PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Windows Vista

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2007, 08:25 AM
http://tech.msn.com/microsoft/article.aspx?cp-documentid=2664459&gt1=9013&wa=wsignin1.0

here is a story about why you should get it, and it also links you to a story why you should not get it.

I'm on the fence, I would want to see it before getting it.

Stitches
01-30-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't plan on getting it. From what I know, it would only really be an upgrade if you play computer games. Then again, I haven't read that much info on it.

WharfRat
01-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I'll wait until it's been out for a year, and they've released the SP that they'll need to fix the bugs in the initial offering.

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I'll wait until it's been out for a year, and they've released the SP that they'll need to fix the bugs in the initial offering.

Good point!:wink:

Motion
01-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Blah

Mac>PC

:D

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Blah

Mac>PC

This is said to be very Mac like. Don't know if its so?

Motion
01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
This is said to be very Mac like. Don't know if its so?

Wouldn't be surprised :rolleyes:

Dolphin1184
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I used the beta-test of Windows Vista Ultimate. The interface is awesome. The only problem is that there were serious compatibility issues with a few of my programs.

ILPhinFan88
01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I went to a couple of presentations windows did in this area in December for Vista and Office 2007. I loved them both have had Office 2007 since then and the final beta of Vista. :D

Noodle Arm
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
well I just finished building my computer (it kicks @ss!!), and when I purchased Windows XP, it came with a "free" upgrade to Vista. I want to wait until the bugs are worked out, but how can I pass up a "free" offer??!!

mor911
01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Introducing the world to a whole new line of bugs and **** ups. YES!

Motion
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM

:chuckle:

Timmy54
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM

that is Bill Gates' ultimate plan!!

FinsNCanes
01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
You don't really need it. If you play any kind of computer games just wait about 6 months or so till games actually utilize it along with dx10.

tucker
01-30-2007, 01:25 PM
i got a hold of office 07 a while back, but i'm hearing there are some really big problems with vista...

links:
http://www.sirlin.net/archive/windows-vista-a-time-bomb/
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/%7Epgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)

All your device drivers checking to make sure you aren’t trying to copy premium content…every 30milliseconds! Real-time encryption and decryption in paged memory (slowing down your computer for no good reason)…but only DRM’d movies/music are encrypted in this way? Your credit card numbers, bank PIN, and social security numbers are stored as always in plaintext paged memory. (We see who’s running the show.)
Device manufacturers have to have their circuit designs approved to make sure their device doesn’t somehow allow copying of DRM’d movies/music. Who do you need approval from? Three Hollywood studios! MGM, Universal, and Disney need to make sure your video card is up to their standards, ha.
The “tilt bits” are especially scary. Any little minute irregularity can flip them such as voltage fluctuations or a device driver finding a device in a slightly different state than expected. Vista flags any small fluctuation it can find with a tilt bit, suspecting that you are hacking. System stability becomes questionable at best.

spydertl79
01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
So if my friend were to get Vista then they will have to stop downloading music, computer games, and movies from UTorrent?

JSwerdy
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
problem with vista is that to run the cooler parts of it "aero" you are gonna need to upgrade your hardware on your computer

and yes the "new features" they are boasting pretty much mimic mac's OSX (such as exposing the windows, spotlight-searching, etc)

the screenshots of the new OS X Leopard look nice as well,

vista should be cool in like a year when all computers are fast enough to handle it

Mike13
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Blah

Mac>PC

I hear Macs are a pain in the ***.

JSwerdy
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
I hear Macs are a pain in the ***.

id say the opposite, like the first 2 days of the switch was bad, it takes a while to learn the little things you can do, but once you get set with the OS its possibly the most convenient thing ive ever used. the little things just make it really easy to use, especially keeping a lot of simultaneous windows open at a time, without the computer completely bogging down, and the ability to switch between each window much easier than in windows.

some of the flashy features of Vista are blatant copies from mac, mac's widgets/dashboard are now called "gadgets in vista. the feature Expose in mac (where you can either hit a hot key or move your mouse to the corner of the screens and all the windows open shrink into an ordered view) is now part of Vista (although ive seen Vista's screenshots and they do it more like an Itunes album art view rather than mac's proportional shrinking style)

from what ive read about vista, the downside is that its gonna be slow for a year or two until the computer hardware catches up with its true performance requirements. people wont experience vista as it should be until they have a computer that can handle it.

i recently switched to mac and am looking foward to macs new developments in Leopard, windows is just a hassle everytime i use it now

tucker
01-30-2007, 05:41 PM
So if my friend were to get Vista then they will have to stop downloading music, computer games, and movies from UTorrent?looks like it..which means i will be staying away from it

gillderais
01-30-2007, 05:59 PM
So if my friend were to get Vista then they will have to stop downloading music, computer games, and movies from UTorrent?

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/20/windows-vista-content-protection-twenty-questions-and-answers.aspx

Windows Vista includes content protection infrastructure specifically designed to help ensure that protected commercial audiovisual content, such as newly released HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs, can be enjoyed on Windows Vista PCs. In many cases this content has policies associated with its use that must be enforced by playback devices. The policies associated with such content are applicable to all types of devices including Windows Vista PCs, computers running non-Windows operating systems, and standalone consumer electronics devices such as DVD players.

looks like it..which means i will be staying away from it

In Vista, they're taking it to the next level. A Framework of DRM technologies.

Output Content Protection and Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/output_protect.mspx

Its so cool that no other Operating System has it! :lol:

nick1
01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Blah

Mac>PC

if you say so, I like PCs better. MACs are for schools :lol:

WharfRat
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Interesting article on this subject.
It's long, but unbiased (even though written by a steadfast MAC user... very fair), and well worth the read if you're interested.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Interesting article on this subject.
It's long, but unbiased (even though written by a steadfast MAC user... very fair), and well worth the read if you're interested.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/

Good read.

sirvmac
01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/20/windows-vista-content-protection-twenty-questions-and-answers.aspx

Windows Vista includes content protection infrastructure specifically designed to help ensure that protected commercial audiovisual content, such as newly released HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs, can be enjoyed on Windows Vista PCs. In many cases this content has policies associated with its use that must be enforced by playback devices. The policies associated with such content are applicable to all types of devices including Windows Vista PCs, computers running non-Windows operating systems, and standalone consumer electronics devices such as DVD players.

In Vista, they're taking it to the next level. A Framework of DRM technologies.

Output Content Protection and Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/output_protect.mspx

Its so cool that no other Operating System has it! :lol:

is that a no to be able to use downloaded torrents? :lol:

dolphan117
01-30-2007, 08:34 PM
That's what I have tried to tell my boss but we are going to have to set up a new server computer and because of the applications the office runs we have to either set it up with windows 03 server or vista. He doesn't want to go through setting up and reconfiguring the network only to have to make changes in a year or so which I guess make some sense. My life will be a little "interesting" for a while I guess as I fully expect vista to have issues.

ILPhinFan88
01-30-2007, 08:43 PM
That's what I have tried to tell my boss but we are going to have to set up a new server computer and because of the applications the office runs we have to either set it up with windows 03 server or vista. He doesn't want to go through setting up and reconfiguring the network only to have to make changes in a year or so which I guess make some sense. My life will be a little "interesting" for a while I guess as I fully expect vista to have issues.

Whoa that is a very bad idea. I'm a network Admin and the reason I got a new PC with Vista and Office 2007 is to learn everything about it so that when I do allow them to be on our network and have people using them I will know as much as I can about them. For the next 4-6 months that PC will be sitting on my test bench. But people will eventually have to get used to it because by the end of the year you wont be able to get XP anymore.

unifiedtheory
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm torn...

I had every intension of buying a the 24" iMac this summer but after some of the positive things I've read, seen and heard about Vista I find myself re-thinking my options.

I've used a Windows machine all my life. I'm on about my 5th different computer configuration and the machine I have now does everything pretty well, although it took me quite awhile to be totally happy with my computer.

It's going to cost me either way. I'm either going to go all in on a new Windows machine, dual core processor etc. (the one I want to build will be over $2000.00 in total, not including upgrading from my current 19" monitor to at least a 22") or I go with the iMac for about $2000.00 when it is all said and done.

Damn it! LOL!

MNFINFAN
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I have had the VLK version for about 2 weeks now as we are a Microsoft Gold Partner and they had asked us to go on it to get ready for the launch, and I love it. I have it on a tablet PC with a Centrino Mobile 1.86Ghz Proc and 1.5GB RAM, I am not able to get Aero to run as my GPU is not new enough I have the Intel 915 chipset, but without it I could care less and it runs much better than XP Tablet that I had on it.

We had to upgrade to v10.2 of SAV, and my Quoting software Quotewerks doesn't yet support VISTA but otherwise for me it is hugely better than XP and certainly not had any issues with the speed. Plus if I need to I can add a 1GB USB Flash drive and increase RAM if I need to any more and we have seen some degradation with a bigger USB flash drive due to the USB flash drive being too slow.

As for Office 2007, about bloody time they released something decent. It is the best version of Office out there hands down. Far more user friendly.

NJFINSFAN1
01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I have had the VLK version for about 2 weeks now as we are a Microsoft Gold Partner and they had asked us to go on it to get ready for the launch, and I love it. I have it on a tablet PC with a Centrino Mobile 1.86Ghz Proc and 1.5GB RAM, I am not able to get Aero to run as my GPU is not new enough I have the Intel 915 chipset, but without it I could care less and it runs much better than XP Tablet that I had on it.

We had to upgrade to v10.2 of SAV, and my Quoting software Quotewerks doesn't yet support VISTA but otherwise for me it is hugely better than XP and certainly not had any issues with the speed. Plus if I need to I can add a 1GB USB Flash drive and increase RAM if I need to any more and we have seen some degradation with a bigger USB flash drive due to the USB flash drive being too slow.

As for Office 2007, about bloody time they released something decent. It is the best version of Office out there hands down. Far more user friendly.

I just download the 60 day trial of 2007 office and powerpoint, so far its great, but I have only been using it for two hours.

dolphan117
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Whoa that is a very bad idea. I'm a network Admin and the reason I got a new PC with Vista and Office 2007 is to learn everything about it so that when I do allow them to be on our network and have people using them I will know as much as I can about them. For the next 4-6 months that PC will be sitting on my test bench. But people will eventually have to get used to it because by the end of the year you wont be able to get XP anymore.Like I said the boss is dead set on it. I'll start it out as an isolated station and after I get everything installed that we need and it seems to be working just hook it up to one other computer and go from there. Thankfully we are a small business and it will only have to serve 3 or 4 other computers for now although we will be adding to that in the future. I figure by the time this is done I will know the first names of most of microsoft's tech people though. :lol:

I have already been on the phone with the people who make the office applications that we run and they say they will be Vista compliant almost right away......... But when I really got into it with one of the tech guys he said there was no way he would put a network on Vista for at least 6 months, unfortunately my boss is one of those guys who loves the latest tech gadgets. I think I have said enough though that the bar for things running smoothly at start-up is pretty low.

LouPhinFan
01-31-2007, 12:15 AM
I'll upgrade when I build my next computer (2008). By that time the bugs will be worked out and all the driver updates will be available. The stories I've read so far pretty much say that if you really want Vista to make a difference, you better have a powerful machine and then get the $400 Vista Ultimate edition. By 2008 everyone will know if the Ultimate version is worth getting, or if its just a crock of steaming you know what...

IGN.com's coverage:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/759/759487p1.html

Mike13
01-31-2007, 12:34 AM
I'll wait a bit before I get Vista.

texasPHINSfan
01-31-2007, 12:49 AM
http://tech.msn.com/microsoft/article.aspx?cp-documentid=2664459&gt1=9013&wa=wsignin1.0

here is a story about why you should get it, and it also links you to a story why you should not get it.

I'm on the fence, I would want to see it before getting it.

i've been using it for several months now... and i have to say, i'm not impressed. The interface is hot... i love Aero. The OS itself is buggy as all hell and is a memory hog. I see no reason to upgrade unless you really want your PC to look more like a Mac.

If any of you guys have questions about Vista, how it runs, or any specific issues i've had with it, feel free to ask and i'll be more than happy to share my 6 months of highs and lows with you. ;)

texasPHINSfan
01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
well i just read through some of the thread... let me debunk the torrent rumor right now.

I've been using this machine for seeding and downloading torrents the entire time. You can do torrents no problem. i also use SoulSeek, Limewire, and many other P2P filesharing programs.

what i cannot do is print (drivers), use webcam (drivers), and network with my existing home network (drivers).

i am not a fan of the way that Vista handles networking, either.... being a former network admin, i am very used to XP and 2k.... the setup on Vista is dumbed down to the point where i can barely navigate around and cannot make the computer see squat on the network.

COMEBACKRICKY
01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
its only 10 bucks for me since im a student at a&m so im gonna get it... ill let you guys know how it is

texasPHINSfan
01-31-2007, 12:57 AM
its only 10 bucks for me since im a student at a&m so im gonna get it... ill let you guys know how it is

make sure you have your hardware upgraded....

EDIT: now how on earth are you going to be an aggie and have a picture of a sooner in your sig?

TRAITOR! :D

nick1
01-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't see the point in going out and buying a product just because it's the latest version. I have Windows XP and I'm content with it, if it works why upgrade?

Bruzer
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't see the point in going out and buying a product just because it's the latest version. I have Windows XP and I'm content with it, if it works why upgrade?

For gamers its becuase I guess windows xp will not work with directx10 so many want to upgrade to be able to run directx10.

Celtkin
01-31-2007, 09:33 AM
I already own a Mac OS :yes:

nick1
01-31-2007, 09:41 AM
For gamers its becuase I guess windows xp will not work with directx10 so many want to upgrade to be able to run directx10.

I got ya, I'm not a big PC gamer. I perfer the XBOX or PS but now I understand :cooldude:

SCall13
01-31-2007, 10:12 AM

If that's the case, my FRIEND won't be switching to Vista.

ILPhinFan88
01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
If that's the case, my FRIEND won't be switching to Vista.

Contact Texas, here is what he said...

well i just read through some of the thread... let me debunk the torrent rumor right now.

I've been using this machine for seeding and downloading torrents the entire time. You can do torrents no problem. i also use SoulSeek, Limewire, and many other P2P filesharing programs.

what i cannot do is print (drivers), use webcam (drivers), and network with my existing home network (drivers).

i am not a fan of the way that Vista handles networking, either.... being a former network admin, i am very used to XP and 2k.... the setup on Vista is dumbed down to the point where i can barely navigate around and cannot make the computer see squat on the network.

tucker
01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
damn that was quick

http://www.webroot.com/company/press...TTOM-vistaWeak (http://www.webroot.com/company/pressroom/pr/vista-weaknesses.html?id=HOME-BOTTOM-vistaWeak)

Webroot Threat Researchers Find Vista Anti-Spyware Component Fails to Block 84 Percent of Most Common Spyware; Encourages Users to Deploy, Time-tested Security Solutions

Boulder, Co., January 25, 2007 — Webroot Software, Inc., a leading provider of security software for the consumer, enterprise and SME markets, today unveiled evidence of potentially ineffective blocking capabilities in Windows® Defender, slow definition updates, and weak anti–virus capabilities in the default anti–spyware and anti–virus components of Microsoft’s Windows Vista™ operating system and Live OneCare™ suite.

"We applaud Microsoft for the substantive improvements and exciting new features offered in Windows Vista. The various built–in applications, networking enhancements, and improved graphics support make for an impressive product," said Gerhard Eschelbeck, CTO and SVP of engineering for Webroot Software. "However, we want to make sure that users understand the Vista operating system’s limitations, and caution them that Microsoft’s default malware blocking application and anti–virus programs may not fully protect them. With the continued increase in the ingenuity and tenacity of cyber criminals and malware publishers, it is crucial for users to additionally deploy a proven computer security solution that provides real–time protection against all forms of spyware and viruses."

Weak Spyware Blocking Capability
As part of the ongoing testing performed by Webroot’s Threat Research team, it was discovered that Windows® Defender failed to block 84 percent of a testing sample–set that included 15 of the most common variations of existing spyware and malware. In evaluating its ability to block spyware and malware before it has infected a user’s machine, Webroot’s Threat Research Team found the Windows® Defender program’s performance was not in keeping with many third–party security applications, including Webroot’s own award–winning anti–spyware program, Spy Sweeper®. Threats of various types – including adware, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs), system monitors, keyloggers and trojans – were able to reside on the testing environment undetected by Windows Vista™. One PUP tested was able to install under administrator privileges, run and capture keystrokes without any adaptation from its Windows® XP operating environment, and Defender did not detect the installation or the running application.

Slow Definition Updates Create Vulnerability
Deficiencies in the Windows Vista™ security system extend beyond its spyware blocking problems. Microsoft currently issues spyware definition updates for its Windows® Defender product every week to ten days. While this may sound adequate, Webroot’s Threat Research Team, on average, identifies 3,000 new traces of spyware and other unwanted applications in a single month and issues spyware definition updates on an hourly or daily basis as needed.

Susceptible Anti-Virus Costs Extra
Webroot also cautions that security weaknesses in the Windows Vista™ operating system are not exclusive to spyware, but could expose users to the dangers of viruses and other forms of malware as well. According to research from industry–leading anti–virus companies and leading analysts, the Microsoft Windows Vista™ operating system is susceptible to some of the most common virus and malware threats due to issues with its user access controls and inability to detect some common viruses. In addition, anti–virus protection is not free for Windows Vista™ users. They must purchase the Microsoft Live OneCare™ suite for $49.95 for anti–virus protection.

"We understand that Microsoft’s main goal is to provide a new operating system that generally improves users’ computing environments, and we genuinely feel that Windows Vista accomplishes this," adds Eschelbeck. "However, as a company that serves on the front lines in the battle against spyware and cyber crime, we feel strongly that in order to provide the best protection for Internet users, security must be your top – and only – priority. We hope that by providing information on possible security weaknesses in the Windows Vista OS, users will be able to make informed decisions about their computing security needs."

To learn more about Webroot products and user security needs when upgrading to Vista, please visit www.webroot.com/vista (http://www.webroot.com/vista).

ABOUT WEBROOT
Webroot Software, Inc. provides industry–leading security software for consumers, enterprises and small and medium–sized businesses worldwide. Globally recognized for its award–winning Spy Sweeper® line of anti–spyware products, Webroot recently incorporated anti–virus protection into two new products for consumers and SMBs, respectively: Spy Sweeper® with AntiVirus and Webroot® SME Security. The company also recently expanded into the parental controls software market with the introduction of Webroot® Child Safe®. The Boulder, Colorado based company is privately held and backed by some of the industry's leading venture capital firms, including Technology Crossover Ventures, Accel Partners and Mayfield. Webroot's software consistently receives top review ratings by respected third–party media and has been adopted by millions globally. Available as either branded solutions or on an OEM basis, Webroot products can be found at www.webroot.com (http://www.webroot.com/) and on the shelves of leading retailers worldwide. To find out more about Webroot, visit the website or call 1–800–772–9383.

ILPhinFan88
01-31-2007, 12:41 PM
I was just told by our Microsoft Partners Consultant that Microsoft already knew about all of this stuff and has been working on the first Service Pack which is suppose to be out in about 6 weeks.

dolphan117
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Yikes, 84 percent is pretty bad. Sounds like if you get vista you better load up with third parts anti spy-ware, anti virus programs, and a firewall.

ILPhinFan88
01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Also whatever you do dont get a Vista upgrade. With a Vista upgrade you can't do a clean install, to use the upgrade you have to have a OS already on the computer.

tucker
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
mac users are laughing in the back ground

texasPHINSfan
01-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Also whatever you do dont get a Vista upgrade. With a Vista upgrade you can't do a clean install, to use the upgrade you have to have a OS already on the computer.

well yeah that IS the definition of "upgrade."

me? I just got the standalone software. Either way i'm un-installing it until they fix the bugs and come out with the service packs. Aero is pretty, but if i want pretty, i'll turn on my mac (have to dust it off first).

I want stability and function.

texasPHINSfan
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
mac users are laughing in the back ground

at what exactly? XP beats OSX hands down.

Unless you are editing video or just want to be different, there are no real advantages i've seen in my experience to using OSX over XP Pro.

Shula Come Back!
01-31-2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNDVDtMFQU

I don't know if this was already posted, but it's pretty funny!

WeVie
02-11-2007, 01:22 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has bought it or bought a new computer with it on and and if so, what they thought about it. I was about to buy a new computer a couple of months ago but now I am glad I waited. From what I have seen of it so far, I like it but I have only read about it and seen some screen shots.

Roman529
02-11-2007, 02:46 AM
I believe NJ has this on his computer....you can probably find the thread in the search area (from about a week ago).

DonShula84
02-11-2007, 06:12 AM
My friend just took his comp back because he said it annoyed him so much. Lady at Fry's said they've had a lot of people doing that.

Towerjack
02-11-2007, 10:37 AM
From what I have read about it they reckon nobody would want to upgrade from XP just to get VISTA and the only reason for having it on a personal PC would be the fact that you have bought a new one.

byroan
02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Vista is very memory intensive. Almost makes more sense to buy a new computer with Vista than upgrade the one you have.

Muck
02-11-2007, 11:34 AM
As with any Microsoft operating system or service pack, I recommend waiting awhile. There's usually some bugs and security fixes that need fixing. Service Pack 1 for Vista is already set for Quarter 2 (IIRC).

There's also a versioning issue. There are 5 different versions of Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise and (at $399) Ultimate.

For the average user, Home Basic or Home Premium will do. Home Premium is a prettier, more multimedia-capable upgrade to Home Basic. It also has Aero Glass (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abouttn/flash/tips/tips_092805_2.mspx) and the rolodex looking program switches, which are really cool.

You also want to make sure the programs you use are compatible with Windows Vista. Lots of folks have an old program or two that they absolutely love, but don't have the CD for anymore. Even if you upgrade Windows XP to Vista (rather than a clean install), there's no guarantee that your beloved program will function properly.

There's also the issue of hardware. You'll need a minimum of 1GB memory and a 128MB video card/adapter. Most new computers have been coming standard with those specifications for about 6 months or so. But you'll want to make sure YOUR computer has them.

TIP: if your machine seems bogged down with Vista, go to the Control Panel and open the System icon. Select Advanced System Settings on the left. This should bring up the System Properties box with the Advanced tab selected. Click the Settings button in Performance field. Under the Visual Effects tab, choose the Adjust for best performance radio button.

This will disable a lot of of the "showy" settings in Vista, making things a bit snappier. I typically like to scroll down and put a checkbox in the bottom two boxes, as well as the Smooth edges of screen fonts box just above them. That way things will look almost unchanged visually, yet still giving you that performance burst.

Now click Apply and OK.

This is also something I like to do to computers with XP on them. Control Panel -- System -- Advanced tab -- Performance field Settings button.

Also in Vista, if you're getting annoyed with the User Account Control boxes popping up every time you want to do anything, just go to Control Panel -- User Accounts -- Change Security Settings and un-check the Use UAC box for the profile.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it's going to be a big adjustment for people, going from XP to Vista. Figuring out where things are, how things work, etc. There's going to be a learning curve. And it can be frustrating. So keep that in mind.

Muck
02-11-2007, 12:12 PM

I really dig the new Office as well. I mean, it looks really cool. But they approached it from the right angle IMO.

I went to a little seminar on it awhile back. And the MS guy said that 90% of Office 2007's features are in Office 2003. They realized that most people were only utilizing 10% of the product's capability because it was so damn convoluted and everything was buried in menu after menu.

This time they focused on making it all easier to see, access and understand. Their goal was to bring things to the forefront. And clearly they succeeded. Thank God.

texasPHINSfan
02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
what a lot of people don't know is that Vista Basic doesn't even come with Aero, which is that trick new interface.

just be aware of that guys.