their death.

NJFINSFAN1
02-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Okay, well recently I have been introduced to Buddy Holly and his music and I was just wondering if anybody else on here are fans of his and could give me some information about where to find some of the best cd's of his. Now I've been looking around and there are tons of compelations and such but I want to know which ones are the best and where I can find them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:D

Use to listen to my moms 45's

Please tell me you know what 45's are!:(

SKing29
02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, those are the guns me and my homies use:tongue: Of course , I know what a 45 is, its a record. My parents actually still use them. I think its bit of a misconception that the younger generations don't know what 45s and such are.

NJFINSFAN1
02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, those are the guns me and my homies use:tongue: Of course , I know what a 45 is, its a record. My parents actually still use them. I think its bit of a misconception that the younger generations don't know what 45s and such are.

Well, your 19, ask a kid in HS or younger, you would be surprised. Half the kids don't know what a 8 track is.

Den54
02-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Ever listen to a 33?

SKing29
02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
True I agree with you some people can't see beyond their IPod, cell phone, and myspace. Most probably don't even know what a cassette is. I think along the same lines as what Noodle Arm said, and that would be that I feel peole should broaden their view of the world and not just relegate themselves to what is the current popular thing to do. I mean don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be one of the non-conformist people because I do enjoy a lot of popular culture, but I enjoy looking into things outside of it more. I enjoy music like that of Buddy Holly because I find it a lot more pure and creative than most of the music today (but not all by a long shot). I don't know maybe its just me but a lot of the music today is so repetitive, because whatever is a hit it just gets reproduced, the sound and everything and it all just seems the same. Thats just my opinion though.

SKing29
02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Ever listen to a 33?

That I would have to say, no too.

NJFINSFAN1
02-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Ever listen to a 33?

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

FinaciousOne
02-03-2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.kiddierecords.com/week_33/record_label.jpg

When I was a teenager in Daytona they used to throw baseballs at 33 1/3 rpm records down at the boardwalk.
Little did they realize they were making my Dad's collection from the 20's and 30's more valuable.:lol:

I like it when younger people are interested in music, but I always have to chuckle when peolple have such strong opinions as to whats good and whats bad when they haven't had the pleasure of even hearing the cats that laid the foundation for today's music.

Buddy Holly is a good example. He was influenced by those before him as he influenced such ones as the Beatles:

John Lennon's early style has clear relationships to Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison ("Misery" from 1963 and "Please Please Me" from 1963). "That'll Be the Day" was the first song Lennon learned to play and sing accurately and the first song the proto-Beatles ever put to vinyl. McCartney admitted, "At least the first forty songs we wrote were Buddy Holly influenced." Lennon said that Holly "made it okay to wear glasses. I WAS Buddy Holly." The naming of the Beatles (originally the Silver Beatles) was of course, Lennon's way of paying tribute to Buddy Holly's band, The Crickets. The Beatles covered Holly's "Words of Love" on their album Beatles for Sale.

Link (http://www.liverpoolcityportal.co.uk/beatles/beatles_influences.html)