PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Rice

SpencerFS
02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I think the combine will help everyone realize that Sidney Rice is a valid number 9 pick. He had two 1,000 yard plus seasons while switching quarterbacks multiple times and they were horrible. I’m hoping Sidney Rice has a good combine i think he is very underrated IMO and has amazing hands he will catch anything around him sort of like Chad Johnson. He runs a good 40 and he could def be a good choice at the number 9 pick he is more explosive then Jarret and a good red zone target at 6, 4 with 13 Td’s in a season and isn’t scared to go up the middle and take that big hit. The only negative is he doesn’t always run the best routes but that can be fixed. What do you all think the only reason he doesn’t get as much attention as Jarret and Ginn is because he is at a smaller program

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=169717

IcwpbFbHimg

jason8er
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I think the combine will help everyone realize that Sidney Rice is a valid number 9 pick. He had two 1,000 yard plus seasons while switching quarterbacks multiple times and they were horrible. I’m hoping Sidney Rice has a good combine i think he is very underrated IMO and has amazing hands he will catch anything around him sort of like Chad Johnson. He runs a good 40 and he could def be a good choice at the number 9 pick he is more explosive then Jarret and a good red zone target at 6, 4 with 13 Td’s in a season and isn’t scared to go up the middle and take that big hit. The only negative is he doesn’t always run the best routes but that can be fixed. What do you all think the only reason he doesn’t get as much attention as Jarret and Ginn is because he is at a smaller program

IcwpbFbHimg
Being a Gamecock here in South Carolina, I'm probably the biggest Rice fan here. I don't think he's worth a #9 to us, but he's very close. He's a very special player who not only made his QB's look real good, but was used as a decoy much of the time. I remember so many times as a freshman, how we all knew (including the defense) that it was going to go to Rice, and they still couldn't stop him. We are talking about a real good kid here too. He loves and understands football much like a Donte Whitner and Zach Thomas. He's tall, deceptively fast, catches nicely with his hands, and comes down with it in traffic. This kid is no Troy Williamson, he's the real deal.

Finsfan79
02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Just To Say No To Steve Spurrier Wide Recievers!

FINSFAN2781
02-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Rice is a good draft choice. The guy can flat out play. Def worth consideration.

jason8er
02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
He's a Lou Holtz wide reciever.

Finsfan79
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Rice is a good draft choice. The guy can flat out play. Def worth consideration.

He is a nice end of 1st, early 2nd round pick. But not a top 10 choice in this draft, he is far too raw.

SpencerFS
02-13-2007, 12:05 PM
i hope we can trade down and pick him up

FINSFAN2781
02-13-2007, 12:06 PM
He is a nice end of 1st, early 2nd round pick. But not a top 10 choice in this draft, he is far too raw.

That could be true, but how sweet would it be if Quinn falls to us at #9 and we draft Rice in the 2nd. We have a young QB to WR combo.

Crowder52
02-13-2007, 12:07 PM
He's a Lou Holtz wide reciever.

:huh:

jason8er
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
:huh:
Lou Holtz recruited him out of Gaffney High in '03-'04.

DolphanD
02-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I love Dwayne Bowe. Reminds me of Boldin. A big, physical guy who can get the tough yards.

NoVaDolfan
02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
as long as he is the best available at the time I am fine with it. we could definitely use some receiving help. The only thing that worries me with receivers is me first guys. sometimes they tend to get big heads when they leave college and then become busts.... (freddie mitchell).

Crowder52
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Lou Holtz recruited him out of Gaffney High in '03-'04.

Oh ok. I don't think he meant WR's recruited by Spurrier, but WR's who played under Spurrier and thus would have inlfated receiving stats.

uga3406
02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
i love to see ginn be taken at 9 if quinn isnt still there...didnt see rice play all that much but i hear he could be steal of the draft

VT Dolphan
02-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I'd be thrilled to get him in the second which seems highly unlikely. He would be a major reach at nine, so unless we traded down, I don't see it happening.

kashbo

LMFAO Referring to Darius thompson

jason8er
Oh ok. I don't think he meant WR's recruited by Spurrier, but WR's who played under Spurrier and thus would have inlfated receiving stats.
Got it. Amazingly though, Spurrier instead used him as a decoy alot. I hate to use the Paul Warfield analogy here, but Rice just being on the field this last year often took an extra DB outta the picture, and Spurrier took full advantage.

Crowder52
02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Got it. Amazingly though, Spurrier instead used him as a decoy alot. I hate to use the Paul Warfield analogy here, but Rice just being on the field this last year often took an extra DB outta the picture, and Spurrier took full advantage.

Maybe that explains why his numbers were down this year, although I guess he came on strong towards the second half of the season. I still have nightmares about what he did to UF as a redshirt freshman. :boohoo:

jason8er
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe that explains why his numbers were down this year, although I guess he came on strong towards the second half of the season. I still have nightmares about what he did to UF as a redshirt freshman. :boohoo:
I don't think anyone was prepared for Sidney Rice as a freshman. Not even us fans here. :lol:

GatorsFins23
02-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Rice is a very good player, but he does seem like a bit of a reach at 9. If by some miracle he falls to the 2nd round, though...by all means snap him up (I'd even be open to trading up a few spots in the 2nd, or even back into the low 1st to grab him).

Phinphanatic13
02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I am a Gamecock fan and season ticket holder. One of the great things about Rice is that he is a great kid and works extremely hard to get better. Never complains about passes being thrown his way and is a team first guy. His hands are amazing, has deceptive moves for YAC, and can go up and get a ball with anybody. I'll be real interested in his 40 yard time and I think some people will be surprised by it. Not sure about him at 9 but I would love for him to be a Dolphins. Naturally, I am little biased :)

Phinphanatic13
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't think anyone was prepared for Sidney Rice as a freshman. Not even us fans here. :lol:

Exactly right. He went from nobody to superstar in about 2 games. He came out of nowhere.

Phinphanatic13
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM

He had to play this year with Syvelle Newton at QB as well. That was a major reason his numbers don't look as impressive. As soon as Blake Mitchell was back in the starting line up, he started to dominate games again.

Minibull
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM

Heh, I'm still having bad flashbacks to the SC-UT game his freshman year. SC had -no- other decent WR so everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball when their QB dropped back. They kept hitting him on quick slants for 6-8 yards and when the UT defense tried to take them away, they ran him on a downfield post for great yardage. He ended up with 150+ yards and a TD - even though the D keyed on him!

Completely awesome job he did in that game, showing hands, speed, and moves.

Now his second year in the game versus UT, Newton wouldn't throw to him. Weird.

alen1
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I am a Gamecock fan and season ticket holder. One of the great things about Rice is that he is a great kid and works extremely hard to get better. Never complains about passes being thrown his way and is a team first guy. His hands are amazing, has deceptive moves for YAC, and can go up and get a ball with anybody. I'll be real interested in his 40 yard time and I think some people will be surprised by it. Not sure about him at 9 but I would love for him to be a Dolphins. Naturally, I am little biased :)

yea im not a ticket holder but i have watched a lot of the televised games of SC and i agree with you. i would b happy with him at nine because hes a stud reciever

Phinphanatic13
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM

I was at that game :) Probably the biggest USC win I have ever been to - and maybe in the programs not-so-storied-tradition. Helped make up for the Black Out Massacre in '01.

Phinphanatic13
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Heh, I'm still having bad flashbacks to the SC-UT game his freshman year. SC had -no- other decent WR so everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball when their QB dropped back. They kept hitting him on quick slants for 6-8 yards and when the UT defense tried to take them away, they ran him on a downfield post for great yardage. He ended up with 150+ yards and a TD - even though the D keyed on him!

Completely awesome job he did in that game, showing hands, speed, and moves.

Now his second year in the game versus UT, Newton wouldn't throw to him. Weird.

That was on Halloween in 2005. He dominated that game and you're right - everyone knew the ball was coming to him. We had no other receiving threat at all.

tay0365
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
He could be a special player, no doubt, but I have read that he may fall to the 2nd round......how great would it be, if Miami had a double miracle, and end up with Quinn in the 1st, and Rice in the 2nd (To me after these two picks every pick after that would be gravy).

Stitches
02-13-2007, 05:24 PM
He could be a special player, no doubt, but I have read that he may fall to the 2nd round......how great would it be, if Miami had a double miracle, and end up with Quinn in the 1st, and Rice in the 2nd (To me after these two picks every pick after that would be gravy).

I say, let the gravy train start flowing. :wink:

Robfinfan
02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Being a Gamecock here in South Carolina, I'm probably the biggest Rice fan here. I don't think he's worth a #9 to us, but he's very close. He's a very special player who not only made his QB's look real good, but was used as a decoy much of the time. I remember so many times as a freshman, how we all knew (including the defense) that it was going to go to Rice, and they still couldn't stop him. We are talking about a real good kid here too. He loves and understands football much like a Donte Whitner and Zach Thomas. He's tall, deceptively fast, catches nicely with his hands, and comes down with it in traffic. This kid is no Troy Williamson, he's the real deal.

I too pull for the Gamecocks and he is the real deal. Carolina plays all the big teams and he allways shows up big. He lands his feet inside, makes the big catches and allways finds a way to get the ball. I will hate to see him go.

Also, USC has allways produced good recivers who go on to play in the pros and make it to the probowl.

jason8er
02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I too pull for the Gamecocks and he is the real deal. Carolina plays all the big teams and he allways shows up big. He lands his feet inside, makes the big catches and allways finds a way to get the ball. I will hate to see him go.

Also, USC has allways produced good recivers who go on to play in the pros and make it to the probowl.
Yeah, there was a small debate on a Columbia news station about him being the best WR in SC history. He won over Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks. By the way, keep your eye out for Kenny McKinnley next season. :D

Elliott 1
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM

IcwpbFbHimg

Then we are trading Booker and Cambers, right? If we are taking a player in the 1st round he is going to have to start. Hagan isn't going anywhere at this stage of his development, he should start this year as well. It looks like we will probably sign Welker again. Your not suggesting we draft a developmental player with the #9 or even the #40, are you?

musphinzfan
02-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Rice is pretty damn good...I would love to see it happen.

SpencerFS
02-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Then we are trading Booker and Cambers, right? If we are taking a player in the 1st round he is going to have to start. Hagan isn't going anywhere at this stage of his development, he should start this year as well. It looks like we will probably sign Welker again. Your not suggesting we draft a developmental player with the #9 or even the #40, are you?

yeah thats why i posted it lol. Cause chambers ain't a number 1# he is most productive in the slot i say we move him there. IMO we don't resign Welker muller says he wants speed thats not welker he runs a 4.65. We draft Sidney rice and he has the potential to be our future number 1 reminds me of a lot of Chad Johnson from watching most of the USC games. Rice has glue on his hands and can help us in the red zone we are number 24 in end zone efficiency we need a big body to throw it up to . Jason Allen was a 1st round pick he didn't start did he? Will work him into to our system and slowly increase his playing time and his routes will improve and be a dominant Wide receiver IMO

PJack
02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Only WR I would take at 9 is Johnson (won't happen). Otherwise this is a very deep WR draft and if we feel one of them is the BPA at 40 we can land one there. The second best receiver last year, Chad Jackson lasted well into the second round. This year there are six or seven WR that have 1st or 2nd round grades so its very likely we will get a good one with our 2nd. Here's the ranking from footballs future with links.

Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/calvin_johnson.html)
Dwayne Jarrett, USC (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/dwayne_jarrett.html)
Ted Ginn Jr, Ohio St, Jr. (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/ted_ginn.html)
Robert Meachem, Tennessee (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/robert_meachem.html)
Dwayne Bowe, LSU (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/dwayne_bowe.html)
Sidney Rice, South Carolina (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/sidney_rice.html)

finns13
02-14-2007, 12:01 AM
I have seen Rice a lot being from SC but wouldnt take him at 9. Granted Iam a Clemson fan but Iam just as big a fins fan. Round 2 hell yes but if we can get Chansi Stuckey in the 3rd or 4th I think it might be a better value. I am a Clemson fan once again. Also Fry at center would be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th. 6 2 320. A really good player.

miamiron
02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
You want value compare Ginns numbers to Higgins

Higgins...190 receptions...3218 yards...32 tds(49 games)
Ginn...135receptions....1943 yards...15 tds(37games)both run 4.35 or less

Jarret.....216receptions....3138 yards....41 tds(38 games)
Bowe......154receptions....2403 yards....26 tds(46 games)
Rice........142receptions....2233 yards....23 tds(24 games)

The numbers say that Rice is an incredible talent who only played 2 seasons
and will only get better with time.Ginn scares me when you look at his numbers.I realize where he played spread the wealth around and had a very balanced attack and if I wanted someone with speed and return capabilities I would pick up Higgins in round 4.

Any of the group of Jarret,Rice,and Bowe would be a huge help for this team as would be a few other WR just below the quality of these mentioned.

I HAVE TO AGREE AN JUST SAY NO TO GINN AT #9

SpencerFS
02-14-2007, 08:19 AM

and will only get better with time.Ginn scares me when you look at his numbers.I realize where he played spread the wealth around and had a very balanced attack and if I wanted someone with speed and return capabilities I would pick up Higgins in round 4.

Any of the group of Jarret,Rice,and Bowe would be a huge help for this team as would be a few other WR just below the quality of these mentioned.

i agree ginn either could be a huge bust or a star but i say he will be a bust at the wide receiver position . But i do think that he wil be a good kick returner and PR

musphinzfan
02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Imagine if Rice had some help like Jarrett,Bowe or Ginn did.

Sidney does it himself thats why he,to me,is the 2nd best WR in this draft.

miamiron
02-14-2007, 01:18 PM
i agree ginn either could be a huge bust or a star but i say he will be a bust at the wide receiver position . But i do think that he wil be a good kick returner and PR

Higgins would be an absolute bargin in the 4th as he would step up and become the return man we need(someone with blazing speed)
plus he would stretch the field as a wideout when playing.

With this you would have to let Welker leave and being a restricted
free agent maybe we could get a 4th for him which would give us 2
4th round picks one for Higgins and one for either

Dan Bauzin DE/OLB CENT MICH 6'3" 270 4.69 40 time
agressive,plays 100% every down never takes a play off,very quick,
smart with top intangibles,In 47 career games had 261 tackles,63.5 tackles for a loss,35.5 sacks (extraordinarily productive career)

Kyle Young C Fresno State 6'5" 330 "forever and a day" 40 time (5.4)
Very nasty,terrific size,extremely strong,killer instinct,high football IQ

Sabby Piscitelli SS/OLB Oregon 6'3" 224 4.5 40 time
Plays with a nasty attitude,great size,solid speed and range,good hands and ball skills,very smart,versitle,nice motor and top intangibles,tons of experience.

With all this said I would hate to loose Welker because he gave his heart and soul for this team but sometime in THE NEAR FUTURE these tough decicions will have to be made.

jim1
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM

The game numbers and stats are relative to the level of competion that they are posted against. I'd be far more interested in size, speed, game film, all-star games, and combine performance.

To use basketball as an example, if you took Greg Oden or Kevin Durant's
numbers and compared them to some guy playing juco or Division II ball, does it really matter if this other guy scored 2 more ppg or had 1.5 more rpg? I mean, who cares?

I respectfully don't really care what Higgins game stats were compared to Ginn or anybody else. The other stuff I care about a lot, and if Higgins proves that he can turn that 4.35 speed into pro level production, well then I hope that we nab him.

Tureo
02-15-2007, 01:16 AM

IcwpbFbHimg
I like Sidney Rice. I like him alot! That is why I hope we still have a chance to draft him or a guy like Meacham with our 2nd rd pick. I think Johnson, Jarrett, Bowe, and Ginn would go before either of the 2 and hopefully one of them would slip to us in the 2nd.

jdang307
02-15-2007, 03:08 AM
I've had my eye on Higgins ever since Cam said we needed speed at receiver. First came to mind was Ginn, but I feel he is a reach at #9, too much of a project at #9. That being said, I don't know if Higgins lasts until the 4th. As a matter of fact, if he is there in the 3rd I wouldn't be against taking him there, depending on how the combine goes.