PDA

View Full Version : Why is Everyone So high on Levi brown!!

dominizzo
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
i mean hes good and all but whenever miami Drafts a Linemen hes a bust!!

Billy Milner
Wade Smith
Seth mckinney
Shawn Draper
Brandon Winey
Todd wade
Brent Smith
Andrew greene
Taylor whitley

Then theres decent ones like

Tim Ruddy
Chris gray
Vernon carey

great ones

Rich Webb
Keith Sims

i say get O-Line in The Free agency!! There is Quality in steinbach And Dielman with proven play and To add on to our Secondary!!

with carey Shelton and hadnot Etc!!

id just like BPA!! i do not think Levi Brown fits that toll

ncdolfan
02-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I don't think you can ignore the position just b/c of prior draft history. Left offensive tackle is one of the more important positions on the team - Steinbach nor Dielman play LT. The Dolphins need a definite upgrade at that position.

Based on early analysis, it appears Brown is one of the top 15 players in this draft. I wouldn't mind if the Dolphins grabbed him, even if they have to reach a little. Mueller drafted Walter Jones a while back, so he knows what to look for in a LT. We'll see if Brown fits that bill in his mind.

Not that it means anything, but the Dolphins grabbed Richmond Webb at pick #9 in 1990.

dominizzo
02-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't think you can ignore the position just b/c of prior draft history. Left offensive tackle is one of the more important positions on the team - Steinbach nor Dielman play LT. The Dolphins need a definite upgrade at that position.

Based on early analysis, it appears Brown is one of the top 15 players in this draft. I wouldn't mind if the Dolphins grabbed him, even if they have to reach a little. Mueller drafted Walter Jones a while back, so he knows what to look for in a LT. We'll see if Brown fits that bill in his mind.

Not that it means anything, but the Dolphins grabbed Richmond Webb at pick #9 in 1990.

I miss Webb!! i dont think Levi is great!! Joe Thomas is the sure deal!!

Austin Tatious
02-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Levi compares favorably to Tarek Glenn who was drafted in the teens by the horseshoes and has made multiple pro bowls.

WelcomeBack
02-07-2007, 01:09 AM
So, are you saying we shouldn't draft LB or CB either because of Jamar Fletcher and Eddie Moore?

Seriously, the past has nothing to do with the present time. Just because some players bust, doesn't mean everyone at that position (that we draft), will be a bust.

Alex44
02-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Why do I like him?

1) He is a very firey leader.

2) He has the potential to anchor our line for many years

3) We need help at LT

Jaj
02-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Alex if you just take out Kevin Kolb from that lineup and insert a NT that's a pretty sensible draft my friend.

If that doesn't solidify the offensive line I don't know what will.

Spend on that offensive linemen damn it, spend!

LT- Brown, Alabi
LG- Fonoti, Toledo
C- Kalil, Hadnot
RG- Shelton, Stevenson
RT- Carey

Done, boom over...

It's all over Miami has an offensive line to protect Daunte Culpepper and pave the way for it's running game. I don't care what the team has at WR by the way with that scenario.

Sign a cheap free agent, who CARES???

When you have a solid offensive line you can get away with Hagan and Chambers at WR.

Fresh
02-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Vernon Carey is a lot better than decent and he's only 25-years old.

Geforce
02-07-2007, 02:24 AM
i mean hes good and all but whenever miami Drafts a Linemen hes a bust!!

Billy Milner
Wade Smith
Seth mckinney
Shawn Draper
Brandon Winey
Todd wade
Brent Smith
Andrew greene
Taylor whitley

Then theres decent ones like

Tim Ruddy
Chris gray
Vernon carey

great ones

Rich Webb
Keith Sims

i say get O-Line in The Free agency!! There is Quality in steinbach And Dielman with proven play and To add on to our Secondary!!

with carey Shelton and hadnot Etc!!

id just like BPA!! i do not think Levi Brown fits that toll

Free Agency hasn't worked out too well for us either and we would probably have to outbid other teams with a lot more cap space for the services of Steinbach and/or Dielman.

TexanPhinatic
02-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Im not sold on Brown at all. All that I hear is that hes a solid run blocker, not very solid pass blocker, and not worth a top 10 pick, maybe not a top 15-20 pick. If there were some other blue chippers he wouldnt even be mentioned right now.
Unfortunately, the only seemingly cant miss top notch blue chip guy is Joe Thomas who will go top 5 without question, and almost certainly top 2-3.
It seems the Brown pick is a forced one imo-basically people think we need a LT so badly so we must pick Brown to fill it.

I think it depends on if we try and resign DMac or sign a FA, but overall I just dont see Levi as being that much of an upgrade at LT to justify that top10 pick. Just my opinion though, but certainly seems to be shared by a few others at least.

umpalu
02-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Im not sold on Brown at all. All that I hear is that hes a solid run blocker, not very solid pass blocker, and not worth a top 10 pick, maybe not a top 15-20 pick. If there were some other blue chippers he wouldnt even be mentioned right now.
Unfortunately, the only seemingly cant miss top notch blue chip guy is Joe Thomas who will go top 5 without question, and almost certainly top 2-3.
It seems the Brown pick is a forced one imo-basically people think we need a LT so badly so we must pick Brown to fill it.

I think it depends on if we try and resign DMac or sign a FA, but overall I just dont see Levi as being that much of an upgrade at LT to justify that top10 pick. Just my opinion though, but certainly seems to be shared by a few others at least.

I am not a fan of drafting Brown as high as we are. Just because it is a need position a lot of people want him. This year I think we are just going to have to suck it up and handle it as best we can at that position for another year. In our current position and what is out there through the draft and free agency there is nothing this year. Yes it is a very very very important postion, but if it isn't there it isn't there.

Motion
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
You'll be all for him next week.

ChambersWI
02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
just I thought, I would not call Todd Wde a bust for us. He was a decent RT that was full of himself, got overpaid by Houston, thn fell flat on his face.

Smith and Wheatley were both considered huge reaches and projects, and the other OL you mentioned (minus Milner and McKinney) were late 2nd day picks.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of drafting Brown, but I'm not totaly convinced yet. He'll more than likely be a top 10 pick by the draft anyways because of needs for tackles (Houston,Arizona, Minny needs a RT, Atlanta after us)

zonk4ever
02-07-2007, 09:38 AM
All that I hear is that hes a solid run blocker, not very solid pass blocker

So you're not sold on Brown because of your "hearing"? :confused:

ChambersWI
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
All that I hear is that hes a solid run blocker, not very solid pass blocker

So you're not sold on Brown because of your "hearing"? :confused:

Levi has seen his stock raise because only one guy gave him any troubl at the Senior Bowl; Anthony Spencer, who is a pure speed rusher.

TampaFinsFan01
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
So, are you saying we shouldn't draft LB or CB either because of Jamar Fletcher and Eddie Moore?

Seriously, the past has nothing to do with the present time. Just because some players bust, doesn't mean everyone at that position (that we draft), will be a bust.

Exactly. The past has nothing to do with Levi Brown.

I do think #9 is way too high to pick Brown..But if we could trade down ten spots and pick up an additional third and fourth rounder and still get Levi, I would be in favor of taking him.

Stitches
02-07-2007, 10:13 AM
All Brown needs to do to solidify a top ten pick is to do no worse than expected in the combine drills, and to convince coaches/GMs that he can be the guy on every down. He's an amazing run blocker, and isn't anywhere near as bad as some of you people make him out to be at pass blocking. He just needs to go out and perform every play at the level he is capable of.

Stitches
02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Exactly. The past has nothing to do with Levi Brown.

I do think #9 is way too high to pick Brown..But if we could trade down ten spots and pick up an additional third and fourth rounder and still get Levi, I would be in favor of taking him.

Unless he flounders at the combine, there is no way he'd be there at 19. Not to mention who the hell would want to trade up 10 picks, considering what you'd have to give up to crack the top 10? Then again, all you want for trading down ten spots is a 3rd and 4th rounder.

paulomac77
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
im sure i wasnt the only one praying that jake long and/or sam baker would come out in the draft this year, then we woulnd't have to have this debate

finfan54
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Levi compares favorably to Tarek Glenn who was drafted in the teens by the horseshoes and has made multiple pro bowls.

I would agree with this. Levi has only played the position for a couple of years. He was a defenseman before. That means the dude has shown unbelieveable upside and that is what you are betting on since he dominates most of the time.

He passes the eyeball test. That does it for me. We need a LT more than any other postion on offense (QB is arguable because of Daunte).

finfan54
02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
im sure i wasnt the only one praying that jake long and/or sam baker would come out in the draft this year, then we woulnd't have to have this debate

Levi Brown is better than Sam Baker. Baker showed some bad stuff against UCLA. Status dropped. Probly why he is staying in for another year.

Geforce
02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I would agree with this. Levi has only played the position for a couple of years. He was a defenseman before. That means the dude has shown unbelieveable upside and that is what you are betting on since he dominates most of the time.

He passes the eyeball test. That does it for me. We need a LT more than any other postion on offense (QB is arguable because of Daunte).

Where did you hear that he's only been playing LT for a couple of years? He's been a 4 year starter at LT for Penn State.

This is what NFL Draft Scout said about him during Senior Bowl week.

...Brown was good in pass blocking drills, consistently able to beat speed rushers to the outside and punish those that tried to bull rush him. He was even better in run blocking drills, where he decimated most and beat nearly all.

finfan54
02-07-2007, 02:10 PM

He is a dominant run blocker and less a pass blocker could be an arguement IMO, but that does not mean he is a poor pass blocker. The word solid is not a word I would use to describe his run blocking abilities. Mr. Pancake is. He can shut off the backside and crunch the interior with force and enable a pulling gaurd to lead Ronnie Brown to a TD.

Motion
02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
NFL Draft Scout has Levi as the #8 overall prospect.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2007

Stitches
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
NFL Draft Scout has Levi as the #8 overall prospect.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2007

Brown/Landry/Nelson at #9!

Motion
02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Brown/Landry/Nelson at #9!

:yes:

finfan54
02-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Where did you hear that he's only been playing LT for a couple of years? He's been a 4 year starter at LT for Penn State.

This is what NFL Draft Scout said about him during Senior Bowl week.

Draftscout also said he was redshirted freshman in 02' as a DT. I know I have read that he played DT his first year and started playing football in the 9th grade.

Stitches
02-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Motion, notice how far down Hall is, and how many recievers are rated above Ginn? I'm glad they are somewhat accurate with those ratings.

Motion
02-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Motion, notice how far down Hall is, and how many recievers are rated above Ginn? I'm glad they are somewhat accurate with those ratings.

:yes: Great minds think alike. That site is on the money. :D

zonk4ever
02-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Enuff with all this; I wouldn't take him @ 9 but I'd take him @ 17 and pick up more draft picks nonsense. It's way too hypothetical to envision teams with picks 10 -20 lining up to trade up with us for the 9th pick and giving up draft choices. If he can come in and start right away at a position of critical need then he's the guy. When you bid on a stud OFFENSIVE LINEMAN in free agency you pay thru the teeth! Even Wanny made a few runs at OL guys during free agency and we always got outbid. I don't think we're in any better shape capwise now. Have you analyzed the draft? There are only 2 blue chip prospects @ left tackle... that's it! If you can get one of the 2 you do it. At this point unless Brown shows to be really slow or weak at the combine, you take him. Other positions have more depth and chances for success in the later rounds.

Motion
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Enuff with all this; I wouldn't take him @ 9 but I'd take him @ 17 and pick up more draft picks nonsense. It's way too hypothetical to envision teams with picks 10 -20 lining up to trade up with us for the 9th pick and giving up draft choices. If he can come in and start right away at a position of critical need then he's the guy. When you bid on a stud OFFENSIVE LINEMAN in free agency you pay thru the teeth! Even Wanny made a few runs at OL guys during free agency and we always got outbid. I don't think we're in any better shape capwise now. Have you analyzed the draft? There are only 2 blue chip prospects @ left tackle... that's it! If you can get one of the 2 you do it. At this point unless Brown shows to be really slow or weak at the combine, you take him. Other positions have more depth and chances for success in the later rounds.
:yeahthat:

Stitches
02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm confused. You wouldn't take him at 9 yet you think you should draft him? Highly doubtful he lasts til 17 at this point.

He meant that he is sick of hearing people say 'I wouldn't take him at 9, but I'd take him at 17.' This guy is all for Brown at #9, as am I.

Motion
02-07-2007, 02:40 PM
He meant that he is sick of hearing people say 'I wouldn't take him at 9, but I'd take him at 17.' This guy is all for Brown at #9, as am I.

Gotcha :wink:

ChambersWI
02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
to clarify, Levi Brown went to Penn State as a defensive tackle ad redshirted. The staff wanted to make him into a LT bcause of his size, but he didn't want to change so he was contemplating transferring. His dad told him to give it a try, he's been a 4 year starter, a 2nd tea All-American as a junior, and only strugged this year because of 4 new starters on the O-Line and a new QB.

So Levi is still pretty raw since he never played OT before going to Penn State

miamiron
02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
For the people who are against Levi...How many of you didn't even see the practices all week?How many missed the game?How many are making statements just going by what there reading on various draft sites?

Well I for one watched ALL the practices and workouts as well as the complete game and anyone who did the same had to come away with the conclusion that Levi DOMINATED"pure and simple" yes he did have a couple of plays as previously mentioned where he was beat by a speed rusher...other than that he simply dominated and looked like a man among boys out there...HE WAS THAT GOOD.

How would I feel to see Levi get picked #9....SAFE and content knowing that the left side of the line got the attention that it so dearly needs.

Anyone here seen what the Jets accomplished with 2 first round OLine additions who are only going to get much better with time???