PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning My PS2

Rocky Raccoon
02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
well my PS2 acts up from time to time. It will freeze and when it freezes the system makes a bad clicking noise. I've been told it needs to be cleaned maybe? Any suggestions? (and please don't tell me "yeah get a PS3", because I don't have the money for it right now.)

thanks for your help :wink:

rob19
02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
get a ps3:D

theres a cleaning disk with little brissles that clean the inside of your ps2, you could try and find one of those cleaning disks at like best buy or something. Now im not suggesting this but a friend of mine shot some air in there to clean out all the dust. Hope that helps.

Phin-o-rama
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
get a 360

:D

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Alex44
02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

That is for cleaning the lens, which should help the freezing. It also helps you learn how to open it up without breaking it which will help you clean the insides.

For cleaning the insides I suggest a q-tip and one of those air blasting cans.

Rocky Raccoon
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
thanks guys, opening up and cleaning it seems like the way to go. Thanks for the help :hi5:

Alex44
02-11-2007, 01:11 PM
thanks guys, opening up and cleaning it seems like the way to go. Thanks for the help :hi5:

Be careful when you open it. There is a wire thing that if it breaks your screwed. It doesnt break that easily but if you yank it real hard it might. The ones on the Slim PS2 are stronger than on the bulky PS2 believe it or not.

Mike13
02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
a friend of mine shot some air in there to clean out all the dust

Compressed air works like a charm.

Get one of those CD cleaning kits too.
There are some that use static electricity to clean them.

JPhinfan86
02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Yea - those self contained cleaner discs w/ the bristles on the surface work fantastically. Very cheap and you can use them on ALL of your CD functioning devices. Rock on holmes. :rawk:

SKing29
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Also if you have an old-style PS2 and quits playing some discs all together you may have to adjust your voltage meters (that regulate the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM games). I went through everything with my old PS2 before it finally died, I even had the fan hooked up to an extra ac adapter (it ran well above average shall we say).