PDA

View Full Version : Help me get over my fear

Alex44
02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Im scared of roaches....they freak me out and I'm sick of it, so what should I do to get over it? I read about them on Wiki but honestly that just freaked me out more seeing all the pictures and stuff..

byroan
02-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Get some raid.

Or just avoid them all together. I'd like to think you don't come across roaches often. :chuckle:

Rafiki
02-08-2007, 12:25 AM
I saw once, on Fear Factor, where they were eating Hissing Madagascar Cockroaches. If you did that, you would fear no roach!

HysterikiLL
02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Seriously man, that's what I do. If ever I fear anything, I eat it. Spiders, Mice, Roaches, people from Connecticut..

Ray Finkle
02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Next time you see one, step on it. The end.

Seriously though the only way to overcome your fear is to face it. So the next time you see one, don't run away just stand there and watch it. After awhile you'll see that they're no big deal and you'll get used to it. Then you can step on it.

Alex44
Get some raid.

Or just avoid them all together. I'd like to think you don't come across roaches often. :chuckle:

Yeah the ones we have arent roaches really, they are Palmetto Bugs. Almost the same except Palmetto Bugs fly....so they are worse. They dont only like in nasty dirty places they live all over. One ran across the floor and under the tv earlier

Ray Finkle
Seriously man, that's what I do. If ever I fear anything, I eat it. Spiders, Mice, Roaches, people from Connecticut..

:fire: :tantrum:

Rafiki

Exactly. You gotta establish the food chain and the natural world will fall in line.

dolphan117
02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3APJA0EedSE
This Vid will cure you. :dphan:

Alex44
02-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Next time you see one, step on it. The end.

Seriously though the only way to overcome your fear is to face it. So the next time you see one, don't run away just stand there and watch it. After awhile you'll see that they're no big deal and you'll get used to it. Then you can step on it.

I usually back away and throw my cat at them :lol:

Sethdaddy8
02-08-2007, 12:35 AM
clean your room more, so theres less cookarachas

Mindwarp
02-08-2007, 12:37 AM
dude you are male, somewhere deep inside you is a caveman trying to get out.

your palmetto bug is what 5 inches max? dude you could kill it with your index finger.. I know I done it before.

NaboCane
02-08-2007, 12:40 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NaboCane
02-08-2007, 12:40 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NaboCane
02-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Thing about palmetto bugs is that they're aggressive as hell...they'll come right at you, fly right into you.

I had a friend when I lived down there that went to the hospital one morning because he had a headache so bad he wanted to die. Turns out a palmetto bug had crawled in his ear while he slept...another thing about them is they can't walk backwards, so once it was in the ear canal, it just kept burrowing deeper.

The doctors killed the monster with alcohol and pulled it out...all 3 inches of it.

What I hate is the way they feel when they get on you...the tickly way those little hairy barbs on their legs feel on your skin.

Just always make sure there isn't one in the house when you go to sleep, they're attracted to your sleep-breath. That's why they "visit."

King Nate
02-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Thing about palmetto bugs is that they're aggressive as hell...they'll come right at you, fly right into you.

I had a friend when I lived down there that went to the hospital one morning because he had a headache so bad he wanted to die. Turns out a palmetto bug had crawled in his ear while he slept...another thing about them is they can't walk backwards, so once it was in the ear canal, it just kept burrowing deeper.

The doctors killed the monster with alcohol and pulled it out...all 3 inches of it.

What I hate is the way they feel when they get on you...the tickly way those little hairy barbs on their legs feel on your skin.

Just always make sure there isn't one in the house when you go to sleep, they're attracted to your sleep-breath. That's why they "visit."

Wow, Nabo. Are you a psychiatrist? Because if that didn't cure his fear, I don't know what will!

HysterikiLL
02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Wow, Nabo. Are you a psychiatrist? Because if that didn't cure his fear, I don't know what will!

:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Alex44
02-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I put on my shoes, so if it runs out again Im gonna fly through the air Jackie Chan style and crush it.

PrepDogg
02-08-2007, 01:17 AM

:( Thanks Nabo, now I'm afraid of them too.

NaboCane
02-08-2007, 01:22 AM
:( Thanks Nabo, now I'm afraid of them too.Dead serious - one of my first conscious memories is of being in my bed in Cuba, and a roach crawling all over my face, and me screaming and screaming until the whole household came running.

I couldn't have been more than 3...but I remember it like it was today.

Alex44
02-08-2007, 01:36 AM
I changed my mind...Jackie Chan style wont do. Im goin Bruce Lee style.

Fresh
02-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Im scared of roaches....they freak me out and I'm sick of it, so what should I do to get over it? I read about them on Wiki but honestly that just freaked me out more seeing all the pictures and stuff..

I don't see roaches very often, but I'm a man who isn't afraid to admit my fears.

For some reason, I'm also DEATHLY afraid of roaches and snakes........:eek:

Snakes more than anything though. Honestly, when I see a snake on TV, I turn the lights on and check everything around me. Seriously man, I hate snakes.

I almost fought some dude at South Beach one time for having this big *** snake out on the floor right on the corner of the street. I turn the corner and see this big *** snake......dude's laughing & asking me to pet it. I was about to knock his *** out.

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Man you aint seen a bug until you've seen a sequada they are the nastiest loudest bugs I have ever seen, and they are huge. And my suggestion, eat one. kidding....I dont know...I guess we all have our quirks.

spydertl79
02-08-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm afraid of giant centipedes now.... EESSSHH

Miamian
02-08-2007, 04:06 AM
I remember a story on the news a number of years ago about a woman who was deathly afraid of roaches. A team at UM devised a program to help her fight it.

TokyoFishFan
02-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Lots of man cards being lost in this thread.

You are man! It is beast. KILL IT!

Or put a a dress sissy girls.

PrepDogg loses extra cards because he let these guys get to him.

By the way, those palmetto bugs are in every restaurant in Florida whether you see them or not (the little german cockroaches too)
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gifhttp://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german.htm

The exterminator's help, and keeping the restaurant clean also helps (why you don't see them), but they are there, especially under booth seats.

If you can see them in a restaurant, you probably shouldn't be eating there.

If you see them in your house, you need to clean better and check all your window and door seals. It might not keep them ALL out, but it will minimize the problem.

Since you now know they're all around you, go out and SQUISH 'em!!!

King Nate
02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Whenever I find a cockroach, I snatch him up and punch him in the face a couple of times. Then, I'll usually rip off one or two of his legs. Finally, I use a little move I call "The Degrader". I'll put him in my toilet and piss on him. Then I flush and say, "tell your friends."

Then I usually light up a cigarette and go make love to a woman.

TokyoFishFan
02-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Whenever I find a cockroach, I snatch him up and punch him in the face a couple of times. Then, I'll usually rip off one or two of his legs. Finally, I use a little move I call "The Degrader". I'll put him in my toilet and piss on him. Then I flush and say, "tell your friends."

King Nate earns a Mentor Man Card for sharing his experiences with sissy girl men.:lol: :lol: :lol:

FinaciousOne
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Do the thing you fear!
That's how Ricky Williams overcame his fear of roaches. :ricky:

mor911
02-08-2007, 09:22 AM
keep your home clean, problem solved.

Perfect23
02-08-2007, 09:32 AM
I saw once, on Fear Factor, where they were eating Hissing Madagascar Cockroaches. If you did that, you would fear no roach!

exactly

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 09:32 AM
keep your home clean, problem solved.
not always bro...I live in an apartment complex and we are clean, but the peeps around us arent.

Prophet
02-08-2007, 09:34 AM
...I had a friend when I lived down there that went to the hospital one morning because he had a headache so bad he wanted to die. Turns out a palmetto bug had crawled in his ear while he slept...another thing about them is they can't walk backwards, so once it was in the ear canal, it just kept burrowing deeper.

The doctors killed the monster with alcohol and pulled it out...all 3 inches of it....

:eek: that would suck.

mor911
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
not always bro...I live in an apartment complex and we are clean, but the peeps around us arent.i know. i'm just messing with Alex. i grew up in carol city... I know all about gigantic roaches.

Mindwarp
02-08-2007, 10:02 AM
i know. i'm just messing with Alex. i grew up in carol city... I know all about gigantic roaches.

yeah but in CC our roaches had guns and sold drugs.

ASCII
02-08-2007, 10:26 AM

I've haven't heard of CC roaches...but I've heard of the CC spiders....

http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/watch/11041

SpurzN703
02-08-2007, 12:55 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SpurzN703
02-08-2007, 12:57 PM

:sidelol:

I don't know how the hell you guys come up with some of this stuff. F'ing priceless

retired opfinistic
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Smoke a few and the fear will subside.:wink:

WharfRat
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Do the thing you fear!
That's how Ricky Williams overcame his fear of roaches. :ricky:

:sidelol:

NJFINSFAN1
02-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Keep your house clean, then you won't have to worry!:wink:

Then rent Men in Black

PrepDogg
02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Lots of man cards being lost in this thread.

You are man! It is beast. KILL IT!

Or put a a dress sissy girls.

PrepDogg loses extra cards because he let these guys get to him.

By the way, those palmetto bugs are in every restaurant in Florida whether you see them or not (the little german cockroaches too)
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german_roach_04_Thumb.jpghttp://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german.htm

The exterminator's help, and keeping the restaurant clean also helps (why you don't see them), but they are there, especially under booth seats.

If you can see them in a restaurant, you probably shouldn't be eating there.

If you see them in your house, you need to clean better and check all your window and door seals. It might not keep them ALL out, but it will minimize the problem.

Since you now know they're all around you, go out and SQUISH 'em!!!

Well Nabo's story freaked me out, bro. :( :lol:

TheMageGandalf
02-08-2007, 06:01 PM

You and me both dude.

Only thing is...when I see one, I MUST KILL it....

The first second or two, I'll be like WTF? After that though, its on...

I cannot sleep, eat, drink as long as I know a roach is in the house.

It will die, and until I see a confirmed kill, I will hunt it down. With Raid, shoe or whatever.

Hence, why there are never any roaches in my house and woe to those that enter somehow...

Now before someone goes saying that they also might live in the walls or whatever...thats fine I guess as long as they dont step a foot inside my space and I catch them....because if I see them ...they will die....horribly :evil:

rob19
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzahLC8mNQ

:chuckle:

Maynard the Hammer
02-08-2007, 06:50 PM

Just always make sure there isn't one in the house when you go to sleep, they're attracted to your sleep-breath. That's why they "visit."are you serious or did you just watch star trek II?

NaboCane
02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
are you serious or did you just watch star trek II?

No, that story is 100% true, no BS.

Also, it's more common than you think; just ask any ER nurse or Doc how often they get to pull roaches out of people's ears...it happens, not all the time, but enough that I saw it on one of those reality ER shows on the health channel my wife was watching recently.

BritP
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Dude, I can totally relate. I am deathly afraid of those palmetto bugs. I first visited Miami last June and I looked on the floor and there was THEE biggest bug I had ever seen in my life and I started screaming like a crazy person and two photogs came running in the room and all I could do was scream and point to it. The one photog crushed it and it made the most awful sound I had ever heard. I've been super afraid of those things ever since. THANK GOD, we don't have bugs like that in O-HI-O. I feel bad for you sweetie! I know exactly how you feel.

:hug:

Alex44
02-08-2007, 06:59 PM
I feel pretty safe...I think I'd notice if something was making it's way into my ear. I wake up really easily.

Majpain
02-08-2007, 06:59 PM

:lol: somehow I dont think thats helping.

Alex44
02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Dude, I can totally relate. I am deathly afraid of those palmetto bugs. I first visited Miami last June and I looked on the floor and there was THEE biggest bug I had ever seen in my life and I started screaming like a crazy person and two photogs came running in the room and all I could do was scream and point to it. The one photog crushed it and it made the most awful sound I had ever heard. I've been super afraid of those things ever since. THANK GOD, we don't have bugs like that in O-HI-O. I feel bad for you sweetie! I know exactly how you feel.

:hug:

:D See I'm not the only one.

BritP
02-08-2007, 07:01 PM
:D See I'm not the only one.

No worries Sweetie!!! You aren't the only one :peck:

Majpain
02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Goodthing I got out of Florida, don't have to worry about the insects.

BritP
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Dude, I hate bugs, all bugs except fireflies...they are cute. I like to watch them. I blogged them. LOL

NaboCane
02-08-2007, 07:27 PM

This is one of the things I don't miss at all about Miami, along with people having gunfights over parking spaces, and the excessive wearing of colognes.

PrepDogg
02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
This is one of the things I don't miss at all about Miami, along with people having gunfights over parking spaces, and the excessive wearing of colognes.

:lol: :lol:

BritP
02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
:lol: :lol:

People wear a lot of cologne in Miami. I don't like a lot of cologne.

FinsNCanes
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Give one a *******.

themole
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM
dude you are male, somewhere deep inside you is a caveman trying to get out.

your palmetto bug is what 5 inches max? dude you could kill it with your index finger.. I know I done it before.

Maybe when his palmetto bug reaches 6 inches he will be a man! Me thinks his whole problem might just be he's playing with it a little to much. When the time comes that it maxes his index finger, all fear will subside, and he will put away such childish fears and find a more better place to put his palmetto bug.

FinsNCanes
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Go wrestle a camel spider then palmetto bugs won't seem so scary.

Jaydog57
02-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Roaches have been here for millions of years, and they'll be here after we're gone. Let 'em go their way, and you go yours. My dad's an entomologist at UF and I used to go to work with him and he always had those things running around the labs in experiments. They won't bother you, they're just looking for something to eat. It's not as if you'll end up like that old guy in the movie 'Creepshow':lol:

King Felix
02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
no roaches ever in my house

The Confessor
02-08-2007, 11:49 PM

Dude, that is EXACTLY what I tend to do:D...

wazzy
02-09-2007, 12:11 AM

Just smoke one of them then you will be to lazy to care:goof:

King Felix
02-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Just smoke one of them then you will be to lazy to care:goof:i was waiting for someone to say that:lol:

tylerdolphin
02-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I aint afraid of no roach.
But I am deathly afraid of spiders. Even the little ones that I KNOW cant hurt me freak me out to the point that I am scared to kill them. Honest to God. Down here we have mini-tarantulas too. Whenever I lift something off the ground outside Im a nervous wreck. Its crazy. I feel like a girly-man.

Jaydog57
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Damn, it's like elephants and mice. I'd be more afraid of something like psycho women that want to marry me for my money and then make me disappear.:lol:

Roman529
02-09-2007, 12:59 AM

Move to Colorado....too cold for roaches here.

Maynard the Hammer
02-09-2007, 01:27 AM
I aint afraid of no roach.
But I am deathly afraid of spiders. Even the little ones that I KNOW cant hurt me freak me out to the point that I am scared to kill them. Honest to God. Down here we have mini-tarantulas too. Whenever I lift something off the ground outside Im a nervous wreck. Its crazy. I feel like a girly-man.
not long ago i found huntsman spider in my room. pretty big, not too dangerous though. i thought it was a recluse at first and i freaked out

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/p1030113huntsmanspidersha6-1.jpg

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Damn another one ran by my foot again tonight....I actually freaked out less than I thought I would, Im seriously better than yesterday but still....

Majpain
02-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Damn another one ran by my foot again tonight....I actually freaked out less than I thought I would, Im seriously better than yesterday but still....

Maybe you should step on it? Or clean your room.

Rafiki
02-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Move to Colorado....too cold for roaches here.

Ditto. But we have those poisonous Hobo Spiders running all over the damn place. They are known for being aggressive and charging people. Buying glue traps is pretty much standard practice.

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Maybe you should step on it? Or clean your room.

Im in the living room actually. The funny thing is my room is a complete mess and I have never seen one in there. The living room is much cleaner but they are here all the time.

They always run along the same path too....cause they leave a scent to tell other roaches or w/e

King Felix
02-09-2007, 03:30 AM
ive seriously never seen any roaches at any house around here, sometimes spiders but it never gets bad

i dont get the big deal

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:32 AM
ive seriously never seen any roaches at any house around here, sometimes spiders but it never gets bad

i dont get the big deal

Spiders arent scary :lol:

Roaches are creepy. They can hold their breath for 45 minutes, live for long periods of time without their head, and look nasty.

Rafiki
02-09-2007, 03:34 AM

Roaches are creepy. They can hold their breath for 45 minutes, live for long periods of time without their head, and look nasty.

Yeah but nobodies ever died from a roach bite. They're harmless, albeit a bit freaky looking.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:35 AM

I agree completely. I never saw a roach until I moved to the city. Huge and disguisting, they scare the **** out of me. I havent seen one in my appartment for a while. I bought some raid and emptied that can in the area I thought they were coming from. Dont get over the fear, once you arent afraid of them they think they can stay and they win!

TokyoFishFan
02-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Links to back up the "ear roach" story along with other things that might want to "live" in your ear:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_111.html
http://www.ncemi.org/cse/cse0305.htm
http://www.disgruntledhousewife.com/neurosis/saga.020825.html
http://starbulletin.com/2000/08/02/features/memminger.html
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=221
http://www.poppymom.com/archives/2006/01/yeehaw.php
http://www.ralphmag.org/cockroachesZG.html

Rafiki
02-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Links to back up the "ear roach" story along with other things that might want to "live" in your ear:

Good hell, man. I read all the links and I have to say that Alex probably has a good reason to fear the scummy monsters.

Alex44
02-09-2007, 05:49 AM

Holy ****ing crap I may never sleep again! :eek:

TokyoFishFan
02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Holy ****ing crap I may never sleep again! :eek:

FACE YOUR FEARS!!!:eek: :tantrum: :fire: :evil: :lol: :sidelol: :cooldude:

Alex44
02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
FACE YOUR FEARS!!!:eek: :tantrum: :fire: :evil: :lol: :sidelol: :cooldude:

And plug my ears!

If I see another one Im crushing it and then setting it on fire or something, I'll be damned if I'm gonna have a roach in my ear :eek:

TokyoFishFan
02-09-2007, 06:03 AM
And plug my ears!

If I see another one Im crushing it and then setting it on fire or something, I'll be damned if I'm gonna have a roach in my ear :eek:

Careful about the setting them on fire bit, especially if you bug bomb your house. I left out the article about the woman who blew up her house trying to rid it of roaches.

The roaches survived it.:lol:

NaboCane
02-09-2007, 06:59 AM

I've had an on-again-off-again preoccupation with cockroaches crawling into my ears since seeing an animated short called The Silverfish King on HBO in the early 80s. Being unfamiliar with silverfish (all of which were no doubt devoured by the alarming Houston cockroaches), I immediately transferred the sinister role of Silverfish King to the enormous, shiny, and ubiquitous tree roaches of the muggy Texas gulf coast. That particular fear, dormant for years, was awakened in high school when I learned the story of Ehren's friend Toni, awakened in crippling pain by a cockroach that had burrowed too far into her ear. She had to go to the hospital to get it taken out.

For years I assumed Toni was a freak case. But last month, I met another woman who had been awakened by the excruciating torture of a roach in her ear. But her story was even worse. Because her story included a fact that Toni's story did not, a horrible and obvious point that had somehow never occurred to me: that she could hear it. She could really really hear it. Every tiny rustle of its crunchy exoskeleton was amplified in her ear, so that it was like the ****ing thing was tunneling directly into her brain. Euugh. It makes me shudder every time I think of it. I haven't gotten to the part of The Cockroach Papers about how much roaches love to snuggle into your ears, but I did flip past a photograph of a mid-sized roach making its way into a human ear. I've taken to sleeping with little strips of Kleenex stuffed into my ears. And even then, I worry about my nose and mouth. Or worse.

:eek: