PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on drafting Troy Smith?

PhinCanuck
02-10-2007, 01:56 PM
What are your thoughts on drafting Smith?
Everyone would like Russell or Quinn, even Stanton. How about Troy? He is very athletic with great speed for the position. His arm is more than adequate and he throws a nice ball. He moves well, can scramble, throw on the run and hurt teams with his feet. He is an accurate passer who minimizes his mistakes and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions. He has a solid build and is tough to tackle.
The only aspect that I do not like about him is that he does not have the ideal height you look for and as a result he will have trouble finding throwing lanes and get too many passes batted down at the line because he does not always see the entire field.
What are your thoughts?

Cannonboy
02-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I think his lack of height will be a problem. Not really sold on him. Had alot of talent at OSU and I hate picking QB's from those kind of schools because the surrounding players always seem to make the QB seem better then he actually is. Would love to have Quinn fall in the Dolphins lap.

Webb78OLman
02-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Everyone would like Russell or Quinn, even Stanton. How about Troy? He is very athletic with great speed for the position. His arm is more than adequate and he throws a nice ball. He moves well, can scramble, throw on the run and hurt teams with his feet. He is an accurate passer who minimizes his mistakes and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions. He has a solid build and is tough to tackle.
The only aspect that I do not like about him is that he does not have the ideal height you look for and as a result he will have trouble finding throwing lanes and get too many passes batted down at the line because he does not always see the entire field.
What are your thoughts?

Smith does have some nice qualities to him. I never actually watched him play (besides the BCS Championship Game) so I don't know how much of his stats were due to Ted Ginn Jr. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I don't know enough about him to say if I'd go for it or not.

CyPhin
02-10-2007, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't mind depending on which round you are looking to pick him. If you could get him in the 4th, which I don't think is likely, then take him. Otherwise, I think the combination of our needs and his questions, make the pick unlikely.

Phinsfan-Jay
02-10-2007, 02:27 PM
yea maybe in the 3rd or 4th rounds if not him there is no hurt in getting Drew Stanton with a 3rd or Leak with a 5th or 6th

darsey
02-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I think you have to take Quinn if he is still available at the ninth spot. Discounting Russell because he will be gone, I think that Stanton would be a good pick up in the 2nd (his stock is rising). As for Smith, I agree that his talent or lack of talent was masked becaused the amount of talent OSU had next, but I still think he is a good athelete. The problem is that there are too many other good atheletes that fill holes. If he is available after the first day and there is not a quarterback at the draft wearing a Dolphins hat then I would take him.

calmrage
02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Troy Smith = Drew Brees + Athleticism and arm strength

Stitches
02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't touch him if I were the fins GM until the 5th round or later(and yes I know we don't have a 5th rounder).

VT Dolphan
02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I think it all depends on how the draft plays out in the earlier rounds. As of now, I'd say that Smith's stock lies somewhere in the 3rd-4th round range. If we manage to get Quinn in the first, or pick up Stanton in the second (or I'm praying the thrird), then obviously we would focus somewhere else in the later rounds. However, if we fail to address the position in the first three rounds, and Smith is still on the board in the fourth, I would definitely think abou taking a shot on him.

Crowder52
02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Troy Smith = Drew Brees + Athleticism and arm strength

Looks like someone failed high school math.

Motion
02-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Depends how the rest of the picks go before that. Maybe in the 4th. Not a huge fan of his though.

KingCrowder
02-10-2007, 03:22 PM
My Thought is, NO!!!

CANDolphan
02-10-2007, 03:23 PM

:sidelol:

But seriously.. Drew Brees + Athleticism and Strong arm?

Except Drew Brees was MVP Caliber quarterback, while Troy Smith probably wont make it off the practice squad.

gator_sensation
02-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm all for getting Chris Leak. He will be one on the surprise QB picks of the draft. Go GATORS!!!!!!!!!

PewterKrew
02-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Smith has the arm and stuff you cant teach a quarterback, it doesnt hurt that he played at a major college and put up great number if he is there in the second or third round when the dolphins pick it would be a great selections

The Confessor
02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
We already have Marcus Vick, why do we need a slower version of him?

feelthepain
02-10-2007, 03:50 PM
What are your thoughts?

In the 5th or later, not any sooner, IMO.

CANDolphan
02-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Smith has the arm and stuff you cant teach a quarterback, it doesnt hurt that he played at a major college and put up great number if he is there in the second or third round when the dolphins pick it would be a great selections

He also makes absolutely terrible decisions and his accuracy is extremely suspect.

But you're right we should definitely be picking him up with our SECOND ROUND PICK :confused:

Marcus Vick is faster, has a stronger arm, and is basically Troy Smith that was more thuggy... why draft him?

clbrazee
02-10-2007, 04:15 PM
ONLY as a free agent. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on a short QB.

Crunkcore
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Would be great if Quinn fell to 9 or if we drafted Stanton in the 2nd.
The browns can have Smith :D

Dolfan4life!
02-10-2007, 04:46 PM
If we took him with our 6th round pick I would not complain.

calmrage
02-10-2007, 04:46 PM

I watched every one of Smith's games in college. The guy is smart, a great leader, and most of all, he's a winner.

Funny, you are. Knowledgable, you are definitely not.

calmrage
02-10-2007, 04:47 PM
ONLY as a free agent. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on a short QB.

Like Drew Brees?

TPD1479
02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
No!!!!!!!

Crowder52
02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I watched every one of Smith's games in college. The guy is smart, a great leader, and most of all, he's a winner.

Funny, you are. Knowledgable, you are definitely not.

Drew Brees graded as a late first round QB by most scouts. If Troy Smith is a Brees clone but with more athleticism, why isn't he given a similar first round grade?

MGMBDF
02-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Troy Smith = Charlie Ward

IluvJuMiami
02-10-2007, 05:58 PM
What are your thoughts?

Methinks, no.

phins3454
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
What are your thoughts?

Troy Smith pretty much sucks, and he doesnt even have good size to chance on him

tdmiami
02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
you ripped that of nfldraftcountdown

Stitches
02-10-2007, 10:13 PM
you ripped that of nfldraftcountdown

Well this is ripped off nfldraftcountdown.com:

"Strengths:
Very athletic with great speed for the position...Arm is more than adequate and he throws a nice ball...Moves well, can scramble, throw on the run and hurt teams with his feet...An accurate passer who minimizes his mistakes and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions...Became a leader as he got older and is well respected by his teammates...Has a solid build and is tough to tackle...A gamer who steps up in the biggest situations...Really developed as a passer in '06 and is still improving.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the ideal height you look for and as a result he will have trouble finding throwing lanes and get too many passes batted down at the line...Does not always see the entire field...Will get sloppy with his mechanics and technique at times...Still somewhat raw after only starting a little more than two years...Has some character concerns from early in his career that will have to be checked out."

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/troysmith.html

Considering thier scouting report, I'd agree he ripped it off too.

Vegas dolfan
02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
If he is there in the 3rd, we take him. He has great arm strengh. He won the longest throw in the competition challenge last week on espn.

chibully
02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
that's funny, i was just thinking the same thing. everyone talks about drafting quinn, they could both turn out to be great.

i don't know much about college football, but i've seen troy smith play and when i heard coaches and draft experts say he wasnt a first-rounder, i was shocked.

the first position i think the dolphins need to address in the draft is o-line, like a left tackle or guard. a lot of people say qb, but i think it's very important to protect whoever is under center.

so i think we should get a key o-lineman in the 1st and then maybe go troy smith in the 2nd if he's there.

dominizzo
02-11-2007, 09:08 PM
No hes scrap

Vegas dolfan
02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Actually I think he will be really good. Will take a year or two to develope. He will have a better career than Leak, or Stanton. I have seen every game of his the last two years, this guy can play. He gets a bad wrap because of one game.

Stitches
02-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Actually I think he will be really good. Will take a year or two to develope. He will have a better career than Leak, or Stanton. I have seen every game of his the last two years, this guy can play. He gets a bad wrap because of one game.

Most QBs in this draft will probably have better or equivalent careers to Leak, lol. Way to use him as an example.

Dors156
02-11-2007, 11:38 PM
In the fourth, id rather take Leak then Smith IMO