PDA

View Full Version : Pachelbel's canon - Who is best? [Updated with new videos]

Celtkin
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
ABC's 20-20 is doing a special on viral videos and featured this Korean kid playing Pachelbel's canon.

UXEepTIXq1I

Here's the original guy (JerryC) who did the arrangement well over a year ago

by8oyJztzwo

Roman529
02-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Gotta go with the original. Sweet song. Where's Pagan?

I'd love to see Eddie Van Halen playing this tune...that would be sick.

Rafiki
02-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I gotta go with the dude in the cap. He plays it more crisply.

GreenMachine
02-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Jerry rocks out much more!

This would make for a kick *** Superbowl Hilite video!

NaboCane
02-10-2007, 02:29 AM
I gotta go with the dude in the cap. He plays it more crisply.

Absolutely. His fingering is much crisper than Jerry C; but you have to give credit to the original, and it took balls for Jerry C to even think about an arrangement of Canon for electric guitar.

The kid in the cap, you can clearly detect how how much Slash has been an influence on him. With the way that he holds his notes, he brings out that strident longing in Pachelbel's composition. Nice job.

I wanna hear what Budd has to say...and Pagan.

Celtkin
02-10-2007, 08:00 AM
The young Korean, I believe, has the best technique but he has had the advantage of watching and rehearsing JerryC's brilliant arrangement.

Both guys are pretty incredible, IMO

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 08:41 AM
The young Korean, I believe, has the best technique but he has had the advantage of watching and rehearsing JerryC's brilliant arrangement.

Both guys are pretty incredible, IMO

There is the rub....
being able to play an existing piece as well as, or better than the composer/arranger is certainly indicative of enormous talent....
However... actually composing or arranging the piece itself to begin with... that trumps "covering" someone else's work IMO.

finswin56
02-10-2007, 10:10 AM
That is so freaking cool!
The dude in the hat sounded better, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm just always impressed when I see someone adapt a song like this.

MischiefDolphin
02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Meh.

I've seen live bands like phish and string cheese do way more complicated musical feets, while improvising none the less.

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Meh.

I've seen live bands like phish and string cheese do way more complicated musical feets, while improvising none the less.

you do understand that A: classical guitar is the most difficult genre to play (just ask the guitarist from Phish or String Cheese)
and B: that to take a piece of classical music not intended for the guitar, and adapt it to 6 strings, is even more difficult?
This goes way beyond a jam session Bro :wink:

Towerjack
02-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I would have to agree with Celtkin - You can't fault either for their incredible talent but I would give it to Jerry C for the fact that he had the genius to come up with an arrangement like that in the first place

d-day
02-10-2007, 05:57 PM
the first kid plays like most kids do these days - like a trained monkey - he knows the notes, practices a lot, so he can play faster than most non-trained players but he doesn't have the "it" factor - he struggles to get across anything in a smooth fashion, is very stiff and doesn't really add anything to it - the korean kid is a true player - it comes very natural to him and his improvisions during the piece, own the other guy - would be like comparing peyton manning to rex grossman

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 06:58 PM
the first kid plays like most kids do these days - like a trained monkey - he knows the notes, practices a lot, so he can play faster than most non-trained players but he doesn't have the "it" factor - he struggles to get across anything in a smooth fashion, is very stiff and doesn't really add anything to it - the korean kid is a true player - it comes very natural to him and his improvisions during the piece, own the other guy - would be like comparing peyton manning to rex grossman

I agree, I think JerryC stayed truer to the original piece. I also prefer the sound quality of the Stratocaster over just about anything else, so I may be a bit jaded there. I also, as stated before, have to give enormous props to the fact that Jerry arranged it in the first place. It takes a deeper understanding of music than a trained monkey to accomplish that. :wink:

d-day
02-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I agree, I think JerryC stayed truer to the original piece. I also prefer the sound quality of the Stratocaster over just about anything else, so I may be a bit jaded there. I also, as stated before, have to give enormous props to the fact that Jerry arranged it in the first place. It takes a deeper understanding of music than a trained monkey to accomplish that. :wink:

and the first kid is playing an esp "strat" not the real thing - there's no question who plays it better or who is the better guitarist - the second kid is the answer - when i watched the 2 play again and watched how they played as well as what they played, the first kid is as stiff as a robot - that's not how the guitar is supposed to be played - then watch how smooth and easy it is for the other fella - there's some feeling involved in the playing that isn't there with the first guy

feeling > notes and the 2nd kid has both

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
and the first kid is playing an esp "strat" not the real thing - there's no question who plays it better or who is the better guitarist - the second kid is the answer - when i watched the 2 paly again and watched how they played as well as what they played, the first kid is as stiff as a robot - that's not how the guitar is supposed to be played - then watch how smooth and easy it is for the other fella - there's some feeling involved in the playing that isn't there with the first guy

feeling > notes and the 2nd kid has both

I love that original screamin' strat. I recognize them immediately, having owned one myself.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/FenderStratocasterIntSer-1.jpg

can't believe we finally agreed on something, d-day!

d-day
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
No dude... that's a screamin' strat.

http://www.lucky.se/Fender-Stratocaster-Int-Ser.jpg

isn't jerry c, the guy in the first video with a hat? that's an esp

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
isn't jerry c, the guy in the first video with a hat? that's an esp

I thought that was the Korean kid :lol:

d-day
02-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I thought that was the Korean kid :lol:

lol - well forget errything i said then :lol:

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
lol - well forget errything i said then :lol:

:sidelol: This is too funny... here we are saying we like the same one all along!

d-day
02-10-2007, 07:50 PM
:sidelol: This is too funny... here we are saying we like the same one all along!

lol - then we both agree the second one is the better player right? i went back and edited my posts - i thought the second kid was korean - well you know us white guys, we all look alike!

WharfRat
02-10-2007, 07:55 PM
lol - then we both agree the second one is the better player right?

yes... IMO he is the better of the two ... but again... the tone of the Strat sways that for me somewhat. Plus I think he stays truer to the original piece.

i went back and edited my posts - i thought the second kid was korean - well you know us white guys, we all look alike!

ahhh... you shoulda left them... now people will REALLY be confused (moreso than we were! :lol: )

d-day
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
yes... IMO he is the better of the two ... but again... the tone of the Strat sways that for me somewhat. Plus I think he stays truer to the original piece.

ahhh... you shoulda left them... now people will REALLY be confused (moreso than we were! :lol: )

lol - well they do now - i edited yo'r posts too!

Celtkin
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
JerryC is Taiwanese and was the second clip. He was invited to and was voted best guitarist in Asia by YAMAHA Asian Beat in 2003.

Here's his official site (http://jerryc.tw/)

Celtkin
02-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Here's another original composition by JerryC

rvAA8i2LzGM

Celtkin
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
JerryC Guitar Clinic - $150 v.s $1500 USD GT

WlpbLLUfakY

Celtkin
02-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Wedding in the Dream

Brilliant work once again.

2sA9RSFs8gI

Celtkin
02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Jerry rocks out much more!

This would make for a kick *** Superbowl Hilite video!

That would be a great idea