PDA

View Full Version : Who got the better end of this deal?

Enforcerfin33
02-05-2007, 12:31 AM
A couple years back when the Chargers drafted Eli Manning, and he all but refused to play for them they traded him to NY for the rights to Phillip Rivers, and 2 future picks, those 2 picks turned out to be Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding. Now to me this is a no brainer, talent wise. But, Eli in the long run might be the better qb, but the Chargers got a potential future HOF in Merriman, and a great kicker, plus an above average QB.

Fresh
02-05-2007, 01:09 AM
It really is a no-brainer.

Three Pro Bowlers vs. a guy who has shown flashes, but is one of the league's most inconsistent QB's. Lights Out, without that suspension, is probably taking JT's defensive MVP award this year. He'll grab one of his own sooner or later. Phillip Rivers in his first full year as a starter, looked twice as good as Eli Manning in his 2.5 year. I mean, really, statistically.....Manning has been pretty average so far. Rivers had a SPECTACULAR year, Merriman is one of the best LB's in football (maybe THE best), and Kaeding is one of the best kickers. Kaeding is a career 86% kicker and only 24-years old.

Rocky Raccoon
02-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Chargers easily.

Alex44
02-05-2007, 01:22 AM

Three Pro Bowlers vs. a guy who has shown flashes, but is one of the league's most inconsistent QB's. Lights Out, without that suspension, is probably taking JT's defensive MVP award this year. He'll grab one of his own sooner or later. Phillip Rivers in his first full year as a starter, looked twice as good as Eli Manning in his 2.5 year. I mean, really, statistically.....Manning has been pretty average so far. Rivers had a SPECTACULAR year, Merriman is one of the best LB's in football (maybe THE best), and Kaeding is one of the best kickers. Kaeding is a career 86% kicker and only 24-years old.

Which means he can play for another 70 or so years!

Seriously though the Chargers have gotten the better end of the deal, though I guess if Eli wins a Superbowl before San Diego you can argue the opposite.

MR NFLFAN
02-05-2007, 01:25 AM
The only reason Rivers looks good this season is because its mandatory that all rookies be fed supplements laced with Roids. In essence Rivers was on the Merriman eating plan. Juice up Eli and I'm sure you'll get the same results. :wink:

PewterKrew
02-05-2007, 04:21 AM
The Chargers got the better end of the deal hands down after seeing River play this season after being on the pine his first 2 seasons learning the offense, then you add in Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding of course Merriman had the trouble with the league for the use of a band subsyance. I would still have to think that the Chargers came out on top on this one.

Mogwai
02-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Rivers > Eli

Now and in the long run. Chargers run away with this trade.

Static387
02-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I have no respect for Eli because of what he did.

PewterKrew
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I bet Eli after looking back wishes he would have just kept his mouth closed and went to the Chargers, rather then the big apple

Motion
02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Like we really need a poll for this question. :lol:

Kinzua
02-05-2007, 02:03 PM

That's about right. Since I liked Rivers best of all the 2004 QBs, I couldn't believe the Chargers got him plus two draft choices, including another 1st rounder! This trade will haunt the Giants for years to come just like the Herschel Walker trade haunted the Vikes! IMO, the Giants were blinded by Eli's "pedigree" and his "polish" (compliments of Daddy and Big Bro Peyton), and confused it with superior talent.

As for E Manning, he hit a plateau about the middle of 2005, and since has shown flashes of brilliance, but more often than not is mediocre at best. I suspect that at least part of that is that Eli hasn't worked as hard as he could to get better. Another big part of that is that the other NFL teams now have tape on him and have figured out how to defense him. I haven't watched him enough to figure out if he has mechanics problems like holding the ball too long or keying on a receiver, but he hasn't seemed to figure out that trying to force a ball into double coverage isn't a good idea.

Kinzua
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I bet Eli after looking back wishes he would have just kept his mouth closed and went to the Chargers, rather then the big apple

It's a perfect case of "be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!!!" Eli wanted the Giants and the Big Apple, and he got them! :sidelol:

rob19
02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
The Chargers and its not even close. Like KiNG said, Merriman may just be the best LB in football. In fact If it were a striaght up pick between Merriman and Eli, I bet it would be pretty damn close. Rivers in his first year of starting has been very good and will only get better. The Giants are going to regret this for a long long time.

Enforcerfin33
02-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Like we really need a poll for this question. :lol:
Well, you really dont, but you never know. Some might think Eli has more upside. Some..

PhinsRDbest
02-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Which trade was better this trade or the Vick Trade.

dominizzo
02-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Whom ever would take Giants woild know nada bout Football

In_Flames
02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Whom ever would take Giants woild know nada bout Football

what Dom said....I think :wink:

The Bolts bent the GMen over their knee and spanked them with this deal...no question

Crunkcore
02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Chargers by far.

Dolfan984
02-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Got boned almost as bad as the Falcons did in the Vick for LT trade.

Chargers sure do know how to trade top picks

Miami 13
02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Obviously the Chargers got the better end, and lmao, 33 votes for SD and 0 for N.Y.

Rocky Raccoon
02-06-2007, 08:15 PM
36-0 :lol:

tylerdolphin
02-06-2007, 08:51 PM
The Chargers have raped 2 teams for top picks. First they trade running back Micheal Vick for LT and another pick (Brees), now they trade Eli for Rivers and future picks (Merriman, Kaeding).

If SD has the tp pick, NEVER trade with them LOL

Enforcerfin33
02-06-2007, 09:12 PM
The Chargers have raped 2 teams for top picks. First they trade running back Micheal Vick for LT and another pick (Brees), now they trade Eli for Rivers and future picks (Merriman, Kaeding).

If SD has the tp pick, NEVER trade with them LOL
Makes you wonder how much of these decisions Cam had a hand in, which was the main reason I posted this poll anyways. If he had some good influence on knowing what players were going to be stars and which were not, thats a great sign for us.

texasPHINSfan
02-06-2007, 10:35 PM
this poll is like asking:

Which tastes better?
1) Poop
2) Cake

gee......

Sirspud
02-07-2007, 02:17 AM
this poll is like asking:

Which tastes better?
1) Poop
2) Cake

gee......

Some might think poop has more upside. Personally, I like to get my cake and eat it too.

BE GOOD
02-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Giants:tongue:

Enforcerfin33
02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Giants:tongue:
we officially have our first poop eater:lol:

Dors156
02-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Eli is a good QB imo but i feel that he is in a bad situation at Ny with all the pressure to live up to his brothers reputation. i would never want to play in NY with all the pressure. The chargers definately got the better deal.

Shula Come Back!
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
The Chargers raped the Giants with that one, like they should have!

dolphinfn3454
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Who voted for the Giants? I want to know your reasoning for saying they got the better end of the deal?:confused:

HysterikiLL
02-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't think you can ever really look at it face down like that. The Chargers drafted Merriman and Kaeding, they didn't come in the deal. The fact that Merriman and Kaeding are good playing could be put down to excellent scouting and player development. Looking at that draft, Kaeding could've been some second grade training camp body drafted at that spot, and they were at the time rumored to be considering Troy Williamson too. So, I really don't think you can look at it straight up that way, but even at the time I thought the Giants gave up waaaay too much to a team who pretty much HAD to trade Eli away anyway.

rob19
02-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't think you can ever really look at it face down like that. The Chargers drafted Merriman and Kaeding, they didn't come in the deal. The fact that Merriman and Kaeding are good playing could be put down to excellent scouting and player development. Looking at that draft, Kaeding could've been some second grade training camp body drafted at that spot, and they were at the time rumored to be considering Troy Williamson too. So, I really don't think you can look at it straight up that way, but even at the time I thought the Giants gave up waaaay too much to a team who pretty much HAD to trade Eli away anyway.

sooooo... are you the one guy who voted for the giants?:lol:

The Confessor
02-07-2007, 07:11 PM
The only reason Rivers looks good this season is because its mandatory that all rookies be fed supplements laced with Roids. In essence Rivers was on the Merriman eating plan. Juice up Eli and I'm sure you'll get the same results. :wink:

WTF:goof: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Well lets see. The count says 45 chargers and 1 Giants...wonder who voted for Eli:wink: