PDA

View Full Version : McGahee Won't Be Ready for Start of Bills' Training Camp

WharfRat
06-13-2003, 05:00 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Running back Willis McGahee, recovering from knee surgery, won't be ready to practice when the Buffalo Bills open training camp in six weeks.

That McGahee won't be ready when rookies and selected veterans are scheduled to report on July 23 shouldn't be a surprise. When they drafted him, team officials said McGahee will likely open the season on the physically unable to perform list. Such a move would allow McGahee to continue to recuperate, while leaving open the possibility of activating him between Weeks 10-14.It's also possible McGahee could miss the entire season after he tore three ligaments in his left knee during Miami's loss to Ohio State in last January's Fiesta Bowl.

Question is... will he ever be the same?
Full Story (http://sports.iwon.com/news/06132003/v6416.html)

XoPhinsoX
06-13-2003, 05:49 PM
:cry: Let's hope not ;). If he wasn't on the Bills. . I wouldn't care then.

TigerJ
06-13-2003, 09:58 PM
No one can answer that. Bill's GM Tom Donahoe definitely likes to keep the odds on his side, however. The Bills checked him out pretty thouroughly before the draft. They wanted to make sure that the surgery was not only successful but the knee appears to be sound. Comments have been made that it seems smooth, that is there are not bumps and such where you would not expect them. The fact that he won't be in training camp is no surprise to the Bills. All along their concern has been that he not push himself harder than would be good for the knee.

WharfRat
06-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Nice to see you back Tiger!! It's been a while!

iceblizzard69
06-14-2003, 11:24 AM
After what Drew Rosenhaus said before the draft, I'm shocked. :rolleyes2

ohall
06-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
No one can answer that. Bill's GM Tom Donahoe definitely likes to keep the odds on his side, however. The Bills checked him out pretty thouroughly before the draft. They wanted to make sure that the surgery was not only successful but the knee appears to be sound. Comments have been made that it seems smooth, that is there are not bumps and such where you would not expect them. The fact that he won't be in training camp is no surprise to the Bills. All along their concern has been that he not push himself harder than would be good for the knee.

I heard they never even gave him a physical before the draft, they just went by what other ppl had to say. I believe it was one of the Bill's brass that said that on Hank's show.

Oliver...

Va.fin fan
06-14-2003, 07:46 PM
as gomer would say surprise- surprise i would not be shocked if he's not put on unable to perform list or ir that was no minor injury, not saying he doesnt have heart but playing the game is alot diff than doing a brief workout the bills should be smart and not even risk this kid this yr let him fully heal.

Barbarian
06-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Exactly. Nobody in their right mind was expecting Willis to contribute this year. That knee injury was horrific and the thing he needs to do more than anything else is rehab rehab rehab...

I expect that when he does finally start he will be a high quality (possibly elite) RB in the league, but that day is still a ways off especially as long as Buffalo has a quality starter in Henry back there.

I still wonder why they drafted him with having Henry under contract for a few more years and all, seems they had bigger needs that could have been filled nicely at that pick, but thats another debate entirely.

Josh Reed
06-15-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Oliver

I heard they never even gave him a physical before the draft, they just went by what other ppl had to say. I believe it was one of the Bill's brass that said that on Hank's show.

Oliver...

Your so full of sh*t!:lol:

TigerJ
06-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks, Wharfrat. I stop in to look now and then. Naturally I'll be a more frequent visitor after the season starts.

Oliver, regarding Buffalo's research into McGahee before the draft: there was one occasion when Rosenhaus conducted a little circus sideshow to show off his client where Buffalo was noticed by its absence. Tom Donahoe was later asked to comment on Buffalo's lack of representation. He said in effect that Buffalo had done their homework thoroughly before that point using medical professionals and had no need to participate in such publicity stunts.

M-REAL
06-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Willis was chosen because when he is in full health he will definitely be a huge threat in the nfl. What happened to him was a shame, but after going to the Bills, as a Fin-Fan he is now my enemy.(Just in a good football spirit stance) I still hope he recovers though, it was fun watching him play. He reminds me of another Ricky W.

JoePhila
07-04-2003, 06:26 PM
I'd have been more surprised if he was ready

t2thejz
07-04-2003, 09:31 PM
He wont play this season anyway, t henry is

SABA-TOOTH
07-09-2003, 05:07 AM
IT'S NICE TO SEE BUFFALO WASTE THEIR FIRST ROUND PICKS ON SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT HELP THEM...

THANKS BILLS FOR BUYING INTO A SLICK AGENTS TRICK......D1

SHULA IS GOD<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MOULDSROCKS
07-09-2003, 03:57 PM
"seems they had bigger needs that could have been filled nicely at that pick, but thats another debate entirely."

That's fascinating... tell me more.

"IT'S NICE TO SEE BUFFALO WASTE THEIR FIRST ROUND PICKS ON SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT HELP THEM...

THANKS BILLS FOR BUYING INTO A SLICK AGENTS TRICK......D1"

That's fascinating, tell me more.

SABA-TOOTH
07-09-2003, 04:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

the truth is your d is a little better..... spikes

but your offense is weaker..... - priceless

our d is a lot better.... seau, knight and zgoniza

our o hasn't lost anyone plus picking up a very good #2 qb-griese

------------------------------------------------------------------------

you are a bills fan and will believe what you want but miami is

hungry and embarrassed about last year.... that is why we brought in

3 new team leaders... not to mention one of the best nickel backs

ever terrell buckley.... the defense never rest.....

JoePhila
07-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
&quot;seems they had bigger needs that could have been filled nicely at that pick, but thats another debate entirely.&quot;

That's fascinating... tell me more.

&quot;IT'S NICE TO SEE BUFFALO WASTE THEIR FIRST ROUND PICKS ON SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT HELP THEM...

THANKS BILLS FOR BUYING INTO A SLICK AGENTS TRICK......D1&quot;

That's fascinating, tell me more.

I don't think it's really a waste if the guy pans out in a year or two. He could be the best running back in the NFL someday.

SABA-TOOTH
07-13-2003, 04:00 AM
as aerosmith says:

"DREAM ON"