PDA

View Full Version : WR Mike Walker UCF ran a 4.28 today?!?

FinNasty
02-08-2007, 11:38 PM
There is no link... but I was just listening to NFL Radio on Sirus Radio. They were doing "Draft Diarys"... and having players come on the radio that were going to be drafted this spring.

There was that WR from Eastern Carolina(cant remember his name)... and then Lawerence Timmons came on. He was talking about how he is training for the combine in Florida with a bunch of other players including some Canes like Merriweather.

When the guy on NFL Radio asked Timmons who he has been most impressed with so far down there... he said Mike Walker from UCF, because he ran a 4.28 40 yard dash today! :eek:

Now, he went on to say that the time is obviously unofficial, but if he even runs in the 4.3's... his stock is surely going to rocket upwards...

I was expecting him in the 4.4s... but not in the 4.3s and definatly not in the 4.2s!!!

EDIT: I dont think he can actually run in the 4.2s... thats not the point. The point is that he is faster than expected. The only real knock on him is that he doesnt have a burner... and that he needs to add a few pounds...

wazzy
02-08-2007, 11:41 PM
WOW that guy just moved a round forward in the draft! Congrats to him on his preperation and determination to make an impression and do something for himself! But other then his forty does anyone know anything about this guy?

Dors156
02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
wow a 4.2 thats awsome. his stock is rising because of that

Crowder52
02-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Guys give me a break. There is no way this guy ran a 4.2. Someone with an itchy trigger finger must have timed him, or perhaps his dad. Wait till the combine for the real stuff.

Alex44
02-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Guys give me a break. There is no way this guy ran a 4.2. Someone with an itchy trigger finger must have timed him, or perhaps his dad. Wait till the combine for the real stuff.

Seriously those times are never ever ever right.

Didn't they also say Ginn ran about a 4.25 or something, Michael Vick ran a 4.2 and Marcus was faster :rolleyes:

SR 7
02-08-2007, 11:49 PM
who is he exactly? loll

GatorsFins23
02-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Obviously unofficial...but if its legit, damn! I saw UCF play UF this year, but dont really remember anything about Walker. Anybody down in O-town who can give us a lil scouting report on him?

MIAdolphin89
02-08-2007, 11:52 PM

Didn't they also say Ginn ran about a 4.25 or something, Michael Vick ran a 4.2 and Marcus was faster :rolleyes:

actually they said ginn ran a 4.06...

HysterikiLL
02-08-2007, 11:59 PM

You don't know this at all. Don't make brash accusations against something someone is reporting -- why is there no way he ran a 4.28? Tell me please, why?

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Obviously...

Like I said, he wont run in the 4.2s in the combine. but if he even came close to a 4.28, like say a 4.38... that is ALOT faster than expected. I was expecting 4.4s... some projecting in the 4.5s...

And thats what the big deal is. Not the actual 4.28...

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Here is a write up on him...

6'2 200lbs...

Positives: While his frame can certainly use additional bulk, he has a long, lanky frame with good overall muscle tone, tight waist, defined shoulders and low body fat…Shows very good field savvy and vision, as he is alert to coverages and has a knack for executing head fakes and generating enough hip wiggle to elude after the catch…Smooth open field runner who might lack timed speed, but has the change of direction agility, balance and body control to make proper adjustments to get to off-target throws…Shows good hip flexibility and knee bend to plant and drive out of his cuts…Has the ability to take plays from the chalkboard to the playing field…Excels at making adjustments according to what the defense gives him and is alert to coming back when the quarterback is pressured…Is best when given room to get into his routes, but has the movement skills and hand/eye coordination to separate after the catch.

His long stride makes him look a bit slow coming off the line, but he can accelerate out of his breaks and is smart enough to gear down and time his leaps to get to the short area throws…Usually crisp when trying to cut…His body control is evident when he runs disciplined patterns…Does a very good job of sitting down underneath and knows where the chains are…He can find the sticks and maintains eye contact so he knows where the cornerback is positioned…Better when utilizing his moves to elude rather than to try and generate a second gear that is lacking…Natural ball catcher who will extend and reach away from his frame…Catches with ease when he goes for the ball and shows good hand strength to secure the ball before turning up field… While he can use more bulk, he is effective at using his body to shield defenders and shows no flinch going for the pass in a crowd, even when he knows the defender is going to deliver a crunching hit…Will assert himself well to combat for the jump balls.

Has just adequate deep speed, but tracks the ball well in flight and can sneak up on a lethargic defender and separate…Very effective at tracking the ball over his outside shoulder…Is more of a build-up speed-type of runner, but demonstrates good concentration to look the ball in…Very smooth making twisting moves to get to the off-target throws while maintaining his stride…Won't put on the afterburners to separate after the catch, but has enough lower body strength to break the initial tackle…His shake and loose hips lets him gain positive yardage up the seam…Puts in the extra hours after practice and is known to spend considerable time in the film room.

Negatives: Needs to add at least another 10-15 pounds of bulk and strength to his frame to be more consistent powering through the jam at the next level…Has a small waist and bubble, lacking the lower body power to maintain position and sustain when blocking for the ground game…His long stride and lack of second gear makes him adequate on routes into the deep secondary…Needs to use his hands with force in order to defeat the press, as he does not generate an explosive initial step…Needs to learns to vary his stride (must take pitter-patter steps instead of long ones)…Comes out his breaks cleanly, but will take some false steps at times…Has the determination to compete for the passes inside, but a lack of bulk sees him get ping-ponged by second level defenders…Has to surprise the cornerback to slip past his opponent, as he does not have the sudden moves to separate after the catch…Will get stymied by a strong wrap-up tackle…Marginal blocker who will get pushed back into the pocket when trying to clear space for the ground game…Makes only passive a effort to sustain and takes poor angles in the open when asked to cut block.

Compares To: GREG JENNINGS-Green Bay…Walker does not have Jennings' speed, but both are field savvy pass catchers who uses an array of moves and some lower leg strength to break tackles. Walker needs to add more bulk and will never win open field foot races, but he is very effective on crossing and controlled routes.

I also wrote this a couple of weeks back...

6'2 200 lbs... and has 4.4 speed. With the poor season Central Florida had, he will but noticed less than he should. Many of you know Brandon Marshall... the talented 4th round WR last year of the Broncos. Well, Marshall was the #2 to Walker. Walker's junior year was spectacular... but in the last game of the season, he tore his ACL. However, he recovered quickly, and didnt lose a step this year.

This season, without any legitiment #2 WR to pull coverage... and with a pathetic carousel of QBs... Walker was 4th in the nation in receptions. He had 90 receptions for 1,178 yards and 7 TDs. Basically, EVERYONE knew they were throwing it to him... and he still caught the ball in double and triple coverage. He is fast and explosive and sure handed. He does need to add a little more bulk, but the NFL will bulk him up pretty easily... because he has the frame for it.

The kid is the complete package... but will probably fall into the 2nd day because UCF had a horrible season this year... and Walker isnt going to get the exposure that Marshall got. But the fact is... is that he is going to be a STEAL for whoever drafts him...

Crowder52
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
You don't know this at all. Don't make brash accusations against something someone is reporting -- why is there no way he ran a 4.28? Tell me please, why?

Tell you why...ok, the fastest time ever electronically recorded at the NFL Combine is a 4.33 by Fabian Washington from what I understand. So out of nowhere, a receiver who NFL draft sites have running in the mid 4.5's runs a legitimate 4.28? I think you are the one who needs to tell me why I should believe this.

Also, no one "reported" it. A player said it on the radio.

Alex44
02-09-2007, 12:08 AM

Okay well we can start off with the fact that NFL 40 times in general aren't very accurate. Most track stars only run about a 4.35 there was a really good article about it in another thread, about how NFL/College 40 times are inaccurate due to the conditions they are taken in.

Second of all like I said these times are never right. They timed Vick out of high school at something like 4.23, Vince Young at a low 4.4, Reggie Bush at 4.3 and none of those times were accurate at all. The guys timing them usually give them the benefit of crossing the line sooner and human error comes into play.

I'd bet my and my families lives that he didnt run a clean 4.28

Crowder52
02-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Obviously...

Like I said, he wont run in the 4.2s in the combine. but if he even came close to a 4.28, like say a 4.38... that is ALOT faster than expected. I was expecting 4.4s... some projecting in the 4.5s...

And thats what the big deal is. Not the actual 4.28...

Yeah man not shooting the messenger or anything...I think it was cool that you took the time to post something you heard on the radio because many people obviously didn't get a chance to listen. I was just trying to cool the enthusiasm a little bit.

That said, I don't think he will run in the 4.3's and would be shocked if he ran below 4.45. I've followed this kid quite a bit and I'm a pretty big fan, but I just don't think he is anywhere near as fast as Timmons claimed.

twix2500
02-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Does it matter if he ran that time. Running the 40 isnt running with football pads. He may run track for UCF, who knows? All we know is the guy is fast off the football field.

Disgustipate
02-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Here's the "Why NFL 40 times are bull****" article-
http://www.usoc.org/11611_32384.htm

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Again... it isnt about him running an actuall 4.28. There is no way he ran that. However, it means he is running ALOT faster than what was expected(Probably 4.3s to low 4.4s).

I always expected him to run in the 4.4s... because he was always faster than Brandon Marshall... and Marshall ran in the low 4.5s...

Dmarino110
02-09-2007, 12:24 AM
as a UCF alumni and golden knight fanatic, i have to say...I didnt think he was that fast...Hes one of those guys that could always break away but our Qbs werent good enough to get him the ball..

Id like to see him in a fins uni

HysterikiLL
02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Tell you why...ok, the fastest time ever electronically recorded at the NFL Combine is a 4.33 by Fabian Washington from what I understand. So out of nowhere, a receiver who NFL draft sites have running in the mid 4.5's runs a legitimate 4.28? I think you are the one who needs to tell me why I should believe this.

Fabian Washington's electronically recorded time at the 2005 combine was 4.25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash#Best_times). Also, just because draft websites have some old, possibly inaccurate 40 time, why does that have to be his max? Vernon Davis drastically improved his 40 time from midway through his college career to the combine. I believe, at one point Athletes Performance had him as a registered 4.6...he ran a 4.38 I believe, proving that athletes can drastically increase their times with the correct training and conditioning.

Okay well we can start off with the fact that NFL 40 times in general aren't very accurate. Most track stars only run about a 4.35 there was a really good article about it in another thread, about how NFL/College 40 times are inaccurate due to the conditions they are taken in.

Second of all like I said these times are never right. They timed Vick out of high school at something like 4.23, Vince Young at a low 4.4, Reggie Bush at 4.3 and none of those times were accurate at all. The guys timing them usually give them the benefit of crossing the line sooner and human error comes into play.

I'd bet my and my families lives that he didnt run a clean 4.28

I never said anything about accuracy. I was illustrating that someone who is sitting at a computer, whistling out their *** can't really discredit something that is reported on a radio. Whether or not he can run a 4.28, a 4.35, or a 4.5 on any other track is irrelevant to my point.

I accept that some times are miscalculated, but that still doesn't prove anything. I'm not sure where you got your times from -- Vince ran a 4.5 flat at the Nike Pro camp coming out of HS...He weighed 195 lbs...At 230 lbs at his pro day, didn't he run a 4.57? So it's possible that time could have been correct. Not sure about Reggie.

Guys, I think you're missing my point anyway. I didn't say he did run it -- I said you can't prove that he didn't run it with no factual evidence and basing the entire thing purely on assumption and intuition.

EndZone13
02-09-2007, 01:01 AM

Oh yeah, but Marcus was running away from McDonalds with a gun in his waistband of his pants, police in close pursuit.
:sidelol:

Crowder52
02-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Fabian Washington's electronically recorded time at the 2005 combine was 4.25 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash#Best_times). Also, just because draft websites have some old, possibly inaccurate 40 time, why does that have to be his max? Vernon Davis drastically improved his 40 time from midway through his college career to the combine. I believe, at one point Athletes Performance had him as a registered 4.6...he ran a 4.38 I believe, proving that athletes can drastically increase their times with the correct training and conditioning.

I never said anything about accuracy. I was illustrating that someone who is sitting at a computer, whistling out their *** can't really discredit something that is reported on a radio. Whether or not he can run a 4.28, a 4.35, or a 4.5 on any other track is irrelevant to my point.

I accept that some times are miscalculated, but that still doesn't prove anything. I'm not sure where you got your times from -- Vince ran a 4.5 flat at the Nike Pro camp coming out of HS...He weighed 195 lbs...At 230 lbs at his pro day, didn't he run a 4.57? So it's possible that time could have been correct. Not sure about Reggie.

Guys, I think you're missing my point anyway. I didn't say he did run it -- I said you can't prove that he didn't run it with no factual evidence and basing the entire thing purely on assumption and intuition.

We can't prove he didn't run it. You can't prove he did. What is your point?

If we could only post about things we knew as fact, I'd imagine there would be little to no activity on these boards.

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey, lets end the arguement about 40 times... it really goes no where...

Lets get back to Walker. He is 6'2 200lbs. He needs to probably add 10-15 more pounds in the NFL, but he has the frame for it. The NFL wont have trouble beefing him up a little.

Other than that, and not being a burner... he has all the tools. And if he has been working on speed conditioning and has got his speed up... then I would spend a 3rd round pick on this kid. He is great at going up for a ball and catching the ball with his hands... as he was routinely double and triple teamed. Yet, he was still 4th in the Nation in receptions. Everyone knew they were going to throw to him, and it didnt matter. He also has no problem going across the middle.

On top of it all, he is a hard worker and spends alot of time in the film room.

If he can run in the low 4.4s... he will break into Day 1.

EndZone13
02-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Yeah man not shooting the messenger or anything...I think it was cool that you took the time to post something you heard on the radio because many people obviously didn't get a chance to listen. I was just trying to cool the enthusiasm a little bit.

That said, I don't think he will run in the 4.3's and would be shocked if he ran below 4.45. I've followed this kid quite a bit and I'm a pretty big fan, but I just don't think he is anywhere near as fast as Timmons claimed.

And remember the Ismail brothers, Rocket and Missile? What impact did they make on the NFL. We had Quadry the Missile, and I don't think he even had a reception while he was on the roster. The only fast guy I've seen make an impact in the NFL lately is Devin Hester. And he is a kick returner for the time being. Don't know if he can run routes and catch in traffic at WR in the NFL. But he can stroll On kickoff returns.

:dolphins:

SR 7
02-09-2007, 02:06 AM

nope, Hill the DB from last years draft ran a 4.32

Crowder52
02-09-2007, 02:17 AM
nope, Hill the DB from last years draft ran a 4.32

Ok bro that's not the point, Hysterikill already pointed out that I was wrong on Washington's time. My whole point is that Walker didn't run 4.28.

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Ok bro that's not the point, Hysterikill already pointed out that I was wrong on Washington's time. My whole point is that Walker didn't run 4.28.

And we've already established that...

Let it go... lol :wink:

Crowder52
02-09-2007, 02:57 AM
And we've already established that...

Let it go... lol :wink:

I'm not sitting here talking to myself. People are quoting me and I am responding. And I did comment earlier in the thread on the fact that 40 time aside, I like Walker as a receiver.

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm not sitting here talking to myself. People are quoting me and I am responding. And I did comment earlier in the thread on the fact that 40 time aside, I like Walker as a receiver.

I'm just giving you a hard time... lol

CANDolphan
02-09-2007, 05:25 AM
The NFL corrects times...

Chad Jackson ran a 4.27 last year, but it was corrected to a 4.35.

Just a little FYI... Fabian Washington is reported to have run a 4.29 according to the Raiders website while Wiki says 4.28 and the NFL website says 4.32.. so..

DearbornDolfan
02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Had a buddy on my middle school track team that ran a 100m in just under twelve seconds once. For anybody who isn't up to doing the conversions, that's roughly a 4.4 forty yard dash. If a boy in 7th grade can run a 4.4, why can't a fully developed man who looks to be a pro athlete run a 4.28? Also, for anybody who's curious, the world record in the 100m extrapolates to a 3.5 forty yard dash and the guy who owns the record has done it three times.

Btw, Yamon Figurs reportedly also ran a sub-4.3 time before his senior year. If he can do that again he's probably an early second day pick.

PewterKrew
02-09-2007, 06:46 AM
well, if hes show near that time at the combine plus good hands and solid route running he might go late second early third with a great workout it is a mazing that people pay more attention to workout numbers then game film.

jason8er
02-09-2007, 08:45 AM
There is no link... but I was just listening to NFL Radio on Sirus Radio. They were doing "Draft Diarys"... and having players come on the radio that were going to be drafted this spring.

There was that WR from Eastern Carolina(cant remember his name)...
His name is Aundre Allison, and to me, he was one of the more impressive WR's during Senior Bowl week. I can't believe his name hasn't been mentioned more.

BKS11
02-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I once ran a 3.98 do you think my draft stock is rising?

PewterKrew
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Depends on the rest height weight and what not

phinphanforever
02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Had a buddy on my middle school track team that ran a 100m in just under twelve seconds once. For anybody who isn't up to doing the conversions, that's roughly a 4.4 forty yard dash. If a boy in 7th grade can run a 4.4, why can't a fully developed man who looks to be a pro athlete run a 4.28? Also, for anybody who's curious, the world record in the 100m extrapolates to a 3.5 forty yard dash and the guy who owns the record has done it three times.

Btw, Yamon Figurs reportedly also ran a sub-4.3 time before his senior year. If he can do that again he's probably an early second day pick.
You can't make that kind of extrapolation. It's simple physics really. You need to look at the rate of acceleration. 100 m racers are at their top speed at around the 60 metre mark, not at the 1 m mark.

As for Walker and the 4.28 time, I think it is fairly obvious that he wasn't timed correctly. However, the point is almost moot. 40 times are really not as important as some people suggest. Now, you can't have a WR running 4.8 -although I soemtimes wonder what Booker would clock in at- but the difference between say 4.38 and 4.48 will not tell you everything about how successfull a WR will be.
I am actually more impressed that Walker had the fourth most receptions in the nation.

Motion
02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't mind him on day 2. I don't think for a second he's that fast but he is a solid WR, even though he was pretty much invisible against Florida this past year.

Stitches
02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
And remember the Ismail brothers, Rocket and Missile? What impact did they make on the NFL. We had Quadry the Missile, and I don't think he even had a reception while he was on the roster. The only fast guy I've seen make an impact in the NFL lately is Devin Hester. And he is a kick returner for the time being. Don't know if he can run routes and catch in traffic at WR in the NFL. But he can stroll On kickoff returns.

You can look at Hester's teammate Berrian to see a speedster make an impact.

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't mind him on day 2. I don't think for a second he's that fast but he is a solid WR, even though he was pretty much invisible against Florida this past year.

The entire team was invisible against Florida... :lol:

The poor QBs got murdered... the whole offense never stood a chance.

It was a horrible game... but I stayed for the whole thing and took it like a man... :wink:

Motion
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
The entire team was invisible against Florida... :lol:

The poor QBs got murdered... the whole offense never stood a chance.

It was a horrible game... but I stayed for the whole thing and took it like a man... :wink:

Ah, good point. :D

Geforce
02-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Qadry did have 2 1000 yard seasons while a member of the Ravens.
You don't think Steve Smith is fast?

LeftCoastFinFan
02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
actually they said ginn ran a 4.06...

Wow! Does that mean he finished before he started?
:lol:

BillsFanInPeace
02-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I heard this two. Now it is possible. But it did not say if it was electronically timed like the combine or manually timed. Manual times are always more innaccurate. But a 4.28 is possible either way.

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I heard this two. Now it is possible. But it did not say if it was electronically timed like the combine or manually timed. Manual times are always more innaccurate. But a 4.28 is possible either way.

Glad to hear someone else heard it! :D

I am sure it was an innaccurate manual time... but either way, the kid has got some speed! :cooldude:

CANDolphan
02-09-2007, 02:58 PM
What does it matter, really? Alot of people don't run up to speed on the field. They could be track stars that arent running even 90% on the football field. There is a reason noone recognized this kid as a burner, because he isn't blazing fast on the football field.

BillsFanInPeace
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Glad to hear someone else heard it! :D

I am sure it was an innaccurate manual time... but either way, the kid has got some speed! :cooldude:

Yes either way as long as he has a good day normally yout manual are .05 to .1 off at max. so if you use that you can expect a combine time of 4.33 to 4.38. Guessing as long as he has a good day you could see around a 4.35 at the combine, if the report was true

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
What does it matter, really? Alot of people don't run up to speed on the field. They could be track stars that arent running even 90% on the football field. There is a reason noone recognized this kid as a burner, because he isn't blazing fast on the football field.

Even after the combine... he wont be recognized as a burner. Thats not the type of WR he is. However, if he is doing alot of speed training and getting faster over the offseason... that can really help him... and add maybe the only missing piece that he lacked... a top gear...

CANDolphan
02-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Even after the combine... he wont be recognized as a burner. Thats not the type of WR he is. However, if he is doing alot of speed training and getting faster over the offseason... that can really help him... and add maybe the only missing piece that he lacked... a top gear...

Speed training and "getting faster" aren't exactly the same. Its easy to knock off .15-.20 from your 40 time in merely half a day by working on just your takeoff technique ( most football players know this technique, its how you get off a line with a quick burst.. Im talking just regular people like you and me )

There are some tricks to knock down itty bitty things of time off your 40.. and these track stars make a killing by being hired by agents to work with their clients and show them these tricks, because everyone know no matter WHAT position you play, a low 40 time will help you ( hell, look at punter.. Brian Monroe from Buffalo is the #1 punter in the league because of his leg, and accuracy, but every special teams coach in the league knows about his ability to fake it and run up the field.. guy runs a 4.42.. as a punter! )

Mike13
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Even if he didn't get a 4.28 the point remains, he may be faster then we thought.

FinNasty
02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Even if he didn't get a 4.28 the point remains, he may be faster then we thought.

Exactly my point...

miami86
02-09-2007, 04:44 PM
He is a good reciever but he would really explode if he had a good QB throwing to Him.