PDA

View Full Version : yo d-day...prince

Metal Panda
02-04-2007, 09:23 PM
What'd you think of Prince's halftime show?

I thought he was awesome, although I woulda preferred him playing fewer songs but completing them.

Killed me to hear half of Purple Rain, only part of Let's Go Crazy...:(

The Confessor
02-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I woulda preferred him playing fewer songs :(

Yeah me too. I think ZERO shouldve been a good number of songs for him to do:tongue:

d-day
02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
What'd you think of Prince's halftime show?

I thought he was awesome, although I woulda preferred him playing fewer songs but completing them.

Killed me to hear half of Purple Rain, only part of Let's Go Crazy...:(

bro - like we talked about in the other thread - a totally live performance in the pouring rain - one of the greatest musician/songwriters of our time - i was floored and had goosebumps the whole show - this guy is one of the best guitar players ever...

...and i'm with you on the complete song stuff - i would rather here 5 complete songs then hear 20 cut short and blended together - medleys are cheap and just generally suck, imo - great transition into the foo fighters song though

Den54
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah me too. I think ZERO shouldve been a good number of songs for him to do:tongue:

Sorry if you were expecting K. D. Lang.:tongue:

Alex44
02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Seriously I dont understand the appeal of Prince......mostly because he wasnt/isnt my time I guess. But the guy doesnt even have that good of a voice (now anyway)

d-day
02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Seriously I dont understand the appeal of Prince......mostly because he wasnt/isnt my time I guess. But the guy doesnt even have that good of a voice (now anyway)

then you kind of answered your own question - if you don't know much about the guy, how could you ever understand his appeal

Den54
02-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Ohhh the women I nailed while Prince was playing.
Good times.

King Nate
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
He shoulda done "Kiss."

Sethdaddy8
02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
then you kind of answered your own question - if you don't know much about the guy, how could you ever understand his appeal

Yea, Prince is among the best song writers of the last 25 years. He's like Bob Dylan when it comes to..."no sh*t, I didn't know he wrote that?!" Prince is awesome...a bit wacky, but a true musical genius.

King Nate
02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Yea, Prince is among the best song writers of the last 25 years. He's like Bob Dylan when it comes to..."no sh*t, I didn't know he wrote that?!" Prince is awesome...a bit wacky, but a true musical genius.

Why don't you go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

Game...blouses.

NJFINSFAN1
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
He is a flake that wasted his talent. Its that simple!

d-day
02-04-2007, 11:28 PM

lol - yeah he did - wasted it all the way to the halftime show of one of the most watched tv events on the planet

FLOUNDER
02-04-2007, 11:29 PM
He played a little jimi hendrix, all along the watchtower. My god he butchered that

HysterikiLL
02-04-2007, 11:29 PM
bro - like we talked about in the other thread - a totally live performance in the pouring rain - one of the greatest musician/songwriters of our time - i was floored and had goosebumps the whole show - this guy is one of the best guitar players ever...

...and i'm with you on the complete song stuff - i would rather here 5 complete songs then hear 20 cut short and blended together - medleys are cheap and just generally suck, imo - great transition into the foo fighters song though

:yes: to all

HysterikiLL
02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
He played a little jimi hendrix, all along the watchtower. My god he butchered that

i thought he did a terrific job with jimi

Pagan
02-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm still amazed to this day that people would put Prince down.

If ya'll had half the talent that man had, then you could talk. :shakeno:

Flawless performance during a downpour. The man is gold.

d-day
02-04-2007, 11:36 PM

that's a bob dylan song

FLOUNDER
02-04-2007, 11:38 PM
that's a bob dylan song

jmi hendrix did it better. So im my eyes, its a hendrix song

d-day
02-04-2007, 11:38 PM
i thought he did a terrific job with jimi

agree - he made it his own - all along the prince tower

wazzy
02-04-2007, 11:41 PM
There should of been another act if the NFL was smart! I am not bashing Prince I am just saying he is more of a love/hate type guy and if you had another act to start it up it would of been better and more appealing to all the crowds watching the SB halftime show!

Sethdaddy8
02-04-2007, 11:44 PM

of course if Dylan never wrote it, Jimi would have never performed it.

Sethdaddy8
02-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Why don't you go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

Game...blouses.

???
what r you talking about?

edit: to not sound like a d***

FLOUNDER
02-04-2007, 11:50 PM
I think thats off a movie....

wazzy
02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
???

F*** you talking about?

It is from the David Chapelle show!

Sethdaddy8
02-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Oh, My bad then...didn't see that one... Hence, i didn't get the reference...its superbowl sunday and 11pm...im a bit surly. didnt mean to be a d***.

Timmy54
02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Prince is the man, who else would not only play in a driving rainstorm but to kick butt like he did, mega props. by the way, i am sure he would have loved to do a lot of stuff but the NFL only gave him a specific amount of time and he tried to get a few greats in. What an awesome entertainer.

d-day
02-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Oh, My bad then...didn't see that one... Hence, i didn't get the reference...its superbowl sunday and 11pm...im a bit surly. didnt mean to be a d***.

a scene right from the purple rain movie - apollonia strips down and jumps in the lake in all her big tater glory

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/image16mcjpgw300h435-1.jpg

Sethdaddy8
02-05-2007, 12:08 AM
a scene right from the purple rain movie - apollonia strips down and jumps in the lake in all her big tater glory

http://www.pxdrive.com/pics/norm/10982.jpg

very nice

wpgfishfan
02-05-2007, 12:18 AM
He did a great job tonight.

Rumor has it he might need hip replacement surgery but he looked fine to me

And I mean fine not FINE!!!!!!!!!!!

FinsNCanes
02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
I thought it was a good show overall.

I still was wishing inside he would have busted his *** on the soaked stage.

Alot of the girls at the place I was at loved Prince.

FinaciousOne
02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
He did a great job tonight.

Rumor has it he might need hip replacement surgery but he looked fine to me

After Kim Basinger, Sherilyn Fenn, Apollonia Kotero, Carmen Electra, Vanity, Troy Beyer and Sheena Easton, etc, etc he probably does. That's a lot of use for 1 lifetime.

Whether one understands Prince's appeal or not, its hard to argue against his influence and popularity. He's still generating over $50 mil a year and the women still swoon. There are few artists who can hang with him.

As far as playing in the rain, if you've never done it, it might be easy to underestimate how dificult it is. In the 'old days' (late 70s and 80's) it was down right dangerous. Touch your strings and get your lips too close to a microphone and you'll get a mini light show along with Joe Cocker gyrations.

HysterikiLL
02-05-2007, 01:05 AM

http://www.pxdrive.com/pics/norm/10982.jpg

http://pattyapolloniakotero.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/image16mc.jpg.w300h435.jpg

hot dog that's a fine piece of meat

Scatman
02-05-2007, 02:10 AM
wish he woulda played a little basketball on stage...at least one dunk for the crowd you know.

Roman529
02-05-2007, 02:16 AM
The two chickies on stage with him were hot...looked like twins. :tongue:

Sethdaddy8
02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
The two chickies on stage with him were hot...looked like twins. :tongue:

Prince always finds top shelf babes.

HysterikiLL
02-05-2007, 02:46 AM
cyrus, who is that chick...i must know who is that chick

Colorado Dolfan
02-05-2007, 02:49 AM
Never been a fan of Prince, but I loved this halftime show. Honestly thought it was the best halftime show I've seen in years...

DrAstroZoom
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
This was a fantastic halftime show. Prince's rainsoaked performance was epic. I loved the Foo Fighters (:eek:) cover, and I can't believe no one has mentioned he was wearing Dolphin colors!

After about four years in a row of halftime suckage, this was solid.

retired opfinistic
02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Ohhh the women I nailed while Prince was playing.
Good times.
I lost my man-cherry to 'Purple Rain'!:D

retired opfinistic
02-05-2007, 12:13 PM
TSOL rocked that song out in the 80's!

Motion
02-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Horrible halftime show as usual, I don't remember the last time I saw a good one actually. WTF was he playing a Foo Fighters song for?

vmarcilfan75
02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Horrible halftime show as usual, I don't remember the last time I saw a good one actually. WTF was he playing a Foo Fighters song for?

maybe out of respect since FF covered his song Little Nicky

Motion
02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
maybe out of respect since FF covered his song Little Nicky

Ah, okay. Didn't sound half as good as the Foo's! :D

vmarcilfan75
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM

yeah cant top FF original version :D

Pagan
02-05-2007, 12:38 PM
You been hanging out with It too long. :wink:

Motion
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM

:lol: What makes you say that????

NJFINSFAN1
02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
This was a fantastic halftime show. Prince's rainsoaked performance was epic. I loved the Foo Fighters (:eek:) cover, and I can't believe no one has mentioned he was wearing Dolphin colors!

After about four years in a row of halftime suckage, this was solid.

My wife said that, but she said Aqua and orange :shakeno:

I had to spank her for that one.

NJFINSFAN1
02-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm still amazed to this day that people would put Prince down.

If ya'll had half the talent that man had, then you could talk. :shakeno:

Flawless performance during a downpour. The man is gold.

I think the guy has a ton of talent, I just think he wastes most of it on the stuff he plays.

FinaciousOne
02-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I lost my man-cherry to 'Purple Rain'!:D

If you mean the Album 'Purple Rain' (43 Minutes):cool2: Prince would approve.
If you mean the song :shakeno: :wink:

Pagan
02-05-2007, 02:08 PM
:lol: What makes you say that????
I dunno....call it a hunch. :lol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
ugghhhh prince is amazing. best halftime ever. it's pouring rain and he's not affected whatsoever and plays the guitar perfectly and looked so damn pretty doing so. in terms of talent + presentation, he's one of the best ever.

miamikid92
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
omg!! so thats who chappelle was playing in that one episode!! lmao!!

i thought it was awesome, his guitar sounded better then any i've ever heard in my life

Noodle Arm
02-05-2007, 04:49 PM
omg!! so thats who chappelle was playing in that one episode!! lmao!!

This made me cry :cry: I'm getting so old.

i thought it was awesome, his guitar sounded better then any i've ever heard in my life

But then I was happy again :party:

Phin-o-rama
02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
prince's performance was nothing short of impressive. I have not been a major prince fan, in fact never bought an album and honestly hadn't listened to him that much. I didn't know he could shred a guitar like that, and in a steady downpour no less......if only he'd lose the aunt jamima rag on his head

NJFINSFAN1
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
prince's performance was nothing short of impressive. I have not been a major prince fan, in fact never bought an album and honestly hadn't listened to him that much. I didn't know he could shred a guitar like that, and in a steady downpour no less......if only he'd lose the aunt jamima rag on his head

I thought that was so funny, I kept thinking of Aunt Jamina!:lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Finch83
02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
He played a Foo Fighters song which made me go "wtf" ,but he made up for that with Purple Rain. That was great!

FinsNCanes
02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
His Dolphin gear was awesome :cooldude:

Majpain
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Best half-time show I have seen.

In_Flames
02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
He played a Foo Fighters song which made me go "wtf" ,but he made up for that with Purple Rain. That was great!

Yeah I was wondering what was up with that as well...interesting choice :hmmm:

Muck
02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Best half time show I can remember. The NFL finally got it right. They should just let him do it every year. Tremendous. Those of us who've seen Prince play, you knew it was gonna be righteous.

Good to see some people recognizing the added level of difficulty of doing what he did in a driving rain. Not only more difficult circumstances, but mentally.....it adds a lot of pressure and uncertainty. No problem for Prince.

And those two hot dancers.....they were doing their thing in heels. I kept seeing them hitting puddles and standing water. They could have easily busted their ***** on worldwide TV.

Prince was great. And his dancers and band deserve props as well for their flawless performance. Flawless in front of hundreds of millions of people around the world.

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:13 PM

Bah, you all are just clueless.

Prince is a legend, although because he was sometimes filthy and vile lyrically and very narcissistic, people forget that.

Classic albums by Prince:

Dirty Mind
Purple Rain
Around the World in a Day
Sign o' The Times

Check em out, then get back to me

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:15 PM

First of all, as a vocalist myself, I'd be lying if I said Prince was the most gifted vocalist to ever grace the Earth, but then again, half of the artists people on this board celebrate aren't either.

He has a good pop voice, and his voice has a lot of personality. It's unique.

And your last comment is confusing, because his voice has held up very well. That "yelling" he was doing was intentional....he yelled like that in "The Beautiful Ones" on Purple Rain.

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:16 PM

wasted his talent creating classic albums and songs that everybody sings behind closed doors but pretend to hate in public?

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Uhm, no, that would be Bob Dylan.

Jimi Hendrix "covered" All Along the Watchtower.

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:18 PM

Well, the Minnetonka line is from Purple Rain the movie actually....which they used on Chappelle's show.

(Purple Rain was a horrible movie, great album!)

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:20 PM

No disrespect, but Prince did the Foo Fighters a favor by covering that.

FF haven't been worth a goddamn since their self-titled debut.

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:25 PM
In tribute, I'm totally singing "Delirious" at karaoke night tomorrow.

He shoulda so done that one yesterday.

d-day
02-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Bah, you all are just clueless.

Prince is a legend, although because he was sometimes filthy and vile lyrically and very narcissistic, people forget that.

Classic albums by Prince:

Dirty Mind
Purple Rain
Around the World in a Day
Sign o' The Times

Check em out, then get back to me

don't stop there - lovesexy is my all-time fave - i just got a rare copy that wasn't continous - with all the other copies you actually had to fast forward if you wanted to hear a song that wasn't in consecutive order - diamonds and pearls is pretty complete and has insatiable and the next record was the bomb too w/ sweet baby and the continental

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:33 PM
don't stop there - lovesexy is my all-time fave - i just got a rare copy that wasn't continous - with all the other copies you actually had to fast forward if you wanted to hear a song that wasn't in consecutive order - diamonds and pearls is pretty complete and has insatiable and the next record was the bomb too w/ sweet baby and the continental

OMG, my version is the one that came on one track! I HATE that...

I haven't really heard much of the NPG stuff. I know I wasn't a big fan of Gold because it sounded horribly deriviative of the times and that timeframe wasn't pretty (mid 90s). although "P****y control" was good and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" was a classic.

I might need to check out Diamonds and Pearls.

d-day
02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
OMG, my version is the one that came on one track! I HATE that...

I haven't really heard much of the NPG stuff. I know I wasn't a big fan of Gold because it sounded horribly deriviative of the times and that timeframe wasn't pretty (mid 90s). although "P****y control" was good and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" was a classic.

I might need to check out Diamonds and Pearls.

diamonds and pearls has a lot of hits like cream and get off, but like all the other great albums it's the non-hits that make the record - insatiable itself is worth the purchase but other songs like strollin' and money don't matter tonight make it

Nappy Roots
02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
i thought the performance was cool even though i know nothing of princes work. outside of the doorag, with the rain, him playin the guitar, him and the girls no slippin, and his voice bein on note, it was pretty impressive..

i wish they had another performance from Trick Daddy though. miami native with hits out on the radio? why not?

d-day
02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
here it is - insatiable - baby makin' music...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CGV3ymrdumE

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM
diamonds and pearls has a lot of hits like cream and get off, but like all the other great albums it's the non-hits that make the record - insatiable itself is worth the purchase but other songs like strollin' and money don't matter tonight make it

agreed.

I'm listening to "Let's Pretend We're Married" right now. Lyrically, this is one only Prince could have gotten away with.

d-day
02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
i'm listening to she's always in my hair - funky, raw, and melodic all wrapped into one

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:46 PM
D.M.D.S. now.

I wish he had kept this sound for a few more albums. Long funk jams. Minneapolis sound!

d-day
02-05-2007, 11:48 PM
D.M.D.S. now.

I wish he had kept this sound for a few more albums. Long funk jams. Minneapolis sound!

girl, now for me - the guy is so badash how he can write in so many different styles

d-day
02-05-2007, 11:58 PM
ballad of dorothy parker on now - nice reference to joni mitchell - she's #1 on my all-time list

HysterikiLL
02-05-2007, 11:59 PM

:lol: My first thought exactly. Taking a ride to the top of Pessimist Mountain.

FinsNCanes
02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
I asked one of the girls at the party why she thought Prince was sexy and she replied..

"I don't know. There is something sexy about a man you can share makeup with and know you can kick his ***". I thought it was hilarious.

Metal Panda
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Males are just jealous they don't get the play he does.

His wardrobe does get stranger by the year though.

FinaciousOne
02-06-2007, 12:18 AM
here it is - insatiable - baby makin' music...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CGV3ymrdumE

I can just imagine how many homemade videos have this as their soundtrack.:lol:

finswin56
02-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll give you a bad *** on his ukelele. Seriously, I don't think the ukelele was supposed to be played like this.

O9mEKMz2Pvo

DrAstroZoom
02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Of course, I knew that somebody would find controversy (pun intended) somewhere in Prince's Super Bowl performance.

When is a guitar more than a guitar? (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17013425/)

I actually noticed this during the game ...

Uh-oh ... Prince just got all phallic in silhouette. CBS has to be crapping a brick.

That said ... awesome performance.

dreday
02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I thought he showed courage out there in the rain.Me and my boys were wondering if Prince was gonna have a short in his guitar out there.Man that would have been crazy talk after the game,seeing as the game wasnt really that exciting anyway.

Metal Panda
02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
He was pretty safe as he was using wireless setups across the board anyway.

texasPHINSfan
02-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I thought he showed courage out there in the rain.Me and my boys were wondering if Prince was gonna have a short in his guitar out there.Man that would have been crazy talk after the game,seeing as the game wasnt really that exciting anyway.

of course he's not going to have a short.... the guitar wasn't plugged in. it was all pre-recorded!

:sidelol: @ metalpanda ;)

Megatron
02-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Great show, and I found the Foo Fighters thing hilarious. Prince does what he wants and that's that. You'd be surprised how many songs you might like that he actually wrote or produced for other bands.

DeathStar
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM

:lol:

Metal Panda
02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Ok, so I got the "love symbol" album and Diamonds and Pearls, as these were two that were missing from my collection (which now totals 11 Prince albums).

LOVE both of them. Wow. I shied away from the NPG material because I heard the underwhelming "Gold" album, which was the only album by Prince other than Under a Cherry MOon that I didn't like.

But these are solid!

Silverphin
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Great show, and I found the Foo Fighters thing hilarious. Prince does what he wants and that's that. You'd be surprised how many songs you might like that he actually wrote or produced for other bands.

A poster in this thread (I forgot who) said that one of his songs were covered by the Foo Fighters before and that it may be out of respect that Prince covered their song.

Metal Panda
02-16-2007, 12:45 AM
so d-day...do you have any thoughts on "Musicology" and "3121", his latest two?

I REALLY like Musicology (just got it)...think it has a lot of his old songwriting panache and doesn't sound horribly trendy. "3121" is pretty good ("Lolita", the one he did on Idol, is great), but some of the stuff just makes me go "why?" (like when he uses the digital voice effect on the fifth track....he's above gimmicks like that!)

alls I know is, with the stress I've been going through lately, i've been listening to only Prince to relieve it.

d-day
02-16-2007, 03:50 PM

I REALLY like Musicology (just got it)...think it has a lot of his old songwriting panache and doesn't sound horribly trendy. "3121" is pretty good ("Lolita", the one he did on Idol, is great), but some of the stuff just makes me go "why?" (like when he uses the digital voice effect on the fifth track....he's above gimmicks like that!)

alls I know is, with the stress I've been going through lately, i've been listening to only Prince to relieve it.

wow - i just downloaded both those cd's 2 nights ago - also, xpectation which was distributed internet only - haven't had the chance to listen any yet - threw a disco party last night - was that ever fun - and then the mor comes in tonight - can't wait to line those 3 cd's up though

Metal Panda
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
cool.

I so wanna fly to Vegas and see one of his shows that's playing over the next two weeks.

Quelonio
03-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Musicology is what turned me to a Prince fan after actually disliking him all my life (to be honest I had never given him a chance)... But I love picking up music that I don't know and giving it a shot, and a lot of critics had loved musicology so I got it to try it out, and I was blown away... the album is amazing from start to finish.

I love Prince