PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat 8

Phinz420
02-06-2007, 03:24 AM
Speaking with Game Informer (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0126.1420.01117.htm?Page=2), Ed Boon described an opportunity to start anew with the next version of Mortal Kombat, the eighth in the series. Boon revealed that MK8 will be built using Unreal Engine 3, inspired by Epic's recent engine showcase Gears of War (http://www.joystiq.com/search/?q=Gears+of+War).

MK8 is still a fighter at heart, and Boon and the team hope that by starting from scratch, Mortal Kombat can inspire the genre as it did more than a decade ago. "We're not going to have three fighting styles, we're not going to have the same punches and kicks and the same kind of control scheme. Everything is getting trashed. We're reinventing everything from the ground up," promised Boon. Boon admitted that MK8 is currently not in a playable state, supposing that its release won't come until the end of 2008.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/05/mortal-kombat-8-inspired-by-gears-of-war-using-unreal-engine-3/

Interesting.

Bruzer
02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Hmmm Wonder how they are going at it. They are right though can't keep same characters forever.

Phinz420
02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Hmmm Wonder how they are going at it. They are right though can't keep same characters forever.

The scratching of the old product really has nothing to do with overusing the same characters. In fact I would expect to see plenty of the same MK characters around in the next installment.

What they mean when starting from scratch is that they arent going to use the same combat scheme as they have used in the past few games since they first brought MK to Playstation 2.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
The scratching of the old product really has nothing to do with overusing the same characters. In fact I would expect to see plenty of the same MK characters around in the next installment.

What they mean when starting from scratch is that they arent going to use the same combat scheme as they have used in the past few games since they first brought MK to Playstation 2.

Actually from what I read they might actually be completely starting over with new characters and everything. That is why they included all the characters in the previous game and said that it ended that story

Phinz420
02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Actually from what I read they might actually be completely starting over with new characters and everything. That is why they included all the characters in the previous game and said that it ended that story

If that were the case, why even call it MK? The only reason they would continue the series is to cash in off of their hard work from the previous years.

In the interview where they talk about starting over, nothing is mentioned about the characters or the MK world.

"We're not going to have three fighting styles, we're not going to have the same punches and kicks and the same kind of control scheme.

It would just seem rather silly for them not to mention starting over with a new world and entirely new characters, and continue the MK franchise on with a new title. We will have to wait and see, but Im betting that had they decided to start with new characters that they would have mentioned it, along with not bothering to call the game "Mortal Kombat 8".

sirvmac
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM

I would rather have them keep the characters. They are what makes the MK games.

#1 Fan
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
some of the characters endings from mk7 suggest a return in mk8, so i think some will be back.

Phinz420
02-06-2007, 03:35 PM
some of the characters endings from mk7 suggest a return in mk8, so i think some will be back.

I wouldnt be upset over that. In fact, the game needs some new blood IMO. MK2 was the best of the entire franchise, and that introduced MANY new characters to the game.

I still remember owning my friends with Barraka for quite a few rounds in a row, untill they figured out how to cheese him completely that is :lol:

WestCKoastiN
02-09-2007, 12:52 AM
MK hasen't been fun i like the originals better..