PDA

View Full Version : Question for those in the know....

themole
06-13-2003, 03:04 PM
It's about time to lay my Mitsubishi 36" tube set to rest. The vertical hold is going out on it and I now have to slap it around a little to make it hold.

I'm considering a "Mitsubishi ws-55311 55" Gold Series hdtv upgradeable projection tv or the Sony 40" tube set.

My question is: On the Mitsubishi, it states it is hdtv upgradeable. What has to be done to make this tv a true hdtv?

My other choice of tv is the Sony 40" tube.

Den room size dictates the size of the tv.

Any suggestions as to which of these two will be the best bang for the buck would be most appreciated.

WeVie
06-13-2003, 03:32 PM
The bigger the better to me man. I just bought an Akai 54" HDTV. I bought it at Sam's Club for $1000 bucks. It was almost a steal I thought. Anyway I say grab the 55". You will love it. As far as the HDTV thing I am not sure about that. I think you(and me as well for that matter) will have to buy some sort of HDTV box or something like that. But I would'nt even worry about that right now because everyone I talked to said that it will be another three to four years before HDTV is big anyway. Almost no one even broadcast it yet although I have heard that Sunday Ticket will be using HD this year but not sure about that.

Capt. Dick
06-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by WeVie
The bigger the better to me man. I just bought an Akai 54" HDTV. I bought it at Sam's Club for $1000 bucks. It was almost a steal I thought. Anyway I say grab the 55". You will love it. As far as the HDTV thing I am not sure about that. I think you(and me as well for that matter) will have to buy some sort of HDTV box or something like that. But I would'nt even worry about that right now because everyone I talked to said that it will be another three to four years before HDTV is big anyway. Almost no one even broadcast it yet although I have heard that Sunday Ticket will be using HD this year but not sure about that.

Wow....I think HDTV`s that size go anywhere from $3000 to $7000 at Sears. Sounds like you got a helluva deal.

themole
06-13-2003, 03:59 PM
WeVie...Another thing I'm concerned about is the 55" is wide screen. 16:9 as opposed to 4:3.

Mitsubishi, has incorporated a feature that will automaticaly fill the screen if the broadcast is in 4:3 which for right now most all of them are.

I'm going to take another trip out the store and ask more questions.

themole
06-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Capt. Dick

Wow....I think HDTV`s that size go anywhere from $3000 to $7000 at Sears. Sounds like you got a helluva deal.

Capt. The TVs I'm looking at are at Sears.

One thing I found out from sears is that they will match any advertised sale and better it by 10%. Now this is an independent dealer here in Palatka.

All I have to do is bring in proof of price.

Capt. Dick
06-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by themole

Capt. The TVs I'm looking at are at Sears.

One thing I found out from sears is that they will match any advertised sale and better it by 10%. Now this is an independent dealer here in Palatka.

All I have to do is bring in proof of price.

Oh, that`s right mole. I forgot about that.

Cranx
06-13-2003, 04:23 PM
If I were you I'd sacrifice the size in the projection for the tube TV, here's why:

With a projection TV you have a very limited viewing angle. If you're not looking at the TV from right in front of it at eye level, then you sacrifice a lot of viewability. In other words, if you're standing up or sitting at an angle, you're losing a lot of picture quality. With the tube TV (I'm assuming it's flat screen for comparison sake) you have almost the same picture quality regardless of the viewing angle. The pictures are usually quite a bit brihter and a bit more crisp than on the projection TV's.

I had to make a similar choice about a year ago and I wound up going with a 36" Sony Wega flat screen, non HD, and I haven't regretted it one bit. I'd say experiment with both of them for a bit, look at them from different angles, and then make your determination from there.

One more thing about HD: there's a huge debate raging between the entertainment industry and the entertainment product manufacturers (i.e. Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc.) about digital recording capability. The entertainment industry (Hollywood) wants to place Digital Rights Management (DRM) software onto movies that will be broadcast in HD. The DRM software will provide expiration dates, watermarks, and licenses to personal users so they can't record and burn a million digital copies of any movie they watch. Unlike the old analogue technology, you can make as many copies as you want without losing one bit of integrity from one copy to the next.

Additionally, amongst the manufacturers, they can't decide upon a recording platform. Mitsubishi has tried to jumpstart things by placing firewires into their TV's but, as it stands right now, no other manufacturer has the capability to record digitally due to the fact that there is a debate as to whether firewire or another technology (there are a couple being tested) is the best platform for secure digital recording. What this means is that, right now, you likely will not be able to record ANY of the HD broadcasts in HD quality.

Good luck, I hope this helped.

themole
06-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks Expo...really, viewability angle will not be a problem. I have my own little world at the other end of my house confined to 12'x18'. This is my domain with computer and TV. No soap operas or Oxygen or WE channels allowed to be watched in this room. LOL . As you might imagine a 55" placed right in the middle of a 12' wide room with 8' ceiling's isn't to bad. Although I wholeheartly agree with you on the tube issue. This 36" mitsubishi tube has been nothing but a delight. I just would rather go with something larger. The 40" Sony is tube btw. A few things I must take into consideration I guess.:rolleyes: I don't know how much service I can expect to get from a projection bulb before it needed to be replaced. I just started looking today is why i don't have more info.

WeVie
06-13-2003, 06:05 PM
I have never heard of a projection tv "breaking down" but I am sure it happens. I paid $54 dollars for a three year warranty. Parts, labor, so on and so forth. They will even come to the house and fix it. Go see what they have at Sam's Club. To me it's well worth the membership fee.

As far as looking at my TV from an angle it's not bad at all. I think they some how fixed that with some of the newer TVs.

But I will say this also. I hate widescreen TVs but that is something you either like or dislike.

WeVie
06-13-2003, 06:59 PM

I think what you are talking about is the plasma HDTVs. The ones you can hang on the wall right? I have just a regular big screen rear projection tv that is "HDTV ready" I think is what they call it. I think that I will still have to buy some sort of box or something like that to be able to have true HDTV.

themole
06-13-2003, 07:29 PM

I think what you are talking about is the plasma HDTVs. The ones you can hang on the wall right? I have just a regular big screen rear projection tv that is "HDTV ready" I think is what they call it. I think that I will still have to buy some sort of box or something like that to be able to have true HDTV.

WeVie...I just returned from another TV scouting outing. Ran into some good fortune while I was out too. As it turns out I went to a REX's and while talking to the manager discovered that he is the son of one my best friends that passed away ten years ago. This boy went off to a small school in Alabama to play football and I haven't seen him since he was around ten years old. Anyway he told me he would give me the family deal so I will take him up on this. He informed me that Hatachi makes the best projection screens and I confirmed that through Consumer Reports. He confirmed what you said about haveing to get a box to be able to receive true hdtv signal. The only reason I'm considering wide screen is because that seems to be the format that will prevail for the future.

Capt. Dick
06-13-2003, 07:38 PM

Yup, that`s the one. Incredable picture.

themole
06-13-2003, 08:04 PM

Yup, that`s the one. Incredable picture.

Capt. While the picture is outstanding on the plasma, there isn't THAT much difference between the $6000, 42" one I just looked at and the $1999, 55" Sony projection that was sitting right beside it. You could tell a slight difference but I think the digital hdtv signal is what most impresses me.

Capt. Dick
06-13-2003, 08:12 PM

Capt. While the picture is outstanding on the plasma, there isn't THAT much difference between the $6000, 42" one I just looked at and the $1999, 55" Sony projection that was sitting right beside it. You could tell a slight difference but I think the digital hdtv signal is what most impresses me.

Hell mole, I really can`t tell one from another. I`m at the age that I`m appreciating tv`s being in color and not in black and white anymore.

themole
06-13-2003, 08:19 PM

Hell mole, I really can`t tell one from another. I`m at the age that I`m appreciating tv`s being in color and not in black and white anymore.

:rofl: Capt. I really didn't want to admit this but that is a big reason for me looking at projection rather than tube. I need BIGGER. Ole peepers ain't what they used to be. Until I was 50 I never wore glasses. In the past 5 years I've worn out two pair.:lol:

Capt. Dick
06-13-2003, 08:23 PM

:rofl: Capt. I really didn't want to admit this but that is a big reason for me looking at projection rather than tube. I need BIGGER. Ole peepers ain't what they used to be. Until I was 50 I never wore glasses. In the past 5 years I've worn out two pair.:lol:

Yeah, I know that we`re about the same age. The ol` body`s aint what they used to be. :lol:

Pretty neat, running into your buddies son. It`s interesting how life works sometime.

themole
07-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Well...I did it! After a month of research and due deligence I finaly bit the bullet and bought the "Hitachi 51 SWX 20B" HDTV upgradeable projection screen.

Man that was a lot of work. I had so many questions and concerns to overcome before I could allow myself to buy a projection screen. Things like screen burnin, viewing angles,dependability, should I get wide screen over standard 4:3.

Anyway I got this 16:9 set up friday and hooked up a new pair of Cerwin Vega surround sound speakers to the A/V and I gotta to tell ya, this baby is something to behold. I'm still on standard cable and that's one thing that concerned me...would standard cable provide a strong enough signal. The picture is so sharp even on cable. When you plug in a DVD it really comes to life " I don't even have a progressive scan dvd player yet".

It's marvelous, I'm hard to please when it comes to my sounds and video and this machine meets all my expectations. LOL the wife is eating nails at the price of this stuff though.

I like to tweek, so I ordered a ovation AVIA home theater calibration disk that will really allow me to fine tune the tv as well as the surround sound system.

Now I'm ready for some Phins football to fill that screen.

Thanks for the input and advice guys. Believe me I considered each and everyone of your comments before I spent that much money on a TV and your pros and cons helped me make the decision.

WeVie
07-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Congrats. I promise you this. You will not regret the purchase. My grandfather had been talking about buying one and as soon as h seen mine he went and bought one about a week later and he loves it too.

themole
07-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Congrats. I promise you this. You will not regret the purchase. My grandfather had been talking about buying one and as soon as h seen mine he went and bought one about a week later and he loves it too.

Thanks WeVie...No doubt. I'm enjoying this thing so much. The calibration disk will be here today and I can't wait to start tweeking on it. I also found out that for about $250.00 I can have a technition come in and do a professional calibration on the guns and conversion and that would really make the difference. It is so good now I don't see how it could get any better.

BTW...are you close to Haysi Va.? I know a lot of people from that area.

WeVie
07-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Yes maybe an hour away from there. It's not that far

Peebs
07-08-2003, 10:13 PM
36" tube

Holy Crap Mole! :eek: How do you wear pants? :tongue:

Btw...congrats on the new HDTV! Football season will be fun in the Mole household!:D

themole
07-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Peebs

Holy Crap Mole! :eek: How do you wear pants? :tongue:

Btw...congrats on the new HDTV! Football season will be fun in the Mole household!:D

PEEEEEBS!!!!!:rofl: :biggrin: :evil:

Themole blushes...Then proudly stands for the world to see his newly aquired prominece.

themole
07-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Yes maybe an hour away from there. It's not that far

Here are some names of families from the Haysi/Grundy area that have been down here for 55 years.

Willis
Looney
Neese
Thacker
Mc Clanahan

BTW If you are serious about home theatre "Big screens" and all the questons that come with exacting every ounce of performance from them check this sight out.

www.avsforum.com