PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Dolphins Coach Jimmy Johnson a top candidate for Chargers gig?

endorPHINS72
02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I heard this story on the local sportscast a few minutes ago and verified it on a couple other websites:

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/13/early-candidates-for-the-chargers-head-coaching-gig-pt-2/

I've heard Pete Carroll's name mentioned, but I think this would be as attractive a situation as any for JJ should he want to get back into coaching.

Jaj
02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
His defense is so unbelievably different from the 4-3. However they could do it but there is no point.

icephinfan
02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Doesn't JJ want to be with his lady, one of the reasons he left the Phins???

ALSO:

A possible candidate to replace Marty Schottenheimer is USC's Pete Carroll, who interviewed with the Dolphins in January and whose name has come up in connection with other NFL vacancies.
-- Los Angeles Times

brandon27
02-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I heard or read something about this today too, I was rather surprised to hear JJ would consider coming back. I pretty much figured he was done. It'll be interesting though to see what SD does now that the prospects for new head coaches are pretty much gone...

Jaj
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
This is just silly just go hire somebody who runs the 3-4 and work the formula that the Chargers have. It's such an easy job, with a very good defense, a young Shawne Merriman and L.T., plus a good young QB.

endorPHINS72
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I heard or read something about this today too, I was rather surprised to hear JJ would consider coming back. I pretty much figured he was done. It'll be interesting though to see what SD does now that the prospects for new head coaches are pretty much gone...

I was pretty surprised to hear it as well. Honestly, I sort of doubt they sign a real big name like JJ or Carroll. I believe someone like Ron Rivera or Norv Turner is more likely to get it.

phinphan896
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
i hgighly doubt that hell come out of retirement. I believe that hes one of the few guys who retired and is going to stay retired

icephinfan
02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I was pretty surprised to hear it as well. Honestly, I sort of doubt they sign a real big name like JJ or Carroll. I believe someone like Ron Rivera or Norv Turner is more likely to get it.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith and club President Dean Spanos have tremendous respect for Bill Parcells. In fact, the Chargers wooed Parcells in 2002 before hiring Marty Schottenheimer. Parcells has accomplished something Chargers ownership doesn't believe Schottenheimer ever will: lead a team to a title.
-- San Diego Union-Tribune

endorPHINS72
02-13-2007, 07:47 PM
This is just silly just go hire somebody who runs the 3-4 and work the formula that the Chargers have. It's such an easy job, with a very good defense, a young Shawne Merriman and L.T., plus a good young QB.

All this JJ and Pete Carroll talk may be to appease the fans a bit. I've never been a big fan of Schottenheimer, but his firing this late after the end of the season was a shock. It seems that organization was even more dysfunctional than anyone had guessed.

The New Guy
02-13-2007, 07:51 PM

I agree. I would be very surprised if JJ came back. He seems too happy to return to coaching.

endorPHINS72
02-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Chargers GM A.J. Smith and club President Dean Spanos have tremendous respect for Bill Parcells. In fact, the Chargers wooed Parcells in 2002 before hiring Marty Schottenheimer. Parcells has accomplished something Chargers ownership doesn't believe Schottenheimer ever will: lead a team to a title.
-- San Diego Union-Tribune

Hey Ice! What's happening? Haven't seen you in a while!

I've heard Bill Parcells name mentioned as well. The only way I believe that scenario would work out is if A.J. Smith was either let go or took a demotion in power to give Parcells complete control over the organization. I don't think Parcells would take another job without that kind of power after his control issues in New England and Dallas.

endorPHINS72
02-13-2007, 07:53 PM
New Guy -- That's one hell of a signature you have there!

The New Guy
02-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks! :D

icephinfan
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey Ice! What's happening? Haven't seen you in a while!

I've heard Bill Parcells name mentioned as well. The only way I believe that scenario would work out is if A.J. Smith was either let go or took a demotion in power to give Parcells complete control over the organization. I don't think Parcells would take another job without that kind of power after his control issues in New England and Dallas.

Hey brotha, yeah I've been here and there. How you been??

True, Parcells would want all the control.

finmann
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I hope this is just a rumor, if he were to come back to coaching it had better be with the Phins.

dominizzo
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM
I say Pete Carroll

NJFINSFAN1
02-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I say Pete Carroll

I say Dan Reeves

playmaker1
02-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Pete Carol. How could he not pass this up. he almost bit on the Miami Job

tucker
02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
pete carrol is as good as gone from usc...jimmy johnson would hit the jackpot with this team also

Roman529
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
I can't see JJ going back to coaching. He can make great money just working as a weekend commentator. Coaching requires a lot of 16+ hour days with few days off. I also don't see Pete Carroll leaving USC.