PDA

View Full Version : Two terrible things about today....

Lee2000
02-05-2007, 12:10 AM
The commercials of the Super Bowl were the worse as a collective that I have ever seen. Terrible is too good a word.

Art Monk deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. His continued absence is a complete travisty. NO excuses from the voters. The guy held receiving records prior to Jerry Rice. And he went to Super Bowls. Give me a break.

Lee2000

Uncle Rico II
02-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree with the commercials, luckily the game was good.

Monk will get in with time.

Mr772
02-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Don't forget the most pathectic halftime show in the history of television. I don't even think that guy could make it to the second round of american idol.

phinphanforever
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
The commercials of the Super Bowl were the worse as a collective that I have ever seen. Terrible is too good a word.

Art Monk deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. His continued absence is a complete travisty. NO excuses from the voters. The guy held receiving records prior to Jerry Rice. And he went to Super Bowls. Give me a break.

Lee2000
Can't comment on the commercials since the broadcaster doesn't cover the same ads but you're dead on with Monk. It amazes me that this guy keeps getting snubbed.

MrEd
02-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Lee2000

:confused: Who the heck even cares about the "commercials"??? :shakeno:

Phanatical
02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Don't forget the most pathectic halftime show in the history of television. I don't even think that guy could make it to the second round of american idol.

Dude, are you kidding??? Prince is A W E S O M E!!!! EVERY football fan LOOOOOOOOOOVES Prince!!! Especially us old redneck hillbillies from Kentucky!!!! Bible belt worships him, and Falwell has all his albums. Too bad they couldn't get some PURPLE rain to fall during the show!!!!!

Aqua4Ever04
02-05-2007, 12:34 AM

It's a good thing me and my buddies have a Super Bowl tradition to play a quick touch football game at half time. I didn't see one second of that halftime show and I got to have a great time with the greatest friends in the world. I love everything about the Super Bowl, I can't imagine what it would be like with the Dolphins in it.

67Stang
02-05-2007, 12:35 AM
:confused: Who the heck even cares about the "commercials"??? :shakeno:

Most everyone! Ofcourse the game comes first, but the commercials are always looked forward to. I liked the theft deterent cell phone from last year, this years were weak.

MoneyBrown
02-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Especially us old redneck hillbillies from Kentucky!!!!

Acceptance is the first step....

Hardpoint
02-05-2007, 02:00 AM
I didn't see the half-time show, as the group of Bears fans I was watching get depressed before my Colt rooting eyes, were all playing Guitar Hero II.

PS I came dressed in Full Dolphins regalia. That kinda got under the skin of a few of the Bears fans, I think, especially after mentioning my being at The Game (tm) . :)

List of attire:
* Aqua JT jersey over
* Navy long sleeve Fins logo shirt (Miami Dolphins in orange and white down the left sleeve)
* gray Fins logo knit beanie
* black suede Fins jacket (my pride and joy)
* Aqua Fins logo socks

RealityBites
02-05-2007, 02:00 AM

Lee2000

Ditto! Not sure why Art has been getting screwed for so many years by teh voters...I always thought he was outstanding. Shame on the voters!

GridIronKing34
02-05-2007, 02:07 AM

Lee2000

Michael Irvin gets in.. but Art Monk doesn't... go figure :rolleyes2

Mr.Majestik
02-05-2007, 02:36 AM

Lee2000

Art Monk isn't in the Hall of Fame, for the same reason Kuechenberg isn't in the Hall of Fame, because he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. How many times does someone have to go over the numbers? He's been to Super Bowls? Cliff Branch won three of them, and he's been Hall eligible for twenty-years and isn't in. What did Art Monk do? He went to 3 Pro Bowls, that's not Hall worthy. He's 31st in receiving touchdowns, that isn't Hall worthy. He has fewer receiving yards then his contemporaries Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Jame Lofton, Henry Ellard, Andre Reed, Steve Largent, and Irving Fryar. Monk only had 5-1,000 yard seasons. Michael Irvin had 7 such seasons. Irvin v. Monk, that isn't even a contest really. Irvin had only 800 fewer yards, and 3 fewer touchdowns then Monk but played five fewer years. He was named All-Pro more then Monk, and went to more Pro Bowls then Monk, and won just as many Super Bowls.

How many of these guys are you going to put in the Hall of Fame? Largent, and Lofton are in, Rice and Brown are certainties. Carter is probably going to get in. It's like the Kuechenberg talk. George Kunz played in the same era, he was an All-Pro as many times as Kuechenberg was, at tackle, not guard, and he isn't in the Hall of Fame. Russ Washington likewise. Fans fixate on players for reasons that cannot be defended on their merits.

Coral Reefer
02-05-2007, 02:42 AM

:lol:

No joke, it was a complete embarrassment IMO.
Miami is marketing itself as the premier venue for holding Super Bowls and who do they pull out of the eighties to do a halftime show but Prince.

They could have really gone all out and given us an Eighties package performance by bringing in DeBarge or the Go Go's to perform as well.

As for Monk, I really don't know what the knock is on him so I really can't comment.

Given To Fly
02-05-2007, 03:03 AM

I don't think any guy from american idol play all the instruments on their albums like Prince does.

Mr.Majestik
02-05-2007, 03:14 AM

Miami is marketing itself as the premier venue for holding Super Bowls and who do they pull out of the eighties to do a halftime show but Prince.

They could have really gone all out and given us an Eighties package performance by bringing in DeBarge or the Go Go's to perform as well.

As for Monk, I really don't know what the knock is on him so I really can't comment.

And which Super Bowl halftime performance hasn't been an embarrassment? The Rolling Stones? Janet Jackson? If the NFL put up a contemporary act, like say a hip-hop artist, the same people would be whining about how it really isn't music, the NFL should be embarrassed, the predictable outbursts. So the NFL goes out and gets one of the biggest acts in music, and one that just so happens to appeal to the Gen Xers, who are replacing Baby Boomers as the primary consumer class in the country, and the response is the same.

It's like complaining about the game itself, or the commercials, someone reach back into their memory holes and give us a truly outstanding commercial from years past? You can count the number of truly competitive games on one hand. The problem isn't the product, but the expectations that are created by saturation media. When they started taking polls about the Super Bowl commercials, and putting as much focus on the advertising as the game, that's when the quality of the ads supposedly tanked. The quality didn't tank so much as the expectations rose to the absurd. The ads used to be funny, or cute because you weren't expecting anything, then the ads became an event in and of itself, and everyone sat in their living rooms with their arms crossed saying "make me laugh." Wow me. It's tough to amaze with cynics begging to be amused.

Fresh
02-05-2007, 03:19 AM
The only commercial that I liked = Jay-Z & Shula. And, that is only because the special effects and whatnot looked nice on HD. The game looked UGH! for the most part due to the rain getting on the cameras. It just looked distorted.

CCMiamiDolphins
02-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Dude, are you kidding??? Prince is A W E S O M E!!!! EVERY football fan LOOOOOOOOOOVES Prince!!! Especially us old redneck hillbillies from Kentucky!!!! Bible belt worships him, and Falwell has all his albums. Too bad they couldn't get some PURPLE rain to fall during the show!!!!!

Dude are you serious? He played Foo Fighters instead of "When the Doves Cry" and that song is a classic.

Plus theres something wrong when you the commericals bothered you the most. Just those 2 teams playing in Dolphins stadium bothered me.

Big Nick B
02-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Prince kicked *** in his lil boots. whatever, you just don't appreciate good music or talent:tantrum:

CCMiamiDolphins
02-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Still upset I didnt hear "When the Doves Cry".

King Nate
02-05-2007, 06:05 AM
I notice two different things that were terrible today.

1) Manning won the Lombardi trophy while Dan was sitting at a desk talking about it.

2) Don Shula was the man that brought it to him.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I looked up into the stands and saw Saban having sex with Marino's wife as a big banner unfurls from the roof that says "God Hates The Dolphins!"

@@@
02-05-2007, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't have been surprised if I looked up into the stands and saw Saban having sex with Marino's wife as a big banner unfurls from the roof that says "God Hates The Dolphins!":sidelol:

PhinzN703
02-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I notice two different things that were terrible today.

1) Manning won the Lombardi trophy while Dan was sitting at a desk talking about it.

2) Don Shula was the man that brought it to him.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I looked up into the stands and saw Saban having sex with Marino's wife as a big banner unfurls from the roof that says "God Hates The Dolphins!"

With Dave W filming the sex :lol:

Mr772
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Prince kicked *** in his lil boots. whatever, you just don't appreciate good music or talent:tantrum:

If you thought that was good music or talent then I truly pitty you.

The guy was the same talent level of a cheap cover band. Didn't even play much of his own music. Not that anyone could blame him. What a looser.:rolleyes2

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:52 PM

Some of you are just plain ignorant.

Prince is a legend and he slayed.

Vocally, nobody ever said he was a tour de force. As a musician, he is incredible. And as a songwriter.

But go ahead, be revisionist.

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:53 PM

Comparing Prince to DeBarge is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Prince has released albums consistently, without much in the way of interruption, in the 70s (first two), 80s, 90s, and 00s.

His body of work spans too many decades to merely insult him by calling him an "80s artist". Yea, so that's when his most famous work was released...but by that logic we would consider the Rolling Stones a '70s' band.

Metal Panda
02-05-2007, 11:55 PM
If you thought that was good music or talent then I truly pitty you.

The guy was the same talent level of a cheap cover band. Didn't even play much of his own music. Not that anyone could blame him. What a looser.:rolleyes2

"Loser", not "looser".

If you think Prince is untalented, perhaps it is you who should be pitied. That's an ignorant opinion regardless of whether you like his music.

The Foo Fighters song was an homage, since they covered Darling Nikki (although I bet you probably thought Foo Fighters wrote that themselves).

So I guess I should be pitied too...despite my 1100+ cd collection, I clearly have no clue what I'm talking about!

FinsNCanes
02-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm not a Prince fan but he does put on a good show. Most of the girls at the party I was at loved him and the rest of us who don't care for him liked the show.

Who would you rather have? The best thing about it was he was rocking aqua/orange.

Metal Panda
02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Still upset I didnt hear "When the Doves Cry".

I have a feeling Prince isn't real keen on that song after the popularity it received, I tend to think he felt that song and/or album caused people to not take him serious.

You have to remember he basically called the fans of the album Purple Rain "MTV sheep" after it was released.....I know he still plays it live, but I am pretty sure he wanted to do what was not expected of him.

As far as the 'covers' bemoaning by this board, over half of the material played was still his. Let's Go Crazy, the second tuen, and Purple Rain

Metal Panda
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
bump so the dude who foolishly compared Prince to Debarge can reveal himself as the poster of such a ludicrous comment.