PDA

View Full Version : The importance on this years draft

paulomac77
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
The dolphins had the most dissappointing year of any team in the NFL, which only means we're drafting earlier than we should be and that we're not that far off from being a championship contender in the AFC. In order for that too happen we need a player/players that are ready to step onto the field and contribute, we dont need a nickle CB (leon Hall) we've got enough of those, okoye might be the best DL to come out of this draft but that might not be until 3 years down the road, and we certainly shouldnt draft a player at the #9 spot based partially on his KR potential(ted ginn).... although CB, DL, and WR/KR/PR are all priorities that should and probably will be addressed in the draft this april, i dont think these players are the guys that will take us to the next level....IMO we need to make OL our highest priority and although levi brown probably doesnt deserve to be drafted as high as #9, he is the next best OL besides joe thomas,... in the second round we will be lucky to see kalil or joe staley on the board but if we do we would be crazy to pass on them, in this league you can't get by with 5 good o-linemen, u have to have at least 6 maybe 7 that u can plug into the game if injurys cripple the OL....beyond the OL our secondary has to improve, the best way to do that is probably through FA's and trying to land either A.Samual or Clements in south beach... say what you will about the aging DL, at least theres talent on the DL, theres not one playmaker in the secondary with the occassional exception of Y.bell.

My 3 round mock

1st round- trade down w/ STL and pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick so they can draft hall, draft levi brown at #13 or take d. revis the CB from Pitt
2nd round- take kalil if available or take bowe from LSU or meachem if one of them falls on draft day
3rd round- take stanton if he's on the board and if not go BPA at either S,DL,OL, or WR assuming we havnt taken a wideout yet...eric weddle from utah, anthony spencer from purdue, james marten from BC or scott chandler the TE from iowa
....take BPA regardless of position with the extra pick from the trade with the Rams

jason8er
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
The dolphins had the most dissappointing year of any team in the NFL
I thought Carolina had that distinction.

Killer308
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I totally agree with you. I think this is going to be one of the most important draft's in Fin history.

DeFINSeWins
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THE COMMENTS ON HALL AND GINN!!! However, okoye i think will be an amazing dlineman and like you said in 3 years he will be dominating. You cant draft based on the next year you have to draft for the overall longterm which makes him a very intriguing pick. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of taking levi brown first round. I like him a lot better than ginn or hall who have bust written all over them.

IN the 2nd and 3rd rounds, there is so much potential. WRS (meachem, rice, gonzalez), linebackers (siler, beason, willis), dlineman (woodley, moses), olinman (kalil maybe, ugoh) will all be available or have potential to be picked. I think our 2nd and 3rd round picks are most crucial to this draft. WE CAN GET 2 more starting calliber players immediately if we do a good job in those rounds. Woodley could come in at outside linebacker, meachem could take over for booker, and siler could take over crowders position allowing him to move outside in the 3-4. Our first 3 picks have the potential to be 3 starters asap. Its been quite a few years since we had our first 3 picks and now we have a chance to get young very fast!

Geforce
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
The dolphins had the most dissappointing year of any team in the NFL, which only means we're drafting earlier than we should be and that we're not that far off from being a championship contender in the AFC. In order for that too happen we need a player/players that are ready to step onto the field and contribute, we dont need a nickle CB (leon Hall) we've got enough of those, okoye might be the best DL to come out of this draft but that might not be until 3 years down the road, and we certainly shouldnt draft a player at the #9 spot based partially on his KR potential(ted ginn).... although CB, DL, and WR/KR/PR are all priorities that should and probably will be addressed in the draft this april, i dont think these players are the guys that will take us to the next level....IMO we need to make OL our highest priority and although levi brown probably doesnt deserve to be drafted as high as #9, he is the next best OL besides joe thomas,... in the second round we will be lucky to see kalil or joe staley on the board but if we do we would be crazy to pass on them, in this league you can't get by with 5 good o-linemen, u have to have at least 6 maybe 7 that u can plug into the game if injurys cripple the OL....beyond the OL our secondary has to improve, the best way to do that is probably through FA's and trying to land either A.Samual or Clements in south beach... say what you will about the aging DL, at least theres talent on the DL, theres not one playmaker in the secondary with the occassional exception of Y.bell.

My 3 round mock

1st round- trade down w/ STL and pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick so they can draft hall, draft levi brown at #13 or take d. revis the CB from Pitt
2nd round- take kalil if available or take bowe from LSU or meachem if one of them falls on draft day
3rd round- take stanton if he's on the board and if not go BPA at either S,DL,OL, or WR assuming we havnt taken a wideout yet...eric weddle from utah, anthony spencer from purdue, james marten from BC or scott chandler the TE from iowa
....take BPA regardless of position with the extra pick from the trade with the Rams

Unless talk up to the draft has us leaning towards Leon Hall, St Louis will have no reason to trade with us. Besides, they drafted a CB in the 1st round last year. They may be willing to do if for Levi Brown because they too need offensive line help.

Lab3003
02-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't think drafting a lineman is the best thing at #9. I subscribe to the Jimmy Johnson philosophy; unless that lineman is an absolute lock (e.g. Ferguson last year) than why waste a high pick on someone who won't directly score any points? You can have the best blocking in the world but without better skill position players, what's the point? I think drafting Jarrett from USC or Quinn if he drops would pay greater dividens versus drafting a lineman.

PhinGeneral
02-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't think drafting a lineman is the best thing at #9. I subscribe to the Jimmy Johnson philosophy; unless that lineman is an absolute lock (e.g. Ferguson last year) than why waste a high pick on someone who won't directly score any points? You can have the best blocking in the world but without better skill position players, what's the point? I think drafting Jarrett from USC or Quinn if he drops would pay greater dividens versus drafting a lineman.

There are a lot of people in the NFL that share that view, including Randy Mueller. I would think that having a master coach and teacher like Hudson Houck would even make Miami think less about doing it.

The wildcard in all of this is Anthony Alabi. He was a project when he was drafted, and now it should be time to either cash in or move on. I'd love to know where the coaching staff stands on him.

paulomac77
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM
why draft a WR thats never going to be a #1 reciever with the #9 spot, samardja would have been the best wideout for us to take had he staid in the draft, i dont see jarrett being any better than chambers at this point in fact nowhere near CC's level also we'll have ronnie brown and ricky in the backfield next year and with cam opening up the offense just like he did in san diego im not worried about our skill players, i agree depth needs to be addressed, especially at WR since after next year booker and welker prolly wont be in the picture anymore and unless hagan has a breakout year that will most likely need to be the #1 priority going into the 2008 season....the only WR in the draft this year thats gonna be a #1 guy is calvin johnson, bowe might have success and meachem could be a solid contributor throughout his career but jarrett is overly impressive like calvin johnson is and ginn will only get the ball on screens, slants or KR, certainly not enough to change the way the offense runs

oldfinfan
02-05-2007, 02:37 PM

My 3 round mock

Why does everyone keep thinking that trading down is something the Dolphins can control.

Usually, its the other way around...a team wants to move up and tries to strike a deal with a team picking ahead of them.

Even if we were able to trade down (only 4 slots), I still would not pick an OL, specially not Brown. All the articles I read about him is that he's "solid", but certainly not a "blue-chipper".

Go after the skill positions...I still would like to get a WR with # 9...someone like Jarrett or Ginn would greatly enhance our offense and get us on the right track to respectibility.

Kyndig
02-05-2007, 02:37 PM

That very philosophy is the whole reason that we've had a poor to medicore Offensive line from the time JJ got to Miami till this day. The best o-lineman we have is vernon carey. Guess which round he was drafted in? O-lineman is also a very safe position to draft in terms of boom/bust ratio, so if we want help now on the side of the ball that needs it most, then it sounds like a good idea to me to invest some of our early round picks on the O-line. Of course your point is valid, and I wouldn't mind seeing us perhaps drafting a receiver as well, and a developmental QB, but we can no longer afford to not invest some early round picks in our o-line, a philosophy that has gotten us nowhere...

jlfin
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
That very philosophy is the whole reason that we've had a poor to medicore Offensive line from the time JJ got to Miami till this day. The best o-lineman we have is vernon carey. Guess which round he was drafted in? O-lineman is also a very safe position to draft in terms of boom/bust ratio, so if we want help now on the side of the ball that needs it most, then it sounds like a good idea to me to invest some of our early round picks on the O-line. Of course your point is valid, and I wouldn't mind seeing us perhaps drafting a receiver as well, and a developmental QB, but we can no longer afford to not invest some early round picks in our o-line, a philosophy that has gotten us nowhere...

How many top 10 picks do you see on the O-line of the Broncos or Chiefs? Not many

Piker
02-05-2007, 02:53 PM
please just wait till after the combine for all this draft talk. The combine will tell us a lot more about these players. Ronnie brown's stock rose big time after the combine.

The Confessor
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Thats it my friend. You are absolutely right. Actually, not even many lineman thought to be first round worthy pan out-much less top 10 material.

If somebody were to appproach with the original scenario painted in this thread, I think Mueller would really have to think it over.
Of course, just to point out the obvious, it is all relevant to who is still on the board when 9 comes up....:wink:

VT Dolphan
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
please just wait till after the combine for all this draft talk. The combine will tell us a lot more about these players. Ronnie brown's stock rose big time after the combine.

People put way too much imortance on the Combine. The NFL isn't a flag football league, its played with pads and helmets. Pick players that perform the best during games wearing pads, not the Combine wearing shorts and under armour....

It should be used as a way to separate two players who would otherwise grade out about the same. Too often freakish athletes who are only decent football players elevate their draft status way too high and our considered busts when they fail to live up to expectations. Whereas great football players who were deemed too small or slow at the Combine often slip in the draft, succeed and are considered steals...

IluvJuMiami
02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
If Quinn falls to 9 it's automatic.

Passing on Ginn Jr could be like passing up on a Devin Hester/Reggie Bush. Look what those guys did for their teams when they touched the ball and they were only on the field half the time. When was the last time the Miami Dolphins had a game-changer, one guy who could single handedly beat a football team?

A solid OT could be had in the 2nd round.

We don't need DL help with Roth, Evans, Rod Wright, and Vickerson sitting unused on the bench.

tay0365
02-05-2007, 03:38 PM
My 3 round mock

Stanton will not be there in the 3rd, and we need to get him if we are not able to get Brady (Extremely possible). I don't even think he will last past the late 1st round if he looks good at the combines.

If he looks good at the combines, I wait to see what happens with Brady, then once he is taken, try to trade down, take a chance on Stanton in the mid - to late 1st round.

paulomac77
02-05-2007, 03:44 PM
i agree we dont need help on the DL, even though we're aging fast, theres too much unproven youth on the team already to invest in more "projects"

paulomac77
02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
my eagerness towards the upcoming season will be dimished severly if the dolphins take stanton late in the first round, i doubt we'd pass on quinn at this point but to shape draft day around landing drew stanton would give me ulcers

OneHondo
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Its interesting to hear some speculate that OL high draft picks are a reach or a waste. I bet the jets wouldn't agree after the bonanza they had in the draft on the offensive line last year. I remember the year we got Webb and Sims that sure turned out alright. With all the nightmares we have had over the offensive line the last few years, including the year we dumped practically all of our starting offensive line, I wouldn't mind an emphasis placed on the offensive line but that is JMO.

VT Dolphan
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Stanton will not be there in the 3rd, and we need to get him if we are not able to get Brady (Extremely possible). I don't even think he will last past the late 1st round if he looks good at the combines.

If he looks good at the combines, I wait to see what happens with Brady, then once he is taken, try to trade down, take a chance on Stanton in the mid - to late 1st round.

Stanton in the mid-late first would be a huge mistake. That guy has shown nothing deserving of being a first round draft pick. If he's there in the third, take him. It looks like somebody will reach for him in the second though, and I'm hoping that its not us.

Stitches
02-05-2007, 04:40 PM
If Quinn falls to 9 it's automatic.

Passing on Ginn Jr could be like passing up on a Devin Hester/Reggie Bush. Look what those guys did for their teams when they touched the ball and they were only on the field half the time. When was the last time the Miami Dolphins had a game-changer, one guy who could single handedly beat a football team?

A solid OT could be had in the 2nd round.

We don't need DL help with Roth, Evans, Rod Wright, and Vickerson sitting unused on the bench.

We don't need DL help? You say that with such certainty, however all but Roth have played nearly close to zero snaps combined. Rod Wright hasn't even been put through the rigors of a pro camp yet. It is naive to think we don't need and couldn't use DL help.

And passing on Ginn, could also be like passing on Asley Lelie, or Troy Williamson, or Roddy White. And everyone looks at the big plays Hester had, but how many mistakes did he make in special teams? I hate how shortsighted some people are with that, luckily his team didn't rely solely on him. Then again any team who relies solely on a KR is bound to fail. Bush was worth a top ten pick, because he could touch the ball 20 times a game and actually affect it. He's a much more polished player than Ginn. It will be years before Ginn is that polished, and able to significantly impact a game play to play, and that is just not something you rush take in the top ten.

FINSFAN2781
02-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Stanton in the mid-late first would be a huge mistake. That guy has shown nothing deserving of being a first round draft pick. If he's there in the third, take him. It looks like somebody will reach for him in the second though, and I'm hoping that its not us.

Stanton will not be selected in the 1st round. His senior bowls have impressed people and will help him jump the rankings, but he will still get drafted no earlier than the 2nd round. Ive been all over this guy hoping the Fins draft him in the 2nd, but their 2nd pick is the last chance to get him. He will be gone early in the 2nd.

Kyfinsfan
02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
At this point, I think OL is the "safest" pick, but perhaps not the best pick. I agree with the poster above regarding the coaches thoughts on Alabi. He was a project, time for that project to pay off - or not. Either way, we should get an snwer when we pick. I would add that I'm a bit tired of looking for the immediate impact player. I just hope we draft 3 starters with our first 3 picks. That's the attidtute I'm taking into the draft. Let's just get some NFL caliber starters and let the chips fall where they may with the potential pro-bowlers. Man, it sure would be nice going into a game KNOWING that we won't be overwhelmend on the offensive front. My last thought for those who continue to de-value the importance of an offensive line, where was last nights Super Bowl won? Answer = IN THE TRENCHES. Peyton played well, but the Colts OL won that game.

miamiron
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
How many top 10 picks do you see on the O-line of the Broncos or Chiefs? Not many

The Jets draft picks in the first round sure did pay back HUGE last year and for many years to come.If anyone thinks that this offensive line can be coached "up" anymore than Houck has allready done...Well that is just
insane!!!!

We need to draft a center and left tackle and I wouldn't mind getting
one of the quality guards available in free agency...

Lets give Houck some quality younger players to mold and work with and this will be the foundation of this team for many years to come.

People want the fancy names and so called playmakers but come next season if something is not done with this offensive line we will be complaining
about how much better our running backs and wide receivers would be with a better offensive line and Daunte will be getting destroyed and people will be saying only if he had more time.:shakeno:

Games are won because of both offensive and defensive front lines regardless of who is scoring the touchdowns and we have neglected our offensive line other than"Vernon Carey"(who is our best player)way to long
and the results show it.:boohoo:

If we neglect the OL i will go on record that we will be drafting in the top ten again in 2008!!!:eek:

Crowder52
02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
The Jets draft picks in the first round sure did pay back HUGE last year and for many years to come.If anyone thinks that this offensive line can be coached "up" anymore than Houck has allready done...Well that is just
insane!!!!

We need to draft a center and left tackle and I wouldn't mind getting
one of the quality guards available in free agency...

Lets give Houck some quality younger players to mold and work with and this will be the foundation of this team for many years to come.

People want the fancy names and so called playmakers but come next season if something is not done with this offensive line we will be complaining
about how much better our running backs and wide receivers would be with a better offensive line and Daunte will be getting destroyed and people will be saying only if he had more time.:shakeno:

Games are won because of both offensive and defensive front lines regardless of who is scoring the touchdowns and we have neglected our offensive line other than"Vernon Carey"(who is our best player)way to long
and the results show it.:boohoo:

If we neglect the OL i will go on record that we will be drafting in the top ten again in 2008!!!:eek:

Well said.

Mr772
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
My 3 round mock

Nice in theory but I think kalil and bowe will be gone by our pick in the second. And Stanton weddle, spencer will also be gone before the 3rd. Good picks but i think they will come off the board earlier than you anticipate. On the other hand we have to wait until the combine to get a better picture of where guys will grade out.

paulomac77
02-05-2007, 06:37 PM
yea thats just wishful thinking on my part, my only real hope for the draft is that somebody falls to us in the later rounds that can be a starter just like the way we got crowder in the third, also nobody has said much about OLB in this post, and unless the fins plan on going after briggs or a. thomas which doesnt seem likely then a first day pick needs to be made with a LB

phins3454
02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I thought Carolina had that distinction.

true dat

IluvJuMiami
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
We don't need DL help? You say that with such certainty, however all but Roth have played nearly close to zero snaps combined. Rod Wright hasn't even been put through the rigors of a pro camp yet. It is naive to think we don't need and couldn't use DL help.

And passing on Ginn, could also be like passing on Asley Lelie, or Troy Williamson, or Roddy White. And everyone looks at the big plays Hester had, but how many mistakes did he make in special teams? I hate how shortsighted some people are with that, luckily his team didn't rely solely on him. Then again any team who relies solely on a KR is bound to fail. Bush was worth a top ten pick, because he could touch the ball 20 times a game and actually affect it. He's a much more polished player than Ginn. It will be years before Ginn is that polished, and able to significantly impact a game play to play, and that is just not something you rush take in the top ten.

Okay typing contradiction. If you say so. You spoke with as much certainty about Ginn Jr as I did about our DL when you know about the same as I do which is to say nothing at all.

You talk about short-sightedness yet you want to continue to improve a defense that has been rated in the top ten for as long as I can remember and want to continue to ignore an offense that scores as many points as a major league baseball team.

We have no idea what we have in Roth, Vickerson, Wright, Evans(who by th way was a beast in preseason last year) because they haven't been given the opportunity to start. If we draft another DLineman that's a waste of 4 draft picks IMO. We don't need any of the above to be stellar. That's why Jason Taylor gets paid the millions he does, he's the bread and butter. All Roth, Vickerson, Wright, and Evans have to due is hold their own and this defense will continue to dominate.

Elliott 1
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
The Ted Ginn pick at 9 is a no brainer if we don't resign Welker. As far as DL picks that will depend entirely upon what guys we resign or cut. Levi Brown is a huge stretch in the first. Doesn't scout.com have him rated like 60 something? The guy we should take in the second round is Samson Satele. If Pittsburgh doesn't take khalil in the first they will probably take Satele in the second and this is a guy we want in a Dolphin uniform. If we can get this guy who I believe is going to be a stud OL guy for years to come we can also let Denney go because Satele is a long snapper as well. We need to make a trade to get ourselves another second round pick so we don't lose our chance at this guy.

VT Dolphan
02-05-2007, 08:10 PM
The Ted Ginn pick at 9 is a no brainer if we don't resign Welker. As far as DL picks that will depend entirely upon what guys we resign or cut. Levi Brown is a huge stretch in the first. Doesn't scout.com have him rated like 60 something? The guy we should take in the second round is Samson Satele. If Pittsburgh doesn't take khalil in the first they will probably take Satele in the second and this is a guy we want in a Dolphin uniform. If we can get this guy who I believe is going to be a stud OL guy for years to come we can also let Denney go because Satele is a long snapper as well. We need to make a trade to get ourselves another second round pick so we don't lose our chance at this guy.

Ginn is far from a no-brainer at nine. You want Ginn there but call Levi Brown a huge stretch?

I agree with you that Samson Satele should be a good pick in the second round depending on who is available. If Kalil is there, I think that one is a sure thing.

Also why would you want to let Denney go? I know it would free up a roster spot, but the guy is a pretty good long snapper, I doubt he's going anywhere.

Jaj
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Ginn is far from a no-brainer at nine. You want Ginn there but call Levi Brown a huge stretch?

I agree with you that Samson Satele should be a good pick in the second round depending on who is available. If Kalil is there, I think that one is a sure thing.

Also why would you want to let Denney go? I know it would free up a roster spot, but the guy is a pretty good long snapper, I doubt he's going anywhere.

If Satele can do it then let him do so, but messing with the kicking game is messy business. It helps keep one extra defensive linemen.

Itsdahumidity
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM

JJ's philosophy is flawed. He got lucky at DAL in finding Mammoth Olinemen in later rds and lower $$ FAs. How did his philosophy work for us in those wasted eight years? Like a couple of posters pointed out in this thread, the importance of finding top players in the trenches early should never be overlooked.
There's no such thing as an "absolute lock" in the draft, but the probability of a top Oline prospect being successful at the next level is much greater than say someone projected to go late 2nd day/undrafted.

Here's a list of first round Olinemen since '93 (I started here b/c of familiarity for our younger members)
Sorry, a little long.

8 Saints William Roaf T
9 Falcons Lincoln Kennedy T
13 Oilers Brad Hopkins T
14 Browns Steve Everitt C

14 Eagles Bernard Williams T
15 Rams Wayne Gandy T
16 Packers Aaron Taylor T
19 Vikings Todd Steussie T

2 Jaguars Tony Boselli T
14 bills Reuben Brown G
24 Vikings Korey Stringer T (R.I.P.)
25 Dolphins Billy Milner T :shakeno: remember him.
29 Panthers Blake Brockermeyer T
31 Chiefs Trezelle Jenkins T

4 Ravens Jonathan Ogden T
10 Bengals Willie Anderson T
21 Seahawks Pete Kendall G
23 Lions Jeff Hartings G
25 Eagles Jermane Mayberry G
27 Packers John Michels T
29 Steelers Jamain Stephens T
30 Redskins Andre(Tre') Johnson T

1 Rams Orlando Pace T
6 Seahawks Walter Jones T
10 Saints Chris Naeole G
19 Colts Tarik Glenn T
30 Packers Ross Verba G

7 Saints Kyle Turley T
11 Eagles Tra Thomas T
23 Raiders Mo Collins T
26 Steelers Alan Faneca G
27 Chiefs Victor Riley T

14 Chiefs John Tait T
17 patriots Damien Woody C
18 Raiders Matt Stinchcomb T
19 Giants Luke Petitgout T
21 Cardinals L.J. Shelton T
27 Lions Aaron Gibson T

3 Redskins Chris Samuels T
20 Lions Stockar McDougle T
22 Seahawks Chris McIntosh T

2 Cardinals Leonard Davis T
14 Buccaneers Kenyatta Walker T
17 Seahawks Steve Hutchinson G
18 Lions Jeff Backus T

4 bills Mike Williams T
7 Vikings Bryant McKinnie T
10 Bengals Levi Jones T
29 Bears Marc Colombo T
30 Steelers Kendall Simmons G

8 Panthers Jordan Gross T
20 Broncos George Foster T
21 Browns Jeff Faine C
26 49ers Kwame Harris T

2 Raiders Robert Gallery T
16 Eagles Shawn Andrews T
19 Dolphins Vernon Carey G/T

13 Saints Jammal Brown T
19 Rams Alex Barron T
26 Seahawks Chris Spencer C
32 patriots Logan Mankins G

4 jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT
23 Bucs Davin Joseph OG
29 jets Nick Mangold C

Out of this group 10 teams account for 55% of these 1st rd picks with each one selecting at least three:
KC-3, SEA-5, PIT-3, PHI-4, DET-4, OAK-3, NO-4, GB-3, MIN-3 & STL-3
And now for the brutal reality... all except DET have been to at least a Conference Championship game during this time. Of course we also have to take into consideration who was quarterbacking these teams, but the bottom line is if you do not have quality offensive linemen up front it wouldn't matter if Dan the Man in his prime was behind center.

Yes, like any other position there are 1st rd busts but go back up to the list and tell me where they out number the draft stud successes.
Levi Brown would not be a reach @9, in fact he might turn out to be a steal. Think about it, how many teams, who drafted before & after most of the players on the list were selected, would like a do over?

For years and years we've been drafting so-called skill position players and only hit on a small percentage. I think it's time our Phins wise up and build a strong outstanding Oline.

oldfinfan
02-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Its interesting to hear some speculate that OL high draft picks are a reach or a waste. I bet the jets wouldn't agree after the bonanza they had in the draft on the offensive line last year. I remember the year we got Webb and Sims that sure turned out alright. With all the nightmares we have had over the offensive line the last few years, including the year we dumped practically all of our starting offensive line, I wouldn't mind an emphasis placed on the offensive line but that is JMO.

Well, its easy to say what you are saying after the facts, isn't it.

Only 1 of the Jets picks was a high pick (Shaw)...the center from OSU was drafted towards the bottom of the first round.

Sims was a 2nd rd pick...and, during those times, FA was not what it is today. It is still easier today to pick up a proven free agent OL, than to invest a very high pick on an OL. Now, if we had a chance at Thomas, then its a no-brainer.

Check the records and tell me how many pro-bowl OL this year came from the top 8 teams...How many from the Colts...1 from the Bears (Kruetz). How about NO, Baltimore ?

The Falcons usually have the best running game in the NFL...followed closely by the Broncos. How many pro-bowl OL did they have last year ?

After Thomas, it is all a gamble