PDA

View Full Version : Drew Stanton in the 2nd round?

phins3454
02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
I really think Drew Stanton could be our guy. He has all the tools to be successful in the NFL. I have been reading what scouts have to say about Drew Stanton and based on my own opinons. Most scouts are saying that his stock is really on the rise after his impressive show at the senior bowl practices, all of them say that he was defiantly the best QB out there. He really showed good accuracy, great mobility and better decision making. I think Stanton's stock will go up even more after the combine.

Before the senior bowl Stanton was originally predicted to be a 3rd or 4th rounder, but now he is likely to be a mid-late 2nd rounder. Before his senior year started he was projected to be a 1st rounder, and he early in the season he showed to be true. But after the lost to Notre dame it seemed liked the whole team took a huge nosedive, causing Drew Stanton's stock to drop.

Im not saying that Drew Stanton is the answer to our problem, but he does show a lot of potential and moxie. Miami could go another year without drafting a QB, and just wait and see what next years draft has to offer. But if a Brian Brohm is on the board in the 1st round Miami is likely to draft him, which wouldnt be cheap.

I found it rare to have a opportunity to draft a QB like Drew Stanton in the 2nd round who is 6'3" 230 pounds. Stanton isnt a guy you draft as a backup, Stanton has the tools to be a good NFL QB. I know most of yall have seen him play at the Senior Bowl and at the College all star competition, and he has looked great in both.

Many still found it a bit of a reach to draft Stanton with our 2nd pick. I personlly think it would be a reach. But that would be a huge chance to gamble on him being there in the 3rd round. Teams that pick after us are looking at drafting a QB, teams like....Carolina, Jacksonville, and Baltimore and etc.

Of course we could always go and see what the free agent market has to offer....but has that ever worker out? :shakeno:

Then you have the unknown factor....Trent Edwards (QB from Stanford). He has shown great signs of being a good QB at the next level. But he has been battling with injurys almost every year. So You dont really know what your going to get out of him.

Joey Harrington wont be a Dolphin QB for long, so Miami has to look at picking up another QB this off season. Miami will face a dilemma, passing on Stanton in the 2nd round and hope he is still there in the 3rd. Should Miami try to trade down in the 2nd round? or should Miami just reach and pick him?

I say Miami has to pick him the 40th pick, reach or not. I think Drew Stanton could be a great QB, with the right coaching.

Finch83
02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I live in Big Ten country and have watched a number of Michigan State games and really wasnt impressed. Especially againist Notre Dame. However, if Cam and the scouts see something in him then I am all for him to become a Fin.

He does have good arm strength, but questionable descion making.

marcodolphin
02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
i like drew i hope we draft him

dominizzo
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
He can be the next Drew Brees mabey

In_Flames
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
IMO we have to go BPA when our pick comes around in the 2nd, and if at that point it is Stanton, than I'm all for it. :wink:

elite14eva
02-05-2007, 07:35 PM
IMO we have to go BPA when our pick comes around in the 2nd, and if at that point it is Stanton, than I'm all for it. :wink:if quinn doesn't fall to 9.

In_Flames
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
if quinn doesn't fall to 9.

Well, yeah that's a given....:wink: but I honestly don't see it happening however.

RoninFin4
02-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I think Stanton in the 2nd would be a good choice.

jason8er
02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I want Stanton Bad, but for some reason, I'm getting a funny feeling he won't get past Chicago in the late 1st.

VT Dolphan
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I like Stanton, but I don't think he would be a real good pick in the second round. I really don't think there is a real big difference between him and a guy like Trent Edwards, who could still be available in the fourth round. If we could get Stanton in the third round, then I think you would have to give him a shot. However, I think there is a good chance that a very talented player could still be available at 40 that was projected to go in the first. I think grabbing an instant impact player is more important than drafting a risky quarterback prospect.

retarmyfinfan
02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I want Stanton Bad, but for some reason, I'm getting a funny feeling he won't get past Chicago in the late 1st.

I think you're right. They need a QB in a bad way unless they will go with Griese. Grossman sucks.

DonShula84
02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
In the games I've watched of his I've never been overly impressed. I like his athletic ability, and he did have a bad team and a horrible head coach but how they choke away so many wins scares me a bit. There will be a lot of good players available with our second pick, I dont think QB is the way we should go with it.

paulomac77
02-05-2007, 09:12 PM
i'd like to give culpepper the chance to be the starter here without being hurt before we start drafting qb's to replace him, and theres bigger holes to fill such as OLB and the secondary, id rather see depth there than at the qb position, how much of an upgrade will stanton be for next year over cleo/joey as backup?....not enough to spend a 2nd round pick for him

phins3454
02-05-2007, 09:23 PM
i'd like to give culpepper the chance to be the starter here without being hurt before we start drafting qb's to replace him, and theres bigger holes to fill such as OLB and the secondary, id rather see depth there than at the qb position, how much of an upgrade will stanton be for next year over cleo/joey as backup?....not enough to spend a 2nd round pick for him

We arent planning on replacing Culpepper, we are planning to replace Joey Harrington, but I have a feeling Culpepper wont be in Miami for long.

DUB
02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
By draft time don't be suprised if we would have to jump up to the late first(like the Skins did to get Campbell in 05')which may cost too much.

PhinSoldia
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
By draft time don't be suprised if we would have to jump up to the late first(like the Skins did to get Campbell in 05')which may cost too much.

dont be suprised if stanton goes 31st-because Rexy wasnt sexy last night

Crunkcore
02-05-2007, 10:34 PM
If Quinn isn't there at 9, i wouldn't mind Stanton in the 2nd.
That or Oline with our 2nd rounder.

CANDolphan
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Chicago's problems dont entirely lie on Rex Grossman. Their O-Line was absolutely dreadful, and the play calling was pathetic. No way they draft Drew Staton at #31.. Grossman is still very young, and this was his first full year.

Jaj
02-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Their O-Line is very good. Are you kidding me I'd love to have that line.

Tait, Brown (Metcalf possibly next year), Kreutz, Garza (weak link somewhat), Miller

DRNEWBEE
02-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I see absolutley no reason to ever draft Drew Stanton. Ever. Period. We already have two career backup guys, do we need a third? I thought Jeff Smoker was a better Spartan QB than Drew.

Caldolfan
02-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Stanton in the third, maybe.

Say no to Brady Quinn.

Static387
02-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Chicago's problems dont entirely lie on Rex Grossman. Their O-Line was absolutely dreadful, and the play calling was pathetic. No way they draft Drew Staton at #31.. Grossman is still very young, and this was his first full year.

They also have Kyle Orton.

tmny99
02-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I like Stanton, but I don't think he would be a real good pick in the second round. I really don't think there is a real big difference between him and a guy like Trent Edwards, who could still be available in the fourth round. If we could get Stanton in the third round, then I think you would have to give him a shot. However, I think there is a good chance that a very talented player could still be available at 40 that was projected to go in the first. I think grabbing an instant impact player is more important than drafting a risky quarterback prospect.

I couldn't agree more.

CANDolphan
02-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Tait, Brown (Metcalf possibly next year), Kreutz, Garza (weak link somewhat), Miller

Okay Okay.. when I say they need OLine help, I meant they need to replace Garza. Tait and Kreutz are both fantastic.

But honestly, did you see how much pressure grossman had? When a team doesnt get a pass rush against him, he looks amazing ( see St Louis, Detroit ) but when they do, he makes HORRIBLE decisions ( Indy, Arizona )

They will more than likely be drafting Justin Blalock out of UT.. Quarterback is definitely NOT going to be on their list this year.. no real prospects or projects that suit their needs

tdmiami
02-06-2007, 01:51 AM
wouldnt mind the kid
gotta good arm and above avg speed.
his jus super INconsistant, and thats why i don't lyk him.
reminds me of AJ, fielder and mostly daunte

PhinSoldia
02-06-2007, 02:05 AM

i was just about to say it-they have two certified probowlers in tate and Kreutz

CANDolphan
02-06-2007, 02:28 AM
i was just about to say it-they have two certified probowlers in tate and Kreutz

Did you see all the pressure Grossman had in his face, though?

Peyton Manning had nearly twice as long to throw the ball. The Bears guards were absolutely dreadful..

finfan54
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Or the Raiders should they take Calvin Johnson.

finfan54
02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Dick Vermeil at the Senior Bowl said the guy who most stood out that week was Drew Stanton. For what its worth.

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
He can be the next Drew Brees mabey

He's got the Drew part in the bag.

Motion
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Definitely have to be the 2nd if we want a shot at him, if even then. I think its funny people think he'll be around in the 3rd.

phins3454
02-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Definitely have to be the 2nd if we want a shot at him, if even then. I think its funny people think he'll be around in the 3rd.

Yeah, Im telling yall...Stantons stock is on the rise and will rise even more after the combine.

For those who say that Stanton is inconsistant I agree, but it wasnt completey him, it was the bad coaching and lack of team effort. To me I think Trent Edwards would be more risky, is he even healthy enough to particapate at the combine?

Im just sayin, we know that Drew Stanton can be very good, that he is very athletic, that he has a good arm. I mean at the entire week of the Senior bowl Stanton was the most consistant QB. and he was playing aginst the best seniors in the country.

PhinsRock
02-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Stanton would be a good pick in the 3rd, not the 2nd.

Motion
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM

You can't honestly think he'll slip that far, he's the consensus #3 QB at this point.

phins3454
02-06-2007, 04:19 PM
If we pass on him the 2nd, then teams like Carolina, Jacksonville, and Baltimore will take him.