PDA

View Full Version : history paper 72 fins

woody1351
02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
im doing a research paper for my history class on the 72 fins. it needs to be 15 pages so i need some books to use. what books should i use, or any other information that would be helpful. newspapers, anything.

Roman529
02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Probably one of the best stories of the 1972 season was how an old guy like Earl Morrall took over at QB when Bob Griese broke his leg. But then Shula replaced Morrall and put Griese back in to help them win the SB. Miami had only been a team for 5 years when they went to the SB and lost to the Cowboys in 1971, but then they won it back to back. I don't know of any papers you can use, but you might see if you can get some back issues of Sports Illustrated at the library to help with your paper.

:dolphins:

themole
02-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Probably one of the best stories of the 1972 season was how an old guy like Earl Morrall took over at QB when Bob Griese broke his leg. But then Shula replaced Morrall and put Griese back in to help them win the SB. Miami had only been a team for 5 years when they went to the SB and lost to the Cowboys in 1971, but then they won it back to back. I don't know of any papers you can use, but you might see if you can get some back issues of Sports Illustrated at the library to help with your paper.

You wouldn't find anymore than three or four paragraphs from that RAG. That's the very reason I stopped my subscription from them after that Superbowl. It was down right disrespectful the lack of coverage they gave the Phins after such an accomplishment.

woody1351
02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
are there any books about it?

themole
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
are there any books about it?

"The Winning Edge" by Don Shula. Maybe find it on ebay. Haven't seen it in years. It was about the 72 season.

edit: come to think of it there are a couple of more. Both written only a couple of years ago. One by a life long fan living in NY and the other by a colmnist from one of the Miami papers.

google and you most likely will receive.

themole
02-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Here ya go! A lot more than I thought. Didn't see "The Winning Edge" though.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/subject/Miami%20Dolphins%20Football%20team

themole
02-05-2007, 11:49 PM
im doing a research paper for my history class on the 72 fins. it needs to be 15 pages so i need some books to use. what books should i use, or any other information that would be helpful. newspapers, anything.

Take a gander at this one.

http://www.phins.com/72phins/

Roman529
02-06-2007, 03:48 AM
You wouldn't find anymore than three or four paragraphs from that RAG. That's the very reason I stopped my subscription from them after that Superbowl. It was down right disrespectful the lack of coverage they gave the Phins after such an accomplishment.

Yeah I remember....the Superbowl wasn't really that big of a deal back then....I don't think it really got that big until the late 70's/early 80's. I don't know if the Miami papers covered it any better? :confused:

themole
02-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah I remember....the Superbowl wasn't really that big of a deal back then....I don't think it really got that big until the late 70's/early 80's. I don't know if the Miami papers covered it any better? :confused:

It's not so much that the SB wasn't that big a deal back then, it was the Phins went undefeated, Roman. I recognized the significance of that event even then, when there had only been seven SB games played.

There have been many who post here who say the media has no bias toward one team over another, yet ,I remember them brushing off the undefeated season as if was an annoying gnat flying around their faces. It has been 35 years since the upstart (AFL) Miami Dolphins accomplised that feat and it appears no one else will ever do it.

Only NOW, this year, has someone given them their due and recognized them for what they did.

That was a GREAT TEAM with a bunch of nonames. Bob Kuechenberg, one of the best O-linemen ever, can't get voted into the Hall of Fame because of the bias of the talking heads. They are afraid that they might give to much recognition to the team, by allowing one more Dolphin into the Hall.

Not ONE person from the defense has ever been nominated! (as far as I can recall)

I say the entire TEAM should be enshrined! You think if another 35 years have passed and the record still stands that they might enshrine the entire team? I would love to see it for many reasons. #1 is that it would mean that I made it 93 years on this earth, but most impotantly...they desreve it.

Just study the contents of this link and explain to me how ANYONE can deny their greatness.

I realize I got on a rant here, and you and I are on the same team Roman. Please don't think my frustrations were directed at you.:D

sirvmac
02-06-2007, 03:23 PM
There is a neat boook by Garo Y.,Garo Yepremian's Tales from the Miami Dolphins (http://www.amazon.com/Garo-Yepremians-Tales-Miami-Dolphins/dp/1582615500/sr=8-1/qid=1170789720/ref=sr_1_1/105-8711577-0920445?ie=UTF8&s=books). It is a great book. It has many of the untold stories and stuff. It also explains how Shula had a very bad relationship with Joe Robbie. Very good read.

Roman529
02-06-2007, 03:50 PM
It's not so much that the SB wasn't that big a deal back then, it was the Phins went undefeated, Roman. I recognized the significance of that event even then, when there had only been seven SB games played.

There have been many who post here who say the media has no bias toward one team over another, yet ,I remember them brushing off the undefeated season as if was an annoying gnat flying around their faces. It has been 35 years since the upstart (AFL) Miami Dolphins accomplised that feat and it appears no one else will ever do it.

Only NOW, this year, has someone given them their due and recognized them for what they did.

That was a GREAT TEAM with a bunch of nonames. Bob Kuechenberg, one of the best O-linemen ever, can't get voted into the Hall of Fame because of the bias of the talking heads. They are afraid that they might give to much recognition to the team, by allowing one more Dolphin into the Hall.

Not ONE person from the defense has ever been nominated! (as far as I can recall)

I say the entire TEAM should be enshrined! You think if another 35 years have passed and the record still stands that they might enshrine the entire team? I would love to see it for many reasons. #1 is that it would mean that I made it 93 years on this earth, but most impotantly...they desreve it.

Just study the contents of this link and explain to me how ANYONE can deny their greatness.

I realize I got on a rant here, and you and I are on the same team Roman. Please don't think my frustrations were directed at you.:D

I also think the 1972 Dolphins never got their just due. I believe Nick Buoniconti is the only defensive player from that team to be elected into the Hall of Fame. I think Manny Fernandez and Jake Scott should also be in the Hall. The Dolphins were not just a one year wonder,,,,they played in three consective Superbowls.....yet they never got the attention that the 1970's Steelers received, or the Patriots during the past five years. I was living in Italy when the Dolphins won their back to back SB's, and was only 6/7 years old. I listened to the games on the radio since they did not have worldwide telecasts back then. They've been my team ever since.

jason8er
02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Tape NFL Network's "America's Game" episode of the '72 FINS. They seem to be playing that series all week long, and then some.