PDA

View Full Version : What was the best concert you ever went to?

Jaydog57
06-14-2003, 03:43 AM
As long as we're talking about favorite bands and players, what was the best concert/show/festival you ever went to? (All types of music welcome) I've seen LOTS of bands, and my favorite used to be AC/DC, but after the Dio/Yngwie Malmsteen/Doro Pesch show I saw last year, I have to change my vote. Dio kicked my a*s and rocked my world, he was AMAZING. He sounded flawless, just like on the albums from years back. After that, I'd have to say AC/DC, they put on a GREAT show, all the classics and lot's of fun stuff.

So, what was the best show you've been to?:cool::rocker:

WharfRat
06-14-2003, 04:23 AM
I'll give 100 points to anyone who can guess what my answer will be!
:rolleyes2 :goof: :D

Jaydog57
06-14-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by WharfRat
I'll give 100 points to anyone who can guess what my answer will be!
:rolleyes2 :goof: :D The Grateful Dead, I know you're a big Garcia fan......:cool:

The_Philster
06-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Bon Jovi and the Goo Goo Dolls...3 months ago at the MCI Center. Two of my favorite bands with one of my best friends. Couldn't get much better.

WharfRat
06-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Jaydog57
The Grateful Dead, I know you're a big Garcia fan......:cool:

:lol:

Well ... considering I saw them more times than I have fingers & toes... I guess you'd say that one of those shows had to be the best :D

inFINSible
06-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Metallica.....in-the-round.....1993....Leon County Civic Center, in Tallahassee, FL......It was an anthology show and it was their last show in the US before they kicked off their European tour......They played for 3 and a half hours and they played EVERYTHING they had ever done it seemed like......I had hoped that they would play more stuff off of Black since it was their most recent album but, they ended up playing mostly songs that I had never heard. That turned out to be not a bad thing.....The energy of the crowd and the band had me mesmerized for the entire show.

honorable mention goes to REO Speedwagon.....I saw them at a free show that a local radio station sponsored.....I wasn't a big fan either but, it was the first time they had -played together in a few years and they were having a blast up there on stage....It was like they were doing it for the first time....I really enjoyed that show!

Kiss has been pretty spectacular each of the 4 times I've seen them....At one show, W.A.S.P. opened for them....that was the best one!

WharfRat
06-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Best non-Dead shows I've seen include:

Black Sabbath - before Ozzy left, no explanation necessary
Boston - Incredible stage show... must be seen to be believed...
Yes - see above, times 2
Judas Priest - High Energy is an understatement
The Firm - Rogers and Page on stage together...
Deep Purple - After Gillian and Blackmore returned - Ritchie was astounding!

The most memorable moment award goes to:
Lynyrd Skynyrd - It was their first "reunion" tour with Donnie singing, I never had the chance to see them before the plane crash, so when they came back (many years later) with Ronnie's little bro on vocals... I had to see them... anyway, after a spectacular show, the came back for one last encore (I think it was the 3rd)... but Donnie never came out, the stage stayed dark as the rest of the band took places, then a single spotlight illuminated the microphone stand... when the band started playing Freebird, the crowd of course went nuts... until donnie strolled out to the stand, hushed the crowd and said "There is only one person who could stand on this stage and sing this song, and he's not with us tonight... so we'll let you guys do the singing for him, OK?" then he hung Ronnies old hat on the mike and walked off, as the rest of the stage stayed dark, and the band played.... I don't think there was a dry eye anywhere in the Spectrum that night as a full house sang the entire song, staring at that hat in the spotlight... I still get goosebumps, and start to tear up thinking about it....

I need to go get a tissue now.....

inFINSible
06-14-2003, 08:13 AM
You actually just gave me goosebumps reading it.....

iceblizzard69
06-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Last year I saw Lenny Kravitz in the rain at Jones Beach which is in Long Island. It was awesome. The only bad part is that Pink opened for him, so I went for cover during that crap. But Lenny was awesome.

Pagan
06-14-2003, 09:34 AM
OKay, there's a few.

1. would have to be - KISS, New Year's Eve 1975 at the Nassau Coliseum. My first concert, and KISS on the "Alive!" tour. Young, hungry, and better live than anyone out there at the time. Awesome show.

2. Judas Priest with Iron Maiden opening at Madison Square Garden. Priest on the "Screaming For Vengeance" tour and Maiden on the "Numbet Of The Beast" tour. Amazing.

3. Rush - UFO - Cheap Trick at the Palladium, 1978. Rush on the "Farewell To Kings" tour.

4. Iron Maiden - Brave New World tour at the Garden 2002. Bruce is back...all is right in the world. :D

5. David Bowie at Madison Square Garden, 1978. Robert Fripp on guitar. Bowie plays for 4 hours with an intermission. Incredibel.

WeVie
06-14-2003, 11:12 AM
I have been to Ozzfest twice ant they rank one and two for me

The first time I saw Godsmack, Static X, Slayer, and of course Ozzy.
There were more there but that is all I remember.

The second time was ten times better for me. I saw Mudvanye, Drowning Pool, The Black Label Socitey, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Slinpknot, Marliyn Manson, and Ozzy with Black Sabbth. We also bought pit passes that year so I was front row center so to speak. We could reach out and touch them all.

We also came home with drumsticks from Linkin Park and the Black Label Socitey, a pick from Papa Roach and the greatest prize at the show, Ozzy's harmonica. That was a night I will never forget

Dajesus
06-14-2003, 12:35 PM
For me it was deffinitly Lallapaloza '94 or '93. Tribe Called Quest played then George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars, and then the Beasties came on. After that was the Smashing Pumpkins, but I barely can stand them so it was those 3 bands that made the show for me.

bigbry
06-14-2003, 02:00 PM
I cant remember...but it was great!

BB

Muck
06-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey inFins, I saw that Metallica tour too. Went to the show at the Lee Civic Center in Fort Myers. I was like 13. Alice in Chains was supposed to be there too. Sat outside in line for 4 hours so we could be near the stage. And we were!! Then Metallica was 1.5 hours late. I was so little I got crushed (was like 4'10" and 80 lbs then). Place was way over capacity. They pulled me out (first crowd surfing experience :) ) and I had to go to the stands before the band even came on. They played for 4 hours. All in all, it was grueling for a little kid. But they were great.

Favorite show?? Who knows.

Armored Saint
06-14-2003, 04:39 PM
1) KISS -- Dynasty Tour 1979 in Shreveport, LA. It was my first rock concert.

2) Van Halen -- 1980 Invasion Tour in Shreveport. VH at that time could blow away any band today.

3) Deep Purple -- Perfect Strangers Tour. They headlined the 1985 Texas Jam at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

4) Metallica -- 1989 Damaged Justice Tour in Shreveport. Quite simply the loudest concert I'd ever attended.

5) Jane's Addiction -- 1991 Lollapalooza in Dallas. They're an awesome live act.

6) Steely Dan -- 2000 Two Against Nature Tour in Dallas. It was their last show on the US tour before they left for Europe. Extremely tight.

7) U2 -- 2001 Elevation Tour in Dallas (twice). Seeing them was almost like a religious experience.

8) Joe Satriani/Dream Theater/King's X -- I saw them last August in Grand Prairie, TX, outside Dallas. All three were awesome.

9) Rush -- 2002 Vapor Trails Tour in Dallas. This concert was three days after the JS/DT/KX show. It was three hours of Rush. No opening act. Just the way I like it.

10) Scorpions/Whitesnake/Dokken -- I saw them in February this year in Grand Prairie, TX. All three bands rocked, especially the Scorps.

Later this month, I'm going to catch Queensryche/Dream Theater/Fates Warning. I'll let you know how that one turns out. ;-)

Muck
06-14-2003, 05:23 PM
I saw Jane's Addiction when they got back together in '98. Phenomenal.

gunsnroses
06-14-2003, 08:33 PM
KISS - April 8, 1997. KISS is my favorite band and they are unbelievable in concert

!PapaCrunk81!
06-14-2003, 09:09 PM
ARMORED SAINT----
I got a chance to see U2 twice, both were PopMart shows. Say what you will about Pop (I enjoy it actually,) but no matter what U2 puts on a show at 200%. A buddy of mine and his brother went to an Elevation show (went to the Pop shows w/ them) and they were inside the heart and my buddy shook hands w/ Adam Clayton. He thought the show was just awesome(can't find my thesaurus.) He said the Fly was so loud it was............um awesome! There may be some U2 haters out there, but how many bands out there can stay relevant/current/active/successful whatever for almost 20 years+ straight, with all original members as well????

Jaydog57
06-14-2003, 11:44 PM
One band I never got to see live but always wanted to was Pink Floyd. I've heard they used to put on an amazing show.:cool: