PDA

View Full Version : Schottenheimer Fired - Mergedx3

Dolfan99847
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Espnews breaking news box reports Marty has been fired by the Chargers looks like there going to have a hard off-season getting there coaching staff in order

Dolphins12thMan
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Nm

Dolphins12thMan
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Mods please move, ment to post in General....Sorry!:goof:

Dolphin1184
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM
:shakeno:

Vertical Limit
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
:shakeno: Wow, just wow.

They lost Cam Cameran, Wade Phillips. And now they fire the head coach? Wow. :shakeno: That team is a mess.

Watch players migrate in different places because of this. Don't be surprised if Marty ends up in Dallas or Miami as assistant head coach or coordinator. With Garrett in Dallas, chances are Miami is the likely choice.

spydertl79
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Is it too late to change our mind about Cameron?

phinphan896
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
we should have waited

phinphanforever
02-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Link?

Celtkin
Link?

and...what does this have to do with the Dolphins?

Cool Calm Mike
San Diego is having a real tough off-season.

phinphanforever
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Link????

nighttrain76
it's on ESPN News under Breaking News

Hamilton23
I Think He Wants Him As OC.

Vertical Limit
02-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Watch players migrate in different places because of this. Don't be surprised if Marty ends up in Dallas or Miami as assistant head coach or coordinator. With Garrett in Dallas, chances are Miami is the likely choice.

Dolphins12thMan
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Link?

and...what does this have to do with the Dolphins?

Absolutely nothing, thats why I asked it to be moved!

KFFL
Chargers | Schottenheimer fired
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:59:33 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the San Diego Chargers have fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer

phinphanforever
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Link is here...

http://espn.go.com/

phinphanforever
02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Here's a link

http://espn.go.com/

dreday
02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
That is some pretty interesting news...Where will Marty ball go now?

PerfectFinz72
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I know they didnt get it done in the playoffs, but thats rough gettting canned after a 14-2 season. I guess he really didn't get along with AJ Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

AccordOn13z
Shocking stuff... i smell a assistant head coach or offensive coordinator... (even though hes a little too conservative)... Cameron said that he wont hire a OCoor. until he finds one that is better then him... well BINGO there he is as if a sign from the man upstairs... LOL j/k he aint coming down here... to bad for the cowboys they just signed a Coach...lol i wanna see where he ends up... if he decides to take a year off that means that if stuff dont work out with Cameron he'll be our reserve...

phinphanforever
San Diego is having a real tough off-season.
No kidding. They just lost their HC, OC and DC in less than a month.

PrepDogg
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
WTF? They're screwed now

dolphinsfan69
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I never thought about this.... but how about Pete Carroll? You never know with all this crap going on with USC and recruiting violations.

Aqua and Orange
02-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Whoa!!!

MischiefDolphin
02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm shocked.

You can't blame Marty for that loss against new england.

Poor LT.

phinphanforever
02-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I never thought about this.... but how about Pete Carroll? You never know with all this crap going on with USC and recruiting violations.
I was just thinking the same thing. It would be an idela situation for Carroll if he wanted to come back to the NFL. Even better than Miami. He'll be paid well, will inherit a talented AND young team and won't have to move the family too far. I wonder what it's like, however, working with A Smith...

captaink62
I know they didnt get it done in the playoffs, but thats rough gettting canned after a 14-2 season. I guess he really didn't get along with AJ Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

The GM probably wanted him to fire key coaching personnel and he refused. Nonetheless, that is a messed up way to run a team.

phillyphinphan
wow...that's messed up why now...they could have let him go when there we hc openings....most likely a personal issue with aj...

bluehaze
02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
That has to be the dumbest move in the history of football lol. Kind of late to be firing your HC, who the hell are they gonna get to replace him?

gish
02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
you know what, this is kinda what i thought might happen, after losing almost everyone else on that staff, Marty was pretty much the only guy left, i figured that they might decide to just complete the package and overhaul the whole coaching staff. Why replace everyone except the head coach when he is already under scrutiny to begin with? This is a good move for SD, sucks for marty though.

Marty to Cleveland? Maybe as OC this time?

IluvJuMiami
02-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I like Cam Cam and all but it's official, the Miami Dolphins are cursed.

Miami 13
02-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Wow, I am truly shocked.

redpitsea
02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Thats what I was thinking. Any chance of Marty coming to Miami to be the OC for a year since were having troubles finding one? Doubtful but you never know right?

Kev83
02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
you know what, this is kinda what i thought might happen, after losing almost everyone else on that staff, Marty was pretty much the only guy left, i figured that they might decide to just complete the package and overhaul the whole coaching staff. Why replace everyone except the head coach when he is already under scrutiny to begin with? This is a good move for SD, sucks for marty though.

Marty to Cleveland? Maybe as OC this time?
Cam and Marty reunite in Miami!
Cam as OC.

That'd be nice.

painnotpleasure
02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I am speechless, loss of speech. My opinion, no chance Marty takes less than a Head Coaching job. Will anybody fire their coach just to pick up Marty?? I mean where could he go unless he takes a year off or retires? And who's San Diego going to get... it's not like they could promote Cameron or Phillips now...

IluvJuMiami
02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I doubt the guy would be willing to work under his former OC but that would change our cursed status in a flash.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 10:44 PM
he was fired because he wouldn't take an extension and he lost too many coaches

it is way late in the game, but when you have a lame duck HC and no coordinators it can't get much worse

maybe AJ likes Rivera

FinsAreLife
02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
That has to be the dumbest move in the history of football lol. Kind of late to be firing your HC, who the hell are they gonna get to replace him?

His son :chuckle:

No seriously, that organization is getting really messed up.

SCall13
02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
WOW. That's a damn shock at this point

DWade FaSho
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Dang, now that team has lost everyone on there coaching staff

phishinphin
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I am speechless, loss of speech. My opinion, no chance Marty takes less than a Head Coaching job. Will anybody fire their coach just to pick up Marty?? I mean where could he go unless he takes a year off or retires? And who's San Diego going to get... it's not like they could promote Cameron or Phillips now...

No they can't because they have signed elsewhere already as HCs. I think Marty takes a year off. I have no clue what SD is going to do.

bluehaze
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Depending on how close Cam and Marty were it's not out of the realm of possibility that Marty would come here as OC. San Diego is on the hook to pay him for next year unless he takes another HC job, so if he took the OC job here they would still have to pay him plus he could help Cam out. Not to mention all the HC vacancies have been filled. I would be surprised to see Marty come here as OC but it is plausible when you think about it.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM

it is Marty's fault, he refused the 1-year extension and became a lameduck

EndZone13
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM

How about John Gruden? Thats right up his alley. A tough, run oriented team, young QB, strong OL DL, in the trenches team that could easily be in the Superbowl next yr. Who else? Would Pete Carroll leave for that? Denny Green is out there, Jim Fassel is out there. Norv Turner? I think Gruden would be a coach who would jump if he could. His team looks pretty bad right now.

:dolphins:

bluehaze
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
How about John Gruden? Thats right up his alley. A tough, run oriented team, young QB, strong OL DL, in the trenches team that could easily be in the Superbowl next yr. Who else? Would Pete Carroll leave for that? Denny Green is out there, Jim Fassel is out there. Norv Turner? I think Gruden would be a coach who would jump if he could. His team looks pretty bad right now.

I don't see any prominent coach leaving their present job to take over under these circumstances.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
has a 14-2 team ever lost all its coaches?

bluehaze
02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
it is Marty's fault, he refused the 1-year extension and became a lameduck

LOL I don't blame him for refusing the extension, It was insulting to offer the man a 1 year extension with a buyout clause.

DjChemical
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
well im pissed i didnt really care much about cam and wade leaving but this is bull****.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
LOL I don't blame him for refusing the extension, It was insulting to offer the man a 1 year extension with a buyout clause.

I wish there were some knowledgable fans here

footballer
02-12-2007, 11:02 PM
ok. cant reall y beliecve that. wowsers!.

the guy wins 14 out of 16, and they can him... with ( mYBE parcells) no replacements out there..

oh well. one less team to stand in OUR WAY!!!

LETS GO DOLPHINS!!!!

DjChemical
02-12-2007, 11:02 PM

When the Chargers decided to bring him back, Schottenheimer raised eyebrows by declining the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

Samphin
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM

Uhm, Gruden doesn't really seem to care much for young Qb's. He is the one who brought in Rich Gannon to the Raiders. Gannon was pretty much a journeyman QB until Gruden got ahold of him. Same with Brad Johnson in Tampa Bay, whom Gruden won a championship with. If anything, Gruden would look to bring in a veteran QB.

Joneal7
02-12-2007, 11:06 PM
im speechless ...too bad we got Capers or else hed be a good dcoord guy

DjChemical
Uhm, Gruden doesn't really seem to care much for young Qb's. He is the one who brought in Rich Gannon to the Raiders. Gannon was pretty much a journeyman QB until Gruden got ahold of him. Same with Brad Johnson in Tampa Bay, whom Gruden won a championship with. If anything, Gruden would look to bring in a veteran QB.

If you think they would let anyone come in and bench rivers you are seriously high.

rothshunger
:sidelol: PLEASE INSERT FOOT NOW

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 11:07 PM
When the Chargers decided to bring him back, Schottenheimer raised eyebrows by declining the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

no coach should ever, I mean EVER go into a season in the last year of his contract

AJ wanted Marty gone, the owner wanted him to stay. so they offer him the standard, avoid-the-lame-duck extension(the one that Billick took cuz he knew better)

Marty refuses the extension and his coaches are gone, leaving the chargers no choice

Marty should have either quit or accepted the extension

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 11:08 PM
:sidelol: PLEASE INSERT FOOT NOW

I wasn't wrong, so what are you saying?

paulomac77
02-12-2007, 11:09 PM
If i was pete carroll id take the job if they offered it, by far the best canidate out there and he'd get paid and then he could just go back to college later like nick sabans plan was all along, he'd also dodge the recruiting scandal and any chance of recieving the wrath of it

DjChemical
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
If i was pete carroll id take the job if they offered it, by far the best canidate out there and he'd get paid and then he could just go back to college later like nick sabans plan was all along, he'd also dodge the recruiting scandal and any chance of recieving the wrath of it

Carroll is a garbage NFL coach i would hope the spanos have a clue and dont hire that idiot.

pwn3dyo
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Total shock....After they gave him a one year extension too. Well, i guess the rumors that AJ and martyball didn't talk at all are true....

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:11 PM
so what do you think this will do to the players?
and more importantly what will this do to their chances next year?

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 11:11 PM

good thinking, its a win/win

Carroll doesn't have to move and he inherits the most talented team in the league

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Carroll is a garbage NFL coach i would hope the spanos have a clue and dont hire that idiot.

that's what we all said about Belichek

paulomac77
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
an ever better reason for Dielman to come to Miami!!!

Lisle Phin Fan
02-12-2007, 11:14 PM
an ever better reason for Dielman to come to Miami!!!

too true

Mr.Majestik
02-12-2007, 11:16 PM
unless he had something in mind, and I'd be shocked if it were a guy like Ron Rivera, who was so underwhelming as a candidate that Jerry Jones decided to hire Wade Phillips instead. This team just lost its status as Super Bowl favorite.

ADDiKT
02-12-2007, 11:17 PM
good thinking, its a win/win

Carroll doesn't have to move and he inherits the most talented team in the league

With the McKnight situation at USC and possible sanctions, you never know about Pete Caroll going to SD...

Next year, Parcells, Shottenheimer, Cowher all available... I'm sure that will be an interesting offseason...

musphinzfan
02-12-2007, 11:20 PM
No to MARTY!!

IowaDolfan
02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Too bad this didn't happen a month ago. I would have loved Schottenheimer as coach.

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I wasn't wrong, so what are you saying?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734129

jason8er
02-12-2007, 11:26 PM
With the McKnight situation at USC and possible sanctions, you never know about Pete Caroll going to SD...

Next year, Parcells, Shottenheimer, Cowher all available... I'm sure that will be an interesting offseason...
Wow. Very interesting.

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:27 PM

do you really think parcell's would come back I think he's done for good but it would be interesting next year with shotty and cower and maybe lovie

IowaDolfan
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
do you really think parcell's would come back I think he's done for good but it would be interesting next year with shotty and cower and maybe lovie

Lovie won't be going anywhere. Chicago will get him his deal.

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Lovie won't be going anywhere. Chicago will get him his deal.
they might be looking at cower and that's why lovie hasn't got his deal yet

Samphin
02-12-2007, 11:31 PM

Dude, you live in Dublin? I grew up there. Dublin Gael and all that fun stuff. :lol:

Samphin
02-12-2007, 11:32 PM
If you think they would let anyone come in and bench rivers you are seriously high.

It is part of the reason why Gruden is a terrible fit for San Diego. He tends to favor veteran QB's and has a shorter leash with younger guys.

Enforcerfin33
02-12-2007, 11:34 PM
It is part of the reason why Gruden is a terrible fit for San Diego. He tends to favor veteran QB's and has a shorter leash with younger guys.
Which would put even more credit behind the rumor that TB is after Garcia.

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Dude, you live in Dublin? I grew up there. Dublin Gael and all that fun stuff. :lol:
i grew up in so cal but have lived in the bay area for the past 10 years now

shanem40
it would be funny if we worked under camron but i dont think it will happen

bluehaze
They will probably hire Norv Turner :lol: I think AJ Smith has an affinity for him plus he's worked with alot of those players before.

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:38 PM
They will probably hire Norv Turner :lol: I think AJ Smith has an affinity for him plus he's worked with alot of those players before.
damn that would just kill they niners as they thought they just dodged a bullet with the cowboys getting wade

shanem40
02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Thats what I was thinking. Any chance of Marty coming to Miami to be the OC for a year since were having troubles finding one? Doubtful but you never know right? i dont htink we would under camron but that wuld be funny sortyline

Samphin
02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Which would put even more credit behind the rumor that TB is after Garcia.

Actually, it would. Garcia can run the offense Gruden runs and his worldy view of the league (four teams now) is another trait John likes in his QB's. Not to mention that he can make plays with his feet much like Gannon.

I hadn't thought about it before, but Garcia might be a great fit for Gruden and Tampa Bay. The only thing I see being a detriment is his...uhm, lack of stature...

Samphin
02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
i grew up in so cal but have lived in the bay area for the past 10 years now

Good deal. Where abouts in Dublin? East Dublin or on the older side of town?

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Good deal. Where abouts in Dublin? East Dublin or on the older side of town?
actually i recently moved to san ramon and haven't changed my profile yet

Predaphin
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
What are the Chances Marty comes to us as the OC??? Or maybe the as a consultant? or how about an assistant HC???

Just getting him on this staff to work with Cam would be a good thing.

Da 'Fins
02-12-2007, 11:50 PM
I like Cam Cam and all but it's official, the Miami Dolphins are cursed.

Agreed.

rothshunger
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
What are the Chances Marty comes to us as the OC??? Or maybe the as a consultant? or how about an assistant HC???

to true also getting the chargers perspectives on the draft and who they are looking at would be useful also

Enforcerfin33
02-12-2007, 11:56 PM

That would be one humbling experience for Marty and honestly, one I dont see him making.

Mr.Majestik
02-12-2007, 11:58 PM

Cowher will probably end up in Cleveland. It's widely rumored that the only reason Crennel wasn't canned this year is because the Lerner Family covets Cowher. Cowher played in Cleveland, he coached as an assistant in Cleveland under Marty Schottenheimer, and Cleveland, like Pittsburgh represents what Cowher thinks pro football is--blue collar--plus it doesn't hurt that Phil Savage, the current Browns GM might be thrown under the bus with Crennel to give Cowher ultimate control, something that isn't going to happen in places like San Diego, or Chicago, or even Carolina, or New York, the other potential coaching jobs Cowher is linked to.

Dors156
02-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Wow slightly suprising

Enforcerfin33
Cowher will probably end up in Cleveland. It's widely rumored that the only reason Crennel wasn't canned this year is because the Lerner Family covets Cowher. Cowher played in Cleveland, he coached as an assistant in Cleveland under Marty Schottenheimer, and Cleveland, like Pittsburgh represents what Cowher thinks pro football is--blue collar--plus it doesn't hurt that Phil Savage, the current Browns GM might be thrown under the bus with Crennel to give Cowher ultimate control, something that isn't going to happen in places like San Diego, or Chicago, or even Carolina, or New York, the other potential coaching jobs Cowher is linked to.
Him going to Brown country would NOT sit well with Steeler faithful.

dahlmarino
Maybe they can lure Nick Saban away from Alabama.

rothshunger
02-13-2007, 12:02 AM
but is clevland willing to pony up the cash or are they going to try and be cheap

playmaker1
02-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Thats crazy. I didn't see that coming after everything. I guess both of his assitants left, so they knew he was in trouble.

Mike13
02-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Yeah that would be like Shula coaching the Jets.

This is a total shocker.

WestCKoastiN
02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
if this happened any earlier we might of ended up with him.

Crunkcore
02-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm shocked by the move.

rothshunger
02-13-2007, 12:16 AM
if this happened any earlier we might of ended up with him.
yeah such a total lack of respect for marty for them to do this to him this late after all the hc jobs are gone and to have all his ideas on the draft and to tell the media and everyone else that it was his job still and that they couldn't see going into the season with anyone else but him.
damn sorry for the long sentence :lol:

tylerdolphin
02-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Think about it....The Chargers wouldnt fire Marty unless someone else is "in place" because it is so close to the combine and all that. Of course they will interview their minority candidate as a formality, but I think Carroll already has agreed to coach in SD.

realdolphin
02-13-2007, 12:23 AM
the bolts lost a very close game to the pats ..the pats are the most experienced team in playoffs and even the colts had an incredible rough time with them . I remember some colts praying including manning in the last 1 minute drive the pats had . sooooo ....how the heck you fire your head coach when you get so close to pass over the pats and have a shot at the SB?? ...they were really close ...and next year they´d be even closer . this has to be one of the dumbest decisions in the last decade in the nfl .

SuperFinsFan83
02-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I Think He Wants Him As OC.

I was under the impression Marty was a "defensive-minded" guy? Was he not the Browns DC before becoming their HC?

Mr.Majestik
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
but is clevland willing to pony up the cash or are they going to try and be cheap

Money hasn't really been an issue in Cleveland, the Lerners are one of the richest ownerships in the league, what has been an issue is competence. They originally brought in Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark to run the front office, and hired a stiff like Chris Palmer to be the head coach, then it was Butch Davis, who they paid a lot of money to, they've shelled out a large fortune to free agents and high draft picks over the years and have gotten no return on their money. The natives are getting restless. The Browns have to do something spectacular soon, because after another season of Romeo Crennel (who looks so out of his depth you almost feel sorry for the man), the Dawg Pound will be in a full-blown insurrection. Another non-descript coaching hire will not fly, they've done everything--hire a respected assistant, hire a hot college coach, hire a Super Bowl-winning coordinator, hire a respected general manager, and nothing has worked. Cowher has far more professional connections to Cleveland then he ever had to Pittsburgh before he was hired there. There is a natural symmetry to it. Cowher will need to go to a place that can pay his asking price, and give him the control he wants.

realdolphin
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM

hey nice offerdahl and zack pics !!!!

Mr.Majestik
02-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Think about it....The Chargers wouldnt fire Marty unless someone else is "in place" because it is so close to the combine and all that. Of course they will interview their minority candidate as a formality, but I think Carroll already has agreed to coach in SD.

Carroll supposedly wants total control over a franchise, and whoever A.J. Smith hires will be under his tight control. Chris Mortenson said on ESPN radio that Smith wants significant input on whoever the HC hires on his staff. This rules out any noted veteran coach.

kegman
02-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Carroll supposedly wants total control over a franchise, and whoever A.J. Smith hires will be under his tight control. Chris Mortenson said on ESPN radio that Smith wants significant input on whoever the HC hires on his staff. This rules out any noted veteran coach.
After doing marty like this rules out alot of other coaches. Enbody else think that maybe they waited so long to fire just to keep him from going elsewhere?? AJ smith must really hate him. I always thought marty was a defence first guy too. I wonder if marty would be an assistant GM for us. someone to help randy out

Rich
02-13-2007, 01:28 AM
I'd fire Smith, without a blink of an eye, not Marty. What Morons. I see 4-12 for the chargers next year. I also see an exodus of their remaining coaching staff coming.

Mr.Majestik
02-13-2007, 01:53 AM
I'd fire Smith, without a blink of an eye, not Marty. What Morons. I see 4-12 for the chargers next year. I also see an exodus of their remaining coaching staff coming.

Without A.J. Smith the Chargers would be in no position to contend for a Super Bowl. They had already lost four of their top assistants anyway. The impetus for this move was probably because Smith realized that a lame duck coach like Schottenheimer was not going to be able to attract the sort of candidates that would be necessary to make up for losses on the staff. It's also interesting to note that it was Schottenheimer who supposedly gave two of his key assistants permission to interview for jobs he had no obligation to allow. He couldn't stop Phillips, or Cameron, but he lost three other assistants to Cleveland, San Fran and Miami, moves that could have been prevented by Marty Nice Guy if he was overly concerned with maintaining his staff.

DeathStar
02-13-2007, 02:15 AM
thank god this move was made now. we dont the world's biggest choker.

and no one has pointed out why this move was made:
the GM smith and HC marty weren't talking and were basically enemies of each other.

it got to a point where one had to go and the president fired the coach. great move on his part. the GM got the players but the coach couldn't coach when it mattered.

Roman529
02-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Espnews breaking news box reports Marty has been fired by the Chargers looks like there going to have a hard off-season getting there coaching staff in order

Damn, I just heard the news.....I knew the GM hated him. :rolleyes:

Dtronic
02-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Wow and after their whole coaching staff left.

The names I see being talked about for HC on their boards are funny.

Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, Parcells - No way for obvious reasons.
Turner - wrong offense
Carrol - best recruiting year yet with great class coming back.

They might get Mariucci or Rivera (but the 4-3), but I have a feeling their fans will be dissapointed, even the ones that hate Martyball.

I suspect they have someone lined up already, otherwise this is insane.

finmann
02-13-2007, 09:29 PM
No way would I have let Marty go.

phinphanforever
02-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Without A.J. Smith the Chargers would be in no position to contend for a Super Bowl. They had already lost four of their top assistants anyway. The impetus for this move was probably because Smith realized that a lame duck coach like Schottenheimer was not going to be able to attract the sort of candidates that would be necessary to make up for losses on the staff. It's also interesting to note that it was Schottenheimer who supposedly gave two of his key assistants permission to interview for jobs he had no obligation to allow. He couldn't stop Phillips, or Cameron, but he lost three other assistants to Cleveland, San Fran and Miami, moves that could have been prevented by Marty Nice Guy if he was overly concerned with maintaining his staff.
If that was the case then don't you think he should have thought things out before they offered that contract to Marty? Seriously dude, what Smith and the owner did was absolutely ridiculous. If they didn't want Marty then they should have fired him right away. They offered an assinine contract and expected him to sign only to then decide to fire him.
This has nothing to do with whether you feel Marty is a good coach or not. The point is that the Chargers front office should have known.

phinphanforever
02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow and after their whole coaching staff left.

The names I see being talked about for HC on their boards are funny.

Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, Parcells - No way for obvious reasons.
Turner - wrong offense
Carrol - best recruiting year yet with great class coming back.

They might get Mariucci or Rivera (but the 4-3), but I have a feeling their fans will be dissapointed, even the ones that hate Martyball.

I suspect they have someone lined up already, otherwise this is insane.
At this point, unless they go college, Ryan in Baltimore is the only one that makes sense.

In_Flames
02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
from kffl:

Chargers | Zimmer to interview
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:18:41 -0800
Updating a previous report, Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the San Diego Chargers will interview Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer regarding their head coaching vacancy, according to an NFL source. Zimmer, who had spent the last seven years as the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, was recently hired in the same capacity with the Falcons this year.