PDA

View Full Version : Draft Landry?

RiderOnTheStorm
02-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Is this feasible?

Miami dont have a shutdown corner. Nate Clements and Asante Samuel will cost a small fortune in free agency. Last years first round selection Jason Allen has the ability to play CB, so could he be the answer to one of the CB positions?

If he could become the standout corner, safety will become an area of need and Laron Landry is a ballhawk who has been extremely productive throughout his career and would be a great addition to our defense.

I know we went safety last in last years first round and the team has other areas of need but wouldnt Landry make an outstanding selection at the nine spot?

34isback
02-12-2007, 07:09 AM
it would depend if we get some OL in free agency. he could be the qb of our defense. He's all over the ball all the time

dolphinfan0762
02-12-2007, 07:27 AM
i rather trade down and get patrick willis. this guy is a tackling machine.

Elliott 1
02-12-2007, 07:49 AM
How about we trade our 2nd round pick and Marty Booker to Green Bay and we take both Willis and Landry. However, we may be in a position to trade down and still get both of them. If Petersen or Quinn slide we might be able trade down a few slots and get that 2nd rounder back at the same time. Confused yet?

I think we need to be very proactive this offseason and somehow work some magic, because the Patriots are sitting good this offseason in cap space and
an extra first round pick from Seatle.

Spicy Henne
02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Not that I don't think Landry's a good player...but if you want to address the CB position, why not just take a player like Aaron Ross with our early second rounder, instead of drafting another safety and moving one to corner?

MustangFinFan
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
How about we trade our 2nd round pick and Marty Booker to Green Bay and we take both Willis and Landry. However, we may be in a position to trade down and still get both of them. If Petersen or Quinn slide we might be able trade down a few slots and get that 2nd rounder back at the same time. Confused yet?

I think we need to be very proactive this offseason and somehow work some magic, because the Patriots are sitting good this offseason in cap space and
an extra first round pick from Seatle.

im not sure if theyd accept that deal...but at the moment, i dont see a NEED for patrick willis...our defense is pretty solid as it is...yes id love to draft Laron Landry and move Jason Allen to corner....but if we get an extra 2nd rounder, id want a receiver..Dwayne Bowe, Dwight Mcaechem (sp?). etc

Geforce
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Is this feasible?

Miami dont have a shutdown corner. Nate Clements and Asante Samuel will cost a small fortune in free agency. Last years first round selection Jason Allen has the ability to play CB, so could he be the answer to one of the CB positions?

If he could become the standout corner, safety will become an area of need and Laron Landry is a ballhawk who has been extremely productive throughout his career and would be a great addition to our defense.

I know we went safety last in last years first round and the team has other areas of need but wouldnt Landry make an outstanding selection at the nine spot?

It's feasible but I don't know how likely it is. It's true we don't have a shutdown corner and probably don't need one as much as some people think. There was a lot of miscommunication last year and simplifying the scheme would help.
My preference would be to address the offense or the DL in the 1st round.

Motion
02-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Love to have Landry or Nelson. We need a ballhawk back there.

Stitches
02-12-2007, 09:58 AM

I'd love either of them too, but prefer Gaines Adams or Levi Brown at 9.

MustangFinFan
02-12-2007, 09:59 AM
why do people think we need DL?? is Roth, Evans, R.Wright, M. Wright, Vickerson not enough??? plus Taylor, Bowens, Zgonina, Carter, Holliday. i wont be upset if we pick a DL in the 1st, but i wont be happy either.

Stitches
02-12-2007, 10:04 AM
why do people think we need DL?? is Roth, Evans, R.Wright, M. Wright, Vickerson not enough??? plus Taylor, Bowens, Zgonina, Carter, Holliday. i wont be upset if we pick a DL in the 1st, but i wont be happy either.

Adams would play OLB for us most likely. And maybe because Evans, Wright, Vickerson are all unrpoven and likely only one of them will actually amount to anything. Taylor is like 30+, same for Bowens. Carter is getting up there in age, and currently Holiday is a F/A. There is a great deal to worry about in regards to the age of our DL. Our team has tons of needs, and about the only position that shouldn't even be considered on day one is RB (and possibly QB).

kwansolo
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Ditto, There presents is much need for the fins secondary. This would be a great pick with the 9th pick.

Elliott 1
02-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Guys, It isn't a given that we are able to keep any of our UFA's. We have 2 UFA's on the DL and another guy we want to cut. Thats 3 roster spots.

We have 1 RB,Brown, under contract. That's 3 or 4 roster spots. And we have many other roster spots that have to addressed.

As far as the OL goes, we have a spot at LT, but thats it, unless we choose to create other holes there with cuts.

We have only 6 draft picks and not much cap room. There could be a lot of changes taking place. Our guys really have their work cut out for them and we don't even have an OC yet and the combine is next week.

I don't think we can presume anything as far as our FA's even wanting to come back. They will say they want to because it's the cordial thing to do but we'll have to wait and see who actually returns.

Frayser
02-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Draft Landry, move J. Allen back to CB, and sign Adalius Thomas. We need to be willing to give these younger guys on defense a chance before we waste an early pick on yet another young lineman.

If we make those three moves above, we can focus the rest of the draft and free agency on offense, and I think we would have one of the top defenses in the league.

Motion
02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Guys, It isn't a given that we are able to keep any of our UFA's. We have 2 UFA's on the DL and another guy we want to cut. Thats 3 roster spots.

We have 1 RB,Brown, under contract. That's 3 or 4 roster spots. And we have many other roster spots that have to addressed.

As far as the OL goes, we have a spot at LT, but thats it, unless we choose to create other holes there with cuts.

We have only 6 draft picks and not much cap room. There could be a lot of changes taking place. Our guys really have their work cut out for them and we don't even have an OC yet and the combine is next week.

I don't think we can presume anything as far as our FA's even wanting to come back. They will say they want to because it's the cordial thing to do but we'll have to wait and see who actually returns.

Thats not true. Technically Ricky is still under contract.

Elliott 1
02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Thats not true. Technically Ricky is still under contract.

Hey, I am a huge Ricky fan and I want him back big time, but management not wanting to address the issue at this time isn't a good sign to me. Frankly I may actually be surprised if he's in a Dolphin uniform next year. The new staff may want to put the past behind them and I wouldn't fault them for that. I rate Ricky as better than Ronnie but who knows.

I would be very surprised if Sammie returns. He is a great football player who hasn't got the respect he deserved here and he can probably get more money elsewhere.

Travis and Barnes could probably return, but do we want them to? Might not have a choice.

Motion
02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey, I am a huge Ricky fan and I want him back big time, but management not wanting to address the issue at this time isn't a good sign to me. Frankly I may actually be surprised if he's in a Dolphin uniform next year. The new staff may want to put the past behind them and I wouldn't fault them for that. I rate Ricky as better than Ronnie but who knows.

I would be very surprised if Sammie returns. He is a great football player who hasn't got the respect he deserved here and he can probably get more money elsewhere.

Travis and Barnes could probably return, but do we want them to? Might not have a choice.

Anyone know about Patrick Cobbs? I know he was a practice squad guy for the most part but he was active for a few games.

Geforce
02-12-2007, 11:06 AM

They won't address the issue because Ricky has yet to be reinstated by the NFL. In their way of thinking, why talk about a player who is not officially here.

Motion
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
They won't address the issue because Ricky has yet to be reinstated by the NFL. In their way of thinking, why talk about a player who is not officially here.

Good point

Crowder52
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm not gonna say Landry is my number one choice, but he sure looks like one of the "can't miss" prospects in this draft and I would be thrilled to have him on the Phins.

JFoxx
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry, but if moving Allen to CB would have been a success, then why didn't we do it. My guess is that he would be an OK CB, but not a "shut-down" type of guy. So do we work on making him one of our safeties, or do we try to get some value out of him elsewhere? As great of a player Landry seems to be, if we draft him, we're all but announcing that Allen was a BUST draft pick for us and one of our biggest needs is safety. Unless we do a LOT in the off-season F/A market, I don't believe our biggest need is at safety.

NE DOLFAN
02-12-2007, 12:50 PM
It would be good to get an OL in the first round, but Joe Thomas won't be there at #9, and Levi Brown may be a reach with the #9 pick. If Quinn is gone, and Landry is the highest rated player on our board, then Landry would be a sensible choice. There could also be a really good DL available as well. I just want to get the best player we can get at #9, rather then reach to fill a need.

SR 7
02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
im not sure if theyd accept that deal...but at the moment, i dont see a NEED for patrick willis...our defense is pretty solid as it is...yes id love to draft Laron Landry and move Jason Allen to corner....but if we get an extra 2nd rounder, id want a receiver..Dwayne Bowe, Dwight Mcaechem (sp?). etc

out defense isn't solid, its aging with teh wrong personell for a 3-4 D. Willis wont be our pick b/c he is a MLB not a OLB. this was apparently "figured out" during the senior bowl.

kwansolo
02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry, but if moving Allen to CB would have been a success, then why didn't we do it. My guess is that he would be an OK CB, but not a "shut-down" type of guy. So do we work on making him one of our safeties, or do we try to get some value out of him elsewhere? As great of a player Landry seems to be, if we draft him, we're all but announcing that Allen was a BUST draft pick for us and one of our biggest needs is safety. Unless we do a LOT in the off-season F/A market, I don't believe our biggest need is at safety.

You couldn't of said it any better about Allen being a bust, but if you look Allen and Landry as well as watch them play. They both bring a different kind attitude to the secondary. The Dolphins needs a ballhawk, someone that could lay the wood. I don't see Allen being a force in the secondary. I have to say Allen did have 1 big hit last year against the Patriots but he almost knock himself out too. :)

Geforce
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
out defense isn't solid, its aging with teh wrong personell for a 3-4 D. Willis wont be our pick b/c he is a MLB not a OLB. this was apparently "figured out" during the senior bowl.

How was it figured out? He played both ILB & OLB and played them equally well. He even showed better pass coverage skills than most thought he would.