PDA

View Full Version : Question about Whey Protein

spydertl79
02-09-2007, 12:51 AM
I've added a whey protein drink into my daily diet to increase my protein intake but one of my room mates says that you should only take protein after you work out, as I do every other day. He says that the protein is stored as fat if you didn't work out earlier but I figured that my muscles are growing even on my off days so consuming more protein would be good. Does anybody on here know? I've seen a lot of good workout questions answered by the posters in the lounge.

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I've added a whey protein drink into my daily diet to increase my protein intake but one of my room mates says that you should only take protein after you work out, as I do every other day. He says that the protein is stored as fat if you didn't work out earlier but I figured that my muscles are growing even on my off days so consuming more protein would be good. Does anybody on here know? I've seen a lot of good workout questions answered by the posters in the lounge.

That's slight B.S.

If you are trying to gain weight, take it several times a day. Once in the morning, on workout days take one right after your workout, and always take one right before bed.

its the sugar carbs that get stored as fat if not used immediately.

EDIT: on that note, Muscle Milk is a good drink to take... but read the label on your protein drink - some have a LOT of sugar. One i saw at GNC had 120g of sugar carbs.... insane.

I drink Muscle Milk - the Chocolate Mint. It is very good and good for you.

Nappy Roots
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
you should take it on your off days to so while your muscles rest and regenerate you replenish your body with everything it needs..

btw, check the cholesterol of the protein. some are out of this world high.

UCFinfan86
02-09-2007, 12:59 AM
I take muscle milk(chocalte mint is the best, cookie and cream sucks) and i workout at night (10PMish) so i take it on the days i workout after i workout so its usually right before i go to bed

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 01:01 AM
I take muscle milk(chocalte mint is the best, cookie and cream sucks) and i workout at night (10PMish) so i take it on the days i workout after i workout so its usually right before i go to bed

:)

Muscle Milk Chocolate Mint FTW! :D

i take it daily... once in the morning, and once right before bed. Works great for me. I'm also on the Muscletech stack and the Animal Pak. Add a little NanoX9 as well

spydertl79
02-09-2007, 01:10 AM
you should take it on your off days to so while your muscles rest and regenerate you replenish your body with everything it needs..

btw, check the cholesterol of the protein. some are out of this world high.
<300mg

spydertl79
02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
And 2g of sugar

I either mix it with water and drink it or make a shake for dessert.

Dolfan984
02-09-2007, 01:14 AM
I got Muscle Milk but mine tastes like the middle of a creamsicle but slightly worse. I could bearly finish half of it :lol: I take noxplode but if Chocolate Mint is the deal for weight I'm already plenty strong, just want more mass.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
I personally drink over 200 grams a day of protein on top of what I get in my daily diet. While it is true that un-used protein can store to fat, as long as your working out (doesn't matter what time) and keeping your body busy, you won't have any problems. If your on a workout schedule (5 or 6 days a week, I workout 6 days) you can drink as much protein as you want and won't turn to fat. But if your working out 2 or 3 times a week and consuming a boatload of protein, you might be getting bigger but adding fat. I'm 220 pounds which is why I consume so much protein. An old myth (well it might be a myth it might not, no one knows) is that you should consume 1 gram of protein for every pound you are. I live by that method because I heard it when I was young and it stuck with me but honestly, the best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and the truth is if you ask any bodybuilder out there, you can never have enough protein. I don't know what your looking to do in the gym so I can't definitively say what you should do in terms of protein intake!

GreenMonster
02-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I personally drink over 200 grams a day of protein on top of what I get in my daily diet. While it is true that un-used protein can store to fat, as long as your working out (doesn't matter what time) and keeping your body busy, you won't have any problems. If your on a workout schedule (5 or 6 days a week, I workout 6 days) you can drink as much protein as you want and won't turn to fat. But if your working out 2 or 3 times a week and consuming a boatload of protein, you might be getting bigger but adding fat. I'm 220 pounds which is why I consume so much protein. An old myth (well it might be a myth it might not, no one knows) is that you should consume 1 gram of protein for every pound you are. I live by that method because I heard it when I was young and it stuck with me but honestly, the best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and the truth is if you ask any bodybuilder out there, you can never have enough protein. I don't know what your looking to do in the gym so I can't definitively say what you should do in terms of protein intake!

Damn you must be pretty big..

All of this is good advice, too much protein only becomes a problem like NY said if you take to much and don't burn enough off by working out..

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 01:37 AM

he ain't lyin....

UCFinfan86
02-09-2007, 01:51 AM
:)

Muscle Milk Chocolate Mint FTW! :D

i take it daily... once in the morning, and once right before bed. Works great for me. I'm also on the Muscletech stack and the Animal Pak. Add a little NanoX9 as well

i bought the cookie and cream and its soo bad, i have to mix it with milk and herseys syrup just to drink it

spydertl79
02-09-2007, 02:00 AM
i bought the cookie and cream and its soo bad, i have to mix it with milk and herseys syrup just to drink it
I chug that whey/ water mix.... its not pleasant but its pretty much pure protein.

HysterikiLL
02-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Yeah to what these guys are saying. Should have some whey when you get up, pre and post workout. Have some before bed, but casein is a better protein to have before bed because it'll take about 7 hours to fully get into your system, thus doing so while joo shleep.

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
I chug that whey/ water mix.... its not pleasant but its pretty much pure protein.

go with Muscle Milk Chocolate Mint Chip.... you can't go wrong with it, it is healthy, relatively inexpensive (on ebay, anyway, $30 shipped for a 2.5 lb container), and it tastes good.

HysterikiLL
02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
i'd recommend dymatize elite whey protein - rich chocolate flavor.........it's cheap, best protein powder i've ever used, and oh my god that flavor is like an orgy in my mouth

PhenomenalPhin
02-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Ask yourself this question.

Do you grow and recover inside or outside of the gym? You need protein every single day...

texasPHINSfan
02-09-2007, 07:00 PM
i'd recommend dymatize elite whey protein - rich chocolate flavor.........it's cheap, best protein powder i've ever used, and oh my god that flavor is like an orgy in my mouth

you know, its funny that you are talking about protein and an orgy in your mouth..... :lol:

Spray Mucus
03-15-2007, 12:05 PM

Glad to see you took my advice on the Dymatize...

but there is a lot of bad info in this thread, Whey is not the king of proteins, it's just the easiest to digest, thus it beeing an excelent protein to take pre and post workout.

But if all you're doing is drinking Whey in water pre and post workout, your grossly cheating yourself. Add a good source of Carbs pre and and post and experament with some empty carbs post (Dextrose and Maltodex) workout. The empty quick carbs work for some but not for others.

here are is a great thread on bb.com everybody who posetd in this thread should at least look at... or at the very least read the original post.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

FinsNCanes
03-15-2007, 12:08 PM

You can also just use it as something to curb your appetite. Not sure if you are trying to gain weight or just tone up.

HysterikiLL
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM

but there is a lot of bad info in this thread, Whey is not the king of proteins, it's just the easiest to digest, thus it beeing an excelent protein to take pre and post workout.

But if all you're doing is drinking Whey in water pre and post workout, your grossly cheating yourself. Add a good source of Carbs pre and and post and experament with some empty carbs post (Dextrose and Maltodex) workout. The empty quick carbs work for some but not for others.

here are is a great thread on bb.com everybody who posetd in this thread should at least look at... or at the very least read the original post.

yeah bro, the dymatize tasted delicious, but after a few weeks, I realized it made me break out in zits like a 13 year old school girl....it didnt have much sugar in it, but it definitely did something

Spray Mucus
03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
yeah bro, the dymatize tasted delicious, but after a few weeks, I realized it made me break out in zits like a 13 year old school girl....it didnt have much sugar in it, but it definitely did something

Could be a a million differnet reasons why you broke out. I wouldn't lay the blame on the protein, although I wouldn't rule it out either.

wazzy
03-15-2007, 04:07 PM

THat article was really long and informing but some of the stuff I didn't quite understand just for the simple fact there was some huge words!

d-day
03-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Could be a a million differnet reasons why you broke out. I wouldn't lay the blame on the protein, although I wouldn't rule it out either.

well said

The Confessor
03-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Lots of good information here. One more note, just like with anything, dont digest a days worth of protein (Or anything) in one sitting. Not one magical huge milkshake, but a handfull of smaller ones throughout the day. I know that is not always practical, but the body is only going to positively process so much at a time. The rest gets processed in another way:wink:

Actually, pretty much any nutrionalist is going to tell you to have 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of the traditional 3. Same holds through for additional nutrients that you supplement.

GatorDrew
03-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I like Optimum 100% Whey Protein... especially the Chocolate Mint. For the money, it's gotta be the best. I've heard a lot about Dymatize, but will admit that I never tried it.