PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2007 Copa America thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

finsmx
02-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6474738)

Wednesday's draw placed Colombia and Paraguay in Group C along with Argentina and the United States, while Peru and Uruguay join Bolivia and host Venezuela in Group A.

Brazil, which has won the Copa America seven times in addition to its five World Cup titles, will open against Mexico on June 27 in the southeastern city of Puerto Ordaz.

The United States will open June 28 against Argentina, which shares the record of 14 Copa America titles with Uruguay.
Venezuela plays the tournament opener against Bolivia on June 26.
The tournament will be played in nine Venezuelan cites and concludes July 15.

The first two teams in each group and the best two of the third-place holders will advance to the second round. The semifinals are set for July 10-11 and the final match for July 15 in the western city of Maracaibo.

Group order:

Group A
Venezuela
Uruguay
Peru
Bolivia

Group B
Brazil
México
Chile
Ecuador

Group C
Argentina
USA
Colombia
Paraguay

finsmx
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I realize this is hardly an official thread (seeing how this starts up until late june) but I just wanted to give it some exposure.

Anyways here's an in depth schedule.

Group A games:
Venezuela vs. Bolivia, San Cristóbal, June 26th
Uruguay vs. Perú, Mérida, June 26th
Bolivia vs. Uruguay, San Cristóbal, June 30th
Venezuela vs. Perú, San Cristóbal, June 30th
Perú vs. Bolivia, Mérida, July 3rd
Venezuela vs. Uruguay, July 3rd

Group B games:
Ecuador vs. Chile, Puerto Ordaz, June 27th
Brasil vs. México, Puerto Ordaz, June 27th
México vs. Ecuador, Maturín, July 1st
Brasil vs. Chile, Maturín, July 1st
México vs. Chile, Puerto La Cruz, July 4th
Brasil vs. Ecuador, Puerto La Cruz, July 4th

Group C games:
Paraguay vs. Colombia, Maracaibo, June 28th
Argentina vs. Estados Unidos, Maracaibo, June 28th
Estados Unidos vs. Paraguay, Barinas, July 2nd
Argentina vs. Colombia, Maracaibo, July 2nd
Colombia vs. Estados Unidos, Barquisimeto, July 5th
Argentina vs. Paraguay, , Barquisimeto, July 5th

Quarterfinals
(1) Best third place vs. Group B Second place, Maracaibo, July 7th
(2) Group A first place vs. Second best third place, San Cristóbal, July 7th
(3) Group B first place vs. Group C second place, Maturín, July 8th
(4) Group C first place vs. Group A second place, Barquisimeto, July 8th

Semifinals
Winner of game 1 vs. Winner of game 2, July 10th
Winner of game 3 vs. Winner of game 4, July 11th

Third place game
Semifinals losers, Caracas, July 14th

Final
Semifinals winners, Maracaibo, July 15th

ckb2001
02-15-2007, 01:07 AM
It's about time the US competed in this. We made a serious error during Arena's tenure to keep relinquishing the opportunity to participate. Finally, some good competition!

Oh, and finsmx, with enough bumping I'm sure we can make this the official thread :wink: (at least until we have individual matches)

Quelonio
02-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Man, this one is early....

Has brazil and Argentina confirmed they are sending their main team? Copa america tends to become dissappointing precisely because those two tend to send Under 21's with a couple of stars. And without those two there really is no point in holding the tournament.

Still here is to hoping Mexico, US and Uruguay do really good.

ckb2001
02-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Has brazil and Argentina confirmed they are sending their main team? Copa america tends to become dissappointing precisely because those two tend to send Under 21's with a couple of stars. And without those two there really is no point in holding the tournament.

Argentina usually sends better players though, especially last time. But, yeah, Brazil only cares about the WC.. those spoiled brats!! However, Brazil better watch out. Italy now has 4 WC victories and it's only a penalty-kick loss in the WC that separates those two. Based on record Brazil is just BARELY #1 historically.

Quelonio
02-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Theiyre number one in my book. I hate Catenaccio, hate how the italian team has historically played.

I have been rarely impressed by brazil for a while, but at least sometimes they play nice.

King Felix
02-15-2007, 01:35 AM
ARGentina!!!11-dom

Quelonio
02-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Ki8nd of funny that US and Mexico get stuck in two really difficult groups.

I mean they play the two superpowers, and the two other south american teams to reach the WC plus two strong teams in Chile and Colombia (I think Colombia are the defending champs). Couldn-t they have gotten Venezuela and Bolivia thrown in there, I mean to even it out?

ckb2001
02-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Ki8nd of funny that US and Mexico get stuck in two really difficult groups.

I mean they play the two superpowers, and the two other south american teams to reach the WC plus two strong teams in Chile and Colombia (I think Colombia are the defending champs). Couldn-t they have gotten Venezuela and Bolivia thrown in there, I mean to even it out?

It's better for us this way. We need to think of proving we are good in face of the best competition instead of worrying about winning the Cup. Face it, both teams need constant top-level competition, so the more the better.

finsmx
02-15-2007, 02:00 PM

You think? :lol:

Oh but don't you worry, I will bump this baby come June :yes:

Prime Time
02-15-2007, 02:03 PM
It's better for us this way. We need to think of proving we are good in face of the best competition instead of worrying about winning the Cup. Face it, both teams need constant top-level competition, so the more the better.

It is a bit early for this Thread but we can keep it as the "Official" one If we keep it active and post all rumors/news as soon as it hits. This would be good for us Soccer Heads that only get to talk about the Important Tourneys etc. So this is a good idea and a way for us to get a taste of the Summer games.

Yes it is about time for the US to participate in the Copa America again. Hopefully they'll take some stars...more so then in the Friendly vs Mexico.

Imagine If we can win that first game against favorites like Argentina like we did in the 2002 WC when we opened against Portugal. We would be in good shape to advance.

I'll also be rooting for Peru, but with the state of the FPF right now I don't expect them to do much which is sad. Solano is even criticizing the way it is being run right now and said he will NOT play if it remains the same.

If I have to root for a favorite, ill root for Argentina, but hopefully we see good Soccer in Venezuela. And If Bradley's still the coach by this, then I expect him to be here till at least 2008.

ckb2001
02-15-2007, 05:06 PM
It is a bit early for this Thread but we can keep it as the "Official" one If we keep it active and post all rumors/news as soon as it hits. This would be good for us Soccer Heads that only get to talk about the Important Tourneys etc. So this is a good idea and a way for us to get a taste of the Summer games.

Yes it is about time for the US to participate in the Copa America again. Hopefully they'll take some stars...more so then in the Friendly vs Mexico.

Imagine If we can win that first game against favorites like Argentina like we did in the 2002 WC when we opened against Portugal. We would be in good shape to advance.

I'll also be rooting for Peru, but with the state of the FPF right now I don't expect them to do much which is sad. Solano is even criticizing the way it is being run right now and said he will NOT play if it remains the same.

If I have to root for a favorite, ill root for Argentina, but hopefully we see good Soccer in Venezuela. And If Bradley's still the coach by this, then I expect him to be here till at least 2008.

Doing well in the Cup is also important if the US ever wants to get seeded in the WC. You see how great an advantage seeding is. Being seeded mean you face another strong team maybe 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 times. Not being seeded means you are almost guaranteed to face another strong team, and 1 out of 6 or so times you'll face 2 (like the US did).

Our bad performance in the last WC lost us some points in the seeding business, but a good Copa can really help that out (remember that's one of the reasons Mexico and not the US was seeded - their record at top international level, which we could not match because we didn't even play in the Copa).

FinsAreLife
02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Im excited for US soccer and there future. I've been playign soccer for 11 years now and love it. Sure it takes a back seat when it comes to football(i play football for school because soccer is the same season so i cant play both unfortunatley). But I sure like it alot. Lets Go USA!!!!

ckb2001
02-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Im excited for US soccer and there future. I've been playign soccer for 11 years now and love it. Sure it takes a back seat when it comes to football(i play football for school because soccer is the same season so i cant play both unfortunatley). But I sure like it alot. Lets Go USA!!!!

Any chance you're good enough to help out the Nats? :wink:

Quelonio
02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
So does any of you follow MLS???

ckb2001
02-16-2007, 10:11 PM
So does any of you follow MLS???

I used to. It wouldn't take me much to get back up to speed though if you're interested in talking about it. I've really only stopped following MLS since the WC.

Prime Time
02-16-2007, 11:53 PM
My brother follows MLS. Me...not so much ...

Quelonio
02-17-2007, 01:51 AM
I used to. It wouldn't take me much to get back up to speed though if you're interested in talking about it. I've really only stopped following MLS since the WC.

No I don't really follow it, I was just sort of gathering interest since I moved back to NYC, (I figure I got to follow at least one NYC team and the REd Bull sounds like they might be a good option)... Still I found out I can basically follow mexican soccer from here

(Of course I do that and we loose 4-2, and then 5-0)

FinsAreLife
02-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Im not as huge into the MLS as i am into the Preimership and the Internation play but i know a good amount about it and enjoy it.

I like the USL Division 1 more because my local team (Rochester Raging Rhinos) are in it and i am a huge fan of them. They are really seriously starting to look into moving up to the MLS. It helps that they put in a $40 mil. stadium last year that is even getting upgraded this year and next. If they make the move i will become way more serious about the MLS.

As for the Red Bull, they seem like a team on the rise. Bruce Arena is their coach and they just picked up Claudio Reyna which is huge for their club. I dont know a whole lot more on them.

ckb2001
02-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Hehe.. now we know how the official Copa America thread will still be here come Copa: we talk about MLS!! :lol:

Anyway, the good thing about the Red Bulls is their ownership. Finally, you have a serious investor in MLS. That team was the crapper of the league for a long time because of its failure to do much of anything in America's most important market!!

The only good model for an MLS team (and the only profitable one) is the Galaxy (and this was well before Beckham came). The Galaxy seem to have succeeded in catering to youth soccer. How they did it I don't know, but their stadium is sold out or close to sold out much of the time.

And yes, getting Arena will certainly help NY (glad they changed their name too.. I mean "Metrostars" is just :shakeno: .. Red Bulls actually sounds good); whatever Arena did or could not do with the Nats, there's no question he's among the elite in MLS, so you should expect good things from the Red Bulls. And because their owner has tons of money and is willing to invest it, the Red Bulls should someday get a star player too (right now, as far as I know, it's just rumors about who that will be).

finsmx
02-17-2007, 05:47 PM
U.S. likely to send "B" team to Copa America

The U.S. Soccer Federation and U.S. interim head coach Bob Bradley are facing a logistical nightmare. The Gold Cup will run from June 6-24, while the Americans' first match in Copa America against Argentina will take place on June 28 in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Given that club coaches in both MLS and in Europe will be reluctant to have their players participate in both tournaments, it seems likely that a different squad -- with a few exceptions -- will be used in each competition. Faced with that reality, Bradley made it clear on Wednesday where he would place his priorities.

"The Gold Cup is still the most important event for us," Bradley said. "Obviously, it's our confederation championship, but the main reason that I think it's extra important is because winning the Gold Cup will earn us three very good games in South Africa in 2009 [at the Confederations Cup]. Moving forward, the opportunity to try to play in order to get those kinds of games is very important."

Link (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=408759&root=us&campaign=fp&src=384493&cc=3888)

:rolleyes2

ckb2001
02-17-2007, 05:57 PM

The U.S. Soccer Federation and U.S. interim head coach Bob Bradley are facing a logistical nightmare. The Gold Cup will run from June 6-24, while the Americans' first match in Copa America against Argentina will take place on June 28 in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Given that club coaches in both MLS and in Europe will be reluctant to have their players participate in both tournaments, it seems likely that a different squad -- with a few exceptions -- will be used in each competition. Faced with that reality, Bradley made it clear on Wednesday where he would place his priorities.

"The Gold Cup is still the most important event for us," Bradley said. "Obviously, it's our confederation championship, but the main reason that I think it's extra important is because winning the Gold Cup will earn us three very good games in South Africa in 2009 [at the Confederations Cup]. Moving forward, the opportunity to try to play in order to get those kinds of games is very important."

Link (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=408759&root=us&campaign=fp&src=384493&cc=3888)

CRAP is all I can say. OK, let's actually tie Copa America and MLS together:wink:

MLS needs to take place from fall to spring instead of spring to fall. I mean I understand why all other things being equal spring to fall is better, but since the rest of the world operates on a different schedule, the US is doing a disservice to itself with this arrangement.

Anyway, thanks for the news finsmx.

FinsAreLife
02-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Wow, talk about bad scheduling...this sucks.

finsmx
04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Time for a :bump:

And some info about the FIFA world rankings as of April 18th

1. Italy 1,604 points
2. Argentina 1,594
3. Brazil 1,520
4. France 1,496
5. Germany 1,393
6. The Netherlands 1,302
7. Portugal 1,292
8. England 1,278
9. Spain 1,237
10. Czech Republic 1,169
11. Ukraine 1,021
12. Croatia 1,011
13. Cameroon 968
14. Romania 929
15. Greece 905
16. Russia 901
17. Turkey 892
18. México 888
19. Scotland 885
20. Switzerland 877
23. Uruguay 862
26. Colombia 825
29. United States 782
30. Ecuador 780

Quelonio
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Following the finsmx thing... It seems like ckb can rest a little easier, but that players are not very happy...

So who's willing to step up? Many of the U.S. players are more eager to play in the Gold Cup, especially MLS players (none more vocal than Landon Donovan), who could miss several weeks of the season between the two tournaments and training camps. But Bradley has suggested he plans to bring a close-to-full-strength roster to the Copa América.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jonah_freedman/06/06/usa.summer/1.html

How can you put more importance to the gold Cup than to the Copa America is beyond me.... well here's to kicking yer ***** in the Gold Cup!!

finsmx
06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Following the finsmx thing... It seems like ckb can rest a little easier, but that players are not very happy...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jonah_freedman/06/06/usa.summer/1.html

How can you put more importance to the gold Cup than to the Copa America is beyond me.... well here's to kicking yer ***** in the Gold Cup!!

So, Donovan is more eager to play against Guatemala (no offense to my buddy Guate), El Salvador and T and T than to play against Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia?

Ookay :rolleyes:

Quelonio
06-06-2007, 04:40 PM
So, Donovan is more eager to play against Guatemala (no offense to my buddy Guate), El Salvador and T and T than to play against Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia?

Ookay :rolleyes:

Sounds like it... just as long as he doesnt have to leave mommy or daddy in la for too long.

finsmx
06-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Brazil's official squad for Copa America (Ronaldinho and Kaka out)

Goalkeepers: Helton (Porto), Doni (Roma).

Defenders: Alex Silva (São Paulo), Alex (PSV Eindhoven), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Gilberto (Hertha Berlin), Maicon (Internazionale), Daniel Alves (Seville), Kleber (Santos).

Midfielders: Josue (São Paulo), Diego (Werder Bremen), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk), Mineiro (Hertha Berlin), Anderson (Manchester United), Fernando (Bordeaux), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Ze Roberto (Santos).

Forwards: Robinho (Real Madrid), Vagner Love (CSKA Moscow), Afonso (Herenveen), Fred (Lyon).

Good news for México (the squad), bad news for us fans i guess.

Link (http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/internationals/article2621492.ece)

Quelonio
06-07-2007, 01:24 AM

Defenders: Alex Silva (São Paulo), Alex (PSV Eindhoven), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Gilberto (Hertha Berlin), Maicon (Internazionale), Daniel Alves (Seville), Kleber (Santos).

Midfielders: Josue (São Paulo), Diego (Werder Bremen), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk), Mineiro (Hertha Berlin), Anderson (Manchester United), Fernando (Bordeaux), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Ze Roberto (Santos).

Forwards: Robinho (Real Madrid), Vagner Love (CSKA Moscow), Afonso (Herenveen), Fred (Lyon).

Link (http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/internationals/article2621492.ece)

That is still a good team... I hear that Argentina is going with Messi, Tevez and Crespo up front. Plus Gago, Mascha, Cambiasso.... damn they gonna be tough.

Prime Time
06-07-2007, 03:22 AM

From everything I've seen/read, it seems the US team will NOT be taking such a strong team. Donovan might not be going as well as some other starters. Bradley said anywhere from 8-12 players from the Gold Cup will be going to the Copa America. Now that is a good number BUT it could consist of the backup players on this Gold Cup roster. Heck, he has even said that Howard nor Keller will be in the Copa America roster, however that could change and I HOPE that it does.

As for which tournament is MORE important. For the US and Mexico, no question it is the Gold Cup. Not only is it OUR championship, but as Bradley has pointed out, the winner gets to go to the Confederations Cup in 2009 which is in South Africa, one year before the actual World Cup. Basically, it will be some major practice for the 2010 World Cup in the US' eyes...

Prime Time
06-07-2007, 03:31 AM

What would you consider that? Their B-, C+ team? I think they'll make some noise as they always do but won't make it to the Finals. Semis is as far as they go.

emeraldfin
06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
That Brazil squad is alot better than what you might think. Sure they dont have the big names but there is still alot of quality there in Gilberto, Robinho, Anderson, Fred, Danny Alves and Alex (who recently signed for Chelsea).

Will win the competition I'd say, although I hope they dont.

Prime Time
06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think so. Argentina and other squads will bring more of their "star" players....like I said semis is as far as that team CAN go.

Quelonio
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
From everything I've seen/read, it seems the US team will NOT be taking such a strong team. Donovan might not be going as well as some other starters. Bradley said anywhere from 8-12 players from the Gold Cup will be going to the Copa America. Now that is a good number BUT it could consist of the backup players on this Gold Cup roster. Heck, he has even said that Howard nor Keller will be in the Copa America roster, however that could change and I HOPE that it does.

As for which tournament is MORE important. For the US and Mexico, no question it is the Gold Cup. Not only is it OUR championship, but as Bradley has pointed out, the winner gets to go to the Confederations Cup in 2009 which is in South Africa, one year before the actual World Cup. Basically, it will be some major practice for the 2010 World Cup in the US' eyes...

Sorry man, but if Mexico does well in the Gold Cup, I don't care, I assume they will, they are supposed to win it or at least come second.

The Copa America is waaaaaaaay more important to me, I want to see Mexico be elite, not just the bigger fish in a small pond.

Prime Time
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Sorry man, but if Mexico does well in the Gold Cup, I don't care, I assume they will, they are supposed to win it or at least come second.

The Copa America is waaaaaaaay more important to me, I want to see Mexico be elite, not just the bigger fish in a small pond.

Well of course to US the fans it would mean more to do well in Copa America. To the organizations, the Gold Cup is more meaningful.

finsmx
06-13-2007, 09:43 PM
FIFA rankings for this month are here

The number in parenthesis indicates the +/- from last month rankings
1.- Italy (0)
2.- France (+2)
3.- Brazil (-1)
4.- Germany (+1)
5.- Argentina (-2)
6.- Portugal (+1)
7.- Spain (+2)
8.- England (0)
9.- Netherlands (-3)
10.- Czech Republic (0)
11.- Croatia (+1)
12.- Romania (+3)
13.- Ukraine (-2)
14.- Cameroon (-1)
15.- Greece (+1)
16.- USA (+13) WTF!!
17.- Sweden (+5)
18.- Poland (0)
19.- Ghana (+9)
20.- Ivory Coast (+5)
21.- Turkey (-2)
22.- Serbia (+9)
23.- Scotland (-9)
24.- Russia (-7)
25.- Switzerland (-4)
26.- México (-6) :shakeno:
27.- Denmark (-4)
28.- Bosnia-Herzegovina (+20) :eek:
29.- Northern Ireland (+4)
30.- Uruguay (-7)

Link (http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html)

Prime Time
06-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Hater????

Maybe the fact the USA has beaten Mexico with a B team in February this year and the fact they have only allowed THREE goals this year are the reasons for the boost.

Prime Time
06-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Colombia announces their squad....

Goalkeepers: Robinson Zapata (Cúcuta), Agustín Julio (Tolima) and Miguel Calero (Pachuca, Mexico)

Defenders: Jair Benítez (Cali), Javier Arizala (Tolima), Gerardo Vallejo (Tolima), Aquivaldo Mosquera, (Pachuca, Mexico), Iván Ramiro Córdoba (Inter, Italy), Amaranto Perea (Atlético de Madrid, Spain) and Mario Yepes (Paris Saint Germain, France)

Midfielders: Jorge Banguero (América), Alvaro Domínguez (Cali), Macnelly Torres (Cúcuta), Jaime Castrillón (Medellín), Camilo Zúñiga (Nacional), David Ferreira (Atlético Paranaense, Brazil), Fabián Vargas (Internacional, Brazil), Vladimir Marín (Libertad, Paraguay) and John Viáfara (Real Sociedad, Spain)

Forwards: Sergio Herrera (Cali), César Valoyes (Medellín), Hugo Rodallega (Monterrey, Mexico), Luis Gabriel Rey (Morelia, Mexico), Andrés Chitiva (Pachuca, Mexico) and Edixon Perea (Burdeos, France)

Prime Time
06-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Chile's Squad

Defenders: Pablo Contreras (Celta, Spain), Ismael Fuentes (Jaguars Chiapas, Mexico), Álvaro Ormeño (Gimnasia y Esgrima LP, Argentina), Sebastián Roco (Santiago Wanderers), Rodrigo Tello (Sporting, Portugal), Jorge Vargas (Salzburgo, Austria), Gonzalo Jara (Colo Colo), Miguel Riffo (Colo Colo) and Boris Rieloff (Audax Italiano).

Midfielders: José Luis Cabión (Melipilla), Matías Fernández (Villarreal, Spain), Gonzalo Fierro (Colo Colo), Manuel Iturra (Universidad de Chile), Arturo Sanhueza (Colo Colo), Rodrigo Meléndez (Colo Colo) Jorge Valdivia (Palmeiras, Brazil), Carlos Villanueva (Audax Italiano) and Mark González (Liverpool, England).

Forwards: Roberto Gutiérrez (Universidad Católica), Reinaldo Navia (Atlas, Mexico), Rodolfo Moya (Audax Italiano), Juan Gonzalo Lorca (Colo Colo) and Humberto Suazo (Colo Colo).

Prime Time
06-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Bolivia's sqaud

Goalkeepers: Hugo Suárez, Sergio Galarza

Defenders: Miguel Hoyos, Luis Torrico, Jorge Ortíz, Limbert Méndez, Edemir Rodríguez, Ronald Raldes, Pedro Zabala, Lorgio Alvarez, Juan Manuel Peña.

Midfielders: Leonel Reyes, Ronald García, Sacha Lima, Joselito Vaca, Gualberto Mojica, Darwin Peña, Gonzalo Galindo, Jhasmani Campos.

Forwards: Juan Carlos Arce, Nelson Sossa, Pablo Salinas, Augusto Andaveris, Jaime Moreno, Diego Cabrera.

Oh and If you are wondering where I am getting these teams from...none other then the official site...http://copaamericavenezuela2007.terra.com.br/default.asp?pag=home

emeraldfin
06-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Whats the general feeling in the US at the moment to how well you will do in the Copa America?

High or Low expectations?

finsmx
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Hater????

Maybe the fact the USA has beaten Mexico with a B team in February this year and the fact they have only allowed THREE goals this year are the reasons for the boost.

Hater?

A 13 spot jump in 1 month it's not very common, especially after only playing against teams like China, Guatemala, T and T and El Salvador :rolleyes2

Quelonio
06-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Hater?

A 13 spot jump in 1 month it's not very common, especially after only playing against teams like China, Guatemala, T and T and El Salvador :rolleyes2

and not winning any cups in the process...

Had we done that jump he would be complaining about how fifa favors us, kinda like when we where heads of group while they where placed in a harder group in the WC.

Prime Time
06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Hater?

We aren't the only ones that did it in the Top 50. Norway also made that type of jump this month...

Prime Time
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Whats the general feeling in the US at the moment to how well you will do in the Copa America?

High or Low expectations?

Depends on the squad they take out there. They say they'll take 8-12 of the same guys..but which guys that is, is uncertain.

I hope to see Donovan, Onyewu, Johnson, one of our 2 GKs, Bocanegra, and a few more out there.

That is unlikely however. I do hope that they call Nguyen from PSV, again if they start calling up young guns.

emeraldfin
06-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Was looking at your squad for the Gold Cup and it seems fairly strong, would it not have made more sense to name a half strenght squad for the Gold Cup and a full strenght one for the more competitve Copa America?

Would be a better indicator of how good, bad or average the US really are.

finsmx
06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Was looking at your squad for the Gold Cup and it seems fairly strong, would it not have made more sense to name a half strenght squad for the Gold Cup and a full strenght one for the more competitve Copa America?

Would be a better indicator of how good, bad or average the US really are.

No, according to Prime Time the gold cup is far more important :rolleyes2

Prime Time
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM
That would've made more sense BUT the US did not want to take any chances when it came to the Gold Cup. They want to win it because its our Cup and it guarantees us a spot in the 2009 Confederations Cup, which is big time practice for the World Cup.

emeraldfin
06-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Its just according to FIFA, the USA are the 16th best team in the world. I would like to see that proven, instead of playing the likes of Guatamala, Panama and the other central American powerhouses.

You need to be playing quality teams if you want to progress to the next level. Winning the Gold Cup is worth noting in terms of progression. Getting to a semi final in the Copa is worth a lot more.

Prime Time
06-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)

Defenders (8) – Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders (8) – Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United)

Forwards (4) – Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

Don't like the squad named but heck, what can I do. No Donovan, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Beasley :nono:

Looks like they'll try to get Johnson out of the slump by playing in some more games...most likely as a starter.

Watch out for Nguyen and Gaven. Nguyen has some nice moves in his arsenal. Wait and see :)

I expect them to at least get to the knockout phase...

finsmx
06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Mexico's squad:

Gk(2): Oswaldo Sanchez (Santos), Guillermo Ochoa (America)

Defenders(7): Johny Magallon (Chivas), Fausto Pinto (Pachuca), Rafael Marquez (Barcelona), Israel Castro (Pumas), Jose Antonio Castro (America), Gonzalo Pineda (Chivas), Francisco Rodriguez (Chivas)

Midfielders(6): Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Jaime Correa (Pachuca), Ramon Morales (Chivas), Jaime Lozano (Tigres), Andres Guardado (Atlas), Fernando Arce (Morelia)

Forwards(7): Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire), Adolfo Bautista (Chiapas), Omar Bravo (Chivas), Jared Borgetti (Cruz Azul), Nery Castillo (Olympiakos), Juan Carlos Cacho (Pachuca), Alberto Medina (Chivas)

Ricardo Osorio, Pavel Pardo, Carlos Salcido and Francisco Fonseca were left out of the squad.

Osorio, Pavel and Salcido asked to be left out of the squad saying they needed a break after playing continuously without a decent break.

This is just another sign that the team does not want Hugo in there, just a couple of weeks ago Salcido was demanding playing time after being left on the bench against Cuba.

Hugo's days are pretty much counted :yes:

Quelonio
06-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Mexico's squad:

Defenders(7): Johny Magallon (Chivas), Fausto Pinto (Pachuca), Rafael Marquez (Barcelona), Israel Castro (Pumas), Jose Antonio Castro (America), Gonzalo Pineda (Chivas), Francisco Rodriguez (Chivas)

Midfielders(6): Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Jaime Correa (Pachuca), Ramon Morales (Chivas), Jaime Lozano (Tigres), Andres Guardado (Atlas), Fernando Arce (Morelia)

Forwards(7): Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire), Adolfo Bautista (Chiapas), Omar Bravo (Chivas), Jared Borgetti (Cruz Azul), Nery Castillo (Olympiakos), Juan Carlos Cacho (Pachuca), Alberto Medina (Chivas)

Ricardo Osorio, Pavel Pardo, Carlos Salcido and Francisco Fonseca were left out of the squad.

Osorio, Pavel and Salcido asked to be left out of the squad saying they needed a break after playing continuously without a decent break.

This is just another sign that the team does not want Hugo in there, just a couple of weeks ago Salcido was demanding playing time after being left on the bench against Cuba.

And Nery is also bitching, and Marquez came up to say that things where better with LaVolpe, we might get our wish.

TotoreMexico
06-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Mexico's squad:

:woot:

Prime Time
06-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I hope he stays. He holds your team back from its full potential.

Mindwarp
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Have at it Boys.

Group A: Venezuela, Uruguay, Peru, Bolivia
Group B: Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, Mexico
Group C: Argentina, Paraguay, Colombia, United States

USA has a harder road this time.
lets make it 2 in a row boys!

Mindwarp
06-25-2007, 09:35 AM
USA round 1 Schedule

Thursday 28 June ARG v USA 20:50 in Maracaibo
Monday 2 July USA v PAR 18:35 in Maracaibo
Thursday 5 July USA v COL 18:35 in Barquisimeto

Tough way to start. Oguchi will have his trouble trying to keep Messi from scoring.

Oboy
06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
USA round 1 Schedule

Thursday 28 June ARG v USA 20:50 in Maracaibo
Monday 2 July USA v PAR 18:35 in Maracaibo
Thursday 5 July USA v COL 18:35 in Barquisimeto

Tough way to start. Oguchi will have his trouble trying to keep Messi from scoring.

Amen... do you know what channel will be showing the US games?

Mindwarp
06-25-2007, 09:56 AM
looks like TeleFutura & GolTV I have neither :(

Oboy
06-25-2007, 11:06 AM
I know I have Telefutura. My fun is I have an Argentine wife! So her and her brother are going to be ganging up on me!

Quelonio
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I know this is surprising... but there is a way older thread about it, finsmx, jumped the gun by about 6 months.

TotoreMexico
06-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I know this is surprising... but there is a way older thread about it, finsmx, jumped the gun by about 6 months.

Precoz:chuckle:

Quelonio
06-25-2007, 02:21 PM

:lol:

Sounds like finsmx alright....

Mindwarp
06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
so who's your favorite to win it all Brazil?

Quelonio
06-25-2007, 02:33 PM
so who's your favorite to win it all Brazil?

has to be argentina, Brazil is not going with a full squad, Argentina is, and they have an amazing team.

Argentina all the way.

Mindwarp
06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Im hoping USA pulls the upset and Colombia does also.

who am I kidding.

Quelonio
06-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Im hoping USA pulls the upset and Colombia does also.

who am I kidding.

Colombia could if Brazil and Argentina get themselves into trouble... but I sincerely doubt either the US or Mexico are going to amount to anything.

finsmx
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Sounds like finsmx alright....

:tantrum:

ckb2001
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Guys, don't get high on the US. Seriously, the team we are sending over there is not an A team, not a B team, and it's a serious question whether we can even call it a C team. Really, I think this is a wasted opportunity to get good experience for the starters.

Here's our roster:

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany)

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C.), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK, Denmark), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Drew Moor (Dallas), Heath Pearce (Nordsjaelland, Denmark), Marvell Wynne (Toronto)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Colorado), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg SV, Germany), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Ben Olsen (D.C.)

Forwards: Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Sweden), Herculez Gomez (Colorado), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City), Taylor Twellman (New England)

So, let's break it down. At goalkeeper we're fine with Keller who can easily start on the full side (though the future belongs to Howard).

At defender who do we have other than Bornstein??? Let me ask again.. who do we have??

Marvel Wynne is a GREAT prospect and maybe our future right back (best potential attacking right back), but realistically you expect him to make the 1st team by 2010 at best. He's just not ready yet. Jimmy Conrad is either B or C team and the rest are just... "fill in a curse here".

Midfield? OK, this will be interesting. Obviously, Feilhaber is good. But who else? None can claim to even get on the B team really, but this will be a (last?) opportunity for some who never got enough of a chance or a (first?) opportunity for those that have some potential.

Specifically, Gaven and Mapp are two that have shown at different times they can play well in MLS and were once thought to be part of our future. They somehow never broke through. So, this is a nice chance for them to try again (Mapp is more versatile, but Gaven has greater potential). And Nguyen will get his chance to do some tricks - he might have a bright future who knows. But guys like Ben Olsen are just stuffing - people you call up when no one else can come.

The forwards look better - both Johnson and Twellman are there, but not only is forward our weakest position, WHO is going to get them the ball??

Oh, and including Herculez Gomez is a great idea. He's done well at club level but never really got a chance.

So, in summary, if we lose all games, that shouldn't be surprising. As I said, wasted opportunity. Of course, you never know and the young guys might just show up...

guatemalanfan
06-25-2007, 10:26 PM
either brazil or argentina wins ths one. ets hope that is not Argentina

Prime Time
06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
This thread is better. :)

Prime Time
06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=183390

MERGE! Can't kill the original thread which was listed as "official" and has 4 pages of discussion AND has been around since Febrero! Please click :)

finsmx
06-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Holy crap I did started it back in February :eek:

Man, I'm a sick bastard :lol:

JuanchoColombia
06-25-2007, 11:54 PM
My dear Mexicans, my dear gringos, welcome to real competition :tongue:

I'm really thrilled about this new era colombian squad...... you'll see, you'll see!!! :evil:

too bad US won't play with the "a" team ..... now you'll have an excuse when we kick ur ***..... :tantrum:lol :lol:

Quelonio
06-25-2007, 11:57 PM
My dear Mexicans, my dear gringos, welcome to real competition :tongue:

I'm really thrilled about this new era colombian squad...... you'll see, you'll see!!! :evil:

too bad US won't play with the "a" team ..... now you'll have an excuse when we kick ur ***..... :tantrum:lol :lol:

Have you seen Juan Pablo Angel? I mean he is playing against lesser opposition in the MLS but the man is sick... he is just like a man among boys, it has been fun to watch him be awesome here in NYC (actually jersey, but you know what I mean)

vmarcilfan75
06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
:woot:
GO COLOMBIA!!

unluckyluciano
06-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Holy crap I did started it back in February :eek:

Man, I'm a sick bastard :lol:
It's like you knew it was coming or something.............

JuanchoColombia
06-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Have you seen Juan Pablo Angel? I mean he is playing against lesser opposition in the MLS but the man is sick... he is just like a man among boys, it has been fun to watch him be awesome here in NYC (actually jersey, but you know what I mean)

actually I'm glad he isn't in the squad anymore.... he didn't "sentia la camiseta", he plays great for his club teams, but he sucked in the national squad...... he only plays well when there's tons of $$$...:fire:

and we don't need him anymore, there is tons of new talent on his position: Sergio Herrera (Cali), César Valoyes (Medellín), Hugo Rodallega (Monterrey, Mexico), Luis Gabriel Rey (Morelia, Mexico), Andrés Chitiva (Pachuca, Mexico) and Edixon Perea (Burdeos, France)

and also Fredy Montero and Sergio Galvan Rey, the top scorers of this year's local tournament but they didn't got convoqued for the Copa America :fire: :confused:

TotoreMexico
06-26-2007, 12:30 AM
actually I'm glad he isn't in the squad anymore.... he didn't "sentia la camiseta", he plays great for his club teams, but he sucked in the national squad...... he only plays well when there's tons of $$$...:fire:

and we don't need him anymore, there is tons of new talent on his position: Sergio Herrera (Cali), César Valoyes (Medellín), Hugo Rodallega (Monterrey, Mexico), Luis Gabriel Rey (Morelia, Mexico), Andrés Chitiva (Pachuca, Mexico) and Edixon Perea (Burdeos, France)

and also Fredy Montero and Sergio Galvan Rey, the top scorers of this year's local tournament but they didn't got convoqued for the Copa America :fire: :confused:

Rodallega sucks

Rey sucks right now (He was good with Atlante)

Chitiva is an ok player

TotoreMexico
06-26-2007, 12:32 AM
It's like you knew it was coming or something.............

:spit:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/06/crystal_ball_lg-1.jpg

JuanchoColombia
06-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Rodallega sucks

Rey sucks right now (He was good with Atlante)

Chitiva is an ok player

Yeah, I know...... it really pisses me off when this happens, a player wins a spot in the squad for what they've done before, not for what they're doing right now, and players that are in great moment don't make the squad because of them...:tantrum:

look at Calero, too old, bad moment, big name and past: 1st GK....... David Ospina, 19 years old, great moment, just won local championship, great moment, lesser name... didn't make the squad, even as a substitute :fire:

TotoreMexico
06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I know...... it really pisses me off when this happens, a player wins a spot in the squad for what they've done before, not for what they're doing right now, and players that are in great moment don't make the squad because of them...:tantrum:

look at Calero, too old, bad moment, big name and past: 1st GK....... David Ospina, 19 years old, great moment, just won local championship, great moment, lesser name... didn't make the squad, even as a substitute :fire:

Damn, what a shame:shakeno:

Who's your coach?

TotoreMexico
06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
****! Guardado is doubtfoul for the game against Brazil:boohoo:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=572003&s=gen&type=story

Borgetti is out for the Copa America (I don't want to see Omar Briago starting:fire:, I'd rather see Cacho)

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=571894&s=gen&type=story

JuanchoColombia
06-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Damn, what a shame:shakeno:

Who's your coach?

Jorge Luis Pinto

but I actually like him, he doesn't fall in these "roscas" too much, he don't convocate players for friendships or personal conveniences ($$$).....

a few years ago, Luis Augusto Garcia, the national squad coach back then, put his son on the squad... and he wasn't even a pro, he was on the practice squad of a local team!!!:tantrum: :lol: it makes me laugh now...

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 02:50 AM
US will give Colombia a run for their money, even with our B team.

TotoreMexico
06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Jorge Luis Pinto

but I actually like him, he doesn't fall in these "roscas" too much, he don't convocate players for friendships or personal conveniences ($$$).....

a few years ago, Luis Augusto Garcia, the national squad coach back then, put his son on the squad... and he wasn't even a pro, he was on the practice squad of a local team!!!:tantrum: :lol: it makes me laugh now...

Oh man, that's just wrong

Lozano played for Hugo in Pumas and now he's crap, but still he's in the squad:rolleyes:

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Who's ready for tonight??? :)

Quelonio
06-26-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm passing, I am not in the mood to watch soccer and everytime I see my sig I am reminded of that... so as far as I am concerned (and even though I love Uruguay and Argentina) I am out of this one for a while.

vmarcilfan75
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM

those are the 2 teams im rooting for(Colombia first), sucks theyre in the same group :(

ckb2001
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM

Our C team you mean.

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm passing, I am not in the mood to watch soccer and everytime I see my sig I am reminded of that... so as far as I am concerned (and even though I love Uruguay and Argentina) I am out of this one for a while.

You won't even be watching tommorow? Mexico vs Brazil? And damn that game musta taken a lot out of you. I'd be the same had U.S. lost...

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 05:35 PM
those are the 2 teams im rooting for(Colombia first), sucks theyre in the same group :(

I dislike Colombia. I hope USA wins :)

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Our C team you mean.

Yeah sorry.

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I think Argentina will win the whole thing. They should because they have an amazing squad they're taking.

ckb2001
06-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I think Argentina will win the whole thing. They should because they have an amazing squad they're taking.

Argentina's lucky Brazil cares primarily about the World Cup. Really, Brazil is the only nation on the planet that could look down slightly at a competition like Copa America (they'd probably do the same to EURO 2008 if they were a European country - send a good squad, but not their best).

Having said that, with Italy's recent WC win, it's by a hair-thin margin now that Brazil is historically #1. I mean we're talking PK's in a WC final!! So, maybe they should try and rack up some more Copa wins?

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Vamos Peru Carajo! 2-1 Peruvians will win. Hopefully...

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Argentina's lucky Brazil cares primarily about the World Cup. Really, Brazil is the only nation on the planet that could look down slightly at a competition like Copa America (they'd probably do the same to EURO 2008 if they were a European country - send a good squad, but not their best).

Having said that, with Italy's recent WC win, it's by a hair-thin margin now that Brazil is historically #1. I mean we're talking PK's in a WC final!! So, maybe they should try and rack up some more Copa wins?

Argentina and Uruguay both have 14. It'll be a while before they can tie it up.

guatemalanfan
06-26-2007, 06:07 PM

whose playing tonight?

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Peru v Uruguay which is right now...and Venezuela vs Bolivia.

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaal De Peru! Villalta!

JuanchoColombia
06-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I dislike Colombia. I hope USA wins :)

I dislike you. I hope Colombia wins :) :tongue:

vmarcilfan75
06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I dislike you. I hope Colombia wins :) :tongue:

:yeahthat:

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Haters. :lol:

JuanchoColombia
06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
wow, nice goal for Peru.... I have to admit, no matter how much I hate you LOL

finsmx
06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow Uruguay has been on the decline for a while now, losing to Peru :shakeno:

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 08:03 PM
:lol: Peru OWNS Uruguay tonight. 3-0....wow , and what a goal

Prime Time
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Bolivia and host nation Venezuela tied 1-1 at the moment...half time...

Quelonio
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I like Uribe... I hope Peru does well....

MExico Brazil tomorrow... dunno if I should be happy about that.

FFiB
06-27-2007, 01:13 AM

I am not a Copa America expert but I always thought that the Copa America is the equivalent of the European Championship.

I couldn't imagine having a national team send their U21 to the EC qualification or even tournament.

ckb2001
06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I am not a Copa America expert but I always thought that the Copa America is the equivalent of the European Championship.

I couldn't imagine having a national team send their U21 to the EC qualification or even tournament.

Argentina has historically taken the tournament very seriously. They often do send many of their best and have won the tournament more than any other team with 15 (though Uruguay is one behind with 14).

But, Brazil is quite well known for sending a good squad, but not their best. It's good for some Brazil players that normally have a hard time getting into the squad to show their stuff. In the 2004 tournament where Brazil's B team beat out Argentina's A team (more or less for both sides - Brazil did have a few top players), Adriano was one of those that got a chance to shine and that got him into the first squad. Brazil really only cares about the WC.

Anyway, look at what the US is sending. It's really a C team if at all that! (scheduling conflicts etc.. are the main reason).

FFiB
06-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Argentina has historically taken the tournament very seriously. They often do send many of their best and have won the tournament more than any other team with 15 (though Uruguay is one behind with 14).

But, Brazil is quite well known for sending a good squad, but not their best. It's good for some Brazil players that normally have a hard time getting into the squad to show their stuff. In the 2004 tournament where Brazil's B team beat out Argentina's A team (more or less for both sides - Brazil did have a few top players), Adriano was one of those that got a chance to shine and that got him into the first squad. Brazil really only cares about the WC.

Anyway, look at what the US is sending. It's really a C team if at all that! (scheduling conflicts etc.. are the main reason).

Then why participate in such tournament? If your Cs play against other Bs and some lower As, maybe some Ds (darn that sounds like Victoria's Secret here...:sidelol:).

If the MLS doesn't take its national team serious.....which brings me back to the other thread regarding ownership.
:evil:

ckb2001
06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Then why participate in such tournament? If your Cs play against other Bs and some lower As, maybe some Ds (darn that sounds like Victoria's Secret here...:sidelol:).

If the MLS doesn't take its national team serious.....which brings me back to the other thread regarding ownership.
:evil:

MLS should change its schedulling to make this stuff work easier. As I've said before many times, this is a truly wasted opportunity. The US's best players should be in Copa getting good experience. I mean this is Argentina's best squad we're talking about (our first opponent).

Either way, it's better we participate than not. At least some guys that might make the team in the future have an opportunity to show something.

By the way, there's no point criticizing the single-entity structure of MLS. That's an economic necessity for now. Otherwise, MLS will go the way of the NASL. Better to have a league in the first place than none at all :wink:

JuanchoColombia
06-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Copa America is a really important cup for South American teams, but not just for the trophy itself, but for being the last test for the teams before the WC qualifyers that start a few months later, so it tends to be very competitive

finsmx
06-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I like Uribe... I hope Peru does well....

MExico Brazil tomorrow... dunno if I should be happy about that.

No one should be happy about having a GOOD chance of getting they're *** kicked :cry:

finsmx
06-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Ecuador beating Chile 2-1 at the half in a very good match.

finsmx
06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Chile managed to turn things around and is winning now 3-2 with only compensation time left.

Edit: Chile just won

vmarcilfan75
06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
BRA/MEX games on

guatemalanfan
06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Chile managed to turn things around and is winning now 3-2 with only compensation time left.

Edit: Chile just won

3-2? well I didnt expect them to come back

guatemalanfan
06-27-2007, 09:20 PM
1-0 mexico, maybe Guadalupe is better than Brazil

jk

guatemalanfan
06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
2-0 jajaj

vinlakers22
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
2-0 Mexico, the second goal came on a free kick from a few yards outside of the 18, great strike, Doni didnt even move as the ball was curled into the corner

Prime Time
06-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow, where was this Mexico on Sunday? :lol:

I don't really care for either of these two teams, but good for Mexico. We (mostly hispanics) here at work are watching the game and people are mostly going for Brazil, but not me.... I was hoping for a tie :evil:

guatemalanfan
06-27-2007, 09:42 PM

I don't really care for either of these two teams, but good for Mexico. We (mostly hispanics) here at work are watching the game and people are mostly going for Brazil, but not me.... I was hoping for a tie :evil:

That just tells you that CONCACAF isnt that bad :lol:

finsmx
06-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Nery is owning everybody out there :kick:

guatemalanfan
06-27-2007, 10:16 PM
well great for Mexico, lets hope the US wins tomorrow

finsmx
06-27-2007, 10:34 PM
well great for Mexico, lets hope the US wins tomorrow

Yeah... Let's not :evil:

guatemalanfan
06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah... Let's not :evil:

they are playing argentina. I just hope argentina loses everygame

vmarcilfan75
06-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Mexicos goalie is awesome tonight

finsmx
06-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Mexicos goalie is awesome tonight

He's pretty much the GK of the future for us (I believe he's under 21)

Quelonio
06-27-2007, 11:15 PM
He's pretty much the GK of the future for us (I believe he's under 21)

He is, he is 20... Memo Ochoa and Nery are my favorite players by far (Guardado too).

the team still sucked though, they outplayed us every way possible, but Nery is a crack and he gave us a shot thanks to his play, Memo gave us a shot thanks to his play. It was a great result, but it was still not a team thing, we would do so much better if we where working with a coach that could really take advantage of everyone out there.

Still, great result, hope we get better as a team and stop depending on Ochoa and on Nery.

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 01:30 AM
OOOMFGG!!

I'm semidrunk right now

Go MExico!!!!!!

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 01:50 AM
Mexico owns Brazil!:evilmod:

emeraldfin
06-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Great result for Mexico. That was not a bad Brazil side out there last night, even though it was missing their world class players. But I would be wary of Ecuador and Chile. Both played some great attacking football last night and wont be any push-overs.

Still expect Mexico and Brazil to go through.

Mindwarp
06-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Ochoa was on fire last night. Some of thous stops I could not believe he made and recovered so fast!

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 09:31 AM
OOOMFGG!!

I'm semidrunk right now

Go MExico!!!!!!

aquie en guate se dice q estas happy :lol:

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
He is, he is 20... Memo Ochoa and Nery are my favorite players by far (Guardado too).

the team still sucked though, they outplayed us every way possible, but Nery is a crack and he gave us a shot thanks to his play, Memo gave us a shot thanks to his play. It was a great result, but it was still not a team thing, we would do so much better if we where working with a coach that could really take advantage of everyone out there.

Still, great result, hope we get better as a team and stop depending on Ochoa and on Nery.

:lol: Nery is a beast....

BTW, nice sig ;) :up:

Section126
06-28-2007, 03:03 PM
tonight at 8:45 is USA vs. ARG...

What channel is this gonna be on?

Section126
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
found it...channel 23 locally so far...

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
found it...channel 23 locally so far...

Don't expect much out of our guys. We SHOULD lose by at least 2 goals...

And where were you last month for La Copa de Oro?

Section126
06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Don't expect much out of our guys. We SHOULD lose by at least 2 goals...

And where were you last month for La Copa de Oro?

I was around.....

I expect us to play well....confidence should be high.

Argentina sending their A- squad out there...can't be good. :lol:

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Argentina 3 - 0 USA

Hope it's a tie though

Section126
06-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Argentina 3 - 0 USA

Hope it's a tie though

Why not 47 goals scored by Argentina...US disbands soccer program.

I would be surprised by a white washing. Soccerl is mostly about confidence. Confidence can carry you through talent for one particular match.

I expect a great performance today.

I say 1-1 Tie or 2-1 loss.

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Why not 47 goals scored by Argentina...US disbands soccer program.

I would be surprised by a white washing. Soccerl is mostly about confidence. Confidence can carry you through talent for one particular match.

I expect a great performance today.

I say 1-1 Tie or 2-1 loss.

Nah, only 3, too bad you don't like my prediction

Section126
06-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh No...I heard that Argentina was going with a tough squad....

here it is:

Keepers:
Roberto Abbondanzieri
Juan Pablo Carrizo
Agustín Orión

Defenders:
Javier Zanetti
Roberto Ayala
Gabriel Heinze
Gabriel Milito
Daniel Díaz
Hugo Ibarra
Nicolás Burdisso

Midfielders:
Luis González
Juan Román Riquelme
Javier Mascherano
Esteban Cambiasso
Fernando Gago
Juan Sebastián Verón
Pablo Aimar

Forwards:
Lionel Messi
Hernán Crespo
Diego Milito
Carlos Tevez
Rodrigo Palacio

We are screwed.

even the more sweeter if we can grab a result.

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 04:15 PM

here it is:

Keepers:
Roberto Abbondanzieri
Juan Pablo Carrizo
Agustín Orión

Defenders:
Javier Zanetti
Roberto Ayala
Gabriel Heinze
Gabriel Milito
Daniel Díaz
Hugo Ibarra
Nicolás Burdisso

Midfielders:
Luis González
Juan Román Riquelme
Javier Mascherano
Esteban Cambiasso
Fernando Gago
Juan Sebastián Verón
Pablo Aimar

Forwards:
Lionel Messi
Hernán Crespo
Diego Milito
Carlos Tevez
Rodrigo Palacio

We are screwed.

Man if the US wins this game, I will feel better about losing the Gold Cup to you guys:o

It's gonna be a great game!:kick:

Section126
06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Starting Unit:

GK: Abbondanzieri (Getafe-ESP);

DF: Zanetti (Inter-ITA), Ayala (Villarreal-ESP), Milito (Zaragoza-ESP), Heinze (Manchester United-ENG);

MF: Verón (Estudiantes), Mascherano (Liverpool-ENG), Cambiasso (Inter-ITA);

AMF: Riquelme (Villarreal-ESP);

FW: Messi (FC Barcelona-ESP); Crespo (Inter-ITA)

WHAT is the US's starting unit?

Section126
06-28-2007, 04:24 PM
US is sending a young roster:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_950276.html

3-0 is right.

no Donovan, Bocanegra, Howard, or beasley, looks like no Maestroeni either...

ckb2001
06-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Starting Unit:

GK: Abbondanzieri (Getafe-ESP);

DF: Zanetti (Inter-ITA), Ayala (Villarreal-ESP), Milito (Zaragoza-ESP), Heinze (Manchester United-ENG);

MF: Verón (Estudiantes), Mascherano (Liverpool-ENG), Cambiasso (Inter-ITA);

AMF: Riquelme (Villarreal-ESP);

FW: Messi (FC Barcelona-ESP); Crespo (Inter-ITA)

WHAT is the US's starting unit?

I don't know the starting unit, but here's the roster:

Roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany)

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Danny Califf (Aalborg BK, Denmark), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (Nordsjaelland, Denmark), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Colorado), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg SV, Germany), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Ben Olsen (D.C. United)

Forwards: Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Sweden), Herculez Gomez (Colorado), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City), Taylor Twellman (New England)

C team as you can see.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing Wynne and how far he's come. Also Nguyen did well at the U-17's and I haven't seen him since so that will be interesting.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 04:43 PM

here it is:

Keepers:
Roberto Abbondanzieri
Juan Pablo Carrizo
Agustín Orión

Defenders:
Javier Zanetti
Roberto Ayala
Gabriel Heinze
Gabriel Milito
Daniel Díaz
Hugo Ibarra
Nicolás Burdisso

Midfielders:
Luis González
Juan Román Riquelme
Javier Mascherano
Esteban Cambiasso
Fernando Gago
Juan Sebastián Verón
Pablo Aimar

Forwards:
Lionel Messi
Hernán Crespo
Diego Milito
Carlos Tevez
Rodrigo Palacio

We are screwed.

That is basically their A team. We have almost nobody. I expect us to lose by at least two, but am hoping for and predicting a tie.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't know the starting unit, but here's the roster:

Roster:

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Danny Califf (Aalborg BK, Denmark), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (Nordsjaelland, Denmark), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Colorado), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg SV, Germany), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Ben Olsen (D.C. United)

C team as you can see.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing Wynne and how far he's come. Also Nguyen did well at the U-17's and I haven't seen him since so that will be interesting.

You didn't watch the 2 flashy runs he made against China in his first Cap? :lol:

And USA's starting lineup won't be announced until an hour before kick off. Argentina named their starting 11 way before because they felt they could. Maybe cockiness?? Hopefully. That is what cost them to lose to us in the 1995 Copa America.

ckb2001
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
That is basically their A team. We have almost nobody. I expect us to lose by at least two, but am hoping for and predicting a tie.

To get an idea of how strong that team is, note they can't even start Tevez in that line-up - a guy far and away better than any field player the US has ever produced!!

ckb2001
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
You didn't watch the 2 flashy runs he made against China in his first Cap? :lol:

And USA's starting lineup won't be announced until an hour before kick off. Argentina named their starting 11 way before because they felt they could. Maybe cockiness?? Hopefully. That is what cost them to lose to us in the 1995 Copa America.

Well, it's different this time around. In 1995 we had a full squad and they sent nobodies.. This time, we (the weaker team) send nobodies and they send their best squad.. :lol:

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 04:48 PM
To get an idea of how strong that team is, note they can't even start Tevez in that line-up - a guy far and away better than any field player the US has ever produced!!

They're deep alright. Aimar (who I consider better then Riquelme, Riquelme's game pace is slow and he is overrated IMO, but that's another topic for another day) isn't even starting! El payasito is nasty with it.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, it's different this time around. In 1995 we had a full squad and they sent nobodies.. This time, we (the weaker team) send nobodies and they send their best squad.. :lol:

Incorrect. They sent their top guys, they just didn't play them against us because they thought it would be a cake walk and because it was the last game of the Group Stage. When we were up 3-0, Pasarella (the coach at the time) tried to make some changes. He put in one of my favorites of all time Batistuta, but it was too little too late.

ckb2001
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Incorrect. They sent their top guys, they just didn't play them against us because they thought it would be a cake walk and because it was the last game of the Group Stage. When we were up 3-0, Pasarella (the coach at the time) tried to make some changes. He put in one of my favorites of all time Batistuta, but it was too little too late.

Yeah, true, and thanks for the added info. But the point remains that they didn't play their A team against our A team.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, true, and thanks for the added info. But the point remains that they didn't play their A team against our A team.

That's true. Should be interesting tonight for sure. And go Paraguay.

finsmx
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
ivcxcbiSYmU

:hail:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ivcxcbiSYmU

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
:lol: Nice goal.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 07:07 PM
GOL DE PARAGUAY AFTER A MISSED PK BY COLOMBIA...ajajajaja

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 07:42 PM
21 secs into the 2nd half and Paraguay makes it 2-0....

finsmx
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Paraguay kicking some Colombian ***!

4-0 with 5 minutes to play :eek:

Sorry Juancho

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
5-0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Santa Cruz is goleador del torneo. 3 goals.

finsmx
06-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Guess I talked too soon :chuckle:

Paraguay is stacked at forward with Santa Cruz, Cabañas and Cardozo. I wish they would have saved some goals for the US :evil:

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
:lol: Don't forget about Pepino Cuevas. He's good.

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 08:35 PM
5-0 What and 3 goals in the last minutes. wow

finsmx
06-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Are you ready for some Futbol? :lol:

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 08:47 PM
USA time!!!! Come on guys. 1-1 tie I predict.

Good luck guys.

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
USA time!!!! Come on guys. 1-1 tie I predict.

Good luck guys.

I say 1-0 US:)

finsmx
06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
:eek: Holy crap!

finsmx
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Eddie "stone feet" Johnson scores on a penalty kick!

USA 1-0

:eek:

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
golazooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo de usa

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
yea 1-0 US

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Eddie Johnsonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

finsmx
06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Argentina and Crespo take little time to tie the game

guatemalanfan
damn goal argentina

Prime Time
:( ...1-1

Phins28
06-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Argentina is going to win 4-1

finsmx
06-28-2007, 09:06 PM

Seriously I wish you guys would have send your A squad, this game would be so much better. Besides the kind of strategy the US uses is an extremely pain in the *** for Argentina.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 09:13 PM

We'll see. They should...

Phins28
06-28-2007, 09:24 PM
We'll see. They should...

yeah they are loaded with superstars.

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
yeah they are loaded with superstars.

overated superstars

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Keller! Wow!

Mindwarp
06-28-2007, 09:36 PM
if you cant see it on TV its streaming live online

http://www.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/channel/30deportes/images/copa_stadium_nissan.swf

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
golazooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo de usa

:rolleyes:

It was a PK

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 09:42 PM
:rolleyes:

It was a PK

Against Argentina's A team with our C team. Golazo in my eyes :)

dolphinfan2k5
06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
if you cant see it on TV its streaming live online

http://www.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/channel/30deportes/images/copa_stadium_nissan.swf

:allhail:

Thank you!

finsmx
06-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Against Argentina's A team with our C team. Golazo in my eyes :)

No surprise there :lol:

ChrisKo
06-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Whew, that was a close one (Arg in the 61st minute...didn't catch who it was that broke down that left side). US seems to be moving the ball pretty decently at the start of this half. Let's Go USA!!!!

finsmx
06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Crespo scores again!

ChrisKo
06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Bah!!!! just as I typed that. Wow, not offside either :(

ChrisKo
06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Maybe I should talk about how Arg looks good in this half, so the US can score. :D

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Damn Argentina scores again:fire:

ChrisKo
06-28-2007, 10:25 PM
beautiful goal, wrong team......oh well, thats game.

finsmx
06-28-2007, 10:26 PM
beautiful goal, wrong team......oh well, thats game.

:yes:

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Ese sí es un golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazoooooooooooooooo

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Ese sí es un golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazoooooooooooooooo

Not as nice as the GOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLLLLLLLLAZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOO!
to clinch the Gold cup.

We are out of gas....C team is right...this is a joke that they left 5 front line players at home.

finsmx
06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

ChrisKo
06-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow, they are rails off now, another goal. :cry:

finsmx
06-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Looks like you nailed it

TotoreMexico
And another goal

Section126

Mocking your fellow Mexicant's?

Since when are all these mexicans Argentina fans? Didn;t they like...send you guys home int he world cup?

Too bad you need their A team to do this to our C team to make you feel better.

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Bradley's first loss.

and a bad one...no matter what.

They gassed out there. lack of conditioning.

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Not as nice as the GOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOLLLLLLLLAZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOO!
to clinch the Gold cup.

We are out of gas....C team is right...this is a joke that they left 5 front line players at home.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/06/whambulance-1.jpg

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/06/whambulance-1.jpg

Post cute little things as much as you want....call me daddy. go ahead...do it.

ChrisKo
06-28-2007, 10:38 PM
How'd your Gold Cup go again?

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:39 PM

Since when are all these mexicans Argentina fans? Didn;t they like...send you guys home int he world cup?

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Post cute little things as much as you want....call me daddy. go ahead...do it.

Booohooooooooo:boohoo:

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Booohooooooooo:boohoo:

Call me daddy.

Say daddy Section126....

you know you want to...you need to.

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Call me daddy.

Say daddy Section126....

you know you want to...you need to.

Mindwarp
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
****, dejo el stupido partido 1-1 para poner mi hija a dormir y el equipo se questa a dormir tambien.

me cago en ellos

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:46 PM
****, dejo el stupido partido 1-1 para poner mi hija a dormir y el equipo se questa a dormir tambien.

me cago en ellos

Suele pasar

finsmx
06-28-2007, 10:47 PM

I don't need Argentina to beat your team to make me feel better, we just beat a very good Brazilian team last night (without 5 or 6 starters)

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Totore....say it..."daddy".

you know you want to.

Just do it...at least have Hugo Sanchez call me and say it.

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:49 PM

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't need Argentina to beat your team to make me feel better, we just beat a very good Brazilian team last night (without 5 or 6 starters)

you better...because your mexicant's can't.

:wink:

it's all good....at least mexican food, tequila, and beer rule.

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Argentinos cerote. How could US lose today agaisnt argentina

finsmx
06-28-2007, 10:53 PM
you better...because your mexicant's can't.

:wink:

it's all good....at least mexican food, tequila, and beer rule.

:unsure: Okeey then..

guatemalanfan
06-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Suele pasar

mmm a mi nunca me ha pasado :err: :unsure:

TotoreMexico
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
mmm a mi nunca me ha pasado :err: :unsure:

Porque no tienes hijos:goof:

Section126
06-28-2007, 10:59 PM
:unsure: Okeey then..

just having a little fun with you guys.

come on...you weren;t the guy that watched your team lose 4-1.

I predicted 2-1 loss or 1-1 if we had our full squad...when I saw the squad that travelled I said 3-1. So I was dead on in my assesment.

But I must say that I am dissapointed in the boys.

No reason to get gassed like that. then get raped.

it also reminded me why Eddie johnson doesn;t get as much time as i want him to.

the guy is a demon for 40 minutes...then he stands around the rest of the way.

Jimmy Conrad...what was that? he's better than that horrible display.

Gaven showed some energy....gomez as well.....

twellman? :sidelol:

vinlakers22
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
The result aside, I was very impressed with some performances tonite. This Argentina side is extremely talented and one of the best squads in the world. They have the luxury of bringing in world class players such as Tevez, Aimar, and Gago off the bench.
I was very impressed with Bornstein, he kept Messi quiet in the first half so much so that Messi was shifted to the left for most of the second half.
Also impressed with the play of Demerit, Wynne, Feilhaber.
Eddie Johnson, Ricardo Clark, Mapp also played decent games. Ben Olsen did well in the first half. Did I forget anyone?
I have never been a fan of Twellman and I dont think he brings much to the team at all. I thought Keller could have done better on both Crespo goals, he had no chance on the Aimar or Tevez goals. I have no doubt that Howard will be our goalie in 2010 and I feel comfortable with him in net.
I dont have high hopes for this tournament as we are going to struggle to score goals, but there are some players who will contribute to the national team in the future, so hopefully this can get these kids some experience against top quality opponent.

Prime Time
06-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Mapp is going to be Beasley's back up it seems in 2010, not Convey. Also, supposedly, good play for him in this tourney could lead him going to Europe to play footy from what I've heard.

4-1...although I am upset its a loss, I won't lose any sleep over it. It is our "C" team for crying out loud. Against Argentina's A team. We did the unimaginable and start it 1-0. Argentinians and Maradona where scared....that would've been a disaster to lose to our C team.

Good game for Argentina, they won the way they were predicted to do so.

Quelonio
06-29-2007, 02:59 AM
I wish I have seen it, but they did not show it here, or at least I didn't find it listed, and then I had to go to watch Live Free and Die Hard.

I love ARgentina thouhg, and I love knowing they won.

emeraldfin
06-29-2007, 04:52 AM
The result last night is the reason why the USA are not respected in Europe. Top 20 in the world!!!!!!! No where near that.

The Copa America is the one time, apart from the World Cup, where you have a chance to show the world how good football in the US is, and you make a show of yourselves.

The "C" team excuse is'nt valid cause you sent your best squad to win a cup only two teams have a real chance of winning so you could qualify for the meaningless Confed's Cup.

Prime Time
06-29-2007, 05:15 AM
The result last night is the reason why the USA are not respected in Europe. Top 20 in the world!!!!!!! No where near that.

The Copa America is the one time, apart from the World Cup, where you have a chance to show the world how good football in the US is, and you make a show of yourselves.

The "C" team excuse is'nt valid cause you sent your best squad to win a cup only two teams have a real chance of winning so you could qualify for the meaningless Confed's Cup.

Meaningless? It's good practice for the World Cup.

Had we sent our B squad, I don't think we would've been able to defeat Mexico's A team in the finals. Reason Mexico can send an A team to both is because they are not in midseason like the MLS is.

Section126
06-29-2007, 11:39 AM

it was our C team dude. Last I checked...5 starters missing is important. There is no doubt whatsover that the match would have been tight with our A squad.

The reason the europeans don't respect USA soccer is because of their arrogance. Who are you kidding.

Quelonio
06-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Had we sent our B squad, I don't think we would've been able to defeat Mexico's A team in the finals. Reason Mexico can send an A team to both is because they are not in midseason like the MLS is.

Ehem... Mexico did not send an A team to the Copa America, we are missing Pardo, Salcido, Osorio, and Guardado... that is 4 starters, one of them (Pardo) the team captain.

Having said that, he is right, results like this (B team or not) are the reason Concacaf cannot get any respect, we do great when we play each other, but then we choke when we play out of conference (or should I remind both you and Section your confidence that Costa Rica was going to amount to something in the WC)

Section126
06-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Ehem... Mexico did not send an A team to the Copa America, we are missing Pardo, Salcido, Osorio, and Guardado... that is 4 starters, one of them (Pardo) the team captain.

Having said that, he is right, results like this (B team or not) are the reason Concacaf cannot get any respect, we do great when we play each other, but then we choke when we play out of conference (or should I remind both you and Section your confidence that Costa Rica was going to amount to something in the WC)

I was dissapointed in C.R as well...they did choke pretty bad.

But I stand by my assertion that the full American squad would have played a very good game.

like I said..i am convinced that it would have been 2-1 or 1-1 with our A team.

ckb2001
06-29-2007, 01:50 PM
it was our C team dude. Last I checked...5 starters missing is important. There is no doubt whatsover that the match would have been tight with our A squad.

The reason the europeans don't respect USA soccer is because of their arrogance. Who are you kidding.

5 starters missing? More like 8 or so. Howard, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Cherundulo, Mastroeni, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

ckb2001
06-29-2007, 02:00 PM

Others have already made the main points. But, I will add one thing about the Gold Cup. The main reason that's so important is for seeding purposes in the WC. In terms of which is more important for the WC, the Gold Cup clearly dominates.

In terms of which is more important recognition-wise, sure by far it's Copa America. But, Bradley had to make some decisions regarding scheduling concerns with MLS and even with clubs in Europe. So, yes it's a wasted opportunity, but the coach and players weighed the various alternatives and decided this was best. Can't argue too much with that you know. In the end it is primarily practice for the World Cup.

Section126
06-29-2007, 02:21 PM
5 starters missing? More like 8 or so. Howard, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Cherundulo, Mastroeni, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

I said 5 because of Dempsey, Howard, Bocanegra being in and out of the starting lineup.

but the point is well taken.

wpgfishfan
06-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Without jumping down my throat.

Why would the US and Mexico not have there best players in this tourney instead of the Gold Cup.

Also could there players not have played in both tourneys??

vmarcilfan75
06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
maybe not as important as the Gold Cup. since US won the cup they are automatically qualified for the World Cup.(i think)

Copa america they were invited.

ckb2001
06-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Without jumping down my throat.

Why would the US and Mexico not have there best players in this tourney instead of the Gold Cup.

Also could there players not have played in both tourneys??

see two posts above yours.

ckb2001
06-29-2007, 05:36 PM
maybe not as important as the Gold Cup. since US won the cup they are automatically qualified for the World Cup.(i think)

Copa america they were invited.

We aren't automatically qualified for the WC. The Gold Cup just helps in seeding for the WC. The qualifications for the WC haven't begun and will take place mostly in the year leading up the WC.

vmarcilfan75
06-29-2007, 05:42 PM
oh oops. Sorry :(

finsmx
06-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Others have already made the main points. But, I will add one thing about the Gold Cup. The main reason that's so important is for seeding purposes in the WC. In terms of which is more important for the WC, the Gold Cup clearly dominates.

In terms of which is more important recognition-wise, sure by far it's Copa America. But, Bradley had to make some decisions regarding scheduling concerns with MLS and even with clubs in Europe. So, yes it's a wasted opportunity, but the coach and players weighed the various alternatives and decided this was best. Can't argue too much with that you know. In the end it is primarily practice for the World Cup.

They need to make the national team a priority, no one cares about MLS.
And I'm not sure there's even competition going on right now in Europe (at least not in the big leagues)

Quelonio
06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
And I'm not sure there's even competition going on right now in Europe (at least not in the big leagues)

No... all european soccer is shutdown, these are FIFA dates, so even if there where games the European clubs would have to lend their players even if they didn't want to. The only league that continues play at this point is the MLS.

Mexico was going to take their best team, but a lot of the players argued being tired and dropped out.

Still, I think we should all admit that although are nations are in the top 20 of best teams of the world, we are still ways away from being elite.

ckb2001
06-29-2007, 07:28 PM

Yeah, personally I agree, but it is what it is. MLS needs to schedule their games in line with the rest of the world, just as many others here have said.

ckb2001
06-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Still, I think we should all admit that although are nations are in the top 20 of best teams of the world, we are still ways away from being elite.

We are both 3rd class. There needs to a class for the very best teams like Brazil, Italy and Germany (historically). Maybe one or two others can get into this group (like Argentina) depending on how good they are at the moment. Then you have the next class with teams like the Netherlands, England, Spain, etc.. Only after those are gone do you have teams like the US and Mexico.

But, top 20 is definitely realistic, though we're likely in the 15-20 group.

FFiB
06-29-2007, 11:53 PM

I really don't understand it either. In the Gold Cup it is more important to fiddle around with your best squad against Guadaloupe and the likes instead of sending your top squad to Copa America. Hey, the US wants exposure? Get to the finals in the Copa America.

The C-Team is the build in excuse. They probably know that they couldn't handle Copa America so they might as well send the "c-squad". Got a build-in excuse for failure.

If I would be a US player I'd rather play Argentina instead of Guatemala, El Salvadore and T&T.

FFiB
06-30-2007, 12:00 AM

I think the arrogance is on the US side. I remember the big talk before last year's WC how they could win it all and how they are amongst the top teams and the only ones ahead of them were Brazil.

And honestly, even if the Europeans would be arrogant they deserve it. Europeans (mainly France, Italy, Germany) and South Americans (mainly Brazil and Argentina) are dominating the WC.

All I hear from the US squad are excuses: oh they cheated us, oh we play with our c-team. There is a difference between playing proud and being arrogant. Throughout the world teams play with pride, the US is arrogant.

I highly doubt that you can call any National Team a C-Squad. There is really only your top team and then your reserves. Unless you go in every position into the 3rd squad you play with a modified top team. All the teams have to do it at one point or another. Most of the times it is because of injuries, the US has chosen to put a few reserve players in. It was their choice.

FFiB
06-30-2007, 12:04 AM

The entire WC and EC qualification is in mid season. And teams make their players available. Lousy excuse.

And who cares if the MLS is in midseason. They want exposure, adjust your schedule accordingly.

PS: and the MLS was not in mid season when the Gold Cup was played? Or last year's WC, which was in June/July?

FFiB
06-30-2007, 12:07 AM

All the leagues in Europe are done. They are preparing for next season which starts in some countries next month.

FFiB
06-30-2007, 12:15 AM

The Gold Cup has no bearing on the WC whatsoever. The seedings in the WC is based on the qualifications and the world standing. You may get a couple more points by winning the Gold Cup but the Gold Cup has also a lower rating than Copa America or the EC. Its not an easy system. I'd say that you could make a jump higher by winning Copa America than the Gold Cup. As a matter of fact, a loss against Argentina could give you more points than a win over Panama. And what does the Gold Cup BIG points help if you don't qualify?

The only effect the Gold Cup has is that the winner can play in the "pain in the butt" Confed Cup. But the downside is bigger than the upside.

ckb2001
06-30-2007, 12:33 AM
The Gold Cup has no bearing on the WC whatsoever. The seedings in the WC is based on the qualifications and the world standing. You may get a couple more points by winning the Gold Cup but the Gold Cup has also a lower rating than Copa America or the EC. Its not an easy system. I'd say that you could make a jump higher by winning Copa America than the Gold Cup. As a matter of fact, a loss against Argentina could give you more points than a win over Panama. And what does the Gold Cup BIG points help if you don't qualify?

The only effect the Gold Cup has is that the winner can play in the "pain in the butt" Confed Cup. But the downside is bigger than the upside.

You're wrong about this. First of all, seedings are based on prior WC performance AND FIFA rankings. And FIFA rankings weight your matches based on what kind of match it is. Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings#2006_ranking_system_update

"Friendly match x 1.0
FIFA World Cup and Continental cup qualifiers x 2.5
Continental cup and Confederations Cup finals x 3.0
World Cup finals match x 4.0"
-----------------

First of all, since the US has a better chance of winning the Gold Cup than the Copa America (and the matches are equally weighted), it's wiser to focus on winning the Gold Cup if you care about seeding (only top 8 are seeded and US is like 13th or something like that last I looked.) Furthermore, it qualifies you for the Confederations Cup where the matches are weighted higher.

So, if the goal is to make it more likely you will be seeded, the US did the right thing.

ckb2001
06-30-2007, 12:39 AM
I think the arrogance is on the US side. I remember the big talk before last year's WC how they could win it all and how they are amongst the top teams and the only ones ahead of them were Brazil.

And honestly, even if the Europeans would be arrogant they deserve it. Europeans (mainly France, Italy, Germany) and South Americans (mainly Brazil and Argentina) are dominating the WC.

All I hear from the US squad are excuses: oh they cheated us, oh we play with our c-team. There is a difference between playing proud and being arrogant. Throughout the world teams play with pride, the US is arrogant.

I highly doubt that you can call any National Team a C-Squad. There is really only your top team and then your reserves. Unless you go in every position into the 3rd squad you play with a modified top team. All the teams have to do it at one point or another. Most of the times it is because of injuries, the US has chosen to put a few reserve players in. It was their choice.

First of all, the talk among more optimistic US fans was that we might reach the quarter finals. The more level-headed of us were thinking we'd get into the second round. I don't remember anyone being serious about us winning the WC, so you don't have a basis for that argument, at least among almost all serious US soccer fans.

And bringing a C team to a tournament lowers expectations. Of COURSE that is a valid excuse. I even said before all this that one shouldn't be surprised if the US loses all its games because of that.

You're from Germany right? Don't you remember the excuses German teams that lost to the US in friendlies made? Yup, lots had to do with "not bringing our best players".

The excuse is valid. Seriously, look at the roster and you can't say with a serious face that's made of the second best 11 we have on average. Too many players are just not seriously on the radar for one to say that. This team you see is NOT our reserves. Overall, our reserves are stronger than that. I mean just look at the roster!!

FFiB
06-30-2007, 12:49 AM
You're wrong about this. First of all, seedings are based on prior WC performance AND FIFA rankings. And FIFA rankings weight your matches based on what kind of match it is. Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings#2006_ranking_system_update

"Friendly match x 1.0
FIFA World Cup and Continental cup qualifiers x 2.5
Continental cup and Confederations Cup finals x 3.0
World Cup finals match x 4.0"
-----------------

First of all, since the US has a better chance of winning the Gold Cup than the Copa America (and the matches are equally weighted), it's wiser to focus on winning the Gold Cup if you care about seeding (only top 8 are seeded and US is like 13th or something like that last I looked.) Furthermore, it qualifies you for the Confederations Cup where the matches are weighted higher.

So, if the goal is to make it more likely you will be seeded, the US did the right thing.

Riddle me this:
The US won the Gold Cup in 2005, was ranked 5th in the World prior to the WC in 2006 and they were still placed in Pot D. So what did the Gold Cup victory in 2005 do for the 2006 WC? What do you expect for them to get a seeding of top 8 now?

And just for your info. You can also get minus points in the rankings. So with a pathetic showing in the Copa America they may just have lost the Gold Cup points. They got left the Confed Cup. And you better not suck there. The USA will be facing the WC Champ, the EC Champ and Copa America Champ. You may just lose more points there as well. It is a lousy gamble for a move within Pot D, maybe, at best, up to pot C.

But my anger is not why they have chosen one cup over another. My anger is that they are crying and blaring how little respect they get and the little exposure and they are not even professional enough to work themselves up into the elite. They should have gone with their best squad into BOTH tournaments. PERIOD!!!!

FFiB
06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
First of all, the talk among more optimistic US fans was that we might reach the quarter finals. The more level-headed of us were thinking we'd get into the second round. I don't remember anyone being serious about us winning the WC, so you don't have a basis for that argument, at least among almost all serious US soccer fans.

And bringing a C team to a tournament lowers expectations. Of COURSE that is a valid excuse. I even said before all this that one shouldn't be surprised if the US loses all its games because of that.

You're from Germany right? Don't you remember the excuses German teams that lost to the US in friendlies made? Yup, lots had to do with "not bringing our best players".

The excuse is valid. Seriously, look at the roster and you can't say with a serious face that's made of the second best 11 we have on average. Too many players are just not seriously on the radar for one to say that. This team you see is NOT our reserves. Overall, our reserves are stronger than that. I mean just look at the roster!!

Friendlies are not competitions like EC, Copa America or the WC. The only time you have a full squad for a friendly is the tune up for the WC.

To be honest I don't even know which game you are talking about. And I can not recall Germans whining about not bringing their full squad to a meaningless friendly.

And I am not talking about fans when speaking of arrogance (eventhough that goes without even mentioning it). Oh no, I am talking the ESPN appearances by the players.

And it has nothing to if I am from Germany or not. The US is my home. I want them both to win. I want this sport to grow in this country. I lost already an MLS team. I am hoping to get one one day back. I am hoping that the competition is better one day. I am hoping that the US gets out of their little bubble and realize that to compete with the best you have to go out there with your best and play the best. CONSTANTLY!

As a second class team you have no right whatsoever to choose and pick your competition and then expect respect.

ckb2001
06-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Riddle me this:
The US won the Gold Cup in 2005, was ranked 5th in the World prior to the WC in 2006 and they were still placed in Pot D. So what did the Gold Cup victory in 2005 do for the 2006 WC? What do you expect for them to get a seeding of top 8 now?

And just for your info. You can also get minus points in the rankings. So with a pathetic showing in the Copa America they may just have lost the Gold Cup points. They got left the Confed Cup. And you better not suck there. The USA will be facing the WC Champ, the EC Champ and Copa America Champ. You may just lose more points there as well. It is a lousy gamble for a move within Pot D, maybe, at best, up to pot C.

But my anger is not why they have chosen one cup over another. My anger is that they are crying and blaring how little respect they get and the little exposure and they are not even professional enough to work themselves up into the elite. They should have gone with their best squad into BOTH tournaments. PERIOD!!!!

Last time, Mexico barely edged the US out in rankings and got seeded as a result, instead of us being seeded. By the way, Mexico did participate in the Confed Cup, and I remember some on some soccer boards doing calculations of how it would have been different had the US won the Gold Cup and went to the Confed Cup. Well, that's past history, but it was very close with Mexico edging the US out.

Now, of course you can get minus points, but the question is NOT whether it's better to have sent the A team to BOTH the Gold Cup and Copa America - obviously, that's the best option! I as coach would have done that.

No, the question is IF you had to choose: either send the A team to Copa or the A team to the Gold Cup AND participate in both, well the US definitely did the right thing.

And winning the Gold Cup gets you more points by far than losing all three games in the group stage in Copa America. So, we already easily got net points there, even without the Confed Cup.

As far as the respect thing, being fair, arguments on both sides have merit. It's hard to argue the Europeans (even many average soccer fans) lower their estimate of US ability if one JUST goes by record. I've been in such debates before and did a bunch of statistical stuff, but the key point is it seems that if you don't know it was the US that had that particular record, the estimate of ability seems to be higher. I mean I've heard so many arguments putting Mexico well above the US, teams like Turkey or Sweden, etc.. all teams that are realistically in the same class as the US simply above us. And that's evidence of SOME sort of bias, not sure what.

On the other hand, the US is asking for more respect than it deserves, that's clear. I mean in the last 4 WC we came in last, close-to last, made it to the second round, and went to the quarter-finals. That's not that great a showing. So, I think it goes both ways. And sending such a weak team to such an important competition as Copa America is disrespectful, not to mention a waste of a great chance at getting the kind of experience the US needs.