PDA

View Full Version : Team Captain Levi Brown

IluvJuMiami
02-05-2007, 09:52 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=igNRxKai1mE

I like the fire. Sometimes you have to get in someone's face.

I'm not thrilled about taking Brown at 9. As of right now, 9 is way too high for Brown's value but I wouldn't mind trading down for him and picking up some extra picks. As it's always been though, we need a team to want to come up for us to move down.

Marshawn Lynch is currently rated #11 on scout's inc top 32 http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/index .

Perhaps Green Bay would be willing to trade up to 9 for Lynch. Ahman Green is an UFA http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsRB.html and a star RB might be the last piece an 8-8 Packers team needs to break into the playoffs.

According to this trade chart, http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687 , the difference between the 9th and 16th pick is 350 points.

Green Bay's 2nd round pick is worth 420 points. Though I would gladly take that 2 and exchange 1s, I would also ask for a 5th to replace the one we gave up for JH: 1(16), 2(41), 2(48), 3(73), 4(105), 5(144), 6(169), 7(201)

Also, I'd pull the trigger for Green Bay's 3rd, 4th, and 5th picks even though they only add up to 294 points: 1(16), 2(42), 3(73), 3(80), 4(105), 4(112), 5(144), 6(169), 7(201)

Obviously, the above situation is based on Marshawn Lynch actually being worthy of that #11 rank touted by scouts inc, him not being available at 16 for Green Bay, and Green Bay actually wanting to trade up.

I have a feeling Lynch may get hot the closer we get to the draft due to the lack of RB depth in this year's draft.

endorPHINS72
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure how that sexual assault charge will affect Lynch.

VT Dolphan
02-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I'd be Ok with drafting Brown. Not a sexy pick and somewhat of a reach, but we do really need a left tackle and I'd much prefer taking him to taking Ginn or a safety. You gotta love the fire that he showed on the sideline, you need a little bit of mean streak on the o-line.

I don't see Green Bay trading their second round pick to move up seven spots, it just seems like a bit much to me. Might as well move up higher and take Peterson if he falls past Cleveland.

shanem40
02-05-2007, 11:56 PM
i would love it if that trade happen but i wouldnt mid pickin him at 9 either

rob19
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
I like all the thought that went into it but Lynch is not a talent that is worth trading up for. In fact, they wont even have to, Lynch will probably be avalible in the 20's.

djphinfan
02-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I like Ginn first,but i would be happy with brown as well,WE NEED TOUGH GUYS ON OUR TEAM

Finole
02-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I'm not thrilled about taking Brown at 9. As of right now, 9 is way too high for Brown's value but I wouldn't mind trading down for him and picking up some extra picks.

Levi Brown might be gone by the time we pick. Here's a possible scenario...

1. Oakland - JaMarcus Russell
2. Detroit - Joe Thomas
3. TB - Calvin Johnson
4. Cleveland - Adrian Peterson
5. AZ - Jamaal Anderson or Levi Brown
6. Washington - Brady Quinn
7. Houston - Levi Brown or Jamaal Anderson
8. Minnesota - Gaines Adams

Then the Fins would end up taking one of these guys: DT Alan Branch, DT Amobi Okoye, S LaRon Landry, S Reggie Nelson, LB Paul Posluszny, LB Patrick Willis, WR Ted Ginn or WR Dwayne Jarrett.

My preference at that point would be trading down for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, and drafting Leon Hall in the 1st round. The way I figure it, a lockdown CB is our biggest need after Left Tackle.

We should consider ourselves lucky if we get Levi Brown at #9. Personally, I prefer Brown to Thomas because Brown never suffered the injury the Thomas did.

CANDolphan
02-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Oh.. my my my... LB Paul Posluszny, LB Patrick Willis?

No way.. thatd be the overreach of the century.

Also, chances are the only way we'll get to trade down is if by some nature Adrian Peterson slips to us @ #9. Green Bay would most definitely trade up with us to nab him before Atlanta , San Fran, and Buffalo get a chance.

Finole
02-06-2007, 01:25 AM

Also, chances are the only way we'll get to trade down is if by some nature Adrian Peterson slips to us @ #9. Green Bay would most definitely trade up with us to nab him before Atlanta , San Fran, and Buffalo get a chance.

Overreach of the century? I don't know about that.

But, yes, both of those LBs would probably be a reach. And I think you're right about Peterson. If he falls to #9, we should be able to trade down and pick up Hall, Puz, or Willis later in the 1st.

South Florida
02-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Vernon Carey was a reach.

rob19
02-06-2007, 01:49 AM

But, yes, both of those LBs would probably be a reach. And I think you're right about Peterson. If he falls to #9, we should be able to trade down and pick up Hall, Puz, or Willis later in the 1st.

Puz is a third round pick. Willis is a late first rounder (25-32 most likely) its also very possible he falls into the second round.

Ronnie23Brown
02-06-2007, 02:17 AM
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of drafting Levi Brown. My only question/worry is that is he more suited to play inside. If the powers that be say he can play LT, then hell yeah, draft him. This is the kinda guy Miami needs on its offensive line.

CANDolphan
02-06-2007, 02:29 AM

Lets see.. Willis left the Senior Bowl with a 2nd round grade on him by most scouts, and Poz left with a 3rd round grade on him..

yet a top 10 pick isnt considered a massive reach? Considering neither of them would start on the season opener?

Come on now!

Elliott 1
02-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Scout.com rates Levi Brown 54th in player prospect rankings. You can access the list from fox sports. You want to talk about the reach of the century, Brown at the 9th pick would be it!

finfan54
02-06-2007, 08:08 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=igNRxKai1mE

I like the fire. Sometimes you have to get in someone's face.

I'm not thrilled about taking Brown at 9. As of right now, 9 is way too high for Brown's value but I wouldn't mind trading down for him and picking up some extra picks. As it's always been though, we need a team to want to come up for us to move down.

Marshawn Lynch is currently rated #11 on scout's inc top 32 http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/index .

Perhaps Green Bay would be willing to trade up to 9 for Lynch. Ahman Green is an UFA http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsRB.html and a star RB might be the last piece an 8-8 Packers team needs to break into the playoffs.

According to this trade chart, http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687 , the difference between the 9th and 16th pick is 350 points.

Green Bay's 2nd round pick is worth 420 points. Though I would gladly take that 2 and exchange 1s, I would also ask for a 5th to replace the one we gave up for JH: 1(16), 2(41), 2(48), 3(73), 4(105), 5(144), 6(169), 7(201)

Also, I'd pull the trigger for Green Bay's 3rd, 4th, and 5th picks even though they only add up to 294 points: 1(16), 2(42), 3(73), 3(80), 4(105), 4(112), 5(144), 6(169), 7(201)

Obviously, the above situation is based on Marshawn Lynch actually being worthy of that #11 rank touted by scouts inc, him not being available at 16 for Green Bay, and Green Bay actually wanting to trade up.

I have a feeling Lynch may get hot the closer we get to the draft due to the lack of RB depth in this year's draft.

I do not get your rational on Levi. first you put up a video of him as a leader charcter, which only raises someones stock when you have obvious talent, then you say you wouldnt take him at #9.

I would suggest to people that the Buffalo Bills would take him at #12. Levi is not as much of a reach as people make him out to be. He has all the tools. If a team would trade up to get Cutler, which IMO he has all the tools, just needs to prove it at the next level, is not so much a reach. We need a LT and Levi Brown can play LT. Those who say he cant, do not know what they are talking about.

finfan54
02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I'd be Ok with drafting Brown. Not a sexy pick and somewhat of a reach, but we do really need a left tackle and I'd much prefer taking him to taking Ginn or a safety. You gotta love the fire that he showed on the sideline, you need a little bit of mean streak on the o-line.

I don't see Green Bay trading their second round pick to move up seven spots, it just seems like a bit much to me. Might as well move up higher and take Peterson if he falls past Cleveland.

Thats how I look at it. Ginn is a risk because he is a light *** WR. Fast as lightning, but a guy who may not make it through 5 years of football. Levi Brown has the potential to be around for 10-15 years. I do not think he is a reach in a sense that his postion carries a high premium. If the game starts up front, why would you get another Safety? Why would you take a chance on a WR who may become an arrogant dink? Levi Brown is no more a reach than anyone else listed in the first round from 10-32. Fact is, you dont really know what your getting until you see it long term. Players have to prove themselves at the next level. Thats why character is so important. Alot of talented guys never make it at the next level because they have character issues and cannot handle the pressure/money. Levi Brown is not that type of guy IMO.

Would it have been a reach for Miami to take Nick Mangold at 16 last year? IMO, no, but 99% of America would. But in the end, the guy is a player in a key position where only few play it that well. Levi Brown can play LT and has the character to take it to the next level.

finfan54
02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Scout.com rates Levi Brown 54th in player prospect rankings. You can access the list from fox sports. You want to talk about the reach of the century, Brown at the 9th pick would be it!

If Scout has him rated at 54, then I would suggest you burn that publication. I would like to see who they have as higher than him. I would bet you could pick out many bad sniffers there.

Geforce
02-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Go check it again. They have him at 16 right now.

Stitches
02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Puz might have a 3rd round grade, but I'd pretty much guarantee he'll be gone by the end of round 2.

Noodle Arm
02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I just don't see Brown as a starting LT in the NFL. He'll be an excellent RT though, but we already have one.

finfan54
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I just don't see Brown as a starting LT in the NFL. He'll be an excellent RT though, but we already have one.

No disrespect, but when someone just says "I just dont see Brown as a starting LT in the NFL" doesnt do it for me. You need to back up what you say with some critical analysis.

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I do not get your rational on Levi. first you put up a video of him as a leader charcter, which only raises someones stock when you have obvious talent, then you say you wouldnt take him at #9.

I would suggest to people that the Buffalo Bills would take him at #12. Levi is not as much of a reach as people make him out to be. He has all the tools. If a team would trade up to get Cutler, which IMO he has all the tools, just needs to prove it at the next level, is not so much a reach. We need a LT and Levi Brown can play LT. Those who say he cant, do not know what they are talking about.

Why do people speak in certainties around here like they know something the rest of us don't?

Some of you guys may be smarter than others, and I'm an idiot, so in my case it's not a reach, but you don't know JACK. You are speculating just like the rest of us. So come down off the horse before you begin to resemble it's backside.

I said "as of now" Levi Brown is not worth the #9 pick in the draft. The only rankings I trust are scout incs but many other rankings have Levi Brown no where near 9 as well. That is subject to change the closer we get to the draft LIKE EVERY OTHER YEAR SINCE THE DRAFT BEGAN.

Could the Bills reach for Brown? Ofcourse. They reached for Mcargo and Whitner last year. Does that mean we should jump off the same bridge only quicker because Marv Levy knows he's going to die soon and won't have to suffer a bad draft for many years to come?

Motion
02-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I'd love to have Brown, even at #9. He had a solid week in Mobile and should put up good numbers at the combine. I'm all for building the line up and letting Ronnie and Ricky run wild next season.

Motion
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Why do people speak in certainties around here like they know something the rest of us don't?

Some of you guys may be smarter than others, and I'm an idiot, so in my case it's not a reach, but you don't know JACK. You are speculating just like the rest of us. So come down off the horse before you begin to resemble it's backside.

I said "as of now" Levi Brown is not worth the #9 pick in the draft. The only rankings I trust are scout incs but many other rankings have Levi Brown no where near 9 as well. That is subject to change the closer we get to the draft LIKE EVERY OTHER YEAR SINCE THE DRAFT BEGAN.

Could the Bills reach for Brown? Ofcourse. They reached for Mcargo and Whitner last year. Does that mean we should jump off the same bridge only quicker because Marv Levy knows he's going to die soon and won't have to suffer a bad draft for many years to come?

Keep that in mind when posting for the next couple weeks. There are alot of people here with alot of different opinions. Hypocrisy runs wild.

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Keep that in mind when posting for the next couple weeks. There are alot of people here with alot of different opinions. Hypocrisy runs wild.

Is the pot calling the kettle black or where you merely being facetious?

Motion
02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Is the pot calling the kettle black or where you merely being facetious?
I was being honest.

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I was being honest.

Allow me to be the first to thank you for your honesty.

Motion
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Allow me to be the first to thank you for your honesty.

:wink: No problem

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
:wink: No problem

:wink: Right back atcha.

finfan54
02-06-2007, 03:46 PM

I watched the Senior Bowl. And with a critical eye. Levi Brown is the second best LT in this draft according to most everybody. That means he is not rated #54. To suggest this guy is a guy who is going to be drafted in the late second round is lunacy.

As was pointed out by someone else, Brown is not listed at 54 anymore but at 16. I trust my own eyes and my objectivity. I do not close my mind to most things. I am not a big Ginn fan but I have seen videos that have made me think a little bit more about the guy.

I am not saying draft Brown no matter what at #9. If Branch is there at 9, take him, he will benefit our defense tremendously and enable us to get rid of three older guys in one shot.

The reason alot of people including myself have no problem with getting a guy like Brown is we know he can play LT. We saw it. Mike Mayock said it best "he passes the eye ball test". He also said he just needs to see him be that guy on every play and not just most of the time. That is where an argument can be made on his draftability, but people do not make that point, they say, "i just dont think he can play LT" which is flat out wrong. That guy has been playing LT and has played it a short while unlike Joe Thomas so that means his upside is huge at LT.

Finole
02-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Mel Kiper rates him 14th (up from 19th). His stock is rising.

Finole
02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Thats how I look at it. Ginn is a risk because he is a light *** WR. Fast as lightning, but a guy who may not make it through 5 years of football. Levi Brown has the potential to be around for 10-15 years. I do not think he is a reach in a sense that his postion carries a high premium. If the game starts up front, why would you get another Safety? Why would you take a chance on a WR who may become an arrogant dink? Levi Brown is no more a reach than anyone else listed in the first round from 10-32. Fact is, you dont really know what your getting until you see it long term. Players have to prove themselves at the next level. Thats why character is so important. Alot of talented guys never make it at the next level because they have character issues and cannot handle the pressure/money. Levi Brown is not that type of guy IMO.

Would it have been a reach for Miami to take Nick Mangold at 16 last year? IMO, no, but 99% of America would. But in the end, the guy is a player in a key position where only few play it that well. Levi Brown can play LT and has the character to take it to the next level.

Yes! I agree. The whole idea of a reach (within a round) is ridiculous.

Let's say you have a chance to draft the best safety available in Round 1. You're picking 10th, but the safety is rated 20th. So you don't select him. Then that safety goes on to several Pro Bowls while the player you selected is crap, and finished after 3 years.

Here's the other problem: That safety won't be available when you make your pick in Round 2!!! To my way of thinking that is NOT a reach. That's just good common sense.

Now if that safety would have been available when it's your turn to pick in Round 2, then AND ONLY THEN would I consider that a reach.

All this other talk of "reach" and whatnot is just analysts and fans talking out of their buttholes.

Don't forget, it's not always possible to trade down. In fact, it very rarely happens. And it's huge risk if you're targeting one specific player.

Crowder52
02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes! I agree. The whole idea of a reach (within a round) is ridiculous.

Let's say you have a chance to draft the best safety available in Round 1. You're picking 10th, but the safety is rated 20th. So you don't select him. Then that safety goes on to several Pro Bowls while the player you selected is crap, and finished after 3 years.

Here's the other problem: That safety won't be available when you make your pick in Round 2!!! To my way of thinking that is NOT a reach. That's just good common sense.

Now if that safety would have been available when it's your turn to pick in Round 2, then AND ONLY THEN would I consider that a reach.

All this other talk of "reach" and whatnot is just analysts and fans talking out of their buttholes.

Don't forget, it's not always possible to trade down. In fact, it very rarely happens. And it's huge risk if you're targeting one specific player.

Great point Finole, and one I've tried to make before. A reach is only a reach if you could have gotten that player in the next round (see: Eddie Moore). The Bengals were maligned in the media a few years back for "reaching" when they took Levi Jones at #10, but they have the last laugh now, as he is a perennial Pro Bowler.

Imagine in the 2005 Draft if we took Shawne Merriman with the #2 overall pick. Everyone would have called it a reach and blasted us in the media. It's just stupid to criticize picks based on the rankings of publications.

MelbournePhin
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

atlanta and sf dont need peterson. they have norwood and gore.

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I watched the Senior Bowl. And with a critical eye. Levi Brown is the second best LT in this draft according to most everybody. That means he is not rated #54. To suggest this guy is a guy who is going to be drafted in the late second round is lunacy.

As was pointed out by someone else, Brown is not listed at 54 anymore but at 16. I trust my own eyes and my objectivity. I do not close my mind to most things. I am not a big Ginn fan but I have seen videos that have made me think a little bit more about the guy.

I am not saying draft Brown no matter what at #9. If Branch is there at 9, take him, he will benefit our defense tremendously and enable us to get rid of three older guys in one shot.

The reason alot of people including myself have no problem with getting a guy like Brown is we know he can play LT. We saw it. Mike Mayock said it best "he passes the eye ball test". He also said he just needs to see him be that guy on every play and not just most of the time. That is where an argument can be made on his draftability, but people do not make that point, they say, "i just dont think he can play LT" which is flat out wrong. That guy has been playing LT and has played it a short while unlike Joe Thomas so that means his upside is huge at LT.

See, I can read this post and say, "Makes sense. Finfan54 saids he's seen tape on Brown. Finfan54 thinks Brown has what it takes." I can factor something like that in when trying to get excited over Levi Brown.

It's a heck of a lot better than "Those who say he can't, do not know they are talking about."

I like Levi Brown and wouldn't be upset hearing his name as if I has just heard "And with the 16th pick in the draft the Miami Dolphins select Jason Allen, saftey out of Tennessee. WHO?!? "

IluvJuMiami
02-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Imagine in the 2005 Draft if we took Shawne Merriman with the #2 overall pick. Everyone would have called it a reach and blasted us in the media. It's just stupid to criticize picks based on the rankings of publications.

Yeah but then we couldn't have fans say Ronnie Brown is better than Reggie Bush and I refuse to live in a world where a true homer could not make the utterly ridiculous declaration that Ronnie Brown is better than Reggie Bush.

Crowder52
02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah but then we couldn't have fans say Ronnie Brown is better than Reggie Bush and I refuse to live in a world where a true homer could not make the utterly ridiculous declaration that Ronnie Brown is better than Reggie Bush.

But they could still compare Jason Allen to Polamalu. :lol:

dominizzo
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Like i said there is a much better BPA available at number 9 than levi brown

Jaj
02-07-2007, 02:06 AM
If there is then you draft him if not Levi Brown is a heck of a safety option.

Look what Houck did what a guy who looked like he was going to be a bust. His name is Vernon Carey...

Levi Jones was considered to be exactly where Levi Brown was draft-stock wise right now. Give Brown a little more time at the combine and he'll be there.

TexanPhinatic
02-07-2007, 03:07 AM
While I generally dont mind OL picks (I was hoping for Marcus McNeil last year in either round 1 or 2) Im not sold on Levi, or at least not on him as a LT.
I dunno, I guess I wouldnt be pissed if we took him, but I would rather see a guy like Ginn, and especially Quinn if he dropped.
Obviously, if hes playing LG in the probowl in 2-3-4 years we will be hailed as geniouses, but then again if he bombs out like a Mike Williams we will be derided for picking an inferior player at a spot we shouldnt have.

Im still gonna wait a bit and see what happens in FA first, maybe we resign DMac or sing a FA. Or maybe we will target a LT in a later round.