PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why this is news?

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 01:18 AM
I cant go to any of the major sports pages without seeing it, and honestly it upsets me, greatly! John Ameachi comes out, he's gay. Whoopi for him! Does this make him a better basketball player? No. Does it change how he will....NOT..play basketball? No. So why is this news? Who really cares? Peoples sexual orientation should have no place in the world of sports. If Kevin Garnett came forward and said..."I'm straight. " The Media and fans would be like.....AND? So why is it any different if the athlete is gay? The fact that they make a big deal out of it, is a major reason why it is a major deal. Get over it! We watch you to watch the game, not to see "which side of the field your playing"

Alex44
02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
I dont know why people care honestly. Hopefully we get to a point where I guy says 'Im gay' and everyone just says 'and?'

djfresh47
02-08-2007, 01:29 AM
The first former NBA player that comes out and admits he's gay is news. Personally I don't care but I think it's sad that it'd be a distraction to a team. Unfortunately it would be if any guy came out while playing. Everybody believes the players would be the problem but personally I think drunk fans and the media looking for a public interest story would be a bigger problem. The funny thing is that everybody has been around a homosexual person and has not realized it and it made no difference because they did not know.

Alex44
02-08-2007, 01:32 AM
The first former NBA player that comes out and admits he's gay is news. Personally I don't care but I think it's sad that it'd be a distraction to a team. Unfortunately it would be if any guy came out while playing. Everybody believes the players would be the problem but personally I think drunk fans and the media looking for a public interest story would be a bigger problem. The funny thing is that everybody has been around a homosexual person and has not realized it and it made no difference because they did not know.

Yeah it's almost like the attitdude is 'It's okay if your gay...just dont tell me' even if no-one actually says that, it's almost a mindset for some people.

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah it's almost like the attitdude is 'It's okay if your gay...just dont tell me' even if no-one actually says that, it's almost a mindset for some people.
Yes, but it shouldn't be, why does he feel the need to "come out"? It doesn't change anything. To me it feels like making a big press release and writing a book about it etc, is flaunting it. And again like I said before, it would'nt fly for a straight guy, so why should this be any different.

Alex44
02-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Yes, but it shouldn't be, why does he feel the need to "come out"? It doesn't change anything. To me it feels like making a big press release and writing a book about it etc, is flaunting it. And again like I said before, it would'nt fly for a straight guy, so why should this be any different.

Well I think it's partly because when you meet someone you assume they are straight until you learn otherwise, so being gay is more....rare.

I don't like it at all, I don't think people should care what anyone else likes sexually. Thats all it is, a preferance....I know some people that like a lot weirder things than men. <-- for some reason that made me laugh.

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Well I think it's partly because when you meet someone you assume they are straight until you learn otherwise, so being gay is more....rare.

I don't like it at all, I don't think people should care what anyone else likes sexually. Thats all it is, a preferance....I know some people that like a lot weirder things than men. <-- for some reason that made me laugh.
well...your 16..its to be expected:rolleyes::lol:

Fresh
02-08-2007, 01:49 AM
If I found out that Dwyane Wade was gay, I'd never watch another basketball game in my life.

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 01:51 AM
If I found out that Dwyane Wade was gay, I'd never watch another basketball game in my life.
well...thats you, but thats not the point, its the fact that it shouldn't be news, not sports news.

Fresh
02-08-2007, 01:52 AM
well...thats you, but thats not the point, its the fact that it shouldn't be news, not sports news.

You're right, but this is ESPN......anything that involves players or former players = regarded as news. They're looking for the buzz, not the quality of sports news.

Headline: "Former NBA Player Comes Out; Admits To Being Gay"

People are automatically interested in watching the following Sports Center.

King Felix
02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
whats gross is he was showering wit dudes and the dudes didnt know it, he all checkin them out

Fresh
02-08-2007, 01:55 AM
whats gross is he was showering wit dudes and the dudes didnt know it, he all checkin them out

Exactly. Wouldn't it give you a nasty taste to here that years later, a guy who you showered with and changed in front of, is gay? Jeez.......I'd be scarred for life. Imagine if you remember him LOOKING at you!

I'd have to go find him and beat the living **** out've him. :nono:

King Felix
02-08-2007, 01:57 AM
im surprised dude didnt get hard during the showers haha:lol:

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Exactly. Wouldn't it give you a nasty taste to here that years later, a guy who you showered with and changed in front of, is gay? Jeez.......I'd be scarred for life. Imagine if you remember him LOOKING at you!

I find it hard to belive you live in Miami, and are this homophobic...I'm from Ft. Lauderdale, I remember how it was.:rolleyes:. But if he never "comes out" you dont know.

Fresh
02-08-2007, 02:01 AM
I find it hard to belive you live in Miami, and are this homophobic...I'm from Ft. Lauderdale, I remember how it was.:rolleyes:. But if he never "comes out" you dont know.

Ft. Lauderdale & Miami Gardens = two completely different areas.

Where I grew up, the only gays were definitely the closet ones.. surely.

Also, I'm Jamaican. I think that kind've gives better reasoning here. :lol:

I won't even express how most of us feel on the subject, and for one reason. I respect Finheaven and all of its contributors, so I don't really want to offend anyone or get banned. I'm not as homophobic as I was in middle school and my early years of high school though. Later on in high school, and now in college, has changed my views. Personally, I think it's HILARIOUS - I just don't want to be touched, looked at, or bothered by one. I don't really want to be associated with either. I've never had a gay friend, and no offense, never will.

Alex44
02-08-2007, 02:04 AM

I won't even express how most of us feel on the subject, and for one reason. I respect Finheaven and all of its contributors, so I don't really want to offend anyone or get banned. I'm not as homophobic as I was in middle school and my early years of high school though. Later on in high school, and now in college, has changed my views. Personally, I think it's HILARIOUS - I just don't want to be touched, looked at, or bothered by one.

Well if someone tells me they are gay and starts touching me then I have a huge problem with them....Im with you there. Looked at like....naked or just standing there? Personally I dont wanna get undressed in front of guys period...gay or straight. Bothered like...annoyed or even just talked to?

Fresh
02-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Well if someone tells me they are gay and starts touching me then I have a huge problem with them....Im with you there. Looked at like....naked or just standing there? Personally I dont wanna get undressed in front of guys period...gay or straight. Bothered like...annoyed or even just talked to?

Yeah, when I used to play ball in high school - I did NOT get undressed in front of dudes. But just generally speaking, a lot of male athletes do. But yeah, I just don't want a gay guy getting friendly with me, AT ALL. No offense.

Honestly, Omar from HBO's The Wire changed my perspective on gays. :lol:

That's a bad MF'er right there.......baddest on TV. And, he's gay! :eek:

unifiedtheory
02-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Wow...

There are some AMAZINGLY ignorant people here. I have seen bigotry at it's finest in this thread.

Stunning...

Enforcerfin33
02-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Still cant get away from it....lol....its still everywhere on the news.

PhinzN703
02-08-2007, 10:44 AM

Geez guy, why be so defensive about it? I wouldn't want to be checked out by a gay person either but if at the time none of us in the locker room knew he was gay only to find out he was later, it wouldn't be a big deal. Even if we knew he was gay and caught him looking at us, I'd just playfully tell 'em to piss off and look for a gay guy to check out.

The dude isn't Swamp Thing

PhinzN703
02-08-2007, 10:46 AM

All through high school we had to change and shower in the same locker room. It wasn't a big deal at all. And that started at age 15.

dreday
02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
When I was in the Navy everybody showered and changed in front of each other.Also in high-school.There was never any question on wether anyone was gay,but I guess with people coming out,and the big media stories on this topic,makes it interesting.Im with the thread starter:This story=Selling books for the retired player.

Chavez Ravine
02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
The thing that pisses me off in this is that these radio jocks are talking like he's a Jackie Robinson, Tony Dungy, crossing lines that have never been crossed etc.

No that's entirely not true. He kept it a secret while he played and now that he's gone and no one cares he announces it.

A players sexual orientation should not be an issue until they have the guts to announce it while they are playing on a team.

To my knowledge that has never happened.

phinman1
02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
This guy is nothing but a chump flaunting his gayness for coin, and I for one couln't care less about his story.

Chavez Ravine
02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Still cant get away from it....lol....its still everywhere on the news.

You know that was the other thing that pissed me off. There are 4 sports radio stations in LA and every one of them were talking about this.

I don't need to hear social commentary from a guy who showers 3 times and week and has got an AA from a local junior college.

djfresh47
02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Wow...

There are some AMAZINGLY ignorant people here. I have seen bigotry at it's finest in this thread.

Stunning...

It's actually a sad indictment of many people. Anybody who has been on a team sport and been in a lockerroom has been around a gay person. I'm willing to bet they did not go up and do anything that a straight person did. I know gay people and have never had them do anything. It's almost as if people expect homosexuals to be some sort of animals.

DonShula84
02-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow...

Stunning...

Pretty amazing isnt it.

The first person in the history of the sport comes out of the closet and people dont understand why it's even being reported on. Not to mention the homophobic comments.

Slappy8800
02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
i like how many insecure people there are in this thread.

i say good for him.

HysterikiLL
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM

Dude, John Amaechi would crush you like a bug.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-08-2007, 10:36 PM

I won't even express how most of us feel on the subject, and for one reason. I respect Finheaven and all of its contributors, so I don't really want to offend anyone or get banned. I'm not as homophobic as I was in middle school and my early years of high school though. Later on in high school, and now in college, has changed my views. Personally, I think it's HILARIOUS - I just don't want to be touched, looked at, or bothered by one. I don't really want to be associated with either. I've never had a gay friend, and no offense, never will.

and the shallowest post of the year award goes to you. Congrats!

PrepDogg
02-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, it's not that big a story to me because I'm from SF and gay people don't bother me in the least and if he's gay then good for him. But I do see the significance of the story thus I see why it's been reported so much.

phinphan896
02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
I cant go to any of the major sports pages without seeing it, and honestly it upsets me, greatly! John Ameachi comes out, he's gay. Whoopi for him! Does this make him a better basketball player? No. Does it change how he will....NOT..play basketball? No. So why is this news? Who really cares? Peoples sexual orientation should have no place in the world of sports. If Kevin Garnett came forward and said..."I'm straight. " The Media and fans would be like.....AND? So why is it any different if the athlete is gay? The fact that they make a big deal out of it, is a major reason why it is a major deal. Get over it! We watch you to watch the game, not to see "which side of the field your playing"
hes just trying to sell his book

Fresh
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Wow...

Stunning...

If you're referring to me..........

Ignorant because I choose not to associate myself with homosexuals?

Wow, that's my own choice........

Chavez Ravine
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Pretty amazing isnt it.

The first person in the history of the sport comes out of the closet and people dont understand why it's even being reported on.

Maybe I'm a little jaded, but it takes some of the power away from the announcement when its coupled with a book announcement.

Like I said above, it will be groundbreaking when it's someone who's still in the league.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 12:10 AM
and the shallowest post of the year award goes to you. Congrats!
Oh yeah, excuse me for not wanting to associate myself with gays.

I don't see the big ****ing deal. How am I hurting or offending them?

I'm actually making sure that doesn't happen by STAYING AWAY..........

But of course, you'll always find a way to take shots. I could care less though.

Yep, amazingly SHALLOW for not wanting to be touched or looked at by a gay person. (the following is just an example of people in general, I am NOT saying that gays smell or anything like that - have to throw that out there because of how SENSITIVE you guys are) Would you like to be touched by a dirty person who smells terrible? If so, then you're such a SHALLOW individual, OMG! :rolleyes2

unifiedtheory
02-09-2007, 12:25 AM
If you're referring to me..........

Ignorant because I choose not to associate myself with homosexuals?

Wow, that's my own choice........

It is the definition of ignorant.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM
It is the definition of ignorant.
So if I feel uncomfortable around someone, I should just lie to myself?

It's YOUR definition of ignorant, which is irrelevant to ME. :cooldude:

If I don't like someone, I keep my distance - I don't ACT for people nor do I look for trouble.

What you see is what you get with me........I'm just real. I tell it like I see it; to hell with sugar coating and all of that nonsense. If you want my true opinion, just ask me a question. I'm an honest person. Why should I hold back how I feel for how others feel? Nah.

Enforcerfin33
02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Pretty amazing isnt it.

The first person in the history of the sport comes out of the closet and people dont understand why it's even being reported on. Not to mention the homophobic comments.
ok, your missing my point, I could give a crap less if hes taggin giraffes...I dont care.....The First black coach in the SB,,,thats news.....

Dolfan984
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
I have like 4 lesbian friends. Those kind of gay people are fun.

Enforcerfin33
02-09-2007, 12:46 AM
i like how many insecure people there are in this thread.

i say good for him.
You shouldn't pat someone on the back for being gay, you dont pat someone on the back for being straight. I think alot of peeps arent seeing where I'm coming from. The Gay community wants to be accepted and treated like everyone else right? None makes a big deal about being straight........you see what I'm saying?

Nappy Roots
02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
not sure whats so wrong with what KiNG is saying here. i dont care if dude is gay or not...

nor the dude next to me. just dont touch me, or even look at me like you want to...

Fresh
02-09-2007, 12:54 AM
not sure whats so wrong with what KiNG is saying here. i dont care if dude is gay or not...

nor the dude next to me. just dont touch me, or even look at me like you want to...

dogg that's pretty much what i've been saying and it comes across as ignorant.

i don't know how the hell that's ignorant, but at least you agree with me.

what i find funny is how many people in here keep saying that it's "okay" to be gay. no, it's not okay. how would you guys feel if your kids came out gay? man, i'd be DEVASTATED, sorry! if everyone was gay, the world would be ****ed. what would happen to the population? how would we reproduce?

UCFinfan86
02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Im the same way, i dont care what you choose to do, just don't do it to me and where fine. I would be friends with a gay guy if he was cool, doesnt bother me aslong as i know what his intentions are

Fresh
02-09-2007, 01:00 AM

You ain't never lied! :lol:

Enforcerfin33
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM

what i find funny is how many people in here keep saying that it's "okay" to be gay. no, it's not okay. how would you guys feel if your kids came out gay? man, i'd be DEVASTATED, sorry! if everyone was gay, the world would be ****ed. what would happen to the population? how would we reproduce?
I'm not putting my two cents in on your beliefs, but I do believe you have a right to them, it doesn't make you ignorant. We all have our own religion and beliefs, etc,

Fresh
02-09-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm not putting my two cents in on your beliefs, but I do believe you have a right to them, it doesn't make you ignorant. We all have our own religion and beliefs, etc,

I respect that.

I'm not asking people to agree with me.......

I'm telling people that I'm real and honest.

PrepDogg
02-09-2007, 01:16 AM

:yeahthat:

PrepDogg
02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
I respect that.

I'm not asking people to agree with me.......

I'm telling people that I'm real and honest.

I see where you're coming from, KiNG and I respect you for being honest.

bullseyeguy
02-09-2007, 02:06 AM
If I say I dont like black people, or I dont want black people to look at me, Im a racist and ignorant, so how can the same thing not apply to gays?

bullseyeguy
02-09-2007, 02:08 AM

I know what you are saying, its like me....I dont care if a guy is black or hispanic, just dont move into my neighborhood, or go to my kids schools.....

UCFinfan86
02-09-2007, 02:31 AM
being black or hispanic isn't abnormal, being gay is

Fresh
02-09-2007, 02:43 AM
If I say I dont like black people, or I dont want black people to look at me, Im a racist and ignorant, so how can the same thing not apply to gays?
Now you've brought race into this. Race is a completely different issue, and that's very dumb of you to even bring that up - obviously looking to get the best of me like always.

You can't choose your race, but you can choose whether or not to be gay.

Race and sexuality is a HUGE difference - how can you even compare? Terrible.

I know what you are saying, its like me....I dont care if a guy is black or hispanic, just dont move into my neighborhood, or go to my kids schools.....
I hope you're using that as an example and you're not for real. I really hope so.

Really, your examples here = just awful. I wonder if you'd of used them to a white person. :rolleyes2

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Maybe I'm a little jaded, but it takes some of the power away from the announcement when its coupled with a book announcement.

Like I said above, it will be groundbreaking when it's someone who's still in the league.

No one who is an active player is going to come out when he sees this guy getting this type of response. It takes players out of the league to come out first so people realize that gay people are in the game before anyone will have the courage to come out while playing.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:18 AM
I am still waiting for Dirk to make his announcement.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:22 AM

Stupid argument. I'm not worried that the world will turn gay and end the human population. If my kid were gay I wouldnt care if it made him/her happy. It's not ok to you but if you're proud of your prejudice good for you.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:23 AM

Because you're just being real I guess.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Now you've brought race into this. Race is a completely different issue, and that's very dumb of you to even bring that up - obviously looking to get the best of me like always.

You know there is debate about whether it is a choice or not? It's easy to compare the two and it's a good comparison. You think people wake up one day and say I want to make my life more difficult, I'm going to be gay?

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:26 AM
being black or hispanic isn't abnormal, being gay is

100 years ago people were saying being black or hispanic is abnormal. Funny how now you use the ignorant arguments of the past towards a different group today.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Because you're just being real I guess.
No, what he's doing is being racist (or using a racist example at least).

Now what exactly am I doing? What's so hateful about my argument? I simply said that I don't want to be touched by gays, and I choose not to associate myself with them.

I don't see how the hell that compares to being racist...........

I'm not bothering anyone in this sense. I'm choosing not to be rude about it by going about my business.

I really don't understand the beef with me not associating myself with gays? :rolleyes2

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:36 AM
I don't think anyone wants to be 'touched' by gays :lol: if they are straight.

I don't know if you choose to be gay either really....I'm straight but I didnt choose to be it just kinda happened you know? I mean they could always just choose to sleep with women and all but that wouldnt be what they want.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Stupid argument. I'm not worried that the world will turn gay and end the human population. If my kid were gay I wouldnt care if it made him/her happy. It's not ok to you but if you're proud of your prejudice good for you.

Prejudice? Because I decide not to associate myself in a friendly manner to gays?

It's not like I look down to them like a racist would. I simply don't friend up with them.

I don't see the big problem here - maybe someone is offended? Don't know.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:38 AM
I don't think anyone wants to be 'touched' by gays :lol: if they are straight.

And somehow bullseye turned this into a racial comparison.

Sad, but he did it just to get to me, really........

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:38 AM
No, what he's doing is being racist (or using a racist example at least).

Now what exactly am I doing? What's so hateful about my argument? I simply said that I don't want to be touched by gays, and I choose not to associate myself with them.

I don't see how the hell that compares to being racist...........

I'm not bothering anyone in this sense. I'm choosing not to be rude about it by going about my business.

I really don't understand the beef with me not associating myself with gays? :rolleyes2

If I said I dont want to associate with black people, and I dont want them touching me people would be offended and they should be.

I'm not bothering anyone and I'm just going about my business.

And the assumption that a gay person is going to meet you and want to touch you is ridiculous. They arent animals who try to hump everything they come into contact with.

Not wanting to associate with someone simply because they are gay is just as prejudice as not wanting to associate with someone because of the color of their skin.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Prejudice? Because I decide not to associate myself in a friendly manner to gays?

It's not like I look down to them like a racist would. I simply don't friend up with them.

I don't see the big problem here - maybe someone is offended? Don't know.

You dont look down to them? How can you say that when a straight face when you typed that you'd be devastated if your kid were gay and you think it's wrong. No you dont look down on them at all, you just they are "wrong". Stop trying to sugar coat it with bs. Just because you go about not associating in a friendly manner doesnt mean you arent prejudice.

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:41 AM
If I said I dont want to associate with black people, and I dont want them touching me people would be offended and they should be.

And the assumption that a gay person is going to meet you and want to touch you is ridiculous. They arent animals who try to hump everything they come into contact with.

Not wanting to associate with someone simply because they are gay is just as prejudice as not wanting to associate with someone because of the color of their skin.

Yeah Ive got no problem with anyone unless they start touching me...then they cross the line.

Thing is I think all of us have met at least 10 people that were gay and we didnt even know it. Nothing bad happened to us either.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:42 AM

Honestly speaking, as a black person, if you have a problem with black people and you are RESPECTFUL about your choices not to associate with us......then I'd respect your opinion and leave you be. You're not bothering me - you're not chanting racial slurs or anything of that nature. You're simply not associating yourself with black people. Doesn't mean that we can't be CIVIL under the proper circumstances - in which, note that I never said that I'd be anything less than civil to a homosexual. I simply said that I'm not gonna associate myself to gay males, in a friendly manner. I am not going to make friends with a gay dude. I never said anything about disrespect.

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from.

I am not saying that I've got hatred for gays or anything like that. Personally, I know what I'm about, so I could care less what anyone else is about. Not my family, not my friends, not my problem. It's not life threatening or anything like that, so what's my business with the issue? Exactly, I just move along without hurting any feelings or making any type of dispute out've absolutely nothing.

As for the touching thing, who said that all gays want to touch every male? Surely not me. I simply said that I do not want them coming in physical contact with me, PERIOD........don't put words into my mouth, or finger punching onto my keyboard.
:escape:

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Yeah Ive got no problem with anyone unless they start touching me...then they cross the line.

Thing is I think all of us have met at least 10 people that were gay and we didnt even know it. Nothing bad happened to us either.

Exactly, and yet the second the thought of a gay person comes up people start saying as long as they dont touch me and making jokes. Why would they be touching you? It's just stupid homophobia.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Honestly speaking, as a black person, if you have a problem with black people and you are RESPECTFUL about your choices not to associate with us......then I'd respect your opinion and leave you be. You're not bothering me - you're not chanting racial slurs or anything of that nature. You're simply not associating yourself with me.

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from.

I am not saying that I've got hatred for gays or anything like that. Personally, I know what I'm about, so I could care less what anyone else is about. Not my family, not my friends, not my problem. It's not life threatening or anything like that, so what's my business with the issue? Exactly, I just move along without hurting any feelings or making any type of dispute out've absolutely nothing.

As for the touching thing, who said that all gays want to touch every male? Surely not me. I simply said that I do not want them coming in physical contact with me, PERIOD........don't put words into my mouth, or finger punching onto my keyboard.
:escape:

That's fine, but it still wouldnt change the fact that my feelings are racist and prejudice. Just because I'm not overt about it doesnt change that.

I never said you said that all gays want to touch every male. But why everytime people talk about homosexuals they bring up this fear of being touched is funny. It's just irrational.

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:46 AM
Everyone deserves their own opinion. I think it's okay to try and change someones opinion discussing things but I would never actually force mine on someone.

Anyway lets just say you had a son and he was gay, what would you do? I mean the kid just wants your love....he's still a person he just likes something different.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:48 AM
What's funny is this response of "I dont care if you're gay but I'm not associating with you" is the exact reason why players cant come out of the closet while they're still playing. You know this opinion isnt a unique one, many people feel this way. Imagine if people on your team stop associating with you, you're no longer a part of the team and if you're a bench player how long are you going to last when people dont want you on the team?

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:52 AM
That's fine, but it still wouldnt change the fact that my feelings are racist and prejudice. Just because I'm not overt about it doesnt change that.

I never said you said that all gays want to touch every male. But why everytime people talk about homosexuals they bring up this fear of being touched is funny. It's just irrational.

Nah, I don't really have a fear of it. It's just a standard that is set with me. Aside from sports, I don't like dudes touching me at all.. it's my common nature. Maybe I'm just different than the rest of the world; hell, we all are. I don't care about predujice and **** like that - it doesn't phase me. I've seen it all and been through it all, and I'm still the same person I've always been.

I believe that we all have different types of people who we either like or dislike associating ourselves with. You could be the friendliest person in the world, but are you going to associate yourself with a murderer? Not me. Personally, I don't care to associate myself and make friends with a homosexual, but that's just me. I'm comfortable with ME and the people who I surround myself with, but I'm not comfortable around gay dudes, man. That's just me. If you disagree, then that's cool.. that's you, man. I have nothing against your personal choice. Life is all about choices.

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:53 AM
What's funny is this response of "I dont care if you're gay but I'm not associating with you" is the exact reason why players cant come out of the closet while they're still playing. You know this opinion isnt a unique one, many people feel this way. Imagine if people on your team stop associating with you, you're no longer a part of the team and if you're a bench player how long are you going to last when people dont want you on the team?

:yeahthat:

And honestly even if a gay guy sees you and thinks your hot or whatever is that really any creepier than when you see some random chick and think 'I wanna hit that'

As long as a person doesn't make some sort of inappropriate move on me I'm fine. I don't expect anyone to either.

Except cockroaches....Im racist or speciest or something against them :lol:

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:55 AM

That's the thing though - that's a business situation. As is, a lot of players on the same team don't care for each other right now. Everyone has their own reasons.. strengths ans weaknesses. Not everyone can mesh. But just like how I'd treat a random gay person who addresses me respectfully (no flirtations or anything of that nature), is the same way I'd expect professional athletes to go about their business. If a random homosexual addresses me proper and asks how to get from point a to point b, and I know the answer.......****, I'd tell him.

Don't get me wrong though - I see where you're coming from.

There is a random ignorance, and I admit to being somewhat ignorant on certain issues. That's just me, and I'm cool with it - so are the people who I surround myself with. That's really all that matters to me. I find it common for most people to have SOME type of ignorance.

DonShula84
02-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Nah, I don't really have a fear of it. It's just a standard that is set with me. Aside from sports, I don't like dudes touching me at all.. it's my common nature. Maybe I'm just different than the rest of the world; hell, we all are. I don't care about predujice and **** like that - it doesn't phase me. I've seen it all and been through it all, and I'm still the same person I've always been.

I believe that we all have different types of people who we either like or dislike associating ourselves with. You could be the friendliest person in the world, but are you going to associate yourself with a murderer? Not me. Personally, I don't care to associate myself and make friends with a homosexual, but that's just me. I'm comfortable with ME and the people who I surround myself with, but I'm not comfortable around gay dudes, man. That's just me. If you disagree, then that's cool.. that's you, man. I have nothing against your personal choice. Life is all about choices.

Fair enough, we all make choices of who we hang out. If you arent comfortable around homosexuals that's your choice. I dont think you're a bad person or anything like that for thinking how you do, I think everyone (even myself) feels some of what you feel. Ideally I'd say judge the person on who they are and they're personality not their sexual preference. It's just a small part of who they are

Fresh
02-09-2007, 03:58 AM
Fair enough, we all make choices of who we hang out. If you arent comfortable around homosexuals that's your choice. I dont think you're a bad person or anything like that for thinking how you do, I think everyone (even myself) feels some of what you feel. Ideally I'd say judge the person on who they are and they're personality not their sexual preference. It's just a small part of who they are

Couldn't of said it any better myself.......

Alex44
02-09-2007, 03:58 AM

I said this a while back in this thread --> Ive seen a lot of people who have a lot stranger sexual preferances than their own sex.....

Fresh
02-09-2007, 04:01 AM
I said this a while back in this thread --> Ive seen a lot of people who have a lot stranger sexual preferances than their own sex.....

welllllll, I think it's about time for me to hit the bed up and forget about this entire conversation.

:roflmao:

HysterikiLL
02-09-2007, 04:15 AM

chicks with horses?

djfresh47
02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I think that homosexuals are stereotyped to be a certain way which is absolutely absurd. I'm not attracted to every female but for some odd reason every homosexual is going to be attracted to me? Also the media portrayal of this homosexual stereotype is really ridiculous. I think it's virtually impossible for a male to come out while he's playing. Females are accepted because it's a male driven culture and in the back of our minds we think that females are beautiful and see why they could be attracted to each other. A middle of the road player comes out I think a team would find away to make an excuse to get rid of him which is unfortunate. Although society has progressed many people are still unaccepting that other people could be different.

Fresh
02-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Just to throw some fuel into the fire.........

Charles Barkley claims to have played with quite a few homosexuals. So, basically, there are a lot of gays known in the NBA (at least known amongst each other/teammates). The way LBJ presented it = teammates know everything about each other. He also said that hiding ANYTHING from teammates would result in not being loyal, although "what's said in the locker room stays in the locker room" - interesting. LBJ almost sounded like he was defending a teammate.

Perhaps LBJ is protecting himself, as well as Damon Jones??????

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/2zpqedj-1.jpg

JUST KIDDING..................!

Roman529
02-09-2007, 06:53 PM

LeBron seemed to be pretty worked up about having a gay guy looking at him the locker room.

Rocky Raccoon
02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
LeBron seemed to be pretty worked up about having a gay guy looking at him the locker room.

I don't think that's the case at all. James seems perfectly fine with playing with gay players, he just wants everyone to be truthful, which I completely agree with.

RWhitney014
02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm not reading 6 pages of thread to find out if anyone already said this, but if no one has, this is why it's news:

Anyone notice who the publisher of Amaechi's book is? ESPN Books.
The news outlet that broke the story, conveniently two weeks before the book is due to be released? ESPN.

Marketing, people. And it worked.

phinman1
02-09-2007, 08:15 PM

I hope you're using that as an example and you're not for real. I really hope so.

Really, your examples here = just awful. I wonder if you'd of used them to a white person. :rolleyes2

What an absolutely clueless statement that is. In the majority of cases, they are hardwired for dudes the same way you are presumably hard wired for chicks. You think a normal guy looks at a girl and a dude, and says "I'll take the dude"?

Vertical Limit
02-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I like how Charles Barkley went out and said "I had 2-3 gay teammates before". Anyone want to take a guess on who they were?

Vertical Limit
02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Perhaps LBJ is protecting himself, as well as Damon Jones??????

http://i15.tinypic.com/2zpqedj.jpg

JUST KIDDING..................!
I KNEW IT!!!!!!! :shakeno: :shakeno:

:lol: :lol: JK

bullseyeguy
02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
I like how Charles Barkley went out and said "I had 2-3 gay teammates before". Anyone want to take a guess on who they were?
Kevin "KJ" Johnson, my all time favorite NBA player?....I always thought he might be gay, dont care either way if he is... He will always be my favorite player, and one of the best off the court people in the NBA....

Slappy8800
02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
You shouldn't pat someone on the back for being gay, you dont pat someone on the back for being straight. I think alot of peeps arent seeing where I'm coming from. The Gay community wants to be accepted and treated like everyone else right? None makes a big deal about being straight........you see what I'm saying?

then why make a big deal about black head coaches or a minority president or anything?

Fresh
02-10-2007, 09:18 PM
What an absolutely clueless statement that is.
Ahh, well sorry......all one can do is assume. I mean, I'm not gay, so how the **** would I know how exactly their mindset is on choosing sexes? I mean, you somehow seem to know. I surely don't, and really don't care to. Also, how ever it is that you do know, please don't share it with us!

Amars
02-11-2007, 12:38 AM

I hear Dwade might be Gay. Would that change your views about him or not wanting to associate with him. Im kinda lost about this Jamaican thing and what that suppose to mean. There are gay Jamaicans too. Gay or not gay, Black Asian Hispanic who cares.

Boik14
02-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Its only news because hes a public figure I guess. Once people stop giving a poop that hes gay it wont be as widely reported because no one will give a poop.

Its is really annoying though. I mean why dont they bring up the fact he was a terrible pro basketball player in these articles?

Quelonio
02-11-2007, 02:06 AM

You and him are giving yourselves way to much credit... It is like since they are gay they will be jumping all over me, for sure.

Come on, most gay people don't go around hunting for people all the time, they don't see men and run to them with a sex crazed urge, most gay people tend to find love amongst people that have the same preference they do. They are not interested in "turning" straight people into gay people, they are interested in having fun and/or having a relationship, and that means that they are interested in being with other gay people.

Heck I have hung out with friends in gay bars, and all you do is say that you are straight. Nothing happens and nothing is wrong. most my friends are from the theater industry, and that means that most of them are gay. They joke around from time to time about me being hot and all that, but would never ever dare try anything, they know I am not interested.

It is no different from being with a girl that does not like you, you are not about to try and **** her if you know that there is no way in hell she is not going to like you.

HysterikiLL
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
You and him are giving yourselves way to much credit... It is like since they are gay they will be jumping all over me, for sure.

Come on, most gay people don't go around hunting for people all the time, they don't see men and run to them with a sex crazed urge, most gay people tend to find love amongst people that have the same preference they do. They are not interested in "turning" straight people into gay people, they are interested in having fun and/or having a relationship, and that means that they are interested in being with other gay people.

Heck I have hung out with friends in gay bars, and all you do is say that you are straight. Nothing happens and nothing is wrong. most my friends are from the theater industry, and that means that most of them are gay. They joke around from time to time about me being hot and all that, but would never ever dare try anything, they know I am not interested.

It is no different from being with a girl that does not like you, you are not about to try and **** her if you know that there is no way in hell she is not going to like you.

Speak for yourself, Q. :foundout:

Enforcerfin33
02-11-2007, 02:41 AM
then why make a big deal about black head coaches or a minority president or anything?
Maybe you shoudn't. Honestly people should be judged by what they can do not by who they sleep with or what color or creed they are.

Fresh
02-11-2007, 02:45 AM
I hear Dwade might be Gay. Would that change your views about him or not wanting to associate with him. Im kinda lost about this Jamaican thing and what that suppose to mean. There are gay Jamaicans too. Gay or not gay, Black Asian Hispanic who cares.

You must not know too much about Jamaica at all then.

Try and research Jamaicans and homosexuality..........they downtalk gays in CHURCH.

King Felix
02-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Try and research Jamaicans and homosexuality..........that sig is tripping me out :lol:

Amars
02-11-2007, 03:12 AM

Try and research Jamaicans and homosexuality..........they downtalk gays in CHURCH.

Well you will know more then me but that really bad if they do.

Amars
02-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Maybe you shoudn't. Honestly people should be judged by what they can do not by who they sleep with or what color or creed they are.

I agree. I have more issue with half of rappers out there and the message they send then gays.

Fresh
02-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Well you will know more then me but that really bad if they do.
The man above doesn't approve of it either.

But like I said, me personally, I don't care.. I don't make friends with them - that's all. I'm not gonna throw my life away to commit a stupid hate crime or anything like that, or disrespect someone who doesn't disrespect me first. Personally, I think some of the stuff they do = HILARIOUS, so I don't mind having a gay guy in a class or whatnot.

I remember one incident when I first came out to FIU. My boy was opening the car door and a gay dude was trying to get by, "your like....SOOOOOOOOOOOO in my waaaaaaaaaaay!" while rolling his eyes and doing those "oh no you didn't" hand signals.:roflmao:

DonShula84
02-11-2007, 06:15 AM

They do that here too

aquaattak
02-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I can understand some of the comments on here about this. But the ignorance is no different than PRE JUDGING someone for their relgion, creed or race. Homosexuality is not chosen, BI SEXUALITY is. I've known plenty of gays that ALL have said that they knew since they were children that they were 'different'

Now on the "BIG GUY" doesnt like it either comment by (the poster formally known as Blueprint) King, maybe you can explain, or any other followers of the faith, how Eve's two boys 'procreated' the human race???? Maybe thats a topic for another thread....

KING=CHI CHI MON!

BTW, its all love!:goof:

phinman1
02-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Ahh, well sorry......all one can do is assume. I mean, I'm not gay, so how the **** would I know how exactly their mindset is on choosing sexes? I mean, you somehow seem to know. I surely don't, and really don't care to. Also, how ever it is that you do know, please don't share it with us!

Hey, you're the one who wrote the ignorant statement "they choose to be gay". Seemed like at that time you were pretty much assured of their "mindset".

As for how do I know, it's called common sense. Got any?

Enforcerfin33
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey, you're the one who wrote the ignorant statement "they choose to be gay". Seemed like at that time you were pretty much assured of their "mindset".

As for how do I know, it's called common sense. Got any?
You really shouldn't say anyone's feelings or beliefs are, ignorant. Your kind of being a hypocrite by calling someone ignorant for not feeling the same way you do about something.

Fresh
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
You really shouldn't say anyone's feelings or beliefs are, ignorant. Your kind of being a hypocrite by calling someone ignorant for not feeling the same way you do about something.
Thank you.......

But I'm done in here. Loaded with ignorant people who won't accept that we are all entitled to our own ****ing opinion. Man, some of you in this thread. If I was your child, I'd kill myself. :nono:

phinman1
02-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you.......

But I'm done in here. Loaded with ignorant people who won't accept that we are all entitled to our own ****ing opinion. Man, some of you in this thread. If I was your child, I'd kill myself. :nono:

If you were my child, I'd let you.

Fresh
02-11-2007, 09:31 PM
If you were my child, I'd let you.

Judging by the way you defend this thread, there's no telling WHAT you'd do to your child..

phinman1
02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Judging by the way you defend this thread, there's no telling WHAT you'd do to your child..

A lot of things I can say, but I'll just simply say that you are a complete moron, and leave it at that.

Pink_Dove
02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
They do that here too

Yeah but KiNG is right man, Jamaica is on an island of its own. It has a reputation of intolerance towards gays. Two years ago Brian Williamson, who was probably the island's best known gay activist was discovered by a neighbour, lying in a pool of blood. The Jamaica Observer in Kingston subsequently published a letter which read,“To be gay in Jamaica is to be dead.” At least 30 gay men are believed to have been murdered in Jamaica since 1997.

The country's law makes any act of physical intimacy between men punishable by jail, with the possibility of 10-years hard labour. Most claim asylum to the UK because the situation is so unbearable.

This is a good article about the situation:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3653140.stm

Fresh
02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
A lot of things I can say, but I'll just simply say that you are a complete moron, and leave it at that.

Yep, I'm a moron because I don't want to make friends with gays? Oh, oh, oh...no, I'm a moron because I disagree with you and your observations right? That's right - whoever disagrees with you = moron.

AMAZING.........

And you're what, the opposite of a moron I assume? I'm a moron and you're not?

Get over yourself man. Who are you and why the **** are you important enough to tell me what I am? You don't have a damn clue of who I am. :rolleyes2

I've had disagreements with a lot of people on this subject. It didn't turn classless like how it did with you. I wonder how that makes ME the moron?

aquaattak
02-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah but KiNG is right man, Jamaica is on an island of its own. It has a reputation of intolerance towards gays. Two years ago Brian Williamson, who was probably the island's best known gay activist was discovered by a neighbour, lying in a pool of blood. The Jamaica Observer in Kingston subsequently published a letter which read,“To be gay in Jamaica is to be dead.” At least 30 gay men are believed to have been murdered in Jamaica since 1997.

The country's law makes any act of physical intimacy between men punishable by jail, with the possibility of 10-years hard labour. Most claim asylum to the UK because the situation is so unbearable.

This is a good article about the situation:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3653140.stm

Wow..just wow:shakeno:

phinman1
02-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Yep, I'm a moron because I don't want to make friends with gays? Oh, oh, oh...no, I'm a moron because I disagree with you and your observations right? That's right - whoever disagrees with you = moron.

AMAZING.........

And you're what, the opposite of a moron I assume? I'm a moron and you're not?

Get over yourself man. Who are you and why the **** are you important enough to tell me what I am? You don't have a damn clue of who I am. :rolleyes2

I've had disagreements with a lot of people on this subject. It didn't turn classless like how it did with you. I wonder how that makes ME the moron?

What? Couldn't care less who you may or may not call a friend, and never implied anything to the contrary.

As for the admitted lack of class in our discussion, you brought it on.

Enforcerfin33
02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I read an article today where Ameachi said since"coming out of the locker" he has recieve multiple death threats. I dont honestly see how this whole situation benefits him.

UCFinfan86
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I read an article today where Ameachi said since"coming out of the locker" he has recieve multiple death threats. I dont honestly see how this whole situation benefits him.

$$$

Fresh
02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/68325384_478f974345-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/Peja-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/50-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/rodman-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/259682621_aef70cd881-1.jpg

Enforcerfin33
02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
http://www.wnbc.com/2007/0207/10956077_240X180.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/15/68325384_478f974345.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/God_Optimus_Prime/Comedy/Francis.jpg

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/nba/2001/1229/photo/a_kidd_i.jpg

http://img.sports.tom.com/img/assets/200410/AAA_041020163437.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/God_Optimus_Prime/Comedy/Peja.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/Firass/50.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20060829/capt.sge.ife53.290806050934.photo00.photo.default-357x512.jpg

http://www.nationalradio.com/rodman.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/103/259682621_aef70cd881.jpg
King thats just wrong....:rolleyes:

Fresh
02-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I found it pretty funny........

Didn't come up with it though, passed along by copy/pasting a RealGM post.

DonShula84
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM

It benefits the other people in the league who are gay and thinking of coming out. Someone has to be first to come out so it no longer becomes an issue.

bullseyeguy
02-15-2007, 02:51 AM

I'd have to go find him and beat the living **** out've him. :nono:Look, this is what I have a problem with....You arent attracted to men fine, thats understandable...Im sure there are women who you are not attracted to, lets say for the sake of argument that you are not attracted to redheads...
If a redhead was looking at you in a sexual way, and then on top of that made a move on you, would you feel compelled to "beat the living **** out've her"? Or would you feel somewhat flattered and turn her down in a respectable way?

What is the difference? If someone made physical contact with you, that would be one thing, but what does it hurt you to have someone be attracted to you?

Enforcerfin33
02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Look, this is what I have a problem with....You arent attracted to men fine, thats understandable...Im sure there are women who you are not attracted to, lets say for the sake of argument that you are not attracted to redheads...
If a redhead was looking at you in a sexual way, and then on top of that made a move on you, would you feel compelled to "beat the living **** out've her"? Or would you feel somewhat flattered and turn her down in a respectable way?

What is the difference? If someone made physical contact with you, that would be one thing, but what does it hurt you to have someone be attracted to you?
I understand the point you are trying to make, but like the pic you used in another thread, thats comparing apples and oranges, really. You cant say that a Homosexual male coming onto a homophobic man shouldn't be any different than a redhead woman coming onto a heterosexual man who just doesn't like redheads. It is a huge difference.