PDA

View Full Version : Wii = fastest selling console of all time

Phin-o-rama
02-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Nintendo announces 4.5 million Wii consoles sold worldwide
Nintendo have today announced that their groundbreaking Wii console has become the fastest-selling console in history selling 4.50 million units in just under three months - this is more than the PS2 or Gamecube sold in the same timeframe. "The console has been a huge success all around the world" said president Satoru Iwata.

http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/Nintendo_announces_4_5_million_Wii_consoles_sold_worldwide

Bruzer
02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
This is really going to help nintendo they make money on every system sold. I am curious to the games wii will get over the next couple years.

NoVaDolfan
02-13-2007, 01:39 PM
probably this will help them get money to develop some sweet new games....

FinsNCanes
02-13-2007, 01:40 PM
probably this will help them get money to develop some sweet new games....

Hopefully.....

NoVaDolfan
02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
they definitely took a chance by going away from the high end gaming like XBOX360 and PS3 but they have come up big. Now they just need to take it up a step. Continue to make developments and new games to support the good start. I am a fan so far but I hope they continue to grow this....

Bruzer
02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
The system is till being sold out in many places in just minutes it will take another month or two for the stock to finally be able to get one.

Phin-o-rama
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
this is how i found mine
http://www.nowinstock.net/wii/index.php

there is also... www.wiitracker.com

Bruzer
02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Yea I just missed amazon today took 30 minutes to sell out but I was out shoveling ....

Amars
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
I have the wii and honestly I play it more then my 360. I have 2 brand new game COD3 and RB6 for the 360 and have only played each once because I enjoy playing the wii more.

FinsNCanes
02-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I have the wii and honestly I play it more then my 360. I have 2 brand new game COD3 and RB6 for the 360 and have only played each once because I enjoy playing the wii more.

Out of curiousity what games do you play over those 2?

Medieval954
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
That's impossible, most everyone said the Wii was last gen tech with a gimmick controller and "kiddie" games that no one wanted to play. Now you're telling me it's the fastest console to hit 4.5 million sold...ever?

Must be a long typo.

Mike13
02-13-2007, 03:34 PM
That's impossible, most everyone said the Wii was last gen tech with a gimmick controller and "kiddie" games that no one wanted to play. Now you're telling me it's the fastest console to hit 4.5 million sold...ever?

Must be a long typo.

:lol:

Bruzer
02-13-2007, 03:52 PM

Must be a long typo.

:sidelol:.

Majpain
02-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Must be a long typo.

:sidelol:

Silverphin
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM

Must be a long typo.

:owned:

Phin-o-rama
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
i don't think anyone could really predict the success that wii is enjoying....i mean i still think they should have done 720p...

Phinz420
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Nintendo proves yet again, that pure innovation gives way to evolution.

The Wii's control scheme is just as important to gaming history as the development of the joystick. I am not claiming to be a prophet, but I promise you all that in every future generation console made - they will all incorporate the Wii's functionality at least as an option. Im not referring to what Sony did at the last second with their SixAxis crap either. Nintendo's newest console, while not even coming close in graphics, has been able to sell massive numbers using pure innovation- Kudos to the N. Here is to the future.

FinsNCanes
02-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Must be a long typo.

Still is if you ask me. At one point in time Nsync was the hottest band on earth. Doesn't make them good now does it? :cooldude:

It's cheap and directed towards kids. Of course it's gonna sell.

Phinz420
02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
i don't think anyone could really predict the success that wii is enjoying....i mean i still think they should have done 720p...

I think the only ones who predicted it were just putting their faith behind Nintendo. There was so much skepticism over the controller before they launched, that the only ones I saw claiming it to be the next era of gaming were N Freaks.

I wasn't even sold on it when reading rave reviews about it from all over the place to be honest.

Needless to say, that my opinion changed drastically when I got my mitts on it.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-13-2007, 04:12 PM

I think anyone could. It is a pretty neat console that is also decently cheap. Well cheaper compared to all of the other new consoles.

However will it have long standing success? That is the unknown question. Will the Wii stand the test of time, especially after the good 360 and PS3 games come out that have great grahpics, physics and a few things that the Wii will be incapable of. Also will the motion sensorness of the Wii also not get old. Right now a simple crappy Tennis game is really freaking fun, will that continue to be true in 2 or 3 years when on the ps3 and 360 the tennis games look and play fantastic while the Wii just has the motion sensor

Phin-o-rama
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Still is if you ask me. At one point in time Nsync was the hottest band on earth. Doesn't make them good now does it? :cooldude:

It's cheap and directed towards kids. Of course it's gonna sell.

my initial perception of the wii was yeah it was for kids....but more and more 'casual' gamers are loving it and even ps3/360 owners are loving it as a compliment to their major systems....

like my buddy is 29, married and just had a baby girl....he got one cuz he is a zelda whore and called me and told me i HAD to buy a wii, that his big *** was standing in his living room sweating balls boxing.....this was about a month ago and since then he said he's put countless hours into wii sports, about 30+ into zelda...and d/l'ed zelda link to the past and a few other vc games.....his wife loves the wii and they play **** on it, and she doesn't like other games whatsoever.

me, 28, married but no kids....its relatively cheap price tag makes it a gamble worth taking and hey a web browser in my living room would be rather cool ....shoot graphics aren't everything...its all about gameplay really

we will see...right now im all excited for it...in 2 weeks i may dump all over it....

Get Up And Go
02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I love the wii. I can't wait till the big games come out.

Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Money!

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I love the wii. I can't wait till the big games come out.

Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Money!

How about this coming month when Mario Party 8 comes out on the Wii?

I hope they make a cool Mario Kart for the Wii as well. I LOVED Mario Kart 64.

Fresh
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Not remotely close to being better than the next gen systems, but it's a good system.

But pretty much every young child in the world wants one, so yeah, it's expected. Like I said though, obese people need to start purchasing this system.

It's also very cheap at $250...........

Silverphin
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Like I said though, obese people need to start purchasing this system.

:sidelol:

Bruzer
02-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Not remotely close to being better than the next gen systems, but it's a good system.

But pretty much every young child in the world wants one, so yeah, it's expected. Like I said though, obese people need to start purchasing this system.

To say its not remotely close to being better I can't agree I mean I look at a game for gameplay and not graphics yea it doesn't compete graphically but that does not make it a inferior system. Where it lacks it graphics it made up in making a new gaming experience.

Phin-o-rama
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
i also think nintendo is smart because parents want to get their tubby kids off the couch....

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 02:30 AM
To say its not remotely close to being better I can't agree I mean I look at a game for gameplay and not graphics yea it doesn't compete graphically but that does not make it a inferior system. Where it lacks it graphics it made up in making a new gaming experience.

I have played the Wii. For the motion sensing does not seem to be actually a part of the actual console, but a plug in. It seems to me that all Sony or Microsoft needs to do is add a plug in and they have a next gen Wii.

Unless I am mistaken and that plug in isn't all of the motion sensoring.

Samphin
02-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Wow...I didn't even think of Mario Party. I think I could lose 15 pounds playing that on a Wii.

Now I just have to get a Wii.

Bruzer
02-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I have played the Wii. For the motion sensing does not seem to be actually a part of the actual console, but a plug in. It seems to me that all Sony or Microsoft needs to do is add a plug in and they have a next gen Wii.

Unless I am mistaken and that plug in isn't all of the motion sensoring.

That may be so but they haven't done that yet and if they do then yes I would say xbox and ps3 are completely better. Although they haven't yet so to say xbox and ps3 are a much better system I cannot agree with. Plus with they money they are making with the wii I expect to see some good nintendo games in the future.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
That may be so but they haven't done that yet and if they do then yes I would say xbox and ps3 are completely better. Although they haven't yet so to say xbox and ps3 are a much better system I cannot agree with. Plus with they money they are making with the wii I expect to see some good nintendo games in the future.

It is hard for me to say that a system isn't better when all the other system has is a gimmick that could copied and used by the other systems. I would bet dollars to donuts that Sony and Microsoft are working on their own motion capturing devices as they would be stupid not to with the success of the Wii.

I am not saying the Wii is bad or that there will not be some great games created by Nintendo for the Wii, however it is not on par with the power of either the 360 or the PS3. I think that will be more apperent in 1 to 3 years when games are actually being built to take advantage of the 360 and ps3 rather than games that were being made for the xbox and ps2 being upgraded visually for the ps3 and 360.

FinsNCanes
02-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't want to physically move much when playing video games? Imagine playing WoW and you literally have to run everywhere. Great work out, pain in the ***. I could see about 3 million nerds having heart attacks.

To me the SIAXIS or whatever it is for the ps3 is plenty enough.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't want to physically move much when playing video games? Imagine playing WoW and you literally have to run everywhere. Great work out, pain in the ***. I could see about 3 million nerds having heart attacks.

To me the SIAXIS or whatever it is for the ps3 is plenty enough.

technically you do not have to move much with the Wii. It just takes flicks from the wrists. I was able to play wii tennis and wii boxing with minimal movement. It is just some people like doing full form which also works as well.

Bruzer
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
It is hard for me to say that a system isn't better when all the other system has is a gimmick that could copied and used by the other systems. I would bet dollars to donuts that Sony and Microsoft are working on their own motion capturing devices as they would be stupid not to with the success of the Wii.

I am not saying the Wii is bad or that there will not be some great games created by Nintendo for the Wii, however it is not on par with the power of either the 360 or the PS3. I think that will be more apperent in 1 to 3 years when games are actually being built to take advantage of the 360 and ps3 rather than games that were being made for the xbox and ps2 being upgraded visually for the ps3 and 360.

I never said its on par with power becuase wii is simply not on par as far as power. Although I do commend them working on the motion sensor gameplay than the high power graphics 2 systems are enough for the same thing definately when I got a high power pc I got enough of graphics wii is something different for me to play.

Phin-o-rama
02-14-2007, 02:45 PM
come on man...six axis sucks balls and they would have put rumble in but they had patent problems

FinsNCanes
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
technically you do not have to move much with the Wii. It just takes flicks from the wrists. I was able to play wii tennis and wii boxing with minimal movement. It is just some people like doing full form which also works as well.

How does that differ from what the ps3 did? :confused:

FinsNCanes
02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
come on man...six axis sucks balls and they would have put rumble in but they had patent problems

Never a huge fan of the rumble.

I actually turn sixaxis off.

Phin-o-rama
02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
gross

Amars
02-14-2007, 04:36 PM

It all depends in what your looking for. For me is entertainment value. PS3 is a freakin beast of a system but it has yet to live up to anything. I've play resistance fall of man which is supposedly its best game but to me the gameplay is just like every freakin first person shooter but with awesome graphics. Im just as entertained playing 007 Golden Eye on Paintball mode for N64. GOW is good to because its different kind of FPS. The Wii on the other hand hits u with new **** right off the bat. Its defeniately creating a identity.

Samphin
02-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Nintendo is always on the forefront of these innovations. Anyone remember when the Rumble pack was a big thing for N64? Now everyone has wireless controllers that actually, you know, WORK. You can thank Nintendo and the Wavebird for that. Heck, you can go as far back as Gameboy. That spawned an entire different gnere of gaming (yes I am discounting the handheld tiger games that only played the one game and all the other things resembling that).
Now, they will do it again with this Wii business. Fans are bying in and obviously want to be a bigger part of the game than just mashing buttons.

Take a look at the huge success of Guitar Hero and DDR. hose games would be awful if you played them with a normal hand held controller. The fact that you are playing a guitar or physically dancing on DDR is what makes those games unique and popular.

Now imagine that type of interactivity with seemingly every game and you have the whole concept of Wii. Sure, Playstation and Xbox will come out with something similar. However, I am sure by then, Nintendo will be looking and developing the next ground breaking device in gaming. They simply are always two steps ahead of everyone...usually. The only real clunker I can think of was the virtual boy god awful, everything is red atrocity from ages ago.

Mike13
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM

I actually think Wii boxing is a bit of a work out.
I can play my other games sitting down though.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I actually think Wii boxing is a bit of a work out.
I can play my other games sitting down though.

you can do Wii Boxing pretty well with minimal movements. I didn't have a problem.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 05:25 PM

how does it suck balls?

Myself I never been a fan of rumble. Apperently they are working on putting it in a new controller.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Nintendo is always on the forefront of these innovations. Anyone remember when the Rumble pack was a big thing for N64? Now everyone has wireless controllers that actually, you know, WORK. You can thank Nintendo and the Wavebird for that. Heck, you can go as far back as Gameboy. That spawned an entire different gnere of gaming (yes I am discounting the handheld tiger games that only played the one game and all the other things resembling that).
Now, they will do it again with this Wii business. Fans are bying in and obviously want to be a bigger part of the game than just mashing buttons.

Take a look at the huge success of Guitar Hero and DDR. hose games would be awful if you played them with a normal hand held controller. The fact that you are playing a guitar or physically dancing on DDR is what makes those games unique and popular.

Now imagine that type of interactivity with seemingly every game and you have the whole concept of Wii. Sure, Playstation and Xbox will come out with something similar. However, I am sure by then, Nintendo will be looking and developing the next ground breaking device in gaming. They simply are always two steps ahead of everyone...usually. The only real clunker I can think of was the virtual boy god awful, everything is red atrocity from ages ago.

Guitar Hero and DDR are popular, however they are not exactly setting the world on fire in comparison to games without interactivity. In fact the best selling games are still good old fashioned button mashers.

Again I am not saying the Wii is bad, I am just questioning if it can stand the test of time. I still remember the point when the Dreamcast was the best selling and fastest selling console.

Phin-o-rama
02-14-2007, 05:41 PM
i enjoy rumble...and the ps3 controller felt too light and cheap...just my impressions...and 6 axis was a last ditch attempt to lure those that might be intrigued by motion control on the wii, so they threw in a half *** version of what the wii does...and the only reason they put six axis in there is they messed up on some patent...

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
i enjoy rumble...and the ps3 controller felt too light and cheap...just my impressions...and 6 axis was a last ditch attempt to lure those that might be intrigued by motion control on the wii, so they threw in a half *** version of what the wii does...and the only reason they put six axis in there is they messed up on some patent...

That point is a flaw with the consumer. It is actually something funny how people associate heaviness with quality. Still I guess it would be Sony's fault for not considering the human condition when designing their controllers.

Motion control has been around since regular nintendo and even before that. I am not understanding how Nintendo all of a sudden got the patent on that idea.

I disliked rumble since the rumble pack. I thought it was the dumbest idea ever. I just don't understand how shaking my controller a bunch makes me feel like I have been tackled.

Samphin
02-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Guitar Hero and DDR are popular, however they are not exactly setting the world on fire in comparison to games without interactivity. In fact the best selling games are still good old fashioned button mashers.

Again I am not saying the Wii is bad, I am just questioning if it can stand the test of time. I still remember the point when the Dreamcast was the best selling and fastest selling console.

Without looking at numbers and stats, I can tell you that Guitar Hero has its fans in seemingly every corner of the earth. I recently attended one of my sales meetings and hearda huge racket coming from one of my co-worker's rooms. I went over to see what was going on, only to see grown men (ages 27 to mid 40's) drinking, laughing and playing Guitar Hero with a glimmer in their eye that was partially booze related, but partially pure joy of the game. In fact, it became so popular that by our last night, the hotel had to shut them down because virtually everyone was in their room waiting their turn.

Now, all of that was over one purchase, so you can argue that it is all well and good, but in the end only one system was sold, and you would be right.

But I think it shows you how incredible an experience it can be to really feel like you are controlling the game, even moreso than normal. Nintendo is doing that with the Wii.

I love my Xbox360, but I think I will eventually breakdwon and buy a Wii just because everything I have heard about it is great (despite early reports of ******s breaking their tvs from thrashing around too hard).

I also don't think they go the way of Dreamcast fo a couple of reasons. Frist off, Dreamcast jumpe dthe gun on their release and ended up being the best graphically, memory wise and everything else...for a little while. Then Xbox, PS2 and Nintendo released their systems and completely blew Dreamcast away in every category. Furthermore, and more important, Sega had a a tremendous brainfart by allowing their games to be copied on regular cd's and played no problem. Seriously, within my group of friends, we would buy one copy of the game and burn copies for the rest of us. Sega lost out on a ton of dough and ultimately ende dup focusing on the software vs. the hardware side of it.

Nintendo protects their intellectual rights like children. You would never see that happen to them. At least not on the scale that Sega let it get too.

Phin-o-rama
02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
That point is a flaw with the consumer. It is actually something funny how people associate heaviness with quality. Still I guess it would be Sony's fault for not considering the human condition when designing their controllers.

might have been a good idea since the consumers are humans, and not robots....the consumer is never wrong, and will buy what they want and get what they want.

Motion control has been around since regular nintendo and even before that. I am not understanding how Nintendo all of a sudden got the patent on that idea.

i mean sony lost their patent to rumble and couldn't put it in the ps3 controller (or so i've read)

I disliked rumble since the rumble pack. I thought it was the dumbest idea ever. I just don't understand how shaking my controller a bunch makes me feel like I have been tackled.

and once again, i think the majority of people disagree....

I love it in many games, when something is about to happen in GoW, you feel it lightly rumbling and as the emergence gets closer or w/e it is...it adds to the experience....I was disapointed in the ps3's lack of rumble

Samphin
02-14-2007, 06:02 PM

I agree with you abut the rumble pack for the most part. The only time I ever really took notice that it added to the overall experience are in espionage games and drvining/flying games.

In driving games, it was kind of cool if you went off the road to kind of feel the rumble because it helps immerse you into the fact that you are no longer on a paved street and thus, the handling of the car wouldn't be that smooth either.

As for shooting/espionage games, it was great for heart beat effects (where in would mimic a heartbeat and rumble a little). A game like Eternal Darkness where the crazier your chaaracter got, the more intense the hallucinations on the actual gamer got, it added something to it.

But overall, I think the importance of the rumble pack is to provide shaking when something big happens or is about to happen I guess. I don't think I would miss it if it went away.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Without looking at numbers and stats, I can tell you that Guitar Hero has its fans in seemingly every corner of the earth. I recently attended one of my sales meetings and hearda huge racket coming from one of my co-worker's rooms. I went over to see what was going on, only to see grown men (ages 27 to mid 40's) drinking, laughing and playing Guitar Hero with a glimmer in their eye that was partially booze related, but partially pure joy of the game. In fact, it became so popular that by our last night, the hotel had to shut them down because virtually everyone was in their room waiting their turn.

Now, all of that was over one purchase, so you can argue that it is all well and good, but in the end only one system was sold, and you would be right.

But I think it shows you how incredible an experience it can be to really feel like you are controlling the game, even moreso than normal. Nintendo is doing that with the Wii.

I love my Xbox360, but I think I will eventually breakdwon and buy a Wii just because everything I have heard about it is great (despite early reports of ******s breaking their tvs from thrashing around too hard).

I also don't think they go the way of Dreamcast fo a couple of reasons. Frist off, Dreamcast jumpe dthe gun on their release and ended up being the best graphically, memory wise and everything else...for a little while. Then Xbox, PS2 and Nintendo released their systems and completely blew Dreamcast away in every category. Furthermore, and more important, Sega had a a tremendous brainfart by allowing their games to be copied on regular cd's and played no problem. Seriously, within my group of friends, we would buy one copy of the game and burn copies for the rest of us. Sega lost out on a ton of dough and ultimately ende dup focusing on the software vs. the hardware side of it.

Nintendo protects their intellectual rights like children. You would never see that happen to them. At least not on the scale that Sega let it get too.

I just the Dreamcast as the basic tortiose hare story. Starting off strong doesn't always win you the race or cause you to be successful. Honestly the games I am looking forward to the most on the Wii are two games where they barely need the motion sensor controls, which is Mario Galaxy and The Next Smash Bros. If Galaxy turns out to be a great game I will most likely buy a Wii.

I guess another thing about the Wii is that it is most fun in party type situations, the same with Guitar Hero and DDR. They "can" be fun by yourself, however when you are with a bunch of people that just adds into the fun of it.

I am just wondering what will happen when a game that is just much better on the ps3 and 360 like potentially Grand Theft Auto 4, how the Wii will fend then when those games come out. Will it still be fun or will people be sick of Monkey Ball III and Wii Sports expansion edition?

Phin-o-rama
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Wii60 ftw best of both worlds

Samphin
02-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I just the Dreamcast as the basic tortiose hare story. Starting off strong doesn't always win you the race or cause you to be successful. Honestly the games I am looking forward to the most on the Wii are two games where they barely need the motion sensor controls, which is Mario Galaxy and The Next Smash Bros. If Galaxy turns out to be a great game I will most likely buy a Wii.

I guess another thing about the Wii is that it is most fun in party type situations, the same with Guitar Hero and DDR. They "can" be fun by yourself, however when you are with a bunch of people that just adds into the fun of it.

I am just wondering what will happen when a game that is just much better on the ps3 and 360 like potentially Grand Theft Auto 4, how the Wii will fend then when those games come out. Will it still be fun or will people be sick of Monkey Ball III and Wii Sports expansion edition?

See, I love GTA and not that it will come out for Wii, but the came would work well with players being able to do more with that character. stealing cars, beating up hookers and things of that nature. However, I get what you are saying. Nintendo still needs to deliver on the other side of things (i.e. graphics, gameplay etc.) in order for people to like it beyond the gimmick.

I think the ultimate test is if you would play the same game, without the Wii controller but with a "standard" one. If so, than it is a worthy game.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
might have been a good idea since the consumers are humans, and not robots....the consumer is never wrong, and will buy what they want and get what they want.

i mean sony lost their patent to rumble and couldn't put it in the ps3 controller (or so i've read)

and once again, i think the majority of people disagree....

I love it in many games, when something is about to happen in GoW, you feel it lightly rumbling and as the emergence gets closer or w/e it is...it adds to the experience....I was disapointed in the ps3's lack of rumble

I think a majority of people do not care about rumble feature. I believe their carings from, This has rumble feature "neat", This does not have rumble feature "whatever"

Might have been a good idea. Still I do find it funny that there is an increased cost to things like Ipod and cell phones just to add weight due to the fact that people associate light with cheap. There is one of the few knocks on sony for giving their customers too much credit rather than most of their not enoughs.

Sony lost a lawsuit. They could of put the rumble feature inside of their controller. From what I read it was more of a "We don't want to pay this company" type of thing.

I guess I just NEVER met anyone who talks about how much they love the rumble feature and I talk to a lot of gamers.

Bruzer
02-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Wii60 ftw best of both worlds

I rather go PS Wii60 and have best of gaming atm.