PDA

View Full Version : Superman? PLZ READ! its a surprise that'll make you drool...

SR 7
02-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Superman anyone?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2007/02/calvin-johnson-runs-433-in-40.html

amir7
02-14-2007, 07:29 PM
:eek: Man trading up into the 3-4 range just started sounding a lot better. I'd take Johnson over Quinn at that spot

DirkDiggler
02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I hate to burst your bubble but when they report those "Unofficial" Times they cheat a bit. The runner gets at the end of the field and gets a blazing start. Once he crosses a predetermined point they begin the time of the 40. When he does it from a standing start your going to see a much more human time.

LtDan
02-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I hate to burst your bubble but when they report those "Unofficial" Times they cheat a bit. The runner gets at the end of the field and gets a blazing start. Once he crosses a predetermined point they begin the time of the 40. When he does it from a standing start your going to see a much more human time.
Proof of that??

DirkDiggler
02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Its one of those little pre combine tricks they do. The proof will be in his official time. I guarentee that it will be more in line with everybody else. If not then you can believe the hype however Superman is still dead. "Both of them."

DirkDiggler
02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Here is an old article but may enlighten you.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_17_227/ai_100728366 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_17_227/ai_100728366)

Crowder52
02-14-2007, 07:54 PM

I hate to burst your bubble, but I've never heard that before, and in fact it makes no sense. If the runner could take a "blazing start" and start the timer at full speed, these guys could cover 40 yards in less than 4 seconds.

sports24/7
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Johnson is an absolute freak and will be a dominant WR for years to come. To me he is Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison wrapped up in one. The guy will be special. Will he run a 4.33 at the combine? Probably not, but he'll run around a 4.4 which is almost unheard of for a guy his size.

Natbonkilz
02-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Thats pretty interesting way to time some one. I assume it must take a bunch of time of their 40. I guess we why and see.

DirkDiggler
02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
It doesnt matter that {You} never heard of it before it is a fact that you either believe or not. Talk to me after his offical time is recorded.

VT Dolphan
02-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I doubt he'll be able to duplicate that time at the combine. But he should be able to run right around 4.4. The guy is blazing fast for his size.

melvindillon
02-14-2007, 08:19 PM
um, if that is how it is for the combine too, yeah, let's get this guy.

md

Jaj
02-14-2007, 08:24 PM
He's going to be the #1 overall pick. I expect the Raiders to trade for Carr.

That's why things are going to get interesting if the Raiders skip. Joe Thomas I think will still go second (Lions will take Drew Stanton, a hometown kind of guy in the 2nd).

Now things get interesting dependant on who's the 3rd or the 4th pick. If it's the Bucs then they might have to take a reach or they'll go for a QB.

Hope it's the Browns who I think will take Adrian Peterson and then the Bucs will be left with no trade down partner. I see them left with Okoye...

At 5 a DE goes, at 6 a DE goes, at 7 I see a safety, at 8 I see Brady Quinn going to the Texans and then finally at 9 we'll have the unbelievably great choice of Alan Branch, Jamarcus Russell, and Levi Brown.

Now if that is not trade down material I don't know what is.

Ronski_doodle
02-14-2007, 08:30 PM
WR in the first round is the biggest gamble in the drafts history. I'm not saying Cal Johnson will be a bust but there are more first round busts from the WR than any other position.(Source Gil Brandt Sirrius NFL Radio)

Crowder52
02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
It doesnt matter that {You} never heard of it before it is a fact that you either believe or not. Talk to me after his offical time is recorded.

I never said he will run a 4.33, and in fact I don't believe he will. What I said is that the way you described it (taking a running start) is utterly ridiculous.

marcodolphin
02-14-2007, 08:50 PM
i hope we draft him you can dream

WISfinfan13
02-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Its one of those little pre combine tricks they do. The proof will be in his official time. I guarentee that it will be more in line with everybody else. If not then you can believe the hype however Superman is still dead. "Both of them."

you say this but why would they want his reported numbers to be lower then what he will acctually run??

All this would accomplish would be making him look bad....but with that being said i bet he wont even run at the combine it will just hurt his stock he is a lock to go in the top five so my guess is he doesnt run...

CANDolphan
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, Ive never heard of this " running start ", and Calvin Johnson would be running 4.00s if he did what Dirk is claiming.

Calvin Johnson will be running around a 4.40 flat.. mark it down.

IluvJuMiami
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
:eek: Man trading up into the 3-4 range just started sounding a lot better. I'd take Johnson over Quinn at that spot

So can I get peeps on my bandwagon yet?

I say package Chamber's, a 3 this year, and a 3 the next to trade up with Tampa.

If Tampa would really rather trade down, they'll take the trade. If the guy they really want will fall to 9, they would have picked up a pro bowl caliber WR, an extra first day pick this year as well as the next, and the guy they really want at 9.

Tim Rattay is a UFA so pehaps their interested in Harrington aswell. Chambers, Harrington, an `07 3rd, and an `08 3rd. Not too much to give up for a possible Calvin Johnson IMO though I doubt Tampa is willing to take both inflated contracts.

The only negotiation I'd accept is to upgrade the `08 pick to a 2nd but that's as far as I'd go.

VT Dolphan
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM

That's why things are going to get interesting if the Raiders skip. Joe Thomas I think will still go second (Lions will take Drew Stanton, a hometown kind of guy in the 2nd).

Now things get interesting dependant on who's the 3rd or the 4th pick. If it's the Bucs then they might have to take a reach or they'll go for a QB.

Hope it's the Browns who I think will take Adrian Peterson and then the Bucs will be left with no trade down partner. I see them left with Okoye...

At 5 a DE goes, at 6 a DE goes, at 7 I see a safety, at 8 I see Brady Quinn going to the Texans and then finally at 9 we'll have the unbelievably great choice of Alan Branch, Jamarcus Russell, and Levi Brown.

Quite a few bold statements in there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson go number one. But I'd be shocked if Russell was still on the board when we picked. Call me crazy, but I think that I would rather trade down than draft a franchise QB in Russell. The Daunte comparisons scare me to death. If someone like Carolina is ready to give up the farm to move up with us, then do it. Otherwise, I would be hard pressed to choose between Russell and Branch.

Geforce
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM

There is no running start as you say. It's called hand timing. Hand timing will differ with whomever is doing it because of the timer's reaction time at the start and finish of the run.
Electronic timing is more accurate because it takes the human element out of it.

Geforce
02-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Quite a few bold statements in there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson go number one. But I'd be shocked if Russell was still on the board when we picked. Call me crazy, but I think that I would rather trade down than draft a franchise QB in Russell. The Daunte comparisons scare me to death. If someone like Carolina is ready to give up the farm to move up with us, then do it. Otherwise, I would be hard pressed to choose between Russell and Branch.
Other than the fact that they are both big QBs, there is no other comparisons that should be made.

finsrule84
02-14-2007, 10:51 PM

no matter what the Raiders do, Russel is not going to fall that far. Even if he does it would be mentally challenged to even entertain passing up such a steal

FINSFAN2781
02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
CJ is a physical freak. This guy will be an instant NFL star. This guy will make any QB look good. Whatever team, probably the Bucs will get him, is one lucky team.

phinphanforever
02-14-2007, 11:12 PM

I have said many times that if B Quinn falls to the Phins at #9, I believe they should trade the pick. I doubt, however, that this situation would unfold.
If J Russell falls to #9, however, I don't think the Dolphins have a choice. I think they would be compelled to draft him. This situation is even more unlikely than the former.
In your scenario, you assume that #3 to #8 won't trade down but I would think at least one team would try to nab JR or BQ if they were still on the board.
Then again, nobody thoguht Leinart would drop so low last year.

icephinfan
02-15-2007, 03:38 AM

Where does it say were trading up, or is that your own thought?????

Dolfan2788
02-15-2007, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't mind a number of things at this point in time but what I really want is Calvin Johnson.
Randy Moss could win games for the Vikings and it was as simple as that even with the attitude. Imagine a guy that is as good as Moss, will go over the middle and has a great temperament to go with it.
It's one of the best packages the draft has ever seen in a receiver who was rated this highly.
Think about the running game as well. Safeties sit 20 yards off the LOS because of Randy Moss, on any given run that could be an extra 1-2 ypc which may not seem like much on any given run but added up they may turn out to be an extra 30 yards of rushing per game which is definitely something to covet.