PDA

View Full Version : Scouts have harsh criticism for Quinn

KingCrowder
02-12-2007, 08:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=scoutshaveharshcriticism&prov=tsn&type=lgns

The words couldn't be harsher. "He's the biggest fraud in the draft," an NFL scout says of Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn. The scout is not a lone wolf howling into the wind.

The Mountie
02-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Comparing him to Joey Harrington.....that's enough to scare me off!!!

Cannonboy
02-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Eh, what do scouts know.

mbsinmisc
02-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I am by no measure a draft expert, but I think Quinn has bust written over him. He has an average arm and is not at all accurate.

Elliott 1
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Yikes! Maybe Zabransky in the 6th. All he does is WIN. He might be worthless or he might be the next Brett Favre. But a 6th is low risk.

If Quinn slides to us we should trade down.

NorFlaFin
02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
They represent an extreme point of view, but they have studied Quinn's game at close range for years and are part of a growing group of talent evaluators who question his arm strength and accuracy on deep and intermediate routes.

FYI:If google back you find the same criticism of Philip Rivers and Drew Brees.

VT Dolphan
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Good, let his stock drop and hopefully he'll fall right into our laps.

endorPHINS72
02-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow! "An NFL Scout" said this? That does carry a lot of weight! I mean, the opinion "An NFL Scout" is as good as gold.

sleek
02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Maybe the scouts want him on their teams so they are trying to get other teams to pass on him by saying he sucks.

Geforce
02-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Comments about arm strength are bound to come out especially when that QB doesn't have a cannon for an arm. The same comments came out about Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

IMO this is just pre-draft bs.

retarmyfinfan
02-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Comments about arm strength are bound to come out especially when that QB doesn't have a cannon for an arm. The same comments came out about Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

I agree. A lot what said about Cutler, too. Our scouting team will know what they are looking at. Anybody else doesn't matter.

PhinGeneral
02-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Those of us who are old enough remember the scouts ripping apart a QB prospect because he couldn't read defenses and "pushed" the ball instead of throwing it. Combined with some unsubstantiated character questions his stock slid and he would up being drafted near the end of round 1. His name was Dan Marino or something like that. :D

Moral of the story- Scouts make mistakes.

twanderer
02-12-2007, 10:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=scoutshaveharshcriticism&prov=tsn&type=lgns

OUCH!!:sidelol:

RonnieB23
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Smoke screen alert !!!!

NYinBostonFin
02-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Good, let him fall to #9.

finfan75
02-12-2007, 10:27 AM
And Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. The scouts don't know crap. Aparently alot of coaches don't either.

tay0365
02-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Yea, and also in the 1983 draft, that kid from Pitt (I believe his last name is Marino), teams need to stay away from him, he had a very inconsistent Senior year, takes too many risks, throws too many Ints, and there is a very good possibility that he has a strong drug problem. :rolleyes:

Hope teams listened to this Expert or Scout, because they are rarely wrong (Those were obviously not his exact words, but very close to what his thoughts were at that time).

With Cameron's background with working with QBs, I am sure that at the combines, he is going to have all the infor on most of the QBs, and will make the right decision.

tmny99
02-12-2007, 11:11 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Pocoloco
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
yeh, and these are the same sorts of geniuses that dropped Marino down the draft board, and swore the Vince Young would never ever do well in the NFL.

Piker
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
And Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. The scouts don't know crap. Aparently alot of coaches don't either.
Tom brady never had much playing time...

Crowder52
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
This cycle we get into is so lame. If a scout says something we don't like about a player, everyone says the same things like "these are the guys who dropped (fill in the blank)" or "(fill in the blank) was a (fill in the round) pick, obviously scouts don't know what they are talking about!"

If we agree with a scout, however, we say "these guys know a lot more about this stuff than we do" or "these guys get paid to do this...but I guess you know more than they do (sarcasm)."

Motion
02-12-2007, 12:24 PM
This cycle we get into is so lame. If a scout says something we don't like about a player, everyone says the same things like "these are the guys who dropped (fill in the blank)" or "(fill in the blank) was a (fill in the round) pick, obviously scouts don't know what they are talking about!"

If we agree with a scout, however, we say "these guys know a lot more about this stuff than we do" or "these guys get paid to do this...but I guess you know more than they do (sarcasm)."

Pretty sad indeed.

IluvJuMiami
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Those of us who are old enough remember the scouts ripping apart a QB prospect because he couldn't read defenses and "pushed" the ball instead of throwing it. Combined with some unsubstantiated character questions his stock slid and he would up being drafted near the end of round 1. His name was Dan Marino or something like that. :D

Moral of the story- Scouts make mistakes.

That was no mistake baby, that was destiny.

Rubbin420
02-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Some people have no idea what they are talking about.
Howz this for not accurate. He improved every year. over 30 TDs and 7 picks a year for 2 years. Tell this scout to kiss my cuban ars.

2003157332183147.35.52859151393.522004191353258654.17.3354171025125.872005292450391964.98.718032720158.402006289467342661.97.346237731146.65

paulomac77
02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
how can anybody say quinn is inaccurate? over the last 2 seasons in the spotlight quinn has thrown 69 touchdowns and only 14 interceptions on 852 attempts... a lot of people watn to judge him on the michigan game from this year when he had 3 picks but the first one hit off the recievers face mask and bopped into the air, the next he was hit by Alan branch as he threw and that got intercepted, and then in the 4th quarter leon hall made the defensive play of the game when he dove in front of a quinn pass making a diving interception... also i dont want to hear that notre dames schedule was weak this year b/c he somehow managed to get sacked 30 times this year, proving that his O Line was just awful this season and even last year

Rubbin420
02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Better yet heres the link. And tell that scout to kiss my cuban ars again!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329

Motion
02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Some people have no idea what they are talking about.
Howz this for not accurate. He improved every year. over 30 TDs and 7 picks a year for 2 years. Tell this scout to kiss my cuban ars.

2003157332183147.35.52859151393.522004191353258654.17.3354171025125.872005292450391964.98.718032720158.402006289467342661.97.346237731146.65

:hmmm: Thanks

DefensiveEnd#76
02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't want a QB who chokes in big games. Therefore I don't want Quinn!!!!

paulomac77
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
u mean the big games where he was blitzed on nearly every play from the second quarter on and the defense couldnt stop anybody, Charlie weis didnt call the fake punt on the teams first possession b/c quinn was gonna choke, he did it b/c the defense couldnt stop anybody

phinphanforever
02-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm not sold on Quinn either. I cannot understand why is rated so high, although I'm sure playing for ND and all the exposure that comes with that gig din't hurt. Trythfully, I think Russell is the only Qb worth taking in the first, and he'll likely be long gone by the time the Phins pick.
I think using a first on Quinn would be a real shame.

FinAtic8480
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Thats alright Cameron will turn him into Pro Bowler, just keep talking your stuff and make sure that the other 31 teams think he sucks as long as he comes to Miami. Quinn will be there for the taking come Draft day. We got one good thing in our favor Mueller and Cameron. Mueller has been known for having an eye for QB's. He had at one point Brooks,Delhome, and Bulger in NO..... Cameron has develope two QBs into Pro Bowlers... If Quinn has what it takes and falls to us, Mueller and Cameron will know what to do.

NoVaDolfan
02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
we are always going to find scouts who think he is good and some scouts that think he will suck in the NFL. We just need to trust Cam's and Randy's judgement.

jlfin
02-12-2007, 03:10 PM

ND choked in big games, not BQ. BTW how many "big games" did Peyton Manning win at Tenn.? How many times did he beat Florida?
For that matter, how many big games did Jay Cutler win at Vandy? How about Tom Brady at Michigan? How about McNabb at Syracuse? How about Favre at Miss St.?

Jersey54
02-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Good, let his stock drop and hopefully he'll fall right into our laps.

Yep, I'll take him at 9.

RonnieB23
02-12-2007, 03:29 PM
For the Quinn basher : http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/asknfldc/020907.html

SweetLou
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Please, please, please lord. Let the Brady Quinn talk stop. The guy folds like paper when under pressure. We don't need a pretty boy/panzy, we need a REAL leader with some toughness.

Geforce
02-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Please, please, please lord. Let the Brady Quinn talk stop. The guy folds like paper when under pressure. We don't need a pretty boy/panzy, we need a REAL leader with some toughness.

Then whom do you suggest?

Finsfan1984
02-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Well therefore I guess we should just base the concept of drafting the QB's who only win and dont lose...U know draft QB's like Danny Weurfel,(I think that's right), Ken Dorsey, QB's like that who dont CHOKE!!!!

By all means lets not take into account their athletic ability, arm strength, accuracy, toughness, mental toughness, ability to make quick decisions, ability to read the defense, the talent surrounding them, leadership ability, charisma, the type of offense they played in, their coaching pedigree...No way, we should never consider these items!!!

This is the most rediculous thing i have heard...I believe the argument of not winning the big game, or choking in the big game, was an inaccurate and unfair label assessed to our very own Dan Marino!!!

Give me a break!!!:shakeno:

Todd347347
02-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Well therefore I guess we should just base the concept of drafting the QB's who only win and dont lose...U know draft QB's like Danny Weurfel,(I think that's right), Ken Dorsey, QB's like that who dont CHOKE!!!!

By all means lets not take into account their athletic ability, arm strength, accuracy, toughness, mental toughness, ability to make quick decisions, ability to read the defense, the talent surrounding them, leadership ability, charisma, the type of offense they played in, their coaching pedigree...No way, we should never consider these items!!!

This is the most rediculous thing i have heard...I believe the argument of not winning the big game, or choking in the big game, was an inaccurate and unfair label assessed to our very own Dan Marino!!!

Give me a break!!!:shakeno:

How was that marino lable inaccurate?

Finsfan1984
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
[quote=Finsfan1984;1061793798]

Because you have to take into consideration the team, supporting cast around Marino, just as you do every other QB, or any other player for that matter. Was doug williams, dilfer, simms, or bob griese better QB's than Dan, No!! They all happen to have played on better teams.

Even the great Joe Montana lost some big games in his career, just happens that he got a chance to play in big games every year, and Dan didn't.

This same label was put on Elway until his last two years, and also Peyton until now!!!

THAT'S HOW IT'S INACCURATE!!:D

Finsfan1984
02-12-2007, 04:33 PM
The point is one person can't do it on his own. It takes a complete team. However, if two teams are equal or close to being equal, then the team with the better QB has an advantage. Of course with football, there are also so many variables which come into play.

I like Quinn, have watched him for 4 years, and i have seen a QB grow each and every year, and he really took off with some good coaching. I like his physical and mental abilities, as well as his charisma and leadership abilities. And contradictory to others beliefs, I like his toughness at the end of games, and his ability to brush off bad plays.

ashraf-23
02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I was just about to say :D

Regan21286
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Exactly.

Please, Joey Harrington? Quinn had great coaching in a pro-style offense by a guy who's won Super Bowls while Harrington had to suffer with Tedford, a coach who's notorious for stunting a QB's true potential in the pros under a works-well-in-college-only system. Pretty much most of the good QB's in this league were criticized for their arm strength (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Rivers, Brees, heck even Leinart and Young). And a QB with a cannon arm? Ryan Leaf anyone?

DonShula84
02-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking. These scouts could be right, or the ones who say Quinn is the real deal could be right. None of us know, and neither do they. We'll find out soon enough though.

phinphan896
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
i agree. if hes comparable to Joey Harrington then i dont want him

Finsfan1984
02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking. These scouts could be right, or the ones who say Quinn is the real deal could be right. None of us know, and neither do they. We'll find out soon enough though.

True!!! You never know, all you can go on is ability, everyone has different opinions, heck even coaches and scouts with the same team usually don't agree. Who are we to judge. But I do feel that saying he will be a bust this early on, with what he has done, and his overall abilities is saying a bit much!!

tay0365
02-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Your knocking Brady Quinn, yet you have a Draft SYVELLE NEWTON Signiture? :confused:

Isn't the guy like 5'11 or something, No thank you I would rather have a player with Quinn's talent over Newton.

nighttrain76
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I am by no measure a draft expert, but I think Quinn has bust written over him. He has an average arm and is not at all accurate.

I would rather draft a QB later in the draft. Quinn IS NOT the answer:fire:

tay0365
02-12-2007, 05:58 PM
[quote=Finsfan1984;1061793798]

If you do not know, then you will never understand.

DonShula84
02-12-2007, 06:32 PM

To say Quinn doesnt have toughness is basically to admit that you never watched him play.

Finsfan1984
02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
To say Quinn doesnt have toughness is basically to admit that you never watched him play.

Yes in deed, Quinn is the epitemy of toughness, thats one of his best qualities.:happydrin

Finsfan1984
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I would rather draft a QB later in the draft. Quinn IS NOT the answer:fire:

Quinn isnt the answer, but someone whom has graded out lower than Quinn is the answer? Hmm?:shakeno:

Mike13
02-12-2007, 07:29 PM
don't want a QB who chokes in big games. Therefore I don't want Quinn!!!!

The same thing was siad about Manning. Brees was criticised so was Rivers. Montana was criticized, so was Marino.

The list goes on. at least you have some arguement against Quinn alot of people here just knock him and run.

phins3454
02-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I garantee that Brady Quinn will have a better career in the NFL than Jamarcus Russel and Vince Young!

Crowder52
02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I garantee that Brady Quinn will have a better career in the NFL than Jamarcus Russel and Vince Young!

Good, now I can sleep well tonight.

DolphanD
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I just watched Path To The Draft on NFL network and Mike Mayock said he watched hours and hours of coaches film on both the top 2 QBs and he said the only knock on Brady Quinn is sometimes accuracy and knowing when to deliver the ball. He said his arm strength was fine and that he has, at this point, a better work ethic than Russell, but Russell is the guy with an arm Mayock's never seen at the college level but his problems are work ethic, and also knowing when to deliver the ball and accuracy.

So if either of these guys, I'd prefer Quinn, falls to us there should be no question that we select him. And as for the article which compared Quinn to Harrington, Mayock compared Quinn to Brady (EDIT: that's Tom Brady). So take what these guys say with a grain of salt...But I would love to have Brady Quinn on the Dolphins team as Franchise QB of the Future. Hell if Daunte does no better and Lemon/Harrington don't jump out, Brady could be our QB of 2007. Mayock did say he is the most NFL-ready QB in the draft by far and he's already played in a pro-style offense.

OneHondo
02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Man it would have been interesting if Finheaven existed when Marino was drafted. All the bad press he was getting at the time and the fact he fell all the way to the 27th pick. I can imagine some of the comments that would have been made on here.
Quinn has good statistics, low interception numbers and good completion percentages and he has a very good QB rating. Football is a team game and because ND lost some big games you can't put all the blame on the QB. Jay Cutler lost some big games at Vandy so should he be labeled a bust and he folds like paper, etc,etc.

DolphanD
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I would even trade up to grab Brady Quinn. We need a Franchise QB of the Future. Everyone knows it and everyone posts it and this is our chance to get one.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM

hmmm, why the comparison to 2 black QB's?

I can "guarantee" that you know even less about who will succeed than you do about spelling

Regan21286
02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Man it would have been interesting if Finheaven existed when Marino was drafted. All the bad press he was getting at the time and the fact he fell all the way to the 27th pick. I can imagine some of the comments that would have been made on here.
Quinn has good statistics, low interception numbers and good completion percentages and he has a very good QB rating. Football is a team game and because ND lost some big games you can't put all the blame on the QB. Jay Cutler lost some big games at Vandy so should he be labeled a bust and he folds like paper, etc,etc.

They'd probably find some way to slam Marino and wish we'd have drafted a RB like Johnny Hector. Maybe that he was a pothead or all the scouts were down on him or he never won the big game, etc.

Geforce
02-13-2007, 12:50 AM
I just watched Path To The Draft on NFL network and Mike Mayock said he watched hours and hours of coaches film on both the top 2 QBs and he said the only knock on Brady Quinn is sometimes accuracy and knowing when to deliver the ball. He said his arm strength was fine and that he has, at this point, a better work ethic than Russell, but Russell is the guy with an arm Mayock's never seen at the college level but his problems are work ethic, and also knowing when to deliver the ball and accuracy.

So if either of these guys, I'd prefer Quinn, falls to us there should be no question that we select him. And as for the article which compared Quinn to Harrington, Mayock compared Quinn to Brady (EDIT: that's Tom Brady). So take what these guys say with a grain of salt...But I would love to have Brady Quinn on the Dolphins team as Franchise QB of the Future. Hell if Daunte does no better and Lemon/Harrington don't jump out, Brady could be our QB of 2007. Mayock did say he is the most NFL-ready QB in the draft by far and he's already played in a pro-style offense.

Mayock came to this conclusion by watching COACHES FILM on both QBs? Hmmm.

Enforcerfin33
02-13-2007, 09:41 AM
They'd probably find some way to slam Marino and wish we'd have drafted a RB like Johnny Hector. Maybe that he was a pothead or all the scouts were down on him or he never won the big game, etc.
We could have had Johnny Hector, over Marino, the JOHNNY HECTOR!!!???:sidelol: :sidelol:

jlfin
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Mayock came to this conclusion by watching COACHES FILM on both QBs? Hmmm.

Mayock does his research. I'm pretty sure he's spoken to people within the LSU and ND programs.

Tureo
02-15-2007, 01:00 AM
yeh, and these are the same sorts of geniuses that dropped Marino down the draft board, and swore the Vince Young would never ever do well in the NFL.
Why are we now comparing Quinn to Marino? If the coaches feel we should draft him then I support him 100%. However, I have reservations of my own regarding Quinn. No one can call him a sure HOF QB. If we draft him, let's root for him but let's not get carried away.

neuce
02-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure on Quinn but if he's there at #9 I hope we take him.

I think Russell is going to be a huge bust in the NFL. He makes anyone's all underwear team but if you watched him play this year he's not very accurate or smart with the football and yet he may go #1 in the draft.

He may end up making people forget Ryan Leaf.

Geforce
02-17-2007, 12:21 AM

I think Russell is going to be a huge bust in the NFL. He makes anyone's all underwear team but if you watched him play this year he's not very accurate or smart with the football and yet he may go #1 in the draft.

Based on this statement, I don't think you have watched Russell very much this year. There is no way a QB can complete nearly 68% of his passes and not be very accurate.

2413fanphins
02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuce http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?p=1061810219#post1061810219)

Based on this statement, I don't think you have watched Russell very much this year. There is no way a QB can complete nearly 68% of his passes and not be very accurate.

My sentiments exactly. wow what a misguided statement.
:rolleyes2