PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Quinn falls to the Dolphins at #9?

ADDiKT
02-06-2007, 07:12 PM
::Taken from Mel Kiper's page on ESPN Insider 02/06/07::

"In my latest first-round projection, I have underclassmen making up half of the top 32 picks, including 12 of the first 20 spots on the board.

I still have LSU junior QB JaMarcus Russell (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146755) going with the first overall pick to Oakland. However, the biggest buzz could center around Oklahoma junior RB Adrian Peterson (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161717) (6-1½, 223 pounds). His workout numbers at the NFL combine should look something like this: 4.37 in the 40-yard dash; 38-inch vertical leap; and eight percent body fat. I have Peterson going to Cleveland, which will have either the third or fourth pick, depending on a coin flip tiebreaker with Tampa Bay; but there also could be several teams interested in trading up to get Peterson.

If Peterson does go to Cleveland, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329) could slide to the Dolphins with the ninth pick. The reason Quinn would fall to Miami? Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback. You could make a case for the Texans or Vikings to draft Quinn, but I don't expect that to happen. "

Brad528
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I hope not because I personally think that Quinn is highly overrated and hasnt won a big game in his career. He struggled early and didnt get the hype untill Weiss came on and even then didnt impress me too much against high grade opponents

newlownorder
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I hope not because I personally think that Quinn is highly overrated and hasnt won a big game in his career. He struggled early and didnt get the hype untill Weiss came on and even then didnt impress me too much against high grade opponents

He's better than what we have now.

SCall13
02-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Maybe so. But the same was said about Peyton Manning.

Shoes
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM

I really don't think the Fins would/should draft him but I think the we would get tons of interest to trade the pick. That being said, I still think he will be gone by number 9.

VT Dolphan
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Maybe so. But the same was said about Peyton Manning.

Well put, I was about to make the same point. If Quinn is there at nine, it should be money in the bank.

ohiobryan
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
if quinn is there at 9 its a steal of a lifetime!

The Confessor
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I think Kiper is just brushing up on his Trig looking into those obsure angles...:lol:

miami234ever
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I think it's totally possible. I've been saying all along that it will happen, I'm just not sure if we'll pick him. We'll have to wait (seems like forever) and see.

FinsAreLife
02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
idk we'll see

JERSEYFINFAN23
02-06-2007, 07:43 PM
It would be great to get a franchise QB, then let jim sit to learn at nlf speed for a 1/2 a year or 2. if we still struggle next year have another top ten pick we can get the franchise LT we need

NJPHIN34
02-06-2007, 07:49 PM

How can you judge a college QB on his winning or not winning the big game in his career? That's sort of like saying that Marino isn't one of the best QBs ever because he didn't win the superbowl. Football remains a team game on every level, so it doesn't really matter whether or not "1" player happens to be on a team that wins something significant. What we should be judging Quinn on is his individual production which has been great. He has progressed nicely every year and threw for 37 TDs and only 7 INTs, with a 61.9 comp pct rate and a 146.65 QB rating his senior year.

Your argument that he didn't get hype until Weiss came around is lacking. The 2 years of his career before Weiss came are commonly referred to as "freshman" and "sophmore" year. To expect "greatness" in those first, learning years is ludicrous. What you want to see out of these years is progress; which is what Quinn has displayed. Let's also not forget that most college football players hardly ever see the field in their first 2 seasons; let alone at the QB position and a very high profile college. Weiss also runs a pro style offense, which should be an indicator the Quinn can handle a similar system in the NFL.

We would be extremely fortunate to land Quinn at #9. Look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Don't judge the man's college career on the Sugar Bowl. Judge it as a collective whole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329

Stitches
02-06-2007, 07:57 PM

He hasn't won a big game in his career, because his performances aren't the only thing that determine an outcome of a game. His teams were constantly overrated, and would therefore be outmatched in any big game. And quite often he helped keep it close. He almost helped lead ND to a win over USC two seasons ago, when they had no business being in that game considering the USC talent. It figured that the defense let them down at the end of the game, not unlike thier bowl game against OSU only a few weeks later.

NJPHIN34
02-06-2007, 08:01 PM
He hasn't won a big game in his career, because his performances aren't the only thing that determine an outcome of a game. His teams were constantly overrated, and would therefore be outmatched in any big game. And quite often he helped keep it close. He almost helped lead ND to a win over USC two seasons ago, when they had no business being in that game considering the USC talent. It figured that the defense let them down at the end of the game, not unlike thier bowl game against OSU only a few weeks later.

You're talking about the game where Leinart threw a ballsy, deep pass on 4th down and then went for the sneak to win the game? The one ND should have won?

jlfin
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM

How many big games did Manning win at Tenn? How about Jay Cutler?
You say he didn't get the hype until after Weiss came on board. Well that would have been after his soph yr at ND. How many QB's around the country are getting hyped after their soph yrs? Not many
His stats were solid against high grade opponents. They are even more impressive when you consider how much weaker his teammates were when compared to their opponents.

D-bolt
02-06-2007, 08:06 PM
If Quinn is there at our pick you have to take him. You use the same philosophy that Shula did when he drafted Marino. We might be better off trying to find a LT next year as their seems to be more highly regarded prospects available in the first round like Long and Baker. Back to Quinn, you never pass up the chance to take a franchise signal caller unless you have one that will be with your team for the next 10yrs.

jlfin
02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
How can you judge a college QB on his winning or not winning the big game in his career? That's sort of like saying that Marino isn't one of the best QBs ever because he didn't win the superbowl. Football remains a team game on every level, so it doesn't really matter whether or not "1" player happens to be on a team that wins something significant. What we should be judging Quinn on is his individual production which has been great. He has progressed nicely every year and threw for 37 TDs and only 7 INTs, with a 61.9 comp pct rate and a 146.65 QB rating his senior year.

Your argument that he didn't get hype until Weiss came around is lacking. The 2 years of his career before Weiss came are commonly referred to as "freshman" and "sophmore" year. To expect "greatness" in those first, learning years is ludicrous. What you want to see out of these years is progress; which is what Quinn has displayed. Let's also not forget that most college football players hardly ever see the field in their first 2 seasons; let alone at the QB position and a very high profile college. Weiss also runs a pro style offense, which should be an indicator the Quinn can handle a similar system in the NFL.

We would be extremely fortunate to land Quinn at #9. Look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Don't judge the man's college career on the Sugar Bowl. Judge it as a collective whole.

Excellent and informative post. Weiss has also stated that Quinn is a quick study and picked up his vast playbook without any problems. He is the most NFL ready of any QB coming out this year.

Regan21286
02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
If Peterson does go to Cleveland, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329) could slide to the Dolphins with the ninth pick. The reason Quinn would fall to Miami? Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback. You could make a case for the Texans or Vikings to draft Quinn, but I don't expect that to happen. "

Then I hope the Browns follow Kiper's prediction and draft Peterson. Vikings have Jackson and I'm sure Childress will want to try him out. Viks need a veteran non-statue-legged QB, not another rookie.

If Brady Quinn hasn't won the big game, neither has Culpepper. So what's the point?

nick1
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
definitely could happen and I think it will, I posted a mock draft of the top 9 a week ago in which I had Quinn falling to us and I explained why other teams won't take him and why he will fall to us. he will be a great QB anybody who says otherwise has fallen off their rocker

$UpErBoWlCh@Mp
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM

I agree a 110%. I think hes like Aaron Rodgers of this draft.

finnyfan4life
02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Brady Quinn would be so sweet.

ChambersWI
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
The Browns apparantly really want Peterson. They'll look at Quinn because he's a local guy and a Browns fan, but Charlie Frye looked ok when healthy (considering his only two real threats on offense are Edwards and Winslow).

nick1
02-06-2007, 08:28 PM
first off Rodgers hasn't played enough for anyone to be able to call him a bust, secondly care to explain how Quinn is like Rodgers? I don't see any similiarities

Bonedoc7777
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
if he falls you have to pick him

ChambersWI
first off Rodgers hasn't played enough for anyone to be able to call him a bust, secondly care to explain how Quinn is like Rodgers? I don't see any similiarities

he means he's projected by many as first overall, but falls because of other needs.

Aqua4Ever04
Although I believe Culpepper is going to be just fine, it sure is an attractive pick. I just don't think we can pass him up if he falls to us. It would mean the best of both worlds because either Daunte gets back to his old self and then we have two good QBs, or we end up with our franchise QB for the future. (Assuming Quinn is a solid player of course.)

Regan21286
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Considering Aaron Rodgers has yet to start a game only because Brett Favre is still creaking around, I wouldn't call him a bust yet. And Rodgers is a Tedford QB. Tedford's system tends to stunt a QB's true abilities. Quinn is a Weis product. Though the only other Weis QB is Tom Brady, I'd say that's a pretty good standard to look at.

DonShula84
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Marino sucks too because he never won the big game right? And comparing Quinn to Rogers means you never saw either play.

idaho
02-06-2007, 08:32 PM
If Quinn is there at our pick you have to take him. You use the same philosophy that Shula did when he drafted Marino. We might be better off trying to find a LT next year as their seems to be more highly regarded prospects available in the first round like Long and Baker. Back to Quinn, you never pass up the chance to take a franchise signal caller unless you have one that will be with your team for the next 10yrs.

I agree. The fact that we have not made the qb a high priority in the past in the draft has set this franchise in it's current loser mode. We should have been drafting a qb every year. They are that important. Picking up other teams waste at qb is the game plan of the Raiders. Let's not sink to that level.

finnyfan4life
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
You take Quinn if he is there, sit him for a year(just like the Rivers situation) and see what Daunte has. If Daunte does not work out then you have your QB waiting in the wings. If Daunte does return to old form then you have a high profile player "Quinn" in a high profile position with high trade value.

ChambersWI
02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
you guys are missing the Quinn/Rodgers comparison. It's not in their play or that Rodgers is a bust. Rodgers was believed to be the number 1 overall pick, but the 9ers took Smith, then we passed, then Chicago, then Tampa, ect. He's saying that Quinn will have that type of drop.

I'd say he'll have more of a Leinart drop since Rodgers, while a good prospect, would've been a mid to late first rounder anyways had Leinart declared

Regan21286
02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
you guys are missing the Quinn/Rodgers comparison. It's not in their play or that Rodgers is a bust. Rodgers was believed to be the number 1 overall pick, but the 9ers took Smith, then we passed, then Chicago, then Tampa, ect. He's saying that Quinn will have that type of drop.

I'd say he'll have more of a Leinart drop since Rodgers, while a good prospect, would've been a mid to late first rounder anyways had Leinart declared

No, the fact that he agreed "110%" with the post that he's quoting (that says Quinn can't win the big games, is overrated, and we shouldn't draft him) tends to say he's very much biased against Quinn and compares him to Aaron Rodgers (who also didn't win the big game). If he wanted to compare QB's dropping, then Matt Leinart would've been a more comparable example.

dolphinfan0762
02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
quinn at #9.... just in case CPEP is not fully healed.

slyfox13
02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
::Taken from Mel Kiper's page on ESPN Insider 02/06/07::

"In my latest first-round projection, I have underclassmen making up half of the top 32 picks, including 12 of the first 20 spots on the board.

I still have LSU junior QB JaMarcus Russell (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146755) going with the first overall pick to Oakland. However, the biggest buzz could center around Oklahoma junior RB Adrian Peterson (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161717) (6-1½, 223 pounds). His workout numbers at the NFL combine should look something like this: 4.37 in the 40-yard dash; 38-inch vertical leap; and eight percent body fat. I have Peterson going to Cleveland, which will have either the third or fourth pick, depending on a coin flip tiebreaker with Tampa Bay; but there also could be several teams interested in trading up to get Peterson.

If Peterson does go to Cleveland, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329) could slide to the Dolphins with the ninth pick. The reason Quinn would fall to Miami? Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback. You could make a case for the Texans or Vikings to draft Quinn, but I don't expect that to happen. "cam wont draft a qb in the first rd:cooldude:

Phishstix
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
cam wont draft a qb in the first rd:cooldude:

it's not up to cam.:evil:

GCD960
02-06-2007, 09:17 PM
cam wont draft a qb in the first rd:cooldude:

Why not?

PHAZINPHINZPHAN
02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Trade down if Brady Quinn is there

fish fan 4 life
02-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I dont think he slips down that far.

Webb78OLman
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
You take Quinn if he is there, sit him for a year(just like the Rivers situation) and see what Daunte has. If Daunte does not work out then you have your QB waiting in the wings. If Daunte does return to old form then you have a high profile player "Quinn" in a high profile position with high trade value.

Or if Daunte returns to his old form, either (a) hang onto him for another year to give Quinn more time to be ready to take over and then trade Daunte, or (b) trade him next year when his value is still high.

If we are going to draft Quinn, if he falls to us, that means we are investing in him as our franchise QB. If we do that, there is no way we are trading him off. I would see us do the same thing the Chargers did with Philip Rivers and Drew Brees. It would be great if Quinn falls to us, but the draft is still 2 months away (it's the end of April right?). A lot can happen between now and then, some players stock can fall, others can rise, and other teams can trade up.

Enforcerfin33
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I dont think he slips down that far.
He wont make it passed #2, if Oakland doesn't take him, Detroit will.

Lab3003
02-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I wrote an article describing why I think the Dolphins should take Quinn if he's available. Click on the link in my signature to read it.

aerokev
02-06-2007, 09:59 PM

if you mean 0-2 in bowl games then no he hasn't. or if you mean beating teams like Michigan (twice), tennessee (twice), and Penn st. then he has. quinn will be the best player in the draft, and i doubt that he is there at 9, but if he is miami should jump all over him.

aerokev
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
No, the fact that he agreed "110%" with the post that he's quoting (that says Quinn can't win the big games, is overrated, and we shouldn't draft him) tends to say he's very much biased against Quinn and compares him to Aaron Rodgers (who also didn't win the big game). If he wanted to compare QB's dropping, then Matt Leinart would've been a more comparable example.

leinert dropped because he has no arm strength.

aerokev
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM

you are right that rogers dropped because he really should not have been rated as high as he was. he was just the 2nd rated QB in a bad class and teams were not missing out on anyone. quinn will be a franchise QB

nick1
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I wrote an article describing why I think the Dolphins should take Quinn if he's available. Click on the link in my signature to read it.

if Quinn makes it past the top 3 teams than he should fall to us because after those 3 nobody else who want him picks before we do. Oaklank will take Russel, Detriot will take Joe Thomas, and Cleveland will take Adrian Peterson meaning Quinn will fall to us at #9

aerokev
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
if Quinn makes it past the top 3 teams than he should fall to us because after those 3 nobody else who want him picks before we do. Oaklank will take Russel, Detriot will take Joe Thomas, and Cleveland will take Adrian Peterson meaning Quinn will fall to us at #9

assuming a team doesn't trade up to get him

Enforcerfin33
02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Why would Oak-town take Russell? He's just a younger version of Brooks.

SR 7
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I dono, i hope he DESONT fall b/c there are a few players i really want at number 9 b/c if he is on the board at 9 (meaning quinn) i really wnat him. loll its a lose lose situatioin cuz i just want many players!

SQuinn17
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
notre dames defense has sucked while quinn was there, i wold love it if we could snag him at 9.

ADDiKT
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Why would Oak-town take Russell? He's just a younger version of Brooks.

I think the only similarities between Russell and Brooks is that both are black.

Russell is 6'6" 260LB
Brooks is 6'4" 220LB

Russell is faster, Has a Stronger arm, Doesn't make the dumb mistake... Brooks, well have you seen him play???

etsudolfan
02-06-2007, 10:29 PM
If he is there at #9 we have to take him. People can say what they want, but the fact of the matter is this guy is a good qb and with Cameron working with him, he could turn out pretty well

Rytackle22
02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Manning never won the big game in college either

Crunkcore
02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
If Quinn drops to 9, we have to take him in a heartbeat.

Xbrett82us
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Just saw it on ESPN, I know it doesn't mean very much, but I thought it was pretty interesting. I was not expecting Quinn to be available at the 9 spot, and frankly I don't think he would fit well in Miami. Thoughts?

nick1
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Russel best compares to Culpepper not Brooks and the reason anyone takes him over Quinn is based on potential, however Quinn is more polished therefore if I had to choose Russel or Quinn it would be Quinn. I take the surething over the unknown

Commie_000
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't know if anyone listens to the Dan Patrick show in the afternoon, but he had Brady Quinn on the show and asked him if he knew where Mel Kiper had him on the draft board. Quinn guessed Cleveland, and Patrick told him no: MIAMI! Unfortunatly I can't find this on any of Kiper's boards, so I'm thinking either Patrick is seeing a board that only ESPN people can see as of now, or he just misread/misheard something. It doesn't seem that would be the case though since Patrick is a reliable reporter and he wouldn't want to cause speculation like that in front of Brady Quinn himself without having some fact to base it on. Anyways, interesting to note that some are seeing this as a possible repeat of last year with Leinert and how he dropped to around the 9 (10) spot. If this is the case, I have to say go for it, especially since we know what Cam can do with quarterback's like Quinn. I think a breath of fresh air like Brady Quinn is what we need in this town: A nice guy from Notre Dame with a strong arm looking to prove himself in the NFL. I think we're all sick of bringing in broken down, used, and sideshow quarterbacks. We should definitely draft a QB if he's there in the first round.

Dors156
if Quinn is there at 9, there is no way we wont take him it just seems highly unlikely to pass on such a good player.

tmny99
Merge and move to draft forum please

unifiedtheory
Quinn will not fall past Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa and Houston....

bluehaze
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Just saw it on ESPN, I know it doesn't mean very much, but I thought it was pretty interesting. I was not expecting Quinn to be available at the 9 spot, and frankly I don't think he would fit well in Miami. Thoughts?

There is a rumor flying around that the Phins are going to trade 1st and 3rd to Washington for their first and Draft Quinn at 6 instead of nine. I think our future is getting brighter all the time!

dominizzo
Im just not sold on Quinn

tmny99
Mods please Merge and move to draft forum. Many thanks.

SweetLou
02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
NO to Quinn. Honestly, I'm not a big fan. He folds under pressure and is way overrated. I don't think it would be smart to waste a 1st rounder on him when we can address other team needs such as OL, DL, DB, or even WR. We have spent too much on Culpepper to not see what he can do.

Pocoloco
02-06-2007, 11:36 PM
There is a rumor flying around that the Phins are going to trade 1st and 3rd to Washington for their first and Draft Quinn at 6 instead of nine. I think our future is getting brighter all the time!

that would be outstanding if you ask me. If Quinn makes it by Cleveland, I think he makes it to 6. Tampa just resigned Sims and would have a hard time passing up Okoye or Calvin Johnson, and Arizona has Leinart.

jac3477
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
NO BRADY QUINN...

He along with anything that has to do with Notre Dame is ubelievably overrated.

phinphan896
02-06-2007, 11:43 PM
i would definately take him at number nine. i think it would be a steal

aqualuv
Im just not sold on Quinn

Don't worry, you will be!

NJPHIN34
Culpepper is going to be 30. So best case scenario, even if he does come back fully healed he is on the downside of 30. That is the time to draft a QB, before you REALLLLLLLLY need one.

dominizzo
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Don't worry, you will be!

that game vs LSU didn prove nada

miami234ever
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Quinn will not fall past Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa and Houston....

Cleveland will go after Peterson, Tampa has Simms, Detroit has their pick from last year and will probably go with Joe Thomas, and Houston has Carr. It's very possible.

nick1
02-06-2007, 11:46 PM
I can't see why you guys think he is overrated, please explain I just can't see it. Charlie Weis himself says he is going to be great and he would know

Coral Reefer
02-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I love reading the predictions that "There's ZERO chance Quinn will be available at number 9!"

Personally, I don't know enough on him to say I'm completely for or against us taking Quinn.

I do know that people that follow football should have seen enough draft day surprises in the past to not say such silly things as "it's impossible for him to be there".

Cannonboy
02-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Man it would be so sweet if the fins got him at 9. I know he didn't win allot of big games at ND, but alot of that had to do with the horrible defense they had. The guy can flat out throw. I hope he falls to 9.

Regan21286
02-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Where'd this rumor come from? As much as I'd like to see Quinn in aqua and white, a 3rd seems a bit much to give up. But it is still intriguing. Hopefully, Quinn will just fall safely to the #9 so we don't give up anything (unless they want Jeno James).

RoninFin4
02-06-2007, 11:51 PM

True, he didn't prove anything. But you've got to admit that Notre Dame was outmatched across the field at almost every position facing LSU. I cannot stand Notre Dame, but I would love for Brady Quinn to fall into our laps.

Ryan1973
02-06-2007, 11:52 PM

That would be stupid. They need to keep all their draft picks, not give them away. Plus, there is a good chance if Quinn is there at #6, he will be there at #9. So they could draft him and #9 and keep their 3rd round pick. I am really not sold on Quinn, but that trade would be flat out dumb. If anything, they need to trade down and get more picks. Part of the reason the Dolphins are where there at is because they have given away too many draft picks over the last few years. Hopefully Mueller realizes that as well.

LemonPepper
02-06-2007, 11:52 PM
If you like Eli Manning and Rex Grossman, I can see why you would like Quinn. Same player.

Stitches
02-06-2007, 11:53 PM
You're talking about the game where Leinart threw a ballsy, deep pass on 4th down and then went for the sneak to win the game? The one ND should have won?

Yes that's the one. Don't misunderstand what I meant, I'm advocating Quinn. It's largely because of his play that ND was in position to win that game against USC.

Crunkcore
02-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Hopefully he drops down to us at 9.

nick1
02-06-2007, 11:54 PM
If you like Eli Manning and Rex Grossman, I can see why you would like Quinn. Same player.

:rolleyes: explain

FRESHNESS
02-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Keiper is high. Explain to me how none of those teams would be interested in a franchise QB. Quinn will not reach #9. I am not for drafting a QB, but if... then yes. We can NOT NOT pick him up. My question lies within the assumption that only 2 of the 8 teams ahead of us are in need of a QB. Oak, Det, Clv, Az, TB, Hou, Minn, & Wsh. Arizona already spent it's QB ticket on 1st day drafts. That will be enforced for a minn of 3 years. TB QB's are young and think that they are set enough to venture into other much needed areas. Past those two teams...??? Det..unstable, Oak..abysmal, Clv...putting alot of trust into Frye (although a Def selection is much needed here) Hou...gettin' off the Carr (BTW- they can't make the mistake of passing on another Bush-like player. That would be Houst-a-cide with the fans there.) And Minn & Wsh are every bit involved in a QB hunt as we are (if you consider us in a QB hunt at all.) Hey- if Brady falls to us, we have to nab him. But it's not gonna happen. He does have great leadership potential that those afore-mentioned teams would love to have.

bluehaze
02-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Where'd this rumor come from? As much as I'd like to see Quinn in aqua and white, a 3rd seems a bit much to give up. But it is still intriguing. Hopefully, Quinn will just fall safely to the #9 so we don't give up anything (unless they want Jeno James).

Came from a draft board, no source but I am starting to believe it the more I hear. Washington is looking to move down in the draft. Supposedly Detroit is content with Kitna and is interested in Joe Thomas, Cleveland has said they are content with Frye. Tampa resigned Simms. The only others that I see taking Quinn would be Minnesota or Houston so leap frogging them makes sense.

It's going to be an interesting draft day for us that's for sure!

miami234ever
02-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Are you kidding me? He doesn't throw nearly as many picks as either of those guys. He is more comparable to Tom Brady and Carson Palmer than either of those guys. Explain why you think that.

endorPHINS72
02-07-2007, 12:01 AM

So you're basing his entire college performance on one game? Did you base your opinion of Dan Marino on the 1985 Super Bowl vs. the 49ers? Or the playoff drubbing to Jacksonville? Of course not. If we are lucky enough to be able to draft Brady Quinn, he will be one of your favorite players in the next couple of years.

endorPHINS72
02-07-2007, 12:02 AM

This is one of the most biased and uninformed comments I've ever seen here.

endorPHINS72
02-07-2007, 12:05 AM
I love reading the predictions that "There's ZERO chance Quinn will be available at number 9!"

Personally, I don't know enough on him to say I'm completely for or against us taking Quinn.

I do know that people that follow football should have seen enough draft day surprises in the past to not say such silly things as "it's impossible for him to be there".

Remember the "For the last time...WE ARE NOT RUNNING A 3-4 DEFENSE!!!!" threads? :lol:

Regan21286
02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Came from a draft board, no source but I am starting to believe it the more I hear. Washington is looking to move down in the draft. Supposedly Detroit is content with Kitna and is interested in Joe Thomas, Cleveland has said they are content with Frye. Tampa resigned Simms. The only others that I see taking Quinn would be Minnesota or Houston so leap frogging them makes sense.

It's going to be an interesting draft day for us that's for sure!

Houston maybe if they feel like Carr isn't the answer, which I hope they don't. Minnesota I'd think would want to stick with Trevaris Jackson since they've burned a 2nd rounder on him already.

Oh it always is. Unless it's the 2003 draft and we just selected Eddie Moore and Wade Smith with our first two picks.

bluehaze
02-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Houston maybe if they feel like Carr isn't the answer, which I hope they don't. Minnesota I'd think would want to stick with Trevaris Jackson since they've burned a 2nd rounder on him already.

Jackson was pretty bad even for a rookie last year and Houston benched Carr at some points for Sage so I think both would probably take Quinn if he's there but who knows...It's kind of like picking lotto numbers :lol:

That is why I think the rumor might have some credibility though because perhaps the Phins don't wan't to take a chance at letting Houston or Minny grab him.

Plus there is always the chance with the Skins looking to trade down that if the Phins don't trade up with them someone else will and nab Quinn.

Stitches
02-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Keiper is high. Explain to me how none of those teams would be interested in a franchise QB. Quinn will not reach #9. I am not for drafting a QB, but if... then yes. We can NOT NOT pick him up. My question lies within the assumption that only 2 of the 8 teams ahead of us are in need of a QB. Oak, Det, Clv, Az, TB, Hou, Minn, & Wsh. Arizona already spent it's QB ticket on 1st day drafts. That will be enforced for a minn of 3 years. TB QB's are young and think that they are set enough to venture into other much needed areas. Past those two teams...??? Det..unstable, Oak..abysmal, Clv...putting alot of trust into Frye (although a Def selection is much needed here) Hou...gettin' off the Carr (BTW- they can't make the mistake of passing on another Bush-like player. That would be Houst-a-cide with the fans there.) And Minn & Wsh are every bit involved in a QB hunt as we are (if you consider us in a QB hunt at all.) Hey- if Brady falls to us, we have to nab him. But it's not gonna happen. He does have great leadership potential that those afore-mentioned teams would love to have.

The Redskins have Jason Campbell who was drafted just 2 years ago in the first round, and last year the Vikes drafted Travaris Jackson in the 2nd round. Neither would give up on those players so quickly. There is a very good chance Quinn falls to us if he makes it past Cleveland.

FinFanGirl
02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
all i can say is thank god mel kiper is never friggen right...i am not sold on quinn, undersized, product of the system. I want STANTON and we dont have to sell the farm to get him

bluehaze
02-07-2007, 12:21 AM
all i can say is thank god mel kiper is never friggen right...i am not sold on quinn, undersized, product of the system. I want STANTON and we dont have to sell the farm to get him

:confused: Quinn is taller than Stanton and weighs the same, his system is closest thing to the NFL you'll get in college so that's another plus not a negative.

FRESHNESS
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
The Redskins have Jason Campbell who was drafted just 2 years ago in the first round, and last year the Vikes drafted Travaris Jackson in the 2nd round. Neither would give up on those players so quickly. There is a very good chance Quinn falls to us if he makes it past Cleveland.
I beg to differ. With the maturity that Quinn shows, he's hard to overlook. The QB situations in those cities are even more dire than ours.

arydolphin
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
There's no reason to make a trade with Washington because in all likelihood, Washington wouldn't even consider drafting Quinn because they just spent a 1st round pick on Jason Campbell. They started Campbell at the end of the year, he's their QB of the future. Plus, the Skins don't have a pick after the first round until the fifth round, they can't afford to use their first round pick on a guy that would be on the bench. The lack of Day 1 picks is why the Skins are trying to trade down.

Look objectively at the QB situations for each of the teams above Miami in the draft:
1) Oakland - probably will take Russell or Quinn, current starter is either Aaron Brooks or Andrew Walter
2) Detroit - Kitna threw a bunch of picks but also had over 4000 yards this year, he is getting up there in age. A QB could get taken to sit for a year or two, but they have a lot of other holes on that team.
3) Cleveland - Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson started games for the Browns this year. The Browns seem to like Frye a good deal, but I think they would look hard at Quinn for his potential, and for 2 other reasons. First, he's an Ohio guy, and second, Crennel is the coach there and you know that he'll get all of the info on Quinn from Weis since both of those coaches know each other from their Patriots days.
4) Tampa Bay - Chris Simms just signed a 2 year extension, but Gruden could get excited about a QB if Quinn or Russell is still there.
5) Arizona - Leinart got taken in the 1st round last year, almost no chance they take another QB.
6) Washington - see above
7) Minnesota - spent a second round pick last year on Tarvaris Jackson, and will probably go into next year with him as the starter since he ended the season as the starter. Little chance they'll take a QB again.
8) Houston - David Carr is still the starter for now, rumors are flying that he may be let go, but rumors are also out there that Gary Kubiak will get reunited with Jake Plummer in Houston. We should know a lot more after the free agency period.

So out of the 8 teams that pick ahead of the Dolphins, I think that the top 3 teams are the teams with the highest likelihood of picking a QB. However, it's easy to see Detroit and Cleveland going in directions other than drafting a QB, so if you look at it, Quinn could be there as #9. If he's there and the Dolphins don't want him, they should look at teams in the 10-20 range that may be in search of a QB. The problem with that line of thinking in this: barely any team in the 10-20 range is unsettled at the QB position! Look at it:
10) Atlanta - Vick and Schaub
11) San Francisco - Alex Smith
12) Buffalo - JP Losman played a lot better last year, I think the Bills will stay with him
13) St. Louis - Bulger
14) Carolina - Delhomme is the starter, but they could maybe look at Quinn if he was still there
15) Pittsburgh - Roethlisberger
16) Green Bay - Favre for at least 1 more year, then Aaron Rodgers
17) Jacksonville - Garrard was the starter at the end of the year and may go into next year as the starter with Leftwich traded, both are under contract right now, so no need to draft a QB
18) Cincinnati - Carson Palmer
19) Tennessee - Vince Young
20) New York Giants - Eli Manning

So looking at all of this, I could see a fall for Brady Quinn like what happened to Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago if teams draft more on needs in the first round as opposed to drafting best player available. As far as Quinn, I wouldn't mind the Dolphins taking him to develop for a couple of years behind Daunte. If Weis says that he'll be really good in the NFL, that's good enough for me.

FinFanGirl
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
:confused: Quinn is taller than Stanton and weighs the same, his system is closest thing to the NFL you'll get in college so that's another plus not a negative.

my bad as he is not undersized at 6-4 - i never looked at his height - he always looks so small to me when he plays --

jonanthans
02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Why not just trade the first round pick to Atlanta for Schaub. Personally, I don't think we need to use anything higher than a 4th on a Qb, but if we do, i'd rather have someone who has seen the speed of an NFL defense and has shown he can thrive in it. LSU's speed really shook Quinn, and I'm not sure he can adjust to it. And if we miss with yet another Qb that we spent a high pick on, it could really haunt us for a while to come. Just my opinion...

Regan21286
02-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Jackson was pretty bad even for a rookie last year and Houston benched Carr at some points for Sage so I think both would probably take Quinn if he's there but who knows...It's kind of like picking lotto numbers :lol:

That is why I think the rumor might have some credibility though because perhaps the Phins don't wan't to take a chance at letting Houston or Minny grab him.

Plus there is always the chance with the Skins looking to trade down that if the Phins don't trade up with them someone else will and nab Quinn.

True, but they did burn a recent 2nd rounder so I'd think they'd go for veteran help and try him out again.

Houston's the most likely though. That's the scary thing.

miamifire
02-07-2007, 12:52 AM
There's no reason to make a trade with Washington because in all likelihood, Washington wouldn't even consider drafting Quinn because they just spent a 1st round pick on Jason Campbell. They started Campbell at the end of the year, he's their QB of the future. Plus, the Skins don't have a pick after the first round until the fifth round, they can't afford to use their first round pick on a guy that would be on the bench. The lack of Day 1 picks is why the Skins are trying to trade down.

Look objectively at the QB situations for each of the teams above Miami in the draft:
1) Oakland - probably will take Russell or Quinn, current starter is either Aaron Brooks or Andrew Walter
2) Detroit - Kitna threw a bunch of picks but also had over 4000 yards this year, he is getting up there in age. A QB could get taken to sit for a year or two, but they have a lot of other holes on that team.
3) Cleveland - Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson started games for the Browns this year. The Browns seem to like Frye a good deal, but I think they would look hard at Quinn for his potential, and for 2 other reasons. First, he's an Ohio guy, and second, Crennel is the coach there and you know that he'll get all of the info on Quinn from Weis since both of those coaches know each other from their Patriots days.
4) Tampa Bay - Chris Simms just signed a 2 year extension, but Gruden could get excited about a QB if Quinn or Russell is still there.
5) Arizona - Leinart got taken in the 1st round last year, almost no chance they take another QB.
6) Washington - see above
7) Minnesota - spent a second round pick last year on Tarvaris Jackson, and will probably go into next year with him as the starter since he ended the season as the starter. Little chance they'll take a QB again.
8) Houston - David Carr is still the starter for now, rumors are flying that he may be let go, but rumors are also out there that Gary Kubiak will get reunited with Jake Plummer in Houston. We should know a lot more after the free agency period.

So out of the 8 teams that pick ahead of the Dolphins, I think that the top 3 teams are the teams with the highest likelihood of picking a QB. However, it's easy to see Detroit and Cleveland going in directions other than drafting a QB, so if you look at it, Quinn could be there as #9. If he's there and the Dolphins don't want him, they should look at teams in the 10-20 range that may be in search of a QB. The problem with that line of thinking in this: barely any team in the 10-20 range is unsettled at the QB position! Look at it:
10) Atlanta - Vick and Schaub
11) San Francisco - Alex Smith
12) Buffalo - JP Losman played a lot better last year, I think the Bills will stay with him
13) St. Louis - Bulger
14) Carolina - Delhomme is the starter, but they could maybe look at Quinn if he was still there
15) Pittsburgh - Roethlisberger
16) Green Bay - Favre for at least 1 more year, then Aaron Rodgers
17) Jacksonville - Garrard was the starter at the end of the year and may go into next year as the starter with Leftwich traded, both are under contract right now, so no need to draft a QB
18) Cincinnati - Carson Palmer
19) Tennessee - Vince Young
20) New York Giants - Eli Manning

So looking at all of this, I could see a fall for Brady Quinn like what happened to Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago if teams draft more on needs in the first round as opposed to drafting best player available. As far as Quinn, I wouldn't mind the Dolphins taking him to develop for a couple of years behind Daunte. If Weis says that he'll be really good in the NFL, that's good enough for me.
Great post, very logical. I hope we get Quinn, he ran a pro style offense and Cam is the man to coach him up. Culpepper may or may not heal. Who knows? Draft Quinn if possible by all means.

WestCKoastiN
02-07-2007, 01:24 AM
intresting how alot of people say we will take quinn

matty3054
02-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Here's an article that discusses the idea of Brady Quinn falling to #9, as well as some other Fin talk. Check it out here. (http://www.thephinsider.com)

So what do you guys think about this? Would you all want Miami to draft Quinn if he was available at #9? Do you think Miami SHOULD trade up to get him incase he isn't there at 9??

aleta
02-07-2007, 01:50 AM

You have just sold me this dude! I always though ,he was over rate, because his is an irish (ND), by the way, i hate ND. That colege is always over rated. But i will tag along and will not get mad if this as*** is drated be the Phins!!

DonShula84
02-07-2007, 01:59 AM

Refreshing post. So much ignorance this post is like a beacon of light.

umpalu
02-07-2007, 03:15 AM
IF HE FALLS TO US WE TRADE DOWN. (deal with the caps lol) His potential vs what we can get for him in that pick says trade down.

zonk4ever
02-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Although trading down has not happened very much recently, the Quinn @ 9 scenario is probably the best trade down scenarios. When teams get quarterback crazy they're willing to deal. (assuming we don't take him if he's there)

nick1
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM

Houston will pick-up Plummer, they will have Carr and Plummer, they won't go after Quinn. Minnesota will trade for Schuab they have already expressed interest in doing so, and I think they should give Jackson another shot. Quinn will fall to us if he falls by Cleveland

Motion
02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I beg to differ. With the maturity that Quinn shows, he's hard to overlook. The QB situations in those cities are even more dire than ours.

It most certainly is not, especially in Washington. Campbell WILL be the starter there, they will not take a QB.

Minnesota is expected to be heavy contenders for Jeff Garcia untill Jackson is ready to start.

FINdestructible
02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I saw that this morning on Sportscenter. I would be more than happy if we drafted Quinn. :D

finfansince72
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Im for passing on Quinn and giving Culpepper the reigns. I dont think Quinn will be as good as Culpepper was in Minnesota. If Culpepper cant get healthy then go for it but if hes healthy Quinn wont see the field for years and this is a wasted pick. Im not sure why but I just dont think Quinn is going to be great, I dont think hes as talented as Dante either. Im not sure why everyone is so ready to throw Dante overboard, when he was healthy he was a MVP canidate. His last full healthy season was better than Quinn will ever do.
2004 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2004.htm) min (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min2004.htm) | 16 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/games/CulpDa00.htm#2004) | 379 548 69.2 4717 8.6 39 11

Seriously, this was a ALLTIME great season. Almost 70% comp thats absurd. If Manning hadnt broke records that year Dante was easily the MVP. We are going to dump him for a rookie? We arent Brady Quinn from a title.

Spicy Henne
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Im for passing on Quinn and giving Culpepper the reigns. I dont think Quinn will be as good as Culpepper was in Minnesota. If Culpepper cant get healthy then go for it but if hes healthy Quinn wont see the field for years and this is a wasted pick. Im not sure why but I just dont think Quinn is going to be great, I dont think hes as talented as Dante either. Im not sure why everyone is so ready to throw Dante overboard, when he was healthy he was a MVP canidate. His last full healthy season was better than Quinn will ever do.
2004 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2004.htm) min (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min2004.htm) | 16 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/games/CulpDa00.htm#2004) | 379 548 69.2 4717 8.6 39 11

Seriously, this was a ALLTIME great season. Almost 70% comp thats absurd. If Manning hadnt broke records that year Dante was easily the MVP. We are going to dump him for a rookie? We arent Brady Quinn from a title.

I don't think we're a Daunte Culpepper away from the Super Bowl either, so draft Quinn if he's there, and rebuild the right way for once

The Confessor
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
As much as I would LOVE to see Quinn drop to 9, I dont think there is top-tier talent for him to drop that far. I think a team that already has a quality starter, but no appearent Heir will go after him.

I will be smiling large if he does fall to us though

finfansince72
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't think we're a Daunte Culpepper away from the Super Bowl either, so draft Quinn if he's there, and rebuild the right way for once

Rebuild? Cmon, thats like a 3 year ordeal waiting for Quinn to mature. Daunte healthy is better than Quinn will ever be and I disagree about not being a healthy Dante from a title shot. If Dante is in his 2004 form we have a very legit shot a title, if Quinn is healthy and starting we are picking top 10. You play to win titles, not develop kids that might never be as good as what you have. People are in love with Quinn, he will never be as good as a healthy Daunte. People have soured on a player while he is hurt, forgetting that daunte was one of the top Qbs in the league without question. We invested a 2nd rounder in him, giving him half a year and drafting his replacement with a top 10 pick is what bad teams do. If we draft Quinn we are joining the Cards and the other dregs of teams that have no clue.
Regardless, he will be gone I hope before we draft.

Burrowingowl
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
if he does we'd better take him. Even as a rookie he'd be better than anyone we have now. He's even a better fit for Miami than Russell because of the offense he ran in college and hed need less time to get adjusted. If Culpepper's healthy he could start the year until Quinn's ready to take over. Much like Vince Young with the Titans last year, it wouldnt take long for the Dolphins to start Quinn with all his talent.

finfansince72
02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
if he does we'd better take him. Even as a rookie he'd be better than anyone we have now. He's even a better fit for Miami than Russell because of the offense he ran in college and hed need less time to get adjusted. If Culpepper's healthy he could start the year until Quinn's ready to take over. Much like Vince Young with the Titans last year, it wouldnt take long for the Dolphins to start Quinn with all his talent.

Cmon on I know people have a mad man crush on Quinn but this assertion is a little out there. A healthy Culpepper is better than Quinn as a rookie and I think better than he will ever be. Dismissing Daunte has become a fad on these boards, I hope Cam has more sense than to dump a guy that is a MVP caliber player when healthy for a maybe Qb in the draft.

Spicy Henne
02-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Rebuild? Cmon, thats like a 3 year ordeal waiting for Quinn to mature. Daunte healthy is better than Quinn will ever be and I disagree about not being a healthy Dante from a title shot. If Dante is in his 2004 form we have a very legit shot a title, if Quinn is healthy and starting we are picking top 10. You play to win titles, not develop kids that might never be as good as what you have. People are in love with Quinn, he will never be as good as a healthy Daunte. People have soured on a player while he is hurt, forgetting that daunte was one of the top Qbs in the league without question. We invested a 2nd rounder in him, giving him half a year and drafting his replacement with a top 10 pick is what bad teams do. If we draft Quinn we are joining the Cards and the other dregs of teams that have no clue.
Regardless, he will be gone I hope before we draft.

Daunte played hurt this season, and it wasn't a fair representation of what he can do when healthy. That being said, his decison making was horrible, and it's the mental side of his game that scares me at this point. If he comes back 100% and plays well, then I'll be thrilled...but I'm not entirely sure that will ever happen, and Brady Quinn in my mind is an ideal Qb to build a young offense around.

Also I think you overstate the talent on this team's roster./ i would have no problem taking a step back next year to develop an elite young QB. Consider it an investment in not sucking for the next 10 years

Regan21286
02-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Daunte played hurt this season, and it wasn't a fair representation of what he can do when healthy. That being said, his decison making was horrible, and it's the mental side of his game that scares me at this point. If he comes back 100% and plays well, then I'll be thrilled...but I'm not entirely sure that will ever happen, and Brady Quinn in my mind is an ideal Qb to build a young offense around.

Also I think you overstate the talent on this team's roster./ i would have no problem taking a step back next year to develop an elite young QB. Consider it an investment in not sucking for the next 10 years

It may not have been a fair representation of what he can do when healthy, but it does give a fair representation of what Daunte would be if we tried turning him into a pocket QB or defenses try to counter his mobility. The fact that Daunte's already 30, plus his questionmarks on whether he can still play decently means we should try to provide some insurance for the future and that's drafting a guy like Brady Quinn if he falls.

FINdestructible
02-07-2007, 06:00 PM

I'm not throwing Daunte overboard, on the contrary, i hope he gets healthy & has a great year. The reality is that he is getting old & is not going to be here for more than four, maybe five years. Why would we not draft a QB who would be ready to take over once Daunte leaves? Or better yet, isn't healthy enough to play next season? I don't feel like going through the whole let's find a QB ordeal again, neither next year or in 4 years, do you?

Also, isn't it a little premature to already say that Brady Quinn will never be good in the NFL?

finfansince72
02-08-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm not throwing Daunte overboard, on the contrary, i hope he gets healthy & has a great year. The reality is that he is getting old & is not going to be here for more than four, maybe five years. Why would we not draft a QB who would be ready to take over once Daunte leaves? Or better yet, isn't healthy enough to play next season? I don't feel like going through the whole let's find a QB ordeal again, neither next year or in 4 years, do you?

Also, isn't it a little premature to already say that Brady Quinn will never be good in the NFL?

I dont know whether or not Brady is going to be good but I dont think he will ever have a year like Daunte's best year. Daunte is in his prime, he has a good 5-6 years left, Qbs arent used up by 33. I think if we draft a Qb at 9 we have to start him this year or next, hes going to be making big money, more than Daunte. Im all for a Qb in rounds 2-7, Id love for us to get a guy to develop. But Quinn early? Daunte will justfiably want to leave if we do that. I see drafting Quinn as giving up on next year and rebuilding, if thats the case so be it but I dont see this team being so devoid of talent that we need to start over.