PDA

View Full Version : I met a Pearl Harbor survivor Today!

Jaydog57
02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I went to Publix, and walking through the parking lot, I saw a car in the handicapped spot that had a license plate that said "Pearl Harbor Survivor", so I was interested. At the time, it was early, not many people in the store. I was walking down the aisles, and I saw senior citizen, very old, and asked him if he'd served in WWII. He said, "Yes, I was at Pearl Harbor", which I hoped to hear. I told him about my grandfather in the 'Battle of the Bulge', and then congraulated him on is service, and told him "thank you". He was very courteous and appreciative of the whole ordeal. If you find a person that sacrificed everything like this guy, please give him thanks, and let him know you're happy for what he did. :peace:

Bruzer
02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
My grandfather was a was in the calvary at the beginning and was a tank commander for the rest of the war. Although to bad I never got to know him he had Alzheimer's and couldn't remember anything by the time and I was young none the less I do appreciate everything they did.

SCall13
02-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I went to Publix, and walking through the parking lot, I saw a car in the handicapped spot that had a license plate that said "Pearl Harbor Survivor", so I was interested. At the time, it was early, not many people in the store. I was walking down the aisles, and I saw senior citizen, very old, and asked him if he'd served in WWII. He said, "Yes, I was at Pearl Harbor", which I hoped to hear. I told him about my grandfather in the 'Battle of the Bulge', and then congraulated him on is service, and told him "thank you". He was very courteous and appreciative of the whole ordeal. If you find a person that sacrificed everything like this guy, please give him thanks, and let him know you're happy for what he did. :peace:

That's awesome. And it was great of you to go out of your way to stop him and say thank you. I don't think anyone could truly appreciate the hell they must have went through that day.

NJFINSFAN1
02-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Good job, they need to hear it everyday. Those men and women are the best, just think about what they did and went thru.

No offense to the modern army/navy whom I have all the respect in the world for. But man, WWI and WWII, wow.

FinaciousOne
02-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Pretty cool.
I've met a lot of WWII vets here in STex.
It's always interesting to listen to their stories if they will talk about it.
On one side of my family I've got an uncle who survived the Bataan Death March. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March) in 1942
On the other side, I've got a second cousin who survived Canada in 1970.

NJFINSFAN1
02-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Pretty cool.
On one side of my family I've got an uncle who survived the Bataan Death March. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March) in 1942
On the other side, I've got a second cousin who survived Canada in 1970.

I read a great book, and a movie was made about it (The Great raid), awesome true story about a rescue of some of the survivors of the March.

FinaciousOne
02-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I read a great book, and a movie was made about it (The Great raid), awesome true story about a rescue of some of the survivors of the March.

WWII was amazing on so many levels.
It's amazing what some men can survive.
It's amazing what some men can perpetrate.
It's amazing what intense hate can cause.
It's amazing what unselfish love can prevent.

In my youth, I had the honor of meeting and listening to ones who had survived Germany's concentration camps. Many in the camps were not Jews, but were German Christians who refused to support Hitlers war machine. They could have recieved their freedom if they compromised and signed a sworn oath of allegiance to the Third Reich. There were thousands who opposed Hitler that we rarely hear about today. Many paid with their lives, though ironically a greater percentage survived the camps because apparently the Germans were more interested in breaking them than killing them.

Jaydog57
02-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Pretty cool.
On the other side, I've got a second cousin who survived Canada in 1970.Wow, the Bataan Death March was like a living hell. My grandfather told me of liberating the camps in Germany, Auschwitz, etc. He'd shown me many pictures of the piles of bodies he'd taken over there, before he passed away. Something I'm sure he would not want to relive. :peace:

HysterikiLL
02-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Battle of the Bulge sounds like a charity fun-run for Wisconsin'ers.

jason8er
02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
They don't call them "The Greatest Generation" for nothing. You made his day bro. Good on ya!

Pagan
02-03-2007, 10:43 PM
When I meet a WWII Veteran I always shake their hand and thank them for what they've done.

If not for them we'd all be goosestepping...or dead.

Celtkin
02-03-2007, 10:44 PM
That's pretty cool, bro.

I once bought a car from a former member (Colonel) of the Black Sheep Squadron and I had the privilege of meeting General Westmoreland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_William_Westmoreland) (Army Chief of Staff) and General Tibbets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tibbets) (Pilot of the Enola Gay) while working on their protective services detail.

On a side note, I developed a good relationship with General Rogers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_W._Rogers) (NATO Supreme Commander) while working an investigation in Germany.

All of those guys deserve so much of our respect.

Roman529
02-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I've met a few Pearl Harbor survivors and they are all great men. My dad was stationed in Hawaii in the late 1960's and he got to be an extra in the movie Toro, Toro, Toro,.....they needed guys to run away from the planes on the runways that were being shot up by the Japanes zeros, so my dad volunteered. I lived in Hawaii for three years as a kid and would definitely recommend anyone who hasn't been there to go visit the U.S.S. Arizona memorial....it is so quiet and peaceful....you can still see drops of oil bubbling up from the Arizona, and there is a wall dedicated with the names of all the people who died.