PDA

View Full Version : Phone Solicitor

The Confessor
02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Hah, I just got a call from some bozo trying to sell me tons of Sattelite dishes. Funny thing is that I am on the
DO NOT SOLICIT LIST with the Govt

This @$$hat was off his rocker. He was getting pretty upset when I told him that I actually worked with the FCC- he got quite worked up about that. (I dont even have a clue if that is the agency that monitors Phone Solicitation.)
He was telling me "No this isnt solicitation, your name just comes up in a computer and now you are the lucky guy talking to me.....

What an A-hole....:lol:

Green Ranger
02-09-2007, 12:13 AM
i love playing games with them....

try to sell them something...or if you know the number on the caller id...go to ebaumsworld.com then click the "celeberty sound boards" button to the left, and select your favrotie actor and talk to them as arnold, dave chappelle...or whoever you like...its tons of fun!!!

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 12:16 AM
what i do when i get phone solicitors, i say this:

"Well, that sounds great and all... but why am i going to buy a satellite dish when as soon as i get off the phone with you, i'm going to kill myself.

.... that is, unless you can talk me out of it."

that makes them work for you!!

Rafiki
02-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Tell that jerk to look up the definition of solicitation, and then ask himself what he is calling for.

I can understand that these people are paid to basically bully their way to a sale, but they should be reasonable and respect the no-call list.

Phinz420
02-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Tryin to hock some dishes to you as well?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/10/tom-mabe-telemarketer.html

Guess that is one way.

CharlestonPhan
02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
i like to ask him if he will first let me tell him about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. strangely enough they always end the call. :)

on a tangent, back when i was single with a roommate, they built a new taco bell close to where i live, and wouldn;t you know it, their phone number was one digit different of ours. (ours ended in 5, theirs in 6)

you wouldnt believe the number of drunks who misdialed that number to complain about their botched orders and got us.

we would challenge them to come down and fight us if they were jerks or we could tell they were hammered, or if they were nice about it, we told them to come down and we would give them lots of free food. ask them how many people were with them, offer them a combo for four people.

DeathStar
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
"**** off" and then i hang up the phone. thats what i usually do.

but you guys are giving me some good ideas. keep them going! im going to definately mess with the next jackass that calls me.

Denverfinfan
02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
You get there name and the number that they are calling from. The name of their manager. Then you tell them that according to the "Telecommunications act of 1996" They have to respect the Do Not Call list or face fines and penalties. And that is not just the company that initiated the call, but also the rep who made the call itself.

NJFINSFAN1
02-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't answer unavilable, 800, 866 etc phone numbers.

With Directv I don't even have to get up because the number shows up on the screen if I don't have the phone.

Denverfinfan
02-09-2007, 04:19 PM
[quote=NJFINSFAN1;1061785911]I don't answer unavilable, 800, 866 etc phone numbers.

quote]

There is that as well, but if they happen to sneak through..... Then I throw out the Telecommunications Act.

Muck
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
back when i was single with a roommate, they built a new taco bell close to where i live, ....

If only every story could start off like this.

:lol:

tucker
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
what i do when i get phone solicitors, i say this:

"Well, that sounds great and all... but why am i going to buy a satellite dish when as soon as i get off the phone with you, i'm going to kill myself.

.... that is, unless you can talk me out of it."

that makes them work for you!!lol

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 04:31 PM
i like to ask him if he will first let me tell him about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. strangely enough they always end the call. :)

on a tangent, back when i was single with a roommate, they built a new taco bell close to where i live, and wouldn;t you know it, their phone number was one digit different of ours. (ours ended in 5, theirs in 6)

you wouldnt believe the number of drunks who misdialed that number to complain about their botched orders and got us.

we would challenge them to come down and fight us if they were jerks or we could tell they were hammered, or if they were nice about it, we told them to come down and we would give them lots of free food. ask them how many people were with them, offer them a combo for four people.

this guy is full of good ideas.

i like the "jesus christ" story... that's a good idea as well!

finswin56
02-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I believe violations of the "Do Not Call" list carry a $10,000 or $20,000 fine. Each violation.

If you just want to screw with a solicitor, I always like the idea of asking for their home phone number. Then suggesting that you call them at home later that night to talk about whatever they want to sell.

CharlestonPhan
02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
this guy is full of good ideas.

i like the "jesus christ" story... that's a good idea as well!

thanks, it works in all kinds of situations... bored with a conversation at your high school reunion? throw that line out there and watch people run. ugly chick in a bar stalking you? same deal. :)

CharlestonPhan
02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
If only every story could start off like this.

:lol:

thanks. i think. :D

CharlestonPhan
02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't answer unavilable, 800, 866 etc phone numbers.

With Directv I don't even have to get up because the number shows up on the screen if I don't have the phone.

how's that work??? i have directv, and no such thing happens on my receiver.

finswin56
02-09-2007, 05:36 PM
how's that work??? i have directv, and no such thing happens on my receiver.
Is your phone cord plugged in?

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
thanks, it works in all kinds of situations... bored with a conversation at your high school reunion? throw that line out there and watch people run. ugly chick in a bar stalking you? same deal. :)

:lol: :lol:

i knew jesus was good for something. :lol:

CharlestonPhan
02-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Is your phone cord plugged in?

yep, phone cord from receiver plugged in... of course, i don;t have caller ID, which prolly has something to do with it.

finswin56
02-10-2007, 12:29 AM
yep, phone cord from receiver plugged in... of course, i don;t have caller ID, which prolly has something to do with it.
:lol: Yeah, I think we've got this one figured out.

Do a lot of people keep their phone cord plugged in?
I never have. I know they tell you that you have to, but I'm pretty sure it's just BS

texasPHINSfan
02-10-2007, 07:13 AM

I never have. I know they tell you that you have to, but I'm pretty sure it's just BS

that was an old-school thing, so they could update program guides... and also send programming from reading the card to verify subscription purposes.... of course now they just do it through the satellite connection, so its pointless.... the only purpose it serves is caller ID.

you know what's cooler than that on-screen display?

talking caller IDs... they freak out your guests when you have people over and someone calls.

finswin56
02-10-2007, 09:54 AM
that was an old-school thing, so they could update program guides... and also send programming from reading the card to verify subscription purposes.... of course now they just do it through the satellite connection, so its pointless.... the only purpose it serves is caller ID.

you know what's cooler than that on-screen display?

talking caller IDs... they freak out your guests when you have people over and someone calls.Screw the guests, that crap would freak me out.

CharlestonPhan
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM

i keep mine plugged in, cause when it was unplugged it was slowing down my program guide when i would page thru it, an it would give me a frequent error message that my "receiver hadn't phoned in in 14 days."

finswin56
02-10-2007, 12:23 PM
i keep mine plugged in, cause when it was unplugged it was slowing down my program guide when i would page thru it, an it would give me a frequent error message that my "receiver hadn't phoned in in 14 days."
hmm, i may to try that. my guide is pretty slow. i don't care about the message though. it's been well over a year since i've phoned in

MischiefDolphin
02-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Telemarketers have made my job suck.

I work in Souther Cali as a Verizon Agent. Verizon sends me a list of customers that have older or large accounts and ask me to meet with them to go over their account. This mostly to ensure the companies telecom dollar is invested the best way possible. I.E. a lot of companies have very old plans and for less money the could be getting more with us. Its also a way to ensure they aren't talking to resellers.

Well... I can't tell you how much I get hung up on. I try to explain I work the company you are aleady giving money to and that this is being done for them... but I get the ole go to hell and die a ton.

BTW. If anybody in here owns a company and is need of Verizon telecom please let me know. I rep the best data/voice service network in the world and fellow Fins would be taken care of.

texasPHINSfan
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM

i run my through the Ethernet and into my network... my directTV pulls updates down through THE INTERNETS

texasPHINSfan
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Telemarketers have made my job suck.

I work in Souther Cali as a Verizon Agent. Verizon sends me a list of customers that have older or large accounts and ask me to meet with them to go over their account. This mostly to ensure the companies telecom dollar is invested the best way possible. I.E. a lot of companies have very old plans and for less money the could be getting more with us. Its also a way to ensure they aren't talking to resellers.

Well... I can't tell you how much I get hung up on. I try to explain I work the company you are aleady giving money to and that this is being done for them... but I get the ole go to hell and die a ton.

BTW. If anybody in here owns a company and is need of Verizon telecom please let me know. I rep the best data/voice service network in the world and fellow Fins would be taken care of.

but do we get the network?

Amars
02-10-2007, 03:37 PM
It doesnt matter if you are on the FCC do not call list. If you fill one of those free credit report, free ipod, free this and that you pretty much waive your right to that if they ask for your phone number. There is always loopholes.

The Confessor
02-10-2007, 03:44 PM
It doesnt matter if you are on the FCC do not call list. If you fill one of those free credit report, free ipod, free this and that you pretty much waive your right to that if they ask for your phone number. There is always loopholes.

He got my number somehow. I did some research, the company he was promoting is "Direct Dish". Pretty convincing huh? Sounds like something legit.
I did some digging. Hundreds if not thousands have reported this joker, to no avail. I guess he does deliver something, but nowhere what he promises:wink: